A SCEPTIC'S UNIVERSE

2. Excessit (6:13)
3. Moving Spirit (3:44)
4. Occam's Razor (1:32)
5. Insect (5:54)
6. Cloud Constructor (5:25)
7. Conjuring Collapse (6:30)
8. Adaptability (4:34)
9. Fountainhead (6:30)

Bonus track on Avalon/Marquee release (1999 Japan/Asia):
10. Prelude To Ruin (7:32)

Search SPIRAL ARCHITECT A Sceptic's Universe lyrics

Search SPIRAL ARCHITECT A Sceptic's Universe tabs

- Oyvind Haegeland / vocals
- Steinar Gunderson / guitar
- Kaj Gornitzka / guitar
- Lars K. Norberg / bass
- Asgeir Mickelson / drums

CD Avalon/Marquee (1999 Japan/Asia)
CD Sensory/Laser's Edge (2000 Europe/USA)

and to Joolz for the last updates

SPIRAL ARCHITECT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPIRAL ARCHITECT A Sceptic's Universe Music

Sceptic's UniverseSceptic's Universe
Sensory Records 2000

More places to buy SPIRAL ARCHITECT music online Buy SPIRAL ARCHITECT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPIRAL ARCHITECT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPIRAL ARCHITECT A Sceptic's Universe ratings distribution

SPIRAL ARCHITECT A Sceptic's Universe reviews

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars A leader in the field of technical progressive metal established itself on this album. But what exactly is the purpose of all of this? I think, these guys can play, no doubt about that, but what is the purpose to do what they do, other than to be labeled perhaps the most technical band in the world?

I think of this band, and this album, like I think of many of the "top guitar players" today. Like your Michael Angelo's and George Bellas's. Yea, sure, they've got a lot of talent, and I give them major kudos for the work they've spent mastering their instrument.

Unfortunately for many of these players, they haven't mastered music, which is what I am trying to judge.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#82994) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 07, 2006

Review by The T
2 stars (Between 1 and 5 stars really)

Yes, I don't have any idea what rating to give to this album by ultra-technical prog- metal band Spiral Architect. I don't have a clue because there's two completely different point of views from which you can judge this record, both of them valid, yet completely opposite and that's what I will try to decide in this review: is it a 0, is it a 5??

Pro-5 arguments:

- In this album you'll probably hear to some of THE FINEST technical playing in the prog- metal realm... every musician here plays at the highest level of profficiency with his instrument: the drummer is an octopuss, the guitar players have like 7 fingers in each hand, the bass player has fingers made off rubber....amazing...

- how do we know the players are so good? Because they SHOW IT. If there ever was a showing-off album, this is it. Every song has like 30000 notes (more than a hundred per square measure), the guitar lines are absolutely high-flying, 20 scales-per-second wonder...the bass lines are so fast you will rarely catch them... the drums: impossible, so many rhythm changes, so many different patterns, great hi-hat use ala fates Warning, only more difficult, thrilling fills....

- not only there's speed: there are so many riff changes, so many odd time signature sections, so complex structures in the songs....

-also, we have quite a few (really A FEW) moments of melody here... the middle, acoustic section in Insect being one.... one....now, this leads me to the other side of the river....

Pro-0 arguments:

- let's start with what I was saying: there are a few moments of melody... A FEW... TOO FEW.... let's tell the truth: there's almost NO melody in this album... not one I can remember at least....it's pure madness...

- pure madness...yes... I said this is a showing-of record...but showing-off for the sake of showing-off? At times it seems so: there;s so many notes per second, so many rhythm changes that it's hard, if not impossible, to keep track of the songs....songs... then,

- ...SONGS. Where are the songs? Where? With no coherent structures, no choruses, no discernible solos (everything sounds like a giant, whole-band solo) I just can't tell one track from the other... Again, maybe Insect is the highlight, if only for the acoustic part...

- The singer is not up to par with the rest of the crew: if all others can play so technically complex music, the singer should be able to sing like a master of the vocals...but not, he's only a slightly better Fates-Warning-style of singer...that means a screaming, every-verse-the-same kind of singer....awful. This one is better than FW's Alder, but just a bit...

- It's technical...but: is playing 3000 notes per second really the mark of a good musician? I would say a rotund, gigantic NO: playing the most notes per second does not make you a great musician, playing the RIGHT notes is actually better.... and CHOOSING the right notes to play is better still.....

