YIN

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Incommunicado (5:08)
2. Family Business (5:14)
3. Just Good Friends (5:46)
4. Pipeline (6:55)
5. Institution Waltz (4:03)
6. Tongues (6:17)
7. Time & A Word (4:22)
8. The Company (4:05)
9. Incubus (9:40)
10. Solo (4:10)
11. Favourite Stranger (6:03)
12. Boston Tea Party (4:58)
13. Raw Meat (6:52)

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Dave Stewart / drums

Additional Musicians:
- Sam Brown / vocals on "Just Good Friends & Favourite Stranger"
- Mickey Simmonds / keyboards
- Hal Lindes / guitar
- John Giblin / bass
- Mark Brzezicki / drums
- Ted Mckenna / drums
- Steve Howe / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

CD Dick Brothers 11

and to Mike_Zed for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Yin Music

Vigil in a Wilderness of MirrorsVigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
EMI Int'l 1998
REEL BIG FISH Beer w/ RARE INSTRUMENTAL PROMO Radio DJ CD single 1997 MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 35m 1s
Diamond in the Fish by Havalina Rail Co. (CD, Jun-19... US $7.99 Buy It Now 38m 1s
COUNTRY JOE 1974 lp stereo the fish related US $2.20 [0 bids]
44m 50s
Shriekback 12" Single Fish Below The Ice Island Records 1985 PROMO COPY US $9.99 Buy It Now 46m 59s
Eric Fish - Kaskade CD US $38.00 Buy It Now 49m 2s
Bob Fish(7"Vinyl)Hotel / Like Lovers Do-VG/Ex US $5.99 Buy It Now 51m 19s
Bonnie Koloc With You on My Side 1987 Flying Fish # FF-437 FOLK Sealed LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 51m 53s
BENNY MARTIN Lester Flatt Jogn Hartford LP Tennesse Jubilee LP Flying Fish USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 56m 25s
Country Joe & The Fish - Together [CD New] US $9.80 Buy It Now 57m 28s
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH TOGETHER RARE 1968 VANGUARD STEREO VINYL LP NM+ US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Eddie & the Hot Rods Fish N Chips LP EMI 17037 US $10.80 Buy It Now 1h 13m
CLAMBAKE - Fat Cat Big Fish Heatshield/Badmouth NEW 7" 45RPM GARAGE VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MOTHER GONG - TREE IN FISH [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $12.02 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Shriekback Fish Below The Ice Gatefold Double 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Shriekback Fish Below The Ice Plankton Enriched Mix US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
FOREHEADS IN A FISH TANK - Moaning Mini - Ex 12" Single US $16.93 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Rainey Ma - Don't Fish In My Sea NEW CD US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 28m
I Have Seen Freedom by Si Kahn (CD, Dec-1991, Flying Fish) US $1.49 [0 bids]
Fish Tree Water Blues, Various Artists, Very Good US $4.27 Buy It Now 1h 38m
CHAKA DEMUS & PLIERS:GAL WINE/FISH MARKET VERSION:OSSIE 1991 DISK EX US $23.71 Buy It Now 1h 48m
SCHOOL OF FISH THE WRONG SAMPLER U.S. PROMO CD DPRO-79776 1991 5 TRACKS NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Michael Smith - Love Stories - Flying Fish Records - LP!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Fred Small - I Will Stand Fast - Includes Lyric Sheet - Flying Fish Records - LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Patricia Shih - Leap of Faith - Flying Fish Records - LP!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
KAI FISH - LIFE IN MONOCHROME - NEW CD US $10.30 Buy It Now 2h 23m
RUMBLE FISH SOUNDTRACK, STEWART COPELAND - LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Marillion FISH w/ Elizabeth Antwi Incomplete ACOUSTIC & DEMO UK CD single SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Marillion FISH Change of Heart w/ 2 RARE EDITS UK CD single SEALED 1997 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Marillion FISH Brother 52 w/ SINGLE EDIT & MIX & DUB TRK CD single SEALED 1997 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Galactic Cowboys: Machine Fish CD 1996 Metal Blade Records US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Sublime S/T 2x LP vinyl record sealed bloodhound gang no doubt reel big fish US $29.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Duane Evans & EBS All Star Blues Band Ripete 1018 Saturday Night Fish Fry US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 10m
New, NORMA JEAN - Fish Logo Photo Keyring KEYCHAIN US $2.86 Buy It Now 3h 13m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH LP Vinyl Record Feel Like Fixin to Die Vanguard 79266 US $16.66 Buy It Now 3h 18m
BETTY ELDERS Crayons CD Folk NEW 1995 Flying Fish US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Boogie Bill Webb "Drinkin' and Stinkin'" Delta Blues CD. Flyin' Fish.. Brand NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Robin Flower - 1st Dibs LP Flying Fish US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Fish (Marillion)/Credo (2 Versions) + 1 (UK/Sealed) Leaving EBAY! US $14.99 [0 bids]
Velma Frye I Am To Someone Flying Fish 498 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lets Face It Vinyl LP. reel big fish no doubt nofx US $22.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Tom Chapin Let Me Back Into Your Life Flying Fish 401 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
THE PHARCYDE ~ Otha Fish ~ 7" Single PS USA PRESSING US $33.03 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Fish Yang 1980-95 CD *SEALED* Marillion Kayleigh Lavender Remixes US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Fish - CD 13th Star (Marillion ) US $7.12 [4 bids]
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $1.19 [0 bids]
