BURN THE SUN

Ark

Ark Burn The Sun album cover

Buy ARK Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Heal The Waters (6:37)
2. Torn (3:51)
9. Feed The Fire (3:56)
10. I Bleed (4:03)
11. Missing You (9:04)

Bonus track on 2001 CD (Japan):
12. Silent is the Rain (2:46)

Search ARK Burn The Sun lyrics

Search ARK Burn The Sun tabs

- Tore Østby / guitar
- John Macaluso / drums
- Jorn Lande / vocals
- Randy Coven / bass
- Mats Olausson / keyboards

CD Avalon MICP-10236 (Japan, 2001)
CD InsideOut IOMCD 075 (Germany, 2001)
CD Favoured Nations FN21760-2 (2001)
CD NTS 3067792 (France, 2001)
CD FaceFront FF015 (Norway, 2001)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

ARK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARK Burn The Sun Music

ArkeologyArkeology
EMI Import 2008
Arkpocalypse NowArkpocalypse Now
Perlon 2010
Sarsippius' Ark by Infectious Grooves  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $9.00 Buy It Now 39m 38s
MAX ROMEO WAR IN A BABYLON UK ORIG MASSIVE LEE PERRY BLACK ARK ANTHEM!! US $11.18 Buy It Now 51m 28s
Alessi's Ark - Soul Proprietor NEW/SEALED CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 2h
Ark, Nine Days to No One, Excellent EP US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Ark Sextet, Marie Mcauliffe, Very Good US $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Lee Perry & The Sufferers' - Sound Doctor Black Ark Singles & [Vinyl New] US $22.79 Buy It Now 2h 22m
DAVID LYNCH noah's ark MOBY remix 12" VINYL SEALED sunday best RSD 2012 new!!! US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Baby Blessings - Noahs Musical Ark (2002) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.50 [0 bids]
Make Some Noise by Liquid Soul (CD, Mar-2000, ARK 21 (USA)) US $3.49 [0 bids]
Fred Ryon K-Ark 864 45rpm Sunnyside of the Mountain Ultra Rare Ive Been NR US $29.99 [0 bids]
THE ANIMALS "ARK" LP 1983 I.R.S. RECORDS US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Mondo Soca by Various Artists (CD, Dec-2001, ARK 21 (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Bluegrass - Country Gospel-Airs - Ark Records 248 - 45rpm EP - Cincinnati Ohio US $36.00 Buy It Now 5h
CASSETTE TAPE INFECTIOUS GROOVES SARSIPPIUS ARK LIMITED EDITION RARE PROMO 1993 US $7.49 Buy It Now 5h 33m
LEE PERRY - AURA MEETS LEE PERRY AT BLACK ARK: FULL EXPERIENCE NEW VINYL US $27.35 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Desert Roses and Arabian Rhythms, Vol. 1 by Various Artists (CD, Mar-2001, ARK 2 US $2.00 [0 bids]
The Impossible Love (Al Hob Al Mustaheel) [Ark 21] by Kazem Al Saher (CD, Oct-20 US $2.00 [0 bids]
The Lion Roars: Live in America by Hakim (CD, Oct-2001, 2 Discs, ARK 21 (USA)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
6h
The Ark - "In Full Regalia (Magazine + CD) - 2010 US $16.56 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] by John Williams... US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Meco: The Raiders March (From "Raiders Of The Lost Ark") 7" 45 NM Canada US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Ben Zebelman Suite: Noah's Ark CD *SEALED* Piano US $5.39 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Noah's Ark by Paul Grabowsky CD Original Soundtrack FREE SHIPPING11 US $6.25 [0 bids]
THE ANIMALS Ark IRS SP 70037 Original Band Reunion 1983 ERIC BURDON Sealed US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 49m
The Good Book Presents: Noah's Ark - Various Artists CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
MAX LASSER'S ARK Into the Rainbow LP US $2.25 [0 bids]
MAX LASSER'S ARK Eathwalk LP US $2.25 [0 bids]
NOAHS ARK & the world god made ARCH BOOKS ALOUD 45 RPM RECORD US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 48m
All the Way to There by John Berry (Country) (CD, Oct-2001, ARK 21 (USA)) US $5.77 [0 bids]
Leopard Son by Stewart Copeland (CD, Oct-1996, ARK 21 (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
CD Bible Stories for Kids Noah and the Ark Amelia AirDove and Friends CD 1999 US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
HEAR - Rare Country 45 - Euel Danial - Broken Engagement - K-Ark - # 830 - VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Moving Amongst the Madness by The Nextmen (CD, Jun-2000, 75 Ark) US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 30m
Sarsippiu Ark, Infectious Grooves, New US $6.55 Buy It Now 11h 56m
ARK - IN FULL REGALIA (IMPORT) NEW CD US $38.48 Buy It Now 12h 4m
CELESTIAL MOODS, THE ARK, NEW CD US $13.98 Buy It Now 12h 32m
THE ANIMALS: Ark LP I.R.S. RECORDS SP70037 US 1983 In Shrink NM US $11.69 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Infectious Grooves: Sarsippius' Ark (CD, Epic (USA)) US $7.95 [0 bids]
John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark Japan 1st cd POCP-2013 Steven Spielberg US $22.90 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Night Ark In Wonderland NEW Sealed Indonesia Cassette US $17.77 Buy It Now 17h 29m
Max Lässer's Ark, A Different Kind of Blue Audio CD US $7.71 Buy It Now 19h 8m
ARK LANCASHIRE UNI 93 RAVE FLYER FLYERS US $2.47 [0 bids]
Alessi's Ark - Still Life [Vinyl New] US $23.74 Buy It Now 19h 31m
Painting It Red by The Beautiful South (CD, Oct-2000, ARK 21 (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
L'Arc~en~Ciel ark Limited Edition Album Japan US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Skyclad - Jonah's Ark cassette tape Sabbat US $6.63 Buy It Now 20h 4m
BONEY M SOMEWHERE IN WORLD EXODUS NOAHS ARK 2001 RARE SINGLE 45 INDIA INDIAN US $18.74 Buy It Now 20h 15m
MY NOAH'S ARK,DOROTHY MAXWELL,MINIATURE SUITE FOR PIANO.MUSIC BOOK, US $29.85 Buy It Now 21h 45m
Aisle Seat Great Film Music John Williams The Boston Pops Raider of Lost Ark ET+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 22h 38m
