AFTER THE EXHIBITION

1. Detox Gruel (4:13)
2. Spanish Fly (5:19)
3. Yantra (8:04)
4. Frank Nuts (3:38)
5. Jungle Cow Part I (5:50)
6. Jungle Cow Part II (4:40)
7. Jungle Cow Part III (6:07)
8. Glass Cubes (8:30)
9. Wrong But Not False (5:28)
10. Flashlight Into Black Hole (3:05)
11. Stammtisch (5:59)

Marti Melia / Bass & Tenor saxes, Clarinet
François Lourtie / Tenor, Alto & Soprano Sax, Voice
Pierre Mottet / Bass
Laurent Delchambre / Drums, Percussion, Objects, Samples
Benoît Moerlen / Marimba & Electronic Vibraphone (2,3, 5-7 & 11)
Susan Clynes / Vocals (8)

Moonjune Records (MJR055).

Thanks to Music by Mail for the addition

THE WRONG OBJECT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WRONG OBJECT After The Exhibition Music

Platform OnePlatform One
Jazzprint UK 2007

More places to buy THE WRONG OBJECT music online Buy THE WRONG OBJECT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WRONG OBJECT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WRONG OBJECT After The Exhibition ratings distribution

THE WRONG OBJECT After The Exhibition reviews

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars Brilliant

If you had asked me a year ago about Jazz Rock Fusion, would had answered that I liked a few artists like JEAN-LUC PONTY, BRAND X and RETURN TO FOREVER, but that my passion was in Prog Rock and not in this complex and messy genre??Since then, my good friend Leonardo Pavkovic from Moonjune Records, started to send me some albums each one or two months. At the beginning I didn't cared too much, but after listening bands like TOHPATI ETHNOMISSION, SIMAK DIALOG, SLIVOVITZ and others, I started to wait for the next set of records and having cravings when I didn't received them?Damn Leonardo, I got addicted and now I don't only spend my hard earned money in Prog CD's but find myself searching for music from all this great bands in the jazz section of the stores and catalogues.

Well back to the issue, I just received a new set of CD's (Thanks Leonardo) and really enjoyed them, but THE WRONG OBJECT was something really special, their latest release After the Exhibition is a different kind of beast, and I called it beast because the music has it's own life, it's fierce, loud and aggressive, threatening the listener with a risky and elaborate fusion of sounds, styles, moods and genres, that go from UNIVERSE ZERO (Thanks to virtuoso keyboardist Antoine Guenet) to FRANK ZAPPA with a touch of KING CRIMSON, Canterbury Scene and Classical references.

The music is not subtle at all, the guys from THE WRONG OBJECT don't hide anything, the transition from one style to another is radical and without any warning, there's nowhere to hide or time to breathe, they keep bombing us with a tempest of sounds and melodies that maintain the listener at the edge of the seat and which I enjoyed from start to end.

I usually write something about my favourite tracks, but in this case it's hard to find a song that overshadows the rest of the album, being that each and every musical piece are outstanding, but the ones that impressed me more are the breathtaking Dexto Gruel with constant changes and bombastic arrangements.

Of course the contrast between the soft, clean piano and Michel Delville's frenetic guitar, all blended with some sort of Middle East influence in Spanish Fly also captured me. But that's not all, the Jungle Cow trilogy is also brilliant, with special emphasis in the trippy part two, where the dense atmospheres are simply delightful.

Now, if I had to choose one song alone, I would go with the marvelous Glass Cubes that has everything I love, starting with the beautiful melodies, the elaborate arrangements, solid vocals and accurate rhythm section in the hands of Pierre Mottet and that human metronome named Laurent Delchambre in the percussion.

But I won't keep choosing songs , because there's not a single weak moment in the album and every track has something to be mentioned (for example the important role of Marti Melia in the sax), but doing it would take me hours and several pages.

