SWADDLING SONGS

Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Heaven Heath (3:00)
2. Sheep Season (5:01)
3. Silver Song (4:26)
4. The Poet And The Witch (2:51)
5. Messenger Birds (3:39)
6. Dan The Wing (2:45)
7. Reverend Sisters (4:21)
8. Break Your Token (2:27)
9. Buy Or Beware (3:05)
10. Vile Excesses (3:14)
11. Lonely Man (4:28)
12. Boulders On My Grave (3:40)
13. Feeling High (2:23) *

- Clodagh Simonds / vocals, keyboards
- Alison Williams / lead vocals
- David Williams / guitar, vocals

LP: Deram SDL 7
CD: See for Miles SEECD 404 (1994)

and to Fitzcarraldo for the last updates

MELLOW CANDLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MELLOW CANDLE Swaddling Songs Music

Kissing Spell 2004
Swaddling Songs PlusSwaddling Songs Plus
Imports 2011
Vinyl$55.28
Swaddling Songs by Mellow Candle Import edition (2008) Audio CDSwaddling Songs by Mellow Candle Import edition (2008) Audio CD
Esoteric
MELLOW CANDLE - SWADDLING SONGS UK PSYCH FOLK SEALED OOP ACME CD+ 2 BONUS TRACKS US $22.95 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs 1972 Japan 1st press cd EDISON UK folk prog RARE US $25.90 Buy It Now 1 day
MELLOW CANDLE THE VIRGIN PROPHET / UNRELEASED US $169.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SUNDAY SUNSHINE the world of SNB records CD MELLOW CANDLE JON PLUM ANDY ELLISON US $8.99 [0 bids]
MELLOW CANDLE SWADDLING SONGS 1972 JAPAN CD OBI 2920yen ERC 1ST PRESS US $79.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALISON O'DONNELL - HEY HEY HIPPY WITCH (NEW & SEALED) CD Rock Ex Mellow Candle US $8.48 Buy It Now 6 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs Plus & 2 x Bonus 7" (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $102.84 Buy It Now 6 days
MELLOW CANDLE - SWADDLING SONGS NEW CD US $34.06 Buy It Now 7 days
Mellow Candle-The Virgin Prophet UK folk psych cd US $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MELLOW CANDLE JAPAN MINI SWADDLING SONGS SHM-CD US $45.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Mellow Candle:st Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd tudor lodge steeleye Z US $90.00 Buy It Now 8 days
MELLOW CANDLE-SWADDLING SONGS - JAPAN w/OBI ERC-29223 US $30.00 Buy It Now 8 days
MELLOW CANDLE-SWADDLING SONGS-JAPAN SHM-CD 1222 D50 US $20.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Mellow Candle:Swaddling Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd steeleye fairport Q US $71.25 Buy It Now 9 days
Swaddling Songs, Mellow Candle, Very Good Import US $25.03 Buy It Now 12 days
Alison O' Donnell Hey Hey Hippy Witch CD NEW SEALED Mellow Candle Irish Folk US $10.18 Buy It Now 13 days
Swaddling Songs * by Mellow Candle (CD, Mar-2008, Esoteric Recordings) US $13.38 Buy It Now 14 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs CD US $28.70 Buy It Now 14 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs [CD New] US $16.33 Buy It Now 15 days
FOLK STUDIO A LP/1985 Folk Rock/Spriguns/Mellow Candle/Fairport Convention US $42.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs ~ Remastered and repackaged - ECLEC2044 US $18.56 Buy It Now 19 days
MELLOW CANDLE - SWADDLING SONGS PLUS (UK) NEW VINYL US $102.51 Buy It Now 19 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs Plus [Vinyl New] US $80.92 Buy It Now 20 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 20 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs Plus (includes 2 X Bonus 7 Inch) NEW 2 x LP US $70.55 Buy It Now 20 days
MELLOW CANDLE SWADDLING SONGS 1972 JAPAN CD OBI 1800yen POCD US $59.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs Plus Import-UK 2 LP Incl. 7-Inch Single Record US $82.30 Buy It Now 21 days
Mellow Candle ?- Swaddling Songs LP Brand New Sealed Folk Rock US $26.99 Buy It Now 22 days
MELLOW CANDLE / SWADDING SONGS Forest Trees Free shipping US $55.00 Buy It Now 23 days
CAROL OF HARVEST LP/1978 Germany/Top Prog-Folk Rock/Mellow Candle/Pentangle US $39.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Mellow Candle ?- Swaddling Songs Plus 2 LPs + 2 7"s Vinyl RARE BOX SET SHRINK US $175.99 Buy It Now 23 days
MELLOW CANDLE - SWADDLING SONGS * - NEW CD US $13.38 Buy It Now 24 days
Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs (NEW CD) US $19.96 Buy It Now 27 days
Mellow Candle ?Swaddling Songs Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Swaddling Songs Plus - Mellow Candle New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $80.93 Buy It Now 28 days
MELLOW CANDLE SWADDING SONGS PROG PSYCH TAPESTRY AKARMA 180g LIMITED LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MELLOW CANDLE - THE VIRGIN PROPHET - FOLK / PSYCHE US $21.40 Buy It Now 28 days
MELLOW CANDLE Japan Mini LP CD with OBI, SWADDING SONGS US $39.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MELLOW CANDLE: Swaddling Songs LP (South Korea, '93 reissue on black vinyl, gat US $40.00 Buy It Now 29 days
MELLOW CANDLE Swaddling Songs CD/1972 Ireland/TOP FOLK ROCK!/Fairport Convention US $26.99 Buy It Now 29 days
SPIROGYRA OLD BOOT WINE PROMO EMPTY BOX FOR JAPAN MINI LP MELLOW CANDLE FOREST US $44.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MELLOW CANDLE music online Buy MELLOW CANDLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MELLOW CANDLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MELLOW CANDLE Swaddling Songs ratings distribution

