MAPS OF NON-EXISTENT PLACES

Thank You Scientist Maps Of Non-Existent Places album cover

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Prelude (1:11)
2. A Salesman's Guide to Nonexistence (5:02)
3. Feed the Horses (6:26)
4. Blood on the Radio (9:22)
5. Absentee (5:59)
6. Suspicious Waveforms (6:31)
7. Carnival (6:31)
8. Concrete Swan Dive (5:47)
9. In the Company of Worms (5:46)
10. My Famed Disappearing Act (5:43)

Total time 58:18

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps Of Non-Existent Places lyrics

Search THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps Of Non-Existent Places tabs

- Salvatore Marrano / lead vocals
- Tom Monda / fretted & fretless guitars, acoustic guitar, cello, shamisen, vocals
- Russ Lynch / violin, viola, mandolin

With:
- Mark Radice / vocals
- David Bodie / percussion

Artwork: John Bryan IV

CD self-released (2012, US)
CD Evil Ink Records ‎- EI200 (2014, US) Remixed/Remastered by Andy VanDette

2xLP Evil Ink Records ‎- EI200V (2014, US) Remixed/Remastered by Andy VanDette

Thanks to Andy Webb for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

THANK YOU SCIENTIST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps Of Non-Existent Places Music

Maps Of Non-Existent PlacesMaps Of Non-Existent Places
Evil Ink 2014

Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places [New CD] Digipack Packaging USD $16.34 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places [New CD] Digipack Packaging USD $11.17 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Maps of Non-Existent Places by Thank You Scientist (Vinyl, Sep-2014,... USD $20.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Maps Of Non-Existent Places - Thank You Scientist (CD Used Like New) USD $9.17 Buy It Now 5 days
THANK YOU SCIENTIST - MAPS OF NON-EXISTENT PLACES [DIGIPAK] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $11.15 Buy It Now 6 days
THANK YOU SCIENTIST - MAPS OF NON-EXISTENT PLACES [DIGIPAK] NEW CD USD $12.28 Buy It Now 6 days
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places USD $1.32 [0 bids]
Maps of Non-Existent Places by Thank You Scientist *New CD* USD $8.25 Buy It Now 10 days
Maps of Non-Existent Places by Thank You Scientist (Vinyl, Sep-2014,... USD $28.67 Buy It Now 11 days
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places [New Vinyl] Gatefold LP Jacket USD $23.04 Buy It Now 18 days
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places [New Vinyl] Gatefold LP Jacket USD $33.75 Buy It Now 18 days
Maps Of Non-Existent Places - Thank You Scientist - CD - New USD $13.85 Buy It Now 21 days
Maps Of Non-Existent Places - Thank You Scientist - Vinyl LP - New USD $31.90 Buy It Now 21 days
Thank You Scientist - Maps Of Non-Existent Places, Audio CD New USD $9.99 Buy It Now 23 days
THANK YOU SCIENTIST-MAPS OF NON-EXISTENT PLACES (DIG) CD NEW USD $12.80 Buy It Now 24 days
Maps Of Non-Existent Places - Thank You Scientist 88103410 (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $21.04 Buy It Now 24 days
Thank You Scientist Maps Of Non-Existent Places g/f vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $48.54 Buy It Now 25 days

More places to buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST music online Buy THANK YOU SCIENTIST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps Of Non-Existent Places ratings distribution

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Maps Of Non-Existent Places reviews

Review by Andy Webb
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin
4 stars I hope this doesn't obviate the rest of the review, but I'd like to start off by saying this: if you haven't heard Thank You Scientist yet and enjoy music, I command you to drop what you are doing and purchase this album. Thank You Scientist is a young septet formed in New Jersey far away from the shore in 2010. The band was quick to release their debut EP 'Perils of Time Travel' early 2011, which is what first grabbed my attention. The band's incredible use of orchestration between their impressive seven members, obvious energy and passion and playing their music, and overall fresh and creative form of music captivated me with listen after listen. I patiently waited, and before long the band began to post news of a new album, which finally materialized as Maps of Non-existent Places.

