MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Hawkwind Masters of the Universe album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy HAWKWIND Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1977

1. Master of the universe (6:19)
2. Brainstorm (10:45)
3. Sonic attack (3:00)
4. Orgone accumulator (10:01)
5. It's so easy (5:21)
6. Lost Johnny (3:28)

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe lyrics

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe tabs

- Dave Anderson / bass, guitars (1)
- Dave Brock / lead vocals, guitars, synthesizers
- Del Dettmar / synthesizers
- Dik Mik / audio generator & electronics (1 to 5)
- Simon House / keyboards (6)
- Lemmy Kilminster / bass, vocals, guitars (2 to 6)
- Simon King / drums, percussion (2 to 6)
- Terry Ollis / drums, percussion (1)
- Nik turner / sax, flute, vocals

LP United Artists UAG 30025 (1977)

LP/CD Harvest / Fame FA 3220 (1989)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

HAWKWIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe Music

Hall of the Mountain GrillHall of the Mountain Grill
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Emd Int'l 2001
Space RitualSpace Ritual
Parlophone 2001
Warrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded EditionWarrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded Edition
Cleopatra 2013
Back On Black 2011
Vinyl$21.89
Quark Strangeness & CharmQuark Strangeness & Charm
Atomhenge 2009
ST37 split VOCOKESH f/i LP SEALED moray eels hawkwind garage acid space psych US $8.99 Buy It Now 35m 13s
HAWKWIND - Chronicle Of The Black Sword / Cassette Album Tape / Flicknife / 1703 US $27.32 Buy It Now 52m 37s
HAWKWIND - It Is The Business Of The Future / Cassette Album Tape / 1702 US $14.46 Buy It Now 52m 37s
Hawkwind - Chronicle of Black Sword - Video CD US $11.21 Buy It Now 53m 34s
HAWKWIND-WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME DELUXE EDITION-JAPAN DVD MINI LP 2 HQCD O00 US $65.50 Buy It Now 1h 14m
HAWKWIND - Electric Tepee / Cassette Album Tape / 1713 US $14.46 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix Roller Coaster Holiday CD NEW SEALED Hawkwind US $8.02 Buy It Now 2h 24m
TIM BLAKE NEW JERUSALEM FRENCH PRESS LP + INSERT EX/EX HAWKWIND PRG SPACE ROCK US $46.62 Buy It Now 2h 41m
TIM BLAKE CRYSTAL MACHINE FRENCH PRESS LP EX/EX HAWKWIND PRG SPACE ROCK EGG RECS US $30.54 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Hawkwind - In Search Of Space RARE Israeli DIFFERENT PRESS Israel 1971 LP LISTEN US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 31m
HAWKWIND Sonic Attack LP+insert UK 1981 RCALP6004 michael moorcock US $13.43 Buy It Now 3h 44m
EARTHLESS Sonic Prayer CD dark heavy psychedelia / space rock hawkwind sabbath US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
BONG Live At Roadburn 2010 CD UK psychedelic drone/sludge space rock om hawkwind US $14.98 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Hawkwind - Urban Guerilla / Brainbox Pollution (RSD 2013) 7" 40th anniversary US $7.96 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido [Remastered] (CD 2001) US $7.96 Buy It Now 4h 9m
CAPTAIN RIZZ MANIFESTO EXTREMELY RARE 7 TRACK CD 1995 HAWKWIND ALAN DAVEY US $16.07 [0 bids]
PRE-MED THE TRUTH ABOUT US EXTREMELY RARE 9 TRACK CD HAWKWIND ALAN DAVEY US $8.02 [0 bids]
Farflung A Wound in Eternity CD, May-2008, Meteor City SEALED NEW HAWKWIND US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 39m
HAWKWIND 7'' PS Silver Machine YUGOSLAVIA unique cover 45 UP 35381 rare! US $88.45 Buy It Now 4h 49m
MOTORHEAD,HAWKWIND,URIAH HEEP,MAGNUM,GIRLSCHOOL,UFO,BLACK SABBATH etc (CD 2001) US $5.95 [0 bids]
Choose Your Masques, Hawkwind, Vinyl 12 inch Album, 1982 US $16.08 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Hawkwind - Spirit Of The Age - An Antholo (NEW CD) US $30.14 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Hawkwind Friends & And Relations - The Very Best Of Rarities (NEW CD) US $15.66 Buy It Now 5h 35m
