AVENIDA LARCO

Studio Album, released in 1981

1. Obertura (4:28)
2. Avenida Larco (3:46)
3. Mundo Raro (4:52)
4. Pastas, Pepas y otros Postres (3:28)
5. Esto es Iluminacion (3:08)
6. Floral (5:21)
7. Hombres Solos (El Caiman) (2:49)
8. Oda al Tulipán (5:11)
9. Lizy (2:56)
10. Le Dicen Rock (3:22)

Search FRÁGIL Avenida Larco lyrics

Search FRÁGIL Avenida Larco tabs

- Octavio Castillo / synthesisers, Korg, ARP, violin, steel guitar, piano, flute
- Arturo Creamer / drums, percussion
- César Bustamante / piano, synthesisers, Korg, organ, mellotron, violin, ARP, OMNI
- Luis Valderrama / guitars, mandolin
- Andrés Dulude / vocals
- Jean Pierre Magnet / saxophone (10)

ROCK SYMPHONY #RSLN 027

and to moranmarco for the last updates

FRÁGIL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRÁGIL Avenida Larco Music

More places to buy FRÁGIL music online Buy FRÁGIL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRÁGIL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRÁGIL Avenida Larco ratings distribution

FRÁGIL Avenida Larco reviews

Review by Greger
3 stars The Peruvian progressive rock band FRAGIL was founded in 1976 and gained quite huge success back then. Bands such as GENESIS and YES inspired them, and they took their name from the YES album "Fragile" (1972). I have never before heard a progressive rock band from Peru, but my first experience is quite good. I guess that there isn't many progressive rock bands in Peru however. FRAGIL have released four albums and this is a re-edition of their first album "Avenida Larco" from 1981. Their sound is very beautiful, often dreamy and dominated by typical 80's sounding polyphonic synthesisers and lyrics in Spanish. Besides the GENESIS and YES influences there's also some reminiscences to bands such as IQ, MARILLION and PENDRAGON. The tracks are rather short for being progressive rock, and my favourites are the opening "Obertura", the title track "Avenida Larco", "Esto Es Numinacion", "Hombres Solos (El Caiman) and "Lizy". A good album and interesting because it's originated from Peru. Check it out!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#2732) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2004

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars This Peruvian symphonic band started playing covers of great prog legends like Yes and Genesis in the mid 70's, but after some years of succesful concerts they decided to release their own music with lyrics in Spanish. They started including two or three of their songs in each concert then after a while only played their own stuff.

Avenida Larco, their first release is IMHO the best progressive album ever recorded in Perú, the music has evident influence of Yes and mostly Genesis, but they don't copy their idols, they create their own sound using this influences.

The song "Avenida Larco" became a hit single in Perú but as most hit singles I don't believe it's the best one, "Overtura" (Oberture) is a great opener, with a great guitar work, probably simpler for foreign listeners because it's an instrumental. "Pastas Pepas y otros Postres" (Cocaine, Pills and other Desserts) is another great song with amazing keyboards. Of course there's a special place for "Oda al Tulipan" (Ode to the Tulip), with strange lyrics but a very complete sound that includes horns.

A must have for any prog' fan, specially if you don't care for the lyrics in Spanish, I will rate it with 5 stars because it's the original source of the band and their best compositions.

Best song: Oda al Tulipan (Ode to the Tulip)/ Obertura (Overture)

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#2733) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 26, 2004

