BURN THE SUN

Ark

Ark Burn The Sun album cover

Buy ARK Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Heal The Waters (6:37)
2. Torn (3:51)
9. Feed The Fire (3:56)
10. I Bleed (4:03)
11. Missing You (9:04)

Bonus track on 2001 CD (Japan):
12. Silent is the Rain (2:46)

Search ARK Burn The Sun lyrics

Search ARK Burn The Sun tabs

- Tore Østby / guitar
- John Macaluso / drums
- Jorn Lande / vocals
- Randy Coven / bass
- Mats Olausson / keyboards

CD Avalon MICP-10236 (Japan, 2001)
CD InsideOut IOMCD 075 (Germany, 2001)
CD Favoured Nations FN21760-2 (2001)
CD NTS 3067792 (France, 2001)
CD FaceFront FF015 (Norway, 2001)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

ARK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARK Burn The Sun Music

Burn the SunBurn the Sun
Favored Nations 2002
Audio CD$8.99 (used)
Build an Ark - Dawn CD (2007) Kindred Spirits US $8.11 [0 bids]
Pink Floyd Wall Re-Built! Mummers, Alessi's Ark, Twinkranes U.K. MOJO cd - RARE! US $9.72 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Fallen Splendor [LP] by Jeff Johnson Ark Records 1986 (New) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Sun Dont Shine In The Hood US $7.50 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Executive Lounge - Big Tyme - 75 Ark Records #328885 US $4.85 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Infectious Grooves sarsippius` ark CD US $7.29 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Time Travel [Digipak] by Alessi's Ark (CD, Sep-2011, Bella Union) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ralfe Band Barricades Ft Alessi's Ark Promo CD Single US $2.03 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Raiders of the lost Ark-1981-Original Soundtrack CD US $27.04 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Delinquent Habits - Boulevard Star - Ark 21 #333141 US $4.85 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Don't Rock the Boat Sink the Fucker - Des Ark New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $23.41 Buy It Now 6h 18m
COCOROSIE - NOAH'S ARK [COCOROSIE] - NEW CD US $10.72 Buy It Now 6h 24m
THE ANIMALS---ARK US $5.00 [0 bids]
Virus by DELTRON 3030 12" promo *UNPLAYED* (DEL THA FUNKEE HOMOSAPIEN) (75 Ark) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Separation [Digipak] by Ark of the Covenant (CD, May-2011, Strike First Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Transluzent Ft Be - Angel (Remix) - ARK - 2004 #125637 US $6.47 Buy It Now 8h 33m
MOJO Pink Floyd The Wall Rebuilt DISC TWO CD NEW Soundcarriers Alessi's Ark US $6.47 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Lee Scratch Perry CD African Roots from the Black Ark Seke Molenga NEW US $8.99 [1 bids]
9h
Vince Molina Granny Grace 7" 45 K-ARK K-1171 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Noaks Ark Nils Lindberg Alice Babs Alf Henrikson Swedish Society US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
ELIZA GILKYSON & THE ARK BAND Rare FOLK 45 Promo RCA Listen US $4.99 [0 bids]
Jeff Johnson Why Should the Heart Not Dance 1988 ARK Records Christian Sealed US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Lee Perry & The Upsetters Return Of Wax LP justice league jllp5003 '75 black ark US $85.00 Buy It Now 10h 28m
SEALED 1984 LP Do'A World Music Ensemble Companions Of The Crimson Coloured Ark US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 31m
Lee Perry & the Upsetters Roast Fish Collie Weed Corn Bread VP black ark rare NM US $64.00 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Ark Of The Convenant - Separation NEW Mini CD US $10.69 Buy It Now 11h 25m
D.A.D. - Dic-NII-Lan-Daft-Erd-Ark -- HardROCK Slipcase-CD-Issue/99 Cent Start US $6.50 [6 bids]
Ark Life The Dream of You & Me CD 2014 US $5.50 Buy It Now 12h 53m
FUNK ARK, The - High Noon - CD US $23.09 Buy It Now 13h 17m
Jeff Johnson : Fallin Spelndor (Ark CD) Private 1986 US $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 25m
LARRY STEEL rare RAMBLIN' MAN 45 Rockabilly Country Garage on K-ARK mp3 hear US $9.99 [0 bids]
Halloween, Raiders of Lost Ark, 13th warrior lot - 3 Rare, oop Soundtrack CDs US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Attraction by Paris Combo (CD, Apr-2002, ARK 21 (USA), US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bible Stories, Volume 1: Noah and the Ark & Story of Joseph NEW SEALED VINYL LP US $39.99 [0 bids]
Ark Life - Dream Of You & Me [CD New] US $12.46 Buy It Now 14h 20m
D-a-d - Dis.neyl.an.daft.erd.ark NEW CD US $23.19 Buy It Now 15h 13m
LP One Accord - A New World - Fayetteville Ark - Solid Rock Records Christian US $7.39 Buy It Now 15h 28m
Nice Nice - One Hit b/w Ark Drum 7" new sealed Warp Records US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Ark, State of the Ark Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 15h 39m
SKYCLAD-JONAH'S ARK sabbat,the clan destined 1993 NOISE PRESS! ORG! US $23.95 Buy It Now 16h 3m
The Animals Ark LP Record Album Classic Rock Near Mint Vinyl Shrink Wrap US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 7m
Lee "scratch" Perry On the Wire Island records Black Ark Studios 1979 US $44.99 Buy It Now 16h 25m
? ark by L'Arc~en~Ciel ? Regular Edition Album w/ obi ? US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 29m
The Thomas Crown Affair [Ark 21] * by Bill Conti (CD, Sep-1999, ARK 21 (USA)) US $5.55 [0 bids]
Ebony Ark - When The City Is Quiet NEW CD US $9.51 Buy It Now 17h 26m