HAWKWIND independent days 10" UK Mint- XSHARP019 Vinyl 1984 Record US $18.00 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Motorhead Another Japan Promo Vinyl LP Hawkwind Lemmy US $89.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Hawkwind, Silver machine, NEW/MINT Ltd edition PICTURE DISC 7 inch vinyl single US $19.28 Buy It Now 6h 7m
EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND REPERTOIRE RECS CD +4X 1994 RELEASE HAWKWIND GONG ACID US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Hawkwind ~Area 54 EP~ Alien (I am)/Sputnik Stan/Death Trap/Wastelands/Losing US $38.00 Buy It Now 6h 19m
HAWKWIND DOREMI FASOL LATIDO / NM MINT- SUPERB COPY WITH PINK OBI US $499.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
HAWKWIND - MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE US $16.07 Buy It Now 6h 45m
HAWKWIND - SILVER MACHINE 7" 45 NR MINT VINYL UK ORIGINAL Prog Psych Classic US $12.85 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Hawkwind "Take Me to Your Leader" cd US $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Hawkwind "The Friday Rock Show Sessions Live at Reading '86" cd US $53.89 Buy It Now 7h 17m
HAWKWIND Onward 180g green vinyl 2-LP SEALED / NEW 1000-copies US $36.87 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Masters Of The Universe by Hawkwind (CD, Marble Arch) Import England US $10.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Dream Goes On: From The Black Sword [CD New] US $31.82 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grill [CD New] US $8.53 Buy It Now 7h 39m
HAWKWIND - Live CD "Space London 1972" (inc Nik Turner, Lemmy Motorhead) US $49.95 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Space Rock From London CD Live 1972 (inc Nik Turner, Lemmy Motorhead) US $49.95 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Live at City Hall, St. Albums - 8th Dec 1979 (Tim Blake, Gong) US $49.95 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND "HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL" 1985 REISSUE LP US $9.63 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Silver Machine // Seven By Seven. 1972 7" EX+ *Listen* US $0.80 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Church Of Hawkwind (NEW CD) US $18.88 Buy It Now 8h 7m
HAWKWIND - LIVE FROM THE DARKSIDE - NEW CD US $8.74 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Hawkwind.Urban guerrilla/Brainbox pollution.UK 1973 US $3.20 [1 bids]
Hawkwind.The psychedelic warlords/It's so easy.UK 1974. US $3.20 [0 bids]
MOTORHEAD-NO SLEEP AT ALL-UK 2004 CD-HAWKWIND-MINT US $4.81 Buy It Now 9h 54m
HAWKWIND LEVITATION castle A2-B Lp nr.MINT US $16.07 Buy It Now 9h 55m
HAWKWIND**LEVITATION (LTD ED)**3CD US $41.99 Buy It Now 10h 9m
HAWKWIND 'IN SEARCH OF SPACE' 1971 STEREO LP EX/EX US $40.19 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND SILVER MACHINE / SEVEN BY SEVEN picture sleeve up 35381 EX+ US $18.49 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Robert Calvert (Hawkwind) - Centigrade 232 (CD 2007) Ltd Ed. Book of Poems US $16.07 [1 bids]
HAWKWIND: The Text Of Festival : Hawkwind Live 1970-72 (rock & pop LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 41m
HAWKWIND (Lemmy KILMISTER) 1 pin Brooch from the1990s US $4.34 [3 bids]
Hawkwind - The Best of Friends and Relations - CD US $2.80 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Dawn of Hawkwind - Various rare live from 1972-1990 US $49.95 [0 bids]
Aqua Nebula Oscillator - Third CD Monster Magnet Acid Mothers Temple Hawkwind US $6.42 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Levitation & Hawkwind Live 2LP Collection US $17.67 Buy It Now 12h
HAWKWIND - VERY BEST OF FRIENDS & RELATIONS (LIMITED EDITION - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.43 Buy It Now 12h 18m
Hawkwind ?- Masters Of The Universe Lp Colombia US $150.00 Buy It Now 12h 22m
