ATAVACHRON

Allan Holdsworth Atavachron album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Non brewed condiment (3:39)
2. Funnels (6:10)
3. The dominant plague (5:41)
4. Atavachron (4:45)
5. Looking glass (4:31)
6. Mr. Berwell (6:21)
7. All our yesterdays (5:25)

Search ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron lyrics

Search ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron tabs

- Allan Holdsworth / guitar, synthaxe guitar synthesizer
- Billy Childs / keyboards (2-5)
- Gary Husband / drums (1-4-6)
- Jimmy Johnson / bass (1 to 6)
- Rowanne Mark / vocals (7)
- Alan Pasqua / keyboards (3-4-6)
- Chad Wackerman / drums (3-7)
- Tony Williams / drums

Lp: Enigma Records 2064 / Lp/Cd: Enigma 73203

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron Music

None Too SoonNone Too Soon
Moonjune Records 2012
Against The Clock: The Best Of Allan HoldsworthAgainst The Clock: The Best Of Allan Holdsworth
Remastered
Hard Hat AreaHard Hat Area
Moonjune Records 2012
Wardenclyffe TowerWardenclyffe Tower
Restless Records 1992
BILL BRUFORD ~ FEELS GOOD TO ME rare U.S. EGLP YES KING CRIMSON ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $9.99 [0 bids]
30m 59s
Take Your Pick of 3 Allan Holdsworth Vinyl Records With IOU,Sand,Atavachron NM US $13.88 Buy It Now 1h 6m
CORRADO RUSTICI deconstruction of JAPAN CD feat ALLAN HOLDSWORTH PAUL MCCANDLESS US $9.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-FLAT TIRE-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 5h 8m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - Velvet Darkness LP (RARE US Pressing on CTI) MINT- US $33.99 Buy It Now 6h 52m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-Road Games Rare Japan LP w/OBI US $34.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-WARDENCYFFE TOWER +3-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 17h 12m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SECRETS-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 18h 37m
BILL BRUFORD FEELS GOOD TO ME LP YES KING CRIMSON ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $14.00 Buy It Now 19h 24m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - FLAT TIRE: MUSIC FOR A NON-EXISTENT MOVIE NEW CD US $23.82 Buy It Now 20h 44m
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-NONE TOO SOON-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Allan Holdsworth ?- Road Games Rare jazz rock LP US 1983 US $25.00 Buy It Now 22h 39m
TEMPEST (ALLAN HOLDSWORTH) "TEMPEST" ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL JAPAN 1ST ISSUE OBI! US $99.99 Buy It Now 23h 51m
Allan Holdsworth Gordon Beck- With A Song In My Heart (Cassette) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH (TEMPEST, GONG ..) I.O.U. orig 1st press private LP Prog Rock US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Allan Holdsworth ?- Atavachron LP Vinyl Europe 2064-1 US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN STEVENS "CONVERSATION PIECE" ALLAN HOLDSWORTH PROG JAZZ 1977 RARE HTF US $6.99 [0 bids]
Bill Bruford: Master Stokes 1978-1985 EG EGLP 67 Allan Holdsworth US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Allan Holdsworth with I.O.U. LP Metal Fatigue 1985 ENIGMA RECORDS VG++ jazz US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-ATAVACHRON-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 1 day
BILL BRUFORD One Of A Kind ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Winterfold Records SEALED VINYL LP US $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BILL BRUFORD Feels Good To Me ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Winterfold Records SEALED LP US $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SAND-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Allan Holdsworth Secrets NM US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
The Sixteen Men of Tain by Allan Holdsworth US $18.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Atavachron by Allan Holdsworth (CD, 1985, Enigma Records) US $30.56 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH -Road Games ~WB 23959 {nm orig} w/Jeff Berlin, Wackerman - RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Gong - Time is the Key 1979 Japan mini lp cd Pierre Moerlen Allan Holdsworth OOP US $49.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Strange Advance - The Distance Between cd 1988 Allan Holdsworth Randy Bachman US $99.90 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH- 7" FLEXI Soundpage Guitar Player Magazine FEBRUARY 1985 US $0.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SIXTEEN MEN OF TAIN-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH: Road Games LP (mini-LP) Rock & Pop US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH: I.o.u. LP (VG+ cover) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - ATAVACHRON CD 1986 CDE-73203 JAPAN ENIGMA US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Road Games mini LP Wackerman US $8.37 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Private Press Prog IOU lp US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH I.O.U. LP Private Press w/ Order Form In Shrink NM Vinyl US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH "Metal Fatigue" 1985 Enigma LP NM US $18.95 Buy It Now 3 days
GONG - EXPRESSO (LP RECORD ) VG+ 1976 VIRGIN PROMO ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth with I.O.U. LP Metal Fatigue 1985 NM US $8.95 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH SAND VICTOR MUSICAL INDUSTRIED JAPAN CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth Velvet Darkness Japan Orig.LP OBI INSERT NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
