THE WARMEST SUN IN WINTER

Buy BELIEVE Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. The End (1:48)
2. Beginners (8:05)
3. The Warmest Sun In Winter (5:35)
4. Words (5:44)
5. Unborn/Turn Around (8:06)
6. Please Go Home (4:51)
7. Heartless land (10:53)

8. The bright day (hidden track) 2.29

- Satomi / violin

Label: Metal Mind Records
Cat. no.: MMP CD 0717DG
Release date: 22.04.2013 Europe / 04.06.2013 USA

Thanks to windhawk for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

BELIEVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVE The Warmest Sun In Winter Music

The Warmest Sun In WinterThe Warmest Sun In Winter
METAL MIND 2013
Yesterday Is a FriendYesterday Is a Friend
Extra tracks · Limited Edition
Metal Mind 2008
KENNY LOGGINS i believe in love 4xLP LOT celebrate me home keep the fire alive US $8.99 Buy It Now 32m 5s
REO SPEEDWAGON I Believe In Santa Claus 3:41 USA 1 track Promo 2010 CD single US $7.49 Buy It Now 36m 30s
Tim Burgess - I Believe (2003) PIAS The Charlatans Manchester US $4.00 [0 bids]
36m 43s
JASON HOWARD make believe CD 2000 the hollywood baritones paul bateman ria jones US $8.99 Buy It Now 37m 52s
FRANKIE LAINE CD 20 SONGS I BELIEVE & MANY MORE DELTA MUSIC 1997 FREE UK POST US $4.42 Buy It Now 40m 15s
WASHINGTON....I BELIEVE YOU LIAR.....12 TRACK MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 40m 29s
Candi-Bars - I Believe In You / Your'e The One - Candy-Stix US $321.64 Buy It Now 43m 5s
JOE MCELDERRY 'HERE'S WHAT I BELIEVE' CD (2012) US $14.46 Buy It Now 47m 49s
GLEN CAMPBELL It's Only Make Believe / Pave Your STORE STOCK 45 w Sleeve NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
TOTO MINT Make Believe WLP PROMO DJ COPY 45 PICTURE SLEEVE Stereo US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
ANSON WILLIAMS Happy Days Potsie PS 45 DEEPLY/I WANT TO BELIEVE IN THIS ONE US $14.77 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Blessed Union Of Souls - I Believe (single) 24HR POST!! US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 11m
X Files - I Want To Believe / OST US $13.27 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Hollies/Would You Believe? US $11.58 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Believe Tour Dance Experience *New DVD* US $9.79 Buy It Now 1h 14m
FRANKIE LAINE - I BELIEVE [FRANKIE LAINE] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
CONSPIRACY OF HOPE LP MADE IN BRAZIL TEARS FOR FEARS - I BELIEVE - DIRE STRAITS US $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Robson & Jerome - I Believe / Up On The Roof (CD Single) US $5.61 Buy It Now 1h 18m
825646828555 Believe (Special Repackage) by Katherine Jenkins (2010) CD US $4.65 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Righteous Bros - Melancholy Music Man/I Believe PROMO US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
KATHERINE JENKINS - Believe (2009) CD US $3.52 Buy It Now 1h 23m
LOUIS PHILIPPE / I STILL BELIEVE IN YOU BEST OF JAPAN CD WITH OBI BORDER BOYS US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Barbara Streisand : Love Theme from '' A Star Is Born '' - I Believe In Love US $3.20 Buy It Now 1h 36m
GLEN CAMPBELL 7" PS Japan IT'S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE r9221 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
TAMMY WYNETTE 7" VINYL PROMO COPY I CAN STILL BELIEVE IN YOU EX US $6.87 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Dion : I Can't Believe / Be Careful of Stones That You US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Johnny Taylor, I Believe In You/Love Depression US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Vintage 45 Record: Vaughn Monroe "Make Believe" "That Lucky Old Sun" RCA VICTOR US $4.75 Buy It Now 1h 45m