Warrior on the Edge of Time:expanded Edition - Hawkwind New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CA US $50.19 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Live 1978 by Hawkwind (CD, Jun-2009, Atomhenge) US $13.65 Buy It Now 13h 9m
Warrior on the Edge of Time [Expanded Edition] by Hawkwind (CD, Jun-2013, 3... US $21.16 Buy It Now 13h 9m
HAWKWIND "The Collection" CD Collector Series 1986 Castle Records MADE IN FRANCE US $6.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND "25 Years On: 1970-1974" 4-Disc CD Box Set Collection RARE HTF OOP US $19.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND "Lord Of Light" CD 1993 CEMA Cleopatra *Free US Shipping* US $12.98 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND "IT IS THE BUSINESS OF THE FUTURE TO BE DANGEROUS" ESDLP 196 (1993) EX US $49.97 Buy It Now 13h 50m
HAWKWIND: In Search Of Space LP (UK, 2 LPs, 180 gram reissue, coloured vinyl) R US $35.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
HAWKWIND V ASTRALASIA - NEW CD US $11.84 Buy It Now 14h 21m
Hawkwind DOREMI (Import Official License) T-Shirt size Mens Medium Space Rock US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
HAWKWIND SHOT DOWN IN THE NIGHT SEALED US $29.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind ?- Angels of Death - RCA 45 PS - 1981 NM- US $9.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND Shot Down in the Night Double LP sealed british rock metal motorhead US $19.99 [0 bids]
Warrior on the Edge of.. Hawkwind CD US $56.64 Buy It Now 16h 38m
HAWKWIND LP ANTHOLOGY VOLUME 11 VINYL LP RECORD US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 43m
HAWKWIND - ANTHOLOGY VOLUME III 1986 UK SAMURI PROG PSYCH SPACE ROCK LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind,Hawkwind,Various : Hawkfest 2002: Live (2CDs) (2004) US $13.27 Buy It Now 17h 59m
Steve Swindells Promo Fresh blood EX- Hawkwind Almost 500 Fair Priced LP's US $4.95 [0 bids]
18h
Monster Magnet "Cage Around the Sun" 7" vinyl Hawkwind US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 40m
HAWKWIND DOREMI FASOL LATIDO JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW OOP TOCP-95061 US $65.99 Buy It Now 19h 15m
AMORPHIS MY KANTELE CD FLAT PROMO VERY RARE HTF OOP 1997 HAWKWIND US $20.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
HAWKWIND Onward 180g VINYL LP RECORD 2012 Sealed NEW US $26.38 Buy It Now 19h 36m
Hawkwind 1980 Guildhall, Portsmouth Concert Ticket US $8.04 Buy It Now 20h 29m
Hawkwind - Spacehawks New 2 X LP US $39.39 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Hawkwind : Hawkwind BBC Live Concert CD (1991) US $11.60 Buy It Now 21h 5m
HAWKWIND Space Ritual Double 2xLP NM/NM/EX+ UK 1980 Repress UAD60037 Gatefold US $35.38 Buy It Now 21h 5m
ROBERT CALVERT - CAPTAIN LOCKHEED AND THE STARFIGHTERS - UK 1st / Hawkwind prog US $26.39 [1 bids]
Hawkwind - Parallel Universe CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 22h 44m
Hawkwind - Hawkfrendz #3 Wembley repro US $5.15 Buy It Now 23h 21m
Hawkwind In Search Of Space 2lp new vinyl US $39.99 Buy It Now 23h 36m
Hawkwind - In Search of Space VINYL US $72.35 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND-CHOOSE YOUR MASQUES-JAPAN MINI LP 2 HQCD LTD H75 zd US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Calvert / Hawkwind - Hype orig uk vinyl LP US $6.42 [0 bids]
Dave Brock / Hawkwind - The Agents of Chaos orig uk vinyl LP US $6.42 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Hawklords orig uk vinyl LP US $8.02 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Quark Strangness & Charm orig uk vinyl LP US $8.02 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Palace Springs orig uk vinyl LP US $8.02 [1 bids]
MOJO In Search Of Syd 15-trk CD NEW Flaming Lips Bevis Frond Hawkwind Gong US $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind,Choose Your Masques,Fully signed sleeve,Matrix numbers A-1U US $43.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind Knights Of Space shrink wrapped new special edition 2 CD set US $6.49 [0 bids]

