MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Hawkwind Masters of the Universe album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy HAWKWIND Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1977

1. Master of the universe (6:19)
2. Brainstorm (10:45)
3. Sonic attack (3:00)
4. Orgone accumulator (10:01)
5. It's so easy (5:21)
6. Lost Johnny (3:28)

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe lyrics

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe tabs

- Dave Anderson / bass, guitars (1)
- Dave Brock / lead vocals, guitars, synthesizers
- Del Dettmar / synthesizers
- Dik Mik / audio generator & electronics (1 to 5)
- Simon House / keyboards (6)
- Lemmy Kilminster / bass, vocals, guitars (2 to 6)
- Simon King / drums, percussion (2 to 6)
- Terry Ollis / drums, percussion (1)
- Nik turner / sax, flute, vocals

LP United Artists UAG 30025 (1977)

LP/CD Harvest / Fame FA 3220 (1989)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

HAWKWIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe Music

Warrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded EditionWarrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded Edition
Cleopatra 2013
HawkwindHawkwind
Remastered
Parallel UniverseParallel Universe
EMI Import 2011
VENOM HAWKWIND MOTORHEAD TYSONDOG JESS COX ROX LP BRAZIL 1st PRESS 1986 NWOBHM US $39.99 Buy It Now 37m 24s
OLDE CRONE self-titled CD obscure British psych-doom a la cathedral hawkwind NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 1h 14m
HAWKWIND Space Chase 1980-1985 CD BOX SET With Poster US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Hawkwind - Palace Springs - 1991 NEW US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
VINYL LP HAWKWIND SONIC FLEP 101 1981 FLICKNIFE RECORDS US $13.62 Buy It Now 2h 23m
VINYL LP HAWKWIND FRIENDS & RELATIONS TWICE UPON A TIME SHARP 107 US $11.91 Buy It Now 2h 23m
HAWKWIND~GREASY TRUCKER PARTY~MAN~12"DOUBLE LP SET~EXCELLENT+~RARE WHITE LABEL US $24.69 [3 bids]
HARVESTMAN / U.S. CHRISTMAS / MINSK - HAWKWIND TRIAD NEW CD US $24.52 Buy It Now 2h 52m
HAWKWIND Live Seventy Nine LP *Excellent* US $22.15 Buy It Now 2h 59m
HAWKWIND Motorhead AVM 1989 LP Night of the HAWK NICE .super record. US $22.22 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Hawkwind HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed VINYL 2 LP US $31.50 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND Best Of & Rest Of Live RARE CD 1990 US $19.44 Buy It Now 3h 44m
UNDERGROUND ZERO - THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS - IMPORT VINYL LP 1986 UZO HAWKWIND US $12.80 Buy It Now 3h 50m
HAWKWIND ~ Bring Head Yuri Gagarin - 1995 France CD - Prog Psych - Lemmy -IMPORT US $4.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND ~ Space Is Deep - 1995 UK CD - Prog Psych US $4.99 [1 bids]
In Search Of Space - Hawkwind New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
HAWKWIND ~ Palace Springs - 1991 TESTED Cassette - Prog Psych Hard Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE (1997) UK PULSE COMPILATION CD 5016073720762 US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
HAWKWIND The Text Of Festival Hawkwind Live 1970-1972 CD cult space rock REISSUE US $13.98 Buy It Now 4h 59m
The Rock File: Hawkwind LP England Import United Artists LBR 1012 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
CHROME Half Machine Lip Moves LP SEALED Helios Creed Damon Edge Devo Hawkwind US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
HAWKWIND LIVE CHRONICLES SEALED 2 LP SET SUPER RARE US $59.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
hawkwind /the tapes vol.3&4 cd US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 27m
JUDAS PRIEST Hero, Hero 2 lp gull italy '81 gatefold metal iron maiden hawkwind! US $35.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
SOFT MACHINE Volume Two LP probe gatefold Robert Wyatt prog psych Gong Hawkwind US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 16m
MAN Call Down The Moon CD OOP PROG (Nektar, Hawkwind, Greenslade, Genesis, Yes) US $7.45 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Chronicle Of The Black Sword CD Psychedelic Space Rock Music Album New US $22.14 Buy It Now 7h 52m