BOB CONRAD - KEEP IT UP / NOAH'S ARK (5267) US $20.00 [0 bids]
D-a-d - Dic.nii.lan.daft.erd.ark (deluxe Edition) NEW 2 x CD US $17.51 Buy It Now 18h 24m
STEWART COPELAND - NOAH'S ARK NEW CD US $16.80 Buy It Now 18h 35m
ALESSIS ARK - SOUL PROPRIETOR (IMPORT) NEW CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 18h 37m
Jeff Johnson ICONS LP USA Ark VG+/M- US $17.49 [0 bids]
The Quick - Noah's Ark - Strictly Rhythm - 1994 #298839 US $6.47 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Ebony Ark - When The City Is Quiet NEW CD US $7.27 Buy It Now 19h 22m
KEITH PENNOCK DELILAH/TRAVEL ON 45 K-ARK TEEN ROCKER US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h
Separation, Ark of the Covenant, Good US $5.93 Buy It Now 20h 3m
DO'A WORLD MUSIC ENSEMBLE Companions Of The Crimson Coloured Ark LP Philo 1984 US $7.95 Buy It Now 20h 35m
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK 24 PAGE READ-ALONG BOOK & TAPE SEALED US $9.00 [0 bids]
D-a-d - Dis.neyl.an.daft.erd.ark NEW LP US $27.70 Buy It Now 21h 34m
OST Raiders of The Lost Ark ~ John Williams/ Japan LP/ OBI Picture Sheet US $23.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Clossey Bros rare country 45rpm single "Heart" b/w Going Down The Road, K-Ark US $5.70 [0 bids]
Peter X Morosky K-Ark If There's A Better Place To Live / Swingin Doors 45rpm US $5.70 [0 bids]
THE ANIMALS ARK LP 808 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark Vinyl LP Record 1981 Soundtrack US $2.99 [0 bids]
TREES Walking Trees 3-CD Deluxe Edition ARK Records ITALY Import NEW US $33.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Of You & Me - Ark Life US $10.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Ark - Perry,Brendan New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $43.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Alessi's Ark The Still Life Promo CD Album 13 Tracks US $3.23 Buy It Now 1 day
ANIMALS ark LP 12 track sleeve has edge wear and sticker tear to front (sp70037) US $8.09 Buy It Now 1 day
The Ark - State of the Ark EU CD Sweden Mint Glam #AL02 US $4.89 Buy It Now 1 day
CHAD STUART JEREMY CLYDE THE ARK LP COLUMBIA 2 EYE LABEL 846 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEAR IT OBSCURE COUNTRY Ronie Barth K-Ark 793 US $7.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Dellali by Cheb Mami (CD, Jul-2001, ARK 21 (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
AKSUMITES: ARK OF THE COVENANT/Covenant Rock: !@$% Charlie Vinyl LP Reissue New! US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sarsippius Ark - Grooves Infectious New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $12.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Ark / Burn the Sun JAPAN+1 Jorn Lande OOP!!!!! *G US $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Max Lasser's Ark - Earthwalk - Promotional LP US $42.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ARK - Voyages (reissue) - LP US $35.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Noah's Musical Ark US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FLAMING YOUTH Ark 2 Lp Orig AUSTRALIA 1969 RARE!! Prog PHIL Collins GENESIS US $149.99 Buy It Now 1 day
rare! on DCC Steve Hoffman mastered JOHN WILLIAMS cd RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LEE "SCRATCH" PERRY Roast Fish Collie Weed Corn LP NEW VINYL Upsetter Black Ark US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Toscanini Inediti V.2 BIZET/DUKAAS/FRANCK/RAVEL/ROUSSEL - Arkadia ARK 11 SEALED US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ARK OF THE COVENANT - SEPARATION (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $10.88 Buy It Now 1 day
LEE PERRY Skaking With The Upsetter: Rare Dubs LP NEW VINYL 180g Scratch Ark US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEAR IT OBSCURE COUNTRY F.J. Bone K-ARK 140 A Cup Of Coffee US $9.99 [0 bids]
Black Ark in Dub - BALP 4000 US $45.00 [0 bids]
DJ Billy Dixon & Dixon Dairy Radio Show -- KDXE - Little Rock, Ark. 1964 US $9.00 [0 bids]
JR. MURVIN Police And Thieves LP NEW VINYL Lee Perry Classic Roots Upsetter Ark US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FLAMING YOUTH Ark 2 Phil Collins pre Genesis Lp US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(EE505) Alessi's Ark, On The Plains - 2011 DJ CD US $3.97 Buy It Now 1 day
(EG106) Alessi's Ark, The Horse EP - DJ CD US $3.97 Buy It Now 1 day
FUNK ARK - HIGH NOON (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $13.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Abiku Red (Spastic Rhythm Tarts) Ark of Bone A Phosphorus Seed 1984 LP VG RARE US $39.39 Buy It Now 1 day
The Leisure Society - Alone Aboard the Ark 2013 U.S. PROMO cd - US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Noah's Ark-1999-Original Movie Soundtrack-26 Track-CD US $18.01 Buy It Now 1 day
All the Way to There by John Berry (Country) (CD, Oct-2001, ARK 21 (USA)) US $5.77 [0 bids]
Bud Landon bud's boogie rockabilly K-ark 959 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Leopard Son by Stewart Copeland (CD, Oct-1996, ARK 21 (USA)) US $3.83 [0 bids]
Gravelands The King promo advance CD 1999 ARK 21 Elvis tribute artist homage US $2.99 [0 bids]
Animals: ARK 1983 I.R.S. SP70037 SEALED US $6.00 [0 bids]
Ark-Eology by Chad & Jeremy (CD, 2008, ELECTRIC P) US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy ARK music online Buy ARK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARK Burn The Sun ratings distribution

