MALICORNE 2

Prog Folk

Malicorne Malicorne 2 album cover

Buy MALICORNE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Le mariage anglais (4:07)
2. Le garçon jardinier (2:54)
3. La fille aux chansons (marion s'y promène) (10:27)
4. J'ai vu le loup, le renard et la belette (2:29)
5. Cortège de noce (4:08)
6. Branle - la péronelle (4:32)
7. Le galant indiscret (2:19)
8. Marions les roses (chant de quête) (3:32)
9. Suite : bourrée, scottishe - valse (2:34)
10. Le bouvier (5:14)

Search MALICORNE Malicorne 2 lyrics

Search MALICORNE Malicorne 2 tabs

- Gabriel Yacoub / acoustic and electric guitar, epinette de Vosges, vocals
- Marie Yacoub / electric dulcimer, bouzouki, hurdy-gurdy, vocals
- Laurent Vercambre / violin, bouzouki, psaltery, harmonium, mandolin, vocals
- Hughes de Courson / electric guitar, bass, crumhorn, percussion, vocals

Hexagone 883.004 [V - importation], 193.652 [CD - importation]

MALICORNE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MALICORNE Malicorne 2 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Nous SommesNous Sommes
Balancoire En FeuBalancoire En Feu
Imports 2005
Le BestiaireLe Bestiaire
Audio CD$85.68 (used)

More places to buy MALICORNE music online Buy MALICORNE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MALICORNE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MALICORNE Malicorne 2 ratings distribution

MALICORNE Malicorne 2 reviews

Review by Heptade
4 stars This is an absolute electric folk classic. The Yacoubs are both incredible vocalists, and the use of electric and acoustic folk/medieval instruments is perfectly balanced. I haven't heard a lot of French traditional music, Breton or otherwise, but if it's all as haunting as this, I'll buy the lot. There is a lot of resemblance to medieval music and even some scales more akin to Eastern music than Celtic, although this music is quite closely related to Gaelic music. The songs are haunting, making excellent use of drones and exquisite vocal harmonies. The closest Anglo approximation I can think of is Steeleye Span's Please to See the King or Below the Salt, two pre-rock electric folk albums with a similar eerie medievally vibe. I can't give it the five stars it deserves, not being prog, but certainly 70s prog fans will enjoy Malicorne's music.

Send comments to Heptade (BETA) | Report this review (#88417) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
3 stars Malicorne is a French Progressive Folk band, and this is their second album, released in 1975.

For me is always nice to hear music in different languages, different than the ones I'm used to. This always makes me pay attention right away.

The music in Malicorne (1975) follows the Folk path with a bit Prog here and there. Not that Progressive Folk really, but the music itself is quite good and interesting! We have some good bass lines and many interesting vocals. Also, some cheerful melodies and unusual instruments along with the common acoustic guitars.

Although I admit that French language is hard (for me) to get used to this is a very interesting album. A bit of Harmonium here a bit of Ange there and lots of nice acoustic moments.

Send comments to ProgShine (BETA) | Report this review (#209788) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 02, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars On their second album, things start coming together for Malicorne. It's still a folksy album but the quality is high throughout and there are some moments of astonishing beauty. As to the whole progressive debate, Malicorne is decidedly no rock but progressive yes, at least in my book. They helped redefine folk music from something stuffy and grey into something modern and fresh.

The highlight is the 10 minute epic plaintive ballad La fille aux chansons, one of the most touching and overwhelming expressions of pain and sadness that I know. The grief becomes almost tangible and the exquisite beauty of it is absolutely timeless and universal. Together with a few songs from eastern world music, this is guaranteed to cause a lump in my throat.

Their ensuing album Almanach is their crowning achievement but you shouldn't miss this album if you feel anything for bands like Fairport Convention, Decemberists or even Dead Can Dance.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253778) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
1 stars Let's party like it was 1489!!!

Maybe I am missing the plot here, but I honestly don't hear the prog in this outing. Not that I need to - I happen to enjoy a wide variety of music from classical to hip hop, but this sophomore release by Frenck folkers Malicorne just doesn't do anything for me.

Firstly, and to address my opening accusation: Where is the prog hiding? To this listener it sounds like a slab of genuine folk music, and no matter how much these individuals excel on an acoustic guitar - play it upside down with their back teeth and a sparrow in their pocket, that is all I am hearing. Truth be told, Malicorne are a bunch of astonishingly gifted musicians who play stuff like krümhorn, electric dulcimer, bouzouki, hurdy-gurdy, psaltery, harmonium, mandolin, violin and something called epinette de Vosges which is a traditional picked string instrument from France. Well ooh la la - and sacre bleu all at once you may say in a feverish ecstasy!

The problem however is that I keep thinking in medieval paintings and settings. The music instantly flies me off to a dozen old Robin Hood movies with men in tights and green clothing swinging around bonfires with a half eaten ham in one hand and a laughing toothless wench in the other. Other times there is more of a royal court feel happening, as in proper ancient string instruments being picked like were you about to experience the entrance ceremony to Louis Quatorze's inner most sacred chambers. It sounds mystical and deer like a crown of jewels and gold figurines, but it still doesn't put the umph in my trousers in any way conceivable.

Oh yeah there are festive musical scenes as well. How could I ever forget? Louis obviously feels secure and laid back around you, and subsequently invites you to the in house castle ball underneath his mighty fortress of stone. There up-lit by a million golden candles you find fair ladies with huge balcony dresses and Cruella Deville hair - painted porcelain white in their faces twirling about to the music that slowly and comfortably spins around its own axis sounding like one of those musical boxes you need a key to operate. Even the individual tracks on this album sound like they have that opening salute you often see in old cinematic ball scenes, where the dancers bow for one another. That happens with the music too - this tiny ode making sure that the audience is ready for a good waltz around the castle.

If you haven't yet noticed, I am not a fan of this kind of music. It's not what I would expect finding on PA, and those sparsely scattered moments on this album - like the electric stuttering guitar hammers that lie waaaaaay in the back of the second track are not enough to persuade me out of my thermal g-string. These moments are however my favourite things about Malicorne 2, but I still won't be reaching out for it any time soon, unless I've bagged a red-headed vampire Kate Beckinsale look-alike that just loves music from her youth ie pop from the middle ages and the renaissance.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#701681) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012

4 stars "Malicorne 2" is the continuation of what started on the MALICORNE 1974 debut album, further elaborated in 1975 and accomplished one year later on their third album "Almanach". Although not as "sophisticated" as "Almanach", "Malicorne 2" is absolutely worth buying. For also this second album ... (read more)

Report this review (#37258) | Posted by annika | Wednesday, June 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The absolute best in French folk of the 70's. May take a while to get used to, but worth the effort, the song "Marion s'y promene" alone is worth every attempt to listen to this album. This record is a perfect and very rare traditional non-breton French folk blend with modern harmony and ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#28624) | Posted by | Thursday, February 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MALICORNE "Malicorne 2"