If you're not already familiar with the band (which you should be), I'll explain their absolutely wonderful style for you. The seven guys obviously have an incredibly eclectic musical background, because before listening to their music I was unaware so many styles could be shoved into any kind of music. The band manages to fuse the complexity of classic progressive rock with a modern prog atmosphere, the energy of a pop punk band, the orchestration of a jazz fusion band, some moments of complex heaviness like a progressive metal band, the musicianship of a well-trained orchestra, the groove of a chill funk band, the communication and fluidity of an experienced jazz combo, and a compositional genius unmatched by most bands today.

With every song the band manages to throw a new curveball, whether it's the beautifully arranged polyphonic a capella piece 'Prelude' that opens the album or the full-out jazz fusion solo-fest 'Suspicious Waveforms,' the guys always have something up their sleeve, and this album is a fantastic showing of the vast creative ability that lies within the seven musicians. On top of the creative compositional ability, the pure musicianship in every member is astounding, and every part on every song is played with fluid ease and crystal understanding. On top of that, every guy seems to know every other guy in the best musical way, so that in every solo section every part flows smoothly, everything meshes with incredible ease, and the whole musical movement sounds effortless.

One of the main reasons I like this new offering from Thank You Scientist over their original EP is the even more creative orchestrations found on the album. On Perils of Time Travel, while it in no way detracted from the EP, it felt as though the more 'exotic' rock instruments in the band (the reeds, brass, and stings) were used more as a texture in the place of keyboards. While of course they had solos and added their little flair to the EP, it seems as though this album uses them more to their potential. They're used for not only for filling out harmonies, but as lead parts, straight melody instruments, soloists, and so much more. If there was one thing that really made TYS what it is, it would be their awesome eclectic lineup, and I was so happy to see it used in such an awesome manner on the album.

Any expectations I had of this album before diving into it (a concrete swan dive I might add) were shattered by the end of my first listen. The album is a truly fantastic showing of the band's musical might, it is extremely enjoyable and memorable the whole way through, and it has the absolute perfect mix of complexity and simplicity as to attract the prog fans but not scare away those who aren't obsessed with having 108 time signature changes in five minutes. The mix of emotion, as seen in songs like 'Absentee,' and technicality, which appears in most of the album but most especially songs like 'My Famed Disappearing Act,' is spot on, and the balance between heavy riffs and either lighter instrumentation or solo parts is in perfect homeostasis as well. The vocals are well-performed and complement the music perfectly. Overall, there is essentially nothing wrong with this album. I'll cap it the same way I began: if you don't have this album, I recommend you get it. Now. 4+ stars.

Review by Windhawk
4 stars US act THANK YOU SCIENTIST is a relatively fresh addition to the progressive rock universe. They started making their presence an official one around 2009, released their first EP in 2011, and 2012 saw them launch their full length debut album "Maps of Non-Existent Places". And as is more and more common these days the band opted for a self-released production.

Thank You Scientist is a band that should be a Godsend to those who enjoy music with an innovative spirit and approach. Their compositions venture out into territories rarely visited by others, if at all, and while they utilize a great variety of details in compositions and performance alike most would regard as not really a part of the progressive rock universe, the greater picture and overall context of this material is placed rather firmly at the core of it. at minimum in terms of approach. A band to seek out by those who tend to enjoy music of a fairly innovative nature, and if you like jazz rock and music that can be compared to the likes of The Mars Volta both I suspect that Thank You Scientist's "Maps of Non-Existent Places" will be a treasured addition to your music collection.

Review by FragileKings
4 stars I don't recall where I head of Thank You Scientist; however the review sounded interesting enough that I bought the album without ever listening to it.

The first track is a short a Capella song which reminds me of Moon Safari's opening track from "Himlabacken Vol. I". After that, "A Salesman's Guide to Non-existence" opens with a very pop rock feel to it. When I put the CD into my iTunes library, it was automatically labeled as alternative. For a moment I wondered if I hadn't bought something I wasn't really into these days. Once the song gets moving on, though, and the brass kicks in, it becomes clearer what Thank You Scientist are about.

While "Salesman's Guide" is a good enough start, "Feed Your Horses" tells us what the rest of the album is going to be like. This sounds like progressive ska. There's a pop rock aspect with strong vocal melodies but also lots of brass and odd meters with quick stops and starts. Catch some violin in there as well. Before this track was halfway through, my impression was that this was like Spock's Beard meets Seven Impale.

