YIN

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Incommunicado (5:08)
2. Family Business (5:14)
3. Just Good Friends (5:46)
4. Pipeline (6:55)
5. Institution Waltz (4:03)
6. Tongues (6:17)
7. Time & A Word (4:22)
8. The Company (4:05)
9. Incubus (9:40)
10. Solo (4:10)
11. Favourite Stranger (6:03)
12. Boston Tea Party (4:58)
13. Raw Meat (6:52)

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Dave Stewart / drums

Additional Musicians:
- Sam Brown / vocals on "Just Good Friends & Favourite Stranger"
- Mickey Simmonds / keyboards
- Hal Lindes / guitar
- John Giblin / bass
- Mark Brzezicki / drums
- Ted Mckenna / drums
- Steve Howe / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

CD Dick Brothers 11

and to Mike_Zed for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Yin Music

Vigil in a Wilderness of MirrorsVigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
Roadrunner 1999
A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
Audio CD$16.99 (used)
On the Burren by Magical Strings (Cassette, 1992, Flying Fish) NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 49m 26s
BUDDIES Buddy Spicher & Buddy Emmons Bluegrass/ JAZZ Fusion LP FLYING FISH 1977 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Matt Rocker,CD,Two Dead Fish and a Guy Named Cid! US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
I MOTHER EARTH - Scenery and Fish US $5.50 [0 bids]
OST Shooting Fish Space Supernaturals Burt Bacharach Japan Promo CD Sealed US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Shaved Fish - 1st John Lennon UK vinyl LP album record PCS7173 APPLE 1975 US $71.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Fish Out Of Water ?- Lucky Scars SEALED 1995 UK CD Genie Cosmas STRAEM Records US $27.95 Buy It Now 1h 43m
I MOTHER EARTH - Scenery and Fish US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 45m
FISH (MARILLION) - "State Of Mind" CD 1989 1st UK - EMI (3 Track - Maxi Single) US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 55m
FISH (MARILLION) - "Big Wedge" CD 1989 1st UK - EMI (3 Track - Maxi Single) US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 55m
SHOOTING FISH ~ Movie Soundtrack ~ CD Album ~ VGC! US $5.84 Buy It Now 2h
FISH IN ZONE Eurodance euro dance HEBREW, GOA ? ISRAEL ONLY ISRAELI PROMO US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
HILLBILLY JAZZ - 1974 2 LP COLLECTIBLE - FLYING FISH RECORDS - FF-101/ W BOOKLET US $11.78 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Go Fish, Infectious US $4.99 [0 bids]
REEL BIG FISH Turn the Radio Off CD (Mojo Records, Universal Records) 1996 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
RADIATORS Law Of The Fish LP Vinyl NM Cover NM 1987 New Orleans Lyrics US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
COUNTRY JOE & FISH Feel Like I'm LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG++ Fish Game NM Orig 1967 US $44.99 Buy It Now 3h 4m
REEL BIG FISH - TURN THE RADIO OFF CD 2TONE REGGAE PUNK US $13.48 Buy It Now 3h 4m
FISH A Gentlemans Excuse Me 12" EMi 1990 US $13.11 Buy It Now 3h 11m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH-2 LP'S-VINYL-GREATEST HITS-SHRINK-TOGETHER-HYPE STICKER US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
AN EMOTIONAL FISH "LACE VIRGINIA" RARE 1990 CD SINGLE US $7.85 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Pearl Jam Jeff Ament Three Fish JAPAN PROMO CD RARE HARD TO FIND!! US $24.99 [0 bids]
cd-album, Nik Fish - Fishmix 1, 2CD US $17.93 Buy It Now 3h 28m
1 CENT CD: Reel Big Fish 'We're Not Happy' PA new 2005 US $7.49 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Fish Tales Vol.1 Cd Captain Tinrib Tony De Vit Hard House Hard Trance Very Rare US $8.18 Buy It Now 4h 29m
Fish Tales Vol.2 Cd Captain Tinrib Karim Hard House NRG Hard Trance Very Rare US $8.18 Buy It Now 4h 36m