FOURTH DIMENSION Psych 45 LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE/RAINY DAY Hear It LISTEN US $14.77 Buy It Now 2h 3m
You Gotta Believe by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (CD, Sep-1992, Interscope) US $4.00 [1 bids]
VARIOUS - Reason To Believe: The Songs Of Tim Hardin - LP US $32.95 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - CHUBBY CHECKER - YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT BABY - SHE WANTS US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LISTEN - ROCK - BURT TAYLOR - I CAN'T HELP IT - BELIEVE IT OR NOT US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - LOVELACE WATKINS - I WON'T BELIEVE IT - HE'S LOOKIN OUT US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
LISTEN-SOUL POPCORN-THE OVATIONS - I BELIEVE I'LL GO BACK HOME - QUALIFICATIONS US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
LISTEN - rock'n'roll - LARRY KIRBY - MAKE BELIEVE YOU DO - FULL HEART AND EMPTY US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Bing Crosby Carmen Cavallaro The Four Winds and the Seven Seas / Make Believe NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
The Spooks Karma Hotel I Believe Yes CD Single NEW US $4.58 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Texas I Don't Want A Lover Vinyl ( Full Version ) 12" Believe Me / All In Vain US $6.42 [0 bids]
The Bachelors-I Believe 7" UK Decca 45 1964 US $4.81 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Yumi Shizukusa - I still believe - Japan CD J-POP US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Sandy Reed - I believe - CD - NEW - 14Tracks US $7.59 Buy It Now 2h 27m
The Reddings Class vinyl NM- Believe In A Dream FZ 37175 otis US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Ray Charles I'm Movin' On / I Believe to My Soul 1959 Atlantic 45-2043 HEAR IT US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Nat King Cole Make Believe Land / I'll Always Remember You 1956 Capitol F1747 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
TREBLE CHARGER "Don't Believe It All" PROMO CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 34m
The Bachelors - I Believe / Happy Land 7" Single 1964 US $15.44 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Gerald Wilson - You Better Believe It! + Moment Of Truth (Ajc) Cd New US $16.95 Buy It Now 2h 40m
THIN LIZZY don't believe a word rock drum breaks proto-hip-hop chops AKAI MPC US $10.00 [0 bids]
Reader's Digest Music "I Believe" Best Loved Stars of Inspiration 4 CD Set US $7.99 [0 bids]
Vidal Believe b/w From the Moon 12" single NM *69 star1224 US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Justin Bieber - Believe - 3706917 US $11.11 Buy It Now 2h 46m
BONNIE GUITAR "FADED LOVE / I BELIEVE IN LOVE" 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
JIM CHESNUT "JUST LET ME MAKE BELIEVE / SAME" 45 PROMO MINT UNPLAYED US $0.99 [0 bids]
Weezer - Make Believe - 9881718 US $9.68 Buy It Now 2h 52m
RICHARD CLAYDERMAN - MAKE BELIEVE - ONLY YOU MAKE BELIEVE & MORE US $1.49 Buy It Now 2h 58m
THE KALIN TWINS 45 Why Don't You Believe Me DECCA PINK PROMO ~ Teen Rock US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
HAPPENINGS....I BELIEVE IN NOTHING....B T PUPPY-45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h
DEJURE - BELIEVE 12" SPOT ON RECORDS PROMO RARE MINT US $3.20 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE DUKES OF DIXIELAND you have to hear it to believe it vol 1 LP VG AFLP 1823 US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Modern Soul promo EAR 45 "I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES" Viola Wills US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ronnie Hilton 45 "I Live For You / I Still Believe" US $3.49 Buy It Now 3h 23m
PALET MAJOR DEBUT SINGLE BELIEVE IN YOURSELF JAPAN DJ Promo CD 335 US $7.99 [0 bids]
