Nick Magnus

1. Time (6:23)
2. Memory (5:24)
3. Kombat Kid (6:28)
4. Headcase (3:49)
5. Eminent Victorians (7:01)
6. Broken (8:05)
7. Shadowland (2:51)
8. Entropy (6:46)

Search NICK MAGNUS N'monix lyrics

Search NICK MAGNUS N'monix tabs

- Nick Magnus / keyboards, percussion, vocals on 4, voice of Richard of York (aged 6) on 3
- Steve Hackett / guitar on 5, 6, 7
- Andy Neve / backing vocals on 5, 8

Label: Esoteric Antenna
April 28, 2014

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

NICK MAGNUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Collaborate with, learn how to submit new MP3s.

Buy NICK MAGNUS N'monix Music

Imports 2014
N'Monix by Magnus, Nick [Music CD]N'Monix by Magnus, Nick [Music CD]

More places to buy NICK MAGNUS music online Buy NICK MAGNUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NICK MAGNUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NICK MAGNUS N'monix ratings distribution

NICK MAGNUS N'monix reviews

Review by lazland
4 stars Four years after the truly excellent, and one I still play with some regularity, Children Of Another God, former Enid and Steve Hackett Band alumni Nick Magnus makes a welcome return to our aural senses with this thoroughly enjoyable, and intelligent, album.

The inner sleeve has a definition of mnemonic as a system or device for aiding memory. Much of what you hear and read is truly memorable, as well.

Magnus and his keyboards are at the heart of everything in this album, and parts of opener, Time, are almost industrial in parts, certainly not particularly typical of what one might have expected, but the surprise is welcome. Contrast this with album closer, Entropy, in which his keys bring a mysterious sense of warmth as they lead a track which is Celtic in its heart, and brings all of the thoughtful lyrics of the work (aiding memory) full circle.

In the predecessor album, there was a gorgeous track called The Others featuring the beautiful, almost operatic, vocals of Linda John-Pierre. Well, on N'Monix, he has gone one further, with Memory, the sister of time, by including the most gorgeous aria sung by Kate Faber, a soprano with the most incredible voice. This is the utter highlight of the album to me, a track which celebrates and fuses all that is best about traditional symphonic prog with its classical inspiration. Truly beautiful, and worth the price of admission alone.

What remains is a fascinating mix of the modern, traditional, pastoral, and clever all in one new package. Kombat Kid is a knowing nod for those of us with boys who love console games, but framed marvellously cleverly as a historical paradox of Richard III, whose remains were recently exhumed. Tony Patterson's vocals are sumptuous and extremely knowing.

Headcase ends the first side of the album (as would have been in days of yore), before, in Eminent Victorians, we hear the first appearance of three by Steve Hackett, once again lending his old friend a hand. This is, on this track more than any other, extremely appropriate, because this is the first of a side of music I think could quite easily have fitted alongside classic Genesis of circa 1971 Nursery Cryme vintage. You know, that marvellously quirky and eccentric pastoral English to its core rock. The vocals provided by another old Hackett collaborator, Pete Hicks, simply add to the atmosphere created, this in addition to those trademark Hackett licks working in tandem with Nick's keys so reminiscent of that period.

Talking of Hackett licks, just listen to his incredible solo work on the short instrumental, Shadowland, which combines this with the feel of Memory to provide us with an almost Gothic hymn of remembrance. Quite stunning, really.

This joy, though, itself pales into comparison with Broken, the longest track on the album, clocking in at just over eight minutes long. Steven Wilson collaborator Tim Bowness contributes a delicate and thoughtful vocal to a track, with flute, soprano sax, arpeggio guitar, and a wall of keyboards simply taking one on a magical life journey, told through said instruments and children's nursery rhymes, and this is key, because, through all the joy, this is, essentially, a dark track designed to make one reflect upon events of one's past. A huge clap, then, to a wonderful lyricist, Dick Foster.

This is a memorable album, and comes thoroughly recommended to anyone who enjoys that feeling of listening to an album which brings the feel of a classic period right into the modern era with aplomb, thought, production, and warmth. An album which demands attention, and brings the rewards that such attention should provide.

Four stars, but would have the extra half star if we had such a rating on the site. Yet another album which will stay with me and on my playlist for years to come, and proof positive that 2014 continues to develop into a vintage year for exceptional intelligent progressive rock.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
3 stars "Let's not be hasty, some insects are tasty!"

Four years after the very good Children Of Another God, Nick Magnus has released a new album in a similar vein. Many of the same people are involved again this time, including Steve Hackett - with whom Magnus used to play in the late 70's and early 80's on albums like Spectral Mornings, Defector, and Highly Strung - and Pete Hicks who also sang on some of Hackett's early albums. Tony Patterson, who sang some of the best songs on Children Of Another God, is also singing some songs here. Patterson has a rather Peter Gabriel-like voice and Gabriel-era Genesis is indeed a noticeable influence on the music of N'Monix. Other apparent musical influences include Gentle Giant, Alan Parsons Project, and The Beatles. Not surprisingly, some of the classic Hackett albums also provide a good reference point.

The opener Time is the album's best track in my opinion and it holds up well in comparison with the better songs off Children Of Another God. The same could be said about a couple of the other songs here, but overall N'Monix is not as good as Children Of Another God (but the cover art is much improved here!). Memory is out of place here with its high female vocals and Classical music, non-Rock sound. The next three tracks are all good though, Kombat Kid beginning in Neo-Classical territory but changes into full-on Gabriel-era Genesis style. Eminent Victorians also has some of the whimsy of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, and Headcase reminds me of some of Gentle Giant's "bouncy" tunes.

