THE ALLEGORY OF LIGHT

4. Zinjanthropus (12:31)
5. Industryopolis (6:33)
6. Forbidden (3:22)
7. Light speed (2:58)
8. The journey of Myrrdin (17:29)

Search SYZYGY The Allegory of Light lyrics

Search SYZYGY The Allegory of Light tabs

- Carl Baldassarre / guitars, guitar synth, bass, vocals
- Sam Giunta / piano, synthesizers
- Paul Mihacevich / drums, percussion, vocals

Syzygy Music Enterprises

SYZYGY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SYZYGY The Allegory of Light Music

A Glorious DisturbanceA Glorious Disturbance
Syzygy Music Enterprises 2013
Realms of EternityRealms of Eternity
CD Baby 2012
The Allegory of LightThe Allegory of Light
SYZYGY Music Enterprises, LLC 2009
JOE PLATZ & SYZYGY PERCUSSION - DRUM POWER NEW CD US $22.63 Buy It Now 21h 48m
PROGNOSIS 11-PROG ROCK PROMO CD-OPETH-INDICA-JAMES LaBRIE-19ADD-GODSTICKS-SYZYGY US $3.99 [0 bids]
Chill Out or Die, Vol. 3..M-Age/Tanzmuzik/Syzygy/Transform/Neutron 9000 (1994) US $13.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MEMPHIS MESSIAH/SYZYGY/VALHALLA - Y95 Future Classics 94 US $7.02 Buy It Now 2 days
HEAR! Reggae 45 SYZYGY Booshetabo on Fraternity US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Colorfeels Syzygy Vinyl (Like-New) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Syzygy - Allegory Of Light CD Pop Rock US $22.23 Buy It Now 6 days
Dalt Lucrecia - Syzygy LP Vinyl Record US $26.42 Buy It Now 6 days
Rumour Records- Technovisions CD (1993) Hardfloor/Syzygy/Top Buzz - The Best of US $19.79 Buy It Now 6 days
SYZYGY - LIGHT IS ALL AROUND BBC LABEL 7" VINYL RESL96 RARE US $4.54 Buy It Now 7 days
Platz,Joe & Syzygy Percussion - Drum Power [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 7 days
SYZYGY bright shining star 7" b/w ballerina (tap2) uk taptag US $8.42 Buy It Now 8 days
SYZYGY - REALMS OF ETERNITY NEW CD US $24.92 Buy It Now 8 days
SYZYGY - ALLEGORY OF LIGHT NEW CD US $26.81 Buy It Now 8 days
Allegory of Light - Syzygy New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $26.64 Buy It Now 9 days
Syzygy - Realms Of Eternity [CD New] US $17.23 Buy It Now 9 days
Lynch Mob - Syzygy EP (CD, 1998 Sacred Groove) Oni Logan Dokken George Lynch US $35.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Secret Life Of Trance 6 RARE Rising High RSN UK 2xCD LISTEN Caspar Pound Syzygy US $4.99 Buy It Now 14 days
A.M.P. STUDIO SYZYGY / ALIEN REGISTRATION OFFICE 2 x LP US $8.09 Buy It Now 15 days
SYZYGY Jazz LP Zeitlin, Marsh, Harris 1750 ARCH RECORDS US $21.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Secret Life Of Trance 2xCD MINT Electro / Syzygy LISTEN US $12.99 Buy It Now 15 days
D Del Tredici - I Hear An Army/Syzygy/Scherzo (1995) - Used - Audio Compact US $3.38 Buy It Now 15 days
Syzygy - Dalt,Lucrecia New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $27.04 Buy It Now 17 days
Dalt,Lucrecia - Syzygy [Vinyl New] US $23.21 Buy It Now 18 days
Syzygy / Hypnotist / Air Liquide / Secret Life Of Trance Rising High 2xCD LISTEN US $18.99 Buy It Now 18 days
LYNCH MOB, SYZYGY, EP, 1998, ORG, OOP, DOKKEN, ONI LOGAN US $39.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Jammin' Unit / Phobia / X-911 / Air Liquide / Kibu / Syzygy / Baby Doc 2xCD MINT US $18.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Chill Out Or Die II - RARE OOP 1994 UK Rising High 2CD Ambient LISTEN Syzygy US $49.99 Buy It Now 18 days
TARFALA TRIO / Mats Gustafsson / Barry Guy / Raymond Strid -SYZYGY- 2xLP no 7" US $35.00 Buy It Now 19 days
1750 Arch Jazz Fusion LP SYZYGY DENNY ZEITLIN George Marsh Ratzo Harris US $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
LUCRECIA DALT - SYZYGY NEW VINYL US $30.15 Buy It Now 20 days
Syzygy / Hypnotist / Secret Life Of Trance - 2xCD MINT US $18.99 Buy It Now 21 days
SYZYGY discovery ep 12" 4 trk in company sleeve b/w timestream, journey to the c US $8.42 Buy It Now 22 days
EAST-WESTERCISM CD - ELECTRONIC Biswa, Syzygy, Summit US $11.95 Buy It Now 23 days
## SYZYGY - BOOSHETABO / INTAKE 45 ROCK 1987 ################################### US $2.99 Buy It Now 23 days
SYZYGY Interchangeable Headblock 12" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $16.04 Buy It Now 23 days
Realms of Eternity - Syzygy New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.03 Buy It Now 24 days
SYZYGY "BOOSHETABO" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Syzygy - Terminus - Infonet - 1992 #242840 US $6.74 Buy It Now 25 days
SYZYGY - REALMS OF ETERNITY SEALED 2009 HIGHLY RATED USA PROG US $17.88 Buy It Now 26 days
Syzygy - Interchangeable Headblock Rising High #340253 US $5.05 Buy It Now 27 days
ORourke, Aaron Trio Syzygy CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 28 days
SYZYGY-CAN I DREAM-TRANCE/TECHNO/RISING HIGH @LISTEN@ US $8.09 Buy It Now 28 days
Syzygy - Allegory Of Light [CD New] US $18.60 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy SYZYGY music online Buy SYZYGY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SYZYGY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SYZYGY The Allegory of Light ratings distribution

