PIDANOMA

Studio Album, released in 2014

1. Corto Normal (6:13)
2. Ojota y Media (2:11)
3. Mee Chango (17:10)
4. Mia Gato Está Solo en la Oscuridad (16:14)
5. Guri Guri Tres Piñas (20:53)

Search RANDOM Pidanoma lyrics

Search RANDOM Pidanoma tabs

- Raul Garcìa Posee / guitar, vocals
- Pablo Lamela Bianchi / bass
- Marcos Luis Crosa / drums

Guest musicians:
- Adrian Terrazas Gonzalez / Sax (3)
- Malena Crosa ­/ voices (3)

Label: Las Tías Records
Released 24 January 2014

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

RANDOM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RANDOM Pidanoma Music

Big Gank - Weight of the World - vinyl LP Sampler 1998 - G-Funk Random Rap US $94.95 Buy It Now 34m 36s
SNSD Girls' Generation MR TAXI & Run Devil Run Deluxe Edition CD+DVD+RANDOM CARD US $59.99 [0 bids]
v/a RANDOM RAP CLASSICS VOL 1 2x LP NEW VINYL Supreme US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Blek Ink 1995 'Random Strike' Rare Iceland EXperimental Folk Rock 7" US $9.09 Buy It Now 2h 23m
MICROPHONE MASTERS~TOO COLD CHILLIN~ 12" RANDOM RAP ECLIPSE~ NM SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Korean Pop EXO-K 2nd Mini Album [Overdose] CD,Random Photo Card US $20.90 [0 bids]
Downlord Random Dictionary of the Damned NEW ship fast not a promo combine ship US $3.99 [0 bids]
KRUSH CRUE THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE 12" RARE RANDOM RAP ORIG '89 HEAR MP3 US $6.00 [0 bids]
B.A.P First Sensibility w/ Daehyun Photocard + Random Kpop Socks + Free Gift US $30.00 [0 bids]
JACKAL "THE BEAR" - FOR REAL - DJ-12" Single RARE RANDOM RAP US $13.97 Buy It Now 5h
Kool Daddy Mo I Can Rock a Party 12" EX Rare Random Rap US $34.80 Buy It Now 5h 39m
HIP HOP & Random Rap 12" Lot of 20 #6472 Most NEAR-MINT US $45.00 Buy It Now 6h
LIVE WIREZ APPROACH THE MIC / STRAIGHT FROM DOME 12" PROMO NY RANDOM RAP 1993 US $9.99 [2 bids]
LOT 50 SOUL R&B ROCK 45 RECORDS RANDOM JUKEBOX STUFFERS ETC. US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
MAMAMOO [HELLO] 1st Mini Album K-POP Sealed RED or Pink Random US $23.50 Buy It Now 6h 24m
UNDERCOVER G PLAYER PATROL 12" RARE WEST COAST GANGSTA G-FUNK 1997 RANDOM RAP US $14.49 [2 bids]
Random Hearts Harrison Ford, Kristin Scott Soundtrack US $10.95 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Hall Of Ghosts "A Random Quiet" CD **Free Shipping** US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Got7 Autographed "Got 3" Album - random photocard 2014 import Kpop US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Got7 "Got 3" Album - random photochip 2014 import Kpop US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Harlequins s/t cassette RANDOM OLD RECORDS #51/100! BLUE cincinatti garage punk US $1.49 [0 bids]
Super Junior 7th Album CD MAMACITA A Version 1 Random Cards K-pop SUJU US $23.99 [0 bids]
KOOLISM - Pt. 3 Random Thoughts (1 CD) [Invada Records] US $4.47 Buy It Now 8h 15m
DO OR DIE STILL PO'PIMPIN 12" RAP A LOT HOUSTON RANDOM US $7.00 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MASSIVE KEEP IT MOVIN 12" BROOKLYN RANDOM RAP WU-TANG US $6.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
VENOM BOMB THREAT 12" NEW JERSEY RANDOM RAP US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
RANDOM EYES - EYES ABLAZE + 1. JAPAN.OBI US $5.99 [0 bids]
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (CD 2013] Electronic Brand New and Sealed US $4.68 [0 bids]
THE TEDDY BEAR~LIES EP~SHRINK~RANDOM ELECTRO RAP~1986 PVT LBL US $12.00 [0 bids]
EAST CONFERENCE ALL STARS~2LP~RANDOM RAP~DJ MIGHTY MI~ALCHEMIST~MAD SKILLZ~EL-P US $10.00 [0 bids]