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars For more than twenty years, Frágil has been and continues to be the most prominent progressive band in the rather wane Peruvian rock scene, though their musical production per se has been quite inconsistent. Having started their musical career as a Yes/Genesis/Focus cover band in the mid 70's, the band learned to forge and foster their own symphonic style while writing their own material, which resulted in pure prog symphonic seasoned with diverse South American folk and acoustic touches. During their seminal years, the band earned an ever increasing number of devoted fans, who were mesmerized by the charisma and theatrical personality of lead vocalist Andrés Dulude. He also wrote almost all the lyrics, which usually dealt with social issues and introspective matters. The other members were: Octavio Castillo on keyboards, flute, steel guitar, mandolin and vocals; César Bustamante on bass, additional keyboards and vocals; Luis Valderrama on lead, acoustic and classical guitars; and Arturo Creamer on drums and percussion - all of them working together effectively as a well oiled ensemble. Of course, the presence of solos on guitar, synth and flute was here and there, but the general norm was to keep the ensemble working as a musical unit. Their melodic sense may remind the listener of classic Genesis and Yes, having some clear coincidences with the typical melodic sensibility of Italian bands (Locanda delle Fate) or Argentinian (Espíritu). This line-up released their first album Avenida Larco in 1981, being very well received both by fans and critics. Numbers like "Oda al Tulipán", "Mundo Raro", "Pastas, Pepas y Otros Postres", "Hombres Solos" and the title track were specially featured in their repertoire. "Oda al Tulipán" and "Obertura" are the mos ambitious compositions in the album, while "Pastas, Pepas...", "Esto es Iluminación", "Hombres Solos" and the title track (their most popular song so far, after almost 25 years) portray a healthy combination of prog elegance and catchy melodic lines. Both "Floral" (their first song) and "Mundo Raro" show the most sensitive side of the band, with those eerie synth sounds and rhythm acoustic guitars in the background delivering a proper sonic landscape for Dulude's emotional singing. The instrumental "Lizy" is sheer beauty, with Castillo handling his flute parts with mesmerizaing delicacy. The closing track "Le Dicen Rock" is mainly a rockn'roll number with some hints of sophistication, single material indeed (and the second single A-side it was): it serves as a funny ending for an album that has a high level of seriousness in the remaining repertoire. The album as a whole exhibited the best musical qualities of the band, as described in the first lines of this review: 'Avenida Larco' stands out as one of the most beautiful prog recordings in the history os South American rock.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#2735) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 23, 2004

Review by debrewguy
4 stars Sometimes an album sneaks up on you. This one did, and it took only a few listens for it to find a cherished place in my collection.

First, let me fully admit that Fragil do have a Pop element to their music. Not the vapid top 40 pablum fed by Corporate Radio, but in the sense of having an excellent melodic sense, i.e the ability to write songs that stay with you long after you've heard them. As such, it is no surprise to read Ivan mentioning that Avenida Larco had been a hit single in Peru.

How would I describe their sound here - imagine if Genesis had built on their approach from And Then There Were Three, reined in the wall of sound synths, balanced it out with acoustic guitars, and displayed the melodies more prominently. Or a less pompous sounding Saga. (not that I mind that sort of sound for Saga) . Or a less morose H era Marillion without the massive synth washes. Again, not to say I dislike that aspect of Marillion, just a comparison. I can't speak of the lyrics, as I speak no Spanish. But the ambience is generally an upbeat one.

One caveat - if you are a purist, and cannot tolerate the slightest hint of Pop music, this is not the album for you. If you can be open to some Pop's ability to fit in well in a Symphonic prog style, this is worth your time.

Best of all, you have MP3s and videos available here that will decisively give you an answer to whether this is music for you.

Put a little South America sun into your prog. Give this a listen !

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#202313) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009

5 stars This is my favorite Fragil album. They combine the classic sound of Yes, Genesis and King Crimson to make a fantastic progressive mix. The most commercial song of this album is "Av.Larco", it was a well-known song back in the 90's and the song which I like the most is "Obertura", I think it is an ... (read more)

Report this review (#82878) | Posted by Dream Theater | Wednesday, July 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This band is quite famous here in Peru, not as famous as they were back then when I was a kid, but they are still respected in the rock environment, and they deserve it, cause they are our best progressive bands and makes us all peruvian progheads proud, and that's why I write this review with a ... (read more)

Report this review (#82365) | Posted by AcostaFulano | Saturday, July 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The First time that I went to Fragil's concert, it was at Humboldt School auditorium, in the 70s and I was impressed by the quality of his music, the last time I saw them was in San Isidro in the church next to Camino Real..Then I came to USA but I brought with me their cassette. I used to wor ... (read more)

Report this review (#38611) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This record have been a little bit overrated, considering that it was recorded in the early eighties with an early seventies sound, and spanish rock songs were already common at that time- except in Peru were the audience is not exactly open minded- but don't get me wrong, this is a fine album ... (read more)

Report this review (#2737) | Posted by | Wednesday, December 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If you find it, buy it, i assure you no regrets at all, dont expect an 80's sound but a clear 70's sound much alike Yes' and Genesis'. Sadly it's not well known around the world, thats mainly because of Peru's situation and music piracy. Just buy this or any Fragil album, as said, you wont reg ... (read more)

Report this review (#2734) | Posted by eriksalkeld | Friday, September 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRÁGIL "Avenida Larco"