Toxic Smile

Toxic Smile 7 album cover

Buy TOXIC SMILE Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. From Inside Out (6:36)
2. Barfeooted Man (8:28)
3. Needless (6:24)
4. Love Without Creation (5:40)
5. Rayless Sun (8:00)
6. King Of Nowhere (3:56)
7. Afterglow (7:34)

- Kiri Geile / vocal shouts

Label: Progressive Promotion Records
Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

TOXIC SMILE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOXIC SMILE 7 Music

M.A.D.M.A.D.
Progressive Promotion Records
RetroTox ForteRetroTox Forte
Horn Musicproduction

More places to buy TOXIC SMILE music online Buy TOXIC SMILE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOXIC SMILE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOXIC SMILE 7 ratings distribution

TOXIC SMILE 7 reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
5 stars Recently, I received a surprise package in the mail from Progressive Promotion Records containing a couple different albums. One of those albums was the new Toxic Smile record named "7". I really had no idea what I was getting into here, but rest assured that I was blown away by this album!

Toxic Smile is a band from Germany that, in my opinion, is not quite progressive metal. They are too varied, creative, and simply genius to fall under any one umbrella. While they do have some seriously heavy moments, Toxic Smile is definitely focused more on melody and groove than on being heavy or technical for no real reason. They combine a groovy, active bass guitar with absolutely astounding drums, a plethora of keys with a huge range of styles, jazzy saxophone, gorgeous violin, and some unique vocals. So, they seem to get really heavy when they feel the need, but they have so much else going on that they don't NEED to do it all the time.

Now, I want to talk about a couple of these musicians for a second. Marek Arnold plays the keyboards and the sax. This guy is nothing short of brilliant. His saxophone is strong, and is much more than just some jazzy ditty. This guy leads the music with his sax, such as on the phenomenal track, "Love Without Creation". This track is easily one of my favorites this year. However, his ability on the keys is equally mesmerizing. His unique compositions are vital to the excellence of this album, as he plays great solos and atmosphere. He utilizes an RPI-influenced tone for many of the more atmospheric lines. Now, the singer, Larry B., is also a very talented guy. He has a one-of-a-kind voice that is soft but powerful. It has a vintage tinge to it, but he experiments often. Both Marek and Larry are also members of the amazing band Cyril, a band that has already released one of my top 5 favorite albums in 2013.

As for the other musicians, I am equally impressed with Robert Brenner on bass and Robert Eisfeldt on drums. Their rhythm section is consistently addictive and technically proficient. I especially can't believe how awesome the drums are. Robert E. switches styles constantly, but his drums are definitely not standard metal fare. Lastly, Uwe Reinholz provides some truly stunning guitar solos and riffs. The riffs feel strategically sloppy, as it adds a very raw feeling to the instrumental portions. All of these musicians combine their talents to create one of the best albums I've heard this year.

Whether it's the lead sax on "Love Without Creation", the heavy tone of "Afterglow", or the catchy choruses throughout the album; "7" is no ordinary metal album. Not even close. It has a progginess to it that is usually only found in symphonic or neo-prog, and this is applied to a deeply heavy tone to the music. It's not heavy as in metallic: It's heavy as in darkened and low. I think this suits the album as a whole, too, as the record is generally dark and melancholy, as it explores the human condition somewhat.

Toxic Smile's "7" is one of the best albums of 2013 without a single doubt in my mind. It is fresh, vibrant, hefty, and soulful from beginning to end. It is also unique and sounds like literally no other band. This album needs to be heard by both prog metal fans and prog rocks fans alike.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1079937) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Here we have a multifaceted quintet, another asset which is - from a stylistical point of view - very hard to pigeonhole. TOXIC SMILE's roots are in Leipzig/Germany - line-up changes during the past years solely occured when it came to the drum part. They once could reach for a major deal with BMG and - in 2001 - even experienced a successfull promotional tour in South Korea. Since the forunner 'Im Your Saviour', released in 2011 on the same label Progressive Promotion Records, they have drummer Robert Eisfeldt on board ... and again a really fruitful outfit is on the way with prolific results.

Well, when looking through their complete discography ... seemingly not appearing like the 7th album in a row the title appears somewhat questionable. However that's artistic freedom, isn't it? I would say TOXIC SMILE are acting like a modern heavy art rock band on '7', where proper metal and even subtle jazz and neo/symph leanings are frequently shimmering through. Hereby Larry B.'s singing voice is a real trademark. The opener From Inside Out appears like a surprise bag really, starting with some fusion sentiment and decent mellotron backing this soon develops on to more metal paths over the course though.

In between they shortly work in some Boston alike AOR sentiment as well as diverse violin impressions - so this indeed is an appropriate exemplar to prove the premature praise. Barfooted Man is mellow and heavy in the same way and provides a real sing along refrain. Love Without Creation comes with some nice saxophone attendance where Rayless Sun is another shouter song featuring heavy organ work, Uwe Reinholz's shredding guitar riffs and some obvious headbanging quality. Including Robert Eisfeldt's bass drum show the tricky Afterglow then arrives as the anticipated climax.

Don't miss to check this out! '7' is a wondrous mixed bag sounding somewhere between a lightweight Dream Theater outfit and a heavier incarnation of The Flower Kings. Kudos to Marek Arnold especially for the varied keyboard work and due to the responsibilty for the compositions. I've listened to so much albums in the meanwhile, but this simply mirrors excellent song writing which is nearly without equal. So consequently my sentiment is that I'm now and here writing about one of the prog highlights released in 2013 - 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#1100758) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I have learned to have high expectations of releases on Progressive Promotion, and this digipak has yet again set the standard very high indeed. This is the seventh release by German band Toxic Smile, but is the first time I have come across them, looks as if I am going to have search out their old releases now as if they are anything like this then I need to hear them! The core of the band have been together since 2000, although they have been through a few drummers in that time, while Marek Arnold (keys, sax) and Uwe Reinholz (guitars) actually started playing together as students in 1996. What makes this band so interesting for me is the sheer diversity of music that they are playing, happily moving through the progressive spectrum from light to heavy, simple to complex, yet always maintaining a strong melody line.

Most people would classify them as prog metal, and that is probably the best single sub-genre to fit them into, but there are times when they are clearly Crossover, at others the Neo influence comes in while jazz is never too far behind either. Yes they can crunch out some strong syncopated rhythms when they want to, but they now how important it is to balance this with a keyboards solo or drop into a piano-led section. I'm not sure how they would be able reproduce this in the live environment as Marek is often playing multiple parts using different keyboard sounds at the same time, yet it is only when listening really hard that one realizes just how much he is contributing as the ear is naturally drawn to the bombast of the guitars, bass and drums. Robert Brenner provides some great bass touches here and there that really lift the overall sound and performance, while singer Larry B. has a wonderfully melodic voice.

This is a wonderfully accessible metallic prog album with loads of influences, with the only real moan that at seven songs and just forty-seven minutes long it is just too short! www.toxi- smile.de.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1160690) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 12, 2014

5 stars I finally took the leap and made myself a PA account after years of just browsing as a guest. This is my first review of an album so far and I practically made this account to get another opinion out there about this incredible album, which I was directed to thanks to Second Life Syndrome's glow ... (read more)

Report this review (#1086162) | Posted by Philodendron | Thursday, December 05, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOXIC SMILE "7"