EARLY PRESS Country Joe and The Fish I Feel Like Im Fixin To Die LP Vinyl Record US $7.95 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Nurse With Wound - Sugar Fish Drink - United Dairies - UD036CD - RARE 1992 UK CD US $54.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
UNDERWORLD - Beaucoup Fish - 1999 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Buddies Lp Buddy Spicher & Buddy Emmons Flying Fish US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
It Ain't Right by The Red Clay Ramblers (CD, Nov-1992, Flying Fish) L/N US $19.99 [0 bids]
NAZARETH- FISH : Scone Palace 1994 -MAGAZINE ADVERT- US $1.64 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Taiwan ???? TV Drama OST Huang Xiao Ming Fish Leong Emil Chau CD FCS3850 US $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
THE MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES /PAY ATTENTION LP free shipping 12 Reel Big Fish US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
JOHN LENNON. SHAVED FISH. APPLE UK 1975 ORIG LP. EX COND. US $24.57 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Karl Meyer - LOUNGE STYLE LATIN MUSIC FOR LIFE FISH Moqueca di Peixe by Japan CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 50m
LENNON, John - Shaved Fish (reissue) - 180 gram vinyl LP + MP3 download code US $31.71 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Joy Lewis & Derrick Hughes - A Charming Dish Of Fish CD RARE Folk FASTPOST US $9.82 Buy It Now 7h 4m
MARILLION "Incommunicado / Going Under" 7" (UK Press) EX/EX Fish Derek W. Dick US $13.71 [0 bids]
STRAY CATS / CHOO CHOO HOT FISH JAPAN CD OOP US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 27m
SOUL SHOCK REMEDY - Fish Eye Lens - CD, Christian alt rock featuring Ken Mari US $2.24 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Malaysia Fish Leong Liang Jing Ru ??? 2000 Rare Rock Taiwan Karaoke VCD FCS3872 US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 7m
FISH - Internal Exile + European Tour Dates - 1991 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 8h 40m
AN EMOTIONAL FISH - SILENT NIGHT AT SAINT THOMAS - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.88 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Various : Shooting Fish Soundtrack CD (1997) US $4.02 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Red Norvo, Live at Rick's Cafe Americain, Flying Fish FF-079 US $9.00 Buy It Now 8h 46m
No Doubt - Rock Steady 2LP 2001 EU Orig Gwen Stefani Sublime Reel Big Fish US $92.50 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Wynonie Harris : Women, Whiskey and Fish Tails CD (1993) US $21.27 Buy It Now 9h 9m
JUNIOR SAMPLES THE WORLD OF It Happened To Junior Truth About The Fish The Cook US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
Galactic Cowboys : Machine Fish CD (2004) US $22.94 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Original Poster - Reel Big Fish - Nov - Dec 2012 Torn Poster US $13.47 [0 bids]
REO Speedwagon ?You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish LP Vinyl PE35082 US $14.00 [0 bids]
NORTHERN SOUL 45RPM RECORD - GOOD TIME CHARLIE - FISH 8007 US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
FISH "VIGIL IN A WILDERNESS OF MIRRORS", LP, 1990, PROGRESSIVE ROCK, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Mancrab Fish For Life 3 mixes Us 12" Tears For Fears US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 36m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH "TOGETHER", LP, 1968, USA, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Free Souls In A Trapped Environment, Citizen Fish, Good US $18.13 Buy It Now 9h 43m
3Ds , Audio CD, Fish Tales/Swarthy Songs for Swabs US $7.12 Buy It Now 9h 44m
Have You Fed the Fish? by Badly Drawn Boy (CD, Nov-2004, XL... US $1.30 Buy It Now 9h 49m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH I FEEL LIKE I'M FIXIN PROG PSYCH AKARMA 180g LP LIM 300 US $39.99 Buy It Now 10h
