SOUNDS OF PASSION

Coda Sounds of Passion album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CODA Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Sounds of Passion: (29:06)
a) Prologue 2:16
b) 1st movement 7:10
c) 2nd movement 4:05
d) 3rd movement 5:35
e) 4th movement - Finale 10:00
2. Crazy fool and dreamer (4:25)
3. Defended (6:43)

Search CODA Sounds of Passion lyrics

Search CODA Sounds of Passion tabs

- Mark Eshuis / drums, xylophone, tympani
- Jacky van Tongeren / bass, backing vocals
- Erik de Vroomen / keyboards, bass pedals, percussion, backing vocals special effects
- Jack Witjes / lead vocals, guitars
+ Auke de Haan / alto sax
- Pip van Steen / flute, piccolo, recorder

LP Dureco Records 88.131 (1986) Netherlands
CD SI Music SIMPly 9 (1991) Netherlands
CD Si-Wan Records SRM 4001 (1993) South Korea

2CD Pseudonym Records CDP-1086 (30-11-2007) Netherlands
"21st Anniversary Edition" remastered in 24-Bit from original master-tapes
incl. Demos and CD-Single "Crazy Fool and Dreamer"

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

CODA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CODA Sounds of Passion Music

VEINTE PARA LAS DOCEVEINTE PARA LAS DOCE
BLOODY STREAMBLOODY STREAM
Warner Japan
DAVID ROACH running with the river LP 9 track (8341641) dutch coda 1987 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2h
Landscape Jazz(Vinyl LP)Night Music-Coda-834 163 1-UK-VG+/VG+ US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
GRUPO JOVENES DEL CAYO: Son-Boogie/Los Cocos Secos 10" Record LATIN - CODA US $9.99 [1 bids]
PEPITO ARVELO'S RUMBA BOYS: Roya de Luz /Sonando La Tuba 10" Record LATIN - CODA US $10.50 [5 bids]
INCANTATION music from the andes CODA 19 near mint disc uk 1985 LP PS EX/EX US $14.59 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Coda CD NEW La Historia DELUXE CD + DVD SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Coda - Veinte Para Las Doce (CD, 1995, Sony Music, Mexico)BRAND NEW STILL SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
MATT WEBB**CODA AND JACKET (EP)**CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 12h 43m
TOM NEWMAN Bayou Moon +insert booklet CODA 1986 FREE UK POST US $20.46 Buy It Now 13h 27m
LED ZEPPELIN Coda (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 39m
Lp LED ZEPPELIN ~CODA 1982 ~ SEALED! US $12.86 [5 bids]
"CODA" LED ZEPPELIN CASSETTE VG+ US $2.49 Buy It Now 15h 14m
LED ZEPPELIN - Coda US $9.99 [0 bids]
PRISTINE ARCHIVE COPY!! Japan original pressing with OBI!! Led Zeppelin "CODA" US $65.00 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin CODA cassette Swan Song 1982 Jimmy Page Plant Wearing And Tearing US $1.49 [0 bids]
Coda - Under Control (Remixes) - Decipher - 2002 #87806 US $4.85 Buy It Now 1 day
EDDIE HARDIN:DAWN 'TIL DUSK...1986 CODA LP - NEW AGE US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
RONDO Coda (CD) Melodic Hard Rock US $11.20 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN-CODA-RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1st PRESS LP 1983-GATEFOLD EX/NM/NM- US $26.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin - Coda - Cassette A 0051-4 (1982) US $3.25 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin LP Coda 1982 NM Gatefold Orig! I Can't Quit You Baby US $9.99 [0 bids]
Original 1985 INCANTATION Music From The Andes LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" CODA 19 US $1.98 Buy It Now 1 day
COLPO DI CODA (TV SOUNDTRACK) 1993 Import CD 17 Trax - Music by Pino Donaggio US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN / CODA LP Gatefold w/OBI Insert Jimmy Page Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Coda - La Chasse / Holy City - Exceptional #192979 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin - CODA - JAPANESE MINI LP CD OOP (Robert Plant- Celebration Day) US $16.15 [0 bids]
Fat Coda - The Absconded EP - Melt 6 - 1998 #159017 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin 12 Lp Vinyl Albums Lot Zepplin I II 3 IV Physical Graffiti 1st-Coda US $330.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CODA-SOUNDS OF PASSION-JAPAN MINI LP 2CDs Ii98 zd US $51.50 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN Coda LP Original USA Swan Song 790 051-1 1982 Gatefold+Inner NM- US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Listen - SUNSCREEM - Coda 2001 Progressive Trance 12" Lee Coombs / Kloq US $3.25 [0 bids]
Coda by Led Zeppelin (CD, May-2003, Atlantic (Label)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
CODA LED ZEPPELIN SWAN SONG 79 00511 CANADA GATEFOLD STILL SEALED US $25.00 [1 bids]
Coda by Led Zeppelin (CD, Aug-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.49 [0 bids]
(CH559) Kid Coda, Keep The Belief - 2007 DJ CD US $3.23 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA (CD ) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CODA - Capitol 3844 - Shortage - SOUL DANCE DJ 45 US $5.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin -"Coda" Japan mini lp cd US $19.00 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA - VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM - SWAN SONG 90051 US $4.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN NEAR MINT ORIGINAL CASSETTE LOT IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR / CODA US $14.97 Buy It Now 1 day
* A.S.A.P. lonely room YUMI ARAI CODA-38 JAPAN 3 INCH Single CD 047 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Tercer Acto-Eternidad De Un Instante RARE CD AOR old Bon Jovi Coda Toto Style US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MORRISSEY MULLEN with you/meantime CODS 11 T uk coda 1985 12" WS EX/ US $19.04 Buy It Now 2 days