FISH BELOW THE ICE - SHRIEKBACK RARE 12" SINGLE US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h
Reel Big Fish *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 4h
SHRIEKBACK - FISH BELOW THE ICE - BRITISH 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Circus Royale in shrink NM fish heads dead puppies Dr. Demento greatest LP ever US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Pharcyde - Otha Fish 12" Single US $8.00 [0 bids]
Vicious Fish - S/T US orig' Private 12" EP in shrink 1982 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Country Joe & The Fish-I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die-Vanguard 79266-FISH GAME US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Rock/soul 45 * Johnny Carlo - Fish Walk - Strong vg++ US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
school of fish everyword SINGLE CD from Human Cannonball DPRO-79709 US $0.99 [0 bids]
A Fish Called Wanda Soundtrack LP Made In France French LP Un Poisson Nomme US $9.99 [0 bids]
Larry Long Run For Freedom vinyl LP 1984 Flying Fish Records EX US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h
Tracy Nelson Flying Fish LP 1980 US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 7m
YVES SMIERCIAK & THE DELEGATES OF RHYTHM SATURDAY NIGHT FISH FRY SWEET ALBUM US $5.99 [0 bids]
Sunsets on Empire by Fish (CD, Jul-1997, Lightyear) CD & PAPER SLEEVE ONLY US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
CATERWAUL - KILLER FISH NEW CD US $15.93 Buy It Now 5h 24m
New Lost Ramblers 20th Century LP 1986 Flying Fish Records EX [Pete Seeger] US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 26m
FISH - Arc Of The Curve CD Single - RARE CD Single - New and sealed US $13.90 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Restless Rambling Heart by Laurie Lewis (CD,July 21,1986, Flying Fish) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
TOM PAXTON One Million Lawyers LP NM- Flying Fish US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
NEW - Blackened Fish by Emackillent US $3.52 Buy It Now 5h 51m
soundtrack, Shooting Fish Original Soundtrack CD, 16 tracks US $7.47 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Road Less Travelled by Preston Reed (CD-1989 Flying Fish) US $16.14 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
KAZUYOSHI SAITO WONDERFUL FISH Japan CD US $11.50 Buy It Now 6h 6m
NEW GRASS REVIVAL / COMMONWEALTH ~ 1981 Flying Fish Album ~ NEAR MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
(CM473) Little Fish, Wonderful - DJ CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 6h 30m
COUNTRY JOE MCDONALD / FISH - TOGETHER NEW CD US $17.47 Buy It Now 6h 33m
MASON WILLIAMS/irish fish/ 1978 lp US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 33m
FRANKIE FISH UNTIL THE NIGHT WHITE LABEL PROMO COUNTRY MUSIC US $0.20 [0 bids]
Reo speedwagon "you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish" US $0.99 [0 bids]
Do Ray Mi Trio 7" 33 Saturday Night Fish Fry HEAR SOUL Re Me Oo Wee JUKEBOX US $40.00 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Sweet Honey In The Rock We All.. Everyone Of Us F. Fish US $5.25 Buy It Now 6h 46m
SABIA Portavoz vinyl LP Flying Fish 1986 US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 49m
REO SPEEDWAGON - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish - 1978 - CD - EX US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE RADIATORS-"LAW OF THE FISH" 12" FULL LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
3 Strange Days [Single] [Single] by School of Fish (CD, Capitol/EMI Records) US $5.00 [0 bids]
THE NEW LOST CITY RAMBLERS 20 YEARS CONCERT PERFORMANCES FLYING FISH 102 MONO US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 9m
1 Polish 2 Biscuits & A Fish sandwich The Othere Brothers CD VHTF Rare US $34.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
(EJ580) Big Hard Excellent Fish, And The Question Remains - 2013 DJ CD US $4.15 Buy It Now 7h 11m
NEW - Only Dead Fish Go With the Current US $3.77 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Fish - STATE OF MIND (2 VER),VOYEUR - Import UK Picture Disc Marillion EP US $44.99 Buy It Now 7h 19m
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY NEITHER FISH NOR FLESH CD US $2.93 Buy It Now 7h 21m
VINYL LP John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band - Shaved Fish / Apple pressing US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 25m
EDDIE & BETTY - SWEET SOMEONE // SATURDAY NIGHT FISH FRY - EX++MINT- + SLV US $4.00 [0 bids]
1961 Bobby Rydell "The Fish"/ "The Third House"/ VG+ US $5.98 Buy It Now 7h 39m
MOSES RASCOE blues LP Mint- FF 454 Flying Fish USA Blues 1987 Record US $14.40 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Linda Waterfall - Body English 1987 Flying Fish SIGNED US $9.95 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Life & Times of - From Haight-Ashbury to Woodstock by Country Joe & The Fish US $11.97 Buy It Now 8h 15m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH--Together--LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
SEALED Terence Trent D'Arby LP Neither Fish Nor Flesh LP COLUMBIA RECORDS 1989 US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
John Lennon Shaved Fish Vinyl LP Apple Records US $16.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
TONY BANKS-Still-FISH-Nik Kershaw-ANDY TAYLOR-Duran/GENESIS/Tangerine Dream/ABC US $7.49 Buy It Now 8h 31m
THE BEST of JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish by John Lennon (CD, Dec-1987, Capitol) US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 38m
DAVID AMRAM-HAVANA/ NEW YORK- OOP Flying Fish FF-057-SEALED- 1978 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Yin ratings distribution