DAFT PUNK Random Access Memories 2 LP [SEALED 180 GRAM VINYL] + Digital Download US $40.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
SEALED* Delik - Take It To Your Head *RANDOM RAP* Rare!! 1997 US $12.89 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Random House Project - Longing (Remixes) - 2004 #128027 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Random Factor Ft Georg Levin - Move On - 2004 #129853 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Random Factor - What I Need (Remixes) - 2002 #90322 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Random Factor - Convergence (Remix EP) - 2004 #123867 US $4.85 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Sistar - Special Album/SWEET&SOUR(Random Photo Card Free) Hot Album Kpop US $22.99 Buy It Now 13h 16m
RANDOM CONCEPT Vol 34 7th BIRTHDAY BASH 6 CD + DVD PACK US $32.45 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Random Method - Rojo - Intrinsic Design - 2002 #83637 US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Random Impulse - Non Stop / Who's That New Kid? #118067 US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Mickey Blue Eyes - Keep Me Safe - Random - 2002 #94539 US $4.85 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Random Access - Majestic - Problem Child - 1996 #102849 US $4.85 Buy It Now 17h 52m
Random Access - Android - Problem Child - 1995 #321303 US $4.85 Buy It Now 17h 52m
Random Order Juliet MUSIC CD US $8.17 Buy It Now 18h 14m
CRIME FAM Playa Haters 12" Test Press NY Random Rap Young Lord Harvey Records US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 16m
RADICAL STUFF Let's Get Dizzy 12" Promo Random Rap EX Flying Records Italy US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 16m
SEXMACHINE Talk To Me / Next On The Wall Random Rap NM 1992 Datta Banks US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 16m
GHETTO MENTALITY Comin Up Is A Must FL Random Rap NM 1995 Bound Sound US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Aaron Quist - Writerz Blok EP - Random House 1 #112941 US $4.85 Buy It Now 18h 43m
RANDOM VOICES Dear Mr. President b/w Dear Mr. President (Instrumental) STOCK M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 44m
Random Movement - Love Nights - Innerground #168647 US $4.85 Buy It Now 18h 44m
DAFT PUNK LP RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES 180 GRAM DOUBLE LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Random Method - Earth & Green / Stasis - 2003 #115996 US $4.85 Buy It Now 19h 40m
Random Play - Creepy Sweepa EP - Puzzle Traxx #242558 US $4.85 Buy It Now 19h 40m
Bulletproof - Cascade - Random Recordings #119009 US $4.85 Buy It Now 19h 40m
STIEG LARSSON VERBLENDUNG 3-CD AUDIOBOOK GERMAN RANDOM HOUSE UNPLAYED US $5.00 [0 bids]
WILSON, CHRIS - Random Centuries ( Flamin Groovies ) US $10.00 Buy It Now 19h 47m
Random Hold : Etceteraville Vinyl (VG++) LP Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 56m
Vol. 2-random Works of Randy Barracuda - Barracuda,Randy New & Sealed LP Free Sh US $27.04 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Random Concept Summer Gathering - 2013 - Drum & Bass 7 x CD Pack US $32.45 Buy It Now 20h 14m
DIRTY BLAC DAT BUBBA 12" KEEP IT PUSHIN SEALED RANDOM RAP ARKANSAS US $15.00 Buy It Now 20h 57m
SEALED 1988 Random Rap LP Def Boys Caution Strawesome Records Darryl Strawberry US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 58m
KEV BROWN - RANDOM JOINTS - NEW CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 21h