ARK Burn The Sun reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars Absolutely fabulous prog-metal (a subgenre I generally don't enjoy), which actually deserves another half star. With traces of Rush and Metallica - and lots of Whitesnake (think "Still of the Night") - Ark shows what a number of bands might have sounded like had they followed progressive paths, including Foreigner (I Bleed, Missing You), GNR (Burn The Sun, Noose), Journey (Resurrection, Waking Hour, Feed the Fire), and even Zep (Absolute Zero). In the process, vocalist Jorn Lande does wonderful, and largely natural, imitations of Lou Gramm, Steve Perry, Axl Rose and David Coverdale (with a little Robert Plant thrown in). / The album starts off with "Heal The Waters," a powerful Rush-style metal-prog composition. Continuing the onslaught is "Torn" (with interesting traces of Marillion), followed by "Burn the Sun," a solid GNR-like song. The quasi-ballad "Resurrection" is not quite as successful. "Absolute Zero" brings the band back in a relentless (but excellent) way, evoking where Zep might have gone had they gone the way of "Kashmir" and other PG-era semi-prog. "Just A Little" has some amazing guitar work, beginning in a "spanish" flavor and then moving into a more classic "prog" sound; if memory serves, this was actually something of a "hit" for the band. The remainder of the album ranges from good to very good, with "Missing You" having a distinct Floydian flavor to it. The lyrics center primarily on an environmental theme, with both science and "religion" mixed in: all are thoughtful, some "deeper" than others. Interestingly, the drummer is included in the writing credits for all compositions - deservedly so, given that he is among the best, most creative metal drummers I've ever heard. / Overall, I found this album highly listenable, and strangely compelling. To quote Peter Rideout from a different review: this is prog-rock with the accent on "rock" - and boy can these guys rock!