FISH Yin reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars (Again, no reviews before... Must be some kind of compilation syndrome.) I am not a big Fish fan - and I'm rather glad Marillion kicked him out - but this CD has survived in my collection. I don't listen to it often but each time I do I enjoy it in a nostalgic way. What I most hate about Fish is the habit of releasing so many live records and compilations: 32 titles but only 8 of them main albums!

Yin and Yang compilations are covering albums up to Suits '94 and contain also re-recordings of Marillion songs (here 'Incommunicado' and 'Incubus' plus 'Institution Waltz' which was written already in '81 but not officially released before. It's the worst track I think). Yes tune 'Time and a Word' featuring Steve Howe is neither among my favourites. But the songs from Fish albums are very well chosen. I remember being quite disappointed with Internal Exile and Suits, so it surprises me that I actually like all Fish songs here. His style of singing mostly all the time and emphasising his words a lot was a bad thing with Marillion, but he has teamed up with musicians who together make pure Fish music, powerful in its own fishy way.

Guest vocals of Sam Brown in two tracks add a nice female touch. What would make this compilation better for me would be some other choices from his covers album Songs From The Mirror. 'Boston Tea Party' (Sensational Alex Harvey Band -rocker) is not up to my taste, instead I'd like to hear Fish singing Moody Blues or Bowie! P.S. Fish was much better lyricist in Marillion days; his later lyrics don't much speak to me at all - with some exceptions like 'Family Business', a song about violence in a family.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#25028) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, I love Marillion during Fish era - all of their albums were masterpiece and I did enjoy every song in any first four albums plus one EP. Wonderful! But it does not necessarily mean that I love all Fish solo albums. In fact, his departure from Marillion was a great loss to the band and also to Fish, and .. also to the fans worldwide. As in the book of "Separated Out" by Jon Collins about the story of Marillion there was a die hard fan who stopped talking due to the departure of Fish from Marillion sometime in 1988 - right aster the Clutching AT Straws Tour. But what can I say? That was his personal decision and he thought that doing a solo would give him more freedom in songwriting. Indeed, it was. But as far as fans concern, it's not good at all. His debut album "Vigil In The Wilderness of Mirrors" was good but not every song was good. The second album was even worse because only one song "Shadowplay" that really kills. Third album was a cover (tribute) version. The fourth album "Suits" only got one stand out track "Raw Meat". Too sad actually.

This compilation of YIN comprises songs from Fish first four albums plus some recording of Marillion's tunes and a cover version of Yes "Time & A Word". The CD starts with "Incommunicado" (5:08) which does not experience any new arrangement of the music and it shows weaker than the original version by Marillion's fourth full album "Clutching at Straws". It's really pointless for Fish rerecording this song, the soul of Marillion is gone and the song is becoming dull and unattractive at all. "Family Business" (5:14) is taken from original studio version of debut album "Vigil". It's really a great track and for those who do not own first album, should grab this as great track. "Just Good Friends" (5:46) is a rerecording version with Sam Brown as co singer.