U.K. - SAME LP + INNER - John Wetton,Allan Holdsworth,Bill Bruford,Eddie Jobson US $11.59 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth - Road Games - Warner Bros 1983 - OOP - NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Allan Holdsworth - Sand Vinyl LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Road Games 83' JAZZ FUSION Lp RECORD US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Metal Fatigue LP Enigma 72002 1985 1st Vinyl Pressing US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH 1976 CTI GUITAR ROCK JAZZ FUSION LP VELVET DARKNESS / M- US $9.95 Buy It Now 4 days
BILL BRUFORD 1978-1985 MASTER STROKES CD feat: Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Berlin US $3.99 [0 bids]
Hard Hat Area (CD) Allan Holdsworth US $20.50 Buy It Now 4 days
None Too Soon (CD) Allan Holdsworth US $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-BLUES FOR TONY-JAPAN 2 MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed H40 zd US $38.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH SAND JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-THEN!-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-ATAVACRON-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-SAND-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH SESSION touching on CD 4 track. no strip (jicl89130) japanese j US $40.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-ROAD GAMES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Allan Holdsworth Sand Record LP Grade M- Excellent US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-I?O?U-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 5 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-METAL FATIGUE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 5 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - SAND - NEW CD US $17.34 Buy It Now 5 days
STILL SEALED, UNOPENED, NEW LP- -- Allan Holdsworth-- "Road Games" jazz guitar US $10.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - I.O.U. BAND LIVE - NEW CD US $18.92 Buy It Now 5 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - ATAVACHRON - ENIGMA ST-73203 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth ?- I.O.U. US orig' PRIVATE LP 1982 Gong Soft Machine US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Allan Holdsworth - Atavachron Japan orig' Warner-Pioneer LP Gong Soft Machine US $34.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Allan Holdsworth - Sand Japan Japanese orig' Victor LP Gong Soft Machine US $39.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Bruford - One Of A Kind - Editions E.G. - Bill Bruford of Yes + Allan Holdsworth US $8.00 [0 bids]
BRUFORD-ONE OF A KIND 1979 POLYDOR RECORDS LP PD-1-6205 EX. VG+ ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-"METAL FATIGUE" 1985 ISSUE LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Allan Holdsworth - Road Games - Warner Bros 1983 US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Metal Fatigue by Allan Holdsworth (Cassette, Dec-1991, Restless Records (USA)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Wardenclyffe Tower by Allan Holdsworth (Cassette, Jul-1993, Restless Records... US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH VELVET DARKNESS VINYL LP RECORD Mint Unplayed 1976 US $7.99 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ROAD GAMES VINYL LP RECORD Mint Unplayed 1983 US $8.99 [0 bids]
SEALED! Gong- Expresso 2- UK Virgin OVED 65 prog/rock Allan Holdsworth Lp MINT US $14.95 [0 bids]
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH ATAVACHRON JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Allan Holdsworth Velvet Darkness USA vinyl LP album record CTI6068 CTI RECORDS US $47.99 Buy It Now 6 days
BRUFORD Feels Good To Me UK PRESS POLYDOR CLASSIC ROCK Allan Holdsworth VG++/NM- US $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
BRUFORD One Of A Kind VG++/NMINT- 1979 E.G. CLASSIC ROCK LP Allan Holdsworth US $18.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Allan Holdsworth Sand vinyl LP album record Japanese VIL-28085 VICTOR 1987 US $56.28 Buy It Now 6 days
I.O.U. Allan Holdsworth vinyl LP album record USA 72031-1 ENIGMA 1985 US $31.41 Buy It Now 6 days
I.O.U. Allan Holdsworth USA vinyl LP album record AH-100 1982 US $31.41 Buy It Now 6 days
Allan Holdsworth vinyl LP album record Sand Dutch 3293-1 INTIMA RECORDS 1987 US $31.41 Buy It Now 6 days
Allan Holdsworth Artist Series Guitar DVD NEW! US $19.95 Buy It Now 6 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH - I.O.U. (1982) Private METAL HARD ROCK PROG US $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
JEAN - LUC PONTY Enigmatic Ocean '77 8 Track Tape VG+ ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH~~~ROAD GAMES 6 CUT MINI ALBUM PROMO US $6.00 Buy It Now 7 days
U.K. self-titled LP 1978 Polydor EX Allan Holdsworth US $11.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Allan Holdsworth JAPAN 7 titles Mini LP SHM-CD SS + PROMO BOX SET US $269.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DEREK SHERINIAN: Mythology CD NM ALLAN HOLDSWORTH STEVE LUKATHER ZAKK WILDE US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Allan Holdsworth with I.O.U. Metal Fatigue Enigma 72002-1 US LP NM/NM BH US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-HARD HAT AREA-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-THE SIXTEEN MEN OF TAIN +2-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH-NONE TOO SOON-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 7 days
an/ handmade greetings / birthday card ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $9.95 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, Atavachron USA 1st pressing EXCELLENT- LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, Metal Fatigue USA 1st pressing LP US $6.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ALLAN HOLDSWORTH, Metal Fatigue [in shrinkwrap] USA 1st pressing LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH music online Buy ALLAN HOLDSWORTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ALLAN HOLDSWORTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron ratings distribution