-In the end, there's not much MUSIC.

Now don't get me wrong: this is better than bands like Cynic (the founder of this style).... it's better than bands like Zero Hour because if that band tried to impress you but didn't do it, at least this norwish guys really DO impress. But it's the musical side that is lacking....

This band, with a more centered focus in MUSIC, with the help of some tranquilizers if needed, could be really great. They have it in their fingers...now if they only had it in their minds....

Final verdict:

I CANNOT give this band just 1 star: it's impossible, it would be so unfair to such talented musicians....

I CANNOT give such a melody-killing-monstruosity a 5. Man, we're not here for the noise!

So, at the end, I still don't have an idea. What rating definition suits the best?

Essential, a masterpiece? NOT. It's not essential, much less a masterpiece Poor? NOT. Try find anyone that says this kind of playing is poor...they're crazy. Excellent addition to your collection? NOT. I mean, there are better things to buy first. Good, not essential? NOT. I mean, It's just difficult to call melody-less music Good. Collectors/fans only? Now this is the one! If you want every piece of prog-rock around, every prog-metal album you can find....if you collect rare music, you can't not have this one.

But let's add half an star for...I still don't know.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#97560) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Review by UMUR
5 stars A Scepticīs Universe as a classic tech/prog metal album and in my eyes a masterpiece. If you like bands like Atheist, Cynic, Watchtower and Spastic Ink you will probably like this too.

Spiral Architect donīt have death metal vocals like Atheist and Cynic though, so there is a big difference there. The vocal melodies are indeed very beautiful on this album and rather special too. It seems to me that it should be impossible to put vocals to music this technical, but Oyvind Haegeland does a really fine job doing just that. The vocal melodies and his voice sometimes reminds me of early Fates Warning ( first singer) and Buddy Lackey from Psychotic Waltz.

The music is as i mentioned very technical and there a literally hundreds of small riffs in every song. Isnīt this confusing ? You might ask. And yes to start with it is very confusing and not very accessible, but after a lot of spins this album reveals itīs secrets. The riffs become memorable and especially the beautiful vocal lines binds the songs together. I find this much more accessible that for instance Watchtower or Spastic Ink even though they are in the same catagory of insanely technical metal.

My favorite songs are: Excessit, Insect and Fountainhead. If anyone tells you that they canīt differentiate between the songs itīs because they havenīt listened enough ( and many will say this).

I will rank this as a masterpiece of progressive music as Iīm having a hard time seeing how anyone can top this in this sub-genre. This one belongs in the hall of Fame with: Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, Cynic - Focus, Watchtower - Control and Resistance.

MASTERPIECE

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#149530) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2007

Review by Atavachron
4 stars Monstrous, absolutely terrific album from one of the best Progmetal units around, and Spiral Architect have an accessibility through the Dickinsonian vocals of Oyvind Haegeland without ever forsaking their devotion to the rock progressive. Unlike much PM, Lars Norberg's bass is in the higher range and unexpectedly slaps you in the face, while Steinar Gundersen and Kaj Gornitzka's guitars spew completely reliable riffage throughout, reminiscent of Opeth's counter-riffing genius. Haegeland's keyboards are also well-represented as a background color and harmonizer. Influences seem to come from everywhere; Fates Warning, Maiden, Rush, a touch of Priest, but nothing too discernable... just killer sh*t, bro-ham. The band wastes little time-- 'Spinning', very Fusion 'Excessist' with challenging time shifts and variations, and slightly pop 'Moving Spirit'. More jazz flavor for 'Insect', very prog 'Cloud Constructor' opens on a minimal line but turns apocalyptic with great synth/guitar parts, wild harmonies and legions of Christian soldiers, and the fabulous math-metal of 'Fountainhead'.

Pay no mind to the critical whining this CD often attracts. If you're in the market for Tech-metal with some sentiment and melody among the battlements, I don't foresee much disappointment. Aces.

