THE CURRENT

Buy MIDDAY VEIL Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

01. The Current (06:51)
02. Choreia (05:57)
03. Remember Child (07:13)
04. Without And Within (07:55)
05. Sun Stone (03:30)
06. Great Cold Of The Night (11:11)

Search MIDDAY VEIL The Current lyrics

- Garrett Moore / Drums

September 9, 2013
Label: Translinguistic Other

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

MIDDAY VEIL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MIDDAY VEIL The Current Music

Eyes All AroundEyes All Around
Translinguistic 2011

More places to buy MIDDAY VEIL music online Buy MIDDAY VEIL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MIDDAY VEIL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MIDDAY VEIL The Current ratings distribution

MIDDAY VEIL The Current reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars Midday Veil. I can't think of a better name for this strange band. In all honesty, on my first listen to "The Current", I couldn't help but think, "Is this even music?" But, on subsequent listens; I learned, I grew, and I began to appreciate the beautifully odd soundscapes that I was being presented. "The Current" is certainly a great name for this album, as it seems like a great electronic, atmospheric flow of energy through my brain.

This Seattle-based band plays a very psychedelic brand of prog rock, though I would point out that it almost borders on post-rock sometimes. The music is very texture-oriented, but there are a few prog rock songs on here that have somewhat of a "normal" structure, too. The female vocals are hauntingly beautiful, and perfectly complement the eerie atmospheres and the cosmic vibe. The music really is genius; as we hear great, melodic prog rock songs to barren, electronic soundscapes to dark post-rock tracks that progress at a snail's pace (just like they should). There's nothing technical here. There's nothing worth headbanging to, if that's your thing. However, there is plenty here for you to close your eyes, absorb the atmosphere, and just enjoy the beauty of the incredible synth and vocals. This album, then, is about subtlety and hypnosis more than technical skill. On a side note, I often get a Bladerunner vibe from this album. I think the synth may be zeroed in right on the perfect 80's sci-fi sound, which I think is just awesome.

With all of that said, however, the album is mostly instrumental. The album opens with a prog rock song, and also closes with one. The middle of the album, then, is full of texture and foundation for the final 11+ minute track. Some have called this album "scary" and "disturbing". I can understand that, but I would rather call this album "mesmerizing" and "immersive". Few bands can experiment with such structure and sound, and get away with it. Midday Veil does it, though. Along the way, they envelop the listener in a flow of energy, tone, and art that doesn't quite sound like anything else out there. They also have created a great album that will only get better with each listen.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1027151) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 02, 2013

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Some fascination hooked me immediately, I must admit, but it took a long road to come across in the end. I generally need time to breathe in music, which - depending on my current mood - often enough sounds different. So 'The Current' did not take me by storm so to say, maybe due to an attitude which is not very accessible ... at a first glance. The band is headed by two keyboarders, namely Emily Pothast and David Golightly. As for that it's not a surprise really when synths respectively electronics are dominating the production.

The opening tile track shows a lot about the album's characteristics, I mean the hypnotic looping flow for example, which is resembling a proper krautrock appeal all the way through. With the next (nearly) instrumental Choreia the album turns away from a rocking behaviour into a strong cinematic direction due to dramatically arranged synths/electronics. Dark and sentimental - the mesmerising Remember Child sounds like adapted from a traditional Irish Folk song somehow. Don't listen to this when you're in a bad temper, this may suck you down!

Sun Stone then is a fine spacey intermezzo leading over into the longest track Great Cold Of The Night - this one appears in a psychedelic rock outfit again, featuring some prominent guitar work this time. I would describe Emily's vocals as a blend of a Kate Bush and Rose Kemp approach. Worth it to explore - the album definitely brings something new to the table. 'The Current' is a fascinating affair in its own way. That means the MIDDAY VEIL line-up provides an absolutely unique output - consequently I have problems to name any band or artist for a proper comparisn.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#1118407) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014

4 stars A modern psychedelia-extraordinaire group carrying forward the Krautrock traditions of CAN and BRAINTICKET, this album is at times a bit crippled by the fact that their music is really meant to be accompanied by their multi-media stage show and, therefore, at time gets a little repetitive and ... (read more)

Report this review (#1075022) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Sunday, November 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MIDDAY VEIL "The Current"