SYZYGY The Allegory of Light reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
4 stars This disc recieved my nod for "Album of the Year - 2003." Mostly instrumental, it has that quality of Darkness (Heavy) and Light (subtle) that holds a listeners attention and makes you WANT to listen. The vocals, though weak, are expressive and don't taint the overall picture of the music.

Syzygy started out as Witsend in 1993 and released Cosmos and Chaos, an equal in quality performance, but had to change the name after someone else nabbed it up prior to their copywriting the name. Unfortunate, but I personally like the name Syzygy better.

M.O.T.H. (Master of the House) starts off with some stunning keyboard work remeniscient of ELP, very bombastic. It slows to the acoustic lines which support some spiritual lyrics, uplifting and sung with reverance. The tunes surges with the ebb and flow of power and grace. Beggar's Tale and Forbidden, the other two tracks featuring vocals, are small bits of folkish couterpoints to the largely energetic soloing throughout the other pieces.

The epic instrumental's: Industryopolis, Journey to Myrrdin and Zinjanthropus occassionally get very heavy when guitarist Carl Baldasarre unleases Petrucci-like leads that shake the house, but he follows through with acoustic panache to off-set the hard edges. Keyboardist Sam Guinta varies his styles and textures to create a cornucopia of influences and he too, keeps you guessing about what is coming around the next turn. Drummer Paul Mihacevich plays old school Carl Palmer, heavy on the snare, style drums.