Send comments to Atavachron (BETA) | Report this review (#171771) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Ok,here we have the most classic example of a love or hate band...Most of the reviewers have rated this album with 5 or 2 stars...My opinion is that the truth always lies somewhere in the middle...SPIRAL ARCHITECT play extra technical prog/jazz metal...and the first influence that comes to my mind is PSYCHOTIC WALTZ at their most technical moments...This exact thought is also supported by the vocals of Oyvind Haegeland who must be a fan of the main vocalist of PSYCHOTIC WALTZ, Buddy Lackey...Of course such bands is almost impossible not to be influenced by the legendary WATCHTOWER which was the first band to play and sound as a jazz metal band...A more technical side of early SIEGES EVEN also come to mind while listening to this disc...

...And it is reasonable that many progheads don't like that kind of music...because what is the whole point of music? In my opinion music -and especially progressive rock which is the one we have chosen- must create feelings and emotions to the demanding listener...And this is not the album to start with if you want feelings,melodies and emotions...By that sense no album of that genre could be considerd as a masterpiece and that is mostly true...On the other hand this is not a disc to simply drop in the ban...These talented musicians have created a music piece where they push their skills and creativity to the upper limits and that's something that can't be passed by...Sure,there are no melodies but after all they have composed songs that anyone can listen to,it's not simply a matter of complexity and showing skills...

I think a 3 star rating is the appropiriate one...Not a masterpice for sure, but an excellent piece for those who like technique,complexity and want to learn something more about the human music skills...Highly recommended for fans of PSYCHOTIC WALTZ and WATCHTOWER, recommended also for prog metal fans in general and some jazz/fusion fans too...Anyone who's in love with the 70's prog rock sound should simply pass by...

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#172875) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 02, 2008

Review by ProgBagel
3 stars Spiral Architect - 'A Sceptic's Universe' 3.5 stars

A technical monstrosity.

So far, out of the all music I have ever heard in my life, this is probably the most technical. Each member of this band is certainly a master of their craft but things go a little overboard with the technicality. There is a constant change of time signatures, tempo's and the like, but sometimes it just gets questionable as why too much.

The best performance by far is the bass work or Lars Norberg. Any fan of the instrument will surely appreciate his work. The bass playing sounds like an improvisation, and the listener can be sure to notice it because he is very loud in the mix, which would make a lot of sense due to his stand out product. Even though the musicians that play on the album are as proficient as can get, the bass playing of Lars Norberg still stands out.

What did not stand out were the melodies. I feel that sometimes they lack the sensibility of playing along the same lines and they let things go out of whack, a result of the technicality just going a bit too far for technical sake. The singer, Oyvind Haegeland, is reminiscent of Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson, except being able to obtain a higher pitch in his voice. Much like the instruments, there is only so much of his voice one can take as well.

This release is something that a technical metal fan would love to the fullest. An opposing player to the genre will find nothing but unhappiness. I tend to think that this is a great album, but the instruments start growing apart from each other so much that it becomes too much for the ear. I think Behold.the Arctopus can do the opposite of this. Go crazy and retaining the melodies is what they can achieve with ease. Sadly, this band does not. I would recommend Twisted into Form, co-created by the guitarist from this band, if you indeed loved this release.

Send comments to ProgBagel (BETA) | Report this review (#172973) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2008

4 stars This is one of those reviews I coudn't wait to write because i'm so excited about this album. I was really surprised to see how low this was rated but my faith was restored when I saw UMUR's 5 star review. He's the Tech / Metal expert on this site as far as i'm concerned. Anyway the vocals on this album are like a cross between Arch and Lackey (Graves) while the music also reminded me more of FATES WARNING and PSYCHOTIC WALTZ than anyone else. That complex precision of the latter and the grinding guitars and melody from the former. In the liner notes they thank the great Ron Jarzombek and Sean Malone among others. The latter also guests on one track with his Stick. Man Norway has given us so many amazing bands but this one might be at the top of the heap.

"Spinning" is such an impressive opener. So technical and complex. The vocals come in quickly and check out the drumming ! Killer bass 2 minutes in followed by some blistering guitar. A great intense section follows to end it. "Excessit" is intricate with more amazing bass as those grinding guitars come in. I like when it settles a minute in then the grinding guitars return again. Great bass ! I'll be saying that a lot in this review. Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes ! "Moving Spirit" opens with vocals and crisp drumming as the guitars comes in. Some incredible guitar before 2 minutes. Great tune. "Occam's Razor" is a 1 1/2 minute instrumental. Some atmosphere early then Malone come in late with his Stick.

