DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT: TRANSCENDENCE

Studio Album, released in 2016

1. Truth (4:47)
2. Stormbending (5:22)
3. Failure (6:02)
4. Secret Sciences (7:28)
5. Higher (9:40)
6. Stars (4:18)
7. Transcendence (5:55)
8. Offer Your Light (3:58)
9. From the Heart (8:23)
10. Transdermal Celebration (8:26)

Total time 64:19

Bonus CD from 2016 SE - "Holding Patterns" :
1. Gump (5:24)
2. Celestial Signals (demo) (5:02)
3. Support the Cause (demo) (4:31)
4. Into the Sun (demo) (3:11)
5. Time Overload (demo) (4:00)
6. Lexus (demo) (5:14)
7. Farther On (demo) (2:51)
8. Victim (demo) (3:09)
9. MonkeyMind (demo) (3:52)
10. Canucklehead (demo) (2:09)
11. Loud (3:23)

- Julie Nadalini / chorus vocals
- Marina Bennett / chorus vocals
- Mattias Eklund / sounds

Artwork: Anthony Clarkson

2LP + CD Inside Out Music ‎- IOMLP 462 (2016, Europe) Full album on both media, 2 bonus tracks

CD Inside Out Music ‎- IOMCD 462 (2016, Europe)
2xCD Inside Out Music ‎- IOMSECD 462 (2016, Europe) Bonus disc including mainly demos

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

DEVIN TOWNSEND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
DeconstructionDeconstruction
Accelerated EvolutionAccelerated Evolution
Imports 2010
Ziltoid the OmniscientZiltoid the Omniscient
Imports 2010

Devin Townsend Transcendence CD 2 Disc Deluxe Edition Progressive Metal Project USD $15.01 Buy It Now 1 day
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence GQCS-90203 CD JAPAN 2016 NEW USD $56.59 Buy It Now 1 day
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - official Transcendence US tour T-shirt - Medium - NEW USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.03 Buy It Now
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - official Transcendence US tour Girls T-shirt - L - NEW USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.03 Buy It Now
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence - UK CD album 2016 USD $17.36 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT TRANSCENDENCE * NEW VINYL RECORD USD $31.27 Buy It Now 3 days
Transcendence [Bonus Disc] [Digipak] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (C USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Transcendence - DIGI 2CD (InsideOut 2016) USD $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CD DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT "TRANSCENDENCE. STANDARD CD JEWELCASE". New and sealed USD $12.06 Buy It Now 6 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-TRANSCENDENCE-JAPAN CD Bonus Track F56 USD $25.50 Buy It Now 6 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence + 3 JAPAN CD Steve Vai Strapping Young Lad USD $25.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence [CD] USD $16.81 Buy It Now 7 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence (NEW CD) USD $15.69 Buy It Now 9 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Transcendence USD $10.98 Buy It Now 10 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence +3 JAPAN 2CD Steve Vai Strapping Young Lad USD $31.80 Buy It Now 11 days
DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND - TRANSCENDENCE 2 CD NEW+ USD $26.46 Buy It Now 11 days
DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND - TRANSCENDENCE CD NEW+ USD $22.50 Buy It Now 11 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.95 Buy It Now 12 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE NEW CD USD $17.29 Buy It Now 12 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence GQCS-90201~2 CD JAPAN 2016 NEW USD $65.39 Buy It Now 12 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence with Bonus Tracks JAPAN CD USD $26.80 Buy It Now 14 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence with Bonus Tracks JAPAN 2 CD EDITION USD $32.80 Buy It Now 15 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT TRANSCENDENCE 2 CD DIGIPAK NEW USD $25.79 Buy It Now 15 days
TAIWAN OBI 2-CD: Devin Townsend Project Transcendence - Deluxe Edition (2016) USD $25.68 Buy It Now 16 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT CD - TRANSCENDENCE [2CD DELUXE EDITION](2016) - NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 17 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT CD - TRANSCENDENCE (2016) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK USD $13.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Transcendence [9/9] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (CD, Sep-2016,... USD $8.75 Buy It Now 18 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence 2 x LP 180 Gram BLACK Vinyl + CD - NEW USD $39.99 Buy It Now 19 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $22.82 Buy It Now 20 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE NEW CD USD $26.26 Buy It Now 20 days
Transcendence [Bonus Disc] [Digipak] by Devin Townsend Project (2CD, Sep-2016) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 21 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE [BONUS DISC] [DIGIPAK] USE USD $9.49 Buy It Now 21 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $12.23 Buy It Now 21 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE [BONUS DISC] [DIGIPAK] NEW USD $10.93 Buy It Now 21 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND/DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - TRANSCENDENCE NEW CD USD $13.91 Buy It Now 21 days
Devin Townsend Project BRAND NEW SEALED 2CD DELUXE Transcendence* Prog Metal USD $19.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Transcendence by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (180g LTD. Red Vinyl,2LP) USD $109.75 Buy It Now 22 days
Transcendence [Bonus Disc] [Digipak] by Devin Townsend Project (CD, Sep-2016) USD $15.99 Buy It Now 24 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Transcendence DCD #105860 USD $22.56 Buy It Now 26 days
Transcendence [Bonus Disc] [Digipak] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project... USD $8.00 Buy It Now 27 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence 2 x LP 180 Gram Silver Colored Vinyl + CD USD $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Devin Townsend Project ?- Transcendence CD NEW USD $12.97 Buy It Now 27 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-TRANSCENDENCE -JAPAN CD Bonus Track Ltd/Ed G88 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 28 days
NEW DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence Taiwan 2 CD w/OBI 2016 Steve Vai USD $26.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy DEVIN TOWNSEND music online Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence ratings distribution

