EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS

- Steve Howe / guitar
- Jeff Berlin / bass
- Julian Colbeck / keyboards
- Milton McDonald / guitar (rhythm) and vocals

CD, Europe and U.K.: Fragile CDJMC 005/6, 1993.
CD, U.S.: Herald HER 006, 1994 (Includes "Starship Trooper" as a Bonus Track on CD1, after "And You and I").

and to alimodara for the last updates

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Evening of Yes Music Plus Music

An Evening of Yes Music Plus * by Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (CD, Mar-1994... USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $17.99 Buy It Now
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Evening of Yes Music Plus JAPAN 2 MINI LP CD USD $88.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An Evening of Yes Music Plus USA GOLD 2 CD 1994 USD $29.74 Buy It Now 3 days
USD $8.00 Buy It Now
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An Evening Of Yes Music Plus - 2 CD (1996) USD $12.43 Buy It Now 5 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS JAPAN 2 CD 3800yen USD $59.99 Buy It Now 11 days
An Evening of Yes Music Plus * by Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (CD,... USD $15.95 Buy It Now 13 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Evening of Yes Music Plus JAPAN 2 w/Tracking USD $87.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - Evening of Yes Music Plus (2007) Digi-Pack 2 CD USD $10.87 Buy It Now 19 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - An Evening Of Yes Music Plus Vol 2 - 2xLP USD $32.84 Buy It Now 19 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS - HST025CD USD $16.01 Buy It Now 23 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN & HOWE - AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $63.58 Buy It Now 23 days
An Evening of Yes Music Plus, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, Good Import USD $11.74 Buy It Now 24 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - An Evening Of Yes Music Plus Vol 1 - 2xLP USD $32.84 Buy It Now 24 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS VOL 1, UK 2LP, NEW USD $32.99 Buy It Now 25 days
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - AN EVENING OF YES MUSIC PLUS VOL 2, UK 2LP, NEW USD $32.99 Buy It Now 25 days

More places to buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE music online Buy ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Evening of Yes Music Plus ratings distribution

ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE Evening of Yes Music Plus reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Of course , like everyone else here, if I must own one album from ABWH , this will be the one. But since I chose not too own any but renting them from the library.

But where the heck was that towering bassist of theirs? Why is the best drummer in the world using electronic percussion ruining our pleasure. Why did they feel they had to release such a needless album? And then all a sudden, they will form this incredibly poor album called Union. Yes was in a rut, and such an album was not really making things anymore essential.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#26618) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

Review by progmonster
1 stars God, have i earing problems ? The performance is maybe top knotch (well, let's be fair, not that much), but gosh, what an awfull sound... My beloved drummer, Bill Bruford, never sounded so close to a plastic trash can. And i can't conceive anyone being charmed by such horrible treatment on a masterpiece like "Heart of the Sunrise" ?

Send comments to progmonster (BETA) | Report this review (#26620) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars A young person's guide to Yes

With only Chris Squire missing from the "Close to the edge" Yes line up, it makes sense that ABWH chose to emphasise that this was a Yes tour in all but band name. Bass playing duties for this live album are undertaken by Jeff Berlin, although you'd be hard pressed to find him getting due credit on the sleeve notes.

The opening "Firebird suite" is replaced by "Benjamin Britten's Young persons guide to the orchestra", which links into the old Yes number "Time and a word". The opening segment is surprisingly mellow and acoustic, with an unplugged "Owner of a lonely heart" leading to an early acoustic guitar session from Howe. I suspect the track order here does not reflect the live performances, and has been put together with a view to creating a coherent album.

Many of the old favourites are played, including "Close to the edge", "And you and I" "Heart of the sunrise", and "Roundabout". They are excellent if faithful renditions, but with the large number of live Yes albums available, it is questionable whether these versions should be deemed "essential".

Steve Howe's solo spot includes the ubiquitous "Clap" (according to Howe not "THE clap" as it is commonly known!) and "Mood for a day", while Wakeman's is more diverse including "Merlin" from "King Arthur", and the moving "Gone but not forgotten".

There are of course several tracks from the sole ABWH studio album, including "Birthright", "Themes", and the excellent "Brother of mine". Whether the live performance adds anything to the studio versions is however doubtful.

