METAL FATIGUE

Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

1. Metal Fatigue (4:54)
2. Home (5:29)
3. Devil Take the Hindmost (5:33)
4. Panic Station (3:31)
5. The Un-Merry-Go-Round (14:06)
6. In the Mystery (3:49)

Search ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue lyrics

Search ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue tabs

- Allan Holdsworth / guitar
- Jimmy Johnson / bass (1-4,6)
- Chad Wackerman / drums (1-4)
- Gary Willis / bass (5)
- Alan Pasqua / keyboards (5)
- Gary Husband / drums (5)
- Paul Korda / vocals (6)
- Paul Williams / vocals (3)
- Mac Hine / drums (6)

Lp: WEA Records P-13098 / Lp: Enigma Records 2002 / Cd: Enigma CDE 72562

and to Bj-1 for the last updates

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue Music

Favored Nations 2003
Road GamesRoad Games
Belle Antique 2009
Audio CD$19.99 (used)
Jon St. James Fast Impressions Vinyl LP Stacey Q Allan Holdsworth Enigma 3214-1 US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Allan Holdsworth Gordon Beck The Things You See Vinyl LP 1980 JMS 09 US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Velvet Darkness ISRAEL ISRAELI LP Gong Guitar Fusion Prog Psych US $29.00 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Allan Holdsworth: Velvet Darkness (MINT- 1st CTI Prog Jazz Fusion Lp) Van Gelder US $29.00 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Allan Holdsworth - None Too Soon [CD New] US $15.65 Buy It Now 14h 41m
U.K. SELF TITLED S/T BILL BRUFORD YES KING CRIMSON ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ASIA PROG US $4.51 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Tony Williams * Lifetime *(CD 1992) original Columbia/Legacy * Allan Holdsworth US $8.55 Buy It Now 16h 17m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ATAVACHRON LP US $16.00 Buy It Now 18h 17m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-BLUES FOR TONY-JAPAN 2 MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed H40 zd US $38.50 Buy It Now 20h 46m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-THEN!-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 20h 53m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-ATAVACRON-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 21h 21m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SAND-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 21h 39m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - NONE TOO SOON (IMPORT) NEW CD US $27.62 Buy It Now 23h 57m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - NONE TOO SOON [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Allan Holdsworth - Flat Tire-Music For A Non-Existent Movie [CD New] US $14.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Gordon Beck Allan Holdsworth Sunbird Vinyl LP 1979 Import France US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Allan Holdsworth Quartet: Live in Japan, 1985 - Allan Holdsworth Quartet - Aud.. US $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
EX-/EX- !! Allan Holdsworth/Secrets/1989 Intima LP US $36.62 Buy It Now 1 day
EX/EX !! Allan Holdsworth/Velvet Darkness/1976 CTI Gatefold LP US $36.62 Buy It Now 1 day
TEMPEST S/T LP JON HISEMAN COLOSSEUM ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN STEVENS "CONVERSATION PIECE" ALLAN HOLDSWORTH PROG JAZZ 1977 RARE HTF US $6.99 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth ?The Sixteen Men Of Tain Japan CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-ROAD GAMES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Allan Holdsworth - Atavachron US $12.00 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth - IOU US $12.00 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue US $12.00 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-I?O?U-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-METAL FATIGUE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - NONE TOO SOON NEW CD US $23.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Sand, Allan Holdsworth, New US $35.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Anders & Jens Johansson Allan Holdsworth Heavy Machinery Japan CD PCCY-01119 US $69.80 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH- 7" FLEXI Soundpage Guitar Player Magazine FEBRUARY 1985 US $0.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH IOU LP PRIVATE JAZZ IOU RECORDS 1982 US $9.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Hard Hat Area [Digipak] by Allan Holdsworth (CD, Mar-2012, MoonJune Records) US $11.65 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - FLAT TIRE: MUSIC FOR A NON-EXISTENT MOVIE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Allan Holdsworth "Sand" NM Relativity Lp 88561-8152 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Allan Holdsworth - Sand Vinyl LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH: Atavachron LP (small toc, promo stamp on cover, slight corner US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH: Metal Fatigue LP Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH**FLATTIRE: MUSIC FOR A NON-EXISTENT MOVIE (DIGI)**CD US $12.58 Buy It Now 2 days
