MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

Hawkwind Masters of the Universe album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy HAWKWIND Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1977

1. Master of the universe (6:19)
2. Brainstorm (10:45)
3. Sonic attack (3:00)
4. Orgone accumulator (10:01)
5. It's so easy (5:21)
6. Lost Johnny (3:28)

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe lyrics

Search HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe tabs

- Dave Anderson / bass, guitars (1)
- Dave Brock / lead vocals, guitars, synthesizers
- Del Dettmar / synthesizers
- Dik Mik / audio generator & electronics (1 to 5)
- Simon House / keyboards (6)
- Lemmy Kilminster / bass, vocals, guitars (2 to 6)
- Simon King / drums, percussion (2 to 6)
- Terry Ollis / drums, percussion (1)
- Nik turner / sax, flute, vocals

LP United Artists UAG 30025 (1977)

LP/CD Harvest / Fame FA 3220 (1989)

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

HAWKWIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe Music

Warrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded EditionWarrior On The Edge Of Time - Expanded Edition
Cleopatra 2013
HawkwindHawkwind
Remastered
Parallel UniverseParallel Universe
EMI Import 2011
HAWKWIND - LOVE IN SPACE, 2009 UK 2CD +3 BONUS, REMASTERED, NEW - SEALED! US $28.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
7" HAWKWIND "KERB CRAWLER/HONKY DORKY" 70'S ROCK US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 13m
HAWKWIND-LIVE SEVENTY NINE (BRONZE) US $5.10 Buy It Now 1h 33m
HAWKWIND - CHURCH OF HAWKWIND - NEW CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Motorhead Keep Us On The Road UK CD NEW 1991 Rare Live Album 1977 Lemmy Hawkwind US $29.95 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Palace Springs by Hawkwind (CD, Oct-1991, Roadrunner Records) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
HAWKWIND 'THE FLICKNIFE YEARS : 1981-1988' 5 CD SET (2014) US $44.12 Buy It Now 3h 55m
HAWKWIND Official Merchandise Ceramic Mug Boxed New DOREMI US $16.98 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Hawkwind Space Ritual Nik Turner Terry Ollis bass drum skin 2003 tour artefact US $79.90 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Hawkwind Space Ritual Nik Turner 2001 to 2003 42 inch sq dayglo tour board US $357.01 Buy It Now 5h 36m
HAWKWIND - IN SEARCH OF SPACE CD EMI UK IMPORT NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE CD PUTSE/KAZ RECORDS UK IMPORT NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - STASIS THE UA YEARS 1971-1975 CD EMI UK IMPORT NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - THE BEST OF PSYCHEDELIC WARLORDS CD CLEOPATRA NM US $4.99 [1 bids]
Hawkwind - PXR5 Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD HQCD 24bit +8 Bonus Tracks NEW US $44.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
HAWKWIND S/T LP U.S. PRESS 1970 PSYCHEDELIC MASTERPIECE NM PINK FLOYD US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Hawkwind Live Chronicles Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD HQCD 24bit Limited Edition NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Golden Void 1969-1979 by Hawkwind (CD, Feb-1999, 2 Discs, Purple... US $7.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - The Chronicle of the Black Sword Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD HQCD NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
HAWKWIND Doremi Fasol Latido LP album gray color vinyl!! OOP grey BIB, MINT!! US $39.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
HAWKWIND In Search of Space (2X) LP WHITE color vinyl album!! OOP BIB, MINT!! US $39.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
HAWKWIND - Masters Of The Universe (reissue) - LP US $36.53 Buy It Now 8h 3m
HAWKWIND - DISTANT HORIZONS [5013929632820] - NEW CD US $17.96 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Hawkwind, Alan Davey, Heavy Metal Music, Space Rock, CD US $18.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Dawn Of Hawkwind CD NEW SEALED US $8.48 Buy It Now 8h 56m
1973 UK Orig. HAWKWIND 2LP "THE SPACE RITUAL" EX Cond. US $37.40 [14 bids]
Hawkwind, Alan Davey, Heavy Metal Music, Space Rock, CD, Import US $18.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind: The Text Of Festival Live 1970-2 CD 2009 Eastworld Candlelight USA NEW US $6.95 Buy It Now 9h 11m
HAWKWIND - PALACE SPRINGS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $40.23 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Hawkwind: Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin CD 2008 NEW US $6.95 Buy It Now 9h 14m
Hawkwind "Angels Of Death" 1982 German RCA Records LP US $8.50 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Hawkwind - Live Chronicles NEW CD US $20.84 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Hawkwind, Allan Davey, Heavy Metal Music, Space Rock, CD, Import US $18.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind, Allan Davey, Louis Davey, Heavy Metal Music, CD, Import US $15.00 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - SPACEHAWKS [803341409545] - NEW CD US $12.63 Buy It Now 9h 34m
British Steel 1984 Compilation LP Vinyl Record Venom Hawkwind Rox Motorhead Port US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h
Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness & Charm Japan Mini LP Sleeve 2 CD HQCD NEW US $44.99 Buy It Now 10h 55m
HAWKWIND ANTHOLOGY VOL. II SAMURAI RARE 1987 TAPE NEW!! US $5.08 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Hawkwind - Spirit Of The Age - An Antholo NEW Box Set US $29.46 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Hawkwind - Space Ritual US $55.00 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Hawkwind - The Business Trip NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 12h 22m
