YIN

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Incommunicado (5:08)
2. Family Business (5:14)
3. Just Good Friends (5:46)
4. Pipeline (6:55)
5. Institution Waltz (4:03)
6. Tongues (6:17)
7. Time & A Word (4:22)
8. The Company (4:05)
9. Incubus (9:40)
10. Solo (4:10)
11. Favourite Stranger (6:03)
12. Boston Tea Party (4:58)
13. Raw Meat (6:52)

- David Paton / bass
- Robin Boult / guitar
- Dave Stewart / drums

Additional Musicians:
- Sam Brown / vocals on "Just Good Friends & Favourite Stranger"
- Mickey Simmonds / keyboards
- Hal Lindes / guitar
- John Giblin / bass
- Mark Brzezicki / drums
- Ted Mckenna / drums
- Steve Howe / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / drums

CD Dick Brothers 11

and to Mike_Zed for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Yin Music

A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
BADLY DRAWN BOY Have You Fed the Fish? MINT CD 2004 US $1.99 Buy It Now 41m 58s
CASSETTE REO SPEEDWAGON YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO BUT YOU CANT TUNA FISH 1978 OOP US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
CHRIS SQUIRE LP-FISH OUT OF WATER US $13.25 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE RADIATORS LAW OF THE FISH 1987 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen 25.8P 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Reel Big Fish - Greatest Hits CD JIVE US $11.81 Buy It Now 2h 10m
CATHY WINTER * TRAVELLING HOME*FLYING FISH LABEL* 1987 *SEALED US $24.50 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Fish - Internal Exile - 1991 UK Vinyl LP US $82.91 Buy It Now 2h 12m
SEALED* FLYING FISH LABEL* THE SMITH SISTERS* MOCKINGBIRD * LP US $24.50 Buy It Now 2h 34m
CHALI 2NA - FISHMARKET FISH MARKET PART 2 CD ALBUM NEW AND SEALED US $14.02 Buy It Now 2h 48m
GHOSTFACE KILLAH - MORE FISH [PA] - NEW CD US $10.75 Buy It Now 2h 56m
The Your Mom SRO - Lizards & Stars (1997 Fish Eye Records EYE-502) Used CD US $1.75 Buy It Now 3h 10m
GO FISH - SUPERSTAR [GO FISH] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $9.19 Buy It Now 3h 13m
REEL BIG FISH - WHY DO THEY ROCK SO HARD? [PA] [886974886129] - NEW CD US $5.78 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Radiators - Law Of The Fish (1987) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.53 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Law of the Fish by The Radiators (U.S.) (CD, 1988, Epic (USA)) US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
David Amram - Amram Triple Concerto W/ Pepper Adams Nm M (Flying Fish) Lp US $25.50 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed the Fish? (2002) (CD) US $2.90 Buy It Now 3h 50m
REEL BIG FISH - TURN THE RADIO OFF [CLEAN] [EDITED] - NEW CD US $12.47 Buy It Now 3h 50m
JULIANA HODKINSON - FISH & FOWL - NEW CD US $6.64 Buy It Now 4h
FISH SAMANTHA - BLACK WIND HOWLIN` - RUF1195 US $21.47 Buy It Now 4h 5m
BUDDY EMMONS - Buddy Emmons Sings Bob Wills - Ex LP Record Flying Fish FF 017 US $14.91 Buy It Now 4h 18m
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Neither Fish Nor Flesh CD US $4.65 Buy It Now 4h 22m
FISH - PIGPENS BIRTHDAY - VERY RARE - 2 CD US $69.99 [0 bids]
REO Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish.1978 orig 1º press US $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Wholesale Meats and Fish by Letters to Cleo (CD, Jul-1995, Giant (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
FISH SAMANTHA - RUNAWAY - RUF1169 US $21.47 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Norman Blake Blackberry Blossom ~ Flying Fish FF 047 (1977) In Shrink US $7.95 [0 bids]
Brown, Djinji, Uncle Junior's Friday Fish Fry Audio CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Direct From Neptune Bay: Songs from Rainbow Fish (CD, May-2000, Sony Music) US $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Beaucoup Fish by Underworld (CD, Feb-2006, V2 (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Stray Cats Choo Choo Hot Fish 11 Tracks Very Good Condition CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Country Joe & The Fish Electric Music For The Mind And Body LP 1967 pressing US $4.00 [1 bids]
BOB FISH no chance 7" PS EX/EX uk magnet MAG 199 US $11.59 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Horse and Fish [ECD] by Vinicius Cantuaria (CD, May-... US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
JOHN LENNON - SHAVED FISH - DIFFERENT COVER - RARE - URUGUAY (5 pics) US $65.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
FISH (OF MARILLION) credo/poet's moon FISHY 2 uk polydor 1991 7" PS EX/EX US $11.59 Buy It Now 6h 17m
CHRIS SQUIRE fish out of water K 50203 A2/B2 early press uk 1975 LP PS EX+/EX US $16.18 Buy It Now 6h 17m
FISH (OF MARILLION) big wedge 12EMPD 125 picture disc uk emi 1989 12" PS EX/EX US $20.36 Buy It Now 6h 19m
THE RADIATORS LAW OF THE FISH LP US $5.50 Buy It Now 6h 26m
THE RADIATORS law of the fish EPC 460446 1 near mint disc uk epic LP PS EX/EX US $34.11 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Jeffrey - Just Like You B/W Some Kind Love 45 Little Fish Modern DC Funk Soul US $134.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
MITCH RYDER 45: "Too Many Fish In the Sea / One Grain Of Sand" US $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Fish LTD EDITION CD SINGLE Credo - Number 3540 US $4.96 Buy It Now 7h 21m
REEL BIG FISH Beer w/ RARE INSTRUMENTAL PROMO Radio DJ CD single 1997 MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 46m
1981 "NM Wax" Ltd Edition Aquamarine / John Lennon Shaved Fish EAS-81457 Japan US $99.99 [0 bids]
Diamond in the Fish by Havalina Rail Co. (CD, Jun-19... US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Shriekback 12" Single Fish Below The Ice Island Records 1985 PROMO COPY US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Eric Fish - Kaskade CD US $38.00 Buy It Now 8h
