MAPS OF NON-EXISTENT PLACES

Thank You Scientist Maps of Non-Existent Places album cover

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Prelude (1:11)
2. A Salesman's Guide to Nonexistence (5:02)
3. Feed the Horses (6:26)
4. Blood on the Radio (9:22)
5. Absentee (5:59)
6. Suspicious Waveforms (6:31)
7. Carnival (6:31)
8. Concrete Swan Dive (5:47)
9. In the Company of Worms (5:46)
10. My Famed Disappearing Act (5:43)

Total time 58:18

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps of Non-Existent Places lyrics

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps of Non-Existent Places tabs

- Salvatore Marrano / vocals
- Tom Monda / fretted and fretless guitar, acoustic guitar, cello, shamisen, vocals
- Russ Lynch / violin, viola, mandolin

- Mark Radice / vocals
- Russ Lynch / vocals

Self-released (2012)

Thanks to Andy Webb for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THANK YOU SCIENTIST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps of Non-Existent Places Music

Maps of Non-Existent PlacesMaps of Non-Existent Places
INGROOVES 2014

More places to buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST music online Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THANK YOU SCIENTIST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps of Non-Existent Places ratings distribution

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps of Non-Existent Places reviews

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars I hope this doesn't obviate the rest of the review, but I'd like to start off by saying this: if you haven't heard Thank You Scientist yet and enjoy music, I command you to drop what you are doing and purchase this album. Thank You Scientist is a young septet formed in New Jersey far away from the shore in 2010. The band was quick to release their debut EP 'Perils of Time Travel' early 2011, which is what first grabbed my attention. The band's incredible use of orchestration between their impressive seven members, obvious energy and passion and playing their music, and overall fresh and creative form of music captivated me with listen after listen. I patiently waited, and before long the band began to post news of a new album, which finally materialized as Maps of Non-existent Places.

If you're not already familiar with the band (which you should be), I'll explain their absolutely wonderful style for you. The seven guys obviously have an incredibly eclectic musical background, because before listening to their music I was unaware so many styles could be shoved into any kind of music. The band manages to fuse the complexity of classic progressive rock with a modern prog atmosphere, the energy of a pop punk band, the orchestration of a jazz fusion band, some moments of complex heaviness like a progressive metal band, the musicianship of a well-trained orchestra, the groove of a chill funk band, the communication and fluidity of an experienced jazz combo, and a compositional genius unmatched by most bands today.

With every song the band manages to throw a new curveball, whether it's the beautifully arranged polyphonic a capella piece 'Prelude' that opens the album or the full-out jazz fusion solo-fest 'Suspicious Waveforms,' the guys always have something up their sleeve, and this album is a fantastic showing of the vast creative ability that lies within the seven musicians. On top of the creative compositional ability, the pure musicianship in every member is astounding, and every part on every song is played with fluid ease and crystal understanding. On top of that, every guy seems to know every other guy in the best musical way, so that in every solo section every part flows smoothly, everything meshes with incredible ease, and the whole musical movement sounds effortless.

One of the main reasons I like this new offering from Thank You Scientist over their original EP is the even more creative orchestrations found on the album. On Perils of Time Travel, while it in no way detracted from the EP, it felt as though the more 'exotic' rock instruments in the band (the reeds, brass, and stings) were used more as a texture in the place of keyboards. While of course they had solos and added their little flair to the EP, it seems as though this album uses them more to their potential. They're used for not only for filling out harmonies, but as lead parts, straight melody instruments, soloists, and so much more. If there was one thing that really made TYS what it is, it would be their awesome eclectic lineup, and I was so happy to see it used in such an awesome manner on the album.

Any expectations I had of this album before diving into it (a concrete swan dive I might add) were shattered by the end of my first listen. The album is a truly fantastic showing of the band's musical might, it is extremely enjoyable and memorable the whole way through, and it has the absolute perfect mix of complexity and simplicity as to attract the prog fans but not scare away those who aren't obsessed with having 108 time signature changes in five minutes. The mix of emotion, as seen in songs like 'Absentee,' and technicality, which appears in most of the album but most especially songs like 'My Famed Disappearing Act,' is spot on, and the balance between heavy riffs and either lighter instrumentation or solo parts is in perfect homeostasis as well. The vocals are well-performed and complement the music perfectly. Overall, there is essentially nothing wrong with this album. I'll cap it the same way I began: if you don't have this album, I recommend you get it. Now. 4+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#777975) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review by Windhawk
4 stars US act THANK YOU SCIENTIST is a relatively fresh addition to the progressive rock universe. They started making their presence an official one around 2009, released their first EP in 2011, and 2012 saw them launch their full length debut album "Maps of Non-Existent Places". And as is more and more common these days the band opted for a self-released production.

Thank You Scientist is a band that should be a Godsend to those who enjoy music with an innovative spirit and approach. Their compositions venture out into territories rarely visited by others, if at all, and while they utilize a great variety of details in compositions and performance alike most would regard as not really a part of the progressive rock universe, the greater picture and overall context of this material is placed rather firmly at the core of it. at minimum in terms of approach. A band to seek out by those who tend to enjoy music of a fairly innovative nature, and if you like jazz rock and music that can be compared to the likes of The Mars Volta both I suspect that Thank You Scientist's "Maps of Non-Existent Places" will be a treasured addition to your music collection.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#839232) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012

4 stars In conversations with our beloved editor/boss/thing Dan, I've used the term "mad scientist prog" to describe that brand of genre-blending madness that I absolutely adore, and he thinks up lame puns to deride. However, I have a certain love for bands who put a value on trying something new, all ... (read more)

Report this review (#1211391) | Posted by Daggor | Friday, July 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What a great and so underrated debut album! I have been really disappotinted about the year of 2012 so far. The only album that makes me satisfied is surely Banks of Eden, and imho the other Progachives' popular albums, namely English Electric, Echolyn, Weather Systems etc. don't deserve the rating ... (read more)

Report this review (#883683) | Posted by nostoc | Friday, December 28, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THANK YOU SCIENTIST "Maps of Non-Existent Places"