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#25376) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 12, 2004

Review by Greger
5 stars A Norwegian Prog Metal super-group isn't anything you hear about every day. ARK is the exception although all the members aren't from Norway. The line- up is really amazing: Jorn Lande (COMPANY OF SNAKES), Tore Østby (CONCEPTION), John Macaluso (TNT), Randy Coven (Steve VAI, Steve MORSE) and Mats Olausson (Yngwie MALMSTEEN). They released their self-titled debut album in 1999, and "Burn The Sun" is the newly released follow up.

The vocalist Jorn Lande has a powerful voice with great diversity. He can sing like David COVERDALE, Ronnie James DIO, Peter GABRIEL, Ian GILLAN, Freddie MERCURY, Robert PLANT, STING, or anyone else. Tore Østby is a real guitar virtuoso and Mats Olausson doesn't need any further presentation.

I can't come up with anything negative to say about this album, because it has everything a good Prog Metal album should have: good compositions, complex arrangements, outstanding musicians, intricate rhythmical patterns and strong melodies. I don't think I have been that surprised by a band in this genre since I first heard A.C.T.'s debut album "Today's Report" in 1999. ARK has actually created their own style by blending Prog Metal, Progressive Rock, Neo-Classic Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. I know it doesn't sound that unique, but you have to hear it to understand what I mean. The closest comparison that comes to mind is a mix between A.C.T., MAGNITUDE 9, QUEEN and THRESHOLD.

This is one of the best albums released in the new millennium. It's creative, diverse, innovative and intelligent music, and it deserves to be a modern classic. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#25380) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 03, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars Deep Purple plays Progressive Metal?

Yep! This is how I can describe this album in brief. Why? The music is completely progressive metal with many abrupt changes in style and tempo but the vocal quality and singing style is very similar with David Coverdale of Deep Purple. Can you imagine that? Hope you can. If not, just buy the CD - you would never regret it. For me personally, I knew the band about two years ago from information exchage with my power metal friends who love bands like Helloween, Kamelot, Blind Guardian or Angra, etc. I did not pay enough attention on it but when I listened to it - wow! what a great music offering with varied riffs and styles. So I did purchase the CD sometime this year during 10th PROGNITE event in Jakarta. Two things triggered me to write my thoughts about this album. Couple of weeks ago I got a Norway's band MAGIC PIE debut album (which I wrote a long review in this site). Two weeks ago, in prog program from the Jakarta Alternative Station (radio) Magic Pie was aired with its opening track "Change" (20 minutes) and at the same time the radio aired also "Missing You" from Ark "Burn The Sun" album. What a coincidence! Both bands are coming out from Norway and both are excellent bands. So I am being cjhallenged to write my views about ARK "Burn The Sun" .