FRUGIVORES new age songs 832 358-1 coda 1987 LP PS EX/EX US $14.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Coda - There Is A Way To Fly (CD 2003) US $1.61 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA (1982 Original Vinyl LP) Swan Song 90051-1 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN CODA CLASSIC RECORDS 200 GRAM VINYL LP PAGE PLANT SEALED RARE OOP!! US $89.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID ROACH running with the river LP 9 track (coda6) uk coda 1984 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID ROACH talking city LP 9 track (coda14) uk coda 1984 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
DICK MORRISSEY after dark LP 8 track (coda2) uk coda 1983 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
STANDING STONES - A NEW AGE COMPILATION - CD - CODA - RARE FRANCE US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin Swan Song 90051-1 Coda US $12.99 [0 bids]
Coda [Remaster] - Led Zeppelin (Cassette 1994) US $2.00 Buy It Now 2 days
EDDIE HARDIN dawn til dusk LP 10 track still sealed (nage9) uk coda 1986 US $11.98 Buy It Now 2 days
1982 Led Zeppelin ?- Coda LP Swan Song ?- 7 90051-1 Gatefold EX/EX US $26.25 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin, Coda. 200 Gram 33rpm Sealed Vinyl LP "Classic Records" US $129.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN CODA JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT RARE WPCR-13141 US $47.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Coda-Sounds of Passion Dutch prog 2 cds many bonus tracks US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN~CODA~ ORIGINAL PRESS ~SWAN SONG 7 90051-1 US $39.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA ULTRA RARE TEST PRESSING SIDE B2 ONLY US $75.00 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN 10 LP Record LOT I II III CODA Presence Houses Of The Holy + MORE! US $63.00 [12 bids]
Led Zeppelin coda Cassette US $2.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin Coda vinyl LP album record Japanese 16P1-2030 SWAN SONG 1988 US $79.47 Buy It Now 2 days
INCANTATION dance of the flames LP 10 track (coda26) uk coda 0 US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA - CD- FREE POST US $9.92 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin CODA Cassette US $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
"MIST ON THE RIDGE"~UK Coda LP 1986~NAGE 1000~Wakeman~Hamill~Themis~NEW AGE US $11.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Latin music Coda Record Co. 78 rpm record 5070 - "Corcovado" & "Urca" US $5.99 [0 bids]
Tony Chiroldy 10" 78 RPM #5126 CODA; Noche y Dia & Como Le Doy Mambo Plays well US $12.49 [0 bids]
Estrellas Del Ritmo 10" 78 RPM #5073 CODA; San Juan, P.R.; Guatamala Plays well US $14.49 [0 bids]
Michael Bruno 78 RPM #5072 CODA; 56 East 56 & Every Day; Plays well; no skips US $6.49 [0 bids]
* LED ZEPPELIN - CODA US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Carlos Varela's Havana Madrid Orch. Latin 78rpm Coda #5028 Carioca (rumba) US $19.99 [0 bids]
ESTRELLAS DEL RITMO Boca Chica Costa Rica on CODA 5094 Rhumba 78 US $6.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA 1997 JAPAN MINI LP CD 1st ISSUE US $32.45 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin: Coda ~ cassette tape ~ 2b US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Lot of 3 LedLed Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Coda & Presence REDUCED US $17.99 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin Coda Vinyl LP + Inner Sleeve - EX US $43.82 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin - Coda Japan Import Mini LP Sleeve CD #WPCR-11622 PROMO US $31.45 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin - Coda (1994) - Used - Compact Disc Brazil Release US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Broken Promises by Rusty Truck (CD, Sep-2003, Coda Terra Entertainment, Inc.) US $1.20 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN 33t vinyl CODA US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
COLPO DI CODA (TWIST) - Original Import CD Soundtrack - PINO DONAGGIO - NM US $5.00 [0 bids]
JOHN THEMIS ENGLISH RENAISSANCE 1987 LP CODA RECORDS 832045 1ST PRESS NEAR MINT US $8.10 Buy It Now 3 days
TOM NEWMAN ASPECTS 1986 LP CODA RECORDS NAGE7 DMM WITH BOOKLET NEAR MINT VINYL US $8.10 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda b on Cassette Tape US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda a on Cassette Tape US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin LP CODA 1982 NM/EX US $19.95 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA ORIGINAL LP STILL FACTORY SEALED! 1982 US $249.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DASHIELL RAE 1986 NEW AGE LP ON CODA " SONGS WITHOUT WORDS " MINT US $4.06 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda RARE US Orig PROMO Copy Swan Song VERY Nice Copy!! Jimmy Page US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
+ CHIODOS Bone Palace Ballet | Grand Coda CD excellent condition US $8.31 Buy It Now 3 days
Stephen Caudel - Wine Dark Sea (CD, Coda, UK Import) disc mint US $17.95 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN Coda EX SWAN SONG Original RECORD CLUB LP US $29.95 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda GERMAN 1982 SWANSONG ORIGINAL with INNER Cleaned US $27.58 Buy It Now 4 days
Night Music Landscape Jazz CD on Coda (1987) Made In W Germany US $8.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Coda - Led Zeppelin 01359695 US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LED ZEPPELIN (Two MINT Vintage albums- 3 LPs) CODA and The Song Remains The Same US $65.00 [0 bids]
CODA "BELIEVE" CD 2008 CAPETOWN SOUTH AFRICA-SOUL AFROBEAT FUSION-OUTSTANDING!!! US $5.99 [0 bids]
TOM NEWMAN Bayou Moon LP OOP mid-80's Coda new age US $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy CODA music online Buy CODA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CODA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CODA Sounds of Passion ratings distribution

