YIN

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Incommunicado (5:08)
2. Family Business (5:14)
3. Just Good Friends (5:46)
4. Pipeline (6:55)
5. Institution Waltz (4:03)
6. Tongues (6:17)
7. Time & A Word (4:22)
8. The Company (4:05)
9. Incubus (9:40)
10. Solo (4:10)
11. Favourite Stranger (6:03)
12. Boston Tea Party (4:58)
13. Raw Meat (6:52)

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Dave Stewart / drums

Additional Musicians:
- Sam Brown / vocals on "Just Good Friends & Favourite Stranger"
- Mickey Simmonds / keyboards
- Hal Lindes / guitar
- John Giblin / bass
- Mark Brzezicki / drums
- Ted Mckenna / drums
- Steve Howe / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

CD Dick Brothers 11

and to Mike_Zed for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Yin Music

Sunsets on EmpireSunsets on Empire
Lightyear 1997
FISH - 7" PICTURE DISC - A GENTLEMAN'S EXCUSE ME US $22.05 Buy It Now 34m 3s
You Can Tune a Piano: But You Can't Tuna Fish, Reo Speedwagon, New US $6.55 Buy It Now 38m 40s
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $1.19 [0 bids]
53m 13s
OUR LADY PEACE HAPPINESS IS NOT A FISH THAT YOU CAN CATCH CD US $1.59 [1 bids]
54m 16s
GREEN MAN - WHEN YOU WERE A TADPOLE & I WAS A FISH NEW CD US $29.78 Buy It Now 1h
Country Joe & The Fish - C J Fish CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Leftover Crack Citizen Fish - Deadline Vinyl Record LP US $17.09 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Permanent Fish - Premium K CD Pop Int'L & World Music China Japan Korea US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Djinji Brown,Dennis Coffey,Vinia,NEW CD,Uncle Junior's Friday Fish Fry US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH REUNION LP 587 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
DEINE LAKAIEN - WINTER FISH TESTOSTERONE - NEW CD - OOP !!! RARE US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
CHRIS SQUIRE LP-FISH OUT OF WATER G/F + INNER -YES PROG ROCK US $9.60 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Reo Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tuna Fish CD US $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
An emotional fish-1990 poster size press advert US $16.01 Buy It Now 2h 7m
SCHOOL OF FISH - 3 STRANGE DAYS - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE US $2.39 Buy It Now 2h 24m
EU import DEINE LAKAIEN Winter Fish Testosterone CD CHROM 1996 NEW sealed US $19.98 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Mason Williams The Santa Fe Recital - Fresh Fish LP US $8.01 Buy It Now 2h 29m
FISH A Gentleman's Excuse Me UK 7" red vinyl in clear plastic sleeve with card i US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
FISH Big Wedge UK 7" in numbered wallet pack EMI EMS 125 1989 Mint US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
PENUMBRA - HOOKED LIKE A FISH IN RIO NEW CD US $14.25 Buy It Now 2h 34m
SCHRAM,BRIAN-Rockin Fish Tales CD NEW US $11.10 Buy It Now 2h 56m
TERESA DOYLE - IF FISH COULD SING NEW CD US $27.62 Buy It Now 3h 4m
JALAN CROSSLAND - PORTRAIT OF A FISH NEW CD US $27.27 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Rare Air [LP] Mad Plaid *NM* [Flying Fish; FF 333] (1984) *Na Cabarfeidh* US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
CITIZEN FISH - GOODS * - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 3h 11m
JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish JAPAN 1st Press CD 1987 CP32 3200Yen W/Red Obi MINT US $44.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
CHALI 2NA - FISH OUTTA WATER [PA] - NEW CD US $10.31 Buy It Now 3h 15m
FISH Credo UK 12" box set with giant colour poster Poydor FISHS2 1991 Marillion US $27.22 Buy It Now 3h 17m
SOLON FISHBONE - FISH TONES NEW CD US $23.65 Buy It Now 3h 23m
MITCH RYDER & DETROIT WHEELS-I Got You (Feel Good)/Too Many Fish In The Sea BELL US $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 47m
School of Fish Self Titled Cassette Tape - TESTED US $8.01 Buy It Now 4h
Dinosaurs 1988 German CD NEW Hard-Prog-Psych John Cipollina Country Joe+the Fish US $59.00 Buy It Now 4h
Snow (Go Fish) -CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h
STEVE HILLAGE FISH RISING WHITE LABEL PROMO LP 760 US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
FISH(MARILLION)....BIG WEDGE..EXCELLENT 1989 EMI LABEL NEO-PROG. ROCK 7" EM 125 US $4.81 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Fish - In The Wilderness Of Mirrors Tour Ticket (Hammersmith Odeon 01/04/1990) US $1.59 [0 bids]
MARILLION (FISH) - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CA) US $7.93 Buy It Now 4h 38m
MARILLION (FISH) - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CA1) US $7.93 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Reo Speed Wagon / You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tune A Fish / 1978 CBS 12"LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Badly Drawn Boy-Have You Fed the Fish? CD Very Good US $4.84 Buy It Now 4h 39m
JOHN LENNON IMAGINE LP ALBUM AND 8 TRACK SHAVED FISH US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Vintage magic fish I know old lady scholastic record VINYL LP 7" 45 RPM children US $0.99 [0 bids]
JOHN LENNON - 1975 - "Shaved Fish" US $5.79 [0 bids]
REO Speedwagon Tuna Fish Wally Traugot Press ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 5h 17m
AN EMOTIONAL FISH 'CELEBRATE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE #2 US $4.79 Buy It Now 5h 38m
AN EMOTIONAL FISH 'CELEBRATE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $4.79 Buy It Now 5h 38m
REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tuna Fish - CANDY176 US $19.85 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Larry McNeely(Vinyl LP)Rhapsody For Banjo-Flying Fish-25-Ex/VG+ US $33.29 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Ron Mesing(Vinyl LP)No Minors Allowed-Flying Fish-67-USA-VG+/Ex US $25.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
FESSA HOOK'S FISH FRY 1 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $27.62 Buy It Now 5h 55m
FRANK FISH AND THE FINS 'THE LIVING WORLD OF SEA CREATURES' UK PIC/SLV 7" SINGLE US $9.60 Buy It Now 6h 5m
FISH 'STATE OF MIND (EDITED VERSION)' UK 7" SINGLE US $3.19 Buy It Now 6h 5m
FISH 'INTERNAL EXILE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $4.79 Buy It Now 6h 5m
FISH 'BIG WEDGE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE GATEFOLD DIECUT US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish 5055300358424, CD, BRAND NEW US $26.52 Buy It Now 6h 12m
George Clinton / You Shouldn't-Nuf Bit Fish / NEAR MINT nm Bootys Collins GREAT US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
SHOOTING FISH ~ Movie Soundtrack ~ CD Album ~ VGC! US $5.74 Buy It Now 6h 18m
SHRIEKBACK 'FISH BELOW THE ICE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 2 x 7" SINGLE PACK US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 35m
THE PHILADELPHIA FOLK FESTIVAL(1977) - Various Artists- 1978 Flying Fish Lp US $5.00 [1 bids]
Pocket Fish R Men 7" Dead Dog DUTCH EAST INDIA TRADING US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 43m
ALAN HOAL - WHY I DON'T FISH ANYMORE NEW CD US $26.17 Buy It Now 6h 55m
OUR LADY PEACE--HAPPINESS...IS NOT A FISH THAT YOU CAN CATCH [One Man Army++] US $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
MITCH RYDER, DETROIT WHEELS-Too Many Fish In The Sea VG+NORTHERN SOUL, FUNK HEAR US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 58m
BENNY CARTER AMONG MY SOUVENIRS & FISH FRY VOCALION 5458 US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
The Black Heart Procession Fish the Holes on Frozen Lakes [Single] (CD, Ma... US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Fish - Big Wedge 7" PS in Numbered G/Fold Sleeve US $4.79 [0 bids]
MINDY CARSON The Fish / Bring Me Your Love COLUMBIA RECORDS used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 27m
John Hartford / Jamie Hartford - Hartford & Hartford (CD, Jul-1991, Flying Fish) US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Marillion Friends Family Live CDs Live 2007 Genesis Fish Dream Theater US $149.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
CASSETTE: FISH Vigil in a wilderness ROCK PROG Marillion US $4.79 Buy It Now 7h 33m
REEL BIG FISH - A BEST OF US... FOR THE REST OF US [PA] - NEW CD US $7.37 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Tony Ellis - Farewell My Home (Banjo) (CD, Aug-1993, Flying Fish) US $4.79 Buy It Now 7h 39m
NORTHERN SOUL 45~LEON HAYWOOD~AIN'T NO USE/HEY~FAT FISH US $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Fish(7" Vinyl)State Of Mind-EMI -EM 109-UK-VG+/NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Country Joe & The Fish Greatest Hits 8-Track Vanguard US $2.50 [0 bids]
Fish, Jerry & The Mudbug Club-Upside Down CD Single New US $19.45 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Flying Fish cd The Very Best Of Tom Paxton US $7.00 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Pulp Fusion / Flying Fish ?- Deeper In My Soul / Mr. Matatwe remix -TP 1 x copy US $12.82 [0 bids]
An Emotional Fish 12" - Rain (The Aberration Mix) (Promo 12") US $4.79 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Robin Flower Green Sneakers LP 1982 Flying Fish FF-273 Folk Vinyl Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
JOHN LENNON Rare Vinyl Lp SHAVED FISH Rare Capitol Lbl N-Mint Stunning! US $17.95 Buy It Now 8h 18m
TURN THE RADIO OFF BY REEL BIG FISH (CD) US $15.15 Buy It Now 8h 20m
C.J. FISH BY COUNTRY JOE & THE FI (CD) US $17.41 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Letters to Cleo - Wholesale Meats & Fish - (CD) - Like New Condition US $3.00 [0 bids]
MIKE AULDRIDGE s/t LP OOP mid-70's Flying Fish bluegrass US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Paul Evans 'Happy-Go-Lucky-Me/Fish In The Ocean' 208 Guaranteed 45 RPM 1960 NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Sam Brown : Stop! CD (2007) Fish Marillion Alanis Morrissette Pink KD Lang US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Dick Brothers: Acoustic Session/Limited Edition by Fish CD Marillion Rare Yes US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
The Other Two, Tasty Fish, Cassette US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Dave Mallett - Inches & Miles 1977-1980 [CASSETTE, 1990, FLYING FISH) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Scenery and Fish by I Mother Earth (CD, Jul-1996, Capitol) US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
The Tarwater Band(Vinyl LP)Walking Across Egypt -US-1987-Flying Fish-New/New US $22.42 Buy It Now 8h 55m
? Robert Gordon w/Link Wray - Fresh Fish Spec. (Tuff D) US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Cast Recording - Little Fish [CD New] US $16.90 Buy It Now 9h 10m
The Thom Bell Orchestra The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh 12" Promo Vinyl Single US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
NEW- Direct From Neptune Bay: Songs from Rainbow Fish (CD, May-2000, Sony Musi US $34.95 Buy It Now 9h 18m
JUNGLE FISH SEASON 2 / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $25.82 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Beaucoup Fish by Underworld (CD, Feb-2006, V2 ( US $1.00 Buy It Now 9h 32m
REEL BIG FISH - THE BEST OF US FOR THE REST OF - RKM261288 US $16.20 Buy It Now 9h 40m
REEL BIG FISH - FAME FORTUNE AND FORNICATION - RKM261204 US $16.20 Buy It Now 9h 40m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Yin ratings distribution

