MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Hawkwind Masters of the Universe album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy HAWKWIND Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1977

1. Master of the universe (6:19)
2. Brainstorm (10:45)
3. Sonic attack (3:00)
4. Orgone accumulator (10:01)
5. It's so easy (5:21)
6. Lost Johnny (3:28)

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe lyrics

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe tabs

- Dave Anderson / bass, guitars (1)
- Dave Brock / lead vocals, guitars, synthesizers
- Del Dettmar / synthesizers
- Dik Mik / audio generator & electronics (1 to 5)
- Simon House / keyboards (6)
- Lemmy Kilminster / bass, vocals, guitars (2 to 6)
- Simon King / drums, percussion (2 to 6)
- Terry Ollis / drums, percussion (1)
- Nik turner / sax, flute, vocals

LP United Artists UAG 30025 (1977)

LP/CD Harvest / Fame FA 3220 (1989)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

HAWKWIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe Music

Hall of the Mountain GrillHall of the Mountain Grill
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Emd Int'l 2001
Space RitualSpace Ritual
Parlophone 2001
Warrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded EditionWarrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded Edition
Cleopatra 2013
In Search of SpaceIn Search of Space
Boxed Set 4cdBoxed Set 4cd
Box set · Import
EMI Import 2011
Hawkwind/Baron Rojo 1982 Guildford Civic Hall Concert Ticket US $11.35 Buy It Now 30m 38s
Motorhead Overkill LP Blue Vinyl Ltd. Edition Import Reissue Hawkwind Metallica US $34.99 Buy It Now 53m 14s
HAWKWIND - Over 20 clippings - Dave Brock, Lemmy US $4.37 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND Electric Tepee Double 180gm Red Vinyl LP 2014 NEW & SEALED US $30.72 Buy It Now 3h 14m
HAWKWIND Silver Machine 7" FRENCH PRESSING UNIQUE PS US $10.00 [0 bids]
1970'S Newspaper Clipping : David Brock Of Hawkwind, Lord of the manor US $12.97 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Poster Size Advert 15x12 Micheal moorcock & Deep fix ( Hawkwind) UAG 29732 US $19.45 Buy It Now 3h 39m
1970'S Newspaper Clipping : Nik Turner of Hawkwind & Michael Moorcock US $11.35 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Hawkwind - 'In the Beginning' cd (space rock) US $3.23 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - IN SEARCH OF SPACE VINYL LP WITH FOLD OUT SLEEVE US $24.30 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Hawkwind - Weird Tapes, Vol. 6 (Live 1970-73/Live Recording, 2000) CD ALBUM. US $8.02 Buy It Now 4h 11m
HAWKWIND - THE XENON CODEX VINYL LP WITH FOLD OUT SLEEVE US $24.30 Buy It Now 4h 15m
HAWKWIND - PXR 5 VINYL LP US $16.20 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Hawkwind - Levitation,EXPANDED LIM. 3CD DLX REMAS.EDIT JAPAN OBI Paper Sleeve US $59.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
HAWKLORDS - 25 YEARS ON VINYL LP HAWKWIND US $8.09 Buy It Now 4h 26m
HAWKWIND - HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL VINYL LP US $11.33 Buy It Now 4h 30m
HAWKWIND PXR5 VINTAGE 1979 UK TOUR BADGE DAVE BROCK US $9.71 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Hawkwind Levitation 1980 Bronze Brol 34530 US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
HAWKWIND Text Of A Festival Live 70-72 DBL Vinyl LP NEW US $25.92 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Hawkwind - Astounding Sounds; Amazing Music (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $32.41 Buy It Now 5h 37m
HAWKWIND Silver Machine UK 7" PS 1986 Samurai Records ex/ex minus US $16.20 Buy It Now 6h 8m
HAWKWIND 'ASTOUNDING SOUNDS AMAZING MUSIC' 180g VINYL LP (2014) US $32.41 Buy It Now 6h 18m
HAWKWIND - Mighty Hawkwind Classics 1980-1985 - 2xLP US $29.18 Buy It Now 6h 52m
HAWKWIND UK 2005 RADIO PROMO CD Take Me To Your THIS IS THE CAPTAIN SPEAKING US $7.28 Buy It Now 7h 50m
HAWKWIND 'DECIDE YOUR FUTURE EP' LIMITED EDITION 4-TRACK CD SINGLE US $25.92 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Hawkwind(7" Vinyl P/S)Motorway City-Flicknife-FLS 025-UK-Ex/Ex+ US $11.33 Buy It Now 8h 28m
