LA CLEF DES SONGES

Pentacle

Pentacle La Clef Des Songes album cover

Buy PENTACLE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. La Clef Des Songes (4:06)
2. Naufrage (4:27)
3. L'âme Du Guerrier (6:06)
4. Les Pauvres (3:25)
5. Complot (5:01)
6. Le Raconteur (10:42)
7. La Clef Des Songes - Live (6:00)
8. Complot - Live (8:43)
9. Le Raconteur - Live (7:23)

Search PENTACLE La Clef Des Songes lyrics

Search PENTACLE La Clef Des Songes tabs

- Claude Menetrier / organ, Moog, Elka string ensemble, piano
- Michel Roy / drums, backing vocals
- Gerald Reuz / electric & acoustic guitars, lead vocals
- Richard Treiber / bass, acoustic guitar

Eurodisc - 913 001 / Musea Records #232267

PENTACLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PENTACLE La Clef Des Songes Music

La cléf des songesLa cléf des songes
Musea 2010
Displeased
Audio CD$21.99 (used)
Trana MoodsTrana Moods
CreateSpace 2008
Pentacle - Into The Depths Of Mill Tape death thrash desaster black rare US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Pentacle-Le Clef Des Songes French prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $35.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Pentacle- la cle de songes +3 bonus tracks (SHM-CD) MINI LP US $35.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DESASTER angelwhore CLEAR LP limit 200 pentacle sabbat mayhemic truth morrigan US $85.00 Buy It Now 7 days
DESASTER angelwhore BLACK LP pentacle sabbat asphyx satyricon mayhem darkthrone US $45.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ETERNAL SOLSTICE / PENTACLE 7" VINYL asphyx,celtic frost,thanatos,pestilence US $10.00 Buy It Now 9 days
PENTACLE-LA CLEF DES SONGES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD 0825 Hi25 US $47.50 Buy It Now 9 days
RARE GARAGE PSYCH 45 rpm THE NEW WING / SONS OF ADAM on PENTACLE lb 1967 HEAR! US $60.00 Buy It Now 12 days
SWAZAFIX-ANTHEM OF APOSTACY-CD-doom-death-asphyx-pentacle-soulburn US $10.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Apple Pentacle Louisa John-Krol CD US $24.98 Buy It Now 17 days
John-Krol,Louise - Apple Pentacle [CD New] US $30.99 Buy It Now 17 days
FRANCE press LOUISA JOHN-KROL Apple Pentacle CD OOPHOI Prikosnovenie NEW Sealed US $16.98 Buy It Now 19 days
Flaming Pentacle Glass ASHTRAY US $6.99 Buy It Now 19 days
PENTACLE "Under The Black Cross" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!!! US $25.00 Buy It Now 22 days
PENTACLE "Under the Black Cross" CD asphyx dismember US $16.81 Buy It Now 23 days
PENTACLE RIDES THE MOONSTORM 1998 DAMNATION RECORDS TROLL INQUISITION DEMONCY US $39.00 Buy It Now 23 days
ASPHYX-DEATHHAMMER-CD-death-doom-pentacle-pestilence-soulburn-hail of bullets US $9.99 Buy It Now 24 days
JOHN -KROL,LOUISA - APPLE PENTACLE NEW CD US $28.10 Buy It Now 24 days
Fission & Kaiser - The Pentacle Pentacle Audio #170910 US $8.39 Buy It Now 25 days
PENTACLE Under The Black Cross ASPHYX PESTILENCE US $15.00 Buy It Now 26 days
CHURCH BIZARRE - ENIGMA OF HADES 7" EP - Horror Records 2006 - desaster pentacle US $8.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Pentacle - Under the Black Cross Old School Death / Thrash US $12.59 Buy It Now 27 days
NOCTURNAL VOMIT Cursed Relics CD PENTACLE, NECROVORE, SADISTIC INTENT, VARATHRON US $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy PENTACLE music online Buy PENTACLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PENTACLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PENTACLE La Clef Des Songes ratings distribution