7" GLEN CAMPBELL - IT'S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE RARE 1970 U.K. ORIGINAL US $1.91 [0 bids]
CHER "Believe" CD, 2012 Warner Bros. (Compact Disc) US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Still Fear Believe It Or Not CD US $40.19 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Stephen Gateley I Believe CD Single NEW Inc Bright Eyes Waiting For This Feeling US $6.03 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Shola Ama Still Believe Shaboom Card Sleeve Version CD Single US $5.61 Buy It Now 3h 28m
JUNIOR MANCE i believe to my soul LP VG+ SD 1496 Vinyl 1968 1A/1B Stereo USA US $26.25 Buy It Now 3h 32m
RAMSEY LEWIS TRIO+JEAN DUSHON YOU BETTER BELIEVE ME US $5.99 [0 bids]
Sasha If You Believe Card Sleeve Version Single Keep On Runnin CD US $4.42 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Vineyard Music CD Acoustic Worship I Believe In Jesus Terry Butler US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Vince Gill CD I Still Believe In You US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
The Alan Parsons Project You Don't Believe UK 1983 Arista 7" Single Arist 548 US $8.02 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Elvis Presley Believe In the Man In The Sky & Crying In The Chapel US $2.22 [0 bids]
Cher CD Believe US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
1985 Huey Lewis & The News The Power Of Love/Do You Believe In Love (Chrysalis) US $1.61 [0 bids]
Connie Russell Ayuh Ayuh / I'm Making Believe Capitol Promotional Record 45 HEAR US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
THE DARKNESS I Believe In A Thing Called Love UK promo CD PR04286 US $8.02 Buy It Now 3h 52m
RICKY NELSON - BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAY VG- (plays VG) US $2.40 [1 bids]
1969 45 PETER, PAUL AND MARY Day Is Done/ Make Believe US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY with JEROME KERN (CD) - Ol' Man River, Make Believe + more US $3.95 [0 bids]
Quadraphonic Quad Channel Make Believe William Fisher Orchestra US $4.00 [0 bids]
KYLIE MINOGUE * I BELIEVE IN YOU * UK PROMO & 2 CD SET * HTF! * ULTIMATE US $56.29 Buy It Now 3h 58m
OASIS CD GOLD DISC RECORD Don't Believe The Truth US $128.64 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Orianthi - Believe by Orianthi (CD, Oct-2009, Geffen) BRAND NEW N48 SEALED US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
TRISHA YEARWOOD BELIEVE ME BABY (I LIED) LITTLE HERCULES vinyl 7'' 45 US $1.00 Buy It Now 4h 4m
6850 I Believe in You-Don Williams 45 rpm 7" single Country 1980 US $1.89 [0 bids]
RAW STYLUS - Believe In Me (UK 5 Track 1996 CD Single) US $6.42 Buy It Now 4h 6m
M.C BELIEVE THAT THE LIFE I'M LIVIN' I'M OUTSTANDING VINYL 12" US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
WestBam ?- Do You Believe In The Westworld (techno) US $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 11m
CAPITAL TAX I CAN'T BELIEVE IT VINYL 12'' US $1.00 Buy It Now 4h 13m
SUSAN OSBORN Private LP You Gotta Believe FEMME FOLK Connecticut 1979 oop SSW US $10.00 [0 bids]
David Essex - I Still Believe (1999)(470) US $4.81 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Crystal Gayle...We Must Believe In Majic....United Artists....33 RPM-VG Cond US $2.50 [0 bids]
MARIO YOU GOTTA BELIEVE (CAN'T STOP THE BUM RUSH) VINYL 12'' US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
YACHT - I Believe in You, Your Magic Is Real (2007) CD US $4.81 Buy It Now 4h 25m
BUCKS FIZZ_The Land Of Make Believe_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from A US $10.56 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Mariah Carey - I Still Believe (1999) - CD - w/ David Morales Classic Club Mix US $1.49 [0 bids]
CAROL LYNN TOWNES BELIEVE IN THE BEAT VINYL 12'' US $1.50 Buy It Now 4h 30m