Hawkwind - Church Of Hawkwind NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Hawkwind - The Dream Goes On - From The B NEW Box Set US $29.46 Buy It Now 13h
Hawkwind - Live Seventy Nine NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 13h 13m
Hawkwind HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE New Sealed VINYL 2 LP US $31.50 [0 bids]
HAWKWIND - ELECTRIC TEEPEE - NEW CD US $15.67 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Hawkwind - The Xenon Codex NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Hawkwind - Pxr 5 NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Hawkwind - Alien 4 NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 13h 57m
HAWKWIND - Doremi Fasol Latido - LP 1-st UK ex- US $29.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind Hawkwind CD US $9.50 [0 bids]
MICHAEL MOORCOCK & DEEP FIX NEW WORLD'S FAIR UK 1975 HAWKWIND BROCK HOUSE KING US $79.93 Buy It Now 14h 9m
Hawkwind Friends And Relations - Best Of NEW CD US $13.04 Buy It Now 14h 9m
Hawkwind 2 Album Set - Levitation and Hawkwind Live 2 CDS US $5.00 [0 bids]
Hawkwind - Space Bandits NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Hawkwind - Astounding Sounds; Amazing Mus NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 14h 29m
Hawkwind - Kerb Crawler / Honky Dorky 7" US $5.10 Buy It Now 14h 34m
ROBERT CALVERT LUCKY LEIF & THE LONGSHIPS UK '75 1st PRESS HAWKWIND PINK FAIRIES US $61.12 Buy It Now 14h 39m
Hawkwind Light Orchestra - Stellar Variations NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 14h 42m
AMON DUUL Fool Moon NEW CD Düül Remaster PROG (Hawkwind Van der Graaf Generator) US $6.99 [0 bids]
AMON DUUL II HAWK MEETS PENGUIN KRAUTROCK psych prog '82 uk hawkwind NM LP RARE! US $99.00 Buy It Now 15h 2m
HAWKWIND - P.X.R.5 [BONUS TRACKS 2009] - NEW CD US $13.77 Buy It Now 15h 38m
HOLGER CZUKAY RARE DER OSTEN IST ROT TAPE CAN kraftwerk neu hawkwind pink floyd US $14.99 [0 bids]
CD: Urban Guerilla - Hawkwind - Sealed US $15.28 Buy It Now 16h 41m
Motorhead-Overkill-Picture disc-Italian import-Hawkwind-Ramones US $15.00 [1 bids]
HAWKWIND - XENON CODEX [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $14.04 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Levitation/Hawkwind/new cd/Ginger Baker/1 cd 10 trk ed. US $30.00 Buy It Now 17h 51m
Gong Expresso Promo 1st Press 1976 USA LP Planet Gong Soft Machine Hawkwind NM US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 16m
HAWKLORDS (HAWKWIND) 25 Years On - Charisma in NM/NM condition! w/inner bag! US $59.99 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Hawkwind ?Shot Down In The Night [Live U.K. 1979] Vinyl Lovers ?2/ LP 90081 US $26.99 [0 bids]
Hawkwind live concert London 19th December 2007 very small poster print A5 size US $25.48 Buy It Now 19h
Hawkwind - Astounding Sounds Amazing Music CD US $18.33 Buy It Now 19h
HAWKWIND levitation JAPAN LP 1981 NM VIP-6752 US $23.00 Buy It Now 21h 29m
HAWKWIND Shot Down In The Night 2x180g Vinyl MINT EU US $45.99 Buy It Now 21h 44m
HAWKWIND - Astounding Sounds Amazing Music ~ VINYL LP US $19.43 Buy It Now 21h 58m
HAWKWIND - SPACEHAWKS, ORG 2013 UK 180G COLOURED vinyl 2LP, 1000 COPIES! SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h
HAWKWIND The Business Trip: Live CD NEW & SEALED US $20.32 Buy It Now 22h 2m
HAWKWIND-DOREMI FASOL LATIDO-JAPAN ISSUE +OBI iii US $217.99 Buy It Now 22h 23m
ROBERT CALVERT Captain Lockheed and the starfighters '74 LP w/book Hawkwind oop US $55.00 Buy It Now 22h 28m
HAWKWIND - ZONES, 2013 UK 180G COLOURED vinyl 2LP, 1000 COPIES! NEW - SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 30m
HAWKWIND-ASTOUNDING SOUNDS,AMAZING MUSIC-JAPAN ISSUE PROMO WHITE LABEL iii US $99.99 Buy It Now 22h 58m
Hawkwind Light Orchestra - Stellar Variations CD CLEOPATRA -- E1 -- US $18.33 Buy It Now 23h 12m
HAWKWIND - SPACE CHASE 1980-1985 - NEW CD US $18.80 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - EPOCH ECLIPSE: THE ULTIMATE BEST OF HAWKWIND - NEW CD US $8.17 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - Silver machine - 7" single US $8.31 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND anthology volume ii (2) SAMR 039 A1/B1 1st press uk 1986 LP PS EX+/EX US $28.17 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - THE XENON CODEX, 2014 UK 180G COLOURED vinyl 2LP, 1000 COPIES! NEW! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind Spacehawks (Ltd Edition 2 x 180g Grey Vinyl-only 1,000!) New US $32.28 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - DAWN OF HAWKWIND (NEW & SEALED) CD Dave Brock #5060230860527 US $5.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Blood of the Earth CD by Hawkwind Dave Brock + Return of Legendary Space Rangers US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind - Love in Space IECP-20185/186 HQ CD Mini LP Japan +OBI US $44.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind - Sonic Attack IECP-20202/203 HQ CD Mini LP Japan +OBI US $49.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind - Alien 4 IECP-10234 HQ CD Mini LP Japan +OBI US $29.80 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND Epoch Eclipse: The Ultimate Best of EMI CD Prog Psych Silver Machine US $4.20 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND - IN CONCERT: OUT OF THE SHADOWS - NEW CD US $12.11 Buy It Now 1 day
* HAWKWIND DOREMI FASOL LATIDO / JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SAMPLE US $32.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Hawkwind - The Business Trip (NEW CD) US $19.96 Buy It Now 1 day
HAWKWIND SILVERMACHINE / 7INCH 45RPM / SEVEN BY SEVEN US $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy HAWKWIND music online Buy HAWKWIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAWKWIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe ratings distribution