Random Method - Bring It On - Plastic City #73968 US $6.48 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Random Hymns Phantom Limbs MUSIC CD US $8.31 Buy It Now 22h 8m
Rare random rap- Sport G And Mastermind - Live *HOLY GRAIL* Scarce!! 1988 US $215.00 [0 bids]
Bulletproof - Pandemic / Flashback - Random #147274 US $6.48 Buy It Now 22h 57m
Random Method - BT9 - Slide Recordings - 2001 #95866 US $6.48 Buy It Now 22h 58m
Scope - Random Motion - Out Of Romford - 1994 #174410 US $6.48 Buy It Now 22h 59m
SEALED* Raw G - BusyKickinRhythmes2TheRythem *RANDOM* US $12.89 Buy It Now 23h 15m
WHITE BOY It's Alright/ What 12" single Icee Records (2004) NM Random rap US $4.24 Buy It Now 23h 17m
JULIET - 12 track promo cd - RANDOM ORDER, 2005 Virgin EMI records US $6.99 Buy It Now 23h 29m
stuart moxham random rules cd young marble giants US $14.99 [0 bids]
Random acts of country Volume 2 - 44 of the worlds biggest country acts album CD US $1.81 [0 bids]
MARLEY MARL 45 7" 33 1/3 MAN FAZE ONE PROMO PRIVATE RANDOM Hip Hop RAP ELECTRO US $29.99 [0 bids]
Random Access Memories Daft Punk CD Sealed ! New ! 2013 US $11.02 Buy It Now 23h 57m
Random Access - Electric Storm - Problem Child #243148 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Random Access - Darker - Problem Child - 1995 #241366 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Smoke - Random As - Savalas Under-Develp - 2002 #304871 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Silver - The Jamaican Indian EP - Random EP 1 #138829 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Random Hero - Come Selecta / Darkness Born #83385 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
BLACK EYE PEAS - My Humps - RANDOM RAP 12" LIL JOHN US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KID FROST - La Raza - RANDOM RAP PROMO COPY 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SHAZAM X - Respect Cost More Than Money - RANDOM RAP12" US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SANDMAN - My Place - DETROIT RANDOM RAP 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MR. JOKER - We Gon Rep - DETROIT RANDOM RAP 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MICROPHONE MASTERS - Too Cold Chillin - RANDOM RAP 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bulletproof - Gangway - Random Recordings #168890 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Random Method - Bourbon - Slide - 2002 #93912 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Dopeskillz - Random Waves/In The Flow - 2000 #40561 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Trei - Cat Scratch - Random Recordings - 2006 #173033 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Trei - Lost World - Random Recordings - 2006 #203841 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Silver - Armshouse - Random Recordings - 2004 #130092 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Random Heroes - Bigger Than Jeebers NEW Mini CD US $8.43 Buy It Now 1 day
DR.ICE - Word To The Wise HIP-HOP/RANDOM RAP 12" PROMO US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RHYME POETIC MAFIA -Comin Thru Your Neighborhood-RANDOM US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN Random 2.3 12" REMIX EP *NEW* DAVE ANGEL US $15.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Petit Chara! Series - Sailor Moon Puchitto Oshiokiyo! Hen Figure BOX US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy RANDOM music online Buy RANDOM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RANDOM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RANDOM Pidanoma ratings distribution

