ODE TO ECHO

Glass Hammer

Glass Hammer Ode To Echo album cover

Buy GLASS HAMMER Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

1. Garden of Hedon (6:57)
2. Misantrog (10:00)

- Aaron Raulston / drums

Additional musicians:
- Walter Moore / vocals
- Michelle Young / backing vocals
- Randy Jackson / guitar and backing vocals (3)
- David Ragsdale / violin (3)
- Rob Reed / piano and first Minimoog solo (2)

CD Sound Resources, Arion Records SR 3324 (2014 US)

Thanks to Second Life Syndrome for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

GLASS HAMMER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GLASS HAMMER Ode To Echo Music

Ode To EchoOde To Echo
Sound Resources / Arion Records 2014
ODE TO ECHOODE TO ECHO
MARQUEE
Ode to Echo by Glass Hammer [Music CD]Ode to Echo by Glass Hammer [Music CD]
Arion

More places to buy GLASS HAMMER music online Buy GLASS HAMMER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GLASS HAMMER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

GLASS HAMMER Ode To Echo ratings distribution

GLASS HAMMER Ode To Echo reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars I'm surprised at the minimal amount of reviews. And at the same time the new YES album gets myriads of (very strong and mostly negative) opinions! This thought came to my mind for the fact that Jon Davison sings on both albums. Surely Yes is on the very top in the entire prog history for me too, but when it comes to the prog of this Millennium, I'm much more interested to listen to newer bands, including those who draw their influence from the greats. GLASS HAMMER (US) belongs to the same generation with The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard, but seems to be notably less recognized (for example here in Finland I haven't seen their albums in libraries). I'm only vaguely familiar with their releases; Ode To Echo is actually my first complete GH experience.

I think this is a noteworthy slice of finely crafted modern symphonic prog. Also the art work from the worlds of Greek mythology and the classic art history is more fascinating than yet another Roger Dean landscape... The music is loaded with retro-oriented keyboards of Fred Schendel - and vocal harmonies, which is a typical feature in the US prog. Jon Davison is only one of three "lead vocals" here (others are Carl Growes and Susie Bogdanowicz) and there are many more vocals too, both from the core members and guests. Steve Babb's bass playing is a pleasure to spot throughout the album. Guitars perhaps remain too secondary on the long run.

The 52-minute album is a safe and pleasing, almost surpriseless, listening experience. Not much sticks to one's memory, but it feels natural to give it another spin right away. By listening the fine 10- minute 'Misantrog' you'd get a pretty good picture of the whole album; to some point it feels rather samey and lacks truly memorable moments. Tracks such as 'I Am I' - a dialogue between Echo and Narcissus - features plenty of complexity, but also the feeling of flying near the ground. The GENESIS epic 'Fountain of Salmacis' wipes floors with this music when it comes to the drama power and dynamics. Hey, now I figure out what's the problem: this music is too even, lacking of strong contrasts. Someone wrote "progginess just for the sake of sounding proggy" and I have to agree. As a background listening it works marvellously.

I don't know the origins of Gerry Coffin / Carole King -penned 'Porpoise Song' but I dislike the 60's psychedelic flavour in this version. Easily the worst track. Highlights include 'Crowbone' with a cool guest appearance of violin, cal and chamber music flavoured 'Panegyric' for Susie's voice, and perhaps the closing track 'Ozymandias' as a good example of the use of vocal harmonies and a colourful keyboard arsenal. Warm organ and electric piano are the most heard ones I guess; Wakemanesque melodic brightness is mostly mising.

As you can see, I'm not sure whether I'm fond of this album or do I find it slightly boring. Probably both. You better try yourself. 3½ stars.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1286345) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2014

3 stars I became curious to hear Glass Hammer when I read the newest review of their newest record earlier today. Glass hammer is an American prog band which has been around for more than twenty years and "Ode to Echo" from 2014 is their fifteenth studio album released two years after "Perilous". First ... (read more)

Report this review (#1286565) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Wednesday, October 01, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Mmm...the consensus appears to be that this marks yet another step forward for Glass Hammer, with a freshness and new-found accessibility that altogether forms a winning combination. I just don't see this at all, I'm afraid. After the splendid heights attained by "If" and "Perilous" (with "C ... (read more)

Report this review (#1224489) | Posted by tbstars1 | Saturday, July 26, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ode To Echo is the latest offering from Glass Hammer. Personally, I think it's their best album since If. Their last 2 albums, Cor Cordium and Perilous took some time to digest. Not Ode To Echo. This album had me hooked on the first listen. For those who say "oh, they're just a Yes clone", ... (read more)

Report this review (#1151848) | Posted by scaife | Friday, March 21, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ode to Echo finds Glass Hammer back in their stride. It harkens back to their pre-"IF" era but at the same time this release expands their sound while keeping it new and fresh. To me they've never sounded so tight. Ode to Echo is their best release to date which is saying a lot compared to wha ... (read more)

Report this review (#1149540) | Posted by FoldZan | Monday, March 17, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars My initial impression of 'Ode to Echo' was that I was a bit disappointed. There seemed to be less melody, less beauty and less passion than previous albums, and more what sounds to me as progginess just for the sake of sounding proggy rather than clear compositional direction. However, the album ... (read more)

Report this review (#1146101) | Posted by snelling | Tuesday, March 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GLASS HAMMER "Ode To Echo"