"Insect" is complex yet melodic early. Check out the bass ! Vocals come in and then it gets heavier as it slows down some. A ripping guitar solo before 2 1/2 minutes. A thunderous soundscape before 5 minutes. "Cloud Constructor" has such a good bass / drum intro then it kicks in with a powerful yet slower soundscape with vocals. A calm before 3 1/2 minutes. This is great ! It kicks back in a minute later. So impressive ! "Conjuring Collapse" opens with some nice drumming as the guitar comes grinding in joined by bass. Killer track. The vocal melodies 5 minutes in recall Arch. Great ending too. "Adaptability" is heavy with some outstanding bass as grinding guitars come and go. Riffs 2 minutes in as it settles down and the vocals are almost spoken. It kicks back in with power as the guitar lights it up. "Fountainhead" is the closing track and my favourite. Just an awesome sound before a minute. This is incredible ! Vocals 2 minutes in. Fantastic soundscape here. It settles 4 minutes in with some nice bass then it kicks back in a minute later.

UMUR recommended to me a band called TWISTED INTO FORM which features Kaj one of the lead guitarists on this one. I just checked out a song sample on this site and was promptly blown away. It's on my "to get" list.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#213994) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Review by FruMp
1 stars What's the point really?

I should preface this review by saying technical metal is one of my favourite genres. Atheist, Cynic, Watchtower, Coroner and Voivod rank among some of my favourite bands. So it is not due to any kind of unfamiliarity that I base my judgements.

This album is a crime against technical metal. It is the definition of what people do wrong in the genre if I were ever asked to describe the bad aspects of technical metal I would simply point out this album. For good bands technicality is a means to an end. Bands like Atheist use technicality as a device to convey their musical message - and as they showed on their Elements album they don't particularly need it to make good music. For Spiral Architect though, the AIM is technicality - it isn't used as any kind of device for making good songs. There are no riffs you can hang onto, there are no parts that stand out or sound good, it's pure chaotic nonsense. Even bands on the higher end of the technicality spectrum such as Behold ...The Arctopus and Spastic Ink have riffs, hooks and catchy parts that make you enjoy a song and want to listen to it again.

I'm not sure why this album was created, surely at some point the people that made this cacophonous mess must have had a point of self-realisation (why the hell are we doing this, does it even sound good?) or perhaps it's just an elaborate practical joke. Regardless if you like avant-garde experiments which seek to be intentionally unlistenable give this a listen, if you like good tech and good song writing then don't even waste a download on it.

Send comments to FruMp (BETA) | Report this review (#218154) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009

Review by b_olariu
4 stars Spiral Architect is one of the most intristing bands ever from progressive metal. I don't think that they are Tech/Extreme Prog Metal only prog metal, at least to my ears. I know this album since he was released almost 10 years befor. I must confess this was and at some point still is one of the most intristing and captivating albums ever from my collection. The album released in 2000 named very explicit A sceptic universe is one of the most complex albums I ever heared, in top 10 for sure for the highly complex compositions. Now, I saw that for some this album is a masterpiece for others is a waist of time, because of their unique manner of composing and arrangements, pieces are so complex that sometimes hearts my ears, but overall is a pleasenty album for sure. I like this kind of prog metal, to be complex, maybe some parts are to sophisticated and for that reason they are a little boring, but only in places. Melodicity on this album is almost none, or better said is but in their view, as Spiral Architect want to be, that gives to the album a unpleasent aura for most of the listneres. All pieces are good, two of them are highly recommended : opening track Spinning and Insects, two of the most elaborated in manner of composing and musicaly speaking pieces I ever heared, this guys are simply crazy. Sometimes they reminf me of Watchtower or Fates Warning. The jazzy elements of bass lines interplays simply amazing with the drum chops made by Asgeir Mickelson, great drumer. So, a very good progressive metal album in my view a 3.5 rounded to 4, still not a masterpiece in my ears but worth investigated.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#232801) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Admin / Heavy Prog Team
3 stars Is that a solo or a tornado?

Spiral Architect is an interesting band. They emerged like a small flame in the intense heat of the mid 90s' "jazz metal" frenzy, where bands like Death, Atheist and Cynic were releasing revolutionary music with the interesting fusion of jazz and technical death metal. Spiral Architect has a very similar style to Elements era Atheist, with an intensely fast and speed driven jazz fusion esque bass and guitar lines, this time with more melodic vocals. The band released a single album, A Skeptic's Universe, in 2000 before disintegrating into oblivion. The band, even with just one, obscure album, has succeeded in leaving a significant mark on the progressive metal world with their interpretation of a brief musical movement.