MELLOW CANDLE Swaddling Songs reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars A nice folk-rock album that fits that mould perfectly but does not bring anything new to the style and certainly no more to originality. The songs are fairly short and standard with good musicianship and sometimes gorgeous harmonies and melodies. The female singer has a typical voice in the mould of Maddy Prior of Steeleye, Sandy Denny of Fairport, Jacqui McShee of Pentangle and Celia Humphrys of the Trees, but the music here certainly is not up to par with the last two groups mentioned in that list. Don't get me wrong , this is a fine enjoyable album , but nothing special and there are many other folk-rock bands to investigate before hunting down this one, but it will be a good addition to your collection if you are into that style of music ( and I am )

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#26394) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Review by NJprogfan
4 stars One shot album that should not be missed by any fan into folk/prog. Excellent muscianship, although at first you might be taken by the women singing which are angelic on tracks like, "Heaven Health" and "Sheep Season", (my favorite song) and then rock on tracks like, "The Poet and The Witch" and "Dan The Wing". The first few tracks have a very modern folk sound which wouldn't sound out of place on a Sarah McLachlan album, superb! The only track that keeps this from a five-star rating is "Lonely Man" a bluesy rocker that sounds dated and sticks out like a sore thumb. The one thing that I love about this album is that you can concentrate on the singing all the way through, then play it again and just listen to the instruments. It just doesn't get boring, (like some folk albums). This compares to the best of Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne, and Fairport Convention. A must buy four-star folk/prog gem.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#26396) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars As this band originates from Ireland, it is not a surprise that there are exceptionally fine melodies on their songs, along with some Christian themes. The gentle amplified bass and electric guitars with drums keep the band within rock frame of reference, but this isn't very psychedelic music in my opinion, as the songs are coherently logical and do not contain very surreal feelings in them. In the song "Heaven Heath" some harpsichord runs bring a slight baroque feeling to their music, but this is not very purist medieval folk music either.

The song "Sheep Season" reminded me the sounds on the "On The Shore" album by The Trees. There are also some slightly symphonic passages at the end of the song, where guitar, piano and flute do solos over the nicely pulsing rhythm section, and they let it to grow in wonderful heights. Sadly the climax remains unheard, as there is a fadeout here, a solution which I got quite serious issues at one time. "Silver Song" is then a more bluesy tune, having truly unbelievable beautiful guitar and singing melodies. Stunning harmonies for two female singers are introduced here, and they are maybe the most notable feature of this record. These double vocals are also powerfully present on "Break Your Token", and on song "Reverend Sisters" which is a pretty piano driven piece. "Vile Excesses" has a nice dialogue with these voices mingling in the verses, and the fast final song "Boulders on My Grave" has interesting wordless singing on it. There are also few faster slightly rockier tunes here, like "Buy or Beware" and the strong "The Poet and The Witch", which emerges from a short soundscape of a sea.