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
2 stars Sounds like Devy. Feels like Devy. It is Devy! No matter how many times I hear pleas of Devin Townsend's "variation" and "eclectic" or "chameleonic" sound experimentations I always hear . . . Devin Townsend. With each song, on each album I struggle to hear Devy's murky though often beautiful vocals (and interesting lyrics) among the ubiquitous walls of guitar sound--or else I'm faced with his screaming approach which always makes me wonder why he has to scream: Is his screaming so necessary for the effective delivery of his subject matter? This album is, to my ears, no different. The songs' chord progressions are as constant and monotonous as ever. The existence of any other instrument other than guitar (and drums) is, as usual, completely drowned out (by the guitars). (And people actually like this!) I don't get it. With each song I open my ears, my mind, my heart--I find myself thinking, "This has been getting great reviews--great praise--maybe this is the album that will turn me," or "This might turn out to be great!" or "This might get better" or "He's singing about something important" or "He's so intelligent!" but each time I am only let down; each time I find that I'm just making excuses. "Other people love this so I must be missing something! What is it? What is the key to accessing the joy, love, admiration, and respect for Devin Townsend's music?" 'cuz, try as I do--over and over and over again--I'm not getting it. If I were writing songs to accompany these lyrical messages I would be choosing music of a very different nature. If I were singing the lyrics of these relevant and 'important' messages that I want to get out to large audiences I would not be choosing such an abrasive delivery style. But that's just me. People also go to great lengths to extoll the engineering and production of Devin's albums. I'm just not sure how the delivery of song after song of hazy, murky, fuzzy, affrontery constitutes great production. As I've mused before: I wonder what happens to water molecules (Emoto), plants (Thomkins and Bird), and human brains (Tomatis, Monroe, Gass, et al.) with repeated or constant exposure to this type of music. Another album gets dumped into my "Devin Townsend--try again later" pile . . . . Maybe someday I'll get it. After all, I finally got Gentle Giant! (... after 35 years)
Review by FragileKings
3 stars "Transcendence" is the seventh installment in the Devin Townsend Project discography and was released earlier this month. After a highly prolific release period from 2009 to 2014, which included the original four DTP albums, a live album, a box set of the four albums and live album and two discs of bonus material, a fifth DTP album "Epicloud", the Casualties of Cool album that had a special edition with an extra disc of bonus material, and the double album of DTP's "Sky Blue" and the Ziltoid sequel "Zed Squared", Devin Townsend prepared for a live performance of Ziltoid at the Albert Hall and then took a much-needed rest. On his web site he wrote that he had several ideas brewing for new albums including a project where he would play only bass guitar and another project that would include an Icelandic choir among other things. No matter what was to come, no one could be sure exactly what the Mad Man of Metal was going to do next, especially after surprise albums like "Ki", "Ghost" and "Casualties of Cool" which were so different from his more established, very loud wall of sound, aggressive pop metal approach.