I am not going to review on track by track basis but for sure if you are not into a progressive metal music, I would recommend you to go straight to the 11th track "Missing You". Why? This track is the most accessible one to wider range of ears because it's like a melodic ballad with a sort of combination between neo prog with symphonic prog music with orchestra at background. Some people call this kind of track is "ear candy" because you can digest easily. The other ten tracks are completely progressive metal vein with rich composition and abrupt tempo changes, heavy riffs and powerful vocal. The album opener "Heal The Waters" (6:37) starts energetically with drum solo followed with heavy music. The other great tracks are "Resurrection" (5:31) which has great melody and nice guitar riffs that bring us to the 80s hard rock music. The style changes beautifully in the middle of the track. Sixth track "Just A Little" (4:36) is another great track especially with the use of spanish acoustic guitar played in fast speed - it reminds me to Germany's guitarist Bern Streidl. This song is so powerful.

It's a highly recommended progressive metal album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Progressively yours, GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#48149) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 24, 2005

Review by el böthy
2 stars Before I start my review let me just clarify this one thing; if you are into Power metal add two stars, if not trust my judgment.

ARK was somewhat of a super metal group that lived for a small period of time in the late ´90 and part of the eraly ´00, where we have five of the most virtuoso players the genre can deliver... having said that I must make a second clarification: this might be virtuoso playing... but there are no "virtuoso compositions", sad but true, the songwriting in this album is nothing worth mentioning, not at least in a genre that has monsters of composition like Michael Akerfeld and Daniel Gildenlöw amongs others. Yes, sure they can play, boy can they play!, but that can get you only so far, at the end of the day I WANT GOOD COMPOSITIONS. But, now, I´m being too drastic, I have said earlier that if we take this from a Power metal perspective, it´s a rather good album, so there must be something good here, right? But I am not a Power metal fan, and this is not a Power metal site, it´s a Prog site, and keeping that in mind I don´t see why this album should be so highly rated.

Guitarist Tore Østby has quite a personal touch and way of playing, which is always welcomed, specially in a genre like Power metal, where innovation is not frequently the most used word. But... yet... still... I don´t like his playing that much and I feel like he has no real composition skills. But hey, that´s just me! Singer Jorn Lande is one talented [%*!#]er, I know many metal singers would kill for his tone and technique, but he is not equality talented when it comes to the writing process. Songs like Missing you and Feed the fire confirm that... that´s down right Whitesnake... in their bad days. Yet, lyrics aside, great voice, although I like him more in the first Beyond Twilight album, as I think a heavier band fits his voice better. Drummer John Macaluso is probalby my favorite musician here, an underrated drummer that has a great way of playing where he combines power with texture and originality. The bassist and keyboarder are also very good, but the band are this three gentlemen.

So, great musicianship and talent... shouldn´t this be one of the top metal bands ever? Well, I guess this just goes to show that virtuosism does not equal great music. But, still, keep in mind that if you are into this kind of music you will find something to love here for sure.

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#141073) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2007

3 stars There's so much that I like about this record, but there are a couple of things about it that keep me from giving it 4 stars.The first and most important are the David Coverdale-like vocals. I never was a fan of his singing or his commercial sounding music. That is hard for me to get past. The other is the lyrics, and while they may be easier to ignore they are in some cases really bad. Just read them, it will be obvious which songs i'm talking about. Having said all that, these guys create some pretty amazing music at times.