JEFF JOHNSON - SHADOW PLAY (1982, TAPE, Ark) Classic Jesus Music Psych US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 59m
The Anvil Of God's Word [LP] by Jeff Johnson 1977 Ark Records US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Animals(Vinyl LP)Ark-I.R.S.-SP 70037-UK-VG/NM US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rockabilly Jimmy Dawson K-ARK 774 (( ? )) Big black bug boogie US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ARK - IN FULL REGALIA * - NEW CD US $26.77 Buy It Now 1 day
The Canadian Brass - Greatest Hits (1983 RCA Records ARK1-4733) Used Cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Raiders Of The Lost Ark John Williams 1981 Columbia Rec. Soundtrack JS 37373 M/M US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
75 Ark Sampler CD PROMO Anti-Pop Consortium Encore Mista Sinista US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Up There Down Here by The Badlees (CD, Aug-1999, ARK 21 (USA)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
HEAR IT COUNTRY Paul Moore K-Ark 674 Della Joe US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ALESSI'S ARK "Still Life" Mint 13-Track Promo US $3.30 [0 bids]
Smile by Skeletons (CD, Mar-2010, Impossible Ark Records) US $0.01 [0 bids]
ALESSI'S ARK- The Still Life LP & CD (NEW 2013) Indie Rock/Folk - Bella Union US $19.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Raiders of the Lost Ark Original Movie Soundtrack -- 1981 **Mint Cassette Tape** US $8.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE - K-ARK 45 - ARTIST SIGNED (RALPH ROYVALE) US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Running Roads by George Dalaras (2001, ARK 21) CD & PAPER SLEEVE ONLY US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
OBSCURE COUNTRY SLIM FOSTER Never Be Untrue K-ARK 45 I Wish I'd Known ST LOUIS US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Manu Chao - Clandestino (Used CD, 1998, ARK 21 ) US $3.00 [0 bids]
THE VERVE PIPE-Pop Smear-ALTERNATIVE-Rock-GRUNGE-Metal-BRIAN VANDER ARK-Ss-CD US $10.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Lalu - Atomic Ark NEW CD Digi US $16.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Beat Conspiracy, Vol. 1 (BBC1) (CD, Apr-1998, ARK 21 (USA)) US $3.79 Buy It Now 1 day
The Running Roads by George Dalaras (CD, Oct-2001, ARK 21 (USA)) US $19.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Vintage 45 Record Hermie Plunk Blue Is The Night Ork Records OS 33 Jonesboro Ark US $120.00 [0 bids]
THE SAND PEBBLES Noah's Ark, Hey Let Me In, Sundowner 7" single OOP 33 RPM US $60.00 Buy It Now 1 day
(EB847) Alessi's Ark, Tin Smithing - 2013 DJ CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 1 day
HEAR - Rare Country 45 - Monty Lee Montgomery - Top Tune Number One - K-Ark - M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cathedral Quartet Prestigious LP 1984 Riversong Build An Ark Come On In NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Unknown Artist Noah and the Ark CD Bible Stories CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Infectious Grooves Sarsippius Ark Limited Edition CD Suicidal Tendencies US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Country 45 DON DENNIS She Wanted To on K-Ark US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists : Noahs Musical Ark CD (2002) US $3.96 Buy It Now 1 day
LEE PERRY Roaring Lion 2xLP NEW VINYL Pressure Sounds Rare Black Ark Dub Plates US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 19 Vintage 8 TRACK TAPES w CASE Willie Nelson ZZ Top Stones Cooper BO Ark US $36.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Animals Ark SP70037 US $7.96 Buy It Now 1 day
The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move Infectious Grooves + Sarsippius' Ark US $3.49 [0 bids]
JOYCE & THE ARTISTICS -(45)- GOODIE GOODIE / BLUE MOON - K-ARK RECORDS - 1962 US $14.59 Buy It Now 1 day
ARK: ...the Angels Come LP (inner sleeve, sm toc/tol) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Unknown Artist Stories to Remember Presents: Noahs Ark CD US $6.64 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best of the Human League by The Human League (CD, Jul-1998, ARK 21 (USA)) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Ark 21 Records MONDO MELODIA & MONDO RHYTMICA Series 6CD Digipack Collection SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Animals LP Ark 1983 shrink NM US $6.95 [0 bids]
The Upsetters with Lee Perry & Friends - Build The Ark UK Import CD 2-discs RARE US $49.99 [0 bids]
ARK PERCUSSION STAFF pulse! vol.1 zyklus nr.9 VG/EX JAPAN 28AG163 | 14-0227-038 US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Separation [Digipak] by Ark of the Covenant (CD, May-2011, Strike First Records) US $6.92 Buy It Now 1 day
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK SOUNDTRACK (CD, 1981, POLYDOR, (W. GERMANY)) US $16.19 Buy It Now 1 day
LEE SCRATCH PERRY Soundz from the Hot Line RARE 70s black ark dub reggae Marley US $6.99 [0 bids]
ARK PERCUSSION STAFF-PULSE!VOL.1 ZYKLUS NR.9/RARE JAPAN 1970 PRESS/STOCKHAUSEN US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EDGAR ALLAN POE - Legado de una Tragedia ( mago de oz dark moor ebony ark member US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists : Jazz Out the Ark CD (2006) US $5.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Ark - In Full Regalia CD US $31.75 Buy It Now 1 day
VARIOUS 'NOVUS THE SAMPLER' US LP LIZ STORY JUAN MARIN NIGHT ARK PROMO COPY US $13.25 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy ARK music online Buy ARK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARK Burn The Sun ratings distribution

