STADACONÉ

Buy SLOCHE Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Stadaconé (10:17)
2. Le Cosmophile (5:40)
3. Il Faut Sauver Barbara (4:16)
4. Ad Hoc (4:30)
5. La 'Baloune' de Varenkurtel au Zythogala (4:57)
6. Isacaaron (Le Démon Des Choses Sexuelles) (11:19)

Search SLOCHE Stadaconé lyrics

- Pierre Hébert / bass
- André Roberge / drums & percussions
- Gilles Ouellet / celesta, percussions

LP RCA Records (1976)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

SLOCHE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SLOCHE Stadaconé Music

J'un OeilJ'un Oeil
Progquebec Can/Zoom 2009
StadaconeStadacone
Import · Remastered
Ais 2009

More places to buy SLOCHE music online Buy SLOCHE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SLOCHE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SLOCHE Stadaconé ratings distribution

SLOCHE Stadaconé reviews

Review by loserboy
5 stars SLOCHE were a 70's prog fusion band from Quebec Canada who left behind 2 incredible albums of the highest calibre. Frozen somewhere in the fusion/prog vein "Stadacone" features standout musicianship and sophisticated song writing. Instrumentally this album is unforgettable with great 70's analog keyboards (Hammond B3, Mini-moog, clavinet and piano), great soaring guitar, bass and drum interplay. "Stadacone" is essentially an instrumental album with a bit of talking and chanting throughout. Musically these guys were awesome and really fall in the range of classic GENESIS, YES, GENTLE GIANT and The MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA. The album also features 2 great epic tracks with "Stadacone" and "Isacaaron" each over 10 mins giving the songs lots of room to explore. Both SLOCHE albums are to kill for and are very much essential in your collection.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#29089) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really!!! With a slightly changed line-up (drummer being replaced and an extre percussionist also), Sloche made an incredible confirmation with their second album, the stunning Amerindian-laced artwork covered Stadaconé. Still headed by the double keyboard attack and having plenty of back-up by their guitarist and the rest of the band, Stadaconé is relatively close to their debut although more towards Mahavishnu and GG, than the debut. One of the odd thing about this album is that it is dedicated to Pierre Boucard who helped write the two epics and that the album was recorded intwo distinct sessions produced by Ouellet for one and Desbien (who had done such a great job on their debut)

Opening 10-min+ title track is already warning us that this album will be slightly more disjointed, but nothing to be alarmed: the spirit of J'un Oeuil is still there. The music is definitely funkier, sometimes even reaching the level of Hancock's sextant or Headhunter (well, maybe not Headhunter ;-). Second is the only sung track (another slight change from the debut) of the album Cosmophile which brings us right back into their debut album, while one of the KB players plays a rare sax solo, too bad the song ends in a fade-out. Sauver Barbara is an organ-drenched syncopated funky jazz-rock that can help raise your mother-in-law from the dead (provided she is not too deeply buried of course, her name is Barbara and you cannot find her stash of dough ;-) while the second side opens on the Ad Hoc highlight and takes you towards a heavenly trip. Yet another short track (outside the two monster epics book-ending the album all other tracks are below the 5 min 30 mark) La Baloune is full of great ambiances with Murray again on woodwinds. Isacaaron is the splendid closing GG-esque track that is giving its all-out effort for the album's personality compared to its debut.

Most classical proghead fans will prefer their debut album, while the fusionhead will enjoy this album, but no matter what both albums are immensely successful and it is a complete shame Sloche will never be able to record a third album. Personally I prefer the debut to this album, mostly on the strength of much more present vocals, which despite their mostly instrumental nature was one of their strength.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#29090) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Review by belz
5 stars 4.8/5.0

If you like Sloche first album (J'un oeil), you will surely enjoy this one. The whole album is marvelous, but the first song (Stadaconé) is probably even more than that. The second the song starts, you know you listen to something "special". The sound is professional, rock-solid, way above much of the music made at that time. In my other review on the band, I talked about some Gentle Giant influences, along with what seems to be some Canterbury jazz-fusion, but I forgot to talk about another very popular group at that time in Québec: Maneige. If you like Maneige (especially Libre- Service, which is in my opinion one of their best album), you will surely like Sloche.