RANDOM Pidanoma reviews

Review by memowakeman
4 stars What a great surprise!

It is well known between my colleagues and friends that I am not a real fan of metal in none of its genres and phases, however, there are some bands (actually albums) that I really dig, and now I am about to say that this new album by Argentinean band Random is joining that club. Thanks to the band themselves for letting me know about this album and sharing the music to me, I am happy with the result and surprised about my positive reception to it. Well, this is the second album by this prog metal band from Tucum'n, an album entitled 'Pidanoma' that features 5 tracks and a total time of 62 minutes, so as you can imagine, there are some long compositions here.

The album kicks off with 'Corto Normal' which shows the power of this trio, though it is not power foolish spread like some other metal acts (sorry for being mean towards this genre), here that energy is well composed and spread through intelligent and original compositions, and though the heavy vocals are not truly my cup of tea, I can deal with them, something I cannot do with other ones. 'Ojota y Media' is a curious short track that starts with a brief radio testimony and salutations, and later continues with an experimental passage when something like loud machines sound, weird, but not bad.

Now the long compositions come. The first epic is 'Mee Chango' which lasts over 17 minutes. Here the power trio enjoy what they do, one can listen to their power and heavy sound and know the music is a kind of therapy in which they compose and perform several life signs, facts that surround their lives and may be exposed through the music. In moments the voice sounds really loud, I actually prefer the experimental instrumental moments, such as the one here after 4 minutes where a dark and nervous atmosphere appears, accompanied by constant drums and strings here and there. Another thing I must mention due to its relevance, is the inclusion of a saxophone, man, it was a great decision, it produces new nuances and helps the passage being even more intuitive, more experimental. Now the music simply flows, the metal side may not be that obvious here, the heavy sound is, but not truly in a metal-ish way; it flows and becomes like a jam, experimental sound in which there are some extra noises that put more tension and interest to the music. Then it simply makes a change at minute 11 and slows down for a bit, just in order to explode once again, the bass sounds heavier and the music now becomes more appealing for the metal fans. More and more changes come, you just have to receive them with arms wide open.

'Mia Gato Est' Solo en la Oscuridad'starts agressive, with a sound that in other moments I would not dig, however here it seems interesting to me for some strange reasons. I like how experimental Random's music is, because it is tricky, it seems not to have a true structure, but actually it does and I love it. After three minutes the voice appears and goes in the same path as the music, and here I like the voice more because it is more emotional and less raging screams as in previous moments, here I even enjoy it. As you can imagine, there come loads of changes and odd moment in which the band don't keep their feelings, they show them and actually do what they want to do. There is a part at minute nine that I love, the guitar sound is pretty cool, and then it vanishes and a new salad of heavy sounds (with even a post rock touch) starts for a couple of minutes, then the music almost disappears and a moment of reflection appears all of a sudden. Some may say this album is filled with a bunch of strange noises, and it might be, but I like it, and that's what counts for me.

Last but not least the main epic comes. 'Guri Guri Tres Pi'as' and its 21 minutes finish this experimental prog metal album. This song starts soft, calm, relaxed, but it has that post metal sound that let us know it will explode all of a sudden. And yeah it happens after two minutes, an explosion comes and heavy sounds appear but just for some seconds, because later it drastically changes and becomes really calm, one can even close the eyes and feel tranquilized, so take a breath because it obviously does not finish here. So a new structure of the song is being built, guitar makes some charm noises while bass plays addictive lines and drums mark the rhythm and intensity. This long track is actually enormous, you just don't have to pressure yourself, don't be pushy and you will find your reward, it has some slow parts but when the energy explodes you will be part of the music itself, open your wings and fly to Random's realm. After 9 minutes the post rock and emotional music is even more evident, though later the experimental side with strange noises return. Man, this is a great, great track, and it was a great decision to finish the album with it, I can say I love it, I love the way it produces things on me, how can the music be that relevant and made me forget other things and just focus on it, it is brilliant.

Well, as you could notice, I fell in love specially with the last track, though I have to say Pidanoma is a very solid album that really surprised, I cannot even explain how this entered so easily in my tastes, knowing I am not keen on this genre, but well, I supposed I just let it flow and the music id the rest. Not a masterpiece at all, but I love it. Four stars!