Bob Fish(7"Vinyl)Hotel / Like Lovers Do-VG/Ex US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Bonnie Koloc With You on My Side 1987 Flying Fish # FF-437 FOLK Sealed LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Country Joe & The Fish - Together [CD New] US $10.40 Buy It Now 8h 8m
HERE WE ARE AGAIN COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH US $7.00 Buy It Now 8h 21m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH TOGETHER RARE 1968 VANGUARD STEREO VINYL LP NM+ US $17.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Eddie & the Hot Rods Fish N Chips LP EMI 17037 US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 24m
CLAMBAKE - Fat Cat Big Fish Heatshield/Badmouth NEW 7" 45RPM GARAGE VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Inoue Kikuko Elegant Fish US $9.99 [0 bids]
MOTHER GONG - TREE IN FISH [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $9.63 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Shriekback Fish Below The Ice Gatefold Double 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Shriekback Fish Below The Ice Plankton Enriched Mix US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 32m
FOREHEADS IN A FISH TANK - Moaning Mini - Ex 12" Single US $16.56 Buy It Now 8h 37m
FISH FORTUNES OF WAR BRAND NEW CD +2 FREE SUNSETS & MIRROR EX MARILLION FRONTMAN US $29.95 [0 bids]
SOUL SHOCK REMEDY - FISH EYE LENS (1994) US $2.47 [0 bids]
Reel Big Fish b/w Goldfinger-2 Songs Each-Mojo Rec-EP in Open Picture Sleeve!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
CHAKA DEMUS & PLIERS:GAL WINE/FISH MARKET VERSION:OSSIE 1991 DISK EX US $23.20 Buy It Now 8h 59m
JOHN LENNON - Shaved Fish 180g LP + Download [NEW, Vinyl, Mint] Imagine, Mother US $28.98 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Beige Fish [CD New] US $20.42 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Grismore/Scea Group - Well Behaved Fish [CD New] US $13.39 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Fish Grooves Vol.2 Cd Captain Tinrib Hard House Hard Trance Steve Thomas Rare US $16.56 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Fish Tales Vol.3 Cd Captain Tinrib Hard House Hard Trance NRG Very Rare US $16.56 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Fish - Sushi - RARE SIGNED Double CD 1994 (PROMO) Marillion US $66.32 [0 bids]
HILLBILLY JAZZ - 1974 2 LP COLLECTIBLE - FLYING FISH RECORDS - FF-101/ W BOOKLET US $3.00 [0 bids]
KAI FISH - LIFE IN MONOCHROME - NEW CD US $10.30 Buy It Now 9h 34m
RUMBLE FISH SOUNDTRACK, STEWART COPELAND - LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Marillion FISH w/ Elizabeth Antwi Incomplete ACOUSTIC & DEMO UK CD single SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Marillion FISH Change of Heart w/ 2 RARE EDITS UK CD single SEALED 1997 US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Marillion FISH Brother 52 w/ SINGLE EDIT & MIX & DUB TRK CD single SEALED 1997 US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Thing-Fish by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, 2 Discs, Ryko Distribution) US $21.00 [0 bids]
Galactic Cowboys: Machine Fish CD 1996 Metal Blade Records US $4.95 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Full On V Movie Psycho Surf Raw Fish Techno Dance Music Sound Effects Library CD US $11.59 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Freddy Fish Barrio Grooves CD Single US $24.85 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Duane Evans & EBS All Star Blues Band Ripete 1018 Saturday Night Fish Fry US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 21m
New, NORMA JEAN - Fish Logo Photo Keyring KEYCHAIN US $2.80 Buy It Now 10h 24m
BETTY ELDERS Crayons CD Folk NEW 1995 Flying Fish US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 31m
The Flips - What's In The Bright Pink Box? 1987 Flying Fish Records - A Cappella US $10.99 Buy It Now 10h 37m
MORE FISH BY GHOSTFACE KILLAH (CD) US $16.81 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Velma Frye I Am To Someone Flying Fish 498 US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lets Face It Vinyl LP. reel big fish no doubt nofx US $22.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Tom Chapin Let Me Back Into Your Life Flying Fish 401 US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 44m
THE PHARCYDE ~ Otha Fish ~ 7" Single PS USA PRESSING US $22.62 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Fish Tree Water Blues, Various Artists, Very Good US $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Louisiana R&R 45 Bobby Vernon & Bayou Boys Louisian Fish Fry Bagdad hear US $9.99 [0 bids]
Fish Yang 1980-95 CD *SEALED* Marillion Kayleigh Lavender Remixes US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 54m
FISH BELOW THE ICE - SHRIEKBACK RARE 12" SINGLE US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Reel Big Fish *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 11h 11m
SHRIEKBACK - FISH BELOW THE ICE - BRITISH 12" VINYL US $4.98 Buy It Now 11h 18m
Circus Royale in shrink NM fish heads dead puppies Dr. Demento greatest LP ever US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 20m
NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND Cosmic Cowboy part 1 / Fish Song 7 inch 45 NM US $0.75 [0 bids]
Vicious Fish - S/T US orig' Private 12" EP in shrink 1982 US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Country Joe & The Fish-I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die-Vanguard 79266-FISH GAME US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Squeeze This! by Those Darn Accordions! (CD, Jul-1994, Flying Fish) US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Yin ratings distribution

