MANDALABAND (AKA MANDALABAND I)

Mandalaband

b) Movement two (4:34)
c) Movement three (3:29)
d) Movement four (4:56)
2. Determination (5:49)
3. Song for a king (5:19)
4. Roof of the world (4:30)
5. Looking in (4:42)

Search MANDALABAND Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I) lyrics

Search MANDALABAND Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I) tabs

- Tony Cresswell / drums, Tubular bells, tympani
- David Durant / lead vocals
- Vic Emerson / keyboards, clavinet, string & chorus arrangements, synthesizers, glockenspiel
- Ashley Mulford / guitars
- John Stimpson / bass, acoustic guitar

+ The London Chorale

Lp. Chrysalis Records CHR 1095 / Cd. Edsel Records EDCD 343 (1992)

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

MANDALABAND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANDALABAND Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I) Music

Legend Records
Eye of WendorEye of Wendor
Remastered · Import
Eclectic 2004
MANDALABAND I +3(paper-sleeve)(remaster)(reissue)MANDALABAND I +3(paper-sleeve)(remaster)(reissue)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
THE EYE OF WENDOR +3(paper-sleeve)(remaster)(reissue)THE EYE OF WENDOR +3(paper-sleeve)(remaster)(reissue)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
CHRYSALIS
Vinyl$10.00 (used)
4 (Ad-Sangreal)4 (Ad-Sangreal)
Indies Japan/Zoom 2011
MANDALABAND rare uk 1st press CHRYSALIS LP superb NM- US $35.14 Buy It Now 1 day
MAJESTIC - EPSILON 1 DIGI CD APRIL 2014 PROJECT + MARC ATKINSON MANDALABAND US $16.23 Buy It Now 2 days
MANDALABAND self titled LP Chrysalis PROMO US $21.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MANDALABAND-IV AD-SANGREAL-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G35 US $32.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SAD CAFE "Misplaced Ideals" WHITE LABEL PROMO LP 1978 (A&M SP 4737) Mandalaband US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MANDALABAND - BC ANCESTORS NEW OCT 09 SUPERB PROJECT US $16.96 Buy It Now 5 days
MANDALABAND-The Eye Of Wendor Japan 1st.Press w/OBI YES BJH Moody Blues 10CC US $39.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Mandalaband Iii - Bc-Ancestors CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 6 days
Mandalaband - Mandalaband + The Eye of Wendor: Prophecies 2CD US $20.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MANDALABAND MANDALABAND IV - AD: SANGREAL SEALED 2011 PROJECT BJH US $15.80 Buy It Now 6 days
MANDALABAND "THE EYE OF WENDOR" Prophecies in mint vinyl inc. LARGE posterinsert US $9.99 [0 bids]
MANDALABAND-III BC-ANCESTORS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G35 US $32.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MANDALABAND 1st ALBUM PROMO EMPTY BOX FOR JAPAN MINI LP CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MANDALABAND III - BC-ANCESTORS (UK) NEW CD US $25.33 Buy It Now 8 days
Mandalaband- S/T. Prog, pysch, symphonic, Chrysalis, CHR 1095 US $21.90 Buy It Now 8 days
Mandalaband / Same w/ Song For A King / Looking In / Determination Vinyl LP US $12.75 Buy It Now 8 days
Mandalaband: s/t [1st] Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd steeleye span Q US $47.50 Buy It Now 10 days
MANDALABAND-SELF TITLED-LP-VINYL-RECORD-CHRYSALIS-OLIVE LABEL-1ST PRESSING US $10.99 Buy It Now 12 days
MANDALABAND - THE EYE OF WENDOR: Prophecies + insert SUPERB NM US $29.28 Buy It Now 13 days
Mandalaband~ORIG 1975 Chrysalis PROMO LP hippie psych US $22.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Mandalaband - Self Titled LP UK 1st Press Chrysalis CHR1095 A-2U/B-2U Porky Prog US $33.28 Buy It Now 17 days
MANDALABAND, The Eye of Wendor UK 1st pressing A3 matrix EXC- LP Barclay James US $27.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Mandalaband Iii - Bc-Ancestors [CD New] US $20.84 Buy It Now 18 days
MANDALABAND I & II - RESURRECTION NOV 2010 2cd + US $24.97 Buy It Now 19 days
Mandalaband IV:Sangreal Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd genesis steeleye Q US $38.00 Buy It Now 19 days
Sad Cafe: Fanx Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd jethro tull mandalaband Q US $52.25 Buy It Now 19 days
MANDALABAND S/T 1976 JAPAN W/L PROMO LP w/ OBI US $24.99 Buy It Now 20 days
MANDALABAND on Chrysalis Records PROMO COPY US $19.99 Buy It Now 20 days
MANDALABAND?/?JAPAN Mini-LP CD x 2 titles PROMO BOX Set!!??(1st BOX) US $142.50 Buy It Now 21 days
Mandalaband Original SEALED LP 1975 Chrysalis US Press Prog US $32.99 Buy It Now 21 days
? Sad Cafe - Misplaced Ideals (ex-Mandalaband members) US $14.99 Buy It Now 24 days
? Sad Cafe - Misplaced Ideals (UK) (ex-Mandalaband) US $19.99 Buy It Now 24 days
? Sad Cafe - Facades (A&M 4779)(ex-Mandalaband members) US $14.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Bc Ancestors - Iii Mandalaband New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $24.60 Buy It Now 26 days
MANDALABAND / S/T LP w/OBI Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $29.99 Buy It Now 26 days
MANDALABAND japan org LP promo white label UK prog 1976 KING CHY1095 US $29.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Mandalaband: Self Titled LP VG++/NM Canada Chrysalis US $24.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MANDALABAND music online Buy MANDALABAND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANDALABAND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANDALABAND Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I) ratings distribution

