MIRAGE - A PORTRAYAL OF FIGURES

Flaming Row Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures album cover

Buy FLAMING ROW Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

CD1
1. Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures (Pt.1)
2. Aim L45
3. Burning Sky
4. Journey To The Afterlife
5. Alcatraz
6. Memento Mori
7. Pictures
8. In Appearance - A Portrayal Of Figures (Pt.2)

CD2 (Instrumental)
1. Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures (Pt.1)
2. Aim L45
3. Burning Sky
4. Journey To The Afterlife
5. Alcatraz
6. Memento Mori
7. Pictures
8. In Appearance - A Portrayal Of Figures (Pt.2)

Search FLAMING ROW Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures lyrics

Search FLAMING ROW Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures tabs

- Niklas Kahl / Drums
- Marek Arnold / Keyboards, Saxophone
- Martin Schnella / Guitars, Keyboards, Vocals
- Kiri Geile / Vocals

With:
- Jimmy Keegan (Spock's Beard, Santana)
- Leo Margarit (Pain Of Salvation)
- Kristoffer Gildenl÷w (Ex-Pain Of Salvation / Rust)
- Ted Leonard (Spock's Beard / Enchant)
- Magali Luyten (Ayreon / Beautiful Sin)
- Johan Hallgren (Ex-Pain Of Salvation)
- Dave Meros (Spock's Beard)
- Eric & Nathan Brenton (Neal Morse)
- Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon / Star One)
- Gary Wehrkamp & Brendt Allman (Shadow Gallery)
- Diego Tejeida (Haken)

February 28, 2014

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

FLAMING ROW MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FLAMING ROW Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures Music

Mirage-A Portrayal of FiguresMirage-A Portrayal of Figures
CD Baby 2014
ElinoireElinoire
CD Baby 2011

More places to buy FLAMING ROW music online Buy FLAMING ROW & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FLAMING ROW DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FLAMING ROW Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures ratings distribution

FLAMING ROW Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars It excites me to see progressive metal bands continually moving away from the norm, and toward new, fresh sounds and combinations. Flaming Row out of Germany has released their second album, and it's ambitious for certain. "Mirage - A Portrayal of Figures" is a massive, rock opera-like album that has a cohesive, definite story to it. "Mirage" is massive in many ways, from story to guest musicians. These guests include members of bands such as Haken, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, and even Ayreon. This is really impressive for a band that is only on its second album.

"Mirage" revolves around the Magistrate, a group of alien rulers that have decided that mankind has progressed too far in their technological abilities, but not far enough in their morality or unity. This certainly isn't anything new, as I can name a few albums off the top of my head with similar plots: however, the added twist is that the survivors have banded together to fight back, but a lowly soldier believes that his leaders have different plans than they claim. It's obviously quite an undertaking, and I believe they pull it off pretty well with a good twist at the end.

The lyrical content is epic at times, delicate and quiet in others. This album, like most rock operas, falls prey to a basic problem that grinds my gears. Often, the lyrics are written to be dialogue, and this ends up feeling cheap and forced, as this dialogue is usually not conducive to real songs. I especially felt this way about Ayreon's 2013 album, "The Theory of Everything". "Mirage", however, only falls into this rut a few times, as most of the album is comprised of real songs that are well-suited to the story.

The music is the shining force on this album. Calling Flaming Row a progressive metal band is a bit of a generalization, as there are many styles at work here. Sure, there are some hefty metal portions, but there are also jazzy sequences, American country parts, many European folk influences, and even some rousing "saloon" piano, for lack of a better description. These are all mixed well, seamlessly even.

The music is an eclectic mix, then, of heavy guitars (at times), dynamic drums and bass, the always excellent keys and sax of Marek Arnold, and guest musicians that play everything from Uilleann pipes, whistles, and violins to mandolins, cellos, and basically everything you can imagine. One can imagine the folksy vibe that would be present with all those wind and stringed instruments.

The tracks themselves are extraordinary for the most part. The album begins with a 16+ minute title track that feels epic and soaring. Right on its heels, though, we have my favorite track "Aim L45", a quieter, more organic and folksy tune that is simply beautiful. But, after that, "Burning Sky" starts the massive feeling all over again. This is rather representative of the entire album, as the styles and tone move up and down and all over the place. The myriad of vocalists that appear on this album make for a diverse, if sometimes hard to distinguish, array of "faces" to remember. It does feel a bit crowded at times, even hard to follow. However, the music keeps the listener grounded, and multiple listens are rather rewarding.

"Mirage", then, is a soaring story of giant proportions, one that is told well and executed musically even better. The many styles in play keep things interesting, and there are some jaw-dropping moments that really make the album what it is. Flaming Row, I believe, has trumped their first album by quite a bit here, and I expect to uncover more and more as I continue to listen to this wondrous album.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1164900) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars So, what we have here is the second album from German quartet Flaming Row, but is it? While Martin Schnella (guitars, keyboards, vocals) provided all of the music, based on a story written by Kiri Geile (vocals) and then arranged by Martin with Niklas Kahl (drums) and Marek Arnold (keyboards, saxophone), this is way more than ''just'' a band album. To be able to do justice to the story of the Third World War they have brought in a couple of guest musicians and the odd singer. Okay, to possibly put that more into perspective, the total singer and musician count on here is more than 30, and with the likes of Dave Meros, Kristoffer Gildenlow, Jimmy Keegan and Arjen Anthony Lucassen helping out on the music, and the likes of Ted Leonard, Magali Luyten, Simon Moskon and many others on the vocals, perhaps it isn't surprising that this is something a little special.

This is an over the top, multi-layered incredibly strongly produced album which sometimes stays in control as although each musician adds his piece it still somehow manages to remain a bombastic masterpiece instead of disappearing up an ego of its' own making. I challenge any lover of prog metal not to fall in love with this at the very first hearing, and just sit with the booklet and listen to the narration and singers telling the story while marveling at the melodic complexity that is displayed in front of your very ears. Although sounding nothing like Spock's Beard, it is almost as if they have captured the sheer brilliance of albums such as 'Snow', have then brought in some American melodic metal, combined it with the symphonic power of Nightwish while also ensuring that fans of the dexterity (both musically and lyrically) of Clive Nolan are well catered for.

Simply put, this is one of the most exciting and interesting albums that I have heard so far this year. I fell in love with it just a few bars into the first song and I kept hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed with the rest of the album while actually I just found more to savour. Each time I have played this new depths have come to light, and this has become for me one of those albums that actually prevents me writing about anything else as I just want to play it so much! It may be over the top, yet somehow there is enough restraint to ensure that it never really falls totally out of control, but rather shows that sometimes music needs to be more than just a couple of guys in a studio, and by adding so many others with their own techniques and styles it has allowed Flaming Row to create something very special indeed. The only question in my mind, is how on earth do they follow this? I note that in the booklet they state that this is to be continued, so that is something to look forward to indeed. www.flamingrow.de

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1215196) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 19, 2014

5 stars There has been a proliferation recently, notably from Germanic world, of what I call Broadway rock operas, that have roots as much in classic rock and pop as in metal. And unsurprisingly there is cross-contamination of members between bands, including between Flaming Row and similarly-minded, bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#1167006) | Posted by Progrussia | Tuesday, April 29, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FLAMING ROW "Mirage - A Portrayal Of Figures"