SOUNDS OF PASSION

Coda Sounds of Passion album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CODA Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Sounds of Passion: (29:06)
a) Prologue 2:16
b) 1st movement 7:10
c) 2nd movement 4:05
d) 3rd movement 5:35
e) 4th movement - Finale 10:00
2. Crazy fool and dreamer (4:25)
3. Defended (6:43)

Search CODA Sounds of Passion lyrics

Search CODA Sounds of Passion tabs

- Mark Eshuis / drums, xylophone, tympani
- Jacky van Tongeren / bass, backing vocals
- Erik de Vroomen / keyboards, bass pedals, percussion, backing vocals special effects
- Jack Witjes / lead vocals, guitars
+ Auke de Haan / alto sax
- Pip van Steen / flute, piccolo, recorder

LP Dureco Records 88.131 (1986) Netherlands
CD SI Music SIMPly 9 (1991) Netherlands
CD Si-Wan Records SRM 4001 (1993) South Korea

2CD Pseudonym Records CDP-1086 (30-11-2007) Netherlands
"21st Anniversary Edition" remastered in 24-Bit from original master-tapes
incl. Demos and CD-Single "Crazy Fool and Dreamer"

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

CODA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CODA Sounds of Passion Music

VEINTE PARA LAS DOCEVEINTE PARA LAS DOCE
Coda / La Chasse / Holy CityCoda / La Chasse / Holy City
Exceptional
Vinyl$8.34 (used)
BLOODY STREAMBLOODY STREAM
Warner Japan
Coda by Led Zeppelin CD classic rock final album Remastered Edition Darlene NEW! US $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 5m
RYUICHI SAKAMOTO YMO / CODA LP w/OBI Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence JAPAN US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Led Zeppelin - Coda 1982 Japan SHM cd OBI Jimmy Page Robert Plant Band of Joy US $35.90 Buy It Now 8h 29m
LED ZEPPELIN / CODA US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Led Zeppelin - Coda [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 4m
LED ZEPPELIN CODA / WITH GIANT STICKER US $199.99 Buy It Now 14h 11m
CODA~FOR EVER & EVER~UK 7" TEST PRESSING + PROMO PHOTO US $5.93 Buy It Now 14h 31m
EP MOLOTOV.- SINTITOLO (CODA CUEVO AFK AGORA PANDA ZOE CAIFANES) US $15.00 Buy It Now 16h 22m
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA - SWAN SONG - A0051 US $7.12 [2 bids]
The Plain and Simple Truth by Andy King (CD, Feb-2005, coda studios/kingquest... US $13.95 Buy It Now 17h 14m
LED ZEPPELIN: Coda ~ NR MINT UK 1st PRESS LP ~ A2/B MATRIX ~ G/F SLEEVE + INNER US $169.44 Buy It Now 19h 7m
45 CLAIRE HAMILL DOMESDAY CODA CODS 21P PROMO COPY VG++ US $1.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA Mini LP Gatefold CD German Pressing US $11.85 Buy It Now 20h 30m
(CD) LED ZEPPELIN - Coda / Japan / 20P2-2030 / Warner-Pioneer US $35.00 Buy It Now 21h 56m
45 RPM - ESTRELLAS DEL RITMO "GUATEMALA/SAN JUAN P.R " ON CODA REC. US $25.00 Buy It Now 23h 48m
Led Zeppelin Vinyl Album Lp Lot Zepplin I II 3 IV Physical Graffiti 1?Coda +LIVE US $410.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN CRITCHINSON Summer Afternoon CD japan 1985 canyon rec / coda D32Y0032 US $175.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN Japan 1982 NM LP CODA US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN Japan 1982 NM LP+Obi NM LP CODA US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA - ALBUM LP VINYL RECORD 90051-1 NM- US $20.50 [13 bids]
Stephen Caudel - Wine Dark Sea (CD, Coda, UK Import) disc mint US $17.95 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin CODA cassette Swan Song 1982 Jimmy Page Plant Wearing And Tearing US $0.99 [0 bids]
Lot 3 Led Zeppelin LP vinyl coda, house of the holy, led zeppelin sd 19126 US $40.00 [0 bids]
Coda Veinte Para Las Doce CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA REMASTERED CD NEW US $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
