YIN

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Incommunicado (5:08)
2. Family Business (5:14)
3. Just Good Friends (5:46)
4. Pipeline (6:55)
5. Institution Waltz (4:03)
6. Tongues (6:17)
7. Time & A Word (4:22)
8. The Company (4:05)
9. Incubus (9:40)
10. Solo (4:10)
11. Favourite Stranger (6:03)
12. Boston Tea Party (4:58)
13. Raw Meat (6:52)

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Dave Stewart / drums

Additional Musicians:
- Sam Brown / vocals on "Just Good Friends & Favourite Stranger"
- Mickey Simmonds / keyboards
- Hal Lindes / guitar
- John Giblin / bass
- Mark Brzezicki / drums
- Ted Mckenna / drums
- Steve Howe / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

CD Dick Brothers 11

and to Mike_Zed for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Yin Music

Vigil in a Wilderness of MirrorsVigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
EMI Int'l 1998
An Emotional Fish(7" Vinyl P/S)Celebrate-East West-YZ489-UK-VG/Ex US $10.17 Buy It Now 29m 39s
Tracy Nelson(Vinyl LP)Homemade Songs-Flying Fish-VG/Ex US $10.68 Buy It Now 33m 22s
An Emotional Fish(12" Vinyl)Lace Virginia-East West-YZ502TX-UK-VG/VG+ US $13.56 Buy It Now 33m 41s
An Emotional Fish(12" Vinyl)Blue-East West-YZ539T-UK-VG+/Ex US $11.87 Buy It Now 33m 47s
Bernice Johnson Reagon-River Of Life, Harmony One-LP-Flying Fish Records/Baptist US $10.00 [0 bids]
36m 9s
WILD WEEKENDS 2005 - Mixed by Nik Fish & Smash N Grab - 2005 CENTRAL STATION 2CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 43m 45s
Sweet Honey In The Rock(Vinyl LP)Feel Something Drawing Me On-Flying Fish-US-M/M US $18.65 Buy It Now 46m 17s
Country Joe & the fish-1986 magazine article US $8.47 Buy It Now 53m 14s
FISH Big Wedge 7" 45 Sound Clip in Listing US $7.64 Buy It Now 1h 18m
FISH State of Mind UK 7" 45 US $6.70 Buy It Now 1h 18m
THE CAPTAIN & SIMON EVE / CHRIS C Fish EP 03 12" US $17.82 Buy It Now 1h 20m
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Neither Fish Nor Flesh cassette US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 20m
VARIOUS Big Fish in a Little Sea CD (Bands from Amherst Northampton MA) US $28.01 Buy It Now 1h 21m
HOOTIE & THE BLOW FISH Hold My Hand 3 Track CD US $6.70 Buy It Now 1h 22m
MANCRAB Fish For Life 12" US $14.43 Buy It Now 1h 22m
MANCRAB Fish For Life UK 7" 45 US $9.76 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Chris Squire Fish Out of Water Atlantic SD18159 Yes bassist US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Generic Skaca w/Mephiskapheles, The Porkers, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake US $8.00 [0 bids]
The Diary of Hamilton Fish by Delegates (Rock) (CD, Oct-2005, Bankshot!) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
THE OTHER TWO - TASTY FISH VINYL 12" SINGLE FACTORY RECORDS,NEW ORDER US $1.68 Buy It Now 1h 43m
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - THE SHOWMEN - 39-21-46 - SWISH FISH US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Vintage 45 rpm Mitch Ryder TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA/THREE LITTLE FISHIES NOS US $6.99 [0 bids]
FISH / INTERNAL EXILE / CASSETTE TAPE / MARILLION / POLYDOR (1992) US $15.26 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Lamont Dozier 45 Fish Ain't Bitin'/Breaking Out All Over ABC 11438 US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Happier Blue by Chris Smither (CD, Aug-1993, Flying Fish) US $40.79 Buy It Now 2h 13m
I Mother Earth - Scenery And Fish (12trk CD) VGC US $6.30 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Howie B Skelf Fish Brand New 12" UK Mo Wax US $7.19 Buy It Now 2h 24m
