MOMENTUM

Good, but non-essential

Buy STEVE HACKETT Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Cavalcanti (6:13)
2. The Sleeping Sea (3:27)
3. Portrait Of A Briazilian Lady (5:15)
4. When The Bell Breaks (3:03)
5. A Bed, A Chair And A Guitar (2:44)
6. Concert For Munich (4:55)
7. Last Rites Of Innocence (5:28)
8. Troubled Spirit (2:30)
9. Variation On A Theme By Chopin (4:55)
10. Pierrot (2:53)
11. Momentum (2:38)
Bonus Track:
12. Bourée (1:34)
13. An Open Window (9:02)
14. The Vigil (6:19)

Search STEVE HACKETT Momentum lyrics

Search STEVE HACKETT Momentum tabs

- Steve Hackett / guitar, keyboards, vocals, producer
- John Hackett / flute

InsideOut-CAMCD 10 / CD-SPV-076-31432

STEVE HACKETT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEVE HACKETT Momentum Music

Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert HallGenesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Inside Out U.S. 2014
Highly StrungHighly Strung
Import · Extra tracks · Remastered
Charisma/Virgin 2007
STEVE HACKETT Defector LP WITH POSTER!! RARE ! US $13.58 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT PLEASE DON'T TOUCH white label promo JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
STEVE HACKETT (GENESIS) - Tokyo Tapes EMPTY Japan Promo Box US $54.99 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT HIGHLY STRUNG JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Steve Hackett(Vinyl LP)Special Mornings-Charisma-9124 039-UK-VG/Ex US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch! (1988) VGC US $8.52 Buy It Now 5h 37m
STEVE HACKETT - VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Steve Hackett - EMPTY BOX for Mini LP CD Japan DISK UNION OOP RARE Genesis!!!!!! US $75.00 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings NEW CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 7h
STEVE HACKETT**TOKYO TAPES**BOX SET US $37.95 Buy It Now 7h 44m
STEVE HACKETT**BEYOND THE SHROUDED HORIZON (W/SIX TRACK BONUS DISC)**2 CD SET US $15.18 Buy It Now 7h 45m
STEVE HACKETT**SPECTRAL MORNINGS (REMASTERED)**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 9h 10m
STEVE HACKETT VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE CHR-1112 LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS rare A TRICK OF THE TAIL JAPAN CD PHIL COLLINS Tony Banks STEVE HACKETT US $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
STEVE HACKETT PLEASE DON'T TOUCH SOLO VINYL LP GENESIS KANSAS WALSH EHART PROMO US $7.00 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT: Till We Have Faces (rock & pop vinyl LP) Germany, close to M- US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 36m
Wild Orchids by Steve Hackett (CD, Feb-2013, Century Media/EMI) US $16.90 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Wild Orchids by Steve Hackett (CD, Sep-2006, Inside Out Music) US $11.73 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Spectral Mornings by Steve Hackett (CD, Sep-2005, Emi/Virgin) US $8.29 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Tribute by Steve Hackett (CD, Mar-2008, Edel Europe) US $8.82 Buy It Now 12h 26m
STEVE HACKETT Cured ROCK LP EPIC Orig Inner GENESIS US $9.99 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT Highly Strung ROCK LP EPIC Orig Lyric Inner GENESIS US $9.99 [0 bids]
Till We Have Faces by Steve Hackett (CD, Feb-2013, Century Media/EMI) US $14.56 Buy It Now 12h 53m
Darktown by Steve Hackett (CD, Feb-2013, Century Media/EMI) US $18.17 Buy It Now 12h 53m
STEVE HACKETT Till We Have Faces SEALED LP Vinyl 1984 GENESIS US $12.95 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited by Steve Hackett (CD, Feb-2013,... US $15.61 Buy It Now 13h 54m
STEVE HACKETT BAY OF KINGS RARE BRAZIL EDIT LP US $38.00 Buy It Now 14h 5m
STEVE HACKETT - VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE PHIL COLLINS PROG ROCK EX- GENESIS LP EX US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 19m