FISH Yin reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars (Again, no reviews before... Must be some kind of compilation syndrome.) I am not a big Fish fan - and I'm rather glad Marillion kicked him out - but this CD has survived in my collection. I don't listen to it often but each time I do I enjoy it in a nostalgic way. What I most hate about Fish is the habit of releasing so many live records and compilations: 32 titles but only 8 of them main albums!

Yin and Yang compilations are covering albums up to Suits '94 and contain also re-recordings of Marillion songs (here 'Incommunicado' and 'Incubus' plus 'Institution Waltz' which was written already in '81 but not officially released before. It's the worst track I think). Yes tune 'Time and a Word' featuring Steve Howe is neither among my favourites. But the songs from Fish albums are very well chosen. I remember being quite disappointed with Internal Exile and Suits, so it surprises me that I actually like all Fish songs here. His style of singing mostly all the time and emphasising his words a lot was a bad thing with Marillion, but he has teamed up with musicians who together make pure Fish music, powerful in its own fishy way.

Guest vocals of Sam Brown in two tracks add a nice female touch. What would make this compilation better for me would be some other choices from his covers album Songs From The Mirror. 'Boston Tea Party' (Sensational Alex Harvey Band -rocker) is not up to my taste, instead I'd like to hear Fish singing Moody Blues or Bowie! P.S. Fish was much better lyricist in Marillion days; his later lyrics don't much speak to me at all - with some exceptions like 'Family Business', a song about violence in a family.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#25028) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 03, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well, I love Marillion during Fish era - all of their albums were masterpiece and I did enjoy every song in any first four albums plus one EP. Wonderful! But it does not necessarily mean that I love all Fish solo albums. In fact, his departure from Marillion was a great loss to the band and also to Fish, and .. also to the fans worldwide. As in the book of "Separated Out" by Jon Collins about the story of Marillion there was a die hard fan who stopped talking due to the departure of Fish from Marillion sometime in 1988 - right aster the Clutching AT Straws Tour. But what can I say? That was his personal decision and he thought that doing a solo would give him more freedom in songwriting. Indeed, it was. But as far as fans concern, it's not good at all. His debut album "Vigil In The Wilderness of Mirrors" was good but not every song was good. The second album was even worse because only one song "Shadowplay" that really kills. Third album was a cover (tribute) version. The fourth album "Suits" only got one stand out track "Raw Meat". Too sad actually.