The final three tracks of the album slows things down considerably and I feel that, even though they are all of good quality, the album feels a bit "thin" towards the end. After the lovely Broken it feels as if they've already offered their best and that the rest is less essential. Also, with the exception of the misplaced Memory, all of the more Rocking tracks come at the first half or so of the album and this makes the rest come across as being not entirely connected to what went before. Perhaps, I would have arranged the tracks in a different order. But this is not major criticism, there are several eminently good moments even in this part of the album. The instrumental Shadowland reminds me of Brian May's Bijou from Queen's Innuendo album.

I learned some interesting facts that I did not know before from this educational album, for example that Richard of York was addicted to a video game and that old people from Texas eat spiders!

Recommended, but get Children Of Another God first; the latter is Magnus's best solo album.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars 3.5 stars for sure

NIck Magnus is without hesitation one of my fav keybordists from rog music , his contribution to Steve Hackett albums is essential. For more then 20 yesrs he has a solo career with 5 albums released so far under his name. From what I've heared from him Children of another god is his most acomplished album so far. His latest work issued this year is N'monix after 4 years silence from previous album. Well, this is another elegand old style prog reminescent a lot from glory days of this music '70. Guests are present again Steve Hackett, Tony Patterson or Rob Townsend among others. As I said this is mid tempo , laid back prog, but composed with grace and elegants passages are all over, showing that Nick Magnus even is in his late 50 , next year he will turn 60 is still a well respected figure in this genre and still with plenty of good ideas. Two pieces stands for me as really really great , the opening Time and the fabulous , I think one of his better and most intresting pieces he ever wrote is Eminent victorians, kick ass tune, the lyrics aswell are intresting, Steve Hackett providing some tasty guitar parts remind me in places of Gentle Giant atmosphere, special in instrumental sections. The rest are also strong but not great. All in all another worthy album from this talented musician, I do not think that this is his best album but close enough, Children of another God is his his prime release, at least for me. 3.5 stars, and a good aqusition. Nice art work and all.

Review by Windhawk
5 stars UK composer and musician Nick MAGNUS have been an active solo artist for more than two decades, with five full length productions to his name at this point. He's also known for a brief tenure with progressive rock band The Enid back in the 1970's, as well as working with Steve Hackett. "N'Monix" is his most recent album, and was released through Esoteric Recordings imprint Esoteric Antenna in 2014.

Nick Magnus tends to be described as a creator of symphonic progressive rock, and those with an affection for this kind of music will not be disappointed by this latest album of his. This is a production that have just about everything you could ask for from an album of this kind, especially if you have a special love for the British variety of the style as explored in the 1970's.

Fans of Genesis will adore the guitar and organ combinations that are used throughout, and alongside those with an affection for Camel they will also be swooned by the softer, layered mostly vintage keyboard arrangement used in some of the gentler escapades. Delicate piano and vocal passages have their place, and the emotional, controlled and fairly delicate lead vocals fits this type of music perfectly, perhaps not what one might describe as a great vocalist in terms of voice and range, but as far as I'm concerned vocals that are perfectly adapted to the sequences in which they are used, and able to convey emotions just about as perfect as one could ask from a human being.

In addition to the expected we have occasional dips into pastoral territories, as well as quite a few visits into stunningly beautiful orchestrated passages, where the second half of the pair Time / Memory is among the most beautiful experiences on a production that is breathtaking in it's beauty more often than not.

As this CD nears the end we're also treated to moods of a more sacral character. Shadowland most likely a rather well planned run through such a landscape with it's haunting guitar and choir backdrop, while the darker textures that opens Entropy, which then shifts into a song that in overall mood and atmosphere wouldn't be out of place on a Neal Morse worship album perhaps is more accidental, although I have to admit that I didn't follow the lyrics on that song all that closely.

Just about the only sour note I have are the lyrics for Kombat Kid. I've had computer games as a hobby for 30 years or thereabouts, and while I sympathize with the message I think the point of view is rather dead wrong in the lyrics department on that one, at least from what I could hear. Yes, games causes problems and even addictions but no, children aren't the main victims. Game addiction is rather more common among adults. Games like Football Manager and World of Warcraft will be familiar turf for people dealing with game addictions, as will so called social games on Facebook, cell phones and tablets.

If you have an interest and affection for symphonic progressive rock in general, and for the archetypical English 70's variety of it in particular, "N'Monix" is a CD you should note down on your short list of albums to inspect and most likely purchase, and those who love Genesis and Camel should probably be among the very first in line.

5 stars I absolutely love N'monix. One can say it's not terribly innovative or risk-taking and so on, and they'd be right. It's not. Instead, it's one of the best descendants of the 1970's epic British prog and it carries that tradition on brightly and warmly. I'm something of a romantic, so the open em ... (read more)

Report this review (#1454416) | Posted by Platy2112 | Tuesday, August 18, 2015 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I didn't know who Nick Magnus was until I read a review about his newest record and then I saw he played with Steve Hackett at his record "Spectral mornings"(and many more) which is one of my favourite records. I tried to listen to a couple of Nick Magnus' own songs and I heard from first moment ... (read more)

Report this review (#1300602) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Wednesday, November 05, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NICK MAGNUS "N'monix"