ARK Burn The Sun reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars Absolutely fabulous prog-metal (a subgenre I generally don't enjoy), which actually deserves another half star. With traces of Rush and Metallica - and lots of Whitesnake (think "Still of the Night") - Ark shows what a number of bands might have sounded like had they followed progressive paths, including Foreigner (I Bleed, Missing You), GNR (Burn The Sun, Noose), Journey (Resurrection, Waking Hour, Feed the Fire), and even Zep (Absolute Zero). In the process, vocalist Jorn Lande does wonderful, and largely natural, imitations of Lou Gramm, Steve Perry, Axl Rose and David Coverdale (with a little Robert Plant thrown in). / The album starts off with "Heal The Waters," a powerful Rush-style metal-prog composition. Continuing the onslaught is "Torn" (with interesting traces of Marillion), followed by "Burn the Sun," a solid GNR-like song. The quasi-ballad "Resurrection" is not quite as successful. "Absolute Zero" brings the band back in a relentless (but excellent) way, evoking where Zep might have gone had they gone the way of "Kashmir" and other PG-era semi-prog. "Just A Little" has some amazing guitar work, beginning in a "spanish" flavor and then moving into a more classic "prog" sound; if memory serves, this was actually something of a "hit" for the band. The remainder of the album ranges from good to very good, with "Missing You" having a distinct Floydian flavor to it. The lyrics center primarily on an environmental theme, with both science and "religion" mixed in: all are thoughtful, some "deeper" than others. Interestingly, the drummer is included in the writing credits for all compositions - deservedly so, given that he is among the best, most creative metal drummers I've ever heard. / Overall, I found this album highly listenable, and strangely compelling. To quote Peter Rideout from a different review: this is prog-rock with the accent on "rock" - and boy can these guys rock!