I gave Stadaconé 4.8, slightly below the 4.9 I gave for J'un oeil. Those are clearly very high ratings, but I rest my case: this band is awesome: this is the best jazz-prog band I ever listened to. The music is refreshing, new, and I feel like been on acid while listening to the craziness of this music. I'd like to find better words to explain how great this album is, but the best thing I would recommand is to look for Hughes Chantraine review. He RARELY gives 5 stars, and he gave both Sloche album 5 stars (well for this one he gave 4 stars, but said 4.7, which in my opinion is closer to 5 stars than to 4! ;-) ) Another recommandation would be to get up and go buy this album! You will not regret it!

Send comments to belz (BETA) | Report this review (#65263) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars Second and last release by Québécois quintet Sloceh, Stadaconé signlalled the culmination of a great jazz-related progressive rock career that ended too soon (like so many other cases... fellow Québécois act Et Cetera even released only one album). Stadaconé in many ways follows in the vein of the debut effort J'un Oeil, only this time Sloche chooses to prioritize its jazzy side more noticeably. Influences from return to Forever and Weather Report leave their patent marks in the way that the fivesome channel their compositions through their exquisite performative dynamics and agile arrangements. The melodic ideas are not usually tha tcomplex, but the band's inherent drive to bring colorfulness and muscle to their performances allow the guys to take full advantage of the material's potential. The sonic amalgam tends to be stronger in comparison, but by no means Sloche stops inserting delicious passages on the softer side of things. The rhythm duo reminds me a lot of the Shulman-Weathers scheme that had meant so much for the enhancement of the best GG songs. The long opening instrumental (it lasts 10 minutes) bears a clear hint at the line of work preferentially pursued in the entire album: developments of well-ordained jams, candid melodic bases, evident yet constrained complexity in the various guitar and keyboard solos. One weird moment is the brief passage of orga nand chorale that emulates a Gregorian chant: there is an edge of refined satyre in there, but it is pretty much controlled... don't expect a Zappa extravaganza. The next three tracks continuously reinstate the jazz-oriented drive, which by now has to be quite familiar to the listener. There are especially accentuated funky puntuations in the rhythmic sturcture of 'Ad Hoc'. Track no. 5, entitled 'La 'Baloune' de Varenkurtel au Zythogala', travels trhough serene trends, even solemn. The melodic framework is sweet and evocative, providing a powerful connection with the eerie side of the Canterbury tradition (Gilgamesh, mostly), as well as Happy the Man. The closing track has to be described as a tremendous 11 minute prog apotheosis. It is indeed the most pompous piece in the album, and I am tempted to state that it is Sloche's most accomplished compositional effort. The use of Gentle Giant-ish counterpoints and some Bardens-meets-Watkins powerful keyboard orchestrations assure the presence of a tight lyricism all through the jams. In some passages, I can also notice some relatedness with the peculiar majesty that Yes delivered in their Relayer days. All in all, despite the symphonic tendencies alluded in these specific words, Sloche basically remains loyal to the album's integral prog-jazz direction. In conclusion, Stadaconé is an album full of colors and warmth, created with inventiveness and performed with total finesse, enjoyable all the way. Sloche is a mandatory name in any good prog collection.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#183163) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 21, 2008

4 stars Not as good as their amazing debut in my opinion. I think the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of vocals that really added a special flavour to the debut. All things said though the playing here is flawless.

