IS THIS THE LIFE WE REALLY WANT ?

Roger Waters

Roger Waters Is This The Life We Really Want ? album cover

Buy ROGER WATERS Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. When We Were Young (1:38)
2. Déjà Vu (4:27)
3. The Last Refugee (4:12)
4. Picture That (6:47)
5. Broken Bones (4:57)
6. Is This The Life We Really Want? (5:55)
7. Bird In A Gale (5:31)
8. The Most Beautiful Girl (6:09)
9. Smell The Roses (5:15)
10. Wait For Her (4:56)
11. Oceans Apart (1:07)
12. Part Of Me Died (3:12)

Total time 54:06

Search ROGER WATERS Is This The Life We Really Want ? lyrics

Search ROGER WATERS Is This The Life We Really Want ? tabs

- Roger Waters / vocals, acoustic guitar, bass

With:
- Nigel Godrich / guitar, keyboards, sound collages, arrangements, production & mixing
- Jonathan Wilson / guitar, keyboards
- Roger Manning / keyboards
- Lee Pardini / keyboards
- Gus Seyffert / bass, guitar, keyboards
- Joey Waronker / drums
- David Campbell / string arrangements
- Jessica Wolfe / vocals
- Holly Laessig / vocals
- Celia Drummond, Emma Clarke, Ingrid Schram, Jane Barbe, Kathy Somers & Rachel Agnew / voice

Artwork: Sean Evans

2xLP Columbia ‎- 88985 43649 1 (2017, Europe)

CD Columbia ‎- 88985436482 (2017, Europe)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

ROGER WATERS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROGER WATERS Is This The Life We Really Want ? Music

Is This The Life We Really Want?Is This The Life We Really Want?
Explicit Lyrics
Sony Music Canada Inc. 2017
Is This the Life We Really WantIs This the Life We Really Want
Imports 2017

More places to buy ROGER WATERS music online Buy ROGER WATERS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ROGER WATERS Is This The Life We Really Want ? ratings distribution

ROGER WATERS Is This The Life We Really Want ? reviews

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams
3 stars We can't expect that a 73 years old man renewes his music and makes something different from what he has done in the last 25 years (not considering Ca Ira). This album is exactly how you can expect it to be: a Roger Waters album, with his usual chords, screams, Dylan like singing, female choirs and all the elements which dominated his music since The Final Cut.

Is it bad? Absolutely not.

There's a number of remindings to some big Pink Floyd's high moments: short parts which seem to come from Wish You Were Here and Animals appear here and there. To give an idea of the lyrical contents, I quote a little sentence from "Wake Up And Smell The Roses":

This is the room where they make the explosives Where they put your name on the bomb Here's where they bury the "buts" and the "ifs" and scratch out words like "right" and "wrong"

Back to music, it's a good album and I wonder how it could have sounded with a bit of Gilmour and Wright inside. If you don't consider the "ballad like" songs based on acoustic guitar he has made us used to, there's enough Pink Floyd here, and let me add that this is way better than the last two Gilmour's outputs (I mean The Endless River as a Gilmour's, not a PF album).

So Waters is back with a bunch of new songs that somebody wil consider "nothing new", but this is how it has to be. This old manhas still something to say and it does it in the way he's used to do it. Even without guitarists like Jeff Beck, Snowy White or G.E. Smith, the quality of the playing and the arrangements is high.

For who has liked Amused to Death, there's less rock and screams. This album is more relaxed, more similar to Radio Kaos but luckily without the 80s sounds that album was full of.

I'm happy to have bought it. If you don't like The FInal Cut at all, stay off. For everybody else it's at least a 4 stars album. The average is 3.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars It's been a quarter century since former Pink Floyd bass player/frontman Roger Waters delivered his greatest solo artistic statement with 1992's `Amused to Death', and despite the occasional new piece or cover song popping here and there, and no shortage of multiple lengthy live tours, a full-length follow-up studio work had not emerged. Cue 2017, and the current political climate has proven to be a huge inspiration in spurring the artist to kick up momentum, resulting in the Nigel `Radiohead' Godrich produced `Is This The Life We Really Want?'. It's a new work that's instantly recognizable as a Waters solo disc, holding plenty of the lyrical ammunition, raspy vocals, moody atmospherics and adventurous rock pieces the artist is known for, with an equal number of exciting revelations and (whisper it) oddly disappointing elements.

