WHITE MOUNTAIN

- Henrik Domingo / guitars, voices
- Olli Juvonen / bass
- Pauli Saarikivi /guitars, voices
- Aleksi Gustafsson / drums

CD Pyramid Records RAMCD3117 (2010)

Thanks to damoxt7942 for the addition

KIKI PAU MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KIKI PAU White Mountain Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
PinesPines
Beyond Beyond Is 2013
Vinyl$15.49

More places to buy KIKI PAU music online Buy KIKI PAU & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KIKI PAU DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KIKI PAU White Mountain ratings distribution

KIKI PAU White Mountain reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars This Finnish band must have been added quite lately, I didn't have any idea of their inclusion into PA when I borrowed this CD from library. I first got curious after reading - exactly a month ago - a gig article from our largest newspaper where they were called as mannequins of the evolution of the Finnish prog. "Having started with half-baked indie rock the band re-established themselves with their 2013 album Pines, in which are combined the flavour of old Finnish prog, mistily swinging psychedelic stickiness and self-assured playfulness." (Sorry for not finding proper English words for 'kuulaus' and 'jumitus'!)

Well, just as can be figured out from the article, on this second album they haven't yet found their [prog] style. Frankly this music mostly sounds like indie rock indeed. Perhaps 'half-baked' in the sense that no compositions nor the arrangements are very sophisticated, but the certain honest nature is also its strength. I'm not much into that type of rock so I'm not very qualified in naming references. Vocals are a bit like in bands such as Crowded House or Coldplay but with more street credibility. There are two guitarists and no keyboards. Most songs are in rather fast tempo, some are more playful than others. Not very much of psychedelic flavour either; I think the early U2 can be estimated as equally psychedelic. Actually this music occasionally reminds me somehow of early U2 (which I like).

The absence of prog doesn't mean this wasn't fairly good rock music. Most of modern non-prog middle-of-the-road rock leaves me totally intact and uninterested, but I mildly enjoy some tracks here - not listened to with prog ears but with more easy-going earthly ears. Apart from the 10-minute closer 'Moon Palace', not much of anything sticks into my memory, but on the other hand it can be considered as a good sign too: it feels OK to play the album for the second round immediately.

The most stand-out track 'Moon Palace' is interesting, calm, slow and atmospheric. The sparse vocals have some Lou Reed feel here and there. I believe that may be a conscious attempt. Hopefully I get the chance to hear the aforementioned latest album, since already here they show some promises.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1152260) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 22, 2014

Post a review of KIKI PAU "White Mountain"