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#25376) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 12, 2004

Review by Greger
5 stars A Norwegian Prog Metal super-group isn't anything you hear about every day. ARK is the exception although all the members aren't from Norway. The line- up is really amazing: Jorn Lande (COMPANY OF SNAKES), Tore Østby (CONCEPTION), John Macaluso (TNT), Randy Coven (Steve VAI, Steve MORSE) and Mats Olausson (Yngwie MALMSTEEN). They released their self-titled debut album in 1999, and "Burn The Sun" is the newly released follow up.

The vocalist Jorn Lande has a powerful voice with great diversity. He can sing like David COVERDALE, Ronnie James DIO, Peter GABRIEL, Ian GILLAN, Freddie MERCURY, Robert PLANT, STING, or anyone else. Tore Østby is a real guitar virtuoso and Mats Olausson doesn't need any further presentation.

I can't come up with anything negative to say about this album, because it has everything a good Prog Metal album should have: good compositions, complex arrangements, outstanding musicians, intricate rhythmical patterns and strong melodies. I don't think I have been that surprised by a band in this genre since I first heard A.C.T.'s debut album "Today's Report" in 1999. ARK has actually created their own style by blending Prog Metal, Progressive Rock, Neo-Classic Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. I know it doesn't sound that unique, but you have to hear it to understand what I mean. The closest comparison that comes to mind is a mix between A.C.T., MAGNITUDE 9, QUEEN and THRESHOLD.

This is one of the best albums released in the new millennium. It's creative, diverse, innovative and intelligent music, and it deserves to be a modern classic. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#25380) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 03, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars Deep Purple plays Progressive Metal?