STEVE HACKETT SPECTRAL MORNINGS CHRYSALIS 1979 US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
GTR - When The Heart Rules The Mind 7" [Steve Howe Steve Hackett] US $4.99 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT cell 151 12" 3 track b/w air conditioned nightmare live and time l US $9.68 Buy It Now 21h 6m
STEVE HACKETT clocks 12" 3 track b/w acoustic set and tigermoth (cb34112) pic sl US $11.29 Buy It Now 21h 6m
Steve Hackett - Feedback `86 - 501048 US $21.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Till We Have Faces - 500428 US $20.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir - 506408 US $20.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - To Watch the Storms - 506388 US $20.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids - 506398 US $20.25 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HACKETT HOPE I DON'T WAKE 7" P/S SINGLE CHEAP US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett Cured JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW BONUS TRACKS VJCP-98034 GENESIS US $27.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HACKETT -- Spectral Mornings -- 1979 LP release US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GENESIS : Three Sides Live box for Japan mini lp cd,Peter Gabriel,Steve Hackett, US $59.99 [1 bids]
GENESIS : The way we walk box for Japan mini lp cd,Peter Gabriel,Steve Hackett,P US $59.99 [1 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL / STEVE HACKETT PLEASE DON'T TOUCH US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HACKETT,GENESIS voyage of the acolyte 1975 UK CHARISMA STEREO PROMO LP US $33.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett & Peter Gabriel - I Know What I Like 2CD Japan VERY RARE Genesis!! US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett There Are Many Sides to the night CD brand new sealed Genesis GTR US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett Please Don't Touch CD brand new sealed Genesis GTR US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett Till We Have Faces LMGLP4000 vinyl plays VG/+ duel, myopia PROG ! US $1.68 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT Please Don't Touch CDS 4012 plays VG/+ narnia, kim, how can i PROG US $1.68 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT HIGHLY STRUNG HACK 1 811209-1 VG/+ give it away weightless PROG ! US $1.68 [0 bids]
Steve Hackett Bay of Kings LMGLP3000 plays VG/+ horizons kim black light etc 80s US $1.68 [0 bids]
steve hackett CURED CDS4021 plays VG/+ hope i don't wake can't let go etc PROG ! US $1.68 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT highly strung 1982 UK BLUE CHARISMA STEREO LP + LYRIC INSERT US $25.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett,SEALED 4-LP,2-CD,Genesis Revisited II,White Vinyl Limited Edition US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HACKETT Till We Have Faces LP Record 1984 IMPORT US $14.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Feedback '86 by Steve Hackett (CD, Feb-2013, Century Media/EMI) US $16.75 Buy It Now 1 day
2013 STEVE HACKETT HIGHLY STRUNG JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD GENESIS BONUS TRACK US $34.00 Buy It Now 1 day
3 Steve Hackett Lps Spectral Mornings Defector Cured NEAR MINT FREE US SHIPPING US $32.50 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HACKETT GENESIS Japan 1978 NM LP VOYAGE OF THE ACOHYTE US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir 1993 Viceroy 13 tracks Genesis Brian May Queen US $6.00 [1 bids]