More places to buy BELIEVE music online Buy BELIEVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVE The Warmest Sun In Winter ratings distribution

BELIEVE The Warmest Sun In Winter reviews

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Polish band BELIEVE was formed in 2005 by veteran Polish guitarist Mirek Gil as his new band project. He assembled a band around him fairly quickly, and a number of releases have followed. "The Warmest Sun in Winter" was is their most recent album, and was released through Polish label Metal Mind Productions in 2013.

The 2013 edition of Believe is one that resides in the heartland of the neo progressive universe, sporting gentle symphonic backdrops, melodic guitar soloing aplenty and otherwise compositions of a fairly mellow and controlled nature throughout. A disc that might have become somewhat plain without the strong and impressive lead vocals of Karol Wroblewski . His presence elevates this album markedly however, to the point of making this disc an easy one to recommend to fans of neo progressive rock in general and those amongst them with a strong affection for high quality lead vocals in particular.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#938962) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A warm glow

A little over two years have elapsed since the release of the fine "World is round" album, during which time Believe kept us interested with the superb live DVD "Seeing is believing". Interestingly, for this album violinist Satomi is listed as a "special guest", her presence being restricted to just two of the eight tracks.

Most of the songs are band compositions, with Karol Wróblewski writing all the lyrics (in English). The album's concept is that of a reunion between old friends, who find that their lives have followed starkly different paths, and how their enduring friendship brings sun into their lives.

The album opens with a brief reflective instrumental, "The end", featuring piano and guitar. This serves as an atmospheric prelude to "Beginners", an 8 minute piece written by keyboards player Konrad Wantrych (with lyrics by vocalist Wróblewski). Right from the start, Mirek Gil re-establishes his lead guitar as the principal instrumental sound for the album. The track is majestic, with a strong melody and a fine vocal performance from Wróblewski. It is though Gil's distinctive guitar work that brings out the depth and strength of the song.

The title track is characterised by a delicate, high vocal underpinned by a floating lead guitar. The song is quite simply one of the most beautiful the band have recorded. "Words" continues in a similar vein, the mood being slightly lighter with a multi-tracked vocal on the main chorus. "Unborn/Turn around" is the second of the longer tracks. Here the rhythm section move things into slightly heavier territories, but the emphasis remains firmly on the strength of the melody. Gil's lead guitar harmonises with the lead vocal, the track developing all the while and driven on latterly by a marching drumbeat.

"Please go home" follows on from the band's cover of Marillion's "Chelsea morning" as a tribute to the late Polish music journalist Robert Roszak. Here we get our first chance to hear the wonderful violin of Satomi. The song is the most powerful on the album, Wróblewski's vocals being full of emotion while Gil's guitar prowess is unrestrained. The longest track on the album is the 11 minute "Heartless land", which brings together the moods of the tracks thus far in a slightly retro sounding synth based finale. Gil's lead guitar still prevails, complementing the fine vocal performance.

The album has an additional "hidden" track "The bright day" (not that well hidden though given that it appears in the track listing!). This is the only other song to feature the violin of Satomi, and makes for a pleasantly light coda to the album.

Overall, an excellent album from this highly accomplished Polish band. The changes from the previous album "World is round" are subtle rather than revolutionary. Nevertheless, "The warmest sun in winter" does see the band moving on, and is possibly their most progressive and most cohesive album to date. It is also good to see the guitar Mirek Gil being given such prominence throughout the album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#951192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 28, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars For some strange reason, although I have Believe's debut album 'Hope To See Another Day', which came out in 2006, I haven't heard any of their other releases until this their fifth studio album. Now, given that I have always enjoyed Mirek Gil's work (I am a huge fan of Collage, with Satellite not too far behind) that is a massive oversight on my part, and something that I will definitely need to do something about, and having now played this album a great deal just adds additional emphasis to that as this is superb. Laid back, with an almost Camel-esque feel to proceedings, this is a band where some songs seem to contain just one long guitar solo behind the vocals as Mirek provides incredible emphasis. There are times where he is more Gary Chandler than Andy Latimer, and his impact and contribution to this album cannot be understated.