None Too Soon/Allan Holdsworth/U.K./Soft Machine/newcd. US $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - "Road Games" Mini LP 1983 1st US PROMO (6 Tracks) US $22.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Allan Holdsworth Poster: All Night Wrong at Pit Inn Night Club (Roppongi, Japan) US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Allan Holdsworth . Road Games Lp US $5.00 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue - NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH i.o.u. LP BRITISH prog.rock ORIG US RED lab pr KING CRIMSON US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue LP BRIT prog.rock ORIG US pr KING CRIMSON NMint- US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue LP BRITISH prog.rock ORIG US pr KING CRIMSON US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH i.o.u. LP BRITISH prog.rock ORIG AH BEIGE lab pr KING CRIMSON US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron LP BRITISH prog.rock ORIG US pr KING CRIMSON US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Velvet Darkness LP BRITISH prog.rock ORIG US CREED TAYLOR !! pr US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
JEAN PIERRE ALARCEN TABLEAU NO.1 1988 Allan Holdsworth ENID MICHAEL HOENIG US $7.07 [1 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - ATAVACHRON - ENIGMA ST-73203 US $5.99 [0 bids]
IAN CARR & NUCLEUS Solar Plexus/Belladonna. BGO 2CD Allan Holdsworth Gordon Beck US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth~Devil Take The Hindmost~Unplayed 1985 Guitar Player Soundpage US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TONY WILLIAMS Million Dollar Legs Allan Holdsworth LP US $14.97 Buy It Now 3 days
(CD) Allan Holdsworth / Gordon Beck - With A Heart In My Song / Japan / JMS044-2 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Rare Allan Holdsworth, i.o.u. On Enigma Label US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wardenclyffe Tower by Allan Holdsworth (CD, Jul-1993, Restless Records (USA)) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Road Games LP 1983 NM US $16.79 Buy It Now 3 days
U.K. self-titled LP 1978 VG+ Allan Holdsworth US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
All Night Wrong - Allan Holdsworth New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.36 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth JAPAN 7 titles Mini LP SHM-CD SS + PROMO BOX SET US $269.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - Metal Fatigue LP (1st US Pressing on ENIGMA) MINT- US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - I.O.U. LP (RARE US Pressing) MINT- US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth "Velvet Darkness" Original Promo LP Gatefold Near Mint CTI US $18.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Truth in Shredding by Mark Varney Project/Allan Holdsworth/MVP (01~Mark... US $19.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Road Games BRIT prog.rock ORIG US pr KING CRIMSON US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
I.O.U. Band Live by Allan Holdsworth (CD, Apr-1997, Cleopatra) US $25.95 Buy It Now 3 days
KROKUS-Change Of Address JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Allan Holdsworth Alice Cooper US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth DiMarzio Guitar Pickups 1978 repro poster A5 size US $24.95 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & FRIENDS Igginbottoms Wrench US $27.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH None Too Soon US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Sand US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & GORDON BECK With A Heart In My Song US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Jean-Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean NM UK LP Allan Holdsworth Daryl Stuermer US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Then! Live In Tokyo DIGIPAK Import US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH All Night Wrong US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Hard Hat Area US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Secrets US $18.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-NONE TOO SOON-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-HARD HAT AREA-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-THE SIXTEEN MEN OF TAIN +2-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Hard Hat Area by Allan Holdsworth (CD, Feb-1994, Restless Records RARE OOP US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH metal fatigue LP EX original 1985 enigma 72002-1 shrink sticker US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-'IGGINBOTTOM'S WRENCH-JAPAN CD MINI LP + OBI-MINT CONDITION US $47.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SECRETS-JAPAN CD MINI LP + OBI-MINT CONDITION US $47.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Atavachron by Allan Holdsworth vg++/vg+ Enigma LP Jazz US $14.95 Buy It Now 4 days
BRUFORD-ONE OF A KIND 1979 POLYDOR RECORDS LP PD-1-6205 EX. VG+ ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-"METAL FATIGUE" 1985 ISSUE LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ~ "Velvet Darkness" (CTI) UK 1976 - ORIGINAL! US $5.33 [2 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH**HARD HAT AREA (REMASTERED)**CD US $13.64 Buy It Now 4 days
TONY WILLIAMS Million Dollar Legs w/ Allan Holdsworth jazz fusion Mint lp US $12.76 [0 bids]
Sealed! TONY WILLIAMS Million Dollar Legs JAPAN CD SRCS 9388 Allan Holdsworth US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Soft Machine Bundles Japan CD Allan Holdsworth US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Allan Holdsworth None Too Soon Japan CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Allan Holdsworth Gordon Beck With a Heart in My Song Japan CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-FLAT TIRE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SECRETS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH music online Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ALLAN HOLDSWORTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue ratings distribution

