SILENT DANCE

Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Peace (6:30)
2. Earthsong (6:38)
3. Sunrise (4:07)
4. Return of Spring (4:53)
5. Cheyenne (5:59)
6. Brave New World (8:46)
7. Find Yourself (6:03)

- Marc Elton / violins, backing vocals, keyboards
- Mark Hawkins / bass, bass pedal
- Martin Wright / drums, percussion
- Sandy Leigh / lead vocals

LP Equinox-EQR 001 (1984)

CD Progressive Records (eg. Progressive International) PRO 013 / Brainworks BWKD 209 (1991) (only 7 Tracks)

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

SOLSTICE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SOLSTICE Silent Dance Music

Silent DanceSilent Dance
Progressive France 1993

More places to buy SOLSTICE music online Buy SOLSTICE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SOLSTICE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SOLSTICE Silent Dance ratings distribution

SOLSTICE Silent Dance reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars Excellent RENAISSANCE inspired band led by the distinctive vocals of Sandy Leigh who sounds somewhere in the Annie Haslam and Jon Anderson camp. SOLSTICE are excellent musicians with violin, deep bass lines, solid guitar and percussion interplay. "Silent Dance" emits real warm earthly tones and contains some highly memorable melodies and progressive moments. This is an excellent album that I have had in my collection for quite a while now and do frequently resurrect it to re-enjoy the music.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28739) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by lor68
2 stars What a pity for such a very weak production. Talking about this record, labeled under the former "Progressive records" in the course of year 1984 ,I have to admit that honestly it's characterized by some good arrangements as well as some prolix parts too. That was the period of the so called re-birth of such "Romantic Progressive Genre" in the UK, thanks to bands such as MARILLION, PENDRAGON, IQ, TWELFTH NIGHT and so on, whose results were often under our expectations. Otherwise some years later there was a failure, regarding of this attempt, but nevermind. However, coming back to the present publication, SOLSTICE produced an interesting album, in the vein of CURVED AIR, thanks to a female singer whose voice is very similar to that one by Jon ANDERSON (YES), with hints of such New-Progressive stuff, regarding of the electric guitar. The utilization of interesting strings and a violin as well from the synthesizers, let the listener enter an accessible pop folk, thanks also to some echoes from the Far East music and such Folk-Progressive stuff from Europe as well.

The best track is probably the instrumental "Return to Spring", which is very vivid, but also "A Brave New World" is worth checking out. The other tracks sometimes are boring and quite simplistic, in comparison for example to the best stuff of CURVED AIR and GRYPHON too, but perhaps by means of a better production the output would have brought a different mood and interest as well among the European "Progressive Fans".

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#28740) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 03, 2004

Review by horza
4 stars Thinking back,I realise now that I was very lucky to have seen some great bands in very small venues. Pallas,Marillion,Magnum and Solstice to name but a few. Solstice were truly wonderful. Sandy Leigh was a fastastic singer,very pure and tonally spectacular. This album was one of my favourites for a long time. I'm glad to say that I have recently been listening again,and it still gives me goosebumps. Put this album on and chill out with a friend and a nice glass of wine or whatever takes your fancy. An excellent addition to a proglovers collection.

Send comments to horza (BETA) | Report this review (#54741) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 05, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars This UK formation was founded in 1980, they toured a lot (many gigs in the famous London Marquee), performed on known festivals like Reading and Stonehenge and even played live in the BBC radio studio. Their debut album entitled Silence Dance (1984) was released in the heydays of the neo-prog, speerheaded by Marillion with IQ and Pendragon in their slipstream. Recently the record company has rereleased their entire back-catalogue, remastered and featuring lots of previously unreleased material. This reissue of Silent Dance contains 2-CD's.

