SKIES DARKEN

Citizen Cain

Citizen Cain Skies Darken album cover

Buy CITIZEN CAIN Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. The Charnal House (4:56)
2. The Long Sleep (12:25)
3. Darkest Sleep / Manifestations (7:09)
4. Spiders In Undergrowth (3:05)
5. The Hunting Of Johnny Eue / Trapped By Candlelight (11:59)
6. Coming Down / The Fountains Of Sand / Delivered Up For Tea / Death And Rebirth (14:53)
7. Do We Walk In The World? (5:10)
8. Lost In Lonely Ghosts (13:43)

Search CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken lyrics

Search CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken tabs

- Stewart Bell / Keyboards & Drums
- Cyrus / Bass & Vocals
- Phil Allen / Guitar & Backing Vocals

Festival Music 2012

Thanks to PaulH for the addition

CITIZEN CAIN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken Music

FISH "Fellini Days" (ORG)Clepsydra,Shakary,Cast,Metaphor,Citizen Cain US $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Ghost Dance [Remastered] by Citizen Cain (CD, Jun-2013) US $13.75 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday Rmst CD US $23.69 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Citizen Cain - Raising the Stones CD (Progressive Rock, Symphonic Prog) 2013 US $13.49 Buy It Now 2 days
CITIZEN CAIN - RAISING THE STONES NEW CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Citizen Cain - Raising The Stones (Remastered) [CD New] US $21.68 Buy It Now 5 days
Citizen Cain : Raising the Stones CD (1998) US $12.91 Buy It Now 7 days
CITIZEN CAIN - GHOST DANCE [REMASTERED] - NEW CD US $14.48 Buy It Now 7 days
CITIZEN CAIN Playing Dead CD (2002) PROG New 2013 Remasted PROG Scotland Sealed US $17.99 Buy It Now 8 days
CITIZEN CAIN Ghost Dance CD PROG (EARLY RECORDINGS 199?) 2013 Remasted PROG UK US $17.99 Buy It Now 8 days
CITIZEN CAIN Ghost Dance (Festival Music 201212A) Remastered CD; Neo-Prog Rock US $15.65 Buy It Now 9 days
CITIZEN CAIN Playing Dead (Festival Music 201212E) Remastered CD; Neo-Prog Rock US $15.65 Buy It Now 9 days
CITIZEN CAIN Raising The Stones (Festival Music 201212D) Remastered CD; Neo-Prog US $15.65 Buy It Now 9 days
CITIZEN CAIN Serpents In Camouflage (Festival Music 201212B) Remastered CD/2CD US $20.35 Buy It Now 9 days
CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken (Festival Music 201204) CD; Neo-Prog/Progressive Rock US $15.65 Buy It Now 9 days
CITIZEN CAIN Somewhere But Yesterday (Festival Music 201212C) Remastered CD US $15.65 Buy It Now 9 days
Ghost Dance (Remastered) - Citizen Cain (2013, CD New) US $17.88 Buy It Now 13 days
Somewhere But Yesterday (Remastered) - Citizen Cain (2013, CD New) US $18.17 Buy It Now 13 days
Playing Dead (Remastered) - Citizen Cain (2013, CD New) US $17.91 Buy It Now 13 days
CITIZEN CAIN - PLAYING DEAD [REMASTERED] - NEW CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 15 days
TOM COCHRANE AND RED RIDER 1986 Vinyl LP The Loading Citizen Cain River Of Stone US $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
CITIZEN CAIN - RAISING THE STONES [REMASTERED] * - NEW CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 17 days
CLEPSYDRA "Alone" (ULTRA RARE!!!!)Citizen Cain,Shakary,Zenit,Cast,Metaphor US $34.99 Buy It Now 17 days
CLEPSYDRA "Fears" (ULTRA RARE!!!!)Citizen Cain,Shakary,Zenit,Cast,Metaphor US $34.99 Buy It Now 17 days
KING CRIMSON "The Compact" (VERY RARE 1st press!!) Clepsydra, Cast, Citizen Cain US $14.99 Buy It Now 17 days
@ CD Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday RARE PROG SYMFO / SI MUSIC 1994 ORG US $29.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Citizen Cain - Ghost Dance (Remastered) [CD New] US $17.49 Buy It Now 19 days
Citizen Cain - Serpents In Camouflage [CD New] US $25.18 Buy It Now 19 days
Citizen Cain - Playing Dead (Remastered) [CD New] US $19.07 Buy It Now 21 days
CITIZEN CAIN SOMEWHERE BUT YESTERDAY.. PROG ROCK CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 22 days
CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken 2012 CD Festival 201204 PROG US $10.00 Buy It Now 23 days
(CD) Skies Darken / Citizen Cain / ProgRock US $9.99 Buy It Now 26 days
CITIZEN CAIN - GHOST DANCE NEW CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 26 days
CITIZEN CAIN - PLAYING DEAD NEW CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 26 days
CITIZEN CAIN - SERPENTS IN CAMOUFLAGE - BONUS CD - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $28.78 Buy It Now 26 days
CITIZEN CAIN'S STEWART BELL - THE ANTECHAMBER OF BEING SEALED NOV 2014 US $17.62 Buy It Now 27 days
CITIZEN CAIN - SOMEWHERE BUT YESTERDAY NEW CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 27 days
Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday (Remastered) [CD New] US $21.68 Buy It Now 28 days
CITIZEN CAIN - SOMEWHERE BUT YESTERDAY [REMASTERED] - NEW CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 28 days
CITIZEN CAIN - RAISING THE STONES (CYCL 059) CD US $25.00 Buy It Now 29 days
CYCLOPS SAMPLER 4 PROG ROCK 2CD MOSTLY AUTUMN CITIZEN CAIN FLAMBOROUGH KOPECKY US $13.77 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy CITIZEN CAIN music online Buy CITIZEN CAIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CITIZEN CAIN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken ratings distribution