MANDALABAND Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I) reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This mythic & heroic progressive rock album is surprisingly excellent! On side 1, It has TONS of BEAUTIFUL, poignant, intense and religious male & female choir parts. The heroic floating and symphonic keyboards are quite intense and anthemic. The keyboards and choir clearly remind Rick Wakeman's work in the 70's. The omnipresent electric guitar sometimes sounds like Steve Hackett's one of the Genesis' "Selling England by the pound" album. There are a few weird psychedelic parts, but fortunately they do not last for a long time.

On side 1, The OUTSTANDING & epic "Om mani padme hum" contains impressive jazzy piano parts a la Keith Emerson or Eddie Jobson; there is a brilliant, exciting & melodic tubular bells part; the symphonic & anthemic keyboards are just memorable. The electric guitar near the end, despite its hard rock tendency, does not kill the grandeur of this long track.

The other side is different and less good. The tracks are shorter and they often have a more straightforward loaded rock/hard rock tendency, without the flamboyant choirs and keyboards present on the first side. "Determination" contains dirty rhythmic organs, wah- wah hard rock electric guitars and fast & complex drums, a bit like on the first Camel's album. "Song for a king" is more like the first side: the beautiful and melodic track is absolutely memorable with the catchy and addictive lead vocals, refined keyboards arrangements and Hackett-like guitar solos. The very good "Roof of the world" takes a rather fast and aggressive mood: it has fast and restless drums, hard rock guitar solos, floating mellotron and catchy lead vocals: there is again a mythic & heroic mood present on this track. The last track has mellow Fender Rhodes notes: combined with the tender voice, it reminds me the Gentle Giant's "Aspirations" track.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#28530) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 11, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Funny that I don't really like this one for I am usually attracted to Tibet-related topics but this fails to captivate me. Maybe , it was this jump on the bandwagon of Tibet that displeased me at the times , because I discovered this as it came out, this had an artificial flavour to it. Also the fact that I am ferociously non-religious (not anti-religious) did not help this in my perception.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#28527) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2004

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars I got kind of interested in this band when I was working on a short bio for them a while back, and particularly in this album since it represents the purer form of the band’s music from a progressive point of view (kind of like comparing the first and third Captain Beyond albums, if you’re familiar with those).

This is a bit of an unusual piece of work, and the two sides are rather different. The first side-length track is “Om Mani Padme Hum”, that phrase being some sort of Buddhist mantra whose full meaning is a bit more complex than I care to try and decipher. The song (and the album, I gather) is supposed to represent a tribute of sorts to the struggle against occupation by the Tibetan people, a popular cause of musicians in the earlier seventies. The track is divided into four movements, and is full of gorgeous harmonic vocals and synth strings, as well as some pretty intricate guitar work by a very young Ashley Mulford (Sad Cafė, Mike & the Mechanics). While the overall sound is a bit dated, the recording quality is surprisingly good for the time period, and the arrangements make for an enjoyable listen, although the message in the lyrics is kind of secondary to the music.

