SYMPHONIE POUR LE JOUR OÙ BRÛLERONT LES CITÉS

Art Zoyd Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités album cover

Buy ART ZOYD Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

- Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités
1. Brigades Spéciales (13:23)
2. Masques (8:56)
3. Simulacres (6:53)
- Deux Images De La Cité Imbécile
4. Les Fourmis (5:31)
5. Scènes De Carnaval (8:50)

Search ART ZOYD Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités lyrics

Search ART ZOYD Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités tabs

- Patricia Dallio / grand piano, electric piano
- Alain Eckert / guitar, voices
- Gérard Hourbette / viola, violin
- Gilles Renard / saxophones
- Jean-Pierre Soarez / trumpet, percussion
- Thierry Zaboitzeff / bass guitar, cello, voices

LP Art Zoyd 01 (1976)(original version, self released)
LP Atem 7010 (1981)(re-recorded version)

and to Joolz for the last updates

ART ZOYD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ART ZOYD Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Musique Pour L'OdysseeMusique Pour L'Odyssee
Sub Rosa 2013
GENERATION SANS FUTUR(ltd.paper-sleeve)(reissue)GENERATION SANS FUTUR(ltd.paper-sleeve)(reissue)
MARQUEE
HaxanHaxan
Atonal (Caroline) 2003
Symphonie Pour Le Jour Ou Bruleront Les CitesSymphonie Pour Le Jour Ou Bruleront Les Cites
Sub Rosa 2012
NosferatuNosferatu
CD Baby 1993
FaustFaust
CD Baby 1993
Phase IVPhase IV
Imports 2008

More places to buy ART ZOYD music online Buy ART ZOYD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ART ZOYD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ART ZOYD Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités ratings distribution

ART ZOYD Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités reviews

Review by hdfisch
4 stars I've got to admit I just came recently into the fortunate situation to get this album of this great 70's avant-garde/RIO band. Actually it was the first time I listened to anything of them. But I listened already quite a lot of albums of ISILDURS BANE and I've got to say that these guys owe a lot to ART ZOYD. This kind of music might not be the easiest to fall in love to immediately, but honestly while I'm writing this article I'm listening to this album the very first time and I've got to say I like it.Especially the composition of the first track is just awesome. The second one "Masques" is somewhat more difficult to get used to. But still the way the how it's are being played it's nice to listen and enjoyable (and that reminds me so much to ISILDURS BANE) unlike as in many other records from this sub-genre. The Orchestration of all instruments is fitting perfectly together and actually I can't realise any disssonance, it just sounds great, dark in a way, dramatic and full of tension, sometimes reminding to soundtrack music for a thriller. In "Les Fourmis" some really strange vocals are being added up, sounds a bit like a cartoon, rather funny, then there are some spots of riffing taken from MIKE OLFIELD and others, rather chaotic this track, but great! In the last track chaos is going on with some really awful vocal noise accompanied by great (quite chaotic) orchestral instrumentation, rather ZAPPA-esk this thing! Just great!

I'd like to recommend this one to anyone interested in really innovative, but still enjoyable avant-garde music. Necessarily not only for die-hard fans of this sub-genre. Any open-minded prog-fan should check this one out!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#27810) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 25, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Little did Art Zoyd know that one day this album would become prophetic thirty years later. Hailing from, a small industrial (mining and steel) city in Northern France a stone's throw from Belgium (Maubeuge is where one of my great-grandfather was born), no doubt these guys lived in those suburbs that they predicted one day from a revolt would burn. One of the most intriguing things is how these future musicians got into such an awesome and experimental avant-garde group as Art Zoyd. Apart from the fact that a lot of Northern France's industrial cities were voting communist, one of the few positive things that communism ever brought was to make higher culture accessible to everyone including the poor (ESPECIALLY the poor), and this IMHO, might just be their (AZ) case. As was the case for Area, Henry Cow and other ultra avant-garde, Art Zoyd was resolutely left wing, much like all of the RIO-chart signatory groups (of which AZ were not original members but part of the second wave) and have a close link to Belgium's Univers Zero, their career throughout.

I am writing the preface of this review under a hypothetical probability strictly knowing what the album has to offer in terms of story through the titles of their works (no lyrics since the music is totally instrumental except for wordless vocals), but there seems to be a solid thread or story, even pressing me to declare this album conceptual. The music, clearly inspired from Bartok, Stravinsky, and Henry Cow or Zappa's "serious music" is screaming, yelling, howling its madness of the riots between Special Brigades and the activists wearing Masks into Masquerade (Simulacre is a sham or an pretentious enactment). This first side is simply stunning and the violence and tension ever present even if there is absolutely no rock element in their music (bar a short passage in Fourmis), but it fits their theme immaculately well.