HAWKWIND BEST OF FRIENDS AND RELATIONS sealed cd motorhead prog punk rock US $4.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind(7" Vinyl P/S)Motorway City-Flicknife-FLS 025-UK-Ex/Ex+ US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Hawkwind - Silver Machine 1972 7" United Artists UP 35381 US $5.67 Buy It Now 8h 53m
HAWKWIND Electric Tepee cd US $5.00 [0 bids]
Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix Hawkwind ltd ed single the Brothel in Rosenstrasse US $32.41 [0 bids]
Hawkwind(2CD Album)77-Secret-SECDD048-UK-New & Sealed US $15.79 Buy It Now 9h 21m
OMEGA - Csillagok utjan (Sky Rover) 1978 PROG-SPACE ROCK LP HAWKWIND/STYX/FLOYD US $24.90 Buy It Now 10h 16m
HAWKWIND - 3 x UK Vinyl LPs MASTERS OF UNIVERSE/ROADHAWKS/BRING ME THE HEAD VG US $4.85 [1 bids]
HAWKWIND SILVER MACHINE UK 12" UNITED ARTISTS 12UP 35381 BLACK SLEEVE 1972 US $8.09 Buy It Now 10h 26m
Hawkwind UK multifold 2LP Space Ritual US $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 53m
HAWKWIND - DAWN OF HAWKWIND - HST024CD US $9.00 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Hawkwind Debut Album Lp England Uk Liberty 1970 Liberty Gatefold Lbs 83348 US $49.99 Buy It Now 11h 5m
HAWKWIND - THE WEIRD TAPES NO. 2: HAWKWIND LIVE/HAWKLORDS STUDIO - NEW CD US $18.91 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Hawkwind - Strange Daze '97 [CD New] US $15.69 Buy It Now 11h 42m
HAWKWIND 'THE SPACE RITUAL ALIVE IN LIVERPOOL AND LONDON' 1973 STEREO DLP EX/EX US $81.04 [0 bids]
Hawkwind ?Shot Down In The Night [Live U.K. 1979] Vinyl Lovers ?2/ LP 90081 US $26.99 [0 bids]
STEAMHAMMER ? MOUNTAINS CD HAWKWIND CAN EARTHLESS HEADS HENDRIX SABBATH ZEPPELIN US $49.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - SONIC ATTACK (ORIGINAL UK 1ST PRESS) A-1U/B-1U US $12.95 [0 bids]
ROBERT CALVERT- Test-Tube Conceived VINYL LP1st PRESS''86 DMLP 101 ''Hawkwind'' US $15.90 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Space Chase 1980-1985 CD Box Huw Lloyd Langton Dave Brock Nik Turner US $13.99 Buy It Now 12h 48m
MOTORHEAD Motörhead 12" ORIGINAL UK 1977 Punk KBD Metal NWOBHM Damned HAWKWIND US $12.95 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Onward (2012) NEW 2xCD Album (Prog Rock) US $16.20 Buy It Now 12h 53m
HAWKWIND - THE CHANT OF ALLAH CD US $41.94 [5 bids]
Masters Of The Universe by Hawkwind US $12.16 Buy It Now 13h 9m
CD Double: Hawkwind : Live In Nottingham1990 2 CDs US $23.73 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - IT IS THE BUSINESS OF THE FUTURE TO BE DANGEROUS NEW CD US $37.43 Buy It Now 13h 33m
HAWKWIND ORIGINAL CHARISMA 1976 CDS 4004 ASTOUNDING SOUNDS, AMAZING MUSIC US $16.21 [0 bids]
HAWKLORDS:(Hawkwind)25 Years On-U.S. LP 78 Famous Charisma Records DJ Label PCV US $64.98 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Hawkwind SPACE RITUAL Live + BONUS TRACKS Remastered NEW SEALED 2 CD US $11.50 [0 bids]
14h
Hawkwind Motorhead Inner Leaflet Vinyl 7" Ex + Ex Flicknife Single 1981 FLS 205 US $11.35 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Silver Machine Vinyl 7" Vg Ex Samurai Records Single P S 1986 HW 7001 US $12.97 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Silver Machine Picture Disc Vinyl 7" Ex Record Single UPP 35381 US $19.45 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Silver Machine Picture Disc 10th Anniversary Issue Vinyl 7" RCAP 267 US $14.59 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND s/t LP ? 1970 LIBERTY UK Orig Gatefold PROG ROCK/PSYCH LBS 83348 US $16.20 [0 bids]
METAL MASTERS Vol 2 (15 trk CD) Groundhogs, Pink Fairies, Hawkwind, Thor, Raven US $8.09 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill, United Artists UAG-29672 Ex A1/B1 Press US $40.51 Buy It Now 14h 48m
HAWKWIND - SONIC ATTACK NEW CD US $38.86 Buy It Now 14h 56m
HAWKWIND: Spacehawks LP (UK, 2 LPs, 180 gram pressing, limited edition coloured US $35.00 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Hawkwind CHURCH OF HAWKWIND 180g Limited UK RSD 2014 New Colored Vinyl 2 LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Strange Daze '97 Space Rock Restival Live 2-CD NEW SEALED Hawkwind/Nik Turner US $9.71 Buy It Now 15h 32m