Completely noticeable from the first play is how producer Godrich has spared no expensive in delivering a gorgeous sonic canvass, and all the ambient sound-effects from Pink Floyd and Roger solo albums past - switching channels, news soundbites, shattering glass, explosions, ticking clocks, you name it - form a rich and evocative soundtrack in-between and around all of Roger's words and the instrumental backing they sit in. It's a reliable framing device, present on pretty much the two final Floyd works with Roger (`The Wall' and `The Final Cut') and his three solo discs that started with 1984's `The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking', and musically and vocally `...Life' is very much in the same style of those ones. So if you're not a fan of the more Waters-dominated Floyd works, his unique personality of those solo discs and the frequently political-themed lyrics that he eventually moved into, you're very likely going to struggle with this one as well. But it does offer plenty of unexpectedly safer Floyd-friendly moments worked in, Roger's voice sounds inspired and in surprisingly good form, and he still even delivers a few of those trademark histrionic multi-tracked vocal spots!

One thing that should be instantly be pointed out - in no way, shape or form is `...Life' a prog-rock album - and let's face it, Roger and Pink Floyd long eclipsed being merely a `prog' band decades ago - and nor should it have even expected to have been. There are absolutely `proggy' sections, with some passages of thick spacey keyboards popping up here and there (although the album is definitely short on guitar solos - we were spoiled by Jeff Beck's fiery wailing on `Amused to Death' all those years ago!), moments of slightly more ambitious arrangements and a couple of really dynamic diversions. But instead, at least half of the album is made up of ol' Rog strumming along on acoustic guitar, or crooning mournfully over sparse piano backed by sweeping orchestration. `Déjà Vu', `The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' and the closing trio of `Wait for Her', `Oceans Apart' and `Part of Me Died' all offer variations or reprises of these, and rather disappointingly, most of them are carried by acoustic guitar chords that all drift uncomfortably close to a mix of `Pigs on the Wing' from Floyd's heavy classic `Animals' and `Mother' off `The Wall'. It works fine and sounds lovely on the surface, even instantly comfortable, but it's also a little lazy.

Sadly the Floyd fall-back carries on, even if there's not a truly bad tune to be found amongst them. The gutsy `Smell the Roses' plunders `Have a Cigar's heavy bluesy guitars and the `Leave those kids alone' moments off `Another Brick in the Wall', and despite being one of the most overtly proggy moments of the disc, `Picture That' nearly sounds like a re-write of `Sheep's thick electronics and treated echoing voices, joined by the soulful female backing harmonies of `Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here', but it does deliver one of the only (brief) moments of soaring David Gilmour-like guitar slow-burn of the disc.

But of the proper highlights, sound collages like the intro opener `When we were Young' instantly intrigue, `The Last Refugee' holds gorgeous piano and light spacey washes to a gentle jazzy patter, and `Broken Bones' is a defiant and oddly elegant ballad, swearing and all. But best of all is the back to back ten-minute stretch right in the middle of the title-track and `Bird in a Gale'. `Is This The Life We Really Want?' drips with supreme f*cking danger, Roger's scathing malevolent purr delivering a thoroughly confronting and depressing lyric weaving between murky cutting orchestral stabs and brooding drumming, all building in hair-tearing intensity. It bleeds right into `Bird in a Gale's storm of skittering beats, strangled guitar and pulsing electronics (and is that Mellotron buried in there somewhere or heavily treated orchestration?), and the piece could have easily appeared on any of the `Kid A' onwards Radiohead albums (although the final moments ape `Dogs' droning spacey shimmers a little too closely).

`Is This The Life We Really Want?' has so much going for it. It all sounds great on the surface, Roger's voice is in charismatic and commanding form, and the fifty-five minute set is oddly quite accessible, with more causal Floyd fans likely to find great comfort in how much it sounds like the truly classic Floyd and Waters moments of the past. Those that appreciate Roger's biting social commentary and blunt political-themed lyrics will probably find `...Life' most rewarding of all (other reviewers will hopefully explore those lyrics in much greater detail than here), and there's no denying that clearly the lyrical aspect is the priority here. Others, however, may find it to be nothing more than a reliable effort that ticks all the pre-requisite boxes but doesn't quite live up to its potential to truly deliver something new and vital instead of plundering past sounds and tunes for inspiration. But it's still a relief to find such a decent and worthwhile Roger Waters solo album in 2017 that is a more than worthy addition to his body of work.