BETTIE SERVEERT All The Other Fish 7" Vinyl Single 45 MINT Brinkman Records US $3.00 [0 bids]
* REEL BIG FISH - We're Not Happy 'Til You're...[PA] US $1.00 Buy It Now 10h 8m
LINDA RUSSELL AND COMPANIE sing we all merrily LP (ff402) us flying fish 1987 US $8.18 Buy It Now 10h 10m
LINDA WATERFALL body english LP 9 track (ff439) us flying fish 1987 US $8.18 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Sweet Honey In The Rock(Vinyl LP)Feel Something Drawing Me On-Flying Fish-US-M/M US $20.99 Buy It Now 10h 33m
JONAH & WHALE Old Testament for kids prophet tape fish US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 40m
Wholesale Meats & Fish, Letters to Cleo, Good US $4.74 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Badly Drawn Boy Have You Fed the Fish? (CD, Nov-2002, Artist Direct Records) US $10.99 Buy It Now 10h 48m
FREE 2for1 OFFER- EclectricityLanguage Of The Heart Label: Flying Fish- 281/LP US $19.98 Buy It Now 11h
CLIVE GREGSON & CHRISTINE COLLISTER~HOME AND AWAY~1987 PROMO LP~FLYING FISH US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h
ROBIN FLOWER & BARBARA HIGBIE "GREEN SNEAKERS" Flying Fish FF-273 (1982) US $11.00 [0 bids]
"GEOFF MULDAUR & AMOS GARRETT" Flying Fish 061 (1978) US $11.00 [0 bids]
JETHRO BURNS & VASSAR CLEMENTS & MIKE DOWLING "JETHRO BURNS" Flying Fish FF-042 US $11.00 [0 bids]
HAYWOOD,LEON FAT FISH 2525 SOUL CARGO M-/VG+ $150.00 US $150.00 Buy It Now 11h 18m
Reunion Rag * by Dakota Dave Hull (CD, Jun-1992, Flying Fish) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Hull's Victory by Dakota Dave Hull (CD, 1991, Flying Fish) US $2.00 [0 bids]
JOHN LENNON - SHAVED FISH BEST OF LP EX VINYL UK '75 APPLE Greatest Hits Beatles US $32.76 Buy It Now 11h 29m
vintage 1981 45RPM Record: Do Fish Swim & Banjo Fantasy US $2.00 [0 bids]
NEW - Turn the Radio Off by Reel Big Fish US $3.38 Buy It Now 11h 42m
DOUG DILLARD & BYRON BERLINE "JACKRABBIT! " FLYING FISH FF208 US $11.00 [0 bids]
"BIG TWIST & THE MELLOW FELLOWS" Flying Fish FF 229 (1980) US $11.00 [0 bids]
TONY TRISCHKA & DEDE WYLAND "SKY-LINE DRIVE" Flying Fish FF 388 (1986) US $11.00 [0 bids]
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1981 The Recorder Peter Gabriel/Fish Food BR002 Rock France US $2.49 Buy It Now 11h 45m
THE NEW LOST CITY RAMBLERS "20 YRS. CONCERT PERFORMANCES" Flying Fish 102 (1978) US $10.00 [0 bids]
DOUG JERNIGAN & BUDDY SPICHER "ROADSIDE RAG" Flying Fish 024 US $11.00 [0 bids]
IRA SULLIVAN & JODIE CHRISTIAN "IRA SULLIVAN" Flying Fish FF-075 (1978) US $7.00 [0 bids]
VASSAR CLEMENTS "HILLBILLY JAZZ" Flying Fish 101 Dbl. lp (1974) US $11.00 [0 bids]
BERNICE JOHNSON REAGON "RIVER OF LIFE" Flying Fish FF 411 (1986) US $7.00 [0 bids]
BRYAN BOWERS & SAM BUSH "THE VIEW FROM HOME" Flying Fish FF-037 (1977) US $7.00 [0 bids]
Sealed LP Shady Grove Band Mulberry Moon Flying Fish US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Too Late to Turn Back Now by New Grass Revival (Cassette, 1997, Flying Fish) US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BYRON BERLINE & SUNDANCE & SAM BUSH "THE FESTIVAL TAPES" Flying Fish FF-068 US $16.00 [0 bids]
JOE VENUTI & JETHRO BURNS & MIKE DOWLING "IN CHICAGO, 1978" Sealed Flying Fish US $21.00 [0 bids]
JOE VENUTI & JETHRO BURNS "S'WONDERFUL" Flying Fish FF -035 (1977) US $21.00 [0 bids]
REEL BIG FISH favorite noise JAPAN 2 CD SEALED HS95 US $11.69 Buy It Now 12h
REEL BIG FISH we're not happy 'til you Japan CD SS BN34 US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h
ALBERK THE FISH: Yes I Love You (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $35.00 Buy It Now 12h 3m
SCHOOL OF FISH Japan CD SEALED Neo-Psych Jangle Pop SS US $8.24 Buy It Now 12h 10m
MARILLION- This Strange Engine CD (1997 Digipak) FISH Related Prog Rock US $10.67 Buy It Now 12h 11m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Yin ratings distribution