More places to buy HAWKWIND music online Buy HAWKWIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAWKWIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe ratings distribution

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars I bought this compilation when the band's discography was still unknown to me, and I must admit that I see this as quite useless album. Few picks from their "Space Ritual" double live album, and Lemmy's proto-MOTÖRHEAD song from "The Hall of The Mountain Grill". I would like to see a HAWKWIND compilation with some essential tracks around... But I guess I'll never manage to do that!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#25662) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Trotsky
3 stars A piecemeal compilation this, comprising tracks from the 1971-1974 period. As such it does a far more thorough job of summing one period of Hawkwind's music than the other compilation I own, Epocheclipse: The Ultimate Best Of, which tries to condense nearly 30 years of music into 18 tracks, and ends up pleasing nobody. Even though I'm not fond of the performances of some of these songs on the Space Ritual album, I do enjoy this presentation of the studio versions of Master Of The Universe, Brainstorm and the oh-so- insistent Orgone Accumulator.

The subtle, sweeping sound affects that colour the pieces here (and got lost on Space Ritual) make Masters Of The Universe a worthwhile introduction to the more improvisation- orientated side of Hawkwind, although I'd still recommend heading directly to the superior Hall of The Mountain Grill or Warrior On The Edge Of Time albums. I could do without the Robert Calvert poetic rants (although I do admit that this one, Sonic Attack is the very best of them) while It's So Easy is an atypical song that takes a dreamy start and turns into a borderline glam-rock tune, albeit one with a psych guitar-freak out stuck in the middle! To round things off, we have Lost Johnny, a driving biker anthem that is bassist Lemmy Kilminster's finest moment.

This 40 minute trip works quite well, and made me realise that with Hawkwind, the dosage is of particular importance. Too much of the good thing turns me off, but I'm always tuned in to this. ... 52% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#44634) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2005

Review by loserboy
3 stars So I will admit right up front that Hawkwind were not and are still not my favourite band but my good friend Bob Turnbull has gotten me more and more into this band's music and being a sucker for good albums I picked up "Masters of The Universe" ! This is a pretty cool album and manages to really draw up that old space-prog rock senses with tracks like the 10 Mins Orgone Accumulator and the 11 Mins Brainstorm epic numbers. This was I guess the most interesting version of hawkwind with Nik Turner, Dave Brock, Mr Kilminster, Bob Calvert and Mick Farren . Musically this album showcases the spaced out contributions of heavy bass, drum and keyboard trio with wild vocals and assorted musical instruments. The album runs like a wild nightmare!

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#85741) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars A compilation for those who are not initiated into the Hawkwind universe.

I am a serious Hawkwind fan and love most of their early works and some later albums. I am especially fond of 'Space Ritual' and 'In search of Space, 'Doremi Fasol Latido' and 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' among others such as the first album. So I was eager to pick up this CD to see what some of the tracks I had heard live are like as studio versions.

The vinyl may have been one of the best compilations in the late 70s of the band, but the CD does not warn that it is a compilation in any way! It does not warn that two of the tracks are live and directly taken from 'Space Ritual'. So instead of getting new tracks to add to the collection I was inundated with the same stuff I already have. Any Hawkwind fan would no doubt have the aforementioned albums as they are the classics that launched this incredible band. So the CD is absolutely worthless to the Hawkwind addict. Though it has a nice cover so if you see it in the $1 Bin - get it! There are no other pictures to redeem it either. It doesnt even have a booklet.

Let's see what the CD offers shall we?

1. Master of the universe - an excellent track, OK! - But its on every compilation as well as many CDs as a bonus track so that is not worth buying this CD.

2. Brainstorm - Terrific track but once again on many compilations and easy to obtain.

3. Sonic attack - ho hum - its the same as 'Space Ritual'.

4. Orgone accumulator - brilliant track - my favourite Hawkwind track of all time and the reason I bought this album.... BUT - its the same as 'Space Ritual'. There was no warning on the sleeve that this was a live version so I was bitterly disappointed. Did they record this as a studio version? 5. It's so easy - this is on the classic albums and not much of a track really.

6. Lost Johnny - Great track BUT its on 'Hall of Mountain Grill'.

So if you are after a Hawkwind compilation get 'EpochEclipse' or 'Psychedelic Warlords' instead.

I wasted my money and I was furious so I took it back to the CD seller who actually let me buy a different CD to replace this one (thanks JB).

If not, I would have been using this CD as an expensive coffee coaster.

This is definitely for the Hawkwind newbie. I would suggest though to ditch this, and get the first 6 albums, "Chronicle of the Black Sword" "Space Ritual" and the latest release "Blood of the Earth" instead. That is really the best of Hawkwind!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#178982) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

3 stars "Masters of the Universe" is just one of many compilations created to capture the Hawkwind sound. While the compilation is not accurate as a portrait of the band's early period, it does capture the dark and heavy dimension of their sound. The main reasons to buy this compilation would be to in ... (read more)

Report this review (#992201) | Posted by The Mystical | Friday, July 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The most cohesive introduction to Hawkwind's United Artists years from 1971-74 for the money when it was released on vinyl in 1977. This compilation with it's freaked out cover of a wizard and his apprentice contemplating a mystical kingdom was also released on CD in '89 and was one of the few Hawkw ... (read more)

Report this review (#400521) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Monday, February 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the Album which began my seemingly endless meandering into the Space-Rock of the mighty Hawks.Hence the 4 stars...it's personal (-.o) I backtracked from this excellent compilation, then worked my way forwards (in terms of purchasing albums). Hawkwind are by no means techinically superb ... (read more)

Report this review (#25661) | Posted by NyghtOwl | Tuesday, June 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAWKWIND "Masters of the Universe"