At first I was a little disappointed with this album because it was exactly another installment in the very loud wall of sound aggressive pop metal approach. As we've heard on albums like "Terria", "Infinity", "Epicloud" and even "Zed Squared", Devin and the band play loud and layered heavy guitar music with a triad of screamed vocals that could make a poltergeist crap itself, soaring operatic vocals, and gentle vocals that could put a cranky baby to sleep. Guest vocalist Anneke Van Giersbergen, a regular on DTP releases, appears once again, though this time she takes less of a lead role than on "Addicted" and "Sky Blue". The music is generally a blend of aggressive heavy music and variations of adult contemporary progressive pop (by that I mean no bee-bop, bubble gum pop) but all filtered through the concept of overcoming lack of confidence and a tendency toward self-deprecation, hence the title and theme of "Transcendence".

As with "Epicloud" and perhaps even more so with "Sky Blue", the ultra heavy/aggro sound that Devin is known for at times is restrained here and only brought out in special moments that require that angst effect. There's actually a lot of acoustic guitar here compared to the other two albums mentioned above in this paragraph and even when the heavy electric guitars are thundering away it's possible to pick out the strummed acoustic guitar in some tracks. By the end of the album there's a noticeable change in direction toward lighter music with some very pleasing and beautiful moments. Of course, Devin's music often has what I call the audio equivalent of the swimming pool chlorine effect, which is because when I was a kid, after coming out of the pool I could see hazy rainbows around any light sources because of the chlorine in the water. Devin's mixing approach has a hazy, nebulous, echoing cloud of sound around the vocals, keyboards and guitars, and there's no exception here.

As I stated earlier, I was originally disappointed and that was because I had been expecting possibly hearing something really new and refreshing instead of what I quickly concluded was part three in the trilogy of "new" DTP albums that includes "Epicloud" and "Sky Blue". Remember that the original concept of the Devin Townsend Project was to release four distinctly different albums which is what we got with "Addicted", "Ki", "Deconstruction", and "Ghost". These latter three follow a more similar formula which could be considered the Devin Townsend style of the 2010's. However, after the third and fourth listen through, I found myself enjoying this new album more. It also made me want to go back and listen to a variety of songs from Devin's catalogue and I listened to a 58-song mixed playlist that also included songs from his other band, the defunct extreme metal outfit Strapping Young Lad. Thinking about it now, "Transcendence" is very much a Devin Townsend album.

I bought the special edition with a bonus disc called "Holding Patterns" which features two additional completed tracks and a bunch of demos which actually sound good enough to not be called demos (Devin says that demos are prepared ready to hear as they should sound though the songs might still undergo some changes in the mixing before growing out of their demo status). While the songs on "Transcendence" are meant to be based on deeper and more profound notions, the tracks on the bonus disc are a variety of moods including high-speed, aggro metal, pop metal, a song resembling a dance remix of an eighties dance rock song done in DTP style, and a classic rock and roll song with piano but also done in the wall-of-sound, in-your-face style of DTP. There's also an instrumental featuring Devin's lead guitar playing, which is actually very good but he downplays it in the album notes.

Fans of Devin will have nothing to complain about here. It's yet another solid album. Newcomers will be alright to hear this album first, though I personally would recommend starting with "Terria" and "Synchestra". I have been wavering about the star rating, unsure of whether to award four stars or three. I would choose either depending on my feeling at the time of listening to the album. For today, I will give it only three stars simply because I don't feel Devin has given us anything really new. For someone who really has tried to stretch out and create his own distinct concoctions of music, this album is in a way an easy approach for him to follow.

Incidentally, the Japanese edition comes with three additional demo tracks, and I was very tempted to pay the extra 1,000 yen to get them. I really wanted to hear the song called "Sophie's Boobies". But economy and reason got the better of me and I just bought the regular double-disc edition.

Review by Negoba
3 stars More Focused but Still Searching

I love Devin Townsend. He has been my favorite artist for some years now, to the point that my children wear his t- shirts around the house casually. I've given him a number of 5 star reviews. I've seen him live, hmmm, old men have a tough time counting. Most recent concert was in support of TRANSCENDENCE and it was an amazing night.

However, things have been slowly stagnating in Devland for awhile. Most of the newer albums contain scattered glimpses of brilliance with too much good but typical Devy. While the creative well was very very deep, I see less and less new coming from my favorite artist. The prime example of this is his choice to re-record old classics, which actually worked with "Hyperdrive" on ADDICTED due to Annike's new vocals, and to a degree on EPICLOUD's "Kingdom" due to vastly improved production.

But on TRANSCEDENCE, Devy opens with a remade version of INFINITY's "Truth" and completely sucks the life out of it. While the layers are thicker, the sounds more refined, and the sound clearly more polished, the emotion and dynamic impact of the song is dim in comparison. Listen to the two "Alleluia" sections side by side to hear this most obviously. The song is phenomenal, but this version is a shining example of what should have been a bonus track instead of the album lead. Similarly, the cover of Ween's "Transdermal Celebration" just lacks the emotional impact - though I appreciate being introduced to a great song, check out the original if you haven't.