PENTACLE La Clef Des Songes reviews

Review by Steve Hegede
5 stars After listening to "La Clef Des Songes" a few times, I rated it as one of the best albums from the seventies French prog scene. PENTACLE were a 4-piece band influenced by bands like early KING CRIMSON, and the MOODY BLUES. Their music tends to lean on the mellow symphonic sound, where beautifully colorful themes are led by acoustic/eletric guitar and analog keyboards. Every once in a while, the band starts to explore more aggressive territory (faster tempos, time-signatures, etc), and the guitarist bursts into passionate soloing. All of the tracks feature French vocals, which add to the beauty of the music. Fans of melodic bands like CARPE DIEM are in for a treat with this little gem.

Send comments to Steve Hegede (BETA) | Report this review (#29040) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 22, 2004

Review by loserboy
PROG REVIEWER Honorary Reviewer
5 stars Well thanks once again to Alain Robert at Musea we can enjoy a super bit mapping remastered version of PENTACLE"s classic album "La Clef Des Songes"... and a classic it is. For those who love spacey cascading symphonic prog with lots of soft organ and CRIMSON like atmospheres will get into this work of art. I love every song here only wished PENTACLE had lasted longer. On this cd version Musea have attached 3 live songs from these early days of discovery. This music does not sound dated and has a very fresh feeling to it, which is nice for a change as many early '70 prog sounds like '50's! PENTACLE offer superb musicianship with awesome guitar, keyboard and drum interplay. PENTACLE has a strong tie with ANGE in that Christian Decamps produced the album and has a lot to do with its release right from the start. This is yet another essential recording.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#29041) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars My esteemed colleagues are dead on in dishing out pentastars without the slightest hesitation. In fact, almost anyone who has had the privilege of listening to this gem has expressed their enthusiasm unabashedly. There is a compelling reason why: as Tony The Tiger would say "It's Great!!! Definetely on the same playing field as Ange's monumental "Au Dela du Delire" , a serious top 10 prog classic for so many aficionados, this one shot deal is a shimmering, delicate and precious prize that is not only a collector item but a comfortable and trusted friend. It has all the famous French Prog attributes: lush symphonics, superb instrumentation yet not over produced and the famed theatrical vocals so dear to the Mona Lisa/Ange/Eclat/Atoll/Pulsar school of prog. This recording has strong echoes of softer elements of King Crimson Mark I (In The Court... In The Wake...) with a definite Moody Blues angle on the melodies, mostly due to the Elka String ensemble. This keyboard was heavily used by the early French prog bands and has a distinctive and very specific sound and tone, akin to the Italian Eminent . The songs are all top notch musical stories that will please even non french speaking ears. (Amazing thing about prog, Gentle Giant used to fill arenas in Quebec with non English speaking fans !!!) . An absolute necessary addition to any prog collection and a "fidele compagnon" to any serious fan. A "no doubt about it" five star supernova !!!

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#90195) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 18, 2006

Review by Finnforest
4 stars An absolute classic 70s gem!

Consider this. These days it is nothing for a band to spend months and in some cases years to get out an album. Must be nice. Pentacle recorded this amazing work in 8 days! Reading about the pressure they were under makes their album all the more impressive. The album was produced by Christian Decamps of Ange fame. But it is much smoother than Ange, none of Decamps vocal theatrics. Very low key vocals, tons of mellotron and soaring lead guitar.

Pentacle surpassed all of my expectations with La Clef Des Songes. The pleasure center of the prog-fan brain will be rocked! Check out the very high ratings this album has garnered.