"Heal The Waters" contrasts the heavy and lighter sections (reserved vocals and synths) quite well. Good song. "Torn" opens with some atmosphere. I like it. It kicks into gear a minute in. Contrast continues. Some excellent bass in this one. Another good one. "Burn The Sun" opens with some good guitar before turning dark and heavier with vocals. Female spoken words 3 minutes in. Some fantastic guitar follows. "Resurrection" opens with some very good drumming. Cool song. I like the mellow sections. A wall of sound 5 minutes in. Nice.

"Absolute Zero" is my absolute favourite on the album. The vocals have a different tone to them. The drumming is so intricate like Bruford. It takes off 1 1/2 minutes in. Awesome bass ! Back to opening sounds as contrast continues. I just really like the style of music here which is so different from the rest of the album. "Just A Little" opens with what sounds like Spanish guitar melodies. I don't like the vocals at all or the song. Too poppy for my tastes, in fact it sounds like that guy who calls himself Seal. We do get some good electric guitar later but it's way too late to save this mess. "Waking Hour" features percussion and synths. It becomes more powerful after a minute. Contrast continues. "Noose" is quite heavy. Great guitar solo before 1 1/2 minutes. "Feed The Fire" is a good uptempo track with brutal lyrics though. "I Bleed" has the focus squarely on the vocals. Love the guitar solo after 2 1/2 minutes that goes on and on. "Missing You" is the 9 minute closer. I can't really get into this one either although it it's ok.

Good, but not even close to being great in my opinion.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#177175) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 17, 2008

Review by Negoba
4 stars Could Have Been So Beautiful

Ark was a prog metal supergroup that produced an extremely promising, though uneven, debut album. For their second album, singer extraordinaire Jorn Lande, multi-faceted prog guitarist Tore Ostby, and drummer John Macaluso added Randy Coven, who was a shred bass aficionado in the guitar mags, and keyboardist Mats Olaussen, who had played with Yngwie Malmsteen. All the pieces were set for a prog metal masterpiece. Unfortunately, Lande led the band further down the melodic power metal path, and the progressiveness is actually less here than on their debut.

That said, this is a monster of a power metal album. The guitars are heavy, the riffs driving, and the chops of the players are phenomenal and on display. The bass deserves special regard here. Randy Coven plays like a demon on this album, let loose like he'd probably never been on record before. Along with providing active, jazz-infused accompaniment, he also gets some unbelievable solo spots, including a percussive face off with Lande doing traditional Indian vocal percussion! Lande is also a force of nature. While other vocalists may have higher ranges in terms of register, there is virtually no metal singer with a broader range of timbre, with different aspects of their voice brought to the music. On this album, Jorn's own identity is consolidating from his myriad influences, and is leagues above the majority of prog metal singers. And while he pulls off the ballads and straight rockers well, they are less interesting for (at least this) prog listener's ears.

My biggest disappointment is that guitarist Ostby doesn't get the chance to truly branch out. His parts are rocking and extremely well constructed, but his flamenco flavored acoustic chops are less prominent here than on the debut. As a result some of the exotic feel of the music is lost. (The flamenco IS still on full display on the song Just a Little, which evokes the Seal song Crazy a little too closely). Tore's metal soloing is typically blistering, and admittedly his metal rhythm parts are just friggin' amazing. I suspect the shift in the balance of influence from equal parts Lande and Ostby to Lande as decided frontman was part of the breakup of the band. (This is painfully clear if you look at the promo pictures from the two albums.)

There ARE a fair number of proggy elements in this album. Intermittent thematic sci-fi references and off time rhythms punctuate the album. Heavy syncopation, jazzy bass, and exotic tonality are frequent visitors. There's just not enough. The little tastes we get are delicious, but this could have been a true feast.