Symphonic? Yes. Prog-Metal, close (at times) and may even be enjoyed by metal fans. Powerhouse? You bet.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#24852) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 08, 2004

Review by Prognut
4 stars I am a prog nut in all the sense, not really much in to prog-metal (with some exceptions). The Allegory of Light gets heavy at times but not that much for my taste (Thank God). There is something on this album that can not put my finger on it, but make my juices going. A fantastic discovery for me and probably without a doubt one of the top 10 best releases of last year and a fantastic way to end 2003. They probably are crazy fans of early Yes, but being said that Syzygy has make a personal and unique statement and that is what make this CD special. This comes to show that still in this time, people can make prog music at the level of the 70' without being imitators or clones. This is pure prog-Rock rigth in your face but, plenty of soft and mellow passages (Thank God again) and will probably can become a classic. I personally believe that the long instrumental suites are the best and to complement this the album come in a very nice packing and has a very good production overall. Very good/4stars.

Send comments to Prognut (BETA) | Report this review (#24854) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 28, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars well this album I bought on word of mouth and written reviews in specialized press (something I usually try not to do without having heard it) and was actually fairly disappointed . If anybody is interested in acquiring my fully legit cd , I can maybe send it for say ? 10.

Don't get me wrong , this is a fine album impeccably played, fine produced and full of great interplay and it must've taken an incredibible amount of time , effort and money to make it. By the way , I did not find much prog metal into this album but some high energy prog moments.

So where is the problem , you ask? Well, for the fact that I have not heard a single moment on this album not being derivative of another group. This makes it yet another umpteenth soul-less modern prog album , collaging moments from Yes , Kansas , Flour Kings (intended pun) and others but none from Syzygy itself. I mean the first one to have done such a thing (and superbly succeeded at it, because it was new and almost original) were Anglagard some thirteen (already?!?!?) years ago . Anglagard were absolutely inventive and even brought their own personal touches (not least singing in Swedish) which is where the difference lies in between Hybris and this album presently reviewed - Personality, inventiveness.

Since then , there has been countless albums doing just that (not least or last Flower Kings) but not being a clone band either - since they take their style from more than one band. The music meanders (however brilliantly executed ) pointlessly until one feels it is time for a sung verse and more movement "pasted on" until a brilliantly clicheed but grandiose finale.

For the cd , please contact Progarchives for my address.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#24856) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 13, 2005

4 stars This is a seventies inspired Symphonic record that is quite modern sounding, even recalling SPOCKS BEARD on the first track. These guys really show their stuff on this mostly instrumental record.

"M.O.T.H." won me over the first time I heard it. This is my favourite track on the album. It takes a minute but once it gets going i'm reminded of SPOCK'S BEARD with the flurries of sound. The drumming,keys and guitar are all top notch. It settles down as vocals come in. I like them. Strummed guitar helps out and what sounds like mellotron. It kicks back in a minute later with Howe-like guitar. Nice heavy rhythm 5 minutes in. Vocals and a calmer sound 6 minutes in. It doesn't last long,check out the guitar after 7 minutes and after 8 minutes. Ripping guitar 10 minutes in as well. The drumming is outstanding. "Beggar's Tale" is a pleasant song of mostly acoustic guitar and vocals. "Distant Light" opens with what sounds like mellotron as drums and a full sound come bursting in quickly. The drums and guitar shine bright on this one. Nice rhythm 2 minutes in. More mellotron after 3 minutes. The guitar starts to rip it up 4 minutes in. "Zinjanthropus" is led by piano early. How amazing does this sound 2 minutes in. Excellent guitar 4 1/2 minutes in. It settles back down with piano 7 minutes in. Blistering guitar and a full sound before 12 minutes.

"Industryopolis" surprisingly has a lot of industrial sounds including metallic percussion. The guitar is great. Lots of instrumental fire works on this one. "Forbidden" opens with acoustic guitar as reserved vocals join in. I like the brief background vocals 2 minutes in. Church bells end it. Sad song. "Light Speed" is not one of my favourites. It's a fast paced instrumental show that does little for me. "The Journey Of Myrrdin" makes up fo it though. Killer guitar to open, and the pulsating keys are fantastic. The guitar fires off some more rounds before the keys are back. Check out the drumming ! Nice heavy sound 2 minutes in followed by mellotron. The guitar 5 minutes in continues to impress. It calms right down 7 1/2 minutes in becoming atmospheric. The guitar destroys that mood 11 minutes in. A catchy beat follows. We get piano for almost 1 1/2 minutes before a spacey finale.