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH Atavachron reviews

Review by The Owl
2 stars This is another Holdsy disc I have a devil of a time with, again mainly because it's soooo screamingly synth-drenched and rather dated-sounding in an obnoxiously 1980's sort of way, rather hard on the ears. What doesn't help is the excessively glossy digital production and the over-reliance on digital electronics.

However, there are some good standout tracks like "Funnels" (featuring some beautiful chord-melody work from Allan), the title track and "Looking Glass", a beautifully complex and yet melodic piece featuring Allan's one-time musical employer Tony Williams playing his butt off!

The rest left me very cold though. "Dominant Plague" and "All Our Yesterdays" are definitely HIT THE SKIP BUTTON kind of tracks, suffering from very typical 80's mechanical drone tendencies ("--Plagues") and a rather severe case of disjointedness and lack of clear direction ("All Our Yesterdays"). ""Non Brewed Condiment" fulfills the "barn-burner" function quite nicely, but that obnoxious Synth-Axe makes it so hard to sit through. "Mr Berwell" just seemed to lack any real substance, more like a "going through the motions" neo-symph-prog exercise that just doesn't catch fire.

Thankfully, Allan has done far superior albums to this one, it has its moments but for the first-timer, don't start here!

Send comments to The Owl (BETA) | Report this review (#29425) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars I remember buying this around the same time that Lee Ritenour released "Earth Run." Each disc features a new instrument, the synthaxe, a guitar styled synth controller. "Earth Run" sounded like a guy playing a synth where guitar parts should have been. Atavachron sounds like nothing you've ever heard. I was grabbed right off and played the LP constantly for weeks, until the vinyl began to wear and the pops and clicks became annoying. Atavachron changed the way I listened to Allan Holdsworth and music in general. I had to put away the "Guitar God" image and adopt a view of Allan as a composer. I believe this disc helped me grow as a listener. I had to dig deeper to understand what is being played, to tell the difference between Alan Pasqua's beatiful keyboard and this new contraption, the synthaxe. I found the new instrument to be exciting and unique. Allan was playing flute tones in guitar space. Wow!

On the whole, there is a sameness to the production that can be tiresome, but some of the tunes are still played live, the melodies evolving and fresh. Each piece is a standout to me, except for the last track, which doesn't fit and I regularly skip.

Allan has been working on the remastering of his releases, but some of the master tapes of this disc have been damaged and are beyond repair. A couple of tracks are on the new Best Of: Against the Clock compilation came from this disc. Maybe he'll re-record them, ala, Tokyo Dream? Wouldn't that be great!