2066 AND THEN ? REFLECTIONS! CD KRAUTROCK PSYCH HAWKWIND CAN EARTHLESS HEADS OM US $99.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Epoch-eclipse (the Ultimate Best Of.. NEW CD US $9.75 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Robert Calvert/Maximum Effect Live Stars & Stripes 1986 2-CD NEW SEALED Hawkwind US $11.33 Buy It Now 15h 55m
HAWKWIND, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.67 Buy It Now 15h 57m
HAWKWIND - URBAN GUERILLA - NEW CD US $9.47 Buy It Now 16h 6m
Hawkwind DOREMI FASOL LATIDO 180g Limited Edt. GATEFOLD New COLORED VINYL 2 LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind ELECTRIC TEPEE 180g Gatefold Red Colored NEW Back On Black VINYL 2 LP US $32.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
HAWKWIND: T.a.t. (travellers Aid Trust) US $40.00 Buy It Now 16h 52m
Hawkwind XENON CODEX 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed COLORED Vinyl 2 LP US $32.99 Buy It Now 17h 9m
HAWKWIND ~ Palace Springs - 1991 TESTED Cassette - Prog Psych Hard Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND--Oscillations{LIVE-BRIXTON,CAMBRIDGE-72} [NEW] US $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 43m
HAWKWIND "Bring me the Head of Yuri Gagarin.. LIVE" (CD) HEAVY COSMIC STONER US $8.73 Buy It Now 18h 3m
HAWKWIND - KNIGHTS OF SPACE - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.86 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Hawkwind Live 1982 2XLP sealed Mint limited color vinyl gatefold 2009 US $24.99 Buy It Now 20h
Hawkwind The Text Of Festival Live 1970-2 2XLP sealed Mint US $24.99 Buy It Now 20h 5m
HAWKWIND - DISTANT HORIZONS [4582213915068] - NEW CD US $45.89 Buy It Now 20h 19m
Undisclosed Files: Addendum by Hawkwind (CD, May-1995, Griffin) US $24.00 [0 bids]
Undisclosed Files: Addendum by Hawkwind (CD, May-1995, Griffin) US $10.00 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND Live Chronicles Cassette Tape CS space rock psych dave brock nik turner US $0.50 [1 bids]
HAWKWIND The Xenon Codex Cassette Tape CS space rock psych dave brock nik turner US $0.50 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND PXR5 Vintage 70`s/80`s Button Pin Badge 44mm-1.75" US $8.09 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Hawkwind HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed VINYL 2 LP US $31.50 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Doremi:T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $26.24 Buy It Now 23h 22m
HAWKWIND - URBAN GUERILLA - 7" P/S SINGLE RECORD STORE DAY (RSD) 2013 MOTORHEAD US $21.06 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - ACID DAZE VOLUME II - RECEIVER RECORDS GREAT CONDITION US $16.13 Buy It Now 1 day
(BOX ONLY) HAWKWIND California Brainstorm *UNUSED* GRIFFIN BOX SET BOX US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(BOX ONLY)HAWKWIND Quark,Strangeness,Charm+ Astounding Sounds UNUSED BOX SET BOX US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND INDIA INDIAN SINGLE - Silver Machine - RARE prs. 45 psych 7" RECORD VG+ US $999.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND "Angels Of Death" - 1981 1st UK 7" Single (A-1U/B-1U) - ORIG RCA US $19.88 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - HAWKLORDS VINTAGE METAL PIN BADGE FROM THE 1980's MADE IN ENGLAND US $14.57 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND "URBAN GUERILLA" ADVERT FROM 1973 ORIGINAL DOUBLE PAGE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - SONIC ATTACK [5013929631922] - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Live 1978 by Hawkwind (CD, Jun-2009, Atomhenge) US $17.85 Buy It Now 1 day
ABSOLUTE ROCK [3CD Set] KANE Rainbow REO Deep Purple HAWKWIND ZZ Top (50 Tracks) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy HAWKWIND music online Buy HAWKWIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAWKWIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe ratings distribution