A low 4 stars from me even though this is so well played and arranged.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#174140) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 16, 2008

Review by Windhawk
4 stars US band Syzygy can trace it's root back to the 1990's, back then known as Witsend. Their first album was released under that moniker in 1993, and was a fine effort as far as debut albums go with it's blend of Genesis and ELP inspired material.

10 years later they resurface as Syzygy, and with a new album called "The Allegory of Light". In the decade that has gone by since their initial effort these three musicians have evolved quite a lot, first and foremost in the composing department. The songs are for the most part tighter and better assembled, the use of both subtle and stark contrasts to enhance the moods are much more of a distinct trait this time around, and the sonic palette utilized have expanded greatly.

The bombastic ELP-like bursts and the atmospheric, richly layered passages rather similar to vintage Genesis is still very much a part of the musical territories explored on this album, but this time around notable influences from other greats of the 70's are added in as well. Gentle Giant first and foremost, quite a few quirky, shifting themes have more than a passing nod in that direction. Harder edged, distorted guitar layers with Frippian attitudes is another addition to the songs this time around, while several folk-tinged segments brings both aforementioned Gentle Giant as well as Jethro Tull to mind. Those better versed in 70's prog will probably find a few other acts that have inspired the material at hand here as well, and with a few hair metal touches added in final track Journey of the Myrrdin as well as guitar shredding popping up on a few select occasions throughout, the end is a rather eclectic collection of tunes.

The main negatives about this production is the fact that many of the songs may sound just a bit too much like the bands mentioned above. The compositions as such may be innovative as a whole, but the individual parts used to construct it will more often than not sound a tad to derivative. Personally I don't mind though. The mellow, emotional track Forbidden is the only time I feel Syzygy manage to achieve perfection on this production though, but many other efforts here are pretty close. Towards the end of the album I start to loose a bit of interest though. The raunchy rocker Light Speed feels a bit out of place here, and the aforementioned Journey of the Myrrdin was too broken up for my personal taste even if containing quite a few stunning themes and passages.

All in all this is a strong album as I perceive it, and those who'd like to desire a veritable smorgasbord of 70's inspired progressive rock with eclectic attitudes should get quite a lot of enjoyment out of this effort.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#266628) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review by Wicket
4 stars During the typing of this review, I was heading home on a train from Boston listening to this album.

Strange, because I originally was ready to delete it from my phone because it looked...old.

Take an old Pontiac GTO today. A 1970's GTO looks old fashioned compared to modern day sleek designs, which is what I perceived by looking at this album cover. I was hoping not to be taken back to the 70's with this album either. However, "MOTH" gave me that kickstart I was hoping for. Although the lyrical talent in the track was lacking, he did not hurt the track at all seeing as there was more time for the instrumental showcase than a cheesy storytelling fantasy tale, which suited me just fine. The guitars and keys were mostly subdued from the intro, but deeper into the track (and earlier in their bluesy segue) the notes just flew by me like, well, a fast moving train. Only downside I have is the stop-start stuttering of the bands movement from the frantic prog rock antics to their slow acoustic chorus. It reminded me of a faulty brake system, something common in GTO's of the day.

"Beggar's Tale" started out like an ambitious prog folk tale and ended as a "someone was playing/singing in the wrong key signature the whole time". "Distant Light" is another instrumental showcase, except the vocals are cometely absent this time. "Zinjanthropus" was the second "epic" in the track and another one I found intriguing. The cultural instruments and influences were very prevalent in the intro, as well as the atonal chord progressions. It also was another track absent of vocals (which suited me fine; debut album or not, the vocals were fairly weak and inexperienced). The transitions in this track are much smoother as well, none of this stop-start crap.