David Palmer & LSO - We Know What We Like - Music of Genesis & Steve Hackett US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett Cell 151 12in single 1983 Tour Edition 3 tracks Genesis US $14.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Eddie Hardin - Wind in the Willows CD 2003 Donovan Steve Hackett Jon Lord NEW US $4.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II 2 CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Ii: Collection CD US $16.35 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Feedback 86 CD US $26.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids CD US $18.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Beyond The Shrouded Horizon CD US $18.22 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Ii CD INSIDE OUT US $21.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Live Rails CD US $19.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Darktown (re-issue 2013) NEW CD US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
GENESIS STEVE HACKETT PLEASE DON'T TOUCH RECORD LP USA CHRYSALIS 1978 US $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett (Genesis) Please Don't Touch LP CHR 1176 Steve Walsh Phil Kansas US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GTR When The Heart Rules The Mind 7" SOUTH AFRICA Steve Howe Steve Hackett YES US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT 15 JAPAN REPLICAS TO THE ORIGINAL LP IN A OBI CD Sealed Box Set US $849.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT Cured LP ex Genesis prog US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GTR - Steve Hackett & Steve Howe (Cassette 1986 Arista) Arena Rock VG COND. US $6.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett Voyage Of The Acolyte CD US $11.87 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT - Highly Strung - Excellent Con LP Record US $13.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett - Momentum (NEW CD) US $19.08 Buy It Now 2 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1980 STEVE HACKETT Defector CL-1-3103 Art Rock USA US $7.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett Lot 3 LP Records Cured Highly Strung A Doll Thats Made In America US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT - CURED 2007 REMASTERED JAPAN MINI LP CD US $33.93 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT - METAMORPHEUS 2007 REMASTERED JAPAN MINI LP CD US $33.93 Buy It Now 2 days
(P) Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II (2012) US $15.26 [0 bids]
? Steve Hackett- Cured (Charisma) (UK) (of Genesis, GTR US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
? Steve Hackett - Highly Strung (of Genesis, GTR) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GENESIS 1970-1975 Box 13 Discs 5.1 Surround, CD DVD Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett US $97.83 [3 bids]
Genesis 1976-1982 12 disc Box Set 5.1 Surround CD DVD Phil Collins Steve Hackett US $83.00 [4 bids]
SQUACKETT (CHRIS) (SQUIRE) (&) (STEVE) (HACKETT) - SEA OF NEW VINYL US $20.20 Buy It Now 2 days
New: CHRIS SQUIRE (Yes Bassist) with Steve Hackett of Genesis - Swiss Choir CD US $6.98 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT - CURED , CHARISMA 1981 , EX/M- ,LP US $7.55 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT GENESIS REVISITED CD JAPAN US $22.49 Buy It Now 2 days
STEVE HACKETT Defector LP - 1980 UK 1ST PRESS Vinyl Album EX+/EX +POSTER US $13.56 Buy It Now 2 days
WATCHER OF THE SKIES STEVE HACKETT 1996 CD Guardian Records CDP 521943 OOP US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Highly Strung by Steve Hackett (CD, Jan-2007 EMI Europe) US $6.99 [0 bids]
STEVE HACKETT - ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA (CD 2005) NEW !! US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett Highly Strung JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK VJCP-98035 GENESIS US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Hackett Time Lapse SEALED 1992 Netherlands CD Genesis GTR King Crimson US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE WL PROMO PRESS!! STEVE HACKETT CURED JAPAN CHARISMA LP NM VINYL!! US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy STEVE HACKETT music online Buy STEVE HACKETT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEVE HACKETT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEVE HACKETT Momentum ratings distribution