For this review, I came back to listen after checking out some lesser known prog metal outfits. This album is so much better than those that my rating is going to increase as a result. Also, I have not listened to the debut album in a few weeks and I'm better able to judge this one on its own merits. It holds up remarkably well. It's hard to give this album the same rating as the debut, but within the reference point of prog metal, it is appropriate. Ark represents a fairly unique niche in an overpopulated genre, and this album is indeed excellent.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#210682) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars Although signed to a mostly progressive label, this unfortunately is not the much-loved and much-missed Ark who had dreams of Mr. Jones. Instead, this is the second album of a band that started life in Norway. Drummer John Macaluso and guitarist Tore Østby eventually found the right vocalist in Jorn Lande (Company Of Snakes) and after the success of their debut album in 1999 were then joined by Randy Coven (Steve Vai, Steve Morse) and Mats Olausson (Yngwie Malmsteen).

The results of this unions can be heard on this their second album. What is apparent straight away is that they do not feel restricted to any musical style as hard rocking "Heal The Waters" is followed by "Torn" which at times sounds as if it has been influenced by Japan. There is no surprise that the music is for the most part blasted out, or that it is very fine given the musicians, but the surprise is that given that this is a relatively unknown band the song writing is so strong. All of the songs are written by the original trio and the way that none sound like each other yet manages to maintain a band identity is a credit to them. An interesting album that deserves further investigation.

Originally appeared in Feedback #62, May 01

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#968505) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 01, 2013

4 stars Ark - a sadly short-lived and obscure Norwegian prog metal/hard rock band - is best perhaps introduced as one of the first projects of hard rock vocalist extraordinaire Jorn Lande (and featuring some other session musicians reappearing in countless other projects). Songs on their second album ar ... (read more)

Report this review (#1063985) | Posted by Progrussia | Sunday, October 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A spiritual person, I had a bit of a reservation to the album title "Burn the Sun". Some may find the title clever, in my world it comes across as immature and disrespectful. Not a good start. Still, a Norwegian super group held some promise and I obtained both of ARK's albums - sight unseen - ... (read more)

Report this review (#851776) | Posted by BORA | Tuesday, November 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Perfect, Excellent, A true MASTERPIECE!!! ''Burn the Sun'' released in 2001, is considered to be one of the most wonderful Progressive albums for the 00's...Releasing a notably worthy debut album (Ark), the band now presents a true masterpiece. The production is far and far better and clearer t ... (read more)

Report this review (#201870) | Posted by FatalV | Friday, February 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am ordered it and I am listening to it for the first as a whole album now. Man!! a 5 star CD!! I was moved to get the whole album because last year I downloaded one of the best tune from the album ( Resurrection) man what a killer tune so I finally got to hear the whole album and I am lovin ... (read more)

Report this review (#174997) | Posted by darksideof | Monday, June 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is pretty good. I ordered this along with Scarsick (the new Pain of Salvation album). Scarsick sucked but luckly this album made me feel better about my purchase. Some of the songs took a while to grow on me, like "Absolute Zero" and "Just a little" for example. The other songs hooked ... (read more)

Report this review (#114426) | Posted by Delusional900 | Wednesday, March 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A GRATEFUL SURPRISE Surrounded, in a country where Black & Death Metal rules with lyrics full of agression, blood and demons; Ark opens their own way in the difficult Progressive Metal scene, a genre with bands already established with a solid and strong fan base such as Dream Theater, Symp ... (read more)

Report this review (#109260) | Posted by MadcapLaughs84 | Sunday, January 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ARK - Burn The Sun Ark was a norwegian band consisting of a bunch of guys incredibly skilled at their respective instruments. Fronted by Jørn Landes amazing voice, backed up by Tore Østby's, John Macaluso's, Randy Coven's and Mats Olaussen's impressive work, Ark really is one of my favourite ... (read more)

Report this review (#108971) | Posted by magnus | Friday, January 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I´d just like to say this is really one of the best melodic metal albums I've heard. Jörn Lande excells himself in different styles and the musicians with him are excellent. Great songwriting, power,emotion. Every song is great. Too bad Ark didn't last. The styles can be like Iron Maiden, powe ... (read more)