"Industryopolis" reminds me of the King Crimson track of a similar nature on the dreade "Three of a Perfect Pair". The intro is very industrial sounding, but that's where the similarities end. First off, it's actually a good song (heyo). Secondly, it's instrumental; again, which brings up a moot point: why would Syzygy have vocals on the first track when they would be nearly absent from the rest of the album? Perhaps we'll never know, but again, the song structure is very complex like industry with mixed sounds added in that help make it sound very industrial and factory-like.

"Forbidden" is Carl Baldassarre's second chance to make an impression, and it certainly is an improvement over the butchered and chaotic "Beggar's Tale". Both guitars and vocals are in key (for once) and it makes for an entertaining listen. "Light Speed" is just another instrumental showcase, although it harkens back to that frenetic time of the 70's, where cars were fast and so were women (heyo). Like a GTO, it's all about speed here and the change of pace surely spices up the record.

"The Journey of Myradin" is the third epic and final track of this album and once again, it's all about the instrumental fretwork, although there's a dash of Jethro Tull and Dream Theater in the same track (two bands I hopefully will never have to mention on the same sentence again). Once again, it's instrumental. It's another pleasant listen if you love frantic instrumental fretwork and footwork.

I was very surprised at the end result of this product. It's surely not for every prog fan, and the outdated album cover will surely turn people away, but if you're willing to risk it for some instrumental magic, this album will be a purchase you won't regret.

Send comments to Wicket (BETA) | Report this review (#497259) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 04, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'The Allegory of Light' - Syzygy (6/10)

Look back to the early 90's; progressive rock had met an existential crisis, the 'Neo' wave of progressive bands were in steady decline, and the bands making the boldest statements in prog tended to be metal. It's not the ideal scenario for a vintage-inspired progressive rock band to get their headstart, but it didn't stop the US proggers Witsend and their 1993 debut, "Cosmos and Chaos". Weighting inventive instrumental prog and nylon-string classical guitar pieces in equal measure, Witsend's debut showed a young band with plenty of potential. Alas, Witsend disappeared, and nothing was heard of them until a decade later, when they reappeared as Syzygy. Although "The Allegory of Light" is now ten years old (thus making the story of Witsend twenty years aged at this point), its importance to the development and artistic maturation of Syzygy cannot be underrated. Syzygy's technically second album witnesses some marked improvements in the band's skill and craft, and though Syzygy's second effort has still not sold me entirely on what they're all about, there's no denying it; Syzygy are one of the most technically skilled bands among the US prog revival.

It's no surprise that a band would have experienced some degree of evolution and improvement over a ten year period, and that certainly rings true for Syzygy's return to the scene. Although Witsend had an impressive grasp of technical skill and musicality on "Cosmos and Chaos", there's a notable improvement in the way Syzygy play together. While the debut focused moreso on a balanced mix between traditional prog and Carl Baldassarre's nylon guitar pieces, "The Allegory of Light" puts a marked focus on their more complex and band-oriented side. Although there's a smattering of vocals throughout the album (provided here by Baldassarre himself), Syzygy capitalizes on their instrumental merits. Without the burden of making room for vocal parts, "The Allegory of Light" blossoms as a demonstration of technical might and tightness. Syzygy's take on progressive rock is far too hooked on vintage tradition to call it entirely 'modern', they're clearly aware of some of the scene's more recent developments. Though not metal by any means, Syzygy infuse their proggy observations with a grit and technical muster very rarely seen in the old days. The solo work of Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett is a close comparison to make with the sound these guys go for, although given the added modern edge, it wouldn't be out of place to compare Syzygy to progressive supergroup Transatlantic.