STEVE HACKETT Momentum reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Steve's work is very diverse. And I guess that his fan database as well.

There are some who might like his incursions into the world music, but I'm not of these ones. Some might prefer his commercial aspect or even AOR-ish repertoire, but I am not. Some might adore his acoustic works, but I'm not like them either.

FYI, I have just received my mail order of the remastered edition of "Voyage Of The Acolyte". Just for the two bonus tracks "Ace Of W ands" (live) and the extended version of "Shadow Of The Hierophant". So, yes : I am one of those who love his symphonic prog side. A lot.

If "Bay Of Kings" was an enjoyable acoustic album, this one is not of the same calibre. Almost fully guitar- oriented while more fluting and keyboards were available.

There are very few tracks which are appealing to me here. Two actually : "Concert For Munich" which is pleasantly backed up with beautiful flute as well as.keys. And the remastered edition features "Bourée". Good of course. It allows a nice comparison with the flute Tull version. This represents 6'29" out of fifty.

If you fancy pure acoustic sets, maybe that you can appreciate this album but it is too much the same sounds all the way through. It is a relaxing album while you are in the middle of the traffic jams but to fully pay attention to it it rather difficult. Sorry Steve.

Three out of ten. But I'll upgrade it to two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160239) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Review by chessman
4 stars I have always felt that 'Momentum' is almost the forgotten Hackett classical guitar album. It seems to me that 'Bay Of Kings', 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' and 'Metamorpheus' are far better known, and maybe better received. Nevertheless 'Momentum' is a fine album, and takes its place easily amongst the others I've mentioned. Ok, some may say it's 'Bay Of Kings' part two, but there isn't anything wrong with that in my book! Every track here is classic Hackett, atmospheric and delicate, with the standouts being, for me, 'Cavalcanti', 'The Sleeping Sea', 'Concert For Munich' and 'The Vigil'. But there aren't any weak tracks here. Steve's technique is superb, and I still wonder at his ability to play this type of music so well, and then to revert back to 'rock god' status so easily. For lovers of Steve's classical guitar playing, this is simply a must have. His talent just seems to keep on growing, and I always admire his willingness to experiment. He is so consistent, yet diverse; I am truly amazed. This album isn't prog, of course, but it's still an excellent addition to any discerning music lover's collection. Buy it now!

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#161212) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars The momentum is lost

Bay Of Kings constituted the beginning of Steve Hackett's career as a Classical guitarist. Momentum is the follow up to that album and these two albums (together with some future albums in the same vein) should best be seen as making up a parallel recording career, rather than as being part of Hackett's Rock output. Contrasting Bay Of Kings and Momentum with the surrounding Rock albums Highly Strung and Till We Have Faces, the radically different sides of Steve Hackett could not be clearer.

While it is very interesting and highly admirable to have such diverse musical interests and talents, I think that Steve Hackett is best when he blends all of his influences into one rather than focusing on one aspect at a time. There are many Classical guitarists in the world, and many Blues guitarists too, and Rock guitarists, etc. But what is so special about Steve for me is his ability to fuse different styles into something unique and exciting. This ability is put on hold whenever he decides to go into one single direction for a whole album like here when he goes fully into Classical music. A few years later he would make a pure Blues Rock album that I feel the same way about. His 1994 album Guitar Noir, on the other hand, is a great example of an album that shows all the different aspects of the man within the context of the same album; Rock, Pop, Blues, Jazz, Folk and Classical.

While Bay Of Kings had revisited a couple of earlier pieces (like Genesis' Horizons), Momentum is made up entirely by previously unheard material all written by Hackett himself with the exception of one traditional piece. Apart from occasional flutes by his brother John Hackett, Steve's acoustic guitar is the only ingredient of Momentum. The opening number Cavalcanti is the highlight for me with a beautiful flute part. But very soon the momentum is lost and the album cannot stay interesting for very long I'm afraid. It lacks diversity and any real distinguishing features. Even if many of the individual pieces are very nice, the album as a whole gets boring quite quickly.

Steve Hackett has a Rock career and a Classical career running parallel to each other. It is obvious which one of these is of most interest to the people on this site. Like Bay Of Kings I can recommend this album only to fans and collectors of Steve Hackett and to people with a strong special interest in Classical guitar music.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#230460) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars 2.5 stars, really. It´s interesting - and also quite telling - that this Steve Hackett acoustic album is so obscure. it is even more classical driven than his first, Bay Of Kings. And that´s the problem here. It is almost pure classical music and nothing else. The instrumentation is kept to the acoustic nylon stringed guitar most of the time. Sometimes, just sometimes, you can hear a flute in the background and some very discreet string keyboards. As usual, Hackett does display his fine technique, but this is an album for the ones who like acoustic guitar classical music. The prog element is missing here and tehre is not rock, of course.

Having said that, I must say this is not a bad album. It has some good melodies here and there, but don´t expect anything with the same quality of something like Horizons or After The Ordeal. The best tracks to my ears are Vigil and his arrangement for the traditional tune Bourée. Concert For Munich is also quite interesting. The rest is nice too, but the CD gets a little boring after some time. SH is capable of much beter things, acoustic ou otherwise.