CITIZEN CAIN Skies Darken reviews

3 stars It's been ten years since CITIZEN CAIN last released a studio album and it was one that I didn't think much of. I probably wouldn't have bothered with this one except that people were saying they had made their sound darker and heavier. They had my attention. A lot of Neo-Prog bands have changed to a heavier style and for the most part it's been an improvement. One of my complaints of latter day CAIN albums have been the long length of them plus the relentless vocals. I just get so tired of Cyrus' vocals being constantly in my face even though I do like them. Just give me some moderation(haha). Well they have scaled them back some but this is still a long album at over 73 minutes.

It has this theme running through it about how man has failed to learn from past mistakes and the skies are getting darker because of it. Soon it will catch up with humanity and the storm will break. There seems to be a lot of nursery rhyme references on this record as well.

"The Charnal House" is surprisingly heavy. Love the chunky bass, and vocals arrive a minute in. It's heavy again before 2 1/2 minutes as contrasts continue. It blends into "The Long Sleep" where we get some huge bass lines. A calm with piano before 3 minutes and reserved vocals join in. It kicks back in quickly. Again contrasts continue. Spoken words late. "Darkest Sleep / Manifestations" has this marching styled rhythm as the vocals join in. It's building. A calm before 2 minutes then it kicks back in a minute later. I like these powerful sections. "Spiders In Undergrowth" features lots of piano.

"The Hunting Of Johnny Eue / Trapped By Candlelight" has a good heavy sound 2 minutes in then the vocals arrive and it's not as heavy. These contrasts continue. An atmospheric calm 9 minutes in. Great sound of drums and synths when it kicks back in. "Coming Down / The Fountains Of Sand / Delivered Up For Tea / Death And Rebirth" has a powerful intro with chunky bass. A calm with reserved vocals before 1 1/2 minutes and the piano joins in. It continues to be laid back until before 6 minutes when we get a bombastic instrumental section that ends before 8 minutes. Impressive. Spoken words late. "Do We Walk In The World ?" opens with piano as the vocals join in. Bass and drums too. Lots of synths before 4 minutes. It's heavy late as it blends into "Lost In Lonely Ghosts". Vocals follow then we get a silent calm 3 minutes in then the reserved vocals return before it kicks back in.

