OUT OF THE MIST

Buy ILLUSION Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

Side 1
1. Isadora (6:58)
2. Roads To Freedom (3:55)
3. Beautiful Country (4:21)
4. Solo Flight (4:20)

Side 2
5. Everywhere You Go (3:18)
6. Face Of Yesterday (5:43)
7. Candles Are Burning (7:10)

Search ILLUSION Out Of The Mist lyrics

- Eddie McNeil / percussion, drums

LP Island-ILPS 9489-UK-1977
LP Island-ILPS 9489-USA-1977
CD Si-wan-SRMC00042-Kor-1995

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ILLUSION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ILLUSION Out Of The Mist Music

IllusionIllusion
Esoteric 2011
THE ILLUSION VINYL RECORD ALBUM 33RPM STEREO 3703 US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I CD US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 14m
GUNS ROSES Use Your Illusion 2CD CD Classic 80s Rock KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR US $13.31 Buy It Now 1h 18m
SARAH McLACHLAN - Laws of Illusion CD ( 2010 ) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Use your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses US $6.00 [0 bids]
~ SARAH McLACHlAN - Laws Of Illusion ~ MUSIC CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Illusion of Progress - Staind New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.17 Buy It Now 3h 9m
GUNS N' ROSES Use Your Illusion I JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
GUNS N' ROSES Use Your Illusion II JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
GUNS N' ROSES Use Your Illusion I CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Guns N' Roses - Use your illusion World Tour 1992 in Tokyo 2 pcs VHS set US $12.00 [0 bids]
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II CD (Parental Advisory, 1991) US $3.38 [0 bids]
GUNS N' ROSES Use Your Illusion II CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion 15 Track Cassette US $13.14 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Sweetest Illusion by Basia (CD, May-1994, Epic (USA)) US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Janis Ian "That Grand Illusion - mono/stereo" Columbia Promo US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 43m
ILLUSION (UK #1) - OUT OF THE MIST - NEW CD US $15.47 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Mannequin Men - Lose Your Illusion Too [Vinyl New] US $17.33 Buy It Now 8h
Renaissance - Illusion [CD New] US $12.50 Buy It Now 8h 7m
E4043 / CD / BASIA - THE SWEETEST ILLUSION 1994 JAPAN PRESS WITH LYRICS US $3.19 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Guns 'n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I NEW CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II - Japan Version US $5.00 [0 bids]
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I - Japan Version US $5.00 [0 bids]
Sarah Mclachlan Laws Of Illusion Taiwan CD+DVD w/OBI US $25.79 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Guns N` Roses- Use Your Illusion I - GEFD24415 US $11.22 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Illusion by Troubadors Orchestra Jazz Kapp 0 near mint US $19.00 Buy It Now 9h 5m
BLIND ILLUSION - THE SANE ASYLUM - MASSCDDG1095 US $21.90 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Styx The Grand Illusion MFSL Japan JVC ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic cln Super Vinyl US $84.00 Buy It Now 9h 34m
FOX (WITH ROGER TAYLOR) tails of illusion LP 10 track with inner (gtlp006) uk gt US $19.33 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II CD US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 54m
I Like It Loud by Illusion near mint Geffen 12" Rock US $9.95 Buy It Now 10h 7m
UNLEASHED POWER Quintet Of Spheres - 1994 CD - coroner anacrusis blind illusion US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Illusion of Progress [ECD] by Staind (CD, Aug-2008, Atlantic) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Illusion of Progress [ECD] by Staind (CD, Aug-2008, Atlantic) US $2.99 [0 bids]
TWELFTH NIGHT (80'S PROG) art and illusion LP 5 track with insert (mfn36) uk iss US $8.72 Buy It Now 10h 25m
BENASSI BROS FEAT SANDY - ILLUSION - IMPORT CD SINGLE - GERMANY - REMIXESEXC US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 31m
Gaia - CD -Truth and Illusion US $11.86 Buy It Now 10h 41m
XCLUSIVE - Loves Illusion -12" Single US PRESS US $6.77 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Guns And Roses Use Your Illusion 2 cd US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Imagination, Just an Illusion LP#RBL 208 (VG) US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
Paradise Lost - Frozen illusion demo tape 1989, death metal, bolt thrower US $39.02 [2 bids]
ZE:A ZEA - ILLUSION Mini Album CD + 76P Photo Booklet + Folded Poster K-POP US $23.50 [0 bids]
Use Your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses (CD, Sep-1991, Geffen) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Use Your Illusion II [PA] by Guns N' Roses (CD, Sep-1991, Geffen) US $4.00 [0 bids]
NEW Christ Illusion (Explicit Version With Alt Cover) - Slayer US $8.22 Buy It Now 11h 31m
ILLUSION 001 Neverending 12" white label US $19.52 Buy It Now 12h 9m
JUNIOR CAMPBELL Sweet Illusion 7" 45 US $6.70 Buy It Now 12h 10m