CODA Sounds of Passion reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars Orchestral symphonic prog from The Netherlands delivering a highly involved concept album of great beauty. In many ways "Sounds Of Passion" is a really a sonic meditation in itself and comes across as a daydream - like symphony. Lead conductor and arcetect Erik de Vroomen plays a wide range of instruments including Grand Piano, synths, Hammond Organ, Pipe Organ, Novatron, Clavinet , Moog Taurus Bass Pedals to name a few. Erik is joined by a few other session musicians who add solid bass, guitar and drums throughout. Epic title track runs for 29 mins and is the center piece of the album. Overall "Sounds Of Passion" is a highly involved and dramatic piece of symphonic progressive rock.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28820) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars I am overwhelmed by nostalgic memories while reading the infomation booklet of this special edition 2-CD set. Some of the persons who are mentioned I knew personally in those days like Peter Van Der Laan (narrator in Prologue and in the late Seventies the #1 Dutch symphomaniac, he introduced me to the Prog Andaluz by playing LP's from Triana ) and Ton Strik, author of the Coda story, I knew him from the Sym-Info magazine and he also traded in 'rare live records'. And in the Nineties I interviewed keyboardplayer Erik De Vroomen because of a 'vintage keyboard special', what an unique personality! Thanks to Wim Van Putten his "LP And CD Show" (broadcasted on the national Dutch radio, its was very popular among Dutch progheads), in which Ton Strik delivered demo-tapes of Sounds Of Passion, a Dutch record company invited Coda to record Sounds Of Passion and in 1986 the LP was released. The first two pressings were sold out very soon and in 1996 the LP was re-released as a CD in 1996 by SI Music, in the same year labels in Holland (Transmission), in Korea and Japan also released Sounds Of Passion as a CD reissue. And late 2007 the Dutch label Pseudonym (same owner as Transmission) has decided to present Sounds Of Passion as a luxurous 2-CD set, including a very informative booklet with lots of pictures and interesting facts.