CODA CD CALLING MISSION MU 2006 W/BOOKLET US $5.07 Buy It Now 1 day
LED APPLE - Coda Single Album CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.40 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA 200 Gram Audiophile Sealed LP + bonus SONG REMAINS SAME BOX US $220.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin - Coda (NEW CD) US $11.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin " CODA " CD US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA 1982 GERMAN PRESSING + INNER EXC US $30.48 [0 bids]
ESTRELLAS DEL RITMO Boca Chica Costa Rica on CODA 5094 Rhumba 78 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin CODA 1st Press USA 1982 Gatefold Vinyl LP 90051-1 Swan Song Rock US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN / CODA / CASSETTE TAPE / SWAN SONG 1982 / FOLD OUT PICTURE INLAY US $12.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Claire Hamill - Voices CODA RECORDS NAGE 8CD 1998, Album, New Age US $6.76 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA CASSETTE 1982 ATLANTIC 90051-4 *TESTED* US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN CODA SEALED CD NEW US $5.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Eddie Hardin - Dawn 'till Dusk / 1986 Coda NICE Vinyl US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Broken Promises by Rusty Truck (CD, Sep-2003, Coda Terra Entertainment, Inc.) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin CODA Exc. Con!! LP Album Vinyl (21) Mirror Finish!! US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin Coda USA Cassette Tape US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Blue Coda - Shades Of Cool [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin: "CODA" 1st Ed. US 1982 Gatefold Vinyl Promo 90051-1 US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN: Coda LP SWAN SONG RECORDS 7900511 US 1982 GATEFOLD NM US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LED ZEPPELIN Coda c on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Led Zeppelin CODA Vinyl LP Record in Film US $23.00 [0 bids]
Colpo Di Coda Twist (1993) Soundtrack by Pino Donaggio Import CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LATIN : TRIO LOS PANCHOS ON CODA 78 5012 US $7.99 [0 bids]
National Health - D.S Al Coda ( LP - US - 1982 - VG++ ) US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LATIN : ORQUESTA TIPICA DE RAMON LITTEE ON CODA 78 5036 US $7.99 [0 bids]
LATIN : NORO MORALES SEXTET ON CODA 78 5074 US $7.99 [0 bids]
LATIN : CLEMENTE'S MEXICAN MARIMBA ON CODA 78 5114 US $7.99 [0 bids]
CD ABRIL.- IV (MEXICAN METAL BAND) CODA TERCER ACTO LUZBEL RAXAS ARGUS CUEVO AFK US $18.50 Buy It Now 2 days
LATIN : ORQUESTA TIPICA DE RAMON LITTEE ON CODA 78 5033 US $7.99 [0 bids]
LATIN : NORO MORALES SEXTET ON CODA 78 5001 US $7.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN lot of 12 different cassettes I II III ZOSO coda HOUSES OF THE HOLY US $39.99 [0 bids]
7 LP Lot Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti, Coda, In Through, II,IV, Pres, Houses ! US $57.65 [5 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin ?- Coda CD 7 90051-2 ROCK US $3.00 [1 bids]
JOHN CRITCHINSON new night CODA 9 A1/B1 1st press uk coda 1984 LP PS EX/EX US $31.91 Buy It Now 2 days
PIZZICATO FIVE lot of 3 sg 3" CD JAPAN Promo CODA-1164 1388 1585 Free Shipping! US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin CODA 8 Trk Cassette Album US $11.84 Buy It Now 2 days