This is all about atmosphere and melody, and contains some wonderful individual performances as each person adds their own finesse and skill to what is a beautifully crafted and polished album. Karol has a wonderful voice, and Konrad is a fine keyboard player who adds complex layers, but there is no doubt that this album belongs mostly to Mirek whether he is wrenching yet more sustain or simple almost Eighties style staccato notes out of his instrument. This is an album that is accessible the very first time it is played yet has hidden depths and it is only with repeated playing that the listener truly gets the most out of it. This really is the full package, as the well presented booklet containing the lyrics (all in English fits neatly in the digipak, and the music more than stands up to the quality of the presentation. Believe are yet another great Polish progressive rock band at the top of their game. www.believe.com.pl

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#959302) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I really have a soft spot for Mirek Gil, an accomplished fret slinger that has a hallowed reputation in the prog community, mostly for his Collage work as well as solo outings, participating in early Satellite albums as well as launching Believe. I really enjoyed the debut offering, a little less so for the sophomore and ended my fascination as I was spooked by the poor reviews and the average samples for the following two albums. Well, I am happy to report that I am back behind this Polish band's cause as 'The Warmest Sun in Winter' is perhaps their finest achievement to date, the musicians having finally found their peak moulding. Always solid rhythmically with Zawadski on bass and Tafel on drums, the guitar forever sublime, the main target of any concern was the keys and the vocals. Keyboardist Konrad Wantrych is now in a zone and Karol Wroblewski has a superb voice that fits much better with the mellower moods, a fine combination of Steve Hoggarth and Collage/Satellite's Robert Amirian. But these guys were already in place for 'The Bread is Mine' and 'World is Round', so what happened? Truth is that the material presented here is now finely chiseled with a greater attention to musical detail and sensitive impact. Believe has a rather restrictive romantic neo-prog style that needs and begs for sensible arrangements and high emotional delivery, or else it falls flat. Here, the ingredients are spot on and successful.

There is a strong spirit of creativity on their disc, it becomes evident straight from the beginning by naming the opener 'The End', a brief little appetizer with resonating guitar, delicate piano and brooding bass. Lullaby that would make Chopin proud, the tease is on! 'Beginners' wastes no time on impressing the listener, forcing them from casual interest into immediate aural obedience mostly due to Mirek's seductive guitar, a series of soaringly romantic notes that will tear at your heartstrings. Wroblewski's suave voice has both sonic crispness and emotional pretence, dancing around the curling guitar forays, a lead solo that is all Mirek Gil : guileless, trebly, shattering, trembling and exalted. His craft is closer to Latimer or Hackett, a sound that searches for simplicity and utter beauty above anything overtly technical. This is a tremendous track and a foreboding of what will be coming down the line. The title track is classic Believe, where a hushed vocal introduces a glorious melody, the fierce guitar shining brightly in its simplicity, all effect and no cause, we are in ultra-romantic neo-prog mode, a style I particularly admire. Gil uncorks a 'slowhand' solo that would make Eric smile, all feeling and passion. 'Words' just keeps the groove going, perhaps a little more accessible, quite close to Mr.Gil's debut 'Alone' album, a fine prog-pop song that has depth, meaning and memorability, coated with some definite symphonics (mellotron, piano, synths) , a rare bass ditty and s shrieking axe solo to boot. 'Unborn/Turnaround' showcases a little more experimentation, a slow riff builds up the required tension and it gets really hypnotic, tainted by some dense atmospheres. The track is all about restraint and patience, working effectively in getting the right mood for the day. A cute synth section bodes well for another Gil solo, at a slightly higher pitch, military snare drums leading the parade. 'Please Go Home' is a gut wrenching piece, with spirited vocals within a raging delivery , a musical discussion in sample (in Polish) and a whopper axe solo, gritty and insistent. The desperately repeated title hits the mark with unabashed rage. 'Heartless Land' is the epic finale, a piece that adds a lot more detail to the mix, leisurely infusing various sounds and tones into the overture, where an interesting muffled beat plays hide and seek with the bass and guitar, deliberately building up steam. Very groove- oriented and highly atmospheric, this is Believe at its best, with sweet and heavenly vocals warming the soul. The mid-section mellotron is carved up by Gil's massive fretwork, a colossal exercise that will stun the disbelievers (pun!) , the man is a guitar genius. There is a few minutes of silence and then 'the hidden track' which features former full time violinist Satomi , 'The Bright Day' is exactly that, a simple pop song with some sexy violin and a memorable chorus.

