HIGHLY STRUNG

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Highly Strung ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Highly Strung reviews

Review by Matti
2 stars -- The first review -- A bit surprising to see VdGG having released a single in 2010's, and a vinyl 7" to be exact. Well, this was a limited edition of 1000 copies (is it a small number really, for a vinyl single that's surely a collector's item? Just wondering.) The source album for 'Highly Strung' is Grounding in Numbers, the third VdGG album following their comeback in 2005, and the second one not to have reeds man David Jackson in the line-up: just Peter Hammill (voc, g, p), Hugh Banton (org, keyb, b) and Guy Evans (dr, perc).

'Highly Strung' has a raw, punk-ish energy combined with a rhythmic angularity typical for post-70's King Crimson. Hammill sings in his more aggressive register I've never much enjoyed - and sounds quite the same as in the late 70's. In a way this song makes me think of the 1977 album Quiet Zone, in which it would definitely be the worst track in my opinion. There were a couple other tracks too that I didn't really like on Grounding in Numbers, but as a whole it's a pretty good album.

Oops, I just realized I don't find the B-side song 'Elsewhere' from the net, so without ever having heard it I can only say it's not on the album. Two stars is enough for 'Highly Strung'. Collectors/fans only, indeed.

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Highly Strung"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.