This Is Hawkwind Do Not Panic Live From Stonehenge NM 1984 2LP Import Flicknife US $59.90 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Hawkwind Space Ritual Volume 2 2LP 1985 NM Record Sundown Brixton December 1972 US $59.90 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Hawkwind Anthology Volume 2 1986 NM/VG+ UK Import Record Samurai SAMR 039 Error US $29.90 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Hawkwind Masters Of The Universe 1977 UK Import Record Greatest Hits Lemmy Bass US $29.90 Buy It Now 8h 34m
60's to 70s -- Insearch of space -- Sealed CD -- with Hawkwind, Gong, 13th floor US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 36m
WIDOWMAKER s/t LP UK metal/HR ex-LOVE AFFAIR ex-HAWKWIND BLACK SABBATH SPOOKY T US $14.99 [0 bids]
WIDOWMAKER Too Late To Cry LP UK metal/HR ex-LOVE AFFAIR ex-HAWKWIND BLACK SABBA US $7.99 [0 bids]
Simon House/Yassasim/Hawkwind/new cd US $30.00 Buy It Now 9h
Hawkwind Friends And Relations The Rarities/new cd US $11.50 Buy It Now 9h
Hawkwind Acid Daze Volume 3 Mint and Factory Sealed UK Press US $20.00 Buy It Now 9h 17m
HAWKWIND - "Who's Gonna Win The War?" - 7" Single 1980 UK - ORIG BRONZE US $19.88 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Hawkwind Anthology Volume III spacerock LP picture disc '86 uk motorhead rare! US $75.00 Buy It Now 10h 13m
INNER CITY UNIT The President's Tapes LP MINT UK Vinyl 1985 Nik Turner *Hawkwind US $41.94 Buy It Now 10h 22m
ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE The Penultimate Galactic Bordello 4 CD Box Set Gong hawkwind US $20.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind : Levitation CD *SEALED Orig UK 1987 Ver Dave Brock Harvey Bainbridge US $59.95 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Hawkwind 1973 Civic Hall, Wolverhampton Concert Ticket US $30.68 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Hawkwind "Christmas Tour" 1976 Civic Hall, Wolverhampton Concert Ticket US $20.45 Buy It Now 12h 33m
SPACE MIRRORS-MAJESTIC-12: A HIDDEN PRESENCE 2009 SPACE/DARK ROCK HAWKWIND SIGH US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
SPACE MIRRORS-MEMORIES OF THE FUTURE (2006) SPACE ROCK/METAL HAWKWIND ARCTURUS US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Hawkwind/Motorhead "Quark Strangeness & Charm Tour" 1977 Hanley Concert Ticket US $20.45 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Hawkwind "Christmas Tour" 1980 Odeon, Lewisham complete Concert Ticket US $25.56 Buy It Now 16h 37m
Hawkwind / Atomic Rooster / 4X - Kiss Yer Skull Goodbye - Original UK Cassette US $21.74 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Hawkwind - Lot of 9 tickets 1978-1993 US $42.61 Buy It Now 17h 27m
Robert Calvert - Hype (Songs of Tom Mahler, 2013) (New/sealed) CD Hawkwind US $20.43 Buy It Now 17h 34m
HAWKWIND-MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE-6 TRACK CD-MADE IN EU US $12.26 Buy It Now 17h 49m
HAWKWIND - BLOOD OF THE EARTH [HAWKWIND] [803341328020] - NEW CD US $11.32 Buy It Now 18h 25m
HAWKWIND The Collection 2xLP CCSLP 148 Gatefold EX/EX+ US $13.55 Buy It Now 18h 53m
HAWKWIND - THE COLLECTOR SERIES Vol 2Live 1982 2CDs (NEW SEALED) Space Prog Rock US $10.21 Buy It Now 18h 58m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume 3-Receiver-RRCD127-UK-New & Sealed US $10.21 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Space Is Deep-Receiver-RRCD206-UK-New & Sealed US $11.91 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume 1-Receiver-RRCD125-UK-New & Sealed US $17.02 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume II-Receiver-RRCD126-UK-New & Sealed US $13.62 Buy It Now 20h 11m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume 3-Receiver-RRCD127-UK-New & Sealed US $10.99 Buy It Now 20h 12m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume 1-Receiver-RRCD125-UK-New & Sealed US $16.99 Buy It Now 20h 12m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Acid Daze Volume II-Receiver-RRCD126-UK-New & Sealed US $13.99 Buy It Now 20h 12m
Hawkwind(CD Album)Space Is Deep-Receiver-RRCD206-UK-New & Sealed US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 12m