This is a well-rounded album with all musicians contributing much. Being a guitar man myself I am pleased with two aspects. First, the guitar itself is great from its sweet acoustic backgrounds to heavily saturated solos. But just as importantly the keyboards assume the role of creating the canvas of atmosphere for the guitars to paint over rather than challenging the guitar for the forefront. I'm not saying the keys are boring, far from it. I love some of the sounds he creates but he's playing to compliment the overall piece rather than to get noticed. Drum/bass play is decent and the vocals are pleasant rather than annoyingly overdramatic as is unfortunately so common. This band understood subtlety and how to leave space open, to give sound the room it needs. Check out the streaming sample here to see what I mean.

Some mention that Pentacle may recall early Crimson but I want to point out that they are not harsh or abrasive. They are a smooth, spacey, melodic band that is almost instantly accessible and I suspect would also appeal to fans of Pink Floyd. This is not a grower but rather an album you will love by the 3rd spin.

To give a bit more info I'll quote a few lines from the liner notes: "The disc belongs to the canon of delicate and refined progressive rock, showcasing a music which mixes energy, virtuosity and melodic beauty. The elegance of the themes reminds one of the kind of chamber rock elaborated by English groups like Cressida, Gracious, and Czar with an emphasis on the development of a sophisticated and lyrical symphonism." [by Francis Grosse]

The sound is not perfect but it is certainly good enough...remember, these guys didn't have a Pink Floyd budget, they had day jobs.

The Musea folks have outdone themselves on the CD. Super Bit Mapping, gorgeous artwork, many photos, and a long and thorough band history. Plus 3 rare live bonus tracks from the glorious 70s giving you another 22 minutes of music. If only all labels took this kind of care.

An essential recording for fans of 70s space rock or symph, fans of Floyd, and lovers of the French scene. 9/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#119058) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 19, 2007

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
4 stars Although Pentacle's only album was produced by Christian Descamps of Ange Fame, it favours to the smoother more melodic side of symphonic prog over the highly theatrical melodrama of Ange and their followers. Gerald Reuz does sound a bit like Descamps on downers, but this is not to suggest that everything here is morose, but rather that it tends to the understated and less complex.

The main features musically are the tuneful lead guitars of Reuz and the omnipresent string synths and organs of Claude Menetrier, which play well together and with Reuz's voice, but the bass and drums also keep pace and provide some unorthodox backing at times. The highlights are the title cut, the superb " L'âme Du Guerrier" and the epic "Le Raconteur", which provides the best instrumental workout of the recording, with guitars and various keys taking turns at variations on the general motif, providing a feast for the prog fan who thrives on atmosphere and harmonics.

If I may say, I also hear a folk, almost Breton element at the base of some of these tunes, but it does not jump out right away since the instrumentation is generally far removed from those roots. After a few listens, I am also drawn back to some of my Quebecois favourites of the 70s, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly whom and why. Neither of these traits should be all that surprising, given the time period and the tendency to explore and blend different genres, especially in the progressive realm, and indeed they provide the key to my musical reveries, and explain why I am rounding up to 4 stars. Another recommended Musea release.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#140764) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2007

4 stars I finally own this cd ! If you knew the abuse I took from one Mr. Finnforest who knew I couldn't get it because it was out of print, you would understand my relief. It was all in good fun of course but the way he and tszirmay talked about this record I was sure it was the holy grail of prog albums. I think that is why I can only muster 4 stars for this one. Only ? Ok when an album gets hyped and hyped it very rarely lives up to the billing does it ? Part of the reason well may be i've listened to it too much. As Finnforest mentions this is an easy one to get into, and after many, many listens it's not getting better.The music really has an Italian feel to it for me. I think it's the vocals, even though they are in French they are mostly fragile, and I think Italian when I hear them.The guitar when it comes to the fore is clean, clear and loud. I love it. The string synths are all over this album as well. Not as good as mellotron in my opinion but it creates a spacey, dreamy soundscape.