This '21st Anniversary Edition' contains two CD's: Chapter 1 - Sounds Of Passion: The Album and Chapter 2 - Sounds Of Passion: The Demos.

I was pleasantly surprised while listening to the titletrack of Sounds Of Passion for the first time in 15 years, in my memory it sounded "no more or less than nice" but I have to say that the music is on a very decent level, no Kayak or Finch but Coda has succeeded to sound quite original and I am delighted about the lush vintage keyboard sound and the varied climates. The titletrack (five parts, recorded in 1983) starts with Prologue featuring a bit pathetic vocal contribution by Peter Van Der Laan. Every of the four following parts contains its unique musical climate: wonderful vintage keyboards (like Hammond, clavinet and Grand piano) and fiery guitar runs in 1st Movement, a mellow mix of percussion and keyboards (beautiful Mellotron sounds) and pleasant guitar with volume pedal (like Steve Hackett) in 2nd Movement, sparkling flute and Grand piano and lush symphonic prog elements like the Moog Taurus bass pedals and choir-Mellotron in 3rd Movement and a splendid grand finale in the 24-carat symphonic prog tradition in 4th Movement: first a choir and church-organ, then a slow rhythm with howling guitar , followed by wonderful interplay between vintage keyboards (from Mellotron to church-organ) and delicate guitarwork, a great final part and Coda at its best! Listening to Chapter 2 I got impressed by the early demo version of the titletrack, to me it even sounds more exciting and compelling than the studio version, an excellent extra on this 2-CD set! The other 7 bonustracks (strong guitar and keyboards in True Melody) are also recorded in 1983, including What A Symphony Part 1 (intense violin-Mellotron like early King Crimson) and Part 2 (I love those Mellotrons and Moog Taurus bass pedals), tracks that appeared on the CD What A Symphony in 1996, the eagerly awaited successor of Sounds Of Passion. I have to admit that while listening to this 2-CD set I have underrated the album Sounds Of Passion since its release in 1986, 21 years later my conclusion is that it fully deserves a part in Dutch progrock history, well done fellow Dutchmen!

During my 3 weeks break on Prog Archives I have decided to leave Prog Archives so this is my final review. The main reason is that I cannot motivate myself any longer on a site that turned from a genuine progressive rock site into a kind of Pandora's Box of prog music and prog-related bands. I would like to thank you for your kind words about my reviews and for your enthousiastic posts in my threads, good luck fellow symphomaniacs!

