4:45AM

Good, but non-essential

Buy AISLES Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. 4:45am (4:06)
2. Gallarda Yarura (4:32)
3. Shallow and Daft (4:52)
4. Back my Strength (4:54)
5. The Sacrifice (5:08)

- Daniel Baird-Kerr / Bass

Label: Presagio Records
Release date: October 29, 2013

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Aussie-Byrd-Brother for the last updates

AISLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy AISLES 4:45am Music

4:45 Am4:45 Am
CD Baby 2013

More places to buy AISLES music online Buy AISLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for AISLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

AISLES 4:45am ratings distribution

AISLES 4:45am reviews

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Aisles is again on the map of art/progressive rock scene with their third album issued in 2013 named 4:45. Another worthy release from this chilean band who delivers only the good things here even quite slowly because this album was released after 4 years from previous offer. Art rock with progressive rock elements thrown is to be found here, melodic arrangements, nice warm vocals, Vergara brothers are quite great not only here but aswell on previous album. The passages are emotive and well compose higlighted in pieces like opening title track 4:45 and on instrumental Gallarda Yarura, both are very nice pieces with top notch guitar lines. Another worthy ones are Shallow and daft and Melancholia. As I said the music is well crafted, elegant interludes between musicians bordering neo prog in parts but with a good doze of art rock elements added, no unecesary noodlings here for the sake of it, only warm , melodic and pleasent melodies. Definetly another good album coming from Chile, Aisles is for sure one of the most talented bands ever from Soth America who needs a wider recognition, they are now a mature band I can say .3.5 stars for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#1141811) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars Chilean band Aisles have one thing that instantly makes them stand out amongst progressive rock bands - a main emphasis on vocals - wait, don't run away just yet! There's still plenty of exceptional musical displays from the band throughout their third album `4:45am', a energetic, brooding, yet frequently joyous work, but the instrumental passages often take a back seat to a strong focus on vocal prowess, both of lead singer Sebastian Vergara and the whole group. We're not talking lazy frontman-focused AOR or straight-forward rock, instead the band has gone to great effort to deliver a huge array of vocal variety and complex harmonies, which is very admirable and quite daring. Prog rock is a genre known for sometimes treating vocals as an unimportant afterthought, so this makes the band stand out even more. There's no doubt about it, Aisles are a very confident band, totally sure of their abilities, and they've delivered a strong, melodic and distinctive work here.

Despite not a proper concept album with a connected narrative, the individual pieces often share a similar theme. According to the band, "4:45 is about pain, blood, resilience and strength. It's the most extreme hour of the day, the time in which you either get up or get completely lost, an hour shared by a soul in decline and one ready to rise". To realize this idea, Aisles chose an interesting selection of influences to incorporate into their sound. Everything from Rush and Coheed and Cambria-style intricate heavy prog, Spock's Beard cleverness, 80's accessible Genesis, the stadium rock excess of `The Wall-era' Pink Floyd and even new wave synth/poppers Duran Duran (not as bad as it sounds!) emerges throughout the album, but never in a lazy and uninspired way. The band twist subtle touches of those artists to their own unique vision. There's also lengthy and thrilling instrumental passages that only hint at directions the band may choose to guy in the future.

The band go right for the throat with the gutsy title-track opener, Coheed-influenced delirious vocal intensity (as well as similar female backing chorus spots), spiky electric guitar runs and some very upfront drumming. `Shallow and Daft' is an impossibly catchy yet lyrically dark synth-popper in the manner of 80's Genesis and Duran Duran that is perfect for what is a scathing observation of vacuous and empty celebrity culture, and it's truly one of the best examples of a catchy pop format working seamlessly with progressive intelligence. The harder sections of `Back My Strength' have a `Wall'-era Pink Floyd thickness, but sadly the lead vocal melody gets a little harsh in a few spots.

The seven minute `Sorrow' is an astonishing standout. A sad, sweetly romantic vocal is wrapped around numerous tempo and direction changes back and forth, the piece leaping to life with sudden confident bursts amongst the warmest of dazzling acoustic playing. "I've got you to resign to this world" is a particularly lovely lyric too. Somber acoustic ballad `The Sacrifice' has swooning, powerful group vocals from the whole band, as well as some welcome sprightly and nimble acoustic guitar fret-work. Album closer `Melancholia' balances delicate acoustic moods, triumphant and joyous electric guitar soloing and gentle voices. Oddly, and possibly coincidently, much of this piece reminds me of British singer Paul Draper and UK proggers Mansun. Shame about the unexciting fade out at the end, though!

There's also a few purely instrumental pieces that demonstrate a whole other fascinating side to the band. `Gallarda Yarura' shows the technicality of Dream Theater without the heaviness, an unpredictable harder edge like the Nick D'Virgilio era Spock's Beard-like and some precious I.Q mystery. There's tension filled electric drones with delayed guitar feedback and electronic pulsing beats during the experimental `Intermission'. The almost nine-minute `Hero' is a tour-de-force, full of brooding heaviness with unpredictable chiming guitar bursts, bristling snappy Neo-prog styled synths, ethnic percussion, melancholic ambient and doomy symphonic atmospheres.