"La Clef Des Songes" was my favourite right from the first listen. Not anymore, but it really stood alone for me even after 5 listens. The dramatic guitar, synths and drum intro settles down quickly then kicks right back in before fragile vocals come in. The contrast continues. Love the guitar solo 2 1/2 minutes in. "Naufrage" opens with the wind blowing as faint guitar sounds can be heard. Strummed guitar and fragile vocals take over. The electric guitar leads sound great. Check out the guitar 4 minutes in to the end. "L'ame Du Guerrier" has some amazing bass throughout. And the organ is a highlight as well. Yes, fragile vocals (ho hum) come in around a minute as it settles down. Piano 2 1/2 minutes in as the tempo picks up. Synths, then some ripping guitar after 3 1/2 minutes. Nice. The vocals are better as he really sings. Funny but parts of this song remind me of VIOLETA DE OUTONO. Themes are repeated. Amazing tune.

"Les Pauveres" is patoral with reserved (ahem) vocals to begin with. The guitar after 1 1/2 minutes makes some beautiful melodic noise. Then back to the mellow soundscape. "Complot" opens with organ as drums and synths follow. Fragile vocals a minute in. Guitar after 2 minutes as we get a lot of synths in this one. "Le Raconteur" is the final and longest track on the album. The first 3 minutes are quite calm with synths, organ, vocals and drums leading the way. Then the tempo starts to pick up with some nice guitar 3 1/2 minutes in. 4 1/2 minutes in it settles right down with synths and some tasteful guitar. The guitar cries out beautifully 7 minutes in and then gets aggressive 8 1/2 minutes in. It then settles back down to end it.

Thankyou Finnforest and tszirmay, two gentlemen who's opinions mean very much to me. Unfortunately everytime I think of PENTACLE I will think of you two characters !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#173868) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych / Avant / Neo Teams
4 stars Bravo! That's just Pentacle!

The album is their only one and exactly terrific one in the French progressive rock history. When I listened for the first time without any knowledge, I wondered Ange had changed their name or members. That's absolutely natural. As you know, the production of the album was Christian DeCamps from Ange. Otherwise, wouldn't Pentacle be like Ange? God only knows about it, ha-haa!

My joke has been just finished. Lyrical as French music, but not exaggerated as Ange...I can tell that about their sound and stream. From the start of the album, heavy riff and melancholic voice are exploded all around. Like an ibis with large wings soaring and decending, songs included get up- and down-beated, and at last calmly faded out...into the stream and atmosphere I always fall.

If possible, I consider 4.5 stars may be appropriate.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#193167) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 14, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I never heard about Pentacle before joining PA and I'm glad I found it. This one off french band really did release a very interesting prog gem in its short lifespan. The first two tracks are nice but not very outstanding: they seemed somehow rushed or half finished. That may be by the fact the band had such little time to record their sole LP. The live version of the first track, included here as a bonus, is actually superior to the studio offering, which seems corroborate this theory. Neverntheless, the third track onwards are all winners.

The group plays a synphonic kind of prog, much in the vein of early King Crimson and some of ELP's first works. So there are lots of Hammond and mellotron waves together with very fine electric and acoustic guitars. Guitarrist Gerald Reuz also handles the vocals, in a style that reminds a lot of a young Greg Lake. All lyrics are in french, which suits the band's sound very well. the rhythm section is very good and creative too. The production (done by Christian Descamp, of Ange) could be better, but considering their rush and the low budget, it was a good job anyway.

My favorite track is Le Raconteur, a ten minute epic with fantastic, tasteful guitar and keyboards interplay. L'âme Du Guerrier is another highlight, with the acoustic guitars and singing giving it a french folk flavor that was part of Pentacle's charm. The live tracks are ok, not so very well recorded, but a nice touch (plus the aforementioned better than the studio version of the title track).