A good album but i'll stick with their first two studio albums thankyou. 3 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#780364) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 30, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars I first came across Citizen Cain in 1993 when their debut CD was released by Dutch label SI Music, but in truth they had already been active for some time before that, appearing on the famous compilation 'Fire In Harmony' back in 1985. I was immediately taken by the Gabriel- esque vocals of Cyrus, and the way that the band managed to evoke the spirit and feeling of early 70's Genesis but had brought them into the 90's. I was hooked. Over the years there were some line-up changes, and gradually the output slowed with the last release being 'Playing Dead' in 2002. Like many I never really thought that there would be another album, although I kept in touch with keyboard player Stewart Bell and often asked the question. So, it was both delight and trepidation last year when I heard that the band were recording again. I mean, after all this time was it going to be any good?

When the disc arrived I opened the booklet to see who was involved, and could see just three names ? Cyrus, Stewart and Phil Allen. Annoyingly for me there are no details about who played what, and who (if any) were the additional musicians involved. The Citizen Cain website is still under construction, and the Festival Music site just lists releases so neither are helpful in this regard. I did find a few details on one site where it states that Stewart provided drums as well as keys, Cyrus provided bass (as he did in the early days of the band) and vocals and Phil provided guitars. There is a very simple reason as to why this bothers me, as we need to give credit where credit is due as this is an absolutely stunning piece of work. To put it bluntly, this is one of the finest prog albums you are ever likely to hear.

Put it in the player and immediately the listener is taken aback by the complexity and interplay of the introduction to "The Charnal House". The maelstrom of notes and complicated inter-rhythms gives way to delicate piano and vocals, and one of the most Genesis-like passages of the whole album. Already the listener is deep inside the world of Citizen Cain, and with less than three minutes on the clock there has been musically a lot to digest. The interplay between the musicians, and particularly the way that the melodies and counterpoints are chased and are at times heavily structured and dense, contrast greatly with the simplicity of other phases of the music. And all of this within one song! Stewart's keyboards are a revelation, bringing together a multitude of sounds and styles, often layered, and he would need to be an octopus to be able to replicate this in a live environment.

By the time I got to the end of this album I felt that I had been taken on an incredible musical journey, one with a richness and passion to match anything I have heard in recent years. The only sane thing to do after listening to this is put it back on. The more I have played it the more I have fallen into the spell. So it took 10 years for this one, when's the next? 5/5 in anyone's language.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#786364) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 11, 2012

5 stars When Citizen Cain's Skies Darken begins with "The Charnal House," I get the impression they have gone Metal as the aggressive attack of guitars recalls more Dream Theater or Tool than their previous Genesis inclinations. Then Cyrus comes in with his beautiful Gabriel-esque vocals and Stewart Bell wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#749676) | Posted by mbzr48 | Sunday, May 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's been a while since we heard from these guys but with Skies Darken it was well worth the wait! Once again we are treated to Cyrus' brand of quirky storytelling, complete with nursery rhyme references and occasional maniacal outbursts, as in the very strong track "The Hunting Of Johnny Eue" wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#749639) | Posted by Progatron | Sunday, May 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Citizen Cain are one of the most underated neo-prog groups. They are often dismissed as "another early Genesis aping band". This is totally unfair. Apart from Cyrus's singing voice which is highly similar to early Peter Gabriel singing style (and how is that a bad thing?) their music, lyrics and ... (read more)

Report this review (#746162) | Posted by Lemmings | Sunday, April 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CITIZEN CAIN "Skies Darken"