The album's musical makeup is very similar to much of the jazz metal of the era, with a bit more thrash metal, melodic vocal pieces, and a slightly dissonant guitar feel at points. Although they have obvious influence in the likes of Atheist and Death, the band is still able to break away with a slightly more unique style, fusing more traditional progressive metal, jazz, and thrash metal to make an interesting view on the jazz metal scene. The songs have some really superb points, but others seem like essentially every other jazz metal band of the time period ? fast, intense, technical metal manias with ample shredding and hard post-bop influenced bass lines. Although the music at times seems like nothing special with the slew of bands just like it, it does have a slight attractive quality that makes the cold lines of intense music appealing.

One think I'm really bent on is whether to say I really love the incredible audible, intense bass lines, or say that they're unnecessary. Although I absolutely love the fact that they are on the same aural level as the hissing guitars, some part of me thinks their over-technicality adds some kind of a frigid, inaccessible quality to the music. Although they are "necessary" to make the music have that "jazz" feel, at times they just aren't right for the music. However, I must commend the band for their incredible skill of adding an odd harmony between the tornado off bass lines and the crunching, technical guitar lines. Although at times the crazy frenzy is a little scary, overall the band has done a superb job of crafting a very interesting technical metal album.

Overall, this album, all together, is a very balanced display of technical metal. The band manages to balance being like every other tech metal of the age with having a unique and defining sound, making for a good, but not overly remarkable album. This technical monstrosity has its genius moments, its "that was unnecessary" moments, its moments of almost ironic melodic grace, and its moments of "this is just like every other tech metal band ever," equaling out to a good, but non-essential album. One can find more pleasure with bands like Death, Cynic (especially Cynic), and Atheist. Although this album is in no way bad (it is quite good, in fact), it is no essential addition to a collection, unless the listener wants a more inclusive tech metal collection. 3+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#462534) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 15, 2011

5 stars I love this album! I just had to write a review about it. I was surprised to see so many reviews teetering on either side of the spectrum, love or hate, 1 star or 5 star along with many 3 star! Wow, it's true though. This is THAT kind of album. It's uncompromising. It's special. It's unique a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1149972) | Posted by AgostinoScafidi | Tuesday, March 18, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars (5/10) I'm not sure I'll ever be able to properly make my mind up about this one. My opinion can vary wildly even during a listen, so I'll go somewhere in the middle. The reason is that "A Sceptic's Universe" is pretty much an unremitting maelstrom of technical metal. To call Spiral Architect a ... (read more)

Report this review (#947477) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Monday, April 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I have only some simple and direct ideas about this exceptional album! Geniality is mostly not understood! Some people are living before their time and age! This is an album made to prove that technical metal,Prog or whatever can produce pure msuical masterpieces! A sceptic's universe is the u ... (read more)

Report this review (#256603) | Posted by Ovidiu | Thursday, December 17, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I was quite disappointed by this album. A technical monstrousity, really: a stormy chasm of virtuosisms which cut your breath out, really. But how cold! The songs are the most intricate, the sound is heavy, pulsing, dark. Every instrument plays as if driven by madness. All of this is good, but th ... (read more)

Report this review (#176326) | Posted by pepato | Tuesday, July 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This disc took a few listens for me to really enjoy it. I appreciated it after the first listen, for all of the aforementioned technical reasons but I'm not one for the high register wailing that acts as the wrapping paper for the music. I didn't like that style of vocal work when I was a kid ... (read more)

Report this review (#153668) | Posted by JRuined | Sunday, December 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars what more can be said (that is positive about this) other than this release is utterly GODLY! truly the culmination of great talent and the pinnacle of tech metal thus far......everyone is pure perfection, I even love the bass production pushed up in the mix....all other members are exceptional t ... (read more)

Report this review (#150047) | Posted by avalanchemaster | Saturday, November 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars As I am trying to collect my thoughts about what to write about Spiral Architect, I can't help but wonder about some rather degrading reviews. Of course, anyone can write anything about anybody as long as it sounds sophisticated enough (or the reviewer, for that matter), but to judge a band of t ... (read more)