I'm realy happy to find this gem. One every prog lover should listen to (especially early King Crimson fans). Four stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#194369) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 19, 2008

Review by Atavachron
3 stars This French quartet's only album is paradigmatic of what was happening to rock musicians faced with both overwhelming odds and the astounding musical breakthroughs of the 1970s. Like many, the group probably figured this whole art thing would last forever. Rock would surely continue to expand into even greater areas previously unrealized. I mean, how could things go back? The public seemed to agree as evidenced by progressive rock's impressive chart listings and perfect storm of inspiration and timing. And it would be all but over by the end of the decade.

Pentacle's music is both intracate and humble, and the material here seems to have been composed in a flurry of activity during 1974/75 when the band - founded by friends Michel Roy (drums) and Gerard Ruez (guitars) - had after several years of gigging found the right line-up of gifted keyboardist Claude Menetrier and the rare talents of bassist/composer Richard Treiber. Evidently so turgid were the compositions that producer Jean-Claude Pognant [Ange] asked that they be shortened, a request warily agreed to by the band. But on stage they were able to expand their work with three of those live versions added to the Musea reissue. The opener starts unremarkably and the Ange comparisons are fair though the sound may also remind of Italians Le Orme with wafts of Bo Hansson in the background. Trieber's bass parts are the star along with Menetrier's synths supported admirably by founders Ruez and Roy. 'Naufrage' is better, ending solidly with a nice keyboard/drum exchange followed by full-powered symph rocker 'L'ame du Guerrier'-- 6 minutes of thematic development, good vocals and a great sense of soft-to-hard dynamism, Ruez's minstrel acoustics, and plenty of feeling. 'Les Pauvres' is French romance at its most poignant featuring Gerard Ruez's whispers of longing. Menetrier's elegiacal organ leads plodder 'Complot' and it wraps with eleven-minute 'Le Raconteur', a piece with good moments as well as disappointing ones.

The band deserves the love, of that there is little doubt, though this album's legend may only grow so large. Pentacle are a band that causes all weepy-eyed prog romantics to warm to them, and to want to extend a hand if 35 years too late.

Send comments to Atavachron (BETA) | Report this review (#241797) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 27, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
4 stars Somebody already know, I struggle a little bit with French language (in music of course), after all, I state it almost in all review of album sung in French language. Seems like a lot of Canada bands and almost all French ones are singing in this French language, as they can be proud of it. Actually, they can, it can be beautiful language (even sometimes unbearable, depending on speaker / singer in this case). There, just pleasant voice, lyrics (that I don't understand, but still it makes me happy) and sheer optimistic energy shining from it. In this point, "La Clef Des Songes" is making success. As many other one-wonder band from this era, they're in strange situation of being debut-final album, so they have no time to be mature, only fresh. And it's recognizable here.

4(+) is the least I can do to express my impression that this album made. Maybe it came little bit late, but year or two doesn't matter much (to me at least). Live songs are even better by my opinion.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#260078) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 09, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars If you have read some of my reviews, you might be aware that I quite liked the French scene from the seventies. Not only because of the French lyrics (French is my mother tongue) but mainly because the quality of the music combined to great and often irreverent texts were a perfect combination and marvelously highlighted the symphonic feel one could get while listening to so many great bands.

This "Pentacle" one and only jewel is not different from its great predecessors (and followers). The music they proposed was a brilliant combination of Crimson / Yes & Genesis in terms of instrumentation. As far as the vocal department is concerned, I have to say that they don't show too much to share with the usual and theatric French style.

Gerald Reuz is much more discreet but very effective though. And he is surrounded by a bunch of excellent musicians. Just listen to the gorgeous guitar solo available during "L'Âme Du Guerrier". Brilliant, really.

The "naked" emotional "Les Pauvres" is a great example of this French style I praise so much: simple, moving and featuring some great musical skills (guitar here is superb again: both acoustic and electric). A passionate moment indeed (but French knowledge is an add-on).

When you listen to the intro of the epic from this album ("Le Raconteur", - the story-teller) there is only one word to use: splendid! Vocals are sweet and passionate, keyboards are outstanding, melody is strong and the song quickly evolves into superb territories. Instrumental parts feature a great fight between the lead guitar and the rhythmic section: the result is absolutely wonderful.

