POWER AND OUTCOME

Cast

Cast Power And Outcome album cover

Buy CAST Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Rules of the Desert (Instrumental) (11:35)
2. Power and Outcome (7:25)
3. Details: a) Circle Spins (5:47)
4. Details: b) Start Again (Instrumental) (8:43)
5. Through Stained Glass (8:46)
6. Illusions and Tribulations (9:27)
7. The Gathering (8:16)
8. Conquest (Instrumental) (3:30)
9. Full Circle (1:57)
10. Dialect for the 21st Century (5:16)

Total time 70:42

- Roberto Izzo / violin
- Carlos Humarán / bass
- Jose Antonio Bringas / drums

Artwork: Juan Carlos Lizarraga

CD Progressive Promotion Records - PPRCD048 (2017, Germany)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

CAST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAST Power And Outcome Music

CAST Power And Outcome reviews

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars

The first song "Rules of the Desert" starts the album in such uptempo mood and with a punchy style that I thought it was another band. This song is instrumental and the presence of the violin that will be constant throughout the album add a little touch to the music. The second song "Power and Outcome" bring back the vocals and reassure me that it's still the Cast traditional style. The band is back with his style of symphonic music with piano and classical arrangements. The vocals remind me of some Neo-Prog bands of the 80's and 90's which fortunately is not ruining the talented songwriting. The third track is a beautiful and peaceful ballad. "Start Again" is another instrumental track taking us back to the first song tempo but this time the guitar is taking his spot with the keyboards of Louis Alfonso Vidales. The song shows some impressive instrumental parts where the guitar is left lose in some exquisite solos. "Illusions and Tribulations" is another great track and the best way to enjoy the vocals when the music is quieter. This is a strong album of the band with some Genesis and Kansas influences that will please a bunch of Progressive Rock fans.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
5 stars The last album I reviewed from the Mexican prog masters was 'Beyond Reality', more than twenty years ago, so when I saw this pop out of the envelope I had a huge smile on my face. I have lost touch with the guys and the many albums they have released in the intervening period, but I know that I used to like them and was sure that I would enjoy this. It wasn't too long afterwards, that I was telling everyone who would listen that this was a masterpiece, and I found that those who had already heard it were saying the same thing. The comment I had back from one reviewer I value very highly was that as soon as he first started playing it the only decision he had to make was whether it was a 4* album or a 5* album. I knew exactly what he meant, except that it was only halfway through the first listen that I was convinced that here was an album that not only deserved a 5* rating, but I knew that I was going to fall in love with it even more every time I played it, and that has turned out to be just the case.

This release is a "review killer" in the sense that it prevents me from listening to all the other albums I should be playing as it is just so good in every single aspect. The majority of this is instrumental, as there is just no room for vocals, but the two singers (Bobby Vidales and Lupita Ancuna) make their presence felt when they have the opportunity. It's just that when there are maestros such as those on display, then there just isn't always the place or time for that element. They even start with an instrumental that is nearly twelve minuts long, I mena, is this prog or what? With three lead melody instruments in guitar, violin and keyboards, there is an incredibly amount going on, but they rarely really show off. One of the exceptions to that is guitarist Caludio Cudero who tears his instrument to pieces and shreds like a lunatic in "Ilusions and Tribulations"; yet this is also a thoughtful number with some great emotive vocals and beautiful repetitive piano motifs.

This is an album that has made me incredibly excited, wanting to shout to the rooftops that the band I knew and loved in the Nineties have released a stunning album, yet it is tinged with disappointment that I lost contact for so long, and what are the albums like that I have missed out on! This is definitely going to be a contender for my personal album of the year as for me this majestically sums up just about everything I love about prog music. It is powerful yet melodic, full of instrumental brilliance and simplicity, layered and complex yet also is full of space and plenty of room for everyone to breathe and show just what they can do.

This is a stunning album, and to my ears is essential. Nothing more, nothing less.

Review by aapatsos
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
3 stars Very bombastic and majestic symphonic prog straight out of the 70s but with modern arrangements delivered by Cast in their 19th (!) studio album. Strong references to classical music, guitars often verging on neo-classical themes and riffs and a very strong violin presence in Roberto Izzo sort of complete the puzzle. In the more than 70 minutes of this album, the music is very diverse, at times overfilled with complex structures, relentless soloing and changing of speeds and themes, almost a cinematic approach to dragons, queens and castles. The album cover points to that sort of thematography with clear references to Genesis (is that Peter Gabriel?) and Marillion.

