IN YOUR AREA

- Jerry Richards / guitar, keyboards
- Captain Rizz / vocals
- Crum / keyboards

Griffin Music GCD 740-2

HAWKWIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAWKWIND In Your Area Music

CD in search of space ~ USD $12.28
LP onward ~ USD $24.69
LP shot down in the night - live uk 1979 ~ USD $21.32
LP space ritual 1 ~ USD $24.69

More places to buy HAWKWIND music online Buy HAWKWIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAWKWIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAWKWIND In Your Area ratings distribution

HAWKWIND In Your Area reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
2 stars I think that it was opening song "Brainstorm" had turned into a reggae number that I first started to think to myself, "What the hell has happened to Hawkwind?" I remember seeing them in concert in the early Eighties and being blown away by their power. "Brainstorm" is a Nik Turner classic, and such deserves some respect, surely? Yes, I know that bands have to move and not stand still, but if they don't respect something why bother with it at all? My feelings about the whole album were somewhat clouded after that which is a shame as I like Hawkwind. This album contains six live and eight new studio songs, although it doesn't say when it was recorded. As well as the inevitable Dave Brock, the rest of the band now comprises Richard Chadwick, Ron Tree, Jerry Richards, Capt. Rizz and Crum. The introduction to "Love In Space" sounds as if it belongs on 'Dark Side Of The Moon' instead of an album of the band that gave us 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm'.

Thank heavens it turns into a definitive 'Wind rocker with swirling keyboards and driving guitars. This is one of the few songs which features Dave on vocals, and one of only three that he wrote with no co-writers, so perhaps it is no surprise that it comes across eventually as true Hawkwind.

The album fluctuates dramatically, with some songs coming across well, while others are just sad reflections of what Hawkwind once were. One for fans only I'm afraid.

Feedback #58, May 2000

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#145876) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 19, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars It is not the first time that "Hawkwind" is mixing studio and live tracks. The very good "Palace Springs" was a good example of what could be achieved by this approach.

And even if the live tracks (the first six numbers) were recorded in my home country (at the "Ancienne Belgique" which is a legendary concert hall in Brussels which list of artists who have played there is absolutely impressive) I am a lot more skeptic about this one.

To have integrate a reggae part into the otherwise great "Brainstorm" is beyond my reach. I like reggae while played by "Culture" or "Steel Pulse", but I don't really need "Hawkwind" to do so. The other live tracks are fully on the heavy-hard-space-rock side of the band.

Comparisons with "Palace Springs" don't work in favour with this rather average "In Your Area". Very few great moments are available being live or studio tracks. "Diana Park" is probably the best one gets here, but it is .the closing song.

This is just an album for die-hard fans. Not deserving the one star rating but definitely no more than two.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#173912) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 14, 2008

2 stars Confusing. That's the way I'd sum up this album. Starting with a version of the seminal Brainstorm which segues into a dreadful white reggae jam is not a good start. Listening to Love In Space now which although starting like a distant cousin of Zarozinia, soon takes a rockier direction......al ... (read more)

Report this review (#387159) | Posted by raggleman | Thursday, January 27, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Experimentation is a funny thing. You can't predict what's going to happen. Which is precisely why it's called "an experiment". Few bands are as willing and eager to experiment as Hawkwind, and In Your Area presents them in that mode, tossing in reggae and Jamaican dancehall elements, lush am ... (read more)

Report this review (#98442) | Posted by kingpossum | Sunday, November 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The albums quite an experiment for Dave Brock to be honest and i found the whole album quite refreshing,some decent ambient songs like Luxotica are mixed with some cool songs like "Rat-Race" and "Reptoid Vision",in fact the latter has become one of my favourite songs. All round it's worth a l ... (read more)

Report this review (#64476) | Posted by | Friday, January 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars A recording that is far too experimental, this CD contains some very strange songs which most Hawkwind fans will certainly NOT LIKE. Brainstorm is OK. In Your Area is a rubbish reggae song and having Captain Rizz on a Hawkwind CD is a huge mistake because he is absolutely dreadful. The first ... (read more)

Report this review (#52090) | Posted by | Monday, October 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAWKWIND "In Your Area"