UNDER A BINARY TREE

Buy PURPLE Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. The Ebony Queen
- Theme From A Dream
- In The Court Of The Ebony Queen (Playing Mixed Doubles)
- Lost In A Monochrome Desert
- The Dining Philosophers

Search PURPLE Under a Binary Tree lyrics

Search PURPLE Under a Binary Tree tabs

- Dan Hodgson / all instruments

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PURPLE Under a Binary Tree Music

HASSLES: Hour Of The Wolf LP (purple/orange label, gatefold cover, cw) Rock US $25.00 Buy It Now 29m 48s
DEEP PURPLE SLAVES AND MASTERS CD MINI LP OBI US $15.34 Buy It Now 34m 35s
HENRY'S FUNERAL SHOE - Everything's For Sale -PURPLE ltd ed ( great UK guitar p US $13.99 Buy It Now 34m 42s
DEEP PURPLE WHEN WE ROCK, WE ROCK AND WHEN WE ROLL, WE ROLL CD MINI LP OBI US $15.34 Buy It Now 34m 49s
DEEPEST PURPLE - THE VERY BEST OF DEEP PURPLE CD - 1980 WB RECORDS US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 35s
JIMI HENDRIX - PURPLE HAZE / FOXEY LADY - 1ST PRESSING - 1F - REPRISE 0728 US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 4s
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are record album Rock and Roll US $7.99 Buy It Now 41m 33s
Foy Willing & The Riders of The Purple Sage - 10" Mono LP, 33-1/3 - Royale 1807 US $4.99 [0 bids]
53m 54s
DEEP PURPLE : Come Hell Or High Water CD (1997) US $7.66 Buy It Now 54m 38s
A DAY TO REMEMBER All I Want 7" PURPLE VINYL w/ ETCHED B-SIDE pierce the veil US $3.25 [5 bids]
55m 26s
Deep Purple Shades of Deep Purple 12" LP Reissue 1997 US $17.00 [0 bids]
55m 42s
DEEP PURPLE When We Rock We Rock and When We Roll We Roll NM 1978 Metal LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
55m 52s
Various - Remachined a tribute to Deep Purple 12" LP US $14.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN EUROPE (LTD) (180GM) NEW VINYL US $41.23 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Christmas 45 Lou Rawls Little Drummer Boy / Child With a toy 7" vinyl PURPLE US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
VG+ 1973 Deep Purple Made In Japan 2 LP Albums US $3.99 [1 bids]
Stone Temple Pilots / Purple (CD) Paul Leary, Scott Weiland, Robert DeLeo GREAT US $1.29 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Deep Purple - Miss Molly At University (2-CD Set - Bondage Music Bon165/166) US $24.95 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - SCANDINAVIAN NIGHTS STOCKHOLM 1970 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $69.39 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Deep Purple - King Of Dreams (1990 3-Track German CD-Single - RCA PD 49248) US $14.95 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Pop Deux 1970 (2000 GAEA7810/SP-14259) US $9.95 [0 bids]
The War On Drugs * Lost In The Dream * New Sealed Limited Purple Vinyl * OOP US $66.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE THE BOOK OF TALIESYN MEGA RARE WHITE LABEL TETRAGRAMMATON T-107 NM US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
GROOVIE GHOULIES - World Contact Day LP 1996 Lookout NM/NM Purple Vinyl PUNK US $14.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 2 Cassettes Lot USA Print - no heep sabbath dio heavy metal US $3.98 [0 bids]
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE Lullabies To Paralyze 2x LP Purple Orange Vinyl Original US $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
LA VERN BAKER Saved ATLANTIC RECORDS (Purple & Orange label) US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head Anniversary 2CD Edition Unissued Guitar Solos / Booklet US $19.69 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Stupid Fuckin' Hippie River b/w Meadow 7" EX 1993 PURPLE VINYL US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Nino Tempo & April Stevens 45 Deep Purple / I've Been Carrying record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 51m
The Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim Rare Purple Marble Vinyl LP US $20.00 [1 bids]
CKY B Sides And Rarities (Purple and Red Vinyl) Rare! Best offer US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
PRINCE AND THE REVOLUTION "PURPLE RAIN" RARE!! SEALED!!! RCA MUSIC SVC PRESSING US $40.00 [0 bids]
2h
DEEP PURPLE Come Hell Or High Water JAPAN CD w/OBI+SLIP CASE+BOOKLET BVCP-766 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h
Rock DEEP PURPLE Perfect Strangers NM 824003 EB859 US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Nino Tempo April Stevens 45 Deep Purple / Sweet and Lovely record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 4m
1998 Deep Purple Smoke On The Water Music CD Album Polygram Records 10 Tracks US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DEEP PURPLE KNOCKING AT YOUR BACK DOOR THE BEST JAPAN CD POCP-1149 W/STICKER US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DEEP PURPLE NOBODY'S PERFECT (1988) JAPAN CD P32P20182 US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
DEEP PURPLE PURPLE PASSAGES (1972) JAPAN CD WPCP-5696 US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
WONDER YEARS Won't Be Pathetic Forever 7" PURPLE/WHITE VINYL rare oop UNPLAYED US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
PATHE 036220-BEN SELVIN /DON ONIVAS- LET ME LINGER LONGER / IN THE PURPLE TWILIG US $7.99 [0 bids]
GILLAN & GLOVER ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE (1988) JAPAN CD IAN ROGER DEEP PURPLE US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
JON LORD GEMINI SUITE (1971) WEST GERMANY CD DEEP PURPLE US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS -Purple, Stone Temple Pilots, Acceptable US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Down IV, Pt. 1: The Purple EP by Down *New CD* US $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Cream Disraeli Gears VG+ 1967 Orig Tan & Purple Atco Strange Brew Eric Clapton US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