In all, a very good but hardly essential live Yes album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#26622) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 23, 2004

Review by Guillermo
4 stars It seems that there are several versions of this album in C.D., but the day I went to buy it, I found two: one European version released in late 1993, which doesn`t include "Starship Trooper", which has in the front cover the "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe" names with the title of the album (as shown in the scan of the cover included in this page) and it seems that it doesn`t include the credits for the musicians, as I read in previous reviews; and another version, released by Herald Records in the U.S., in 1994, which includes "Starship Trooper", having the same front cover, except that this cover doesn`t have the "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe" names and the name of the album. It has a purple sticker which says "an evening of YES MUSIC PLUS FEATURING Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, 2 Gold CDs," etc. It only says in the the back cover "an evening of YES MUSIC PLUS", with the titles of the songs included in each C.D. I bought the Herald version, which also includes a booklet with credits and some notes (which have some mistakes, because the writer of these notes wrote that "the last time these four played together was in 1979 while touring in support the Tormato album", which is not true, because Bruford didn`t play in the "Tormato"album, because he left Yes in 1972, so he wasn`t on tour with in Yes in 1979; and also the notes say that this album was recorded "in the final date of the U.S. tour", and this is not true, because they played another concert the next day in Sacramento, California, and they did another tour in the U.S. in March 1990). This live album was recorded at the Shoreline Amphitheatre, in Mountain View, California, in September 9, 1989. It seems that it was recorded for a Radio Broadcast ("courtesy of DIR Broadcasting inc.", as credited in the booklet), and also filmed and broadcasted in T.V. in "pay-per-view", and also released in VHS video (which I have never seen) in 1994 or later with two additional songs: "The Meeting" and "I`ve Seen All Good People". Jeff Berlin appears in this album because days before this concert Tony Levin became ill with Hepatitis. After playing one concert feeling ill,Tony was taken to the hospital after the concert was finished (to read reviews of this concert and other concerts of the same tour and other Yes tours, visit the "Forgotten Yesterdays" website, www.forgottenyesterdays.com). After this happened, some dates were canceled, and Bruford suggested to the rest of the band to call Berlin, who had 3-4 days to learn the songs, writing the bass parts in scores after hearing the original versions in the albums, and later rehearsing with the whole band. So, after this short time of rehearsals, Berlin, in my opinion, did a very good job. Berlin played 6 or 7 concert dates with ABWH, finishing that part of the tour, and Levin re-joined the band for the next leg of the tour several weeks later.The first time I listened to these live recordings was in late 1990, when I recorded in a cassette a one hour broadcast of this concert in a FM Radio Station (in Stereo). So, years after this album appeared and I bought it, and it became one of my favourite live albums. The only thing that I don`t like from this album is the start of the concert with 3 solo medleys, each one by Anderson, Howe and Wakeman, respectively. Anderson included in his solo medley an acousitc version of "Owner of a lonely heart" which was played with Milton McDonald and Julian Colbeck (who also played on tour with GTR). Howe played his usual "Clap/Mood for a Day" medley, plus a musical piece not listed in the cover or in the booklet and played between "Clap" and "Mood...". My favourite solomedley from these 3 played in the start of the concert is Wakeman`s, one of the best solo medleys I`ve have listened from him, which also includes an instrumental version of "Madrigal" from the "Tormato" album, but also not listed in the booklet or in the cover. Bruford`s solo after "Long distance runaround" (not listed in the cover or in the label) is a very good combination of acoustic and electronic drums and percussion.The songs of the ABWH album are played with more energy, and are better in my opinion than the studio versions (with the exception of "Teakbois", which a part of it was played in Anderson`s acoustic solo medley).This live album also has the best live versions of "And You and I" and "Close to the Edge", despite not being played with Chris Squire in the bass guitar. It is also good to hear live versions of "Heart of the sunrise" and "Roundabout" with Bruford on drums, hearing his very good technique despite being played in a drum kit which was a combination of acoustic and electronic drums. "Starship Trooper" was played a bit differently to previous versions, including a keyboards introduction, and a part played with keyboards between the "Disillusion" and "Würm" parts of this song, which includes the first verse of "Nous Sommes du soleil" (from the "Topographic Oceans"`s album song "Ritual") and a "thank you" speech by Anderson to the audience."Starship Trooper", despite being played at the end of the concert, was added as a bonus track in C.D. no. 1. The rest of the musicians played very good, really assisting the ABWH members in playing the live versions more similar to the studio versions. For me, this album was a very good buy, despite the bass was mixed lower than the rest of the instruments, and despite being originally a recording made for Radio broadcasts. I hope someday to watch the VHS video or the DVD of this concert.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#26623) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 26, 2004

