SPEAK

Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Speak (12:19)
2. And I Awaken (11:31)
3. Hide and Seek (16:30)
4. The Face Behind the Eyes (13:35)
5. Go or Go Ahead (6:43)

- Laura Meade / backing vocals
- Max Moston / violin
- Keren Ann / vocals
- Steve Hogarth / vocals

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

I AND THOU MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy I AND THOU Speak Music

More places to buy I AND THOU music online Buy I AND THOU & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for I AND THOU DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

I AND THOU Speak ratings distribution

I AND THOU Speak reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars by John Galgano (IZZ), Steve Hogarth (Marillion), Matt Johnson (Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright) and Jack Petruzzelli (the Fab Faux, Patti Smith) among others. Even Annie Haslam makes an appearance, although to be honest this time it is not for her incredible vocals but as artist as she provided the cover! Just five songs, but still an hour of playing time, this is an incredibly reflective album and one that is full of class and power. There are obviously many prog influences, but if opener "Speak" doesn't sound as if it belongs firmly on 'Trick of a Tail' then nothing does. I've never heard a song that so epitomizes just what a group created on one album ? the only dissent would be if you wanted to discuss if in fact it should have been on 'Wind and Wuthering'; he has really nailed a very short period of Genesis.

Then turn to the next song "..And I Awaken" and lo and behold if it doesn't start off like one of Neal Morse's early solo albums where he was reflective as opposed to bombastic. By this time I was well and truly hooked and instead of trying to spot the reference I was instead just glorying in the sheer delight of what is an incredibly layered and polished progressive rock album. The album screams 'class' in capital letters ten feet high and this really is one masterpiece after another, always firmly anchored in the keyboards (often piano) of Jason who has a wonderfully delicate and emotive touch.

Their website doesn't contain much, in fact it is only details of how to order the album, but all progheads need to try and hear this as it is a delight from start to finish. www.i-and-thou.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#862005) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 19, 2012

Review by Warthur
4 stars Jason Hart gets to live the prog fan's dream with his I and Thou project, which sees him collaborating with a wide range of prog veterans on this set of lavish extended neo-prog instrumentals. Even the cover art brings star power to bear, painted by none other than Annie Haslam of Renaissance. The musical style is reflective and tends towards the pastoral styles of classic-period Genesis - the comparisons others have made to the Wind and Wuthering or Trick of the Tail era are apt - and for the most part the focus is very much on long, extended instrumental passages dominated by Hart's keyboards. (The only song on here which doesn't qualify as a full-on mini epic is the comparatively brief Go or Go Ahead, which includes a remarkable guest performance by Marillion's Steve Hogarth). Delightful stuff.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#916594) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review by lazland
4 stars A project by Jason Hart, a US musician who has worked with Marillion, I got this CD shortly after its release at the end of 2012.

There are a host of guest stars on this cd, and the last track, Go Or Go Ahead, features lead vocals by Steve Hogarth himself. This is my favourite track here (I am a sucker for H!), but I should here draw attention to the vocals on the longest track on the album, Hide And Seek, mainly by Hart, but featuring Keren Ann, who, with Hart, draws in the light symphonic mood perfectly.The two of them sound very good together when they harmonise. It is a deeply satisfying love song.

Perhaps the most famous guest is one who doesn't actually perform, but is responsible for the gorgeous artwork on the cd sleeve, one Annie Haslem.

There are only five tracks on here but we still have a full length CD. Opener Speak sets the tone perfectly, a gorgeous slab of Genesis influenced music twelve minutes plus in length. It is, btw, Genesis at their most reflective and pastoral. Think of the quieter passages in One For The Vine, and you will be about spot on. In fact, the similarities are so close, I imagine some might accuse Hart of being a retro artist, and nothing else, but that wouldn't be an altogether fair criticism.

The album never really moves beyond second gear, and is deeply insular and reflective. That is not, though, to take away from the fact that it is very well played, and is just about perfect listening for those moments in life when you want it quiet and introspective.

This album is still available from those nice chaps at Prog Rock Records, Wales, via Amazon, and is strongly recommended for those of you who like it quiet and thoughtful.

Four stars for this. Really rather good, and a fine addition to any prog collection.

Send comments to lazland (BETA) | Report this review (#1113590) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 13, 2014

5 stars I'm currently living by the beach in New Jersey (bay side, facing west.. amazing sunsets), and everyday after work this summer I would visit the beach, get my relax on, and listen to this album at least once each visit with my beautiful wife though a mini speaker on our mp3 player. This album is ... (read more)

Report this review (#1086547) | Posted by Philodendron | Friday, December 06, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I and THOU's debut album, Speak is a complete masterpiece in my opinion. Jason Hart, the lead singer, pianist, and composer on this beautiful album has had much experience in music - touring with such bands as Renaissance. So many great musicians are on this album. But the best part is that Ja ... (read more)

Report this review (#928182) | Posted by KennyIngram | Monday, March 11, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is essential progressive rock that all fans of the genre will appreciate. Fans of Genesis, Pink Floyd, Renaissance, Headspace, Yes, Marillion, Radiohead and Porcupine Tree will all find something to cherish here. Essentially 'I And Thou' is a solo project led by Jason Hart, with gu ... (read more)

Report this review (#869433) | Posted by Distant Planet | Saturday, December 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, I certainly didn't see this album coming! I first caught a listen to this album on progstreaming.com and was absolutely and completely blown away by its beauty and melodic power. It is undeniably heavily influenced by Genesis of the 1975-78 era with the many keyboard flourishes of Tony Banks e ... (read more)

Report this review (#861854) | Posted by Richens | Sunday, November 18, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Upon first listen I thought this piano-based, soft-voiced collection of four long songs a bit too syrupy, and, because of its being piano-based, a bit too simple. I am so glad I continued to give this one more listens (thanks once again to progstreaming.com!) because it is not the music of a simplet ... (read more)

Report this review (#843847) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, October 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of I AND THOU "Speak"