Although "The Allegory of Light" glows with the impressive chops of the musicians involved, Syzygy doesn't earn points on the side of originality. Although their production standard and extent of technicality give slight indications as to their modernity, Syzygy are locked in territory that should be familiar to progressive rock fans. Especially when they go fully instrumental, they often skirt the boundary between the lighter, lush and symphonic side of things, and the complex, tech-savvy end of the spectrum. It seems every major band that came out of the traditional progressive scene navigated this same territory to some extent, and though it's doubtful that there were too many bands outside of King Crimson and Gentle Giant that assumed Syzygy's focus on technicality, the fact remains that it's something that's been heard before, long before the days of Witsend, even. Homage to the glory days of progressive rock is precisely what Syzygy are wanting to do however; their expressed desire to celebrate a so-called 'dying art form' sheds some light on what they have tried to do with "The Allegory of Light". While not exploring beyond the set boundaries, Syzygy are flourishing within them.

The compositions are often dense and challenging, no doubt for the musicians involved but also for the listeners. By contrast, Syzygy's sound becomes incredibly easy listening whenever they offer room for Carl Baldassarre's voice. Sparing "Forbidden"- which itself makes for a fairly enjoyable acoustic ballad with a comfortable dose of melancholy - Syzygy's approach is not particularly well-suited to welcoming vocals. While Carl's voice is not weak, his singing is a little thin, and adds little to the musical experience. Indeed, Syzygy sound most inspired when they're doing what they love most; creating the impression of a symphony through rock instruments. Unlike "Cosmos and Chaos" which featured a fairly marked emphasis on Baldassarre's guitar playing, the instrumentation on "The Allegory of Light" feels remarkably well-balanced between the musicians. There are great things to be said about all three, but Paul Mihacevich's drumwork stands out the post this time around, providing a surprisingly dramatic and theatrical flair with his lively percussion.

From a technical standpoint, there's very little of an ill nature that can be said about Syzygy and their performances on "The Allegory of Light". Their technicality sheds light on three lifetimes of studious practice and skill-building, and it most certainly reflects in the music itself. Perhaps it's simply a matter of taste that I prefer to have heard less of what naysayers might call 'noodling', but Syzygy's focus on technical chops and complexity only partially scratches my musical itch. For all of the instrumental tightness and compositional bombast, Syzygy feel held back by their devotion to progressive tradition. While "The Allegory of Light" may be a more technically impressive album than, say, Steve Hackett's "The Voyage of the Acolyte", Hackett's album stands out more to me through its use of melody and when to pull back. Much like "Cosmos and Chaos", I am hearing the potential for musical brilliance, but it doesn't quite reach its mark. I find myself connecting to the music on an intellectual level, but not emotionally.

Although Syzygy made an objective improvement here when compared to their old days as Witsend, I cannot say that I am any more touched as a listener. For all of its technical wizardry and signs of brilliance, "The Allegory of Light" still feels like a relatively dry take on the tried-and-true progressive rock formula. There are ideas and orchestrations here that could have swept me away, but these standout moments are never given room enough to breathe; for every moment I'm impressed or stirred, there's an idea following swiftly behind it to kill the momentum. Ultimately, it's an unfortunate case of the result not adding up to the sum of its parts. While "The Allegory of Light" seems to fall into a typical progressive rock rut of wanting to sound ambitious without taking the necessary risks, there is no denying that Syzygy have one of the tightest performance standards you're bound to find in the US prog canon. Lovers of instrumental progressive rock will find plenty of gems here. It's not a smooth ride, but if the taste suits your palette, it's certainly worthwhile.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#1026034) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013

4 stars "The Allegory of Light" is the second album from the Ohio-based trio known as Syzygy. (Their fist album was recorded under the band name Witsend.) These guys are all exceptional talents on their respective instruments. I love the driving, inventive drumming of Paul Mihacevich - reminds m ... (read more)

Report this review (#119841) | Posted by Squire Jaco | Thursday, April 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Syzygy, the band reformed from Witsend, delivers a catchy, intelligent, and interesting mostly-instrumental record. This album is ideal to any fan of The Flower Kings, Gentle Giant, The Moody Blues, and Van Der Graff Generator. It is difficult to put a finger on exactly what trhey sound like, ... (read more)

Report this review (#24855) | Posted by | Thursday, October 28, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SYZYGY "The Allegory of Light "