I think that the songs on the beginning of the album are a bit better compositions, though the rest are no bad either. Sadly my version didn't have the two bonus tracks, as they would have been interesting to hear. If you want to hear more Irish proggy folk, check out Mushroom's "Early One Morning", being a fine album done in bit more rockier acid folk style.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#84242) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 20, 2006

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars We wait in the Cathedral

Swaddling Songs is very, prog-churchy if you will. Many of the songs seem as if they could be turned into Christian hymns quite easily (though their already is obvious religious references. The female vocalist here is quite good, with a very angelic voice and fits well with the low key nature of the music.

As others have stated, it's not exactly revolutionary. Much of it is very simple, relaxing music. Melodies have a nice quality to them, but don't particularly stand out. My favorite moment is in Silver Song, where the piano seems as if it is weeping, a very touching moment. However, these moving moments are few and far between, and the album seems far too "nice, and pleasant". I realize this is a good quality to have, and one might wonder why I would dislike such notions. It's not that it's merely pleasant, it's that it is almost too laid back. In spite of this, Mellow Candle would have been interesting to see at a prog show, and much of this seems like it would fit right in with events like the Renaissance Festival.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#109813) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars The original LP flopped at the time but has later been prized up to 500 pounds among collectors, informs the leaflet about this folk- rock classic. (The CD appeared as late as in 1994 and I had the opportunity to borrow this from library, as usual.) How unfair can music biz be! A band as talented and music as nice as this is ignored? I believe one even doesn't have to be a FOLK-rock enthusiast to like this, quite the opposite, listening to this today can MAKE one interested in that genre and era.

It may be said that this Irish quintet didn't bring anything clearly new; genre's major acts Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, and several lesser bands such as Trees, had started some years before. Mellow Candle, however, were just slightly more psychedelic, and they composed all songs by themselves (instead of Trad.). I find this album more interesting than what I've heard from the mentioned bands. The playing is sharp and intricate - piano, acoustic and electric guitar, bass and drums - and the harmonic vocals of ladies Alison and Clodagh are absolutely lovely. (Here and there I came to think of the women of ABBA - and this is NO bad thing, whatever opinion you may have on ABBA's music.) Musically the tracks can be roughly divided into ethearal beauties and edgier uptempo songs, both handled equally well, though maybe the latter ones offer more-of-the-same towards the end of the album. The wonderful opener 'Heaven Heath' is a mellow and rich song in between, with a medieval-like feel. 'Reverend Sisters' is a fantastic number of the female duet and piano.

Singer-pianist Clodagh Simonds, the writer of the majority of songs, has later worked with Andy Warhol and Robert Fripp, and drummer William Murray has played for Mike oldfield and Richard & Linda Thompson, but otherwise they disappeared without a trace. For Prog Folk lovers this is a MUST. Not quite 5 stars but pretty close...

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#138231) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 14, 2007

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars I’ve heard several of these tracks in early form thanks to the 1996 rarities & demos release ‘The Virgin Prophet’, and I have to say these finished versions benefited greatly from some studio polishing and production.

Mellow Candle are near-legendary in prog folk circles, and deservedly so. This was their only studio release, but every song here is a folk delight with mild psych overtones and occasionally even a little rocking out. Best of all, the band features a pair of women whose voices seem to have been made to sing folk music - Clodagh Simonds and Alison Williams. Both have rich, expressive voices that carry each tune to heights that a male troubadour would not have been able. The two of them also either wrote or co-wrote all but two songs on the album (“Vile Excesses” and “Buy or Beware”, both of which are credited largely to Ms. Williams’ brother David).

These are short songs in traditional folk form for the most part, all of them lasting less than five minutes with several of less than three minutes. But each seems to portray a complete thought or theme without coming across as rushed or incomplete, something novice folk bands sometimes have a tendency to do.

The instrumentation is pretty simple: bass, guitar, drums and keyboards (mostly piano). The bulk of the music comes from the voices of the two ladies, typically with one singing lead and the other harmonizing, but occasionally in duet. The two of them make for a beautiful medley of sound throughout.

Most of the tracks are unhurried, introspective and somewhat earthy in tone. A few times David Williams ratchets up his guitar a bit with a combination of psych and mellow rock flair such as on “Lonely Man” and “Buy or Beware”, but these times are few and far between. A few tracks like “Dan the Wing” and “Break your Token” have a decidedly Irish lilt to them, but mostly this is just some good folk music without pretension or pompousness.