My rating: CD-1 3 stars, CD-2 3,5 stars.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#160074) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This debut album from dutch band Coda has a reputation for being a classical piece of work, and the band sadly underrated.

Coming across this CD now in 2008 makes that a bit hard to understand though. The guy handling keyboards obviously knows his classical music, arrangements and use of instruments has a strong symphonic tinge to them; and the bass player here knows his jazz; and there's lots of interesting soundscapes and sonic textures woven in the main tune as well as the two shorter tracks following. The main problem I have when listening to this stuff now is that often the music isn't going somewhere, some good segments here, others there, but they are not placed within a context that leads to anywhere, instead of evolving or developing I feel that as a listener I'm picked up and dropped down to individual scenes rather than taken on a musical journey.

Coda is a talented band, and I can understand why this album had a major impact in 1986. But 20 years later the album's shortcomings are more easily defined - and the lack of cohesiveness in particular is a weakness for me. Still, fans of 80's neoprog in particular will find this release to be a very good addition to their collection; others should check this one out before buying.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#171103) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 15, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Well, seeing 4 collab reviews so far makes me wonder. Will I be different and will I give 4 stars (I don't think I'll give 2 stars), or will I rate in the same way as previous reviewers did ?

Starting weirdly with prologue that's not to be enjoyed, but just listened. It's introduction, nothing more. However, what continues is decent at least. 2nd Movement actually reminds me The Enid a lot with its Classical music influenced compositions. Some gothical (possibly) sounds in beginning ofFinale, it all sounds quite like a bunch of completely different songs mixed together in big symphonic cauldron. It's a mess, but these songs alone can stand. Return to synth heaven till the end.

The rest of songs are again, unbalanced impression. Crazy Fool and Dreamer is a great piece, while Defended is ballad with synths and some average soloing. Which means good, but not perfect.

Anyway, it makes this album to something like

4(-), and I can assure you, my emotions are mixed as well. I feel good about it, but there's something bad about this album.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#322985) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Holland's Coda made an impact with their debut album of 1986 'Sounds of Passion'. It was a year when prog was struggling so Coda defied critics by releasing a purely ambient album that is mostly instrumental. The epic title track is a 4 movement piece that begins with a daft narrative voice but then it moves into the beautiful emotional music. I am not really into ambient instrumental prog like this but it has its place. It reminds me of The Enid at times.

There is an emphasis on flute and keyboards. In places a vocalisation is heard that could have been left out. Singing is better than vocalising sounds I believe. It feels a bit dated these days but the music still is entrancing. The alto sax is wonderful and often the guitars are spacey. Vangelis springs to mind or Mike Oldfield occasionally.

Towards the last movement, the finale there is a deep resonating pipe organ giving a cathedral atmosphere. The monks chanting augment the effect of some religious ceremony. The guitars to follow sound out a repetitive motif and it eventually launches in to a Gilmour like solo and a blistering keyboard solo, the best part of the whole album. At the end there are effects of glass breaking, screams and voices. The other tracks are more of the same, melodic instrumentals with a focus on ambience and lengthy keyboard passages with layers of guitar. 'Sounds of Passion' is a good debut for sure, worth a listen.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#452163) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
3 stars Far above the average should receive 3.5 stars

Last week I was checking the bands from the Symphonic list and found CODA, for what I read, they didn't seem to belong in Symphonic, so I managed to buy an expensive copy of the 25th Anniversary Edition of "Sounds of Passion" to have a better opinion.....Now I can say that in my opinion they don't belong in Symphonic Prog, at least totally.

The album is a blend of Symphonic (some good moments), Ambient music and a bit of New Age, that clearly proves us that we are before a Crossover band rather than a Symphonic one, but this is a decision we have to take as a team and the issue is under study. In this moment I will forget classifications and simply review the album.