Listening to the melodic and pleasant sound of Solstice, the folky elements are very obvious in often mellow climates with frequent use of the violin and acoustic guitar and lots of attention for the vocal parts. One singer often reminds me of Jon Anderson and the female singer evoked Annie Haslal (Renaissance), very beautiful. In the song Brave New World the band showcases their symphonic prog potentials in a very impressive way: interesting shifting moods, lush keyboards (including the distinctive string-ensemble), sensitive electric guitarplay, a nice synthesizer solo and those majestic Moog Taurus bass pedals, very compelling! I had loved to hear that symphonic prog side by Solstice more often, now it sounds a bit too folky for me (and many neo-progheads didn't know what to think about Solstice). CD-2 contains music from the three 'cassette releases' (two from 1982 and one from 1983), a demo tape from 1983 (song Sunrise) and a BBC concert entitled Friday Rock Show (1983). On the first cassette Solstice plays in a four piece line-up with an omnipresent violin (not unlike German prog band Hoelderlin, although that's a viola, haha) along some delicate guitar solos. The second cassette presents singer Sue Robinson with her Gaelic voice and on the third cassette we hear singer Sandy Leigh who also performed on the Silent Dance LP. To me the cassettes and demo tape no more or less than nice and especially interesting for the Solstice fans. Really interesting are the four songs of the Friday Rock Show concert, including the wonderful symphonic prog track The Sea, I don't understand why it was deleted for the album! The final composition is the funny country & western sounding Cannibalistic Legalis delivering sparkling violin and propulsive rhythm-guitar.

This 2-CD version is a good opportunity to discover Solstice their unique sound, especially if you like folk. My rating: 3,5 stars.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#145326) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars "You've got to find yourself before you look for anyone else!"

I must admit that I was not particularly impressed by this album when I first heard it, but I found myself playing it over and over until I realized that I actually enjoy it very much. The first thing that strikes you when you hear the first track is the similarity between the voice of the female lead vocalist Sandy Leigh and that of Jon Anderson. The latter has indeed a somewhat feminine quality to his voice and Leigh is clearly a singer in that style. There are several other Yes-similarities as well in the music of Solstice but they are not as evident as some people would make you believe. The similarities with Yes are perhaps most apparent on the first track of the album. Other bands that might come to mind while listening to Silent Dance are Renaissance, Mike Oldfield and perhaps Kansas. Like in Renaissance, the bass guitar is often (but not always) Chris Squire-like, but again like Renaissance, the sound of Solstice is a bit toned down compared to, and not as hard edged and "flashy" as, Yes or Kansas (it is more of a Turn Of The Century than a Sound Chaser if you catch my drift).

As might be expected from looking at the cover art picture and reading the lyrics and song titles, there is a certain New-Age sensibility in the approach of Solstice, sometimes reminding me of Oldfield's music. The sound of Silent Dance is never very aggressive or overly complex and some of the occasionally wordless vocals come across as chants. This is particularly noticeable on Cheyenne that features a chant that reminds me of the one provided by Steeleye Span's Maddy Prior to Mike Oldfield's Incantations album. The presence of violin and acoustic guitars also brings a slight but appealing Folk element to the mix and a somewhat jazzy element is also present, most evident on the closing track.

As Solstice is a British band formed in 1980 and listed here as Neo-Prog, it should perhaps be pointed out that they have sound-wise nothing to do with bands like IQ, Marillion, Pallas or other bands of that school. The sound of Solstice is more rooted in the classic Symphonic Prog of the 70's. Indeed, it is hard to believe that this album came out around the same time as Yes' 90125 and Renaissance' Time-Line and countless other albums by other classic Prog bands that were released around this time and are (often rightly) regarded as the worst albums of these bands. Unlike most albums from these the- worst-of-times for progressive Rock (and music in general), Silent Dance does not have that typical 80's sound. The sonic quality of the present album is high as is the quality of the actual songs. To have good material is, of course, the most important thing in all music, and the songs here are strong.

An excellent addition!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#277101) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 09, 2010

2 stars The opening minutes of this album reminds me alot about RENAISSANCE. Then the album takes off in a slightly different direction, but still within the same area as the above mentioned band. RENAISSANCE has obviously inspired a lot of bands, indirectly or directly. SOLSTICE is no difference. Bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#216452) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SOLSTICE "Silent Dance"