Luckily, there is some spark in this album. "Stormbending," while clearly prototypical Devy, hits the vast space-metal vibe that I love, which is enhanced by it trippy video, and has a fun tapping solo by guitarist Dave Young. "Time is a human construct" should have been the opening line of the album. The lead single "Failure" did not blow me away on first listen, but with a few spins I've come to really appreciate its depth. It highlights how much Devy's already range-y voice has improved substantially over the last decade, and his wah-solo is one of his best. The syncopated riff was awesome live. "Secret Sciences" is a mixed bag moving from elements of 80's power ballad to symphonic quirkiness - ok but not my fave from the album. "Higher" and the title track follow the lead of "Stormbending" - very strong examples of the Devy sound but familiar. "Stars" and "Offer Your Light" fill the now requisite ballad and power-pop slots on the album. "From the Heart" is actually two songs stuck together - another power ballad, and then a New Age exploration which is pleasant enough.

Unlike Z2, TRANSCENDENCE holds together quite well. The flow of the album's high and lows works well. Dev says that he allowed more songwriting input from his band mates and I believe that the performances of the band members benefit from this. The bonus tracks are worth a listen, with "Into the Sun" clearly alluding to Strapping Young Lad days, and "Monkey Mind" representing Dev playing around in the Guitar Hero playground.

Overall, this is exactly what it is - the product of a marvelously talented musician, having honed his craft to a unique signature sound but also having slipped into middle age and struggling to find inspiration. Old fans like me will keep buying and attending concerts, but also reaching for our INFINITY records.

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars Townsend's 10-year streak of winning output continues with Transcendence, an album that, while somewhat lacking the artist's usual stamp of creativity and ambition, is never the less a worthy purchase for fans. This release sees Devin continuing in the niche that he's sort of created for himself--ultra modern, highly produced, dynamic, electric, and powerfully emotive prog-metal.

Taken by itself, I don't have any serious criticism for this album. Townsend is a consummate musician and songwriter. The layers of nuance are thick on each song of Transcendence, each song being a sort of standalone mini-epic. You'll be roused, smashed to pieces, left to drift back to consciousness, only lifted up through prog-metal catharsis that is uniquely Townsend and uniquely excellent. "Failure" especially stands out as a highlight throughout Devin's library; it's a showcase of his massive guitar sound, powerfully minimalist and effective lyrics, and sense of pacing.

As a serious fan of Townsend's music, I do have a few quibbles though. At this point Devin feels like he's coasting. These mini-epics that I describe don't flow well, and the album itself doesn't encapsulate a sonic narrative the way his previous works have. That, combined with predictability of the work, make Transcendence a 3-star release. It's hard to argue that Townsend is anything other than a top performer in the genre, but I think most will agree that this album represents him playing it safe.

In the end, I'm very thankful for artists like Townsend, who have given us a staggering large amount of excellent music. Few reading this will find anything in Transcendence that turns them off to the experience, and maybe some will find it as a gateway into Devin's excellent prog-metal output. The rest of us will eagerly await what crazy thing he comes up with next ... although maybe after a brief hiatus to recharge his inspiration.

Songwriting: 3 - Instrumental Performances: 4 - Lyrics/Vocals: 3 - Style/Emotion/Replay: 2

3 stars I'm not sure how I feel about it on this album, but then Dev has his own sound and if you're after more of the same or more from the early days then at least the first half is definitely for you. There is ultimately no doubting the genius that is Devin Townsend. I however keep getting sucked i ... (read more)

Report this review (#1612382) | Posted by RainingStigmata | Sunday, September 18, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is another excellent release by Devin Townsend. He can create a wall of sound like NO ONE else. His unique signature sound is all over Transcendence, and it just has a nice flow from track to track to keep the listener interested. He has consistently produced one high quality release after a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1611406) | Posted by javajeff | Wednesday, September 14, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow. This is good. Real good. Devin is back to his best. The dynamic range and wall of sounds that we all love. This by far the best drumming on any album. It is epic. The guitars are back with some sneaky solos. 1. Truth - Great remake. Its wider. The angelic vocals. It is beautiful. 2. Stor ... (read more)

Report this review (#1600588) | Posted by keriboi | Wednesday, August 24, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEVIN TOWNSEND "Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence"