VISIONS FROM REALITIES

Active Heed Visions From Realities album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ACTIVE HEED Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. Flying Like a Fly (2:53)
2. Awake?! (1:53)
3. Now What? (1:34)
4. Me, Five Seconds Before (2:42)
5. With Joy (2:26)
6. Melting of Realities (3:21)
7. Forest and Joy (3:32)
8. The Weakness of Our Spinning (2:42)
9. Without Joy (1:43)
10. Every Ten Seconds Before (5:49)
11. F F F Flashing Fast Forward (3:28)
12. If I Will Never Be (4:33)
13. Me, One Second Before Johan Robeck (4:06)
14. Usual Plays in Heaven / Be Kind and Talk to Me (4:47)
15. Our Vast Emptiness (4:40)

Total time 50:09

- Giovanni Giorgi / drums
With:
- Marit Børresen / vocals
- Mark Colton / vocals

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

ACTIVE HEED MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ACTIVE HEED Visions From Realities Music

Visions From RealitiesVisions From Realities
Imports 2013
Higher DimensionsHigher Dimensions
CD Baby 2014

More places to buy ACTIVE HEED music online Buy ACTIVE HEED & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ACTIVE HEED DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ACTIVE HEED Visions From Realities ratings distribution

ACTIVE HEED Visions From Realities reviews

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions and Crossover Team
2 stars Active Heed is, in fact, a musical project whose leader is the Italian, Umberto Pagnini. After writing the songs he called a bunch of musicians to help him put his work on a CD. The base of musicians that played in Visions From Realities (2013) consists of the trio Lorenzo Poli (bass, guitars and keyboards), Giovanni Giorgi (drums) and PelleK (vocals). He also had some help with the vocals by Marit Børresen and Mark Colton.

Before I start to talk about the songs from Visions From Realities (2013) I have to give a warning. This album was sent to me by the band a couple of months ago and the band knew that I only reviewed Prog Rock albums. In fact, Active Heed has been reviewed mainly in the Prog Rock circuits but I must be honest and say that the amount of Prog Rock in the album is way too little.

As soon as Visions From Realities (2013) begins with 'Flying Like A Fly' one can actually notice that even if Active Heed has Prog influences, they're far from being a Prog band. In fact, as the album goes forward the only prog moments are in the songs 'Awake?!', 'Now What?' and 'Me, Five Seconds Before'. These songs have a slightly Prog influence, but they're more inclined to be acoustic Rock/Pop songs with nice and weird keyboards. But that's not really enough Prog for Active Heed to be called a Prog band. In fact, I really don't think they should be qualified as such.

As the songs go by, we notice that Pop is the big thing here. 'With Joy' is an acoustic ballad in its first minute and then it changes to something that? Kings Of Leon would play. And then in 'Forest And Joy' we have a 'Spanish' piece completely Pop oriented. 'The Weakness Of Our Spinning' is a very nice acoustic piece and 'Without Joy' a nice Alternative Rock song. And sometimes I have the impression that they look a bit like Green Violinist in some songs.

'If I Will Never Be' is a very strong track and possibly the best on Visions From Realities (2013). It has a great musical progression. But then the band goes on with 'Me, One Second Before Johan Robeck' and they're completely Pop again. To complete the album we have firstly 'Usual Plays In Heaven ? Be Kind And Talk To Me'. The first part with the mentioned female vocals and the second part has nothing to do with the first. And secondly 'Our Vast Emptiness' that has a kind of? Nickelback thing going on.

In general, Active Heed has a very strong debut album with Visions From Realities (2013), but not from a Progressive Rock point of view. This album shouldn't be sold as Prog Rock cause it isn't. From the Progressive Rock point of view the album has very little or nothing. I'm not saying this is a bad album, cause it isn't. Visions From Realities (2013) is a very good Rock/Pop album that has been very well played and very well produced, in fact it could be played in most FM Radios. If this is the band's goal, they're in the right way. But if they want to be a Prog Rock band? they'll need to change loads of things.

2.5 stars

(Originally posted on progshine.net)

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#1031855) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
2 stars I really tried with this album. I really did. There's just something missing from the sound here. Not that this album is incredibly BAD in any way. However, sometimes I'd rather an album be sheer crap than for it to be simply so-so. There just nothing here for me to latch onto right now.

This is another example of the recent surge of "prog pop". Now, the other band I've heard recently, The Twenty Committee, is really good and has much heart, not to mention chops. However, with Active Heed, the pop comes through more in a lack of skill or lack of composition. The whole album is light and airy, but nothing more than uninspired acoustic guitar lines and very simple, nasally vocal melodies fills the space. Now, I can deal with pop vocals when they accompany strong melodies and interesting structure, but Active Heed just plays a bunch of pop songs with some instrumental portions here and there: Instrumental portions, that is, that are full of incredibly simple guitar work and a few good keyboard lines. Overall, though, there isn't much to speak of in way of melody.

I mean, you know there's something wrong with an album when my favorite track is "Forest and Joy"; a three-minute, repetitive song with a good hook. Seriously, I don't think prog is about a killer hook, but even good hooks are mysteriously absent from the rest of the album. The consequences of all this is that the album just goes on and on, even though it's not a horribly long album. But, when there's nothing but filler from start to finish, this feeling is unavoidable.

The last half of the album is definitely better. There are some interesting keys here and there, and maybe a little more experimentation, too. But by the time we get there, we don't care anymore. We just want it to be done. This is a decent attempt overall, but I think failure is the name of the game.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1032910) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Review by Windhawk
3 stars Italian project ACTIVE HEED is the creative vehicle of composer Umberto Pagnini, and rather than a common band project with a main composer handling one or more instruments Active Heed appears to be a true project band where Pagnini employs friends and acquaintances to record his material while his own role is limited to be the composer. "Visions from Realities" is the first album to be issued under the Active Heed moniker, and was self released in 2013.

Active Heed's debut album "Visions From Realities" is a production that should have a fairly broad overall appeal, with plenty of accessible compositions of a fairly straightforward nature sharing space with creations taking on an approach in terms of structure or arrangements that does have more of a sophisticated nature to them. Those fond of accessible, careful and melodic progressive rock should find plenty to enjoy on this one, especially if you have a taste for elements of a subtly theatrical nature.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#1135949) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 22, 2014

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Throughout the 70's a common practice in Italy were albums composed by one or two composers but performed by a different line-up with no instrumental involvement of the writer/s.Four decades later, in 2012, Italian composer/lyricist Umberto Pagnini follows the same tactics.He composed an album for a central figure named Forest and his emotional adventures and invited a few musicians to execute the music.Project was named ''Active Heed'', the album's title was ''Visions from realities'' and the basic line-up was Lorenzo Poli on bass/guitars/keyboards, Per Fredrik Asly (aka PelleK) on vocals and Giovanni Giorgi on drums with Marit Borresen and Mark Colton of Credo fame guesting on vocals.The album was released independently in June 2013.

At first listening the music sounded very straightforward, poppy and out of any progressive enviroment.Several spins later the majesty of the concept was finally unleashed and reached my ears.This is Progressive Pop at its best, not recommended to fans seeking for extremely intricate music, but a great work for anyone after melodic and memorable music.Split in 15 tracks, the album, according to Pagnini, is a compact story with diferent moments in the life of Forest.The music is very optimistic and enjoyable with fantastic vocals by PelleK and dense musicianship, which is based on fast paces and electroacoustic rhythms, while there is a deep keyboard background with piano, organ and synthesizers dominating the atmosphere.''Visions from realities'' is based on its well-crafted melodies and harmonies and Pagnini has dome an impressive work, producing memorable and striking material with a loud sound and a beautiful balance between instrumental and vocal sections.The atmosphere recalls some of CHRIS' solo works, where the music is performed with tension, passion, sense of melody and rich musicianship.The basic components do come from Pop Rock, but there are strong Jazz, Folk and Classical colors throughout the album, eventually creating inventive and solid Progressive Pop.

''Visions from realities'' does not head to fans of King Crimson, Magma or Gentle Giant.This is intelligent Pop Music with progressive overtones, recommended for endless spinning when you are in a bad mood.Nice stuff.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1212413) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014

5 stars I wanted to let the world know that I just discovered a great prog gem! I like Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf, Jethro Tull... and all the Italian progressive music but "Visions From Realities" goes far beyond being modern, fresh and not a repetition of old clichés. "Visions From Realit ... (read more)

Report this review (#1115387) | Posted by ProgJapan | Friday, January 17, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I have listened to "Visions from Realities" on Progstreaming, where its vivid colored album art called my attention. First of all, I'd like to give an advice: when you listen to "Visions from Realities" start with the first song and go through all the album up to the last song without stops ... (read more)

Report this review (#1034833) | Posted by MagdalenaProg | Saturday, September 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ACTIVE HEED "Visions From Realities"