The strongest references are to Kansas and especially their earlier works. Cast are not afraid to experiment with extended song structures and this pays off to a very inspired and majestic outcome - the lengthy opener ''Rules of the Desert'' is a great example of this. Musically and lyrically there is not much that I can pick upon, apart from the vocals and vocal lines. The effort to over-express themselves leads to vocal lines that sound to me slightly out of tune with the music, while the accent and the way of singing can put the listener off from enjoying the full grandiose of the compositions. There is something here that does not quite match and is difficult to figure out, but definitely an area for improvement in order to produce a truly memorable output.

Other than this, ''Power and Outcome'' is an orgasm of melodies and structures, a 70-min Song for America or Cheyenne Anthem missing the catchy vocals and refrains. The musicianship needs to be discovered even if you don't enjoy the full spectre as I did.

3.5 stars

Review by memowakeman
4 stars Review originally published in www.therocktologist.com

The legend continues!

I love reviewing prog, but I definitively love reviewing albums from Mexican bands (I am Mexican) whose talent should be noticed even in the furthest frontiers. One of those bands is Cast, a legendary band with over 30 years of belonging to this amazing musical realm that gives us a lot of satisfaction. Cast has a prolific discography with some line-up changes but with an intact symphonic prog spirit, which can be appreciated in this new 2017 release Power and Outcome, an album I like a lot and that comprises a magnificent line-up in which Carlos Humar'n returns to the band on bass, along with the inclusion of violin-maestro Roberto Izzo. In this album I noticed also singer Bobby Vidales much more comfortable and with a mature voice, and of course, Alfonso Vidales continues creating amazing compositions with the sum of the talents of Antonio Bringas on drums, Claudio Cordero on guitar and Lupita Acu'a on backing vocals.

I recently could see them live and I must say this line-up knows the business, I mean, they are friends and family, so what they share in concert is as great as in studio, their current live sound is amazing, which is why I am really happy to know they are touring and happy to know I will see them again soon in Chicago, when the Progtoberfest takes place. Well, this new album is very solid, maybe a bit long, it has a symphonic tendency for the likes of people who love old school prog and neo-prog. It features 10 songs and a running time of 70 minutes.

The album opens with the bombastic 'Rules of the Desert', a 12-minute epic in which Vidales and co. take us to a wonderful journey of first class instrumental prog, there are some vocals whispered, though, but not sang yet. Cordero's guitar offers its first solo at minute two; he's been a crucial member of Cast this new millennium. Izzo and his violin has also been a wonderful addition to the band, adding classical, jazzy and even metal nuances to this symphonic prog feast. Keyboards are outstanding as usual, Alfonso Vidales is a first-class keyboard player and composer, believe me. The title track comes next. 'Power and Outcome' brings vocals for the first time, Bobby Vidales as I mentioned earlier, is now a very mature singer, his voice produces loads of nuances and emotions, of course, the music might guide its strength, but his voice is a very good instrument on Cast's music.

A two-part suite entitled 'Details' comes next. First 'Circle Spins' brings a soft and tender sound, maybe a bit pop- oriented. After the first bombastic tracks they made a considerable change with this first part of the track, which is a bit weaker. Its second part is 'Start Again', is instrumental and much faster and elaborate than its predecessor, here we can find the perfect synergy between strings and drums. It is much more powerful and enjoyable, without a doubt. 'Through Stained Glass' is a great song where their potential is shown every single minute. Both, the instrumental and vocal passages are great, once again I point out the violin's participation because it is something we weren't use to enjoy in Cast's music, so its addition has hit the nail.

One of the best tracks has to be the amazing 'Illusions and Tribulations', almost 10 minutes of authentic progressive rock in which all the instruments play an important role. As you can imagine, it brings a salad of sounds and a diversity of changes that let our mind play and picture different passages. The first half of the song is completely instrumental, then it slows down and vocals appear and a new passage is created for like 3 minutes, then the last part becomes more emotional and when it finishes you will have a smile on your face, I assure you. You will not take a deep breath because 'The Gathering' starts right away with a fast spirit and believe me, that spirit prevails the whole track, so be ready for another bombastic symphonic episode here.

'Conquest' is a very visual track, I mean, it sounds like a soundtrack of some film so one can imagine different things while the music speaks. This is a nice short instrumental song. Another short one is 'Full Circle', piano and vocals are here first, then the other instruments join little by little, creating a nice soft atmosphere that leads to 'Dialect for the 21st Century', the last song of the album, a very good track to finish an extraordinary, lengthy but solid album by Cast. Not to be missed.

Enjoy it!

Post a review of CAST "Power And Outcome"