Yep! This is how I can describe this album in brief. Why? The music is completely progressive metal with many abrupt changes in style and tempo but the vocal quality and singing style is very similar with David Coverdale of Deep Purple. Can you imagine that? Hope you can. If not, just buy the CD - you would never regret it. For me personally, I knew the band about two years ago from information exchage with my power metal friends who love bands like Helloween, Kamelot, Blind Guardian or Angra, etc. I did not pay enough attention on it but when I listened to it - wow! what a great music offering with varied riffs and styles. So I did purchase the CD sometime this year during 10th PROGNITE event in Jakarta. Two things triggered me to write my thoughts about this album. Couple of weeks ago I got a Norway's band MAGIC PIE debut album (which I wrote a long review in this site). Two weeks ago, in prog program from the Jakarta Alternative Station (radio) Magic Pie was aired with its opening track "Change" (20 minutes) and at the same time the radio aired also "Missing You" from Ark "Burn The Sun" album. What a coincidence! Both bands are coming out from Norway and both are excellent bands. So I am being cjhallenged to write my views about ARK "Burn The Sun" .

I am not going to review on track by track basis but for sure if you are not into a progressive metal music, I would recommend you to go straight to the 11th track "Missing You". Why? This track is the most accessible one to wider range of ears because it's like a melodic ballad with a sort of combination between neo prog with symphonic prog music with orchestra at background. Some people call this kind of track is "ear candy" because you can digest easily. The other ten tracks are completely progressive metal vein with rich composition and abrupt tempo changes, heavy riffs and powerful vocal. The album opener "Heal The Waters" (6:37) starts energetically with drum solo followed with heavy music. The other great tracks are "Resurrection" (5:31) which has great melody and nice guitar riffs that bring us to the 80s hard rock music. The style changes beautifully in the middle of the track. Sixth track "Just A Little" (4:36) is another great track especially with the use of spanish acoustic guitar played in fast speed - it reminds me to Germany's guitarist Bern Streidl. This song is so powerful.

It's a highly recommended progressive metal album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Progressively yours, GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#48149) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 24, 2005

Review by el böthy
2 stars Before I start my review let me just clarify this one thing; if you are into Power metal add two stars, if not trust my judgment.

ARK was somewhat of a super metal group that lived for a small period of time in the late ´90 and part of the eraly ´00, where we have five of the most virtuoso players the genre can deliver... having said that I must make a second clarification: this might be virtuoso playing... but there are no "virtuoso compositions", sad but true, the songwriting in this album is nothing worth mentioning, not at least in a genre that has monsters of composition like Michael Akerfeld and Daniel Gildenlöw amongs others. Yes, sure they can play, boy can they play!, but that can get you only so far, at the end of the day I WANT GOOD COMPOSITIONS. But, now, I´m being too drastic, I have said earlier that if we take this from a Power metal perspective, it´s a rather good album, so there must be something good here, right? But I am not a Power metal fan, and this is not a Power metal site, it´s a Prog site, and keeping that in mind I don´t see why this album should be so highly rated.

Guitarist Tore Østby has quite a personal touch and way of playing, which is always welcomed, specially in a genre like Power metal, where innovation is not frequently the most used word. But... yet... still... I don´t like his playing that much and I feel like he has no real composition skills. But hey, that´s just me! Singer Jorn Lande is one talented [%*!#]er, I know many metal singers would kill for his tone and technique, but he is not equality talented when it comes to the writing process. Songs like Missing you and Feed the fire confirm that... that´s down right Whitesnake... in their bad days. Yet, lyrics aside, great voice, although I like him more in the first Beyond Twilight album, as I think a heavier band fits his voice better. Drummer John Macaluso is probalby my favorite musician here, an underrated drummer that has a great way of playing where he combines power with texture and originality. The bassist and keyboarder are also very good, but the band are this three gentlemen.

So, great musicianship and talent... shouldn´t this be one of the top metal bands ever? Well, I guess this just goes to show that virtuosism does not equal great music. But, still, keep in mind that if you are into this kind of music you will find something to love here for sure.

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#141073) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2007

3 stars There's so much that I like about this record, but there are a couple of things about it that keep me from giving it 4 stars.The first and most important are the David Coverdale-like vocals. I never was a fan of his singing or his commercial sounding music. That is hard for me to get past. The other is the lyrics, and while they may be easier to ignore they are in some cases really bad. Just read them, it will be obvious which songs i'm talking about. Having said all that, these guys create some pretty amazing music at times.