HURRICANE #1 Just Another Illusion 3 Track CD US $6.70 Buy It Now 12h 12m
LOVE'S ILLUSION by ANONYMOUS 4 Music from Montpellier Codex 13th Century w/ Book US $3.25 Buy It Now 12h 20m
BASIA THE SWEETEST ILLUSION MINI DISC MINIDISC MD EPIC 1994 SEALED MATT BIANCO US $49.00 Buy It Now 12h 24m
FOX TAILS OF ILLUSION MINI LP CD OBI US $16.14 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion I - NEW & SEALED VINYL LP US $26.95 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Slayer - Christ Illusion - 3733045 US $20.59 Buy It Now 13h 21m
GUNS N ROSES - USE YOUR ILLUSION I (GEFFEN) US $3.39 Buy It Now 13h 22m
(CD) ''ANONYMOUS 4'' / LOVE'S ILLUSION / 1994 HARMONIA MUNDI RECORDS US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ze:A Illusion Mini General Album Korean K-POP CD 76P Booklet Sealed US $28.99 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Artical - Illusion X NEW CD US $17.13 Buy It Now 13h 39m
Illusion Of Safety - Inside Agitator (CD) MINT US $16.84 Buy It Now 13h 44m
BLIND ILLUSION / THE SANEASYLUM metal thrash 1991 ex. free sh t174 US $11.25 Buy It Now 13h 54m
12" LP ELECTRO ILLUSION - COMFORTABLY NUMB PINK FLOYD TRIBUTE US $60.00 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Styx "The Grand Illusion" New Factory Sealed CD 1977 A&M Records US $2.26 Buy It Now 14h 8m
SLAYER: Christ Illusion LP (180 gram clear vinyl reissue, hand numbered limited US $35.00 Buy It Now 14h 21m
POWER QUEST 2008 CD- Master Of Illusion - Dragonforce/Arthemis/Ascension -SEALED US $9.00 [0 bids]
Use Your Illusion II [PA] by Guns N' Roses (CD, Sep-1991, Geffen) US $4.75 [0 bids]
Use Your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses (CD, Sep-1991, Geffen) US $4.75 [0 bids]
KEITHUS I - LIVING IN ILLUSION / ILLUSIONS DUB 7" JAH DYNASTY LABEL 70S ?? US $6.49 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Illusion by Evil's Toy (CD, Apr-1998, Metropolis) US $7.00 Buy It Now 14h 49m
NAJEE - JUST AN ILLUSION - NEW CD US $9.64 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Paradise Lost - Tragic Illusion 25 (10" mint green vinyl + CD) US $16.00 Buy It Now 15h 20m
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION - 1977 A&M SP-4637 VINYL LP RECORD US $4.99 [0 bids]
HEAVY METAL/ Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum (LP) US $36.99 Buy It Now 15h 30m
ROCK/ Styx - The Grand Illusion (LP) US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 36m
Welcome to Illusion by Shylock (CD 2004, MTM Music) US $4.95 [1 bids]
Basia - The Sweetest Illusion 1994 JAPAN CD #42 US $2.09 Buy It Now 16h 38m
SLAYER**CHRIST ILLUSION (SPECIAL EDITION/180G) [ADVISORY]**VINYL US $20.50 Buy It Now 16h 41m
MEDWAY VS PETE GAWTRY optical illusion 12" RECORD KATANIA REMIX US $9.75 Buy It Now 16h 43m
NOCTURNAL RITES GRAND ILLUSION SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION FONO POWER METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
VINTAGE STYX "GRAND ILLUSION" 8-TRACK TAPE US $3.99 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusion SP4637 R G-VG C EX+ (LP-9810) US $5.49 Buy It Now 16h 57m
PERSERVERING PROMISE**AL ILLUSION IN SHAMBLES**CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 17h
Illusion CD by Spoken 2013 - 12 Songs NEW US $13.50 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Rare Italo Disco 12" Maxi Esprit nouveau / Carlo Conti - Dancing on illusion US $125.00 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Styx "The Grand Illusion" 1977 A&M Records 33RPM LP SP-4637 US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h 10m
GUNS 'N' ROSES Use Your Illusion II LP Original 1st Geffen 1991 A1/B1/C1/D1 EX+ US $67.88 Buy It Now 17h 42m
POOR MOON**ILLUSION (EP W/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $10.60 Buy It Now 17h 46m
POOR MOON**ILLUSION (EP)**CD US $6.74 Buy It Now 17h 46m
Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
Cazden,Joanna - Greatest Illusion +3 [CD New] US $18.10 Buy It Now 17h 57m
Andy Whittle Reflections Of An Illusion CD Album US $5.07 Buy It Now 18h
Use Your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses (CD, Sep-1991, Geffen) CD & SLEEVE ONLY US $2.49 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Use Your Illusion II [PA] by Guns N' Roses (CD, 1991, Geffen) CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 18h 16m
GUNS N' ROSES - USE YOUR ILLUSION II (2) - CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM US $8.13 Buy It Now 18h 31m
ILLUSION OF A BAND: Work Me (rare soul vinyl 45) US $215.00 Buy It Now 18h 35m
Guns & Roses - Use Your Illusion I - 1991 Geffen Records GEF24415 Vinyl US $42.43 Buy It Now 18h 38m
XRCD VICJ 61173: MASATO HONDA - Illusion - OOP 2004 JAPAN Near Mint US $59.99 Buy It Now 18h 40m
XCLUS!VE - LOVE'S ILLUSION -RARE 1988 PHIL JONES PROD MIAMI ELECTRO DISCO US 12" US $10.17 Buy It Now 18h 49m
STYX The Grand Illusion CD, Oct-1990 (1977), A&M Records, D125245, IFPI 0394 US $3.75 [0 bids]
The Grand Illusion STYX US $9.00 Buy It Now 19h
STYX**LIVE: THE GRAND ILLUSION/PIECES OF EIGHT (DIGI)**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 19h 3m
Laws of Illusion by Sarah McLachlan (CD, Jun-2010, Arista) US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 5m