DEEP PURPLE_Who Do We Think We Are!_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 33m
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are 180 gr vinyl LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DEEP PURPLE Last Concert in Japan 1975 vinyl LP Germany tommy bolin SEALED US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
1969 HARVEST Deep Purple LP Gatefold Made In GREECE BOSCH Cover Guy Evans CLEAN US $29.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DEEP PURPLE The Book Of Taliesyn purple colored vinyl LP 2006 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Purple Rain by Prince (CD, Jan-1984, Warner Bros.) US $11.69 Buy It Now 2h 40m
DEEP PURPLE fireball HARVEST LP Textured Sleeve/Insert/Harvest Inner A-2U/B-3U S US $64.39 Buy It Now 2h 40m
UV Race Autonomy & Deliberation purple vinyl lp In the Red Records Birthday Part US $11.99 [0 bids]
1955 CHUCK WILLIS 78 rpm Okeh ONE MORE BREAK I Can Tell Clean Purple Labl SINGLE US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Vintage Country Western 78 rpm SWEET VIOLET BOYS Down On The Farm OKEH Purple US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Deep Purple : Friends and Relatives (2CDs) (2002) US $7.15 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Beach House - Lazuli - 7" Vinyl - Purple BELLA UNION Edition US $32.18 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Made in Europe Analog Warner Press, EXC ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $25.60 Buy It Now 2h 47m
DEEP PURPLE/ TOTAL ABANDON - 2 VCD US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
blake babies ladies with an attitude 7" purple vinyl australia US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Frank Zappa - Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em (2x Purple Vinyl LP) BRAND NEW, SEALED US $54.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
DEEP PURPLE S/T 3RD LP HARVEST SWEDEN NM US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
VANILLA FUDGE SELF TITLED LP PURPLE AND GOLD ATCO LABEL 712 US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Nat King Cole Trio I've Got a Way with Women 78 VG+++ Don't Blame Me Orig Purple US $10.16 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Purple World [PA] by Big Moe (CD, Apr-2002, Priority) US $0.99 [0 bids]
MIKA MIKO Original 2006 LP PURPLE VINYL poster MINT RARE! Best Coast Bleached US $28.98 [0 bids]
PURPLE MUSIC PRESENTS: THE MASTER COLLECTION, VOL. 3 - NEW CD US $36.51 Buy It Now 3h 44m
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE AT MONTREUX 2011 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $24.18 Buy It Now 3h 55m
DEEP PURPLE Stormbringer original 1974 U.S. pressing WB U.K. prog psych rock US $6.99 [0 bids]
HEAR Billy Joe Royal Down In The Boondocks Columbia 43305 WLP Promo Purple Wax US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Hole "Beautiful Son" German Import Purple Vinyl Single 45RPM US $19.49 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Prince Purple Melody Dance Pop Vinyl 12" US $5.00 [0 bids]
BLITZKID 'FIVE CELLARS BELOW' 12" PURPLE VINYL- 2ND PRESSING**RARE!OUT OF PRINT! US $150.00 [0 bids]
Mr. Mister KYRIE kir-e-a Record 45 RPM 7" 1985 MINT Purple Record Vintage US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
WHITESNAKE - 'SNAKEBITE' U.S. CD - DAVID COVERDALE - DEEP PURPLE US $4.02 [1 bids]
DooWop 45RPM - Billy Ward & Dominoes - Deep Purple US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE smash hits US LP Reprise MS2025 purple haze NM- VINYL US $13.12 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Made in Japan by Deep Purple (Rock) (CD, Sep-1988, Deep Purple (Rock)BRAND NEW!! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Made Europe Japan Promo Vinyl LP Whitesnake US $89.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD Gatefold Atco LP LAST TIME AROUND Purple Brown labels US $24.77 Buy It Now 4h 30m
STP - Purple [ audio cassette ] US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
1976 - DEEP PURPLE - Made In Europe - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.47 Buy It Now 4h 38m
TRAFFIC Last Exit UNITED ARTISTS UAS 6702 Orange & Purple, Prog Psych LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
FANTASIA Back to me CD w/ CEE LO GREEN & I'm Here from THE COLOR PURPLE 2010 US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR Capitol Purple Label US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
MASTODON remission 2xLP PURPLE VINYL 1/500 baroness neurosis isis uncle acid yob US $39.99 [0 bids]
nrps Keep on Keepin' on New Riders of the Purple Sage CD 1989 mu records country US $12.00 [0 bids]
PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION PURPLE RAIN 1-25110 VINYL LP 1984 PLAYS GREAT VG++/VG!! US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
PRINCE Purple Rain extended mix / God 84 purple vinyl 12" dance single PROMO NM US $39.95 Buy It Now 4h 56m
ELO - Sweet Talkin Woman ~ 7" Single PS PURPLE VINYL US $6.79 Buy It Now 4h 57m
DEEP PURPLE-FIREBALL-DIFF RUSSIAN Extremely RARE LP MINT limited US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
DEEP PURPLE-SAME-1969-DIFF RUSSIAN Extremely RARE LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
DEEP PURPLE The Book Of Taliesyn Harvest gatefold lp U.K. prog hard rock 1968 US $18.99 [0 bids]
ROGER GLOVER "Love is all" RARE ITALIAN HOLECOVER 7"PROMO for JB - DEEP PURPLE US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
DEEP PURPLE - ICON NEW CD US $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 14m
PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION - Music from PURPLE RAIN - CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 5h 18m
PRINCE Purple Rain extended mix / God ltd ed purple vinyl SEALED with sticker US $79.95 Buy It Now 5h 18m
ROCK - DEEP PURPLE ,STEVIE NICKS,MARILLION,GARY MOORE,PAT BENATAR etc (CD 2004) US $5.96 [0 bids]