FISH Yin reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars (Again, no reviews before... Must be some kind of compilation syndrome.) I am not a big Fish fan - and I'm rather glad Marillion kicked him out - but this CD has survived in my collection. I don't listen to it often but each time I do I enjoy it in a nostalgic way. What I most hate about Fish is the habit of releasing so many live records and compilations: 32 titles but only 8 of them main albums!

Yin and Yang compilations are covering albums up to Suits '94 and contain also re-recordings of Marillion songs (here 'Incommunicado' and 'Incubus' plus 'Institution Waltz' which was written already in '81 but not officially released before. It's the worst track I think). Yes tune 'Time and a Word' featuring Steve Howe is neither among my favourites. But the songs from Fish albums are very well chosen. I remember being quite disappointed with Internal Exile and Suits, so it surprises me that I actually like all Fish songs here. His style of singing mostly all the time and emphasising his words a lot was a bad thing with Marillion, but he has teamed up with musicians who together make pure Fish music, powerful in its own fishy way.

Guest vocals of Sam Brown in two tracks add a nice female touch. What would make this compilation better for me would be some other choices from his covers album Songs From The Mirror. 'Boston Tea Party' (Sensational Alex Harvey Band -rocker) is not up to my taste, instead I'd like to hear Fish singing Moody Blues or Bowie! P.S. Fish was much better lyricist in Marillion days; his later lyrics don't much speak to me at all - with some exceptions like 'Family Business', a song about violence in a family.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#25028) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, I love Marillion during Fish era - all of their albums were masterpiece and I did enjoy every song in any first four albums plus one EP. Wonderful! But it does not necessarily mean that I love all Fish solo albums. In fact, his departure from Marillion was a great loss to the band and also to Fish, and .. also to the fans worldwide. As in the book of "Separated Out" by Jon Collins about the story of Marillion there was a die hard fan who stopped talking due to the departure of Fish from Marillion sometime in 1988 - right aster the Clutching AT Straws Tour. But what can I say? That was his personal decision and he thought that doing a solo would give him more freedom in songwriting. Indeed, it was. But as far as fans concern, it's not good at all. His debut album "Vigil In The Wilderness of Mirrors" was good but not every song was good. The second album was even worse because only one song "Shadowplay" that really kills. Third album was a cover (tribute) version. The fourth album "Suits" only got one stand out track "Raw Meat". Too sad actually.

This compilation of YIN comprises songs from Fish first four albums plus some recording of Marillion's tunes and a cover version of Yes "Time & A Word". The CD starts with "Incommunicado" (5:08) which does not experience any new arrangement of the music and it shows weaker than the original version by Marillion's fourth full album "Clutching at Straws". It's really pointless for Fish rerecording this song, the soul of Marillion is gone and the song is becoming dull and unattractive at all. "Family Business" (5:14) is taken from original studio version of debut album "Vigil". It's really a great track and for those who do not own first album, should grab this as great track. "Just Good Friends" (5:46) is a rerecording version with Sam Brown as co singer.