FISH Yin reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars (Again, no reviews before... Must be some kind of compilation syndrome.) I am not a big Fish fan - and I'm rather glad Marillion kicked him out - but this CD has survived in my collection. I don't listen to it often but each time I do I enjoy it in a nostalgic way. What I most hate about Fish is the habit of releasing so many live records and compilations: 32 titles but only 8 of them main albums!

Yin and Yang compilations are covering albums up to Suits '94 and contain also re-recordings of Marillion songs (here 'Incommunicado' and 'Incubus' plus 'Institution Waltz' which was written already in '81 but not officially released before. It's the worst track I think). Yes tune 'Time and a Word' featuring Steve Howe is neither among my favourites. But the songs from Fish albums are very well chosen. I remember being quite disappointed with Internal Exile and Suits, so it surprises me that I actually like all Fish songs here. His style of singing mostly all the time and emphasising his words a lot was a bad thing with Marillion, but he has teamed up with musicians who together make pure Fish music, powerful in its own fishy way.

Guest vocals of Sam Brown in two tracks add a nice female touch. What would make this compilation better for me would be some other choices from his covers album Songs From The Mirror. 'Boston Tea Party' (Sensational Alex Harvey Band -rocker) is not up to my taste, instead I'd like to hear Fish singing Moody Blues or Bowie! P.S. Fish was much better lyricist in Marillion days; his later lyrics don't much speak to me at all - with some exceptions like 'Family Business', a song about violence in a family.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#25028) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, I love Marillion during Fish era - all of their albums were masterpiece and I did enjoy every song in any first four albums plus one EP. Wonderful! But it does not necessarily mean that I love all Fish solo albums. In fact, his departure from Marillion was a great loss to the band and also to Fish, and .. also to the fans worldwide. As in the book of "Separated Out" by Jon Collins about the story of Marillion there was a die hard fan who stopped talking due to the departure of Fish from Marillion sometime in 1988 - right aster the Clutching AT Straws Tour. But what can I say? That was his personal decision and he thought that doing a solo would give him more freedom in songwriting. Indeed, it was. But as far as fans concern, it's not good at all. His debut album "Vigil In The Wilderness of Mirrors" was good but not every song was good. The second album was even worse because only one song "Shadowplay" that really kills. Third album was a cover (tribute) version. The fourth album "Suits" only got one stand out track "Raw Meat". Too sad actually.