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars I prefer this live from the series of the band's newer concerts. I disliked the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe studio album mainly because of the new compositions, but here there are luckily only few of them performed here. Also those included, sound better when implemented among the older compositions. The performances of the classics go in my opinion quite weel, and there is positive energy dominating the concert document. My favorites are the player's solo medleys in the beginning of the album, and "Close to the edge" from their classic repertoire. There's also astonishing covers from Mr. Dean included on this double CD. Sadly Tony Levin didn't attend to this reunion concert however.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#38754) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 07, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars This live album put out by Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe is essentially Yes without major bass presence. John Anderson never sounded greater, Steve Howe is at the top of his game, and Rick Wakeman is still giving great live performances. Bill Bruford did very well during the show, however, I'm not much for the sound of electronic drums, it sounded unfitting for Yes music. Jeff Berlin plays the Squire bass work as well as the Levin work on the ABWH studio album, but it is lost deep into the mix and in sometimes inaudible.

Now, to the show. Rather than the popular Firebird Suite intro, they open with Benjamins Brittens Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra, they go straight into an unplugged session beginning with a combination track of Time and a Word, Owner of a Lonely Heart, and Teakbois off of their new album. The transition from track to track is very fluid and almost unnoticeable. After that comes Steve Howe's guitar "solo" so to speak. A combination of both Clap and Mood For a Day, his acoustic work never ceases to amaze me. After Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman gets his solo spot, which includes Merlin off of King Arthur, and a top-notch performance of Gone but Never Forgotten. The next track is the first track that everyone plays together on. Long Distance Runaround is still played precisely and fluidly, and after comes Bill Bruford's electronic drum solo. To close out the first disc is And You and I and Starship Trooper, both played note to note perfect. I especially enjoy the section right before Wurm in Trooper where Anderson combines Soon and Ritual into the mix. And Steve Howe's solo on this track is off the wall, just as it always has been live.

Beginning the 2nd Cd is classic Yes staple Close to the Edge, played perfectly once again, except that Rick Wakeman's keyboards during I Get Up, I Get Down don't really have that synthy-organ feel they had on the album, more of a piano feel. After that is Themes, a rollicking track that goes through different themes (no pun intended) and has a very laid-back feel. Brother of Mine is played exactly as it is on the album, and it sounds great. Nothing more to say on that track. Heart of the Sunrise sounds great, however, Wakeman's keys in the intro sound a little dated, and the bass during that great jam part is very quiet (and sounds a bit distorted). Otherwise, the track is great. Concluding the album are two great versions of Order of the Universe and Roundabout, which end a great live show.

Overall, this is a very strong live effort from ABWH. However, if you have Yessongs, or any live Yes album, you won't really need to get this album. It still is good, but unnecessary. 2.5/5

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#38848) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
5 stars Honestly, this live set is underrated. This album is one of the finest even among other Yes live albums. Well, it's probably I'm biased towards the fact that I listened to this CD after I had watched the laser disc version of this show. The laser disc is definitely one of my favorite as I consider its quality is the same with Yes "Keys To Ascension" laserdisc as well. I could see how Jon Anderson entered the hall from the back doors and the crowd were not aware about his entrance to the hall. While he walked in he sung "Time and a World" continued seamlessly with "Teakbois-Owner of a lonely Heart" with Milton McDonald on acoustic guitar. It's a great show, really. He then introduced Steve Howe on stage to feature "The Clap-Mood for a day" followed with Wakeman entering the stage with "Gone but not Forgotten-Catherine Parr-Merlin The magician". Bruford enters with "Long distance roundaround" where his drum style I do really enjoy. "Birthright" which has powerful lyrics is also performed flawlessly.

Overall, I cannot deny the quality of this live set as a masterpiece live show because the band deserves it. Keep on proggin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#40795) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 29, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
3 stars It's tough to be hard on the guys for trying especially with the older songs, but I can't get past the drumming by usual master drummer Bruford. The rapid-style staccato drum attack on the older songs just grate. I don't mind it on the new songs, which btw I like immensely, especially 'Themes/Brother Of Mine'. Just listen to the drumming on 'Heart Of The Sunrise' which is my absolute favorite live YES song. It's so deplorable! On top of the crummy 80's drumming, Berlin's bass is SO underplayed and I miss Squire's backing vocals. Wakemans playing is fine as is Howe's. So overall it's super for the AWBH songs, but heartbreaking for the older songs. 3 stars max!

