Steve Hackett

Steve Hackett Sketches Of Satie album cover

Good, but non-essential

from partners
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Gnossienne No. 3 (2:24)
2. Gnossienne No. 2 (1:56)
3. Gnossienne No. 1 (3:18)
4. Gymnopédie No. 3 (2:36)
5. Gymnopédie No. 2 (2:52)
6. Gymnopédie No. 1 (3:55)
7. Pièces Froides No. 1 Airs À Faire Fuir I (2:46)
8. Pièces Froides No. 1 Airs À Faire Fuir II (1:36)
9. Pièces Froides No. 2 (2:05)
10. Avant Dernières Pensées Idylle ÀDebussy (0:57)
11. Avant Dernières Pensées Aubade À Paul Dukas (1:11)
12. Avant Dernières Pensées Méditation À Albert Roussel (0:54)
13. Gnossienne No. 4 (2:41)
14. Gnossienne No. 5 (3:20)
15. Gnossienne No. 6 (1:41)
16. Nocturnes No. 1 (3:31)
17. Nocturnes No. 2 (2:14)
18. Nocturnes No. 3 (3:36)
19. Nocturnes No. 4 (2:49)
20. Nocturnes No. 5 (2:27)

Search STEVE HACKETT Sketches Of Satie lyrics

Search STEVE HACKETT Sketches Of Satie tabs

- Steve Hackett / guitar, arrangements
- John Hackett / flute, arrangements

Not a solo work but a collaboration between John Hackett & Steve Hackett ‎

Artwork: Harry Pearce based on a drawing by Jean Cocteau

CD Camino Records ‎- CAMCD 20 (2000, UK)

and to Quinino for the last updates

STEVE HACKETT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEVE HACKETT Sketches Of Satie Music

More places to buy STEVE HACKETT music online Buy STEVE HACKETT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

STEVE HACKETT Sketches Of Satie ratings distribution

STEVE HACKETT Sketches Of Satie reviews

Review by soundsweird
4 stars I had to buy this album, since I am a big fan of the composer as well as the performers. The sound quality is wonderful, and the performances are fine. My only complaint is that the Hacketts decided to play some of the pieces a lot slower than I am used to hearing them. Usually, that would be a plus for me, but not when the tempo is such that it seems to plod along. Hmmm...maybe I'll buy one of those players that has an adjustable speed control...
Review by chessman
4 stars Another excellent offering, this time from the Hackett brothers. Their interpretations of classical composer Erik Satie are subtle, atmospheric and interesting. Twenty tracks here, but none are very long, and I won't go into individual pieces, as they all blend and meld together exquisitely to make one satisfying whole. It is John who takes the lead on most of the pieces, his flute work delicate and considered. Steve backs him wonderfully, remaining in the background for the most part, his guitar providing the soundscapes and counterpoints to the flighty, almost fairy-like flute parts. This record is just another example of Steve's and John's diversity and wonderful ability to make superb music, whether it be original compositions or distinctive interpretations of some of their major influences. A must have for fans of both Hacketts. This album is especially effective when listened to in the dark, or semi-dark on winter nights. Beautiful. Four stars, even though the music isn't mainstream.
Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This is another classical album by Steve. This time again with his brother on the flute.

He decided to cover some pieces written about a century prior this album by a French composer : Satie. but I don't know the original work (this type of music not being at all my cup of tea). It is again a very personal work from Steve which can leave some of his fans (like myself) somewhat perplex.

The whole of the album features very quite music and if several pieces are pleasant to be heard separately, I have to say that almost fifty minutes of this treat is too much for me. But while being sliced, it is a nice and peaceful music to listen to.

Definitely relaxing and ambient. The "Gymnopédies" pieces will also inspire Brian Eno. The music in here is too monotonous to be attractive for the ones who prefer the symphonic side of the man. And I have repeated several times during my reviews from his works that albums like "Voyage.", "Spectral." were my preferred ones. Even if his first fully acoustic album ("Bay Of Kings") was not too bad an exercise (as far as my ability to appreciate this type of work is concerned).

I would rate this album like "A Midsummer Night's Dream" : two stars. If you are into classical music, you might be seduced; otherwise, just pass your way.

Review by colorofmoney91
4 stars Sketches of Satie is a collection of compositions by French impressionist/minimalist composer Erik Satie recorded by Steve Hackett and his flute-playing brother, John. I came about this originally just looking for a collection of Satie recordings, and I noticed Steve Hackett's name on the list and immediately decided to look into it. I'm definitely glad I did, because this music is beautiful through and through. I've never been a fan of minimalist classical music, but definitely one of the earliest and his music is injected with a fantastic dose of impressionism in the vein of Debussy or Ravel. This recording may not do much for progressive rock fans, but classical fans would definitely find this highly enjoyable. After this, I decided to get all of Steve Hackett's classical oriented albums, and none of them are a let down. He truly is a very talented guitarist. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for absolutely captivating ethereal music that could make any grown man cry.
Review by SouthSideoftheSky
2 stars No. 4

Even though this is credited not to Steve alone but to him and his brother John collectively, Sketches Of Satie readily falls into Steve Hackett's Classical output following the albums Bay Of Kings, Momentum and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Unlike those albums however, the music here is by Classical composer Erik Satie and performed by Steve and John on acoustic guitar and flute respectively.

I find this music beautiful, pleasant and relaxing, but it does tend to get repetitive after a while as there is no instrumental variation and very little variation in style and tempo throughout the album. Needless to add Sketches Of Satie has nothing to do with Steve Hackett's career as a Rock artist and it has nothing whatever to do with progressive Rock. This is an album of Classical music period.

If you are curious about this music I would recommend to start with the (semi-) acoustic live concert DVD Hungarian Horizons in which Steve and John accompanied by keyboard player Roger King perform some pieces from this album together with many other pieces from throughout Steve's career including instrumental adaptations of several Genesis songs. This acoustically driven live performance draws from many sources and features more variation both instrumentally and in tempos and styles (not just Classical music but also some Folk and Jazz).

Sketches Of Satie is rather nice and pleasant, but really only recommended for fans of Steve Hackett's Classical side.

4 stars As a person who also loves classical music it is close to obligatory that I at least try and listen into any remakes of classical stuff by prog or other rock artists. Some are close to horrible, even making the composers turn in their graves, others can easily compete with recordings by the most ... (read more)

Report this review (#1386929) | Posted by Losimba | Wednesday, March 25, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Nice Piece of art. this is maybe not prog as you know it but in some kind of way the music progress and its very well played. John Hackett its very good and his sound its too Soft and well Executed.The pieces are not slower,the Satie style is slow and very atmospheric. If you like all the piece ... (read more)

Report this review (#53505) | Posted by bamba | Wednesday, October 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEVE HACKETT "Sketches Of Satie"