HAWKWIND - Live Chronicles - 1986 Vinyl 2-LP *SIGNED by HUW LLOYD-LANGTON* VG+ US $6.48 [8 bids]
Hawkwind - Choose Your Masques (CD) NEW US $30.66 Buy It Now 20h 35m
Robert Calvert-At The Queen Elizabeth Hall-Clear 1-ENGLAND HAWKWIND US $49.99 Buy It Now 20h 38m
Hawkwind - Electric Tepee (NEW CD) US $20.01 Buy It Now 20h 42m
Jeff the Brotherhood "Live at Third Man" NM/NM Space rock Hawkwind Jack White US $10.00 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND "SILVER MACHINE" RARE 7" SINGLE - NWOBHM - UP 35381 US $6.80 Buy It Now 21h 5m
HAWKWIND THIS IS HAWKWIND DON'T PANIC DBL LP FLICKNIFE 022 PSYCH US $23.99 Buy It Now 21h 46m
HAWKWIND - Chronicles Of The Black Sword -UK Vinyl LP +Inner + TOUR PROGRAMME VG US $3.48 [5 bids]
HAWKWIND SHOT DOWN IN THE NIGHT SEALED US $30.99 [0 bids]
23h
Hawkwind - Silver Machine - UK - 1983 - 7" Picture Disc - NM US $16.00 Buy It Now 23h 31m
HAWKWIND - WEIRD TAPES 2 HAWKWIND LIVE / HAWKLORDS STUDIO (NEW SEALED) CD Prog US $10.21 Buy It Now 23h 32m
HELIOS CREED deep blue love vacuum 2LP SEALED chrome hawkwind space psych US $15.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND/ASTRALASIA - THE HAWKWIND REMIXES - NEW CD US $11.83 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - STRANGE DAZE '97 - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.30 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - SELF TITLED (1ST ALBUM) LP - SUNSET RECORDS 1970 US $6.80 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - Warrior On The Edge Of Time, ORIGINAL 1975 UK SHIELD LP/inner US $15.32 [0 bids]
NIK TURNER Ex-Hawkwind Space Gypsy T-Shirt Mens size XXL (double X ) US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Born to Be Wild III Boston Deep Purple Foreigner Hawkwind Judas Priest + CD US $10.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Weird Tapes 3: Free Festivals Hawkwind CD US $50.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind:Atomhenge Japan Promo Poster[no mini-lp cd hawklords vdgg dave brock Q US $28.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator:Least Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd hawkwind Q US $118.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Leave No Star Unturned: Cambridge January 1972 [Analog] Hawkwind LP Record US $81.95 Buy It Now 1 day
ROBERT CALVERT Captain Lockheed Hawkwind UK lp original US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - ONWARD [HAWKWIND] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Warrior on the Edge of.. Hawkwind CD US $60.06 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND Collectors Series Vol.2 Live 1982 2 CD (2011) *NEW & SEALED US $11.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind IN SEARCH OF SPACE 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed COLORED Vinyl 2 LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Slip Album: Krankschaft (Robert Calvert) : The Flame Red Superstar : Hawkwind US $28.07 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - LIVE SEVENTY NINE - BONUS TRACKS (EXPANDED) NEW CD US $34.18 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME - BONUS TRACK NEW CD US $34.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind SELF TITLED Debut Album +4 Bonus Songs GATEFOLD 180g NEW VINYL 2 LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME [BONUS CD/DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET US $25.09 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND Warrior on the edge of time Vinyl LP UAG 29766 1975 SHIELD COVER US $136.32 Buy It Now 1 day
BRADO POND & KINSKI HAWKWIND TRIBUTE 7" SINGLE 2008 RARE HTF OOP LIMITED EDITION US $50.00 [0 bids]
ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE & WHITE HILLS HAWKWIND TRIBUTE 7" SINGLE 2008 RARE HTF OOP US $45.00 [0 bids]
MUDHONEY & MUDSTAR HAWKWIND TRIBUTE 7" SINGLE 2008 RARE HTF OOP LIMITED EDITION US $45.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind live concert London 3 September 1989 very small poster print A5 size US $25.55 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy HAWKWIND music online Buy HAWKWIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAWKWIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe ratings distribution