This compilation of YIN comprises songs from Fish first four albums plus some recording of Marillion's tunes and a cover version of Yes "Time & A Word". The CD starts with "Incommunicado" (5:08) which does not experience any new arrangement of the music and it shows weaker than the original version by Marillion's fourth full album "Clutching at Straws". It's really pointless for Fish rerecording this song, the soul of Marillion is gone and the song is becoming dull and unattractive at all. "Family Business" (5:14) is taken from original studio version of debut album "Vigil". It's really a great track and for those who do not own first album, should grab this as great track. "Just Good Friends" (5:46) is a rerecording version with Sam Brown as co singer.

Another good track is "Tongues" (6:17) from his second album "Internal Exile". It has great howling guitar work and unique singing style. It's pointless for Fish to record "Time & A Word" (4:22) from Yes even though he has brilliantly picked up Steve Howe to contribute here. The song has become worse that the original Yes version. Fish should not cover any Yes song because his vocal characteristics do not match anything with Jon Anderson. I hate this version of "Time & A Word".

"The Company" (4:05) is one of great tracks from debut album. It has powerful lyrics and catchy melody. It's a very emotional song. Again, Fish tries to rebuild his past days in Marillion by rearranging "Incubus" (9:40) and it has become worse than Marillion's version. I repeat: Fish should not sing Marillion any song with his band!. "Solo" (4:10) is an excellent ballad. "Boston Tea Party" (4:58) is performed with Sensational Alex Harvey Band and it's nothing special about this song.

"Raw Meat" (6:52) is a great example of music that Fish should be concentrating on in the future. The song has strong catchy melody and very good composition. If all Fish songs are like this song, I believe that Fish is much bigger than Marillion during Hogarth era.

Overall, I know that this compilation is intended for newbie and it has some great tracks. But, I don't think that overall offering is something attractive, especially if you have heard one or two songs before. This is not a bad compilation but I would recommend this only for those collectors or die hard fans. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157205) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The big man proposes two sides of career. His solo one and his previous one (you know, he knows.). I am one out of many (I guess) who dramatically prefers Fish's "Marillion" (or the genuine one) than the other one.

This album is a nice compilation of "Fish" 's earlier work. It even features two genuine and well known "Marillion" songs which were evidently re-recorded ("Incommunicado" and "Incubus") as well as one unreleased track from the early "Marillion" days :"Institution Waltz". But once you listen to it, you might understand why it remained unreleased. Fully in the "grotesque" mood, this "Waltz" is definitely not a great song; a rarity and just a curiosity.

As far as I am concerned, there is a very good surprise on this album. An excellent version of "Time & A Word" featuring Steve Howe on guitar. Of course, vocals are totally different but the big man brings all of his subtlety to ensure a great result. A highlight.

Songs are well chosen from his solo repertoire and it is interesting to get re-recorded versions here & there. I am really keen on such compilations. You get some of your fave songs, but in a different format.

I like this one more than its "Yang" companion. But if you read my review of the latter one, you will notice that the rating is the same. It all has to do with the imprecise rating available on PA.

Three stars for "Yin". But deserves 7 out of 10 IMO.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#164557) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I had lost contact with Fish´s solo career soon after his first album, and I can´t really recall how that happened. Anyway, when in 2002 I decided it was time to find out what he was doing, I stumble upon this (imported) CD in a friend´s store for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be a good idea to get a ´best of´ collection instead of looking for every single solo output he had done so far. However I was quite disappointed with Yin and, judging by its tracklist alone, I´d never had reconnected with Fish´s post Marillion discography.

Not that the record per se is bad: but for a collection, I found it very poor, lacking so may great stuff that should have been here (maybe some of them are on this CD companion Yang). Besides, the very idea of re-recording some of the classic songs he did with Marillion seemed to me as a wrong move. His band does a good job playing them, ok, but the terrific chemistry he had with his former group is simply missing here and those tunes can be better appreciated on their original form. Even the Marillion´s unissued track, Institution Waltz, should have remained that way. Just one listen and you´ll know why the band never recorded it!

Of his solo choices, I liked the duet he does with Sam Brown on Just Good Friends. This song screams for a duet and the version here is quite superior than that found on Internal Exile. Boston Tea Party is another great cover. And of course everything from his first solo album Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors is just fine. However, the remaining tracks are hardly his best from the other of his solo output. How could he left out songs like Lady Let It Die, Shadowplay, Fortunes Of War, The Emperor´s Song, The Seeker and Internal Exile just to mention a few? It´s a mystery to me and I´m glad I didn´t believe then that his recent work was so weak.

I don´t recommend this compilation to anyone but hardcore fans, collectors and completionists. If you´re looking for a good collection of Fish´s best solo work in a single CD try A Kettle Of Fish, a much more thoughtful and well done compilation of one of prog´s most talented and influential figures.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278368) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010

Post a review of FISH "Yin"