The second side is an auto-criticism of those suburbs not yet in revolt: two tracks (the third one, Simulacre, still belonging to the first-side theme) depicting the never-ending suffering with an elusive hope of a brighter future (the revolt coming once this hope disappears). Fourmis (ants) is self-explanatory of their plight (with a passage compared to Canada Brass' Flight Of The Bumblebee), while Carnival (a very important theme even in atheist circles) is one of those breaks were they are allowed to vent off their frustrations by deriding the ones dominating them. As you might expect, the music loses some of its solemnity in this last track to adopt a (relatively) more festive tone.

Clearly the works of violinist Gerard Hourbette, greatly helped by Zabotzieff (of Polish descent like many miners fleeing Poland's misery in the late XIXth century) on bass and cello, the music is an impressive modern XXth classic, where my buddy JP Soarez soars on the woodwinds.

Dense, impenetrable or not easily accessible, this album (as most of AZ's works) does not surrender easily to one's taste buds. As a matter of fact, this sometimes obtuse (because of its difficult nature) is not easily recommendable unless you are a confirmed fan of this RIO-Zeuhl music current. Hence the four star rating.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#81137) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Review by el böthy
4 stars Art Zoyd´s first studio album is one of those "lost" gems that is too rare to attrack a wide (even in progressive rock) range of listeners but way too good to be left aside... well, isn´t that the case with most Avant Garde anyways?

An impressive first effort, one of those that make you wonder if the band will ever top themself, but apparently they did... and more than once. The music is very challeging, always interesting, incredibly complex and practically no rock can be found here, this is Avant Garde all the way thrue... If I had to let you know what this sounds like I would say that it´s like Stravinsky begun to write for little chamber groups, and yet this isn´t quite the case. As I said before, there is a notorious lack of rock here, emphasized by lack (again) of drums!!! That´s right people, this band has no drums... and yet the music has some of the most crazy rhythm´s you are likly to find... this guys truly are the bastards sons from Stravinsky!!! The violin/viola (for my delight there is more viola than violin) is spectacular, it´s, along with the bass, that powerful, fluent, expresive bass the spine of the music. The main instrument, or at least the one that makes most solos, is the trumpet, I told you this is not rock! The result, adding jazzy piano, some guitars, not very present though, some sax and crazy Magma like vocals, yet this ones aren´t in Kobaia (pitty) is mindblowing if you are ready for it... if not, your mind might actually blow up, so to be taken with caution!!! You have been warned! I can´t pick one song over the other, for they are all great, but I will say that some of the best moments in the album are the fast and furious viola passages from Brigades Spéciales, the groovy and crazy Simulacres´s rhythm section and the bass in Les Fourmis... but this would be an offense to the rest of the album.

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#135513) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2007

4 stars ART ZOYD are closely linked to UNIVERS ZERO, in fact Daniel Denis has played percussion on some of their recordings. It should be noted that ART ZOYD do not have a drummer, and when they do use percussion it is very sparingly. The music on this their debut I would describe as Chamber rock reminding me a lot of UNIVERS ZERO at times. This is often dark and intense but above all amazingly played.

"Brigades Speciales" opens with theatrical male vocal melodies that remind me of Basquiz while the music sounds like MAGMA. Trumpet and deep bass follows. It settles down to an eerie calm as violins and horns play softly. It kicks back in after 3 minutes with trumpet blast and great band interplay. This contrast continues. It becomes quite powerful 7 minutes in and check out the bass a minute later ! Violin and another powerful soundscape arrives 9 1/2 minutes in that has to be heard to be believed. Intense ! Some yelling and chaos 12 1/2 minutes in. What an opener ! "Masques" opens with what sounds like congas. Violin comes in mournfully followed by dissonant horns then deep bass lines as violin returns. It gets very intense 5 minutes in. These guys are incredible ! Those Zeuhl-like vocals make an appearance before 7 minutes. Love the Jazz flavour 8 minutes in before the song kicks back into gear.

"Simulacres" opens with horns before it becomes heavy rather quickly. Deep bass as outbursts of sounds come and go. More great bass 4 minutes in before another outburst. The suspense starts to build until your on the edge of your seat 6 minutes in. Awesome ! "Les Fourmis" features lots of bass, horns and violin. Crazy vocals after 1 1/2 minutes in the Rio tradition. It gets kind of silly instrumentally 3 minutes in. Check out the guitar before 5 minutes ! Where did that come from ? "Scenes De Carnaval" opens with horn blast before violin arrives a minute in. A calm after 2 minutes but dissonant horns and vocals change that. More vocals after 4 1/2 minutes with a calm a minute later. The bass is tremendous throughout.It becomes eerie 5 minutes in until smooth sax arrives 7 1/2 minutes in. It ends with an instrumental and vocal outburst.

A must have for Rio and UNIVERS ZERO fans out there. These guys are as good as advertised, if not better.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#175767) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 29, 2008

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Great surprise from a genre that still manages to catch me off guard every time I decide to give it another go. RIO Chamber music might not be the genre I like to listen to without a break every now and then but thanks to the great variety of styles and sounds incorporated in the term you know that you'll be taken for a ride no matter the band.