So will end this review rating After the Exhibition with 5 solid stars, being that anything less would be unfair for such a marvelous work.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#978554) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 15, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars It has been five years since the last album from The Wrong Object, during which time they have morphed from a quintet to a sextet, and have also taken the opportunity to take fusion to a whole new level, as they bring together traditional jazz elements with rock and electronic experimentation which normally doesn't dare show itself within this genre. The result is a progressive jazz hybrid that is going to excite many, while shocking those who feel that they knew exactly what to expect from the genre. Some of the music seems highly structured and layered, while other areas appear to be much more improvised, but often bringing in and melding musical elements which normally would not be seen dead in the same room together.

The new line-up Antoine Guenet (who is also the leader of SH.TG.N, as well being a new recruit to Univers Zero) with two sax players, Marti Melia and Francois Lourtie, which allows the band to provide harmony and complexity. Added to that is new bassist Pierre Mottet who has locked in with drummer Laurent Delchambre, while Michel Delville (guitar and electronics) is able to fully explore all musical avenues as he has with him a cadre of musicians who will follow wherever he dares to lead.

This is progressive jazz fusion for a new era, and has an edge that is missing from that of the Seventies bands, and is all better and dynamic for it. This is music that takes you on a journey, but it may just be a harder and rougher one that you may have initially imagined but will be all the wiser for getting to the other side. Yet another classic from Leo's stable, this is essential.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1025530) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Belgian band THE WRONG OBJECT was formed in 2002 by Michel Delville. Since then half a dozen albums have been released by the band, the majority of them either live albums or productions recorded live in the studio, most of them featuring notable guest musicians. Their most recent album, "After the Exhibition" is a regular studio album, however, and a pure band effort at that. This CD was released in 2013 through the US label Moonjune Records.

The Wrong Object's latest studio effort "After the Exhibition" is a production that should appeal to a dedicated niche audience within the progressive rock universe: Those with a firm interest in demanding, challenging material in general, and those amongst them with an affection for jazz and jazz rock most of all. I suspect that the greater majority of the latter crowd will find this album to be a highly rewarding experience.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#1060905) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars To be honest, by the start of the last calendar year ('13), after a four to six year silence, I thought that TWO was a dead thing. It sure seems like the project certainly went through a delicate phase, since there remains only two members from the line-up that had recorded the awesome Stories From The Shed. Indeed only leader Delville and drummer Delchambre remain, the main change being the addition of Antoine Guenet (ex-PaNoPTiCoN and presently also in the new Univers Zero line-up). Actually, if memory serves, most of the newcomers come of PaNoPTiCoN, which never had a fixed line-up anyway, due to the concept of the project. Elsewhere Pollard gave way to Mottet on bass, and Melia and Lourtie are now blowing the horns, and the always excellent vibraphonist Benoit Moerlen appears as a guest on no less than four tracks. So, something did happen, and TWO's rebirth six years after is a sweet gift, courtesy of the great Moonjune label.

Despite the heavy line-up changes, you'll have no problems recognizing instantly TWO, but I would not call ATE just another Wrong Object album. This is probably the band's most "prog-rock" album, despite retaining its heavy JR/F and Zappa atmospheres. The heavy Detox Gruel is a mix of riffs and gypsy jazz music. The three-parts and almost 17-mins Jungle Cow is the centrepiece of the album, but hardly the most accessible, as the first two movements are often bordering on dissonance, but it remains reasonable, and the third really delivers the good with some cool dramatics. The following Glass Cubes features female vocals, and though it brings a breath of fresh air, though the start has a "déjà-entendu", but the second part sounds like a cross of Gong meets Kate Bush.

A fine return to affairs from a group most of us thought dead (or at least dormant), although it doesn't reach the perfection of Stories From The Shed. While ATE might not be the most representative of their usual soundscapes (given the important line-up changes), it's still very much a worthy TWO album, and ranks in my top 5 album of 2013, among with Maalouf's Illusions and Setna's Guérison. Definitely worth investigating.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#1214714) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 18, 2014

4 stars The Belgian grouip The Wrong Object has existed in seven years and this is their fourth record. They play a powerful and interesting jazz rock and the band has the members Michel Delville(guitar, roland GR-09), Antoine Guenet(keyboards, vocals), Marti Melia(saxophones, clarinet), Francois Lour ... (read more)

Report this review (#1049300) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Tuesday, October 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WRONG OBJECT "After The Exhibition"