If you like classical music played on the guitar, there is a chance you like this album very much. But I don´t think SH wrote his best instrumental pieces on this album. It just didn´t click for me.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#347271) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Review by colorofmoney91
4 stars i consider Momentum to be a superior classical guitar album over Bay of Kings, mostly because the guitar doesn't sound drowned out by synthetic amplifier filters. Also, the compositions have a bit more energy and are overall much more in the classical style. In addition, the new-age symphonic sounds are absent for the most part, though some small touches are noticeable occasionally. Of course, as always, Steve Hackett can play some mean guitar. All of his original compositions here are played with fantastic technique, and the compositions themselves are written with integrity. Most contemporary classical guitar composers have a tendency to write over-simplified and unbearably boring compositions (Andrew York!... ahem). Hackett's compositions are consistent in sounding authentically classical while also adding touches of contemporary styles that make his music stand out above most others' music, making Steve Hackett among the best contemporary classical composers around today.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#431201) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 11, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars If it seems like Steve had decided to have two careers running in parallel by this point, it's because he had. On the one hand, you had the guy who was trying to incorporate contemporary influences into his sound, but often failing simply because he was a dude from the 70s trying to make contemporary music in the 80s, which wasn't working out even for a lot of people more talented than Steve overall. On the other hand, you had the guy who wanted to keep writing classically-influenced acoustic guitar pieces in his spare time, and who had decided it was better to release them in bulk than to release them piecemeal in his other albums. Even if there are some differences between the two albums overall, this is essentially Bay of Kings Part 2, and I'd be very curious to know the rationale one would have for rating the two significantly differently from each other.

If there are significant differences between this album and its predecessor, they would be the following: (1) the classical leanings are often more explicit (one track is based around a Chopin piece, and one of the bonus tracks is a cover of the same Bach piece that Jethro Tull used as the core of "Bouree"), and (2) the pieces are even more about atmosphere and less about memorability. I definitely do not find myself improvising hummed vocal melodies over these pieces like I did over some of the Bay of Kings pieces; for the most part, these are pieces that I definitely appreciate as nice background, but not as a great deal more. It's interesting to read Steve's brief comments on each of the pieces, giving a sense of what he was trying to convey with each, but even so armed with these notes I can't really make the connection between what I hear and what he says.

Honestly, aside from the slightly out-of-place "Concert for Munich," which prominently features an organ-like synthesizer to give some fuller orchestration to the piece, the album doesn't really become that engaging until the bonus tracks, two of which end up being the best pieces on the album. "An Open Window" is a bonafide nine-minute epic; the first 3:20 or so makes for a pleasant piece that would have been one of the best on the album if left by itself, but then there's a dramatic shift in tone, and the piece goes from loud to soft and angry to pleasant and never stops being engaging. "The Vigil" is a little less ambitious, but still very striking and memorable, as it's based around a small number of discernable themes that Steve effectively expands upon. In other words, it actually sounds like something from the Steve Hackett that I liked so much in the first place.

While Steve would do acoustic-centric work again, and while he'd do some classically- oriented work again, this ended up being the last of his all-instrumental acoustic guitar studio albums for a while, and this was probably a good thing. This and Bay of Kings make for some good music, to be sure, but aside from a couple of tracks here and there, they definitely don't make for great music unless you're addicted to classical guitar and it turns out that Steve was secretly a giant in that world (which I doubt). As with its predecessor, this is worth hearing a few times if you're curious and you're already a serious fan, but casual fans probably don't need to bother.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#933049) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013

4 stars Momentum is a natural follow-on from the "Bay Of Kings" album and sees Steve exploring more textures than in his previous acoustic album. The mood varies quite considerably - from the child- like playfullness of "A Bed, a Chair and a Guitar", the up-tempo title track and finally to the almost hea ... (read more)

Report this review (#80085) | Posted by salamis | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEVE HACKETT "Momentum"