More places to buy ILLUSION music online Buy ILLUSION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ILLUSION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ILLUSION Out Of The Mist ratings distribution

ILLUSION Out Of The Mist reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Out Of The Blue

In the later 70's, when Haslam's Renaissance had made its place in the sun, the ex-Yardbirds McCarthy and Relf and originator of the concept probably regretted having given up their project, but reformed to have a second go at it, using the name of their second album, Illusion. But in the re-building phase, the singer/guitarist Keith Relf electrocuted himself plugging in his equipment, thus forcing the group to search a replacement, which came in the person of Knightsbrige who plays on electric guitars (this will make quite a difference), the other change being the drum stool occupied by newcomer McNeil, since McCarthy had decided to sing and play acoustic guitar, an instrument he used for his songwriting, being almost alone in that task now, Hawken being a distant second. Funnily enough their label is the Island label that had released the first two Renaissance album, but dropped the new Haslam line-up group from their roster.

Opening on the superb Isadora, you'd swear that almost nothing has changed from these early Renaissance days. In the same realm, Beautiful Country and the ultra-melodic (and a bit cheesy) Everywhere You Go, the obvious Face Of Yesterday (a calmer rework of that second Renaissance album), and a very Renaiisance-claiming Candles Are Burning (not Ashes ;o))) are all quite pleasant and obviously hint at the Renaissance sound. The album has rockier-than Renaissance tracks like Roads To Freedom, the enthralling Solo Flight and if these tracks are only moderately progressive, at least they shake you up and avoid their albums to become soporific like Renaissance's Novella, etc?.

By the time this came out, I thought that this Illusion album was quite superior to the Renaissance of the times as Scherazade, Azure D'Or or Novella were very much yawners (IMHO), as this album had much more energy. Although one has to wonder why they did come back , other than for financial reasons that is, it's still McCarty and Jane Relf and they still sound great and so does Hawken behind his not-yet vintage keyboards. I have yet to find how the two groups co-existed or if te Haslam Renaissance even noticed the competition in commercial terms, but I'm sure there must've been frictions. Prefer this album to the now-cruise-controlling Renaissance.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#28957) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars The renaissance of the first Renaissance.

Think of Illusion, think of Renaissance. The history of the two bands is very much intertwined, and while the band bearing the name Renaissance came out on top in terms of success and longevity, the quality of Illusion's output should not be underestimated. Of the Renaissance line up which recorded the confusingly titled "Illusion" album and which subsequently disbanded, only the late Keith Relf is missing here. Pre-Annie Haslam vocalist Jane Relf has a fine voice not unlike Haslam's, further emphasising the similarities between the two bands.