GALLOWS MAINTAIN 2315 TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA VG $100.00 US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Reel Big Fish - Everything Sucks [CD New] US $5.85 Buy It Now 2h 31m
FISH FORTUNES OF WAR BRAND NEW CD +2 FREE SUNSETS & MIRROR EX MARILLION FRONTMAN US $28.95 [0 bids]
FISH lady let it lie CD 4 track album version b/w emperor's ong, just good frien US $8.47 Buy It Now 2h 38m
REEL BIG FISH - CANDY COATED FURY - RKM261371 US $17.89 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Babel Fish - Babel Fish JAPAN CD+2Bonus W/OBI #23 US $4.19 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Reel Big Fish - Candy Coated Fury NEW CD US $14.90 Buy It Now 3h
Fish-Tree-Water Blues [ECD] (CD, Apr-1999, Bullseye Blues) US $9.69 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Terence Trent D'Arby - Neither Fish Nor Flesh (Japanese Import CD) VGC US $6.04 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Badly Drawn Boy : Have You Fed the Fish? CD (2002) US $7.28 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Rumble Fish Soundtrack Lp Stewart Copeland Cs Hinton US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed the Fish? (2002) NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $5.89 Buy It Now 3h 22m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH - I FEEL LIKE I'M FIXIN' TO DIE US $33.59 Buy It Now 3h 25m
JOHN LENNON: Shaved Fish (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Scooter - How Much Is The Fish? 12" LP US $5.59 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Scooter - How Much Is The Fish? 12" LP US $6.40 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Human Cannonball by School of Fish (CD, Feb-1993, Capitol/EMI Records) US $2.29 Buy It Now 3h 44m
DAVID HOLT - Reel & Rock - Excellent Condition LP Record Flying Fish FF 372 US $15.26 Buy It Now 3h 46m
SOUNDTRACK: The Day The Fish Came Out (rare soul vinyl LP) drill hole US $50.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
HOT RIZE - Radio Boogie - Excellent Condition LP Record Flying Fish - FF 231 US $16.96 Buy It Now 3h 56m
COREY HARRIS 1997 ALLIGATOR CD FISH AIN'T BITIN' LIKE NEW US $5.95 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch - Acceptable US $3.96 Buy It Now 4h 4m
JUNIOR PARKER Baby Please / Just Like A Fish MERCURY R&B 45-72620 US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 14m
V.A./THE OUTPATIENTS CD (1994/AUSTRIA)DICK BROS DDICK1CD[UK] Fish Marillion PROG US $1.98 [2 bids]
CD Album: Fish : Sunsets On Empire Marillion US $16.87 [0 bids]
Robert Gordon with Link Wray "Fresh Fish Special" Private Stock Rec. Vinyl VG+ US $5.00 [0 bids]
Kate Bush - Director's Cut - Import - Fish People - 2 LP Gatefold Vinyl - SEALED US $30.00 [0 bids]
Skyline - Late To Work - Flying Fish Records 261 - Vinyl VG US $8.00 [0 bids]
School Of Fish Human Cannonball Cassette Tape 1993 Capitol - STILL SEALED US $15.00 [0 bids]
REEL BIG FISH - EVERYTHING SUCKS NEW CD US $10.57 Buy It Now 4h 29m
NM LP~RUTH PELHAM~Look To The People~[Original 1986 FLYING FISH Issue]~Shrink~ US $3.49 [0 bids]
FISH-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.08 Buy It Now 4h 39m
ROCK/ John Lennon - Shaved Fish (LP) US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
BATTLEFIELD BAND, THE STORY SO FAR - FLYING FISH LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 47m
TUNE A FISH RECORDS LLC TAF322 EUROPEAN PLAYGROUND CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
MR.MUSIC-Pat Benatar/CARAMEL/Graham Nash/EVA CASSIDY/Reel Big Fish/THE MORLETTES US $10.29 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Have You Fed the Fish? by Badly Drawn Boy (CD, Nov-2002, Artist Direct Records) US $0.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
SARGANT FURY - LITTLE FISH CD 1993 JAPAN OBI WMC5-604 WEA MUSIC US $28.49 Buy It Now 4h 58m
FISH - Big Wedge - 1989 UK limited edition 3-track 12" vinyl PICTURE DISC single US $13.56 Buy It Now 5h 11m
MOTHER GONG - TREE IN FISH - NEW US $15.26 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Faith No More CD 4 Live from 5 Promo W/ Rubber Fish Fat B**tards METAL POWER POP US $159.99 [0 bids]
FISH - State Of Mind -Original 1989 UK limited edition 3-track 12" vinyl P US $13.56 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Fish ex- Marillion a collection of 17 CD singles ***read shipping details*** US $199.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
DIANE COFFEE**MY FRIEND FISH**CD US $11.50 Buy It Now 5h 42m
"The Rosehip String Band" Flying Fish 1976 - Progressive Blugrass US $17.95 Buy It Now 5h 45m
INKFISH origin unknown/ accelerator INK FISH 12" RECORD US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND Cosmic Cowboy part 1 / Fish Song 7 inch 45 NM US $1.04 Buy It Now 5h 54m
SMALL FISH WITH SPINE**ULTIMATE SUSHI**CD US $11.50 Buy It Now 5h 59m
MARILLION - FREAKS/KAYLEIGH/CHILDHOODS END/WHITE FEATHER 88 CDS: FISH NR MINT US $5.08 [0 bids]
6h
STEVE HILLAGE**FISH RISING**VINYL US $20.50 Buy It Now 6h 2m
JOHN LENNON**SHAVED FISH (LTD/JAPANESE VERSION)**CD US $18.33 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Mitch Ryder - Too Mnay Fish In The Sea 7" PS detroit wheels 60's garage US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Steve Hillage-Fish Rising vinyl LP US $7.50 [0 bids]
JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish LP CAPITOL SW-3421 purple label The Beatles NM- US $4.99 [0 bids]
REEL BIG FISH**BEST OF US... FOR THE REST OF US**2CD US $15.50 Buy It Now 6h 22m
JOHN LENNON shaved fish LP 11 track but has name written on front of sleeve (pcs US $32.25 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Soul 45 PARLIAMENT (You're A Fish And I'm A) Water Sign on Caseblanca US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 29m
FISH Big Wedge 12" PICTURE DISC US $16.97 Buy It Now 6h 29m
LAMONT DOZIER FISH AINT BITIN NORTHERN SOUL HEAR US $31.00 Buy It Now 6h 36m
Songs from the Mirror by Fish (CD, IMPORT 1998, Roadrunner) US $9.99 [0 bids]
FISH: Earthquake (rare soul vinyl 45) US $70.00 Buy It Now 7h
Schram,Brian - Rockin Fish Tales [CD New] US $10.85 Buy It Now 7h
Four Fried Fish & Flyin' Horns - Love Can Change Everything [CD New] US $35.55 Buy It Now 7h 4m
STEVE HILLAGE**FISH RISING (REMASTERED/BONUS TRACKS)**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Thirsty Fish - Watergate [CD New] US $14.75 Buy It Now 7h 7m
SCHOOL OF FISH Live In L.A. 8/22/91 Promo only CD DPRO-79995 Josh Clayton-Felt US $33.95 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Studio Fish Fea Bob Nudd Maggots In Ya (PS) 7" Single US $16.53 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Schram - Vol. 3-Rockin Fish Tales [CD New] US $16.14 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Terence Trent D'Arby - Neither Fish Nor Flesh Japan CD #02 US $2.09 Buy It Now 7h 22m
NAUGHTY BY NATURE OPP REMIXES ITALIAN IMPORT FLYING FISH RECORDS VINYL 12'' US $5.00 [0 bids]
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Neither Fish Nor Flesh Vinyl LP CBS 465809 w/ Booklet US $16.96 Buy It Now 7h 25m
KAI FISH Life In Monochrome 2011 UK vinyl LP SEALED US $11.87 Buy It Now 7h 27m
DEAD FISH - AFASIA NEW CD US $35.63 Buy It Now 7h 29m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Yin ratings distribution