More places to buy PURPLE music online Buy PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PURPLE Under a Binary Tree ratings distribution

PURPLE Under a Binary Tree reviews

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars My feelings about this one-man project are controversial. There are some very good things joined together with other that I quite dislike, and all inside the same track. Before looking at this album's page I didn't know that the two 32 minutes long tracks were "officially" divided in subtracks (usual in prog), but I had already identified the "mathematical" structure of the two tracks.

Both are exactly 32 minutes long. The first is made of 8 subtracks with a duration of exactly 4 minutes, each of them made of two distinct portions of two minutes. The second track is made of only 4 parts of 8 minutes each.

I think we can consider this like a double sided vinyl with different tracks played gaplessly. Taken in this way the weight of the less good parts is lighter than if we consider "The Ebony Queen" as a single track.

The beginning is symphonic with clear reminds to Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade but with a theme which could fit into a western movie, especially in the second 2-minutes sub- section. A gong at exactly minute 4 introduces a section of acoustic guitar, bluesy but with some dissonances vaguely reminding me to Bo Hansson. The third subtrack starts with a subtle keyboard, then electric piano and bass for a part that alternates jazzy moments and classical influences. Again a gong but the transition is now smooth. Up to now what I have heard was good, now things start to worsen.This subtrack (the fifth) features piano and blueasy acoustic guitar on which a folky flute and what sounds like a concertina play something vaguely dissonant and really not much interesting. Then it's the turn of loops and tapestogether with a blues electric guitar. Usually I don't dislike tapes played reverse if their use is not excessive. Sometimes I find Anthony Phillips boring for the excess of reversed tapes. There's another reminder to Sheherazade and we are in the seventh subtrack, the worst in my opinion. A circus organ plays a waltz based on a trivial melody. In this case 4 minutes are really too much. The last 4 minutes are occupied by a blues guitar with some hints of classical. Not a good closer, but as I have said before, if we consider it as a standalone track it's not too bad.