You better believe in Believe.

4 Sunny ideals

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#974680) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 09, 2013

Review by J-Man
4 stars Although Believe has only existed for less than a decade, they've quickly become regarded as one of the elite acts in Polish progressive rock - and with their fifth album, 2013's The Warmest Sun In Winter, it has (once again) become apparent why. The band's atmospheric and moody style of neo-prog easily immerses its listener, but there is also a level of sophistication in both the songwriting and arrangements that sets Believe apart from the pack. Especially when listening to Mirek Gil's tremendous lead guitar work in tracks like "Please Go Home" and Karol Wróblewski's stunning vocal performance in "Beginners", it's clear that The Warmest Sun In Winter is the work of first-class musicians. This is the rare type of album that can provide either an engaging or soothing experience depending on the listener's mood, and this versatility makes for a very easy recommendation. The Warmest Sun In Winter is an essential pickup for any fan of neo-prog!

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#1015867) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
3 stars The Warmest Sun In Winter (2013) is the 5th album of the Polish band Believe and once again released by Metal Mind Records. Metal Mind is one of the most important European labels and they have tons of releases every year, including many great bands and albums.

Believe was founded in 2004 and it's a case of bands that started playing by being influenced by the Neo Prog bands of the 80's and especially the 90's. Their sound can be easily targeted as Neo Prog but you cannot put them exactly within the golden era of Neo Prog, they're the 2000's definition of the sub-genre. Believe's current line-up includes Karol Wróblewski (vocals), Mirek Gil (guitars), Konrad Wantrych (keyboards and vocals), Przemas Zawaddzki (bass) and Vlodi Tafel (drums). The Warmest Sun In Winter (2013) was recorded in Mirek Gil's studio and produced by the band itself.

The album starts with an intro, and funnily enough is named 'The End'. Soon we move on to the second track 'Beginners' that started as a full layered ballad. You have clever guitar melodies and shy and smart keyboards. I have to say that when Karol's vocals come in they don't sound that good but he redeems himself in the chorus with great doubled vocals. But the high point here is the guitar by Mirek Gil.

The title-track 'The Warmest Sun In Winter' has a good solid bass line, but a bit monotonous overall. It's a 'common' song but it has very interesting moments towards the last verse with a different kind of melody. Mirek's guitars are the main force here once again, although the shy Konrad's keyboards appear in the last minute. One thing that bothers a bit is that Karol's vocals seems too 'robotic' due to the use of computer effects. Sometimes it lacks a bit of 'life'.

In the fourth track 'Words' keyboards are less shy and bring us a very good main melody. You also have the first very interesting moments of the drummer Vlodi Tafel. In fact, this track has a bit of every instrument. You also have an interesting bass solo round the middle with a different tone, more distorted. But overall, it is just an ok track cause it doesn't really go anywhere, despite the use of good Hammond organs. 'Unborn/Turn Around' has good 'flutes' right in the beginning, the intro is in fact a great one. Though I would have used a different drum beat in it. Vocals once again are weak with lots of effects or duplicated. At least until the second half when the song changes and Karol redeems himself once again with some amazing vocals followed by piano. I can sense a Peter Gabriel influence in this track.