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
5 stars This is the disc I play for those wanting to hear Allan's music for the first time. He still has a rock feel on this disc. It contains the most cited work for guitarists of the shredder variety, "Devil take the Hindmost." Truly a classic that defies time. Nearly twenty years after it was first released, it still holds as a monolithic moment in guitar history. "Home" is one of the few Holdsworth recordings of Allan's acoustic abilities. Beautiful. "The Un-Merry-Go-Round" is a three part opus, with a drum solo, beautiful chordal work and inspirational soloing. "In the Mystery" closes the album with Paul Korda on vocal. Drummer Mac Hine,(machine), makes a few appearances but Gary Husband and Chad Wackerman share the drumming duites. Jimmy Johnson, Flim, lays down some serious bottom and takes a few timely solos. Hearing this, you'll understand why Allan was requested to play on so many artists recording. One word, "Unique."

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#29418) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 09, 2004

Review by hdfisch
4 stars Edited 10/6/2005!

I felt an urgent need to change my review and rating for this album after my taste had adapted to the kind of music offered here. I think this one was the first solo album from this top jazz guitarist I listened to and admittedly I was not that much fascinated by it after first spin (shame on me!). Up to that moment I have been more familiar with his stuff he did with UK and Soft Machine, which I liked very much. But meanwhile I listened to most of his solo works and not to a least part I'm very grateful to Dan to provide an excellent introduction to Allen Holdsworth's musical world. Coming back to "Metal Fatigue" as I said before I found it a bit weak in the beginning, maybe because I was more into the hard-edged rocking end of the jazz fusion spectrum. And of course this album here is anything else than that, rather it is a fine piece of art consisting of six excellent compositions played in a very soulful manner not only by Allen Holdsworth but by all musicians. And now I can just agree to all co-reviewers that he still keeps some rock feel here, especially in tracks like the title song, "Devil take the hindmost" (awesome fast and beautiful playing by him) and "The Un-Merry-Go-Round" with an excellent drum solo. These three tracks are the highlights of this record for me. Nevertheless the remaining three ones are excellent ones as well, although I've to say that the vocal parts are not matching that much my favourite style. But regarding the instrumental performance presented here I can only say that it's absolutely flawless, fantastic and top notch. I'm quite sure that I'll listen to this one still many many times and it's very close to become one of my top favourites (at least the instrumental tracks). Certainly worth 4 to 4 stars and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to all lovers of excellent jazz rock fusion!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#29421) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars Have you ever heard Allan Holdsworth before? He is definitely one of very best guitar player even though he is not in the Top 100 guitarists as per Guitar World magazine version. He first came to our attention on an album by violinist Jean Luc Ponty. As you might be aware that Ponty takes most of the spotlight on his albums, Holdsworth was given his guitar solo room worth listening for. For sure he has a very unique guitar-playing style. He has been everywhere; starting his career at young age, from Tempest to Tony Williams' Lifetime, Gong, Jean-Luc Ponty, Gordon Beck, Jack Bruce, Bill Bruford, UK and Soft Machine. I was not quite sure when I heard his guitar playing at first time - it's probably when he joined Bill Bruford with "One of A Kind" album. After that, I chased whatever album he contributed as I really like his guitar playing style. In the mid- 1970s, he began showing some solo albums with "Velvet Darkness", "I.O.U" and "Road Games".

On "Metal fatigue" album, Holdsworth still seems content to hide behind the band and not venture too play dominantly at front. Exception is on "Devil Take the Hindmost." Where he really demonstrates his virtuosity and takes overall control, playing chord by chord painstakingly fast. Elsewhere in the album, Holdsworth typically does not want to appear so obvious including on a track dedicated to his father through "The Un-Merry-Round". The keyboardist Alan Pasqua takes care most of the leads and most of the solos. Through this album Holdsworth proves that the composition is really great and the music is mostly jazz- rock fusion in style.