This compilation of YIN comprises songs from Fish first four albums plus some recording of Marillion's tunes and a cover version of Yes "Time & A Word". The CD starts with "Incommunicado" (5:08) which does not experience any new arrangement of the music and it shows weaker than the original version by Marillion's fourth full album "Clutching at Straws". It's really pointless for Fish rerecording this song, the soul of Marillion is gone and the song is becoming dull and unattractive at all. "Family Business" (5:14) is taken from original studio version of debut album "Vigil". It's really a great track and for those who do not own first album, should grab this as great track. "Just Good Friends" (5:46) is a rerecording version with Sam Brown as co singer.

Another good track is "Tongues" (6:17) from his second album "Internal Exile". It has great howling guitar work and unique singing style. It's pointless for Fish to record "Time & A Word" (4:22) from Yes even though he has brilliantly picked up Steve Howe to contribute here. The song has become worse that the original Yes version. Fish should not cover any Yes song because his vocal characteristics do not match anything with Jon Anderson. I hate this version of "Time & A Word".

"The Company" (4:05) is one of great tracks from debut album. It has powerful lyrics and catchy melody. It's a very emotional song. Again, Fish tries to rebuild his past days in Marillion by rearranging "Incubus" (9:40) and it has become worse than Marillion's version. I repeat: Fish should not sing Marillion any song with his band!. "Solo" (4:10) is an excellent ballad. "Boston Tea Party" (4:58) is performed with Sensational Alex Harvey Band and it's nothing special about this song.

"Raw Meat" (6:52) is a great example of music that Fish should be concentrating on in the future. The song has strong catchy melody and very good composition. If all Fish songs are like this song, I believe that Fish is much bigger than Marillion during Hogarth era.

Overall, I know that this compilation is intended for newbie and it has some great tracks. But, I don't think that overall offering is something attractive, especially if you have heard one or two songs before. This is not a bad compilation but I would recommend this only for those collectors or die hard fans. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157205) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The big man proposes two sides of career. His solo one and his previous one (you know, he knows.). I am one out of many (I guess) who dramatically prefers Fish's "Marillion" (or the genuine one) than the other one.

This album is a nice compilation of "Fish" 's earlier work. It even features two genuine and well known "Marillion" songs which were evidently re-recorded ("Incommunicado" and "Incubus") as well as one unreleased track from the early "Marillion" days :"Institution Waltz". But once you listen to it, you might understand why it remained unreleased. Fully in the "grotesque" mood, this "Waltz" is definitely not a great song; a rarity and just a curiosity.

As far as I am concerned, there is a very good surprise on this album. An excellent version of "Time & A Word" featuring Steve Howe on guitar. Of course, vocals are totally different but the big man brings all of his subtlety to ensure a great result. A highlight.

Songs are well chosen from his solo repertoire and it is interesting to get re-recorded versions here & there. I am really keen on such compilations. You get some of your fave songs, but in a different format.

I like this one more than its "Yang" companion. But if you read my review of the latter one, you will notice that the rating is the same. It all has to do with the imprecise rating available on PA.

Three stars for "Yin". But deserves 7 out of 10 IMO.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#164557) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had lost contact with Fish´s solo career soon after his first album, and I can´t really recall how that happened. Anyway, when in 2002 I decided it was time to find out what he was doing, I stumble upon this (imported) CD in a friend´s store for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be a good idea to get a ´best of´ collection instead of looking for every single solo output he had done so far. However I was quite disappointed with Yin and, judging by its tracklist alone, I´d never had reconnected with Fish´s post Marillion discography.

Not that the record per se is bad: but for a collection, I found it very poor, lacking so may great stuff that should have been here (maybe some of them are on this CD companion Yang). Besides, the very idea of re-recording some of the classic songs he did with Marillion seemed to me as a wrong move. His band does a good job playing them, ok, but the terrific chemistry he had with his former group is simply missing here and those tunes can be better appreciated on their original form. Even the Marillion´s unissued track, Institution Waltz, should have remained that way. Just one listen and you´ll know why the band never recorded it!

Of his solo choices, I liked the duet he does with Sam Brown on Just Good Friends. This song screams for a duet and the version here is quite superior than that found on Internal Exile. Boston Tea Party is another great cover. And of course everything from his first solo album Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors is just fine. However, the remaining tracks are hardly his best from the other of his solo output. How could he left out songs like Lady Let It Die, Shadowplay, Fortunes Of War, The Emperor´s Song, The Seeker and Internal Exile just to mention a few? It´s a mystery to me and I´m glad I didn´t believe then that his recent work was so weak.

I don´t recommend this compilation to anyone but hardcore fans, collectors and completionists. If you´re looking for a good collection of Fish´s best solo work in a single CD try A Kettle Of Fish, a much more thoughtful and well done compilation of one of prog´s most talented and influential figures.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278368) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Post a review of FISH "Yin"