Another good track is "Tongues" (6:17) from his second album "Internal Exile". It has great howling guitar work and unique singing style. It's pointless for Fish to record "Time & A Word" (4:22) from Yes even though he has brilliantly picked up Steve Howe to contribute here. The song has become worse that the original Yes version. Fish should not cover any Yes song because his vocal characteristics do not match anything with Jon Anderson. I hate this version of "Time & A Word".

"The Company" (4:05) is one of great tracks from debut album. It has powerful lyrics and catchy melody. It's a very emotional song. Again, Fish tries to rebuild his past days in Marillion by rearranging "Incubus" (9:40) and it has become worse than Marillion's version. I repeat: Fish should not sing Marillion any song with his band!. "Solo" (4:10) is an excellent ballad. "Boston Tea Party" (4:58) is performed with Sensational Alex Harvey Band and it's nothing special about this song.

"Raw Meat" (6:52) is a great example of music that Fish should be concentrating on in the future. The song has strong catchy melody and very good composition. If all Fish songs are like this song, I believe that Fish is much bigger than Marillion during Hogarth era.

Overall, I know that this compilation is intended for newbie and it has some great tracks. But, I don't think that overall offering is something attractive, especially if you have heard one or two songs before. This is not a bad compilation but I would recommend this only for those collectors or die hard fans. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157205) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The big man proposes two sides of career. His solo one and his previous one (you know, he knows.). I am one out of many (I guess) who dramatically prefers Fish's "Marillion" (or the genuine one) than the other one.

This album is a nice compilation of "Fish" 's earlier work. It even features two genuine and well known "Marillion" songs which were evidently re-recorded ("Incommunicado" and "Incubus") as well as one unreleased track from the early "Marillion" days :"Institution Waltz". But once you listen to it, you might understand why it remained unreleased. Fully in the "grotesque" mood, this "Waltz" is definitely not a great song; a rarity and just a curiosity.

As far as I am concerned, there is a very good surprise on this album. An excellent version of "Time & A Word" featuring Steve Howe on guitar. Of course, vocals are totally different but the big man brings all of his subtlety to ensure a great result. A highlight.

Songs are well chosen from his solo repertoire and it is interesting to get re-recorded versions here & there. I am really keen on such compilations. You get some of your fave songs, but in a different format.

I like this one more than its "Yang" companion. But if you read my review of the latter one, you will notice that the rating is the same. It all has to do with the imprecise rating available on PA.

Three stars for "Yin". But deserves 7 out of 10 IMO.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#164557) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had lost contact with Fish´s solo career soon after his first album, and I can´t really recall how that happened. Anyway, when in 2002 I decided it was time to find out what he was doing, I stumble upon this (imported) CD in a friend´s store for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be a good idea to get a ´best of´ collection instead of looking for every single solo output he had done so far. However I was quite disappointed with Yin and, judging by its tracklist alone, I´d never had reconnected with Fish´s post Marillion discography.

Not that the record per se is bad: but for a collection, I found it very poor, lacking so may great stuff that should have been here (maybe some of them are on this CD companion Yang). Besides, the very idea of re-recording some of the classic songs he did with Marillion seemed to me as a wrong move. His band does a good job playing them, ok, but the terrific chemistry he had with his former group is simply missing here and those tunes can be better appreciated on their original form. Even the Marillion´s unissued track, Institution Waltz, should have remained that way. Just one listen and you´ll know why the band never recorded it!

Of his solo choices, I liked the duet he does with Sam Brown on Just Good Friends. This song screams for a duet and the version here is quite superior than that found on Internal Exile. Boston Tea Party is another great cover. And of course everything from his first solo album Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors is just fine. However, the remaining tracks are hardly his best from the other of his solo output. How could he left out songs like Lady Let It Die, Shadowplay, Fortunes Of War, The Emperor´s Song, The Seeker and Internal Exile just to mention a few? It´s a mystery to me and I´m glad I didn´t believe then that his recent work was so weak.

I don´t recommend this compilation to anyone but hardcore fans, collectors and completionists. If you´re looking for a good collection of Fish´s best solo work in a single CD try A Kettle Of Fish, a much more thoughtful and well done compilation of one of prog´s most talented and influential figures.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278368) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Post a review of FISH "Yin"