"Stadacone" opens with a light and bouncey rhythm before it changes a minute in when the guitar arrives. An excellent soundscape 3 minutes in as bass, keys and drums lead the way. Synths come and go. Some rare vocals after 7 minutes with organ then it kicks back in. The song continues to change and I like the organ 9 minutes in. "Le Cosmophile" opens with synths and organ as heavy drums come and go. A change after 1 1/2 minutes as the tempo picks up. It gets a little funky here. Some excellent vocals after 3 minutes. Sax before 4 minutes and organ follows. "Il Fault Sauver Barbara" opens with a catchy rhythm before synths come in. It's back again (the rhythm) until it settles before 2 1/2 minutes then some powerful organ kicks in briefly. Settles again then kicks back in. Well you get the picture. I do like the atmosphere when it settles each time.

"Ad Hoc" is different with the guitar sounding processed at first then becoming normal and leading the way before a minute. Nice bass lines here with atmospheric synths, but it's the guitar that is the focus. "La Balqune De Varenkurtel Au Zythogala" is a pleasant sounding song with synths, keys, drums and bass standing out. "Isacaaron (Ou Le Demon Des Choses Sexuelles)" begins with drums before keys, sax and organ come in. A calm before 1 1/2 minutes then it starts to build. Piano and drums 3 1/2 minutes in lead the way. The sound changes 7 minutes in and i like it. Then we get lots of changes the rest of the way.

The debut was more fun, humerous and free although we get glimpses of these here as well. Great album !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#202345) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Review by snobb
5 stars Second (and last) album of excellent Canadian fusion band. Absolutely unknown band in Europe. This album, besides of Canada, was re-released in Japan only.

Every jazz-rock fusion fan will find on this album all the best this genre invented in mid 70-s. Mostly keyboards driven, music is filled with excellent guitar sound as well. Drumming is jazzy and accented in sound mixing, but it doing a sound even more modern. Hammond sound is on the level of the best prog rock bands of that time, but sound in total are more jazz rock than prog rock.

Compositions all are melodic and played with perfection, common atmosphere is fresh and optimistic (without cheese traces at all). Few songs have pleasant French vocals.

I found this band relatively late, and till now I wonder how so great band stayed so best kept secret for millions of fusion fans almost till now. Differently from some leading bands of its time, music there is well balanced, without soloing and back-up instruments, and for me it is more plus than minus.

One of the best jazz-rock albums from mid 70-s! Absolutely must have for any serious fusion fan.

Really 4,5, rounded to 5.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#272530) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars Sloche's second album is much like its first; once again, the emphasis is mainly on instrumental passages (in fact, there's no vocals at all this time around), the symphonic influences from the debut sound scaled back to me, and the style is once again fusion- oriented. I'm not as thrilled by it as it seems many others are, but I guess everyone has a few bands that they ought to like given their personal tastes but, for whatever reason, just don't "click" with them - Sloche are evidently one of mine. Once again, I won't go below three stars because I can see how others might quite like this album; if you follow the output of the Quebec scene of the late 1970s, you'll probably find it a great pick.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#552694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 19, 2011

4 stars A fine album from this little-known Canadian jazz-fusion outfit. 'Stadacone' is a collection of strong compositions and playing, and while it does get just a bit demonstrative occasionally, it never really degrades to the self-indulgence of ,say, Return to Forever. All band members p ... (read more)

Report this review (#76680) | Posted by Pafnutij | Saturday, April 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars As every french canadian with a babyboomer father who loves prog music, I had this album in my collection. It was a chance, 'cause now most of the Quebec prog-music is burnt into fire or completly forgotten in limbo. What a shame for a so genius musical culture... Thanks for my international fri ... (read more)

Report this review (#68353) | Posted by | Saturday, February 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Sloche was one solid jazz-rock-fusion band from Quebec in the 70's of last century. I haven't heard the first record of them yet (the parcel is already "in transit"). Therefore unfortunately I have no chance to compare what album is better... but in the beginning...maybe it doesn't matter. So ... (read more)

Report this review (#62350) | Posted by Rainer Rein | Friday, December 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SLOCHE "Stadaconé"