LED ZEPPELIN 1 CODA PSYCH ROCK TURKISH PRESSING LP VG++ RARE TURKEY US $42.35 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA CLASSIC RECORDS LIMITED 200 Gram Audiophile Sealed LP + bonus US $199.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Carlos Varela's Havana Madrid Orch. Latin 78rpm Coda #5028 Carioca (rumba) US $19.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN ~ CODA Remastered Nikitin Russia CD GOLD OBI NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MORRISSEY MULLEN happy hour 1988 UK CODA LANDSCAPE JAZZ STEREO LAST STUDIO LP US $33.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Rock Sealed LP LED ZEPPELIN Coda on Swan Song US $80.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Led Zeppelin Coda German Cassette Tape US $3.60 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN "NM WAX" Coda 1982 Japan Jimmy Page Robert Plant OBI LP B3016 US $79.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Coda by Led Zeppelin (Cassette, 1982, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
DASHIELL RAE 1986 NEW AGE LP ON CODA " SONGS WITHOUT WORDS " MINT US $4.22 Buy It Now 3 days
Latin music Coda Record Co. 78 rpm record 5070 - "Corcovado" & "Urca" US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN Coda LP SWAN SONG 90051-1 *SEALED* 1982 GATEFOLD US $63.00 Buy It Now 3 days
FALSE CODA - Closer To The Edge Fates Warning,Symphony X,Dream Theater,Threshold US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin - Coda JAPAN LP with LYRIC SHEET and INNER US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Viaggiatore Sulla Coda del Tempo by Claudio Baglioni (CD, Jul-2011, Sony... US $4.99 [0 bids]
John Themis Atmospheric Conditions UK vinyl LP album record NAGE1 CODA 1985 US $32.11 Buy It Now 3 days
National Health - D.S. al Coda CD mini LP 2006 Japan ARC-7145 VERY RARE OOP!!!!! US $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN CODA SEALED USA GATEFOLD LP 1982 US $48.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA SWAN SONG JAPAN US $18.45 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN - CODA - RARE ORIGINAL 1ST PRESSING GATEFOLD / EMBOSSED COVER ED1 US $152.51 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin - CODA Lp Rare Icelandic pressing 1982 NM Iceland US $49.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DICK MORRISSEY Souliloquy LP Coda EX/EX US $7.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Korngold,E.W. - Sursum Coda [CD New] US $12.60 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN CODA CASSETTE US $35.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN CODA 1983 LP PICTURE & LYRIC W/INSERT G/F NM US $14.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CODA BLUE COVER & DIFF LABEL LP US $14.99 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN-CODA-1982-USA-ATLANTIC REC. A2 90051 MATRIX: SRC+06-CD-CRC-MINT- US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN-CODA STILL SEALED US $49.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LP Record - Led Zeppelin - CODA - Rare US $74.99 [0 bids]
CD CODA.- 9 MEXICAN HARD ROCK BAND US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD QBO.- III (MEXICAN METAL BAND) CODA TERCER ACTO COMA AFK CUEVO US $18.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin CODA LP Gatefold 1st 1982 US release Swan Song 7 90051-1 EX/EX US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin - Coda 79 0051-1 German LP 1982 Swan Song US $1.68 [1 bids]
Led Zeppelin Coda cassette tape Swan Song US $4.50 Buy It Now 3 days
LED ZEPPELIN LP CODA - SS 90051-1 - SUPER NICE COPY US $8.50 [8 bids]
Led Zeppelin, Coda. 200 Gram 33rpm Sealed Vinyl LP "Classic Records" OOP! US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy CODA music online Buy CODA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CODA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CODA Sounds of Passion ratings distribution