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars I bought this compilation when the band's discography was still unknown to me, and I must admit that I see this as quite useless album. Few picks from their "Space Ritual" double live album, and Lemmy's proto-MOTÖRHEAD song from "The Hall of The Mountain Grill". I would like to see a HAWKWIND compilation with some essential tracks around... But I guess I'll never manage to do that!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#25662) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Trotsky
3 stars A piecemeal compilation this, comprising tracks from the 1971-1974 period. As such it does a far more thorough job of summing one period of Hawkwind's music than the other compilation I own, Epocheclipse: The Ultimate Best Of, which tries to condense nearly 30 years of music into 18 tracks, and ends up pleasing nobody. Even though I'm not fond of the performances of some of these songs on the Space Ritual album, I do enjoy this presentation of the studio versions of Master Of The Universe, Brainstorm and the oh-so- insistent Orgone Accumulator.

The subtle, sweeping sound affects that colour the pieces here (and got lost on Space Ritual) make Masters Of The Universe a worthwhile introduction to the more improvisation- orientated side of Hawkwind, although I'd still recommend heading directly to the superior Hall of The Mountain Grill or Warrior On The Edge Of Time albums. I could do without the Robert Calvert poetic rants (although I do admit that this one, Sonic Attack is the very best of them) while It's So Easy is an atypical song that takes a dreamy start and turns into a borderline glam-rock tune, albeit one with a psych guitar-freak out stuck in the middle! To round things off, we have Lost Johnny, a driving biker anthem that is bassist Lemmy Kilminster's finest moment.