In conclusion, this album is a must for those who love guitar virtuoso, jazz rock fusion fans, or for those who are interested in observing how far the limits of guitar playing can be stretched. I've never heard another guitarists like Holdsworth. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43404) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2005

Review by Bj-1
5 stars One of the Jazz-Rock/Fusion genre's highlights if you ask me!

"Metal Fatigue" was released back in 1985 and still sounds great after all these years. Great guitar techniques and solo's backed up by excellent instrumentation works from drummer Chad Wackerman and bassist Gary Willis, to name a few. A very moody album, with an overall light and cheerful feeling to it, though the music is also serious and complex at the same time. The compositions are solid and creative with great playing throughout. Holdsworth's guitar is not too dominant, but his solo's are especially notable throughout and the keyboards featured on this album adds a colorful and dreamy atmosphere that suits the elegant, yet appealing music extremely well. The production is clear and gives you all those details in a perfectly fine way. The only bad thing about this album is the painfully short playing-time at 37 minutes. It should have been at least 10 minutes longer, hehe! Sadly, it's not, but that doesn't stop me from giving this album 5 stars!

Overall, a colorful and interesting Jazz-Fusion release with clear 80's influences, but that does not drag this album down. Not in the slightest! Jazz-Rock and/or Holdsworth fans should definetly not miss this one at all costs. I'll give this one a perfect 5 star, or at least 4.5 stars!

Song highlights: "Metal Fatigue", "Devil Take the Hindmost" and "The Un-Merry Go Round". The rest is excellent as well, though "Panic Station" and "In The Mystery" might not appeal to everyone. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#88428) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 29, 2006

4 stars Believe it or not it took me two years to finally get my hands on this record. And as they say, it was worth the wait. True story though about waiting that long for it as I had ordered it from HMV and as the months went by I just assumed because it was out of print they couldn't get it and forgot all about it. Then two years later I get a call from them saying a cd I had ordered was in called "Metal Fatigue". I was shocked and oh so happy !

The title track is an excellent way to start the record, with a unique sounding riff that comes and goes throughout the song, actually the guitar playing is a pleasure to these ears all through this tune, and the drummer can really play too ! "Home" is a change of pace, with delicate acoustic gutar. "Devil Take The Hindmost" is where Allan Holdsworth shows us all that he can shred with the best in the world, an amazing display of virtuosity that makes this one of his signiture songs.

"Panic Station" and the final song "In The Mysterious" are both ok songs that don't do a lot for me. But "The Un- Merry-Go-Round" makes up for them both. This tune features lots of tempo changes and an interesting and different sounding guitar melody. The drums almost outshine the guitar on this track, an incredible performance ! There is actually a spacey passage as well.

Overall I would say four of the six tracks are excellent compositions with two being so-so. A solid four stars, and I hope those trying to purchase this great album won't have as hard a time as I did in finding it.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#99157) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 16, 2006

Review by b_olariu
4 stars Among the best Holdsworth album, if not the best, with some of the top musicians of that time on it, like this i describe at the first impression the album Metal fatigue. A jazz album with a rock touch, but very efficient and well played. Because is one of my fav albums of jazz i consider to be a 4 star album, maybe not so great like '70 jazz music but for sure a good one of the '80. Talking about the music, the "Devil take the Hindmost" truly a classic that defies time. "Home" is one of the few Holdsworth recordings of Allan's acoustic abilities. Beautiful. "The Un-Merry-Go-Round" is a three part opus, with a drum solo, beautiful chordal work and inspirational soloing, great track and complex enough to catch the auditorium of jazz. One of my fav jazz albums, still good after all thy years, but i don't consider a masterpiece,only a 4 star album, because the jazz of the '70 is unmatch.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#125383) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 11, 2007

Review by 1800iareyay
4 stars I got into Allan Holdsworth after listening to his incredible performance on Bill Bruford's album One of a Kind. Wanting to hear more, I picked up Metal Fatigue. Metal Fatigue is a very strong album featuring Holdsworth with a host of talented guests as he takes the fiery jazz guitar of John McLaughlin and marries it to a slow-burning emotion that recalls blues guitar. The result is a classic of fusion and an album that any fan of guitar must hear.