CODA Sounds of Passion reviews

Review by loserboy
3 stars Orchestral symphonic prog from The Netherlands delivering a highly involved concept album of great beauty. In many ways "Sounds Of Passion" is a really a sonic meditation in itself and comes across as a daydream - like symphony. Lead conductor and arcetect Erik de Vroomen plays a wide range of instruments including Grand Piano, synths, Hammond Organ, Pipe Organ, Novatron, Clavinet , Moog Taurus Bass Pedals to name a few. Erik is joined by a few other session musicians who add solid bass, guitar and drums throughout. Epic title track runs for 29 mins and is the center piece of the album. Overall "Sounds Of Passion" is a highly involved and dramatic piece of symphonic progressive rock.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#28820) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars I am overwhelmed by nostalgic memories while reading the infomation booklet of this special edition 2-CD set. Some of the persons who are mentioned I knew personally in those days like Peter Van Der Laan (narrator in Prologue and in the late Seventies the #1 Dutch symphomaniac, he introduced me to the Prog Andaluz by playing LP's from Triana ) and Ton Strik, author of the Coda story, I knew him from the Sym-Info magazine and he also traded in 'rare live records'. And in the Nineties I interviewed keyboardplayer Erik De Vroomen because of a 'vintage keyboard special', what an unique personality! Thanks to Wim Van Putten his "LP And CD Show" (broadcasted on the national Dutch radio, its was very popular among Dutch progheads), in which Ton Strik delivered demo-tapes of Sounds Of Passion, a Dutch record company invited Coda to record Sounds Of Passion and in 1986 the LP was released. The first two pressings were sold out very soon and in 1996 the LP was re-released as a CD in 1996 by SI Music, in the same year labels in Holland (Transmission), in Korea and Japan also released Sounds Of Passion as a CD reissue. And late 2007 the Dutch label Pseudonym (same owner as Transmission) has decided to present Sounds Of Passion as a luxurous 2-CD set, including a very informative booklet with lots of pictures and interesting facts.

This '21st Anniversary Edition' contains two CD's: Chapter 1 - Sounds Of Passion: The Album and Chapter 2 - Sounds Of Passion: The Demos.

I was pleasantly surprised while listening to the titletrack of Sounds Of Passion for the first time in 15 years, in my memory it sounded "no more or less than nice" but I have to say that the music is on a very decent level, no Kayak or Finch but Coda has succeeded to sound quite original and I am delighted about the lush vintage keyboard sound and the varied climates. The titletrack (five parts, recorded in 1983) starts with Prologue featuring a bit pathetic vocal contribution by Peter Van Der Laan. Every of the four following parts contains its unique musical climate: wonderful vintage keyboards (like Hammond, clavinet and Grand piano) and fiery guitar runs in 1st Movement, a mellow mix of percussion and keyboards (beautiful Mellotron sounds) and pleasant guitar with volume pedal (like Steve Hackett) in 2nd Movement, sparkling flute and Grand piano and lush symphonic prog elements like the Moog Taurus bass pedals and choir-Mellotron in 3rd Movement and a splendid grand finale in the 24-carat symphonic prog tradition in 4th Movement: first a choir and church-organ, then a slow rhythm with howling guitar , followed by wonderful interplay between vintage keyboards (from Mellotron to church-organ) and delicate guitarwork, a great final part and Coda at its best! Listening to Chapter 2 I got impressed by the early demo version of the titletrack, to me it even sounds more exciting and compelling than the studio version, an excellent extra on this 2-CD set! The other 7 bonustracks (strong guitar and keyboards in True Melody) are also recorded in 1983, including What A Symphony Part 1 (intense violin-Mellotron like early King Crimson) and Part 2 (I love those Mellotrons and Moog Taurus bass pedals), tracks that appeared on the CD What A Symphony in 1996, the eagerly awaited successor of Sounds Of Passion. I have to admit that while listening to this 2-CD set I have underrated the album Sounds Of Passion since its release in 1986, 21 years later my conclusion is that it fully deserves a part in Dutch progrock history, well done fellow Dutchmen!

During my 3 weeks break on Prog Archives I have decided to leave Prog Archives so this is my final review. The main reason is that I cannot motivate myself any longer on a site that turned from a genuine progressive rock site into a kind of Pandora's Box of prog music and prog-related bands. I would like to thank you for your kind words about my reviews and for your enthousiastic posts in my threads, good luck fellow symphomaniacs!