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#1134851) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 21, 2014

Review by Guillermo
3 stars Well. First, I have to say that I don`t like "avant-garde-experimental music" very much, so maybe I am not a very good choice for reviewing albums with this style of music. Second, I don`t listen to Metal Music very much these days and I never have been a fan of music like this. But, I was kindly asked, as maybe other reviewers in this website were, to listen to this album and to write a review about it. Well. I couldn`t understand the lyrics, even if they are sung in the Spanish language (with even me being from Mexico). So... I think it is better to review the music in this album. I have to say that the album is very well recorded and mixed, being really an almost continuous piece of music with little differences between each song (the most notable difference is the song called "Ojota y Media" which sounds really like a sound collage with sound loops, sometimes maybe played backwards, and a spoken introduction which maybe criticizes organized religion). The rest of the songs are really very heavy pieces of music, full of distorted guitars, feedback, angry vocals, with the drums being the main instrument which, with the bass guitar, really carry the weight of each song in this album. So, for the most parts in this album the drummer really shines as a very good drummer, playing very fast heavy drums, and I think that he really has a lot of energy to play these songs at those continous fast rhtyhms (maybe he could finish the concerts very tired, really, but I think that all the members in this band are very young and with a lot of energy to do that ). Anyway, also there are some quiet passages in the songs. As a whole, the album shows a lot of energy, anger, good guitar atmospheres, being "dark" in mood in most parts. But I have to say that as a listener I really was a bit "tired" after listening to this album. So, maybe this album is more for the fans of this kind of music, not for me. I also have to say that I don`t like the cover design and that I can`t understand the concept behind its design.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#1136413) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 24, 2014

Review by aapatsos
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
3 stars I have not had anything similar on my musical plate for a while, so Random's second album ''Pidanoma'' was an interesting and somewhat surprising variation, mainly because Argentina does not often produce this type of eclectic, avant-garde, progressive metal.

Nearly everything, from the Spanish lyrics, to the uneven structure and long compositions of the album, supports the unconventional, peculiar and obscure sound from this offering. With three compositions exceeding 16 minutes in an album of just above 60, Random show that they are not afraid to experiment, are ambitious and this largely pays out.

Nevermind the Tool-esque bass beginning to the album; Random invest more on atmospheres coming straight out of King Crimson's darkest moments and mix this with contemporary expressions found in Indukti's experimentations or Kayo Dot's and Mr. Bungle's extraordinary structures. Of special mention is the strong use of saxophone in 'Me Chango', which gives an altogether different weight to the track's character, and the chaotic post-rock (ala Devin Townsend) soundscapes of the closing 'Guri Guri Tres Pinas'. The very long instrumental passages throughout the album do not tire the listener, except for some unneeded 'fillers' in 'Ojota Y Media' or the closing part of 'Mia Gato está Solo en la Os', which don't serve any useful purpose and slightly affect the consistency of this work.

The trained listener who enjoys high levels of avant-garde experimentation will surely enjoy the majority of the length of ''Pidanoma''. Although not exactly my type of everyday listen, I quite enjoyed this and if it were not for the few inconsistencies, this might have ended up in the 'excellent' category. Nevertheless, this is an intriguing offering and warmly recommended, especially to the RIO souls out there.

3.5 stars with thanks to the band for the promo.

Highlights: Me Chango, Guri Guri Tres Pinas

Send comments to aapatsos (BETA) | Report this review (#1140194) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 01, 2014

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Pidanoma" is the 2nd full-length studio album by Argentinian progressive metal act Random (or Los Random as they've opted to call themselves on this album). the album was released through Las T'as Records in January 2014. It's also available for download at a "Name Your Price" tag on the band's Bandcamp profile. "Pidanoma" features the same three-piece lineup, who recorded the band's debut full-length studio album "Todo.s los colores del (2011)" and the "Prrimo, the" EP from 2009.

...and it's obvious that these three guys have played together for a relatively long time now, because the musicianship on "Pidanoma" are absolutely brilliant (not that it wasn't the case on the two preceeding releases, but this time around Random have outdone themselves). These guys are very talented. Technically skilled but still with a great focus on adventurous and boundary breaking ideas and playing.