Report this review (#132117) | Posted by andympick | Tuesday, August 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Ehh, this album just doesn't do it for me. Sure, these guys can play, but there are many many things lacking from this music. I'm huge into progressive metal, but this stuff never caught my attention too much. I used to listen to this album. Not too much, but some. The problem was that it w ... (read more)

Report this review (#118763) | Posted by asimplemistake | Tuesday, April 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What can I say about this album.... I can understand the mentality of it's detractors, but at the same time I want to pity them for not being able to enjoy what I consider to be such a masterpiece of progressive music. This music is not about that catchy chorus that you hum along to, or touchy ... (read more)

Report this review (#99448) | Posted by Metalhead28 | Saturday, November 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars To listen this band is a experience from excessive virtuosity, without a doubt nothing I could be attributed to them as far as the interpretation that is brilliant if it doubts, but without a doubt until certain point they exaggerate because the point of this disc is the virtuosity, have excit ... (read more)

Report this review (#88651) | Posted by Shelket | Friday, September 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars There are two kinds of metal bands who play with an insane amount of technical ability. Those who are intent on melody as well as technicality and those who just pile on the technicality, no matter how terrible it sounds. Spiral Architect's lone effort falls into the latter category. It's like th ... (read more)

Report this review (#77184) | Posted by dagrush | Thursday, May 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I cannot give a unique rate, because it is necessary to split the music from the voice in reviewing this album. I've chosen three stars just because it is the intermediate one. THE MUSIC: 5 stars Despite it could be easy to judge "cold" or "mechanic" this kind of music expressivity, we canno ... (read more)

Report this review (#70649) | Posted by lineateorica | Monday, February 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well, what happened if you see a body of woman with 2 heads, arms that do not belong to the body or another anomaly, a Frankenstein?, you'll think: That's wrong!!! Why is it wrong? Because there's something that doesn't fit in the body, right?, Well, this album is something like that: the sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#70604) | Posted by CGH Tompkins | Sunday, February 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Whether naturally or for novelty, Spiral Architect have created perhaps the most technical metal album that I've ever heard. The highlight of the album really is the rather unique bass playing. The overall tone of the instrument really helps to separate the bass player Lars from others, and the almo ... (read more)

Report this review (#54903) | Posted by Equality 7-2521 | Sunday, November 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars . I 've been listening to prog music since i was a little boy, so i'm very open minded when it comes to prog music, but this particular album is just too much... its like an improvisation, there is no melody at all. track after track is the same thing, its like a very long song; none o ... (read more)

Report this review (#43275) | Posted by | Thursday, August 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I've never heard any prog like this...the virtuosity of every member in this well-oil machine and the mindblowing composition of each song are both enough to have this go down as one of the world's best prog. albums. ... (read more)

Report this review (#41239) | Posted by | Monday, August 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Yeah Baaaaaby. This-is-it!! A masterpiece for sure. Unlike Meshuggah, Martyr, Theory in Practice and many other bands in this category, Spiral Architect can be separated from the pact by the fact that they have keyboards and use them to great effect in their very challenging and aggressive sty ... (read more)

Report this review (#25444) | Posted by | Sunday, January 23, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This record evokes the uniqueness of CYNYC'S FOCUS, an extraordinary performance, revealing the technical capabilities of the players, that actually is the least thing to say, beacuse the compositions are quite complex and "fusion-like" with a lot of reseamblance of Mr. Pastorius and Mr. Colaiut ... (read more)

Report this review (#25443) | Posted by arqwave | Monday, December 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I got this album in the mail about two years after my friend (who is now my fusion band's drummer) showed it to me. I did not like it back then because I was into stuff like Greenday and all that, and I thought this had bad timing (lol!) and was too cluttered (wtf?). But after a while I fi ... (read more)

Report this review (#25441) | Posted by Prog_Bassist | Saturday, November 13, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is a must-have for any fan of twisted technical progressive metal. It has a lot of jazz/fusion influences while maintaining the harshness and heaviness of heavy metal. Spiral Architect play unbiased, interesting music, not limited to one style - you'll hear growls, clean singing, ac ... (read more)

Report this review (#25440) | Posted by dvokamenko | Saturday, November 13, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPIRAL ARCHITECT "A Sceptic's Universe"