The music doesn't exactly break new ground (very little does these days anyway) but the band have an adventurous spirit and exhibit a strong desire to take whatever roots they mingle to higher levels. Violin, trumpet, sax, trombone, electric guitar capable of metal soloing, and a tight rhythm section with some funky bass at times work together to create some engaging and exciting music. And if you think they'll limit themselves to this, listen to the Latino-in- prog sounds of "Blood on the Radio" or the use of a shamisen (Japanese three-stringed instrument) in "In the Company of Worms". Or get funky with the intro to "Suspicious Waveforms" only to have some violin add a folk touch to the seventies funk feel and then some jazzy sax and trumpet.

If I have any reserves against this album it's only a slight issue with the vocals. And I emphasis slight. There are two or three moments where I almost think Michael Jackson has started singing. Honestly, the timbre is not exactly to my preference, but Salvatore Marrano is not a bad vocalist at all, quite good really. Perhaps the vocals just remind me of Spock's Beard / Enchant too much so that I don't get an impression of an original or personal vocal style. As such, many of the vocal melodies sound a lot like something from those bands as well or at least like something I've heard before.

The music rocks and the instrumental sections are used wisely for solos, new melodies and themes, and lots of grooving and funking. A good ride this album! If you like lots of bouncing brass and a progressive funk/ska sound, check it out.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
4 stars Just one short year after the debut EP, and the band were back with a full-length album of all-new material. The line-up was the same as before, and they had even managed to lift their music a notch, as the listener is dragged straight in with the a capella opening: from there on it just gets even more intense and exciting. It is rare to hear music this complex, invigorating and exciting that is also incredibly commercial. They mix rock and metal with prog, jazz and fusion, not bothering to worry about whether the music fits within any particular genre and not only breaks through preconceived boundaries but smashes them to pieces. This is progressive rock in its very truest sense, with every note and nuance having its place. They combine together far tighter than any band of this size should ever be able to do, and if you don't believe me then listen to the complex introduction of "Feed The Horses": that the song then becomes a Seventies funky pop classic before moving into something else just proves the point.

Sal somehow manages to always stay in control, no matter what is going on around him, and his style certainly adds to the overt commerciality of some of the material. But how can it be commercial when a brass section if playing delicately, there is someone ripping a violin to pieces, and there is also a metal band at full pelt? None of this makes sense unless you are listening to the album, then nothing else matters. In some ways this reminds me of Spock's Beard, not in the way that the music is constructed, but that they are daring to do something different. While the music is heavily arranged, it has to be with this many musicians involved, somehow it is still fresh and exciting. This isn't music designed to smother, but instead is a living, breathing force to be reckoned with. If crossover progressive rock, in its purest form, is what you wish for, then Thank You Scientist are a band that you need to discover immediately, if not sooner.

3 stars After the first two songs the bombastic arrangements become exhausting. The band shows great potential though, then can play many different styles. However, i think they make an abuse of heavy guitars and fast rhythmic patterns. I think i can explain why i like them but at the same time they are ... (read more)

Report this review (#1557133) | Posted by marcobrusa | Friday, April 29, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Two things stand out to me when listening to Thank you Scientist's album Maps of Non-Existent Places: first, the musicianship. One doesn't need to listen for very long to notice how carefully the songs were constructed and orchestrated among the traditional rock instruments and the saxaphone, ... (read more)

Report this review (#1340123) | Posted by boomer89 | Sunday, January 4, 2015 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In conversations with our beloved editor/boss/thing Dan, I've used the term "mad scientist prog" to describe that brand of genre-blending madness that I absolutely adore, and he thinks up lame puns to deride. However, I have a certain love for bands who put a value on trying something new, all ... (read more)

Report this review (#1211391) | Posted by Daggor | Friday, July 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What a great and so underrated debut album! I have been really disappotinted about the year of 2012 so far. The only album that makes me satisfied is surely Banks of Eden, and imho the other Progachives' popular albums, namely English Electric, Echolyn, Weather Systems etc. don't deserve the rating ... (read more)

Report this review (#883683) | Posted by nostoc | Friday, December 28, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THANK YOU SCIENTIST "Maps Of Non-Existent Places"