"Heal The Waters" contrasts the heavy and lighter sections (reserved vocals and synths) quite well. Good song. "Torn" opens with some atmosphere. I like it. It kicks into gear a minute in. Contrast continues. Some excellent bass in this one. Another good one. "Burn The Sun" opens with some good guitar before turning dark and heavier with vocals. Female spoken words 3 minutes in. Some fantastic guitar follows. "Resurrection" opens with some very good drumming. Cool song. I like the mellow sections. A wall of sound 5 minutes in. Nice.

"Absolute Zero" is my absolute favourite on the album. The vocals have a different tone to them. The drumming is so intricate like Bruford. It takes off 1 1/2 minutes in. Awesome bass ! Back to opening sounds as contrast continues. I just really like the style of music here which is so different from the rest of the album. "Just A Little" opens with what sounds like Spanish guitar melodies. I don't like the vocals at all or the song. Too poppy for my tastes, in fact it sounds like that guy who calls himself Seal. We do get some good electric guitar later but it's way too late to save this mess. "Waking Hour" features percussion and synths. It becomes more powerful after a minute. Contrast continues. "Noose" is quite heavy. Great guitar solo before 1 1/2 minutes. "Feed The Fire" is a good uptempo track with brutal lyrics though. "I Bleed" has the focus squarely on the vocals. Love the guitar solo after 2 1/2 minutes that goes on and on. "Missing You" is the 9 minute closer. I can't really get into this one either although it it's ok.

Good, but not even close to being great in my opinion.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#177175) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 17, 2008

Review by Negoba
4 stars Could Have Been So Beautiful

Ark was a prog metal supergroup that produced an extremely promising, though uneven, debut album. For their second album, singer extraordinaire Jorn Lande, multi-faceted prog guitarist Tore Ostby, and drummer John Macaluso added Randy Coven, who was a shred bass aficionado in the guitar mags, and keyboardist Mats Olaussen, who had played with Yngwie Malmsteen. All the pieces were set for a prog metal masterpiece. Unfortunately, Lande led the band further down the melodic power metal path, and the progressiveness is actually less here than on their debut.

That said, this is a monster of a power metal album. The guitars are heavy, the riffs driving, and the chops of the players are phenomenal and on display. The bass deserves special regard here. Randy Coven plays like a demon on this album, let loose like he'd probably never been on record before. Along with providing active, jazz-infused accompaniment, he also gets some unbelievable solo spots, including a percussive face off with Lande doing traditional Indian vocal percussion! Lande is also a force of nature. While other vocalists may have higher ranges in terms of register, there is virtually no metal singer with a broader range of timbre, with different aspects of their voice brought to the music. On this album, Jorn's own identity is consolidating from his myriad influences, and is leagues above the majority of prog metal singers. And while he pulls off the ballads and straight rockers well, they are less interesting for (at least this) prog listener's ears.

My biggest disappointment is that guitarist Ostby doesn't get the chance to truly branch out. His parts are rocking and extremely well constructed, but his flamenco flavored acoustic chops are less prominent here than on the debut. As a result some of the exotic feel of the music is lost. (The flamenco IS still on full display on the song Just a Little, which evokes the Seal song Crazy a little too closely). Tore's metal soloing is typically blistering, and admittedly his metal rhythm parts are just friggin' amazing. I suspect the shift in the balance of influence from equal parts Lande and Ostby to Lande as decided frontman was part of the breakup of the band. (This is painfully clear if you look at the promo pictures from the two albums.)

There ARE a fair number of proggy elements in this album. Intermittent thematic sci-fi references and off time rhythms punctuate the album. Heavy syncopation, jazzy bass, and exotic tonality are frequent visitors. There's just not enough. The little tastes we get are delicious, but this could have been a true feast.