Let's now go to the "Ivory Tower".

The first of the four let's call them "movements" is progressive electronic. Drone drumming with a keyboard layer with sounds between Edgar Froese and Rick Wakeman, a bit more oriented to the first but also in this case classical influences can be perceived. The fact that this movement is 8 minutes long is everything but disturbing, specially for a listener used to Tangerine Dream. The transition is made with some electronic noises, then the second movement is again classical inspired. Its sub-title "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" gives well the idea. The sound is mimic of a church organ. Let me define it as "Edgar Froese plays Criminal Record". So not bad at all, but there's a sudden break to the 8 minutes rule. Seashore sounds are used to bring us out of the cathedral into the bazaar...well, effectively the bazaar starts exactly at minute 12. Not as intense and experimental as the Grand Vizir garden party on Ummagumma, but interesting enough. Again little electronic noise are used for the transition to the third movement. A leslie organ plays a waltz on drone drums, then it changes to uptime. It's a good keys performance reminding of Rick Wakeman but it's made of several short pieces very disconnected, each of them quite good, but too short and with transitions which apparently haven't requested a big composing effort, thay are just transitions. It's a pity, but probably "The travelling Salesman" means that every short piece has to be considered as a different situation for the salesman it's about. Othe electronic low-volume noises introduce us to the final movement. The title is interesting: "The dining Philosopher" and this kind of electronics is something that I'm used to like,and I like it also this time. Between Tangerine Dream and Mike Oldfield, has some weak moments, like a descending sequence of organ chords which interrupts the track's continuity at minute 26:30 but it's an excellent electronic performance even with that weakness. It proceeds alternatin a funky sequence to pure electronics until the end.

In few words this is a double face album, not only because of the title. The first track is more acoustic and contains many guitar parts while the second track is mainly electronic and keyboard based. I would rate the first with 2 stars and the second with 4 (question of tastes, but apart of making "averages" I think that 3 stars are a good compromise in terms of rating.

I still have to check better the other two albums of this one man project but from the first listens I already have the impression that the formula is almost the same. Formula or not, the second track deserves some attention. There's not a specific reason why I started reviewing this album instead of any of the other two. Just a random choice.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#953255) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 03, 2013

Review by Windhawk
3 stars UK project PURPLE is the creative moniker of composer and musician Dan Hodgson. He started creating music to be released using this artistic name in 2007. As of 2013 three full length albums have been released by him, all of them downloadable for free from his website. "Under a Binary Tree" is the second of these, and was issued in 2009.

Hodgson's second album continues in a similar vein as his first one, but instead of one compositions consisting of twelve movements we're served two half hour long compositions on this occasion, the first consisting of eight movements and the second consisting of four. The compositions are rather different in style and expression too, and with a lot going on even within the individual movement.

The Ebony Queen, following a symphonic orchestra inspired opening with a theme then replicated rock band style, a series of constellations unfolds with a great variety in style. Two totally guitars driven pieces followed by a gentler piano and percussion based one, psychedelic guitars a central element in the initial phase of following one replaced by a more conventional guitar construction in the second half, uplifting presumably brass driven music of the kind that invites to circus associations is next up, and the guitars return again for a more jazz-flavored expression in the final movement. There are lots of minute details for the avid listener to enjoy too, like the minor thematic shifts every two minutes or thereabouts.

The Ivory Tower is a much more uniform creation, revolving around organ, keyboards, synthesizers, sequencers and sound effects. Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream are given nods along the way if I'm not much mistaken, and there's quite a few details that should please those with a soft spot for the so called Berlin School category of music I suspect. Again with a lot of minute details taking place in the individual movements, and perhaps with a bit more organ present that you'd find on compositions drawing upon similar sources of probable inspiration.

"Under a Binary Tree" is a fine album on many levels, but not everything is entertaining nor easy to enjoy, and not always in a good way at that. I suspect that people with a firm grasp of composition and composition techniques are the ones who'll find this album most rewarding, apart from those I'd suggest fans of progressive electronic music to give this album a spin due to the second and strongest composition The Ivory Tower.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#1014327) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 08, 2013

Post a review of PURPLE "Under a Binary Tree"