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars I bought this compilation when the band's discography was still unknown to me, and I must admit that I see this as quite useless album. Few picks from their "Space Ritual" double live album, and Lemmy's proto-MOTÖRHEAD song from "The Hall of The Mountain Grill". I would like to see a HAWKWIND compilation with some essential tracks around... But I guess I'll never manage to do that!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#25662) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Trotsky
3 stars A piecemeal compilation this, comprising tracks from the 1971-1974 period. As such it does a far more thorough job of summing one period of Hawkwind's music than the other compilation I own, Epocheclipse: The Ultimate Best Of, which tries to condense nearly 30 years of music into 18 tracks, and ends up pleasing nobody. Even though I'm not fond of the performances of some of these songs on the Space Ritual album, I do enjoy this presentation of the studio versions of Master Of The Universe, Brainstorm and the oh-so- insistent Orgone Accumulator.

The subtle, sweeping sound affects that colour the pieces here (and got lost on Space Ritual) make Masters Of The Universe a worthwhile introduction to the more improvisation- orientated side of Hawkwind, although I'd still recommend heading directly to the superior Hall of The Mountain Grill or Warrior On The Edge Of Time albums. I could do without the Robert Calvert poetic rants (although I do admit that this one, Sonic Attack is the very best of them) while It's So Easy is an atypical song that takes a dreamy start and turns into a borderline glam-rock tune, albeit one with a psych guitar-freak out stuck in the middle! To round things off, we have Lost Johnny, a driving biker anthem that is bassist Lemmy Kilminster's finest moment.

This 40 minute trip works quite well, and made me realise that with Hawkwind, the dosage is of particular importance. Too much of the good thing turns me off, but I'm always tuned in to this. ... 52% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#44634) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2005

Review by loserboy
3 stars So I will admit right up front that Hawkwind were not and are still not my favourite band but my good friend Bob Turnbull has gotten me more and more into this band's music and being a sucker for good albums I picked up "Masters of The Universe" ! This is a pretty cool album and manages to really draw up that old space-prog rock senses with tracks like the 10 Mins Orgone Accumulator and the 11 Mins Brainstorm epic numbers. This was I guess the most interesting version of hawkwind with Nik Turner, Dave Brock, Mr Kilminster, Bob Calvert and Mick Farren . Musically this album showcases the spaced out contributions of heavy bass, drum and keyboard trio with wild vocals and assorted musical instruments. The album runs like a wild nightmare!

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#85741) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars A compilation for those who are not initiated into the Hawkwind universe.

I am a serious Hawkwind fan and love most of their early works and some later albums. I am especially fond of 'Space Ritual' and 'In search of Space, 'Doremi Fasol Latido' and 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' among others such as the first album. So I was eager to pick up this CD to see what some of the tracks I had heard live are like as studio versions.

The vinyl may have been one of the best compilations in the late 70s of the band, but the CD does not warn that it is a compilation in any way! It does not warn that two of the tracks are live and directly taken from 'Space Ritual'. So instead of getting new tracks to add to the collection I was inundated with the same stuff I already have. Any Hawkwind fan would no doubt have the aforementioned albums as they are the classics that launched this incredible band. So the CD is absolutely worthless to the Hawkwind addict. Though it has a nice cover so if you see it in the $1 Bin - get it! There are no other pictures to redeem it either. It doesnt even have a booklet.

Let's see what the CD offers shall we?

1. Master of the universe - an excellent track, OK! - But its on every compilation as well as many CDs as a bonus track so that is not worth buying this CD.

2. Brainstorm - Terrific track but once again on many compilations and easy to obtain.

3. Sonic attack - ho hum - its the same as 'Space Ritual'.

4. Orgone accumulator - brilliant track - my favourite Hawkwind track of all time and the reason I bought this album.... BUT - its the same as 'Space Ritual'. There was no warning on the sleeve that this was a live version so I was bitterly disappointed. Did they record this as a studio version? 5. It's so easy - this is on the classic albums and not much of a track really.

6. Lost Johnny - Great track BUT its on 'Hall of Mountain Grill'.

So if you are after a Hawkwind compilation get 'EpochEclipse' or 'Psychedelic Warlords' instead.

I wasted my money and I was furious so I took it back to the CD seller who actually let me buy a different CD to replace this one (thanks JB).

If not, I would have been using this CD as an expensive coffee coaster.

This is definitely for the Hawkwind newbie. I would suggest though to ditch this, and get the first 6 albums, "Chronicle of the Black Sword" "Space Ritual" and the latest release "Blood of the Earth" instead. That is really the best of Hawkwind!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#178982) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

3 stars "Masters of the Universe" is just one of many compilations created to capture the Hawkwind sound. While the compilation is not accurate as a portrait of the band's early period, it does capture the dark and heavy dimension of their sound. The main reasons to buy this compilation would be to in ... (read more)

Report this review (#992201) | Posted by The Mystical | Friday, July 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The most cohesive introduction to Hawkwind's United Artists years from 1971-74 for the money when it was released on vinyl in 1977. This compilation with it's freaked out cover of a wizard and his apprentice contemplating a mystical kingdom was also released on CD in '89 and was one of the few Hawkw ... (read more)

Report this review (#400521) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Monday, February 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the Album which began my seemingly endless meandering into the Space-Rock of the mighty Hawks.Hence the 4 stars...it's personal (-.o) I backtracked from this excellent compilation, then worked my way forwards (in terms of purchasing albums). Hawkwind are by no means techinically superb ... (read more)

Report this review (#25661) | Posted by NyghtOwl | Tuesday, June 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAWKWIND "Masters of the Universe"