The emphasis here is very much on strong melodies, the songs being generally straight forward yet sophisticated, with pop influences and symphonic overtones. The opening track, "Isadora" is a strong lead off piece with hints of prog, male/female vocal harmonies, and a very appealing tune. Keyboard player John Hawken provides some excellent piano here as he does throughout the album, his quasi-classical style coming through predominantly.

Elsewhere, "Everywhere you go" and "Face of yesterday" prolong the highly melodic aspect of the album, the former being a particularly uplifting song, while the latter is more in the vein of the title track from Renaissance's "Prologue" album, especially in the non-lyrical vocal sections. The closing track "Candles are burning" has obvious similarities with the title track from the previously released Renaissance album "Ashes are burning". It is by far the most progressive track, running to over 7 minutes, with a driving rhythm and soaring synthesisers, behind a Curved Air like composition. The vocals are particularly powerful here, the track making for a wonderful climax to the album.

There are a mere seven tracks in total, the second side of the LP being particularly short. The three tracks I have not mentioned continue the melodic theme, "Solo flight" being notable for its 60's West Coast pop feel.

In all, a highly enjoyable collection which will naturally appeal to those who enjoy the 70's music of Renaissance.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#64730) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2006

Review by Gatot
3 stars This was one of bands that colored my teenage period. I was not quite sure on how to classify the band who played this kind of music at that time. For sure, I did not consider this as rock music, rather was like symphonic folk or (probably) psychedelic music with great melody. Why did I term it as symphonic? It's because the background music has a very strong nuance of symphonic music through the use of string arrangement using synthesizers and mellotron.

I first knew this band when I heard "Isadora" (6:58) was featured in Yess Heavy Slow cassette collection and the song really blew me away at first listen! The vocal quality of Jane Relf was really clear, transparent and powerful. The vocal quality drives everuthing the song needs to be an excellent song. The intro part with piano work accompanied with acoustic guitar, bass as rhythm section is really beautiful! The notes created from piano work remind me to local traditional music in my country that uses pentatonic system. The intro part contributes great composition this track has. I really love it and it became my "melody of the day" when I was teenager. It really BLEW away. That's only the opening part of the song, and my admiration went into deep when the vocal of Jane Relf entered into the scheme backed with nice piano-heavy rhythm section. "Oh Isadora . and you're still there ." oh . man it's a great song, I tell you!

The other track that kills me due to its great melody and composition is "Beautiful Country" (4:21) which flows in similar vein like "Isadora". The song was written carefully by McCarty to create great combination of notes and chords which result in great composition. It has mellow tempo with bluesy style. The intro part features great solo mini moog and piano work backed with tight bass lines. The melody as showcased by vocal work is really touchy and memorable. The good thing also is that this melody is not boring at all even after decades I have listened to this song. The interlude part with flute-like solo reminds me to early King Crimson tunes.

Well, I think with great songs like "Isadora" and "Beautiful Country" would make the purchase of this album worthwile. In fact, I also like "Solo Flight" and "Candles Are Burning". Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#121036) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by greenback
4 stars It is always very exciting to anticipate the output of a very talented progressive band having suave female lead vocals and being absent from the scene during 7 years. Renaissance version 1 here are faithful to their Baroque romantic style. Jane Relf's lead vocals are still irreproachable, unique and really addictive.

The album starts with a killer song "Isadora", a very catchy romantic song full of typical Baroque rhythmic piano. Actually, the omnipresent piano constantly flirts with Baroque, catchy & sophisticated airs, like during their early career. I cannot stop to like to be transported by Jane's pleasant & reassuring vocals on "Beautiful Country". The very bottom bass on "Solo Flight" remind you that it is Renaissance that is playing, despite the Yes-Drama like lead vocals.

On side 2, "Everywhere You Go" sounds more acoustic due to the miscellaneous high frequency percussions; it contains some good background orchestral arrangements reminding a bit Renaissance with Annie Haslam. "Face Of Yesterday" is a reprise from their Illusion album made in 1970: it has a richer sound and it is globally more fluid: needless to say I prefer it to the original version. The a bit unexpected last track, "Candles Are Burning", contains a good progressive part full of rhythmic piano and electric guitar solos: unlike the other tracks, it is not really romantic, except for its beautiful & majestic finale: what a great manner to end an album!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#125116) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars With the success of the mark II line up of Renaissance, it was only logical that the original members of that band reunite for another shot. Under the name of their second album (Illusion) the group rehearsed some new stuff. Unfortunatly singer and guitarrist Keith Relf died, eletrocuted by his own guitar, before any recording was made. The solution was simple: original drummer Jim McCarty assumed Relf´s role and they contracted two new members: electric guitarrist John Knightsbridge and drummer Eddie McNeill. As for the others, the personel remained the same: keyboardist John Hawken (ex-Strawbs), bassist Louis Cennamo and singer Jane Relf. In 1977 the ´new´ band released its first album called Out Of The Mist.