The album opens with churning title track. Holdsworth demonstrates how the whammy bar should be used. Most guitarists simply use the whammy bar to accentuate a chord. Allan uses it as he picks, slowly bending every note through a stomach twisting labyrinth. The song has some overt pop sensibilities that somehow work next to this highly original guitar playing, and the song flows quite smoothly despite the complex technique used. Home is one of the all too rare demonstrations of Allan's acoustic playing. It is a lovely instrumental that takes all the harmonics on display in the first track and strips the effects away, leaving an even more beautiful song. Devil Take the Hindmost is where Allan really lets loose and proves that he will always be among the pantheon of fusion guitarists. As good as this is, Holdsworth follows it up with the stunning epic The Un-Merry-Go-Round, a three part suite that shows off everyone. It has keyboard flourishes, beautiful yet impossibly complex guitar melodies, and a killer drum solo. This stands as one of the pinnacles of fusion songwriting.

Sadly, the album has its pitfalls. Panic Station comes off as synth-pop, but it is synth pop in the manner of Rush, meaning it is highly complex and still highly enjoyable. It simply fails to keep the fusion flag aloft. However, the solo is killer, which redeems th song somewhat. The closer, In the Mystery, is like Panic Station, only it lacks the enjoyability of the former. It has no hooks, solos, or anything else to distinguish it from average pop.

Despite two flawed tracks, this stands as a must-own for fusion and guitar fans. Following this recording, Allan would begin using the SynthAxe more, resulting in better music but a sacrifice of guitar histrionics. If you like jazz, waste no time in picking this up. Highly recommended.

Grade: B

Send comments to 1800iareyay (BETA) | Report this review (#138971) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I previously knew Allan Holdsworth from Tempest, UK, Bruford and I now also have some other of his solo albums. While UK is very hard to match, Metal Fatigue is definitely one of the best albums I've heard featuring Holdsworth's unique guitar sound.

The best track on Metal Fatigue is the title track, which is great! It has a quite Metal-ish riff, but the vocal melody is more Pop oriented making for an interesting crossover between Pop, Hard Rock and Jazz-Rock. The second track, Home, is a mellow and relaxing affair with beautiful electric and acoustic guitar solos. Holdsworth understands (at least on this album) what I feel that many artists in the Jazz- Rock/Fusion field fails to understand - you don't have to be loaded and complex all the time, it is ok to be subtle too! Indeed, it is often the more subtle and restrained moments that make the complex parts shine. However, I sometimes feel that this album is maybe too subtle at times.

Several moments on Metal Fatigue actually remind me of the Alan Parsons Project! This is both because of the excellent production and particularly on the two tracks Panic Station and In The Mystery, which are shorter Pop/Soft Rock songs in true Alan Parsons style. They fit in very well here, making the album varied.

About half the material on this album is instrumental and half features vocals. There are two different vocalists but they are similar enough to each other to avoid making the album disjointed which is often the case with albums featuring several vocalists (Alan Parsons Project albums are a perfect example of that mistake).

One problem with this album is that it is front loaded. The best tracks are at the beginning and towards the end the least good tracks appear. The 14 minutes plus The-Un-Merry-Go-Round is slightly too long and even features a drum solo, something that I think almost never works on a studio album. Thankfully, the drum solo is reasonably short.

Metal Fatigue is essential for Holdsworth followers, but for the rest of us it is worthy of three (and a half) stars, I think. One of the better albums of the Jazz-Rock/Fusion sub-genre.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#200024) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Review by Flucktrot
2 stars This may be partly due to unmet expectations on my part, but Metal Fatigue just doesn't do it for me. It's short, it doesn't feature much fast or legato playing from Holdsworth, and there aren't many good melodies. It's definitely on the jazzy side, but unfortunately it's the crystal clear, sanitized kind of jazz. If you like a little edge to your fusion--as I tend to--then you are unlikely to be impressed by Metal Fatigue.

Highlight: Devil Take the Hindmost. That's right, one highlight, and no more. Half of the songs are vocal pieces--which is fine, if there are good melodies or a good vocalist or two (neither of which are to be found on Metal Fatigue)--and the rest are relatively meandering pieces where little happens, and if something is happening, it's just one musician getting the spotlight, which means there is little actual fusion taking place.

Fortunately, no fusion is necessary when Holdsworth is cutting it loose, and Devil is that one song on Metal Fatigue. It's fast, it's beautiful, and it's emotional--in other words, that's what I was hoping more of the album would be like.