The reverse of the album consists of four shorter tracks, and a wider range of styles. “Determination” starts off with some discordant guitar and timpani, while singer David Durant sounds a bit like Gregg Rolie from the early Journey albums. The guitars and keyboards here are more typical of early seventies psychedelic music than the opening track, engaging enough but not particularly memorable.

“Song for a King” sounds closer to late sixties folk rock than symphonic, with acoustic guitar and simpler keyboard arrangements, and Durant waxing philosophical in a throaty tenor.

On “Root of the World” Mulford kicks up some blues-inspired licks not unlike the first couple Spirit albums, with Durant clamoring on about those brave Tibetan peasants suffering atrocities at the hands of their occupiers. The lyrics are a bit hard to follow, but like the rest of the album the guitars and keyboards give life to an otherwise tepid tune.

The closing track is the languid “Looking In”, an introspective outsider-looking-in melancholic yet hopeful tale of rebirth from despair. While the keyboards are pleasing enough, the message is a bit preachy and not all that believable coming from a group of middle-class Brits. The ‘reborn’ part breathes some life into the ending with Mulford offering up a sprightly guitar ending, but the end itself is rather anticlimactic.

I have to say that the effort of finding a copy of this rather obscure recording was a bit more interesting than the music itself. The second and final album released under the name Mandalaband is easy to find, but my understanding is that one is more of an all- star lineup that was originally supposed to be one of a trilogy of Tolkienish recordings. The other two were never completed.

This is a worthwhile investment for the curious collector, but don’t expect to be blown away or anything by the music. It’s a nice snapshot of an ambitious project that never really amounted to much, unless you count the more mainstream music of Sad Cafė that most of the lineup went on to form. Three stars for its novelty and dated charm, but no more than that.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#102867) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I have to say that I have a mixed feeling about this album.

One the one hand there are sublime instrumental passages but almost at the same time some weak vocals are drastically dragging this work on the lower site. One thing is for sure: you should listen further than the opening track to get the whole picture.

This intro piece might lead you on the wrong side of their music. It is indeed pretty much symphonic, and I like it as such but it might remind you too much of all the pomposity of an ELP.

Although this is a characteristics that is present on later tracks, it shouldn't overshadow the whole; which is rather pleasant and holds some brave guitar breaks as well like during the fourth movement of the epic ''Om Mani Padme Hum''. A very fine way to close this 20 minutes + track.

I would say that the other songs are not so convincing: more hard-rock or psyche oriented, they might hurt some prog ears but I don't complain. These sounds have filled my teenage days, after all.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#216009) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 15, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Free Tibet!

This debut album is by far the best of Mandalaband's three albums and (presumably) the sole reason that they are listed as Symphonic Prog. This album is also the only album on which Mandalaband is really a band; on the subsequent two albums they were more of a 'project' led by David Rohl (similar in structure to the Alan Parsons Project). But just like the subsequent two albums, this debut is similarly conceptual or thematic and the theme or concept this first time around was about Tibet.

It was quite hard for me to find this album, but I finally managed to find it on vinyl LP and I transferred it to my computer. I have subsequently tracked down a version of Mandalaband II on CD which contains the four-movement suite Om Mani Padme Hum as a bonus track. On the vinyl album this largely instrumental epic named after a Buddhist mantra and with occasional vocals in an unknown (to me) language takes up the first half while the second half is left to shorter and more direct songs sung in English. The sound of this album is quite unique, but bands and artists such as Focus (think Hamburger Concerto), Mike Oldfield, Caravan, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer and Beggar's Opera readily come to mind. While none of these references are quite able to fully capture the multifaceted nature of Mandalaband, this album will appeal to fans of classic Symphonic Prog.

After the rather gentle epic, the second side speeds things up considerably with the heavy Determination. This song has a very Yes-like (think Roundabout) bass and keyboard approach. This is probably my favourite track of the album. Song For A King is more Camel/Caravan-like, a nice melodic tune. Roof Of The World once again picks up the tempo a bit and this one reminds me a bit of Beggar's Opera or possibly Arthur Brown. Looking In is another Caravan-like, slightly jazzier piece that closes this album in fine fashion.

