SLEEPERS

1. Sleepers (12:19)
2. Julie Anne (4:43)
3. Live And Learn (9:54)
4. Dentist Song (4:19)
5. Pictures Of Bliss (2:06)
6. Before, After And Beyond (6:08)
7. Exorcising Demons (9:15)
8. Middleground (6:03)

- Karl Garrett / keyboards
- Mark Andrews / keyboards
- Neil Pepper / bass guitar
- Tim Ashton / bass guitar

CD Avalanche Records (1995)

CD Avalon Records GHCD4 (1995)

GHCD4 is RE-ISSUED on 13 Oct 2005
The 'new' version also includes an extra 'hidden' track, 'Suffering In Silence', which was previously only available on the Japanese version of Sleepers released by Canyon International in 1995.

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

GALAHAD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GALAHAD Sleepers Music

SleepersSleepers
CD Baby 2012

More places to buy GALAHAD music online Buy GALAHAD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GALAHAD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GALAHAD Sleepers ratings distribution

GALAHAD Sleepers reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars For those GALAfans out there I need not say any more than "Sleepers" to summon a cheer, but for the uninitiated let me elaborate on this excellent recording. After several excellent recordings GALAHAD hit their most creative in "Sleepers" which combines the mysticism GENESIS captured back in the early 70's and the sheer power in early MARILLION. Don't worry my friend, "Sleepers" has its own character all the way through but is greatly rooted in the progressive genre. Songs range from the complex and powerful opening track "Sleepers" to the humorous ditty the "Dentist Song" which is also one of the standout tracks on this album for me. Stuart Nicholson's vocals are at the height of his career and combines with the musical strength of this band, we are treated to a stunning display of sheer talent, power and creativity. "Sleepers" would be one of the top prog releases of 1995 in my opinion.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#2782) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

2 stars I've tried to like this album but there is no way, even after many listens. This mostly reminds me of Fish era MARILLION, actually this reminds me too much of their work if you know what I mean. And then there are some songs that do nothing for me at all.

"Sleepers" opens with 1 1/2 minutes of distant sounding orchestral and operatic female vocals before the guitars and drums arive. Actually it's 3 minutes before a full sound comes in. The vocals seem uninspired on this track to me, although the guitar solo after 6 minutes has some inspiration behind it. This has a distinct early MARILLION sound to it. "Julie Anne" is another Fish-era MARILLION sounding tune. Organ,piano and soaring guitar all are well done. This is a good mellow song. "Live And Learn" has some good organ and piano melodies, the uptempo sections are well done. Actually the vocals here really remind me of Geddy Lee's vocals from the mid to late eighties.

"Dentist Song" is a pleasant, mid paced song. "Pictures Of Bliss" features acoutic guitar and fragile vocals. "Before, After And Beyond" turns out ok after an intro which I don't like at all.The guitar and vocals are the focus. "Exorcising Demons" is about child abuse and it opens with the sounds of children playing.The percussion is good, but this one is all about the lyrics. "Middleground" is a love song. Yikes ! "Amaranth" has some good guitar and vocals throughout. An electronic beat arrives after 7 minutes as well as samples.They would explore these sounds to a greater degree on "Following Ghosts".The dreamy section with synths is the best part of the song.

2.5 stars because to these ears this isn't very good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#132465) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars Three songs from this album were already written as soon as in 1992.

The epic and title track, which turns out to be a good and interesting song after all. It takes a while to kick off, that's for sure, but one the whole band comes to the party, this number is definitely one of the best they have written. Fine vocals and conservative keyboarding.

"Dentist Song" is the second of these older song to be featured and it has little to do with "Sleepers". Just a little pop neo-prog tune. Press nextT. The third one of the kind is "Before, After And Beyond".

The poppiest of all, "Julie Anne" holds a very catchy melody; it is a sweet and gentle song which automatically recalls me of "Julia" ("Pavlov's Dog"). Not thanks to the vocals (one can't match Surkamp's ones) but to the chorus line. Pretty similar and very pleasant.

But I would say that this is the main tendency. Music is fine, even if not highly creative. There is always a moment during which one can tell: this sounds like "G.." or related. But this is the essence of the genre. Some bands do re-create these atmospheres quite well. Others don't.

In this work, "Galahad" is doing alright. A composition as "Live & Learn" brings sufficient complexity to be attractive. This track is again very much keyboard oriented and quite convincing actually.

As if he was obliged to do so (and IMHHO he was not), Nicholson is incorporating some Gabriel-esque atmospheres in his tone of voice during "Exorcising Demons". Lots of off-beats, and again the leading role played by the keyboards duet. One of the best song featured. I particularly like the final guitar solo. Guess to whom it reminds me?