Accompanied by a lavish CD booklet with stunning - and frequently dark - paintings by Omar Galindo (and just look at front that cover - vinyl edition, Aisles fellas, please!), `4:45am' is an assured and thrilling work from a talented band that frequently sounds so defiantly original, like no- one other prog band at the moment, and the way they implement their emotive vocals with the same passion that most prog bands only give to their instrumental passages is completely inspiring. I predict a bigger status in the progressive rock community in the years to come for Aisles.

Four and a half stars.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#1177987) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2014

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars '4:45 AM' - Aisles (55/100)

Aisles guitarist German Vergara introduced me to his band's music a few years ago, when I received a pair of their albums in the mail. The Yearning and In Sudden Walks offered a more melodic approach to progressive rock that I was used to hearing, but the Chilean act soon grew on me. I still have fond memories of hearing In Sudden Walks for the first time and being taken aback by how beautifully Aisles had managed to incorporate vocal melody and harmony with the progressive mainframe. Not surprisingly, I was intrigued to hear where Aisles had gone thereafter. 4:45 AM is a quasi-concept work of sorts, inspired by the emotions and thoughts one might feel at that time where a new day begins. I'll say outright that Aisles' third album hasn't initially impressed me as much as the first two; even so, their efforts to innovate and expand their sound haven't gone unnoticed.

I don't think a review of any of Aisles' albums could go without bringing up their focus on melody. Historically, Aisles have always built their songs around emotive vocal melodies, a trait which will either attract or dissuade a progger outright, depending on their taste. Even if the human voice is the most potentially emotive musical instrument our species has at our disposal, I don't think the potential is often unlocked in prog or rock. In Sudden Walks was one such album that fulfilled that promise; Sebastian Vergara's voice complimented the atmosphere beautifully there. In comparison, 4:45 AM is less successful. The excellent acoustic piece "The Sacrifice" is reminiscent of the vocal success on In Sudden Walks, but the integration isn't handled so well here. In fact, many of Aisles' best successes on 4:45 AM are of the instrumental variety. "Gallarda Yarura" is a great instrumental that, surprisingly enough, offers some of the album's best melodies. "Intermission" is the album's darkest, most experimental track, based around the repeating motif and a bevy of soundscapey effects atop it. Sebastian Vergara's brooding voice is still in sharp form, but Aisles' vocal-based tracks aren't quite so dynamic this time around.

I once pegged Aisles as a band training from under the shadow of Marillion. Neo-prog was the surefire label for this band on the first two albums, but no I'm not so sure. The title track sounds like they could be drawing from dredg or The Dear Hunter. "Shallow and Daft" sounds like New Wave or 80's pop. The instrumentals have also added unprecedented variety to Aisles' music. Yet, for an album that sports such a variety of sounds and styles, 4:45 AM feels very subdued. The Floydian "Hero" is a welcome exception to this rule, but on the whole Aisles sound a little too restrained for their own good here. Even "Shallow and Daft"- Aisles' satirical love letter to pop excess- sounds relatively somnolent. I do suppose it makes sense given the album's theme revolves around "an hour shared by a soul in decline and one ready to rise" (according to the band) but the constant mellowness can make 4:45 AM frustrating, especially when the band clearly has the potential for a more energetic performance. If you need any evidence of that, you need look no further than the opening of the title track. Though it picks up on a characteristically mellow note, the way the drums pick up pace and lead into the first verse is brilliant. Aisles have always opted for the more laid-back side of the spectrum, but more often than not on 4:45 AM, I'm left feeling like a lot of the music is in need of some early morning caffeine.

Although part of it may be attributed to a natural shift of tastes over time, I don't find myself as engaged by 4:45 AM as I did with the first two Aisles albums some years ago. It feels like a well-intentioned transition between their neo-progressive roots and a yet- undetermined point of destination. In offering such an attractive variety of prog and pop styles, Aisles haven't done quite enough to link it all together; each song offers some sort of promising identity, but there's little indication that the tracks are working together as a whole. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the album's promising variety that 4:45 AM ends up feeling disappointingly indistinct. Even if I don't find it as enjoyable as In Sudden Walks, I still think that Aisles' third album is a step in the right direction. Whatever weaknesses 4:45 AM has suffered over its predecessors is simply a result of Aisles' bold attempt to expand their boundaries and evolve musically.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#1194893) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 16, 2014

2 stars Hailing from Santiago de Chile comes Aisles, representing the genre of neo prog since 2001 as led by brothers Germán and Sebastián Vergara. Their third album, 4:45 AM, represents a variety of songs that are for the most part vocally driven, tightly arranged, and composed with focus. Like many ... (read more)

Report this review (#1287499) | Posted by Progulator | Saturday, October 04, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Aisles is a band from Chile which combine beautiful melodies with emotional vocals. I am listening to this album quite often these days. It's a pleasant album to listen and gives me a peaceful feeling. The mood is warm and very relaxing. Their first two albums are of the same quality. Especially "In ... (read more)

Report this review (#1134491) | Posted by Hogweed Returns | Thursday, February 20, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of AISLES "4:45am"