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#72479) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Review by Todd
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano!
4 stars This album came as a surprise to me. Until recently I have generally shied away from live albums, preferring the better studio sound perhaps at the expense of some good improvisation. But I decided to give this a try, having (mostly) liked the ABWH compositions. I thought it would be interesting also to hear Bruford playing the old material. Unlike some of the reviewers, I really like his performance, even if he uses more coloring with the electronic drums. He brings an Earthworks v.1 feel to some of the songs, and it's really interesting. Like many of the reviewers, I do lament the missing bass. I think had they mixed Jeff Berlin's bass more loudly, it would have come off better, even if he's not as bombastic as Squire. The sound and energy are great--I wish I'd been there!

Send comments to Todd (BETA) | Report this review (#165257) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 28, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This album was taken from what was originally a cable TV pay per view performance (somewhere I have the VCR tape I made of it that night). The performance is very good, but on my CD, the Herald release, there are enough flaws in the sound that it must have been taken directly from the video mix.

First of all, Tony Levin fell ill a few days before the show, and Bill Bruford brought in his friend Jeff Berlin on short notice to fill in. And Berlin gets all but completely buried in the mix, leaving most songs missing the fabulous bass playing that Chris Squire had originally provided. Plus, I saw the band on this tour with Levin, and Bruford's solo, with Levin playing along, and joining him inside the ring of drums (they used to do this with King Crimson, too), was one of the highlights.

Many of the harmony vocals get lost as well, leaving Jon Anderson's voice sometimes hanging out there without the full sound that belongs there. And the whole band often sounds like they were playing in a bathroom, with a tinny sound.

On the plus side, the band played well. Rick Wakeman in particular sounds overjoyed to be playing the old Yes standards again. And standards there are. Along with the obligatory songs from the album they had just released, the classic Yes track selection is predictable. But how can you go wrong playing Close To The Edge?

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#346493) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 07, 2010

4 stars "In dubio pro reo". In the doubt, for the accused. The fact that there is not a bass player, that Bill Bruford's electronic drumming set sounds more than sometimes metallic, squeaking and out of time... gets the most of the time excellent music down to inferior levels it deserves. Anyway, there ... (read more)

Report this review (#618942) | Posted by ibnacio | Wednesday, January 25, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This "Live Album" is a true mine to you please. Here we find songs of the Yes, "80's Yes" and of this parallel project. Therefore every progster that you are respected should have it a copy. As for the music be is very warm, in the sense that seems to have the ABWh before the actual eyes, thin ... (read more)

Report this review (#54134) | Posted by | Monday, October 31, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I reward this beautifull live album with the maximum I will give any non studio recording being 4 stars. A great live set, featuring most of Yes's classic songs in a good mix with songs from their then latest album (ABWH). Very good played from all involved musicians, with at the beginning of ... (read more)

Report this review (#26628) | Posted by tuxon | Saturday, April 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Three years after the end of he ABWH tour and the project itself in favour of the Yes- Unnion lined up, this live album is officially released. The tracklisting is very good with an emphasis on the ABWH material and of course some favourites from the Yes back catalogue. The performances on ... (read more)

Report this review (#26626) | Posted by Prosciutto | Sunday, December 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A very nice concert, without a doubt played with majesty from all corners, also Jeff Berlin's role here is just at the level of the main artists. The sound and production is also at the top, so as a live album it may easily reach the 5 star rating (but then, why 3... 3.5 stars?). Well, what re ... (read more)

Report this review (#26624) | Posted by eriksalkeld | Monday, November 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I never liked live albums. This changed hearing this album. a very clear sound - I like much of the old stuff even better than the originals. Bruford is playing around with his new toy - the electronic drums. however - the solo drum part of 'long distance runaround' is awesome! what i don't lik ... (read more)

Report this review (#26621) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of my absolute favourite live albums! After a relatively boring start of the album where each of the 4 ex-Yessers show off in their solo-spots, they really blow the roof off the concert arena with staggering versions of Yes and ABWH-material. The extra musicians (aside from Jeff Berlin on bass) ... (read more)

Report this review (#26616) | Posted by | Monday, February 09, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE "Evening of Yes Music Plus"