The problem again with this album is its length. A band should understand that it is at times wiser to produce a shorter and more interesting effort than just record a lengthy one ("Middleground" could have easily be skipped IMO).

The second epic (almost twelve minutes) "Amaranth" holds a bit what I like (vocals) and dislike (obvious and too close "Genesis" instrumental parts) here. A good cloning affair though. The finale is seriously Pictures & Exhibitions oriented.

Still, I have always liked this album (maybe more during the first few listening). Three stars, synonym of a good album. But if you are an "orthodox", you should pass your way.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#170385) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 09, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars "We had it good in the eighties, everything coming up roses - we were drowning in success!" Really?

Sleepers was the album that finally realized all the potential of Galahad's early albums and it is a very strong album in its own right. The music of Galahad had developed into a hard edged Neo-Prog with some appealing Neo-Classical influences and some slight poppy touches too. This album was released in the same year as Arena's fantastic debut album Songs From The Lion's Cage, and like Arena, Galahad too opted for a more hard edged sound compared to earlier Neo-Prog bands like IQ and Marillion. Sleepers is a varied and reasonably diverse album with several longer more complex songs as well as shorter songs that range from tasteful acoustic ballads (Pictures Of Bliss) to poppy love songs (Julie Anne, Middleground) to dramatic and melodic Prog.

The brilliant opening title track is the highlight of the album and easily my favourite Galahad song of all time. This is also one of Stuart Nicholson's finest and most theatrical vocal performances. The vocals are very strong throughout the whole album and while Nicholson clearly belongs to the Fish and Peter Gabriel school of singers, he has unique tone of his own that I appreciate very much. Indeed, he is one of the best singers in said school if you ask me! He also sometimes remind me slightly of Geddy Lee of Rush!

Like in most Neo-Prog, the sound here is based on electric guitars, bass, drums, electronic keyboards and dramatic, emotional vocals but the presence of acoustic guitars and grand piano on several songs makes the sound more diverse. All instruments are played with skill, enthusiasm and confidence here but the most important factor is that the songs are all very well-written and memorable this time around.

Apart from the excellent title track, the ten minute Live And Learn and the nearly ten minute Exorcising Demons are other highlights. The opening line of the former song goes: "We had it good in the eighties, everything coming up roses - we were drowning in success!" This can hardly refer to the band themselves as they had only minor success in the 80's, as far as I know!? Indeed, it was with the present album that the band finally found some success.

Sleepers was the peak of Galahad's career and this album should be regarded as a classic in the Neo-Prog genre. It is thus essential for any fan of Neo-progressive Rock and highly recommended!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#264859) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 07, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
2 stars The intense work for Galahad still continues towards mid-90's.The band records two cover tracks for the Geoff Mann's tribute album ''Mannerisms'' and Genesis' tribute ''The River of Constant Change'' respectively, while an acoustic version of the band under the name Galahad Acoustic Quintet releases the work ''Not All There'' in 1994.In the meantime they continue to perform live in a constant basis.In 1995 it was time for Galahad's third official studio release.The album ''Sleepers'' sees the light in 1995, again on Avalon.

1/3 of the album (''Sleepers'', "Dentist Song'' and "Before, After And Beyond") were tracks already written in early-90's with Mark Andrews on keyboards and Tim Ashton on bass,the rest being new material with new drummer Spencer Luckman and new bassist Neil Pepper.However musically they do not sound much different.The band's sound is deeply rooted in mid- to late-70's GENESIS with some MARILLION-esque overtones,especially on the lyrical and heavy vocal sections.Galahad try some more ambitious approach on ''Sleepers'' compared to their previous releases.Four out of the nine tracks extend the 9-min. mark,but the result is really questionable.They sound a lot like the mediocre tunes of the previous works,just overstretched with little instrumental explosion and strongly leaning on Nicholson's theatrical performance.Dreamy keyboard work,sensitive guitars,deep atmospheres and a light symphonic influence as always offer some moments of beauty,but the arrangements remain a bit unfocused and at places pointless and mainly rather incohesive and unconveincing of their talent.These long questionable explorations are fairly supported by some shorter tracks in a rather Pop-Prog vein with a ballad atmosphere, compositionally decent but far from what we expect from these talented English men.

To my ears Galahad still search for a personal identity and a strong compositional style in ''Sleepers''.Some moments in it are very good and point to the right direction,but again you will be left with a bittersweet taste at the end.Not exactly recommended,''Sleepers'' will be propably a decent addition only for fans of early Neo Progressive Rock styles...2.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#593813) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Post a review of GALAHAD "Sleepers"