My rating: CD-1 3 stars, CD-2 3,5 stars.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#160074) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This debut album from dutch band Coda has a reputation for being a classical piece of work, and the band sadly underrated.

Coming across this CD now in 2008 makes that a bit hard to understand though. The guy handling keyboards obviously knows his classical music, arrangements and use of instruments has a strong symphonic tinge to them; and the bass player here knows his jazz; and there's lots of interesting soundscapes and sonic textures woven in the main tune as well as the two shorter tracks following. The main problem I have when listening to this stuff now is that often the music isn't going somewhere, some good segments here, others there, but they are not placed within a context that leads to anywhere, instead of evolving or developing I feel that as a listener I'm picked up and dropped down to individual scenes rather than taken on a musical journey.

Coda is a talented band, and I can understand why this album had a major impact in 1986. But 20 years later the album's shortcomings are more easily defined - and the lack of cohesiveness in particular is a weakness for me. Still, fans of 80's neoprog in particular will find this release to be a very good addition to their collection; others should check this one out before buying.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#171103) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 15, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Well, seeing 4 collab reviews so far makes me wonder. Will I be different and will I give 4 stars (I don't think I'll give 2 stars), or will I rate in the same way as previous reviewers did ?

Starting weirdly with prologue that's not to be enjoyed, but just listened. It's introduction, nothing more. However, what continues is decent at least. 2nd Movement actually reminds me The Enid a lot with its Classical music influenced compositions. Some gothical (possibly) sounds in beginning ofFinale, it all sounds quite like a bunch of completely different songs mixed together in big symphonic cauldron. It's a mess, but these songs alone can stand. Return to synth heaven till the end.

The rest of songs are again, unbalanced impression. Crazy Fool and Dreamer is a great piece, while Defended is ballad with synths and some average soloing. Which means good, but not perfect.

Anyway, it makes this album to something like

4(-), and I can assure you, my emotions are mixed as well. I feel good about it, but there's something bad about this album.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#322985) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Holland's Coda made an impact with their debut album of 1986 'Sounds of Passion'. It was a year when prog was struggling so Coda defied critics by releasing a purely ambient album that is mostly instrumental. The epic title track is a 4 movement piece that begins with a daft narrative voice but then it moves into the beautiful emotional music. I am not really into ambient instrumental prog like this but it has its place. It reminds me of The Enid at times.

There is an emphasis on flute and keyboards. In places a vocalisation is heard that could have been left out. Singing is better than vocalising sounds I believe. It feels a bit dated these days but the music still is entrancing. The alto sax is wonderful and often the guitars are spacey. Vangelis springs to mind or Mike Oldfield occasionally.

Towards the last movement, the finale there is a deep resonating pipe organ giving a cathedral atmosphere. The monks chanting augment the effect of some religious ceremony. The guitars to follow sound out a repetitive motif and it eventually launches in to a Gilmour like solo and a blistering keyboard solo, the best part of the whole album. At the end there are effects of glass breaking, screams and voices. The other tracks are more of the same, melodic instrumentals with a focus on ambience and lengthy keyboard passages with layers of guitar. 'Sounds of Passion' is a good debut for sure, worth a listen.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#452163) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
3 stars Far above the average should receive 3.5 stars

Last week I was checking the bands from the Symphonic list and found CODA, for what I read, they didn't seem to belong in Symphonic, so I managed to buy an expensive copy of the 25th Anniversary Edition of "Sounds of Passion" to have a better opinion.....Now I can say that in my opinion they don't belong in Symphonic Prog, at least totally.

The album is a blend of Symphonic (some good moments), Ambient music and a bit of New Age, that clearly proves us that we are before a Crossover band rather than a Symphonic one, but this is a decision we have to take as a team and the issue is under study. In this moment I will forget classifications and simply review the album.