One track sticks in my mind as something I’m sure I heard as a youngster, the Mamas & Papas- sounding “Buy or Beware”. Ms. Williams and Ms. Simonds sound just like Mama Cass Elliott and Michelle Phillips. I don’t know if this was ever released as a single, but the line “I want no water with my wine” strikes me as something I’ve heard before.

This is a very easy to listen to album, and doesn’t really strike me as dated-sounding although the musical style was in decline even when this was recorded in the early seventies. No matter, prog folk fans hold the album in high esteem for the most part, and now that I’ve had a chance to play it a few times so do I. Four stars for the ladies and their accompanying men. Too bad Mellow Candle weren’t able to make more of a go of things back then, but this album leaves an impressive and lasting legacy. Highly recommended to prog folk fans for sure.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#173882) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Folk prog always manages to get me. Especially when there's bass line clear to hear. I don't know why, but to this beautiful voice and mild instruments, bass guitar simply fits me perfectly. Whole album sounds surprisingly fresh and new. First I though that it's new release (if I wouldn't be aware of it's year of birth). And not only sounding refreshing, but surprisingly proggy. I though that I should rate prog folk albums as good folk ones with flavour of prog, but this one (again, mostly due to bass and piano) sounds like prog. I feel like listening something influenced by (or something that influenced) Renaissance at times. Even it's not as good and her voice is not as good as (but after all, what is). I'm pleased very much.

4(+) for great prog folk album. There are flaws, it's sometimes not strong enough, but that's rare.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#246561) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Another one shot band that unfortunalty didn´t stay around long enough to fulfill their obvious grand potential. This time is an irish outfiit that came out under the name of Mellow Candle. Their only CD, Swadling Songs, was quite strong and had some very good tracks, with agfood musicanship and nice female voals that reminds me of the pastoral side of Renaissance and other prog folk bands of the time like Fairport Convention. David Williams provided some very nice guitar lines and Alison Williams had an excellent voice. I believe they influenced a whole generation fo irish bands that followed in the next decade, like Clannad.

Most of the tracks are very well crafted and recorded, the band had a very tight rhythm section .Clodagh Simonds beautiful harmony vocals and her very effective keyboard playing are one the bands best features. Their sound is a very good mix orf prog rock and folk and i think they were a bit ahead of their time. I can´t find no other explanation why this record failed to make a bigger impact on the folk-rock scene (maybe fueled by bad manangement and/or internal squabbles, I really don´t know). Anyway, at least they left this little gem here for posterity. All tracks are good and varied, helped by their tasteful arrangement and excellent musicanship.

If you´re into prog folk, or good melodic music in general you should not miss this one. An excelent assition to any prog music collectio. Rating: four strong stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#253279) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 28, 2009

4 stars Rare are the prog bands from Ireland. Fruupp, yes and Mellow Candle. Coming from Dublin more precisely, this unknown one shot band belongs to the brilliant obscure bands of the seventies who only produced an album, but a gem. I think of England, Spring (the posthumous compilations forgotten). ... (read more)

Report this review (#266484) | Posted by Thierry | Tuesday, February 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If I had to choose just one album to carry me through the rest of my life, I would seriously consider choosing this gem. Absolutely breathtaking from beginning to end. Well, check that, because oddly, I would rank the very first track as the least important, but after that, it is just one mast ... (read more)

Report this review (#182794) | Posted by Jeff Carney | Thursday, September 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the finest and best folk albums from England in the 70's. Have a melancholic feeling, beautiful female dual vocals and loads of superb acoustic guitars. This is one of the folk albums you really need ! ... (read more)

Report this review (#135385) | Posted by JohnnyC | Wednesday, August 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars "Swaddling Songs" is cosmetically a very typical folk-rock album and does not bring any new influences or progressive elements to the genre. On the otherhand, Mellow Candle's playing is very tight and at times can be lush and/or technical. Also, upon listening one realizes the beauty of the tw ... (read more)

Report this review (#42748) | Posted by | Saturday, August 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I had this album for about a year and thought it was ok. When I read something on it and decided to play it again I was blown away. This has got to be one of the greatest debut albums of all time. If you like Progressive music with folk and jazz strains you will love this album. I like this mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#26395) | Posted by | Friday, July 30, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MELLOW CANDLE "Swaddling Songs"