As anyone might have guessed, they sound a lot like Renaissance. Not as much as their first, self titled album, but more in the vein of the Renaissance of the Annie Haslam´s fame. The main diference was the fact they had an electric guitar and Jane Relf sharing lead vocals duties with McCarty. The music is really beautiful, soft and very well done. Certainly they had the chops (especially Hawken and Cennamo), and Jim McCarty did a fine job replacing Relf, although the lacking of a strong songwriter was clear (McCarty is certainly no Michael Dunford). The tunes are simpler than what Renaissance was doing at the time, much less symphonic and quite softer. But there are some fine stuff here like the opener Isadora, the haunting Face Of Yesterday (a re-recording of a track included on Renaissance´s second LP Illusion) and the epic suite Candles Are Burning.

Actually I like this album very much: there are no fillers and although their sound is not very outstanding, it is truly nice and interesting. I found this CD to be quite promising. If you´re a fan of the softer, simpler side Renaissance or like melodic music in general, then you should try this album. 3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#192540) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
3 stars Each prog fan has a selection of singular songs that somehow affect them in a long term way, sometimes upfront (like "the Knife"), sometimes obscure little gems that go sadly unnoticed. This Renaissance offshoot was a short lived "Illusion" that issued a few albums and suddenly exploded into tattered shreds. That keyboardist (and one of my favorites) John Hawken went to huge fame and small fortune with the suave the Strawbs, decorating their proggiest albums with sublime grace and elegance is a known fact, but Eddie McNeil on drums , guitarist Knightsbridge and bassist Louis Cennamo sort of vanished in the meantime. Both leaders Jane Relf and Jim McCarty went on to lead their lives away from the rock limelight. "Isadora" is that song, a magnificent ode to bizarre but innovative dancer Isadora Duncan I presume, a miraculous melody that is very British, a heavenly concoction of pastoral beauty, where Hawken's fluid piano introduces a massive lyrical theme first sung by James and then blended in with wife Jane's crystalline voice. The electric guitar shrug is first utterly affecting and later dejectedly delirious in expressing the somber melancholy of this colossal piece, just enough to titillate, leaving the keys and the duet vocals do the real damage. The extended outro is the icing on the cake, a ambient, gentle refrain of the theme, fragile, limpid and delicate. A true quiet classic! "Beautiful Country "is the other stellar anthem, featuring another virtuoso performance from Hawken's piano, rippling along redolently in abating the delicious voice of Jane Relf, a haunty hushing version of Annie Haslam , expressing with conviction of a melody to expunge for. "Solo Flight" is not as the title implies the soloing spot but a faster-paced rocker that has a decidedly West Coast/ Jefferson Airplane feel, slightly psychedelic but accessible at the same time. "Everyway You Go" is more like British country, a slight folk, sing along at the pub feel (without the superlative playing though) that is quite pleasing. "Candles Are Burning" is a second mini-epic, though not as successful as the masterful first, it still has its merits supported by achingly effortless vocals, massive blasts of fabled mellotron. By the end, the consensus is obvious on a good album, with a couple of superb tracks. One in particular, that Bugatti-scarfed Isadora. 3.5 optical chimeras

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#273629) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars The original lineup made one strong album before they dissolve, and strangely turned into a different band, which became far more popular. In 1977, probably seeing the success that the new band enjoyed, most of the original members regrouped as Illusion.

Keith Relf, the original guitarist, was going to be in this band, but somehow electrocuted himself before they got into the studio. I wonder if this album would have been better had he lived to perform on it.

The debut Renaissance album had strong classical influenced piano playing by Jon Hawken, which led into psychedelic jams. On this album, Hawken rarely stands out. The psychedelic influence is there, and the band sounds like it's trying, especially singer Jane Relf, but the music rarely rises above drab.

The only song that comes close is Candles Are Burning, where Hawken finally shows some of that spirit that he had in 1969.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#710156) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

3 stars I have to say that the biography just serves to confuse me. As far as I have made out, Yardbirds splintered into two camps; Eric Clapton and some guys who went on to form Renaissance. The latter band released some albums, including some of my alltime favorite albums. Somehow, the original Rena ... (read more)

Report this review (#258950) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, January 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ILLUSION "Out Of The Mist"