HAWKWIND Masters of the Universe reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars I bought this compilation when the band's discography was still unknown to me, and I must admit that I see this as quite useless album. Few picks from their "Space Ritual" double live album, and Lemmy's proto-MOTÖRHEAD song from "The Hall of The Mountain Grill". I would like to see a HAWKWIND compilation with some essential tracks around... But I guess I'll never manage to do that!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#25662) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Trotsky
3 stars A piecemeal compilation this, comprising tracks from the 1971-1974 period. As such it does a far more thorough job of summing one period of Hawkwind's music than the other compilation I own, Epocheclipse: The Ultimate Best Of, which tries to condense nearly 30 years of music into 18 tracks, and ends up pleasing nobody. Even though I'm not fond of the performances of some of these songs on the Space Ritual album, I do enjoy this presentation of the studio versions of Master Of The Universe, Brainstorm and the oh-so- insistent Orgone Accumulator.

The subtle, sweeping sound affects that colour the pieces here (and got lost on Space Ritual) make Masters Of The Universe a worthwhile introduction to the more improvisation- orientated side of Hawkwind, although I'd still recommend heading directly to the superior Hall of The Mountain Grill or Warrior On The Edge Of Time albums. I could do without the Robert Calvert poetic rants (although I do admit that this one, Sonic Attack is the very best of them) while It's So Easy is an atypical song that takes a dreamy start and turns into a borderline glam-rock tune, albeit one with a psych guitar-freak out stuck in the middle! To round things off, we have Lost Johnny, a driving biker anthem that is bassist Lemmy Kilminster's finest moment.