For this review, I came back to listen after checking out some lesser known prog metal outfits. This album is so much better than those that my rating is going to increase as a result. Also, I have not listened to the debut album in a few weeks and I'm better able to judge this one on its own merits. It holds up remarkably well. It's hard to give this album the same rating as the debut, but within the reference point of prog metal, it is appropriate. Ark represents a fairly unique niche in an overpopulated genre, and this album is indeed excellent.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#210682) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars Although signed to a mostly progressive label, this unfortunately is not the much-loved and much-missed Ark who had dreams of Mr. Jones. Instead, this is the second album of a band that started life in Norway. Drummer John Macaluso and guitarist Tore Østby eventually found the right vocalist in Jorn Lande (Company Of Snakes) and after the success of their debut album in 1999 were then joined by Randy Coven (Steve Vai, Steve Morse) and Mats Olausson (Yngwie Malmsteen).

The results of this unions can be heard on this their second album. What is apparent straight away is that they do not feel restricted to any musical style as hard rocking "Heal The Waters" is followed by "Torn" which at times sounds as if it has been influenced by Japan. There is no surprise that the music is for the most part blasted out, or that it is very fine given the musicians, but the surprise is that given that this is a relatively unknown band the song writing is so strong. All of the songs are written by the original trio and the way that none sound like each other yet manages to maintain a band identity is a credit to them. An interesting album that deserves further investigation.

Originally appeared in Feedback #62, May 01

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#968505) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 01, 2013

4 stars Ark - a sadly short-lived and obscure Norwegian prog metal/hard rock band - is best perhaps introduced as one of the first projects of hard rock vocalist extraordinaire Jorn Lande (and featuring some other session musicians reappearing in countless other projects). Songs on their second album ar ... (read more)

Report this review (#1063985) | Posted by Progrussia | Sunday, October 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A spiritual person, I had a bit of a reservation to the album title "Burn the Sun". Some may find the title clever, in my world it comes across as immature and disrespectful. Not a good start. Still, a Norwegian super group held some promise and I obtained both of ARK's albums - sight unseen - ... (read more)

Report this review (#851776) | Posted by BORA | Tuesday, November 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Perfect, Excellent, A true MASTERPIECE!!! ''Burn the Sun'' released in 2001, is considered to be one of the most wonderful Progressive albums for the 00's...Releasing a notably worthy debut album (Ark), the band now presents a true masterpiece. The production is far and far better and clearer t ... (read more)

Report this review (#201870) | Posted by FatalV | Friday, February 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am ordered it and I am listening to it for the first as a whole album now. Man!! a 5 star CD!! I was moved to get the whole album because last year I downloaded one of the best tune from the album ( Resurrection) man what a killer tune so I finally got to hear the whole album and I am lovin ... (read more)

Report this review (#174997) | Posted by darksideof | Monday, June 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is pretty good. I ordered this along with Scarsick (the new Pain of Salvation album). Scarsick sucked but luckly this album made me feel better about my purchase. Some of the songs took a while to grow on me, like "Absolute Zero" and "Just a little" for example. The other songs hooked ... (read more)

Report this review (#114426) | Posted by Delusional900 | Wednesday, March 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A GRATEFUL SURPRISE Surrounded, in a country where Black & Death Metal rules with lyrics full of agression, blood and demons; Ark opens their own way in the difficult Progressive Metal scene, a genre with bands already established with a solid and strong fan base such as Dream Theater, Symp ... (read more)

Report this review (#109260) | Posted by MadcapLaughs84 | Sunday, January 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ARK - Burn The Sun Ark was a norwegian band consisting of a bunch of guys incredibly skilled at their respective instruments. Fronted by Jørn Landes amazing voice, backed up by Tore Østby's, John Macaluso's, Randy Coven's and Mats Olaussen's impressive work, Ark really is one of my favourite ... (read more)

Report this review (#108971) | Posted by magnus | Friday, January 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I´d just like to say this is really one of the best melodic metal albums I've heard. Jörn Lande excells himself in different styles and the musicians with him are excellent. Great songwriting, power,emotion. Every song is great. Too bad Ark didn't last. The styles can be like Iron Maiden, powe ... (read more)