All three albums by Mandalaband are worth having, but this is definitely the one to go for first.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#290622) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I must confess I was a little skeptical at first about the potential of this project. A concept album about Chinaīs domination of Tibet? It sounded like one of those records where the cause debated is quite noble but the musical side takes a back seat on it. Besides I never heard of these musicians before. Nor about their creator, composer and producer David Rohl. And the ratings here varied wildly. However, I decided to take a chance on it and I was rewarded by getting a true 70īs jewel!

Side one consists entirely of the epic Om Mani Padme Hum, divided in four parts (or movements). The vocals are sung in tibetian and, believe it or not, they worked brilliantly. Musically this is symphonic rock at its best, with some fiery guitar solos, soaring choirs and wonderful keyboards. Nothing really groundbreaking of course, fairly common stuff of the time in fact, but excellent anyway. The instrumental part of this work reminded me of works by artists like Rick Wakeman and Renaissance were doing then, while the orchestrations bring up memories of Burt Bacharachīs arrangements he had done on the film Lost Horizon (1972). Some eastern sounds and rhythms are evident too, but not too much.

Side two is made up of four independent short songs, all still dealing with the main theme of the invasion and dominance of Tibet. But those tunes tend towards a less symphonic and more prog rock approach. Here we have english vocals and again nice guitars and swirling Hammond organs. All good ones, by the way. I really liked David Durantīs versatile vocals and the terrific musicanship of all involved. Production is ok for the time and there is not a single note wasted throughout the record. I guess the highlight of this album is the epic Om Mani Padme Hum, but the rocking side two is also quite powerful too.

Conclusion: one of the best obscure concept albums I found in many years, if not the best. Inspired, melodic, bombastic and very well done. I was tempted to give it a five star rating, but I think a 4.5 one is more fitting. If youīre into great symphonic works of the 70īs you canīt miss this one. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#383562) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This is a tough album to judge. The musicians are absolutely superb. Particularly I find Vic Emerson's keyboards and Tony Cresswell's drums to be up to par with many better known prog performances. But the compositions rarely do them justice.

The album is essentially two parts. The first half is a four part suite called Om Mani Padme Hum. This is a bombastic somewhat symphonic work, that relies heavily on orchestral and choral arrangements. There are some nice passages, but much of it sounds like it was recorded in a vast cavern, giving it a mushy sound. And while compositionally, the music is fairly good, it is spoiled by overly theatrical vocals.

The second half consists of four slightly proggy tracks, that have a sound that reminds me a bit of early Yes, or possibly Flash. Unfortunately, these songs also have the overbearing vocals, which happen to be singing unbearably naive lyrics, all pertaining to Tibet and the Dalai Lama.

There is some intrinsic value to the album, based mostly on the instrumental performances. But I can't give it any more than three stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#925273) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 06, 2013

3 stars This is a strange album from a strange band. Well, most prog rock bands are strange. But this band is specially strange. Or is it a project ? Well, read the biography and decide yourself. The opening track is a symphony of some sorts in four movements. The similarities to ELP is duly noted. ... (read more)

Report this review (#219655) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, June 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Mandalaband and this album, together with The eye of Vendor, is two very heavy works in the music history.I have strong memories of this time and this kind of special melodic and synfonic sound. It's happiness and love and hope for the future, that never came .Mandalaband is like nothing else ... (read more)

Report this review (#146952) | Posted by musicplayer.se | Thursday, October 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of my favourite albums ever. It`s hard to believe why Mandalaband released only two albums. If this album contained only Om Mani Padme Hum, it still would be a masterpiece of progressive music deserving 5 stars, but there are other extraordinary songs which make this album essential. Dav ... (read more)

Report this review (#48748) | Posted by Mephew | Tuesday, September 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Album released in 1975 "Mandalaband". It is a minority nation invasion by the large country that the cloth of the jacket symbolizes. It is a theme of this work to indict an arrogant act of this large country. Everything is carried out from masterpiece "Om Mani Padme Hum" to the other 4 works b ... (read more)

Report this review (#44077) | Posted by braindamage | Wednesday, August 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars From the first notes/tones you can hear that this is NOT an ordinairy album. a wonderfull theme arises...and the superb vocals of David Durant (who he?) soars abowe the fantastic song that is the first theme into:"Om Mani Padme Hum" a suite in 4 movements (build over the Tibetan national anthem) ... (read more)

Report this review (#28526) | Posted by Tonny Larz | Friday, April 02, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANDALABAND "Mandalaband (aka Mandalaband I)"