Metal Fatigue adds to the Holdsworth enigma: Why does someone who I enjoy listening to play have to little music that I really want to hear on a regular basis? Maybe I've overestimated playing ability and underestimated songwriting ability in determining who my favorite musicians are at any given moment. Either way, Metal Fatigue leaves much to be desired.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#314238) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review by colorofmoney91
5 stars Metal Fatigue is an album that contains the best guitar-based jazz-fusion that you'll ever hear. Allan Holdsworth has his own voice on the guitar, and he always lets it show up front.

As with a few other Holdsworth albums, this album contains occasional vocals, and they always drag the listening experience down a bit for me. However, the musicianship on this album redeems completely. Again, as with his other albums, Holdsworth's phrasing on the guitar is impeccable and far beyond what I've heard countless other jazz guitarists play, except maybe Joe Pass, but obviously Pass was acoustic and less experimental.

This album is the ultimate starter-point for beginning Allan Holdsworth fans. In addition to his unique and easily identifiable jazz tone, there are some rock moments here (Metal Fatigue, Panic Station, In the Mystery) but they are unimportant. What's important here is the improv and overall composition.

The ultimate stand out piece on this incredible album is the 14 minute "The Un-Merry-Go- Round". This track changes textures, moods, and styles throughout its duration. This is undoubtedly the most interesting and dark track on this album, but manages to stay dark while changing from happy to sad, from cold to hot. Notes often drone in and out of complete silence, only to be responded with a few bars of powerful drumming and fantastically executed bass. There is a fantastic drum solo on this track as well.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#437882) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 22, 2011

4 stars This is a great album and one with very few weaknessess. I am probably in a minority here for being especially attached to Panic Station a song that fuses incredibly inspired guitar and base soloing with a melodic line that just builds and builds. Synth pop it is not by any means. The song is ... (read more)

Report this review (#162512) | Posted by DavinS06 | Sunday, February 24, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is one Jazz/Rocky thing that I won't pass down to say that everyone should listen to, whether your heavy preference of just the usual soft. Allan Holdsworth carries a good melody with this album, and on top of that, a great performance. This old album is complex and full of rythmn with mini ... (read more)

Report this review (#136669) | Posted by Xeroth | Friday, September 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is one of the best releases from '85. This should be considered as highlight of this genre especially for the jazz-rock fusion guitar driven style even if I'm not sure that this is only jazz-rock/fusion because there are a lot of other kind of influences here (new wave or classic). Allan is ... (read more)

Report this review (#126987) | Posted by petrica | Thursday, June 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One thing is for sure... Allan Holdsworth could be the most unique guitarist of all time. His note placement, timing, tone are all incredible. Unfortunetaly for me Im thrown off by the cheesy vocal melodies and lyrics in this album (ie. the track metal fatigue) that tend to detract from the o ... (read more)

Report this review (#109389) | Posted by Quietus | Monday, January 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Though I'm not yet as familiar with the work of Allan Holdsworth as I should be, I can probably say that he is my all-time favourite guitarist. He has it all: flawless technique, outstanding improvisational skills and, most importantly, the ability to create excellent compositions th ... (read more)

Report this review (#71060) | Posted by Pafnutij | Saturday, March 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What an amazing work! It was first the time I heard Allan Holdsworth and I have been blown by his incredible technique. He has his own sound and plays extraterrestrial music. He creates very intersting and unique patterns in his music. I would not compare him to shredders such as Michael Romeo ... (read more)

Report this review (#70541) | Posted by | Sunday, February 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If you've gotta have Allan Holdsworth, you gotta have Metal Fatigue. Don't get scared that only six songs exist on this CD, they are all superb and you'll get one 14 minute track as well. "Panic Station" was the song that got me hooked on Holdsworth. With an incredible guitar AND bass solo, the ... (read more)

Report this review (#58068) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although I can hardly consider myself being a fan or an antifan of anybody (with exception of Tony Levin, who is the best bassplayer ever), I can say that Allan Holdsworth is one of the most interesting musicians I've ever heard. Standing outside any strictly determinate genre he brings many imp ... (read more)

Report this review (#29424) | Posted by KuDo | Sunday, February 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't really care about what that anti-fan review says. Holdsworth's music is not what you reffered to Prog Jazz or whatever. He always puts his mood into his music, and you can't label this album as rock. I'm a Holdsworth's hardcore fan, even I know there are some things done by him that I ... (read more)

Report this review (#29422) | Posted by | Friday, February 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ALLAN HOLDSWORTH "Metal Fatigue"