Stylistically the music on "Pidanoma" is a bit hard to tag correctly. It's progressive alright (I guess 3 tracks with a playing time of over 15 minutes each tell that story), but not in the respect that this sounds anything like Dream Theater and their ilk. This is more in the vein of artists like Intronaut or maybe Yakuza, but still with a unique sound of their own. The riffs are heavy and aggressive, the rythm section are busy and the drumming fusion influenced, and the vocals are expressive. Sometimes raw and sometimes more sensitive in nature (sometimes working more as an instrument than regular vocals). It's only occasionally riff based aggressive music though (actually mostly the opening track "Corto Normal") and the music is predominantly more atmospheric. There is a psychadelic/experimental element to the sound too, which generally works really well for Random. Actually most of the playing time of the three longer tracks on the album is taken up by jamming parts with noisy and experimental guitar sounds and in the case of "Mee Chango" screaming saxophone playing.

All tracks on the album are quite different sounding though. "Corto Normal" and "Mia Gato Est' Solo en la Oscuridad" feature most structured riff sections (the latter features around 6 minutes of experimental/ambient guitar nooding towards the end though), "Ojota y Media" is a short track featuring samples and electronic manipulation, "Mee Chango" has some structured parts but features a long jamming section, and the closing 20:53 minutes long "Guri Guri Tres Pi'as" features beautiful and mellow guitar playing and subtle rythmic playing before more loud and busy climaxes appear. It's a very dynamic track that develops quite a bit through it's playing time.

The sound production is professional, detailed and very well sounding, providing the perfect platform for the tracks to shine. "Pidanoma" is another step in Random's development of their musical style, and while I personally could have wished for more structured sections and less jamming and slow building post rock/metal parts, the music is so well performed and produced that it's impossible not to be intrigued. A 4 star (80%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1144436) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 09, 2014

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars I've said this countless times, but I'm always amazed at how vast the umbrella of prog rock is. Music as gentle as a summer breeze and relentless as a deadly army all fit snugly under the same blanket term of prog rock, and while of course one belongs to a different sub- genre than the other, they're all progressive rock in some way. But in terms of the different sub-genres that make up prog rock, prog metal is perhaps the most widely defined of all the sub genres. From extreme death metal like Meshuggah to crunchy experimental metal like Tool to 'vanilla' prog metal like Dream Theater, there is a plethora of styles within the metal scene.

One of the most exciting bands of the past few years to emerge from this scene is the young Argentinian band Random. With a fusion of relentless heavy riffing, a jazz-rhythm sensibility, and a nice sense of humor to boot (with song titles like "Mi Gato está solo en la Oscuridad," or, "My Cat is Scared of the Dark"). Their 2014 album Pidanoma shows this style extremely well. Pidanoma pushes the boundaries of experimental technical progressive metal even further than their excellent 2012 debut, Todo.s Los Colores Del, which was a phenomenal metal release of the year.

Pidanoma shows the power that a young band with no expecting fanbase has as well. While bands such as Dream Theater and Opeth cater to their fanbase, young bands such as Random will soon take the stage as they freely experiment with sound, form, and texture. This album is rife with these experimentations, and while at times the band goes astray with their riffing and jamming, they never stray far from home. The bulk of the album is taken up by the last three tracks, which last 17, 16, and 21 minutes apiece, respectively, and the band freely moves in and out of structures, feels, and dynamics while maintaining a sense of home and stylistic individuality.

And the band does weave a very unique style throughout the entire album. The music is a fascinating mix of technical metal, alternative metal, experimental metal, and a jagged RIO/jazz that adds a spicy element to the music. While the combination may sound less than appetizing, the band does it in a spectacular manner, making an excellent offering of music. The more atmospheric sections of the lengthy songs like "Mi Gato está solo en la Oscuridad" have a dark tinge to them, making for an almost haunting atmosphere. The instrumentations, which varies greatly with the utilization of the guitars, bass, vocals, and drums in excellently unique ways, contributes to the wonderful timbre of the album, which is really what gives this album its character.