Three and a half stars, rounded up to four.

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team
3 stars It seems that it's been a very long time that I have heard some new material from Roger Waters and I was glad to hear his voice on this new album. It's like his voice didn't change and was taking me back to the 70's and the 80's with that Pink Floyd sound. The songs are divided into two kinds; the quiet ones, and, the more upbeat songs where the tempo is faster. We can hear the same type of vocals echo in the track "Bird in a Gale" that we heard in the past with Pink Floyd. The pace is starting to pick up with "Picture That" showing some spacey keyboards, and a very nice melody. The music is also rich in classical arrangements with violin and piano. "Broken Bones" is a song about war, a theme cherishes by Roger over the years. "Smell the roses" is a more positive song remind me of "Money" with a second part close to the atmosphere of Eloy/Pink Floyd with some spacey passages. The last three tracks are connected in a suite finishing the album in a peaceful way. In conclusion, this is for me more of a nostalgia thing than a great album that I enjoy but will enjoy even more Roger Waters and Pink Floyd fans.
Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
4 stars Weird to think that after 25 years I'm listening to a new Roger Waters record. Strange to also imagine that this is the best record I've heard so far in 2017... and it's almost the end of the year.

Well, odd in parts, I've always considered Waters' solo work of high quality, and I pretty much love all of his solo records, so the surprise is simply because it happened unexpectedly.

I've heard many people say that the album is too political, is it? Humm, commentaries like these can only come from people who do not follow Waters career. Roger Waters has been a political man since circa 1977 when he wrote Animals with Pink Floyd...

Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut, Radio KAOS, Amused To Death, Leaving Beirut... all of Waters' work over the last 40 years is political. To say that his new record is 'too political' is nonsense and not knowing what you say. Is This The Life We Really Want? is a political record and one has to listen to with that in mind. Period.

I also heard a lot of people saying that Is This The Life We Really Want? is 'a copy of everything he's ever done in his career with Pink Floyd,'. Really? So, 2 million bands can copy Pink Floyd and be praised about it but one of the creators of that sound can not? The 'critics' are funny, aren't they? But then again, everybody is a critic nowadays.

Anyway, the album is not perfect, I will give you that, but having in mind that Waters has nothing to prove by now I believe he worked hard to get a good record out and he did just that. The album has a bit of everything a Waters/Floyd fan would like to hear but with a new approach (producer Nigel Godrich certainly helps with that). I am not a political person so I can let go some of the lyrics, but for the most part I really enjoy Water's writing and is no different in the new record.

I still have to hear the record a few more times but I have the impression this one is a grower and it will come to be a favorite in the future, let's see.

So do yourself a favor and stop to listen to it. It is worth it!

4 stars A Roger Waters album that sounds like a Pink Floyd album? Well, that's a first. And if not quite factually a first, its certainly welcome. I think most Roger/Floyd fans know this album was produced by Radiohead producer and engineer Nigel Godrich and this has helped in making it a more Floyd so ... (read more)

Report this review (#1734038) | Posted by SteveG | Thursday, June 15, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I just keep expecting things to blow up. Listening to Roger Waters' music is often stressful, whether it is something to do with the ominous chord progressions or just past experience its generally not too long before something blows up. In stereo and now in HiRes. Thankfully there are just ... (read more)

Report this review (#1730857) | Posted by moulsham | Wednesday, June 7, 2017 | Review Permanlink

3 stars To be objective with Roger Waters' 2017 album, there are two levels that have to be considered. A message component, and a music background. Regarding message level, I will write down it this way. After several years of touring, promoting "The Wall" concept around the globe, as his crucial li ... (read more)

Report this review (#1730840) | Posted by cedo | Wednesday, June 7, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This must be the best Pink Floyd-related album you will ever listen to! After touring around the world with 'The Wall' since I don't know how many years, he decided that it was time to release his new album, which is probably the best album of his solo career. Roger Waters can be proud of this ... (read more)

Report this review (#1729468) | Posted by The Jester | Friday, June 2, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Nice to be the first to review this album! Floyd fans are going to be over the moon with this one. I've been listening to it non-stop for 2 days now [make that 3+ weeks]. It's not only the best Waters solo album, but the best Floyd-related *album* since The Wall (or The Final Cut, if you like). I'm ... (read more)

Report this review (#1729302) | Posted by jude111 | Thursday, June 1, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ROGER WATERS "Is This The Life We Really Want ?"