This 40 minute trip works quite well, and made me realise that with Hawkwind, the dosage is of particular importance. Too much of the good thing turns me off, but I'm always tuned in to this. ... 52% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#44634) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2005

Review by loserboy
3 stars So I will admit right up front that Hawkwind were not and are still not my favourite band but my good friend Bob Turnbull has gotten me more and more into this band's music and being a sucker for good albums I picked up "Masters of The Universe" ! This is a pretty cool album and manages to really draw up that old space-prog rock senses with tracks like the 10 Mins Orgone Accumulator and the 11 Mins Brainstorm epic numbers. This was I guess the most interesting version of hawkwind with Nik Turner, Dave Brock, Mr Kilminster, Bob Calvert and Mick Farren . Musically this album showcases the spaced out contributions of heavy bass, drum and keyboard trio with wild vocals and assorted musical instruments. The album runs like a wild nightmare!

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#85741) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars A compilation for those who are not initiated into the Hawkwind universe.

I am a serious Hawkwind fan and love most of their early works and some later albums. I am especially fond of 'Space Ritual' and 'In search of Space, 'Doremi Fasol Latido' and 'Hall of the Mountain Grill' among others such as the first album. So I was eager to pick up this CD to see what some of the tracks I had heard live are like as studio versions.

The vinyl may have been one of the best compilations in the late 70s of the band, but the CD does not warn that it is a compilation in any way! It does not warn that two of the tracks are live and directly taken from 'Space Ritual'. So instead of getting new tracks to add to the collection I was inundated with the same stuff I already have. Any Hawkwind fan would no doubt have the aforementioned albums as they are the classics that launched this incredible band. So the CD is absolutely worthless to the Hawkwind addict. Though it has a nice cover so if you see it in the $1 Bin - get it! There are no other pictures to redeem it either. It doesnt even have a booklet.

Let's see what the CD offers shall we?

1. Master of the universe - an excellent track, OK! - But its on every compilation as well as many CDs as a bonus track so that is not worth buying this CD.

2. Brainstorm - Terrific track but once again on many compilations and easy to obtain.

3. Sonic attack - ho hum - its the same as 'Space Ritual'.

4. Orgone accumulator - brilliant track - my favourite Hawkwind track of all time and the reason I bought this album.... BUT - its the same as 'Space Ritual'. There was no warning on the sleeve that this was a live version so I was bitterly disappointed. Did they record this as a studio version? 5. It's so easy - this is on the classic albums and not much of a track really.

6. Lost Johnny - Great track BUT its on 'Hall of Mountain Grill'.

So if you are after a Hawkwind compilation get 'EpochEclipse' or 'Psychedelic Warlords' instead.

I wasted my money and I was furious so I took it back to the CD seller who actually let me buy a different CD to replace this one (thanks JB).

If not, I would have been using this CD as an expensive coffee coaster.

This is definitely for the Hawkwind newbie. I would suggest though to ditch this, and get the first 6 albums, "Chronicle of the Black Sword" "Space Ritual" and the latest release "Blood of the Earth" instead. That is really the best of Hawkwind!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#178982) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008

3 stars "Masters of the Universe" is just one of many compilations created to capture the Hawkwind sound. While the compilation is not accurate as a portrait of the band's early period, it does capture the dark and heavy dimension of their sound. The main reasons to buy this compilation would be to in ... (read more)

Report this review (#992201) | Posted by The Mystical | Friday, July 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The most cohesive introduction to Hawkwind's United Artists years from 1971-74 for the money when it was released on vinyl in 1977. This compilation with it's freaked out cover of a wizard and his apprentice contemplating a mystical kingdom was also released on CD in '89 and was one of the few Hawkw ... (read more)

Report this review (#400521) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Monday, February 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the Album which began my seemingly endless meandering into the Space-Rock of the mighty Hawks.Hence the 4 stars...it's personal (-.o) I backtracked from this excellent compilation, then worked my way forwards (in terms of purchasing albums). Hawkwind are by no means techinically superb ... (read more)

Report this review (#25661) | Posted by NyghtOwl | Tuesday, June 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAWKWIND "Masters of the Universe"