On top of this, there are some extraordinary melodic moments available as well! What a great track this is. This song is THE highlight of course (but most of the songs featured on this album are excellent). The closing guitar solo is fantastic.

The bonus live tracks are quite interesting as well (even if the sound is rather average). This is quite a good album in my standards. Just shy of the masterpiece status but four solid stars without any problem.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#308672) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 07, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Driven by the excellent Gilmour-like guitar skills of Gerald Reuz, Pentacle's sole album is an intriguing product of the French prog scene which manages to attain an intriguing balance between indulging in symphonic prog complexity and maintaining sufficient accessibility to give the music broad appeal. It's precisely this sort of balancing act which five to six years later would give rise to the neo-prog scene, and there are points where the music does drift into territory reminiscent of early recordings by Twelfth Night and The Lens (the band who, in case you don't know, eventually evolved into IQ). That isn't to say this is a full-on neo album, but it is a fascinating reminder that even before the punk wave hit there were still plenty of bands producing prog in an accessible manner that was open to mainstream audiences, if they but had the inclination to listen.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#548521) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review by Anthony H.
4 stars Pentacle: La Clef Des Songes [1975]

Rating: 7/10

La Clef Des Songes was the sole album from French symphonic progressive-rock band Pentacle. This was one of the first discoveries I made during my initial journeys through the obscure realms of ProgArchives. I remember this as one of the first albums that expanded my perception of the progressive-music world beyond my Yes, ELP, and Dream Theater horizons. This is an odd album to hold such a position, considering how obscure it is. Regardless, I have been familiar with this little-known release ever since I was a rookie prog-fan. I'm glad that I stumbled upon Pentacle those few years ago, because this solitary album is a real gem. Pentacle explore the lighter and more folk-oriented side of symphonic-prog, with melodic guitar and ethereal synths being the primary instruments here. The guitar work ranges from light acoustic strumming to Gilmour-esque melodic wailing; both styles sound fantastic. The keyboard playing is centered on superb Moog tones. Unlike other folky symph-prog bands (such as Harmonium), Pentacle's music is somber and melancholic. All of these factors combine to create an excellent piece of symphonic grandeur.

The title track opens the album with an epic synth motif that slowly builds along with the understated vocals. "Naufrage" is a dark piece with excellent guitar work that manages to be both melodic and dissonant at the same time. The abrupt ending adds to the unsettling atmosphere. "L'ame Du Guerrier" features some righteous Moog drones that work perfectly within the context of the groovy middle section. The guitar work also shines here. "Les Pauvres" is a completely acoustic folk piece that fails to fully keep my attention. "Complot" is the album's brightest highlight. The synths are in prime form, but the unforgettable guitar solo is the greatest thing about this track. The 10-minute "Le Raconteur" is a grand closer. The synths are monstrous as usual, and the guitar work is top-shelf as well. The flamenco guitar conclusion ends the album on a fabulous note.

La Clef Des Songes is yet another gem from the treasure trove of obscure 70s prog. Each of these six tracks features a well-developed melodic framework and spectacular (yet subtle) musicianship. Although a few of the tracks are slightly lackluster, the excellence of the better moments evens things out. I wish that the synth presence was more cemented; even though there is some fantastic Moog work here, I often feel like the instrumentation is a bit too restrained. This is not an album without its fair share of flaws, but it is still an immensely enjoyable listen that showcases many of the things I like most about progressive music. La Clef Des Songes is not a masterpiece, but any fan of light symphonic music should find a lot to appreciate here. The melancholic atmosphere is strangely haunting.