Overall, Pidanoma is a treat for a fan of technical experimental metal. The band's phenomenal use of varied guitar tones, bass lines and riffs, textured atmospheres, and a spot on use of saxophone (by Adrian Terrazas-Gonzales of The Mars Volta fame, no less) make for a great sound that is utterly unique to Random. While this album suggests that the band is still in a bit of a maturation phase, I suggest that in future years Random will be a force to be reckoned with in the prog metal scene. 4 stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#1147635) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars According to their website, Los Random are an experimental trio from Tucumán, Argentina, who mix distant sounds from all quarters and kinds, creating their unique, eclectic and unpredictable music, which they define as "Incorrect". Starting in 2009, they have to date released one other full-length release and an EP, all with the same line-up of Pablo Lamela (bass), Raúl García Posse (guitar, vocals) and Marcos Crosa (drums). Musically this is all over the place, blending free jazz with Faith No More, Tool with Meshuggah, Art Zoyd and Hawkwind, and the result is a chaotic musical maelstrom where there are no rules, and all that matters is the music and following the path even though there appears to be no rational reason for doing so. In many ways it reminds me of the first time that I listed to Axis of Perdition, as although I knew that I was part of only a small group of people who would really appreciate it, I also knew that I had to keep listening as I was almost mesmerized by what was going on.

The use of sax on "Me Chango" is inspired, giving the music a very different feel, and it would have been interesting to hear more of that, possibly on a fully instrumental album to allow their space rock feel to really come through. This truly is progressive in its' truest sense, as it attempts to break through what many people would even believe what is music at all, let alone the subgenres and pigeonholes. Play this to most people and they won't see it through the first song, it is only a few of us that can get inside these guys minds and understand that what they are bringing to the scene is something new and incredibly exciting. Miss this at your peril, but you may not like it very much. www.losrandom.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1182058) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 01, 2014

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This new album from Los Normal came as something of a surprise. Not that it is a change from their previous style, that I don't know. In fact, before this, I had not known anything about this band. I never attempt to hide the fact that I am usually not terribly impressed with prog metal bands, unless they incorporate more traditional prog aspects in their music. Well these guys impress me.

While all three of these Argentinian musicians are very talented, it's the drummer, Marcos Luis Crosa, who stands out. His drum beats are powerful, precise, inventive, and rarely repetitive.

Musically, Los Normal seems to be about pushing the boundaries of experimental metal, often into strange territories.

The album begins with Corto Normal, the closest thing to a traditional prog metal track on the disk. Beginning with a Primus-like drum/bass rhythm, it is an excellent opening track. The only fault is the vocals of Raul Garcìa Posee. Maybe it's just my tastes, but I find that raspy style of punk shouting almost as unappealing as death metal growls. Posee does redeem himself with some great, crunchy guitar work.

Ojota y Media baffles me a bit. It sounds like an excerpt from a live concert, with some spoken word, possibly from a radio announcer (I don't speak Spanish), dropped in at either end. The performance may be good, but the lesser sound quality detracts from the album.

Then comes the meat of the album. The remaining three pieces are all over fifteen minutes long, and each one is great in it's own way. The first, Mee Chango is the most traditional of the three. It features some interesting guitar and bass work, but is driven by Crosa's incredible drumming. He starts out low key, and manages to steal the song by building from that subdued beginning to a frenzied drum extravaganza by the end. Neil Peart fans should get a smile out of this one.

Mia Gato Está Solo en la Oscuridad manages to capture some of the spirit of late sixties Pink Floyd experimentalism and place it in the Los Normal prog metal mind set.

Guri Guri Tres Piñas is the most experimental of the three, and at just over twenty minutes, the longest. Led by Posee's spacy guitar, this song send the listener on a nice psychedelic journey.

I'd say this is a great album. Not perfect, but still one of the best so far this year.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#1182538) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Post a review of RANDOM "Pidanoma"