Report this review (#108871) | Posted by | Thursday, January 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Hmm I don't really see why everybody finds this album a masterpiece of progressive music. Still a good album but apart from some Queensryche influences and a few melodic elements here and there, this is straight heavy metal. The singer's voice is a mix of Ronnie James Dio and Glenn Hughes and ... (read more)

Report this review (#106397) | Posted by zaxx | Sunday, January 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a much superior offering to their self-titled debut album. For a start it is much more assured and cohesive, the songs are better structured and grab you quite firmly from the opener, keeping you hooked until the end. It also delivers on the potential hinted at by that first album. I p ... (read more)

Report this review (#102748) | Posted by scarista | Tuesday, December 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After the beautiful selfnamed debut, this Burn The Sun is probably as magnificient as his predecessor, but start having some little boring moments in the middle of his travel, for example the song Absolute Zero, which I find a little bit useless, and less prog and articulated odd times moments ... (read more)

Report this review (#99453) | Posted by Rosenfield | Saturday, November 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars For me, this album suffered from the "I love it right out of the box" syndrome. As prog goes, usually it is better to have to grow into an album than to like it straight away. (I'll never forget after listensing to Rage Against the Machine for the first time that they would be my favorite band ... (read more)

Report this review (#83534) | Posted by johnobvious | Wednesday, July 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Strange beautiful music. That was my impression when I first listening to ARK's Burn The Sun. Trio Tore Otsby (guitars), John Macaluso (drums), and Jorn Lande (vocals) return with their second album, Burn The Sun. This time, they are accompanied by bassist Randy Coven and keyboardist Mats Olau ... (read more)

Report this review (#79929) | Posted by ydewata | Wednesday, May 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm not sure why I'm not giving this a five star rating, but I guess it just falls short of being a masterpiece. Why? Well, perhaps it's because there is still some growth left to do and some songs do remind me of other bands/songs/musicians. It is quite diverse, with each song having it's own ... (read more)

Report this review (#76515) | Posted by | Thursday, April 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I like this recording... the out there lyrics and the motion of the music. It may not be legendary album in teh end not part of the prog canon, but it is great music. Historical importance is not vital to my rating. The ears ought to be the judge of music and that is why I give this album a 5! 'C ... (read more)

Report this review (#72924) | Posted by Ransom | Friday, March 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ARK is the band that make this effect, unrecognizable but however sublimates... of course, they are virtuosos, and the technique is with returns, but adds to that the most beautiful voice which exists (yes yes!), superb melodies, a new kind has each song... ark is the best thing than I was li ... (read more)

Report this review (#52829) | Posted by DreamT | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excelent Album! I agree, it's one of the best from this genre... which I think to be too limited for Ark. Its music is so diverse that calling t Prog-Metal is... well, fair, but it still is like we are limiting it. Well, the music as i said before is diverse, and much more focused on what they ... (read more)

Report this review (#44734) | Posted by Crimsoner | Monday, August 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4,5 for me!Reading other reviews I learnt that prog-metal like that is really not fashionably nowadays...Maybe 'cause the prog-audience is sick and tired of Dream Theater's exagerations in prolixity?I think so: but the Ark are better stuff: more feelings, more human,with great lyrics, not bou ... (read more)

Report this review (#40250) | Posted by ziofulvio | Monday, July 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the best progressive metal albums ever. All compositions, the production and the musical attitude are breathtaking. Incredible voice, excellent material, guitars that kill (and not showing off), drummer with his completely own style!! ... (read more)

Report this review (#39464) | Posted by | Thursday, July 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ark - Burn The Sun: This album surpasses all the Conception CD's in every way. Every contributor (Musician) on this album is astonishing. Especially the drummer, sinner, and... nevermind... There's all virtuoso's by now. Ark's Burn The Sun CD blew me away initially. It's hard rock and progres ... (read more)

Report this review (#36641) | Posted by The Ryan | Thursday, June 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARK "Burn The Sun"