'Please Go Home' starts as a lullaby that is soon followed by a 'heavy' bit. But the heaviness comes from the low bottom of the band, not from the guitars. Then we have the smartest move by the band, violins. Satomi comes as a special guest and add great colors to The Warmest Sun In Winter (2013). Second half of the song is weird, but in a good way, it includes an intersection with a Polish Radio DJ that is just great. A very good track.

Final track is 'Heartless Land'. Usually I don't like the bass sound of the 5 strings instrument as Przemas Zawadzki uses on the album. But here he uses it in a different and interesting way. The track is full of a dense atmosphere and the guitar bits are like flashlights in the dark. They have written a somber song and managed to fit some 'flutes' again. Then a hidden track comes in. It is called 'The Bright Day' and it's kinda short, with 2'30 minutes long. This track could be easily added to the album as the 8th track if it was a bit longer, once again the violins appear and they could have used it more.

With The Warmest Sun In Winter (2013) Believe achieved a solid album. Not a groundbreaking album but a strong and melodic one. If you're a Neo Prog fan this should be in your collection.

(Originally posted on progshine.net)

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#1022379) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars While MIREK GIL is the unquestioned leader of BELIEVE, it seems to me that, where violinist Satomi goes so goes "Believe". Unfortunately, she is absent for all but a few sublime moments on "The Warmest Sun in Winter". To be honest, I'm not sure the string-less material is strong enough to be saved by her presence in any case.

I first heard most of these tracks at ROSfest in Gettysburg, PA earlier this year, and while I generally enjoyed the "sound" and the young look of their vocalist, I found that the composition and arrangements had become predictable. Let's see, start with a slow intro and bring in WrĆ³blewski's warble for a fairly standard low energy verse-chorus pattern that overstays its welcome, and top it off with another Gil solo in precisely the same timbre as the last. Speaking of choruses, do you remember "Yesterday is a Friend"? There the choruses shimmered and, along with Satomi, electrified each tune. Keyboards were scarce but there was such a crispness to the soundscapes, one sorely lacking here, with a much thicker, actually viscous keyboard layering, and generally dreary choruses absent of any of the urgency we have grown to appreciate. If you are going to utilize conventional structures, you need a few hooks.

The main exception to the above is "Please Go Home", which should have been the warning sign at the concert, being the only new piece that really resonated with me. A concise statement of nerve wracking euphoria, it's perhaps the band's finest moment among many, and Satomi's accompaniment only adds to the brilliance.

This is essentially the same skilled band but they seem to have "settled" for the first time. As a result, while a warm sunny glow can be felt here and there, there's not enough of the old fire, especially not where it's needed.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#1072357) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 04, 2013

3 stars Another solid album of melodic rock from a team of seasoned, gifted songwriters. My complaint is that their music is sounding less and less like prog--even Neo-prog--and more and more like A-B-A-C-A-B pop ballads. Also, while Mirek Gil's signature electric guitar sound remains, the fire and cr ... (read more)

Report this review (#1010570) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Saturday, August 03, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Emotional, melodic, sophisticated - 7.5/10 Another nice surprise found on progstreaming.com. "The Warmest Sun in Winter", the new album of Polish quintet Believe, stroke the right chord with me almost from first listen. I am a bit of sucker for both melancholic atmospheres and great vocals, and ... (read more)

Report this review (#976042) | Posted by lukretio | Tuesday, June 11, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I absolutely love this band, I have every album from them and dig them all, and this newest one might be the best yet, although I will admit to being just a bit disappointed that Satomi only plays on two tracks. Mirek's guitar playing is just fantastic throughout, besides being one of my favori ... (read more)

Report this review (#954093) | Posted by RJN | Saturday, May 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BELIEVE "The Warmest Sun In Winter"