FISH Yin reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars (Again, no reviews before... Must be some kind of compilation syndrome.) I am not a big Fish fan - and I'm rather glad Marillion kicked him out - but this CD has survived in my collection. I don't listen to it often but each time I do I enjoy it in a nostalgic way. What I most hate about Fish is the habit of releasing so many live records and compilations: 32 titles but only 8 of them main albums!

Yin and Yang compilations are covering albums up to Suits '94 and contain also re-recordings of Marillion songs (here 'Incommunicado' and 'Incubus' plus 'Institution Waltz' which was written already in '81 but not officially released before. It's the worst track I think). Yes tune 'Time and a Word' featuring Steve Howe is neither among my favourites. But the songs from Fish albums are very well chosen. I remember being quite disappointed with Internal Exile and Suits, so it surprises me that I actually like all Fish songs here. His style of singing mostly all the time and emphasising his words a lot was a bad thing with Marillion, but he has teamed up with musicians who together make pure Fish music, powerful in its own fishy way.

Guest vocals of Sam Brown in two tracks add a nice female touch. What would make this compilation better for me would be some other choices from his covers album Songs From The Mirror. 'Boston Tea Party' (Sensational Alex Harvey Band -rocker) is not up to my taste, instead I'd like to hear Fish singing Moody Blues or Bowie! P.S. Fish was much better lyricist in Marillion days; his later lyrics don't much speak to me at all - with some exceptions like 'Family Business', a song about violence in a family.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#25028) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, I love Marillion during Fish era - all of their albums were masterpiece and I did enjoy every song in any first four albums plus one EP. Wonderful! But it does not necessarily mean that I love all Fish solo albums. In fact, his departure from Marillion was a great loss to the band and also to Fish, and .. also to the fans worldwide. As in the book of "Separated Out" by Jon Collins about the story of Marillion there was a die hard fan who stopped talking due to the departure of Fish from Marillion sometime in 1988 - right aster the Clutching AT Straws Tour. But what can I say? That was his personal decision and he thought that doing a solo would give him more freedom in songwriting. Indeed, it was. But as far as fans concern, it's not good at all. His debut album "Vigil In The Wilderness of Mirrors" was good but not every song was good. The second album was even worse because only one song "Shadowplay" that really kills. Third album was a cover (tribute) version. The fourth album "Suits" only got one stand out track "Raw Meat". Too sad actually.

This compilation of YIN comprises songs from Fish first four albums plus some recording of Marillion's tunes and a cover version of Yes "Time & A Word". The CD starts with "Incommunicado" (5:08) which does not experience any new arrangement of the music and it shows weaker than the original version by Marillion's fourth full album "Clutching at Straws". It's really pointless for Fish rerecording this song, the soul of Marillion is gone and the song is becoming dull and unattractive at all. "Family Business" (5:14) is taken from original studio version of debut album "Vigil". It's really a great track and for those who do not own first album, should grab this as great track. "Just Good Friends" (5:46) is a rerecording version with Sam Brown as co singer.

Another good track is "Tongues" (6:17) from his second album "Internal Exile". It has great howling guitar work and unique singing style. It's pointless for Fish to record "Time & A Word" (4:22) from Yes even though he has brilliantly picked up Steve Howe to contribute here. The song has become worse that the original Yes version. Fish should not cover any Yes song because his vocal characteristics do not match anything with Jon Anderson. I hate this version of "Time & A Word".