Send comments to Anthony H. (BETA) | Report this review (#602821) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Review by J-Man
4 stars Like many one-album wonders from the seventies' progressive rock scene, the music of French symphonic prog act Pentacle didn't receive very much recognition until fairly recently. A CD reissue from Musea Records and a legion of prog fans expressing their love for the album through internet forums have all helped Pentacle finally get some of the attention they deserve, but their sole effort La Clef Des Songes still remains pretty obscure over 35 years since its release. A real shame, as I consider this one of the best French albums released during the golden age of symphonic prog. As history would prove, this rather short album would end up being the only work ever created by Pentacle, but at least the band has left us with a half hour of splendid music. La Clef Des Songes is a forgotten gem that deserves to be heard by every progressive rock fan.

La Clef Des Songes opens up on a high note with its powerful and downright haunting title track, and the rest of this 34 minute album is every bit as good. "L'âme Du Guerrier" is another highlight, with its chilling builds and excellent synthesizer melodies drawing me in from the very beginning, and the epic "Le Raconteur" is a perfect way to close the album. Pentacle definitely took the saying 'quality over quantity' to heart, as all six tracks on La Clef Des Songes are superb - it's a real shame that the band didn't go on to release more albums in the coming years. If this debut is indicative of anything at all, these guys would've had a very bright future ahead of them.

La Clef Des Songes was originally released in 1975, and in many ways the album sounds like it couldn't have been from any other time period. The heavy use of synthesizers makes it feel different than many early seventies' symphonic prog albums, but the rather raw production and very progressive compositions means that it doesn't sound like a typical late seventies' album either - in many ways, Pentacle's pastoral and spacey approach to symphonic prog sounds like a combination of Genesis, Premiata Forneria Marconi, and Pink Floyd with a heavier dependence on lead synthesizer tones than any of the aforementioned acts. The keyboard palette is also made up of plenty of organs and mellotrons, but it's really the chilling synthesizer that sets Pentacle apart from many other progressive rock acts from the mid-seventies'. The band's unique arrangements make this a pretty original album in many regards; it doesn't sound specifically like any single other band, but instead like a mix of the very best sounds that progressive rock has to offer.

Although La Clef Des Songes was only Pentacle's debut effort, this is a mature and all-around exceptional album that should be heard by every symphonic progressive rock fan. In spite of its rather obscure status, this is one of the most essential French prog albums from the 1970's, and deserves to be regarded as such - this can only be described as a beautiful, haunting, and compelling journey.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#647028) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 05, 2012

5 stars They don't have a five star guitarist, they don't have a five star drummer, they don't have a five star bass player, nor is their keyboard player among the world's top virtuosos, but all the same the French band PENTACLE have succeeded in producing a five star album. All on "La Clef De Songes" ... (read more)

Report this review (#603120) | Posted by Life Line Project | Wednesday, January 04, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars 2.5 stars actually! Pentacle is a french symphonic band and it really has lots of symphonic elements like vocal in native language, melodies on keys, some space themes, etc. But it is quite simple: There are no ecstasy moments, unusual instruments or great solos. The band reminds other fre ... (read more)

Report this review (#270425) | Posted by Thiago Hallak | Monday, March 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A solid release that does what it says on the tin. Not a wildly original outing, but one where the songwriting has a strong flow from beginning to end and the musician's stick to their strengths. The main ingredients are haunting keyboards and biting guitarwork. The guitarist is somewhat apart ... (read more)

Report this review (#248447) | Posted by Area70 | Friday, November 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a truly enjoyable album. All of the beauty and power of the traditional French groups of the era, plus a bit more melody in the softer/English styling. There's been so much written about this from other proggers, I won't go into detail, but there is just something very unique here that tr ... (read more)

Report this review (#245297) | Posted by tmay102436 | Tuesday, October 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars WOW !!!!!!!! This is my first meeting with French prog and this band. This is their only album so I am excused. It is a very joyful meeting which fills me with joy and awe. The first song is really superb with it's brooding melody line which reminds me alot about PFM @ their Per Un Amico o ... (read more)

Report this review (#189255) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, November 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PENTACLE "La Clef Des Songes"