Unlike similar bands like Univers Zero I haven't had the opportunity to hear that many Art Zoyd albums due to the rare nature of their record availability. But after completely unexpectedly stumbling upon Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités I'm pretty certain that the album has peaked my interest enough for me to continue tracking down the rest of this band's discography. The debut album begins wild screams and shouts that took me completely by surprise the first time I heard them but this was clearly done to capture the listeners attention which the band clearly succeed in accomplishing. The majority of the material consists of pure Chamber Rock at its finest but there are quite a few technical Avant-Prog moments featured here as well. The best example of this sound can be heard on Simulacres which demostrates an interesting side of the band that, if explored to its full potential, might have taken this release from a strong 4-star release to an essential piece of the RIO/Avant-Prog genre.

Since this is my first Art Zoyd album it is difficult for me to say how it compares to the rest of the band's discography. The few sample tracks that I've heard from the later years sound a lot more electric which is definitely not the case with the debut album that only features acoustic instruments. The comparison to the early Univers Zero sound is almost unavoidable except that there is no bassoon and very little percussion heard through Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités.

It's important to mention that the music here isn't as dark as some of the other RIO Chamber music that I've heard on albums like Heresie, instead this can be described as Chamber music with an eclectic side to it. A must have for fans of the genre and an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection.

***** star songs: Simulacres (6:55)

**** star songs: Brigades Spéciales (13:21) Masques (8:59) Les Fourmis (5:34) Scènes De Carnaval (8:50)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#280246) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 02, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Just like partners in crime Univers Zero, Art Zoyd's debut is still very closely tied to the modern classical music of the beginning of the 20st century. With an ensemble consisting of mainly acoustic instruments, Art Zoyd present a consistent take on the harsh dissonance and rhythmical emphasis of early Stravinsky works.

The chamber rock of this Symphonie is less dark then UZ and at times it's even playful. Alain Eckert adds some sparse and wordless vocal eccentricities, or should I say roars, sighs and cries. He reminds me of Magma's Blasquiz. The bass guitar adds a rhythmical pulse that also reminds of Magma. No drums are present though. The pieces are excellently written and performed with brilliance, perfectly capturing the live energy during the sessions.

This album contains chamber rock that is dazzling, melodious and very spontaneous. I'd recommend it very much as a first exploration in the RIO field. For people familiar with this album I can very much recommend the debut of the current Belgian band Aranis. 4.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#284708) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 03, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars Take the chamber rock and apocalyptic tone of early Univers Zero, run it through the laundry to wash the goth out of it, and sprinkle it with some Mothers of Invention whimsy and you might get a close approximation to the Art Zoyd sound as expressed on this album. Whilst I fully concede that it's an extremely original piece of work and doubtless a major influence on the chamber rock genre, at the same time I just can't get into it - to my ears, it sounds like there's a bit too much weirdness and inaccessibility for the sake of it to my tastes. If you took out the hootings and the dissonance, you wouldn't have very much left, and the hootings and dissonance do nothing for me. Approach with caution: you may find, like me, that after repeated careful listenings the album just fails to connect with you.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#549125) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 12, 2011

4 stars Along with Present and Univers Zero, Art Zoyd shows an acoustic RIO made of horror. The basic instrumentation is made of violins, cellos and metals but in the best moments we found an electric bass building some rock themes! Lots of breaks are found: melodies come in, melodies come out, mosty ... (read more)

Report this review (#267094) | Posted by Thiago Hallak | Friday, February 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is excellent, (literally) stunning music - sheer passion and conviction meeting compositional and ensemble virtuosity in head on collision. The music of 'Art Zoyd' is similar to that of contemporaries 'Univers Zero' and 'The Present' in that one could consider it contemporary art music wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#173632) | Posted by Neil C | Wednesday, June 11, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I wonder how many people here have actually heard the first Art Zoyd LP? The line-up listed above is for the third LP -- the re-recorded version from July 1980. The original Lp was recorded in 1976 and released in such small quantities that it went out of print very quickly. The first LP is ... (read more)

Report this review (#120697) | Posted by numediaman | Thursday, May 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The french band's record is a fantastic achievement. This french band plays classic and jazzy RIO music. There are artistic voices, but there is no singing. The instruments are very interesting as you can see above. Moreover, Art Zoyd is very different than the RIO bands of the late 70s and th ... (read more)

Report this review (#43546) | Posted by Dan Yaron | Saturday, August 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of their best in my opinion. The album is soaked with chaos from beginning to end - Thierry Zeboitzeff's vocals are magnificent - so honest, so well performed. The arrangements are also very clever, especially the violin/viola/trumpet. Lots of motives are semingly simple but are very compl ... (read more)

Report this review (#27809) | Posted by | Friday, December 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ART ZOYD "Symphonie Pour Le Jour Où Brûleront Les Cités"