This is a landmark album, but be sure to do some homework before you attempt it.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#29427) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars The dominant plague

I enjoy Allan Holdsworth's unique guitar tone, but I honestly cannot enjoy the majority of his solo output very much as he is not a very strong composer and most of his music comes off as just endless "noodling" and unfocused sonic experimentation. Not really my cup of tea at all, I must say. I have always enjoyed Holdsworth best when he was a band player, particularly when he was a member of UK in the late 70's with John Wetton, Eddie Jobson and Bill Bruford. In that group the melodic sensibilities and songwriting skills of Wetton could counterbalance the Jazz-Rock indulgences of Bruford and Holdsworth while the latter two brought an adventurous edge to the former. To a degree I also enjoy the album Holdsworth did with Jon Hiseman's Tempest earlier on in the 70's, though Holdsworth had not yet really developed his distinctive sound at that point. Much more recently, Holdsworth worked with a US-based group called K2 who recorded an excellent Symphonic Prog album in 2005 that featured plenty of his distinctive guitar playing but beneficially restrained by a band environment.

The present album from 1986 was the follow up to Metal Fatigue from the previous year. Metal Fatigue is by far Holdsworth's best solo album and Atavachron is certainly a disappointment in comparison. Indeed, comparing this album to anything else Holdsworth had made up to that point (that I have heard), solo or in different bands, this comes off as rather weak. However, this is also very different in style so maybe it is not fair or even possible to really compare in this way. The present album saw him experimenting with his (in)famous SynthAxe for the first time, an instrument that is a mix between a guitar and a synthesiser and is depicted on the weird cover art picture. This is indeed an interesting instrument and the distinctive sound it produces is appealing in moderate doses.

Atavachron is almost entirely instrumental but the last number features female vocals. In a way this last piece is the most conventional, but at the same time it is perhaps also the most experimental of them all due to a rather strange middle section. I generally prefer the instrumental tracks. In addition to guitars and SynthAxe we find here keyboards, drums and bass played with skill by different people.

Overall, Atavachron is an interesting album but I find it hard to see it as anything over and above a curiosity. It is listenable, partly enjoyable and worthwhile for anyone with a special interest in Holdsworth's experimental Jazz-Rock style. For the average Prog fan, however, this is not really recommended.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#270957) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Review by snobb
2 stars I own almost every Holdsworth's album, and I can declare it's extremely rare if his work sounds boring. Pity to say, but this album is like that. Holdsorth uses there his beloved at that period of time Synth-Axe guitar synthesizer ( half-sax, half-keyboard, half guitar), and he really could play very polyphonic music .

I believe, he was very interested with new sound and new possibilities. This his work is evidence. But main problem is who else is interested in listening this experiments in sounds. For unprepared listener this music sounds as mix of guitar (less) and synthesizer (more) sounds, without melody, structure or any inside logic. When you know all story about Synth-Axe used there, it gives some additional attraction. But even in that case you will be very soon bored by not very usual guitar sounds, but sounding without special sense.

Possibly, could be interesting for musicians, some heavy fans, but generally it is one of weakest Holdsworth albums ever.

Two and half.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#273801) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars I don't understand the hate, or at least disdain directed at this album. Is it the incredible nerdiness of the cover, which has a painting depicting Allan Holdsworth in a Star Trek-like uniform, holding his new toy, a Synthaxe MIDI controller? It can't be the music, which is similar in structure to most of Holdsworth's releases, and as usually, expertly performed.

I'll admit, I have to be in the right mood to listen to a Holdsworth album. His compositional style, which consists of chords that sometimes sound strung together in random fashion, is demanding for the listener, and if you are not in the correct frame of mind, often tedious.

Nonetheless, if you have the energy to follow the songs, it can be quite rewarding. Holdsworth's songs take you where no other guitarist goes, and his fluid soloing over difficult to master chord progressions is just amazing.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#514246) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 04, 2011

3 stars This is the first of Holdsworth' albums where he makes an extensive use of the SynthAxe, a guitar synthesizer. Allan does play guitar on this album as well, but the ephasis lies on the SynthAxe. Since a SynthAxe sounds more like a synthesizer than like a guitar, and since keyboards, played by Al ... (read more)

Report this review (#191130) | Posted by Moogtron III | Sunday, November 30, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Owl could not be more wrong. "Atavachron" is a masterpiece from beginning to end, every bit as strong as "Metal Fatigue." Holdsworth use of the synth axe was truly revolutionary, showing the world just how cool guitar synths could be. I concede that the album has not quite held up as well o ... (read more)

Report this review (#29426) | Posted by | Sunday, February 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ALLAN HOLDSWORTH "Atavachron"