Another good track is "Tongues" (6:17) from his second album "Internal Exile". It has great howling guitar work and unique singing style. It's pointless for Fish to record "Time & A Word" (4:22) from Yes even though he has brilliantly picked up Steve Howe to contribute here. The song has become worse that the original Yes version. Fish should not cover any Yes song because his vocal characteristics do not match anything with Jon Anderson. I hate this version of "Time & A Word".

"The Company" (4:05) is one of great tracks from debut album. It has powerful lyrics and catchy melody. It's a very emotional song. Again, Fish tries to rebuild his past days in Marillion by rearranging "Incubus" (9:40) and it has become worse than Marillion's version. I repeat: Fish should not sing Marillion any song with his band!. "Solo" (4:10) is an excellent ballad. "Boston Tea Party" (4:58) is performed with Sensational Alex Harvey Band and it's nothing special about this song.

"Raw Meat" (6:52) is a great example of music that Fish should be concentrating on in the future. The song has strong catchy melody and very good composition. If all Fish songs are like this song, I believe that Fish is much bigger than Marillion during Hogarth era.

Overall, I know that this compilation is intended for newbie and it has some great tracks. But, I don't think that overall offering is something attractive, especially if you have heard one or two songs before. This is not a bad compilation but I would recommend this only for those collectors or die hard fans. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157205) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The big man proposes two sides of career. His solo one and his previous one (you know, he knows.). I am one out of many (I guess) who dramatically prefers Fish's "Marillion" (or the genuine one) than the other one.

This album is a nice compilation of "Fish" 's earlier work. It even features two genuine and well known "Marillion" songs which were evidently re-recorded ("Incommunicado" and "Incubus") as well as one unreleased track from the early "Marillion" days :"Institution Waltz". But once you listen to it, you might understand why it remained unreleased. Fully in the "grotesque" mood, this "Waltz" is definitely not a great song; a rarity and just a curiosity.

As far as I am concerned, there is a very good surprise on this album. An excellent version of "Time & A Word" featuring Steve Howe on guitar. Of course, vocals are totally different but the big man brings all of his subtlety to ensure a great result. A highlight.

Songs are well chosen from his solo repertoire and it is interesting to get re-recorded versions here & there. I am really keen on such compilations. You get some of your fave songs, but in a different format.

I like this one more than its "Yang" companion. But if you read my review of the latter one, you will notice that the rating is the same. It all has to do with the imprecise rating available on PA.

Three stars for "Yin". But deserves 7 out of 10 IMO.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#164557) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had lost contact with Fish´s solo career soon after his first album, and I can´t really recall how that happened. Anyway, when in 2002 I decided it was time to find out what he was doing, I stumble upon this (imported) CD in a friend´s store for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be a good idea to get a ´best of´ collection instead of looking for every single solo output he had done so far. However I was quite disappointed with Yin and, judging by its tracklist alone, I´d never had reconnected with Fish´s post Marillion discography.

Not that the record per se is bad: but for a collection, I found it very poor, lacking so may great stuff that should have been here (maybe some of them are on this CD companion Yang). Besides, the very idea of re-recording some of the classic songs he did with Marillion seemed to me as a wrong move. His band does a good job playing them, ok, but the terrific chemistry he had with his former group is simply missing here and those tunes can be better appreciated on their original form. Even the Marillion´s unissued track, Institution Waltz, should have remained that way. Just one listen and you´ll know why the band never recorded it!

Of his solo choices, I liked the duet he does with Sam Brown on Just Good Friends. This song screams for a duet and the version here is quite superior than that found on Internal Exile. Boston Tea Party is another great cover. And of course everything from his first solo album Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors is just fine. However, the remaining tracks are hardly his best from the other of his solo output. How could he left out songs like Lady Let It Die, Shadowplay, Fortunes Of War, The Emperor´s Song, The Seeker and Internal Exile just to mention a few? It´s a mystery to me and I´m glad I didn´t believe then that his recent work was so weak.

I don´t recommend this compilation to anyone but hardcore fans, collectors and completionists. If you´re looking for a good collection of Fish´s best solo work in a single CD try A Kettle Of Fish, a much more thoughtful and well done compilation of one of prog´s most talented and influential figures.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278368) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Post a review of FISH "Yin"