1.- The album starts with the "Sounds of Passion Suite that is divided in 6 parts:

a) Prologue: What a waste of space, a 2:17 minutes of boring narration (some will say poetry, I wont) after some wind effects, I recommend to press the skip button.

b) First Movement: starts with an interesting intro (A it long in my opinion) that blends YES influences with a couple of breathtaking Mellotron sections, and then a dramatic change, the band releases all their artillery with a fluid instrumental section that by parts reminds me of "Six Wives of Henry the VIII" by RICK WAKEMAN, despite a few uneven moments, I believe it's a very good start if we omit the insipid "Prologue"

c) Second Movement: At this point. CODA enters more into New Age /Ambient territory, the music is repetitive and even boring. Doesn't matter how much Erik de Vroomen tries to create emotional moments with keyboard and piano, they never manage to capture the audience.

d) Third Movement: The bird chirping and soft spacey flute make me doubt a radical change from the less than average previous track, it's clear that de Vroomen and Pip van Steen are terrific pianist and flutist, but the composition is weak and no matter how hard they try the music never "takes off". Around the 3:10 minutes a strong drum explosion gives me some hopes, but it's a mirage, they fall again into the Ambient territory with a distant FOCUS resemblance that boosts the ending a bit with a Jack Witjes interesting guitar solo

e) Fourth Movement - Finale: Begins with a Gregorian Chant section which's majesty is diminished by some annoying keyboard sounds in the vein of Vangelis, after an explosion, a pompous and passionate Baroque organ makes it's appearance (for those Progheads like me that love excesses is a gift), and then develops into a soft but interesting instrumental section with a heavy distorted guitar in the background, now they remind me a bit of Gilmour.

The ret of the track is full of surprises, radical changes and phenomenal performances by all the band members, simply delightful, they left the best music for the last Movement of the "Sounds of Passion" suite, this sole section pays the whole album.

2.- Crazy Fool and Dreamer: After the instrumental "Suite" (Well, except for the chants), it's the tie to add the vocals by Jack Witjes, who in the style of JOHN WETTON does a very decent job, even when a bit soulless for the good music of the song. Again Erik de Vroomen adds excellent piano and organ, but I would be unfair if I didn't say the whole band is in a great level,....This is pure Symphonic with a frantic but at the same time breathtaking finale. The best song of the album by far.

3.- Defended: The last song of the album begins with a short operatic instant and without preambles then enter directly to the central section with decent vocals and better choirs, this time they leave the Symphonic real to cross into some sort of lighter PINK FLOYD Space Rock, again they hit the nail in the head......The final section made me jump of my seat, but won't reveal the secret to avoid ruining the experience

Still don't believe this album is pure Symphonic and I insist they should be moved to Crossover, but hey, this guys really know their business.

When the album started I was going to rate it with 2 stars, but now I believe that anything bellow 3.5 with be unfair, but our system doesn't allow this, so not without sadness, will have to go with 3 stars, even when I'm sure this very good (but slightly uneven) album deserves something more.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#452427) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 26, 2011

3 stars The start of the twenty-nine minutes long opus Sounds of Passion is not promising. The silly voice effects does not do anything for me. But the music then starts and slowly builds up. The orchestral music is meditation like in the beginning before it kicks off with some good keyboards and t ... (read more)

Report this review (#203978) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Sunday, February 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Classic Dutch eighties album! Because it is not very well known, I thought I might just as well add a review. The original LP consisted of just one epic track, which is completely instrumental (okay, apart from some introductory spoken -word poetry at the start of the album, Gregorian chants som ... (read more)

Report this review (#190652) | Posted by Moogtron III | Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Why 5 stars ? First we must look to Progre history . The year is 1985, a time when who was producing progre music could be considered a hero. Let´s put CODA and other out of mainstream progre at their right honored place ! Yeah, if you lived the eighties loving progre, you know what I mean. Comm ... (read more)

Report this review (#181888) | Posted by Prog_Veteran | Saturday, September 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CODA "Sounds of Passion"