1.- The album starts with the "Sounds of Passion Suite that is divided in 6 parts:

a) Prologue: What a waste of space, a 2:17 minutes of boring narration (some will say poetry, I wont) after some wind effects, I recommend to press the skip button.

b) First Movement: starts with an interesting intro (A it long in my opinion) that blends YES influences with a couple of breathtaking Mellotron sections, and then a dramatic change, the band releases all their artillery with a fluid instrumental section that by parts reminds me of "Six Wives of Henry the VIII" by RICK WAKEMAN, despite a few uneven moments, I believe it's a very good start if we omit the insipid "Prologue"

c) Second Movement: At this point. CODA enters more into New Age /Ambient territory, the music is repetitive and even boring. Doesn't matter how much Erik de Vroomen tries to create emotional moments with keyboard and piano, they never manage to capture the audience.

d) Third Movement: The bird chirping and soft spacey flute make me doubt a radical change from the less than average previous track, it's clear that de Vroomen and Pip van Steen are terrific pianist and flutist, but the composition is weak and no matter how hard they try the music never "takes off". Around the 3:10 minutes a strong drum explosion gives me some hopes, but it's a mirage, they fall again into the Ambient territory with a distant FOCUS resemblance that boosts the ending a bit with a Jack Witjes interesting guitar solo

e) Fourth Movement - Finale: Begins with a Gregorian Chant section which's majesty is diminished by some annoying keyboard sounds in the vein of Vangelis, after an explosion, a pompous and passionate Baroque organ makes it's appearance (for those Progheads like me that love excesses is a gift), and then develops into a soft but interesting instrumental section with a heavy distorted guitar in the background, now they remind me a bit of Gilmour.

The ret of the track is full of surprises, radical changes and phenomenal performances by all the band members, simply delightful, they left the best music for the last Movement of the "Sounds of Passion" suite, this sole section pays the whole album.

2.- Crazy Fool and Dreamer: After the instrumental "Suite" (Well, except for the chants), it's the tie to add the vocals by Jack Witjes, who in the style of JOHN WETTON does a very decent job, even when a bit soulless for the good music of the song. Again Erik de Vroomen adds excellent piano and organ, but I would be unfair if I didn't say the whole band is in a great level,....This is pure Symphonic with a frantic but at the same time breathtaking finale. The best song of the album by far.

3.- Defended: The last song of the album begins with a short operatic instant and without preambles then enter directly to the central section with decent vocals and better choirs, this time they leave the Symphonic real to cross into some sort of lighter PINK FLOYD Space Rock, again they hit the nail in the head......The final section made me jump of my seat, but won't reveal the secret to avoid ruining the experience

Still don't believe this album is pure Symphonic and I insist they should be moved to Crossover, but hey, this guys really know their business.

When the album started I was going to rate it with 2 stars, but now I believe that anything bellow 3.5 with be unfair, but our system doesn't allow this, so not without sadness, will have to go with 3 stars, even when I'm sure this very good (but slightly uneven) album deserves something more.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#452427) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 26, 2011

3 stars The start of the twenty-nine minutes long opus Sounds of Passion is not promising. The silly voice effects does not do anything for me. But the music then starts and slowly builds up. The orchestral music is meditation like in the beginning before it kicks off with some good keyboards and t ... (read more)

Report this review (#203978) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Sunday, February 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Classic Dutch eighties album! Because it is not very well known, I thought I might just as well add a review. The original LP consisted of just one epic track, which is completely instrumental (okay, apart from some introductory spoken -word poetry at the start of the album, Gregorian chants som ... (read more)

Report this review (#190652) | Posted by Moogtron III | Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Why 5 stars ? First we must look to Progre history . The year is 1985, a time when who was producing progre music could be considered a hero. Letīs put CODA and other out of mainstream progre at their right honored place ! Yeah, if you lived the eighties loving progre, you know what I mean. Comm ... (read more)

Report this review (#181888) | Posted by Prog_Veteran | Saturday, September 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CODA "Sounds of Passion"