"The Company" (4:05) is one of great tracks from debut album. It has powerful lyrics and catchy melody. It's a very emotional song. Again, Fish tries to rebuild his past days in Marillion by rearranging "Incubus" (9:40) and it has become worse than Marillion's version. I repeat: Fish should not sing Marillion any song with his band!. "Solo" (4:10) is an excellent ballad. "Boston Tea Party" (4:58) is performed with Sensational Alex Harvey Band and it's nothing special about this song.

"Raw Meat" (6:52) is a great example of music that Fish should be concentrating on in the future. The song has strong catchy melody and very good composition. If all Fish songs are like this song, I believe that Fish is much bigger than Marillion during Hogarth era.

Overall, I know that this compilation is intended for newbie and it has some great tracks. But, I don't think that overall offering is something attractive, especially if you have heard one or two songs before. This is not a bad compilation but I would recommend this only for those collectors or die hard fans. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157205) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The big man proposes two sides of career. His solo one and his previous one (you know, he knows.). I am one out of many (I guess) who dramatically prefers Fish's "Marillion" (or the genuine one) than the other one.

This album is a nice compilation of "Fish" 's earlier work. It even features two genuine and well known "Marillion" songs which were evidently re-recorded ("Incommunicado" and "Incubus") as well as one unreleased track from the early "Marillion" days :"Institution Waltz". But once you listen to it, you might understand why it remained unreleased. Fully in the "grotesque" mood, this "Waltz" is definitely not a great song; a rarity and just a curiosity.

As far as I am concerned, there is a very good surprise on this album. An excellent version of "Time & A Word" featuring Steve Howe on guitar. Of course, vocals are totally different but the big man brings all of his subtlety to ensure a great result. A highlight.

Songs are well chosen from his solo repertoire and it is interesting to get re-recorded versions here & there. I am really keen on such compilations. You get some of your fave songs, but in a different format.

I like this one more than its "Yang" companion. But if you read my review of the latter one, you will notice that the rating is the same. It all has to do with the imprecise rating available on PA.

Three stars for "Yin". But deserves 7 out of 10 IMO.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#164557) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had lost contact with Fish´s solo career soon after his first album, and I can´t really recall how that happened. Anyway, when in 2002 I decided it was time to find out what he was doing, I stumble upon this (imported) CD in a friend´s store for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be a good idea to get a ´best of´ collection instead of looking for every single solo output he had done so far. However I was quite disappointed with Yin and, judging by its tracklist alone, I´d never had reconnected with Fish´s post Marillion discography.

Not that the record per se is bad: but for a collection, I found it very poor, lacking so may great stuff that should have been here (maybe some of them are on this CD companion Yang). Besides, the very idea of re-recording some of the classic songs he did with Marillion seemed to me as a wrong move. His band does a good job playing them, ok, but the terrific chemistry he had with his former group is simply missing here and those tunes can be better appreciated on their original form. Even the Marillion´s unissued track, Institution Waltz, should have remained that way. Just one listen and you´ll know why the band never recorded it!

Of his solo choices, I liked the duet he does with Sam Brown on Just Good Friends. This song screams for a duet and the version here is quite superior than that found on Internal Exile. Boston Tea Party is another great cover. And of course everything from his first solo album Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors is just fine. However, the remaining tracks are hardly his best from the other of his solo output. How could he left out songs like Lady Let It Die, Shadowplay, Fortunes Of War, The Emperor´s Song, The Seeker and Internal Exile just to mention a few? It´s a mystery to me and I´m glad I didn´t believe then that his recent work was so weak.

I don´t recommend this compilation to anyone but hardcore fans, collectors and completionists. If you´re looking for a good collection of Fish´s best solo work in a single CD try A Kettle Of Fish, a much more thoughtful and well done compilation of one of prog´s most talented and influential figures.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278368) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Post a review of FISH "Yin"