This 40 minute trip works quite well, and made me realise that with Hawkwind, the dosage is of particular importance. Too much of the good thing turns me off, but I'm always tuned in to this. ... 52% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#44634) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2005

Review by loserboy
3 stars So I will admit right up front that Hawkwind were not and are still not my favourite band but my good friend Bob Turnbull has gotten me more and more into this band's music and being a sucker for good albums I picked up "Masters of The Universe" ! This is a pretty cool album and manages to really draw up that old space-prog rock senses with tracks like the 10 Mins Orgone Accumulator and the 11 Mins Brainstorm epic numbers. This was I guess the most interesting version of hawkwind with Nik Turner, Dave Brock, Mr Kilminster, Bob Calvert and Mick Farren . Musically this album showcases the spaced out contributions of heavy bass, drum and keyboard trio with wild vocals and assorted musical instruments. The album runs like a wild nightmare!

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#85741) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars A compilation for those who are not initiated into the Hawkwind universe.

I am a serious Hawkwind fan and love most of their early works and some later albums. I am especially fond of 'Space Ritual' and 'In search of Space, 'Doremi Fasol Latido' and 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' among others such as the first album. So I was eager to pick up this CD to see what some of the tracks I had heard live are like as studio versions.

The vinyl may have been one of the best compilations in the late 70s of the band, but the CD does not warn that it is a compilation in any way! It does not warn that two of the tracks are live and directly taken from 'Space Ritual'. So instead of getting new tracks to add to the collection I was inundated with the same stuff I already have. Any Hawkwind fan would no doubt have the aforementioned albums as they are the classics that launched this incredible band. So the CD is absolutely worthless to the Hawkwind addict. Though it has a nice cover so if you see it in the $1 Bin - get it! There are no other pictures to redeem it either. It doesnt even have a booklet.

Let's see what the CD offers shall we?

1. Master of the universe - an excellent track, OK! - But its on every compilation as well as many CDs as a bonus track so that is not worth buying this CD.

2. Brainstorm - Terrific track but once again on many compilations and easy to obtain.

3. Sonic attack - ho hum - its the same as 'Space Ritual'.

4. Orgone accumulator - brilliant track - my favourite Hawkwind track of all time and the reason I bought this album.... BUT - its the same as 'Space Ritual'. There was no warning on the sleeve that this was a live version so I was bitterly disappointed. Did they record this as a studio version? 5. It's so easy - this is on the classic albums and not much of a track really.

6. Lost Johnny - Great track BUT its on 'Hall of Mountain Grill'.

So if you are after a Hawkwind compilation get 'EpochEclipse' or 'Psychedelic Warlords' instead.

I wasted my money and I was furious so I took it back to the CD seller who actually let me buy a different CD to replace this one (thanks JB).

If not, I would have been using this CD as an expensive coffee coaster.

This is definitely for the Hawkwind newbie. I would suggest though to ditch this, and get the first 6 albums, "Chronicle of the Black Sword" "Space Ritual" and the latest release "Blood of the Earth" instead. That is really the best of Hawkwind!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#178982) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

3 stars "Masters of the Universe" is just one of many compilations created to capture the Hawkwind sound. While the compilation is not accurate as a portrait of the band's early period, it does capture the dark and heavy dimension of their sound. The main reasons to buy this compilation would be to in ... (read more)

Report this review (#992201) | Posted by The Mystical | Friday, July 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The most cohesive introduction to Hawkwind's United Artists years from 1971-74 for the money when it was released on vinyl in 1977. This compilation with it's freaked out cover of a wizard and his apprentice contemplating a mystical kingdom was also released on CD in '89 and was one of the few Hawkw ... (read more)

Report this review (#400521) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Monday, February 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the Album which began my seemingly endless meandering into the Space-Rock of the mighty Hawks.Hence the 4 stars...it's personal (-.o) I backtracked from this excellent compilation, then worked my way forwards (in terms of purchasing albums). Hawkwind are by no means techinically superb ... (read more)

Report this review (#25661) | Posted by NyghtOwl | Tuesday, June 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAWKWIND "Masters of the Universe"