Report this review (#108871) | Posted by | Thursday, January 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Hmm I don't really see why everybody finds this album a masterpiece of progressive music. Still a good album but apart from some Queensryche influences and a few melodic elements here and there, this is straight heavy metal. The singer's voice is a mix of Ronnie James Dio and Glenn Hughes and ... (read more)

Report this review (#106397) | Posted by zaxx | Sunday, January 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a much superior offering to their self-titled debut album. For a start it is much more assured and cohesive, the songs are better structured and grab you quite firmly from the opener, keeping you hooked until the end. It also delivers on the potential hinted at by that first album. I p ... (read more)

Report this review (#102748) | Posted by scarista | Tuesday, December 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After the beautiful selfnamed debut, this Burn The Sun is probably as magnificient as his predecessor, but start having some little boring moments in the middle of his travel, for example the song Absolute Zero, which I find a little bit useless, and less prog and articulated odd times moments ... (read more)

Report this review (#99453) | Posted by Rosenfield | Saturday, November 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars For me, this album suffered from the "I love it right out of the box" syndrome. As prog goes, usually it is better to have to grow into an album than to like it straight away. (I'll never forget after listensing to Rage Against the Machine for the first time that they would be my favorite band ... (read more)

Report this review (#83534) | Posted by johnobvious | Wednesday, July 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Strange beautiful music. That was my impression when I first listening to ARK's Burn The Sun. Trio Tore Otsby (guitars), John Macaluso (drums), and Jorn Lande (vocals) return with their second album, Burn The Sun. This time, they are accompanied by bassist Randy Coven and keyboardist Mats Olau ... (read more)

Report this review (#79929) | Posted by ydewata | Wednesday, May 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm not sure why I'm not giving this a five star rating, but I guess it just falls short of being a masterpiece. Why? Well, perhaps it's because there is still some growth left to do and some songs do remind me of other bands/songs/musicians. It is quite diverse, with each song having it's own ... (read more)

Report this review (#76515) | Posted by | Thursday, April 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I like this recording... the out there lyrics and the motion of the music. It may not be legendary album in teh end not part of the prog canon, but it is great music. Historical importance is not vital to my rating. The ears ought to be the judge of music and that is why I give this album a 5! 'C ... (read more)

Report this review (#72924) | Posted by Ransom | Friday, March 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ARK is the band that make this effect, unrecognizable but however sublimates... of course, they are virtuosos, and the technique is with returns, but adds to that the most beautiful voice which exists (yes yes!), superb melodies, a new kind has each song... ark is the best thing than I was li ... (read more)

Report this review (#52829) | Posted by DreamT | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excelent Album! I agree, it's one of the best from this genre... which I think to be too limited for Ark. Its music is so diverse that calling t Prog-Metal is... well, fair, but it still is like we are limiting it. Well, the music as i said before is diverse, and much more focused on what they ... (read more)

Report this review (#44734) | Posted by Crimsoner | Monday, August 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4,5 for me!Reading other reviews I learnt that prog-metal like that is really not fashionably nowadays...Maybe 'cause the prog-audience is sick and tired of Dream Theater's exagerations in prolixity?I think so: but the Ark are better stuff: more feelings, more human,with great lyrics, not bou ... (read more)

Report this review (#40250) | Posted by ziofulvio | Monday, July 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the best progressive metal albums ever. All compositions, the production and the musical attitude are breathtaking. Incredible voice, excellent material, guitars that kill (and not showing off), drummer with his completely own style!! ... (read more)

Report this review (#39464) | Posted by | Thursday, July 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ark - Burn The Sun: This album surpasses all the Conception CD's in every way. Every contributor (Musician) on this album is astonishing. Especially the drummer, sinner, and... nevermind... There's all virtuoso's by now. Ark's Burn The Sun CD blew me away initially. It's hard rock and progres ... (read more)

Report this review (#36641) | Posted by The Ryan | Thursday, June 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARK "Burn The Sun"