JOE'S GARAGE, ACTS II & III

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Joe's Garage, Acts II & III album cover

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. A Token of My Extreme (5:30)
2. Stick It Out (4:34)
3. Sy Borg (8:54)
4. Dong Work for Yuda (5:03)
5. Keep It Greasey (8:21)
6. Outside Now (5:49)
7. He Used to Cut the Grass (8:35)
8. Packard Goose (11:31)
9. Watermelon in Easter Hay (9:05)
10. A Little Green Rosetta (8:16)

Search FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Acts II & III lyrics

- Denny Walley / guitar, vocals, slide guitar
- Peter Wolf / keyboards
- Barbara Isaak / choir, chorus

Rykodisc #10531

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Acts II & III Music

Joe's Garage Acts I II & IIIJoe's Garage Acts I II & III
Hot RatsHot Rats
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Freak OutFreak Out
FRANK ZAPPA LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST, JUNE,'71 CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m
Frank Zappa & The Mothers LP Roxy & Elsewhere 1974 live double record US $15.00 [0 bids]
44m 45s
Frank Zappa - Barcelona 1988/05/17 - Two CD Disks. US $19.98 [1 bids]
56m 23s
FRANK ZAPPA Only in it for the Money LP VERVE stereo VG++ psych great copy! US $15.50 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Overnite Sensation LP DISCREET stereo VG++ psych great copy! US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Ruben and the Jets LP MERCURY stereo VG++ psych great copy! US $9.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Uncle Meat LP BIZARRE stereo VG++ psych great copy! US $26.00 [8 bids]
JEAN LUC PONTY PLAYS THE MUSIC OF FRANK ZAPPA US $8.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Burnt Weeny Sandwich LP BIZARRE stereo VG++ psych great copy! US $9.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Lumpy Gravy LP VERVE stereo VG++ psych 60s press US $9.99 [1 bids]
Boulez Conducts Frank Zappa The Perfect Stranger LP EMI Angel US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 49m
FRANK ZAPPA Zapped LP BIZARRE stereo VG++ psych 60s press compilation US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Why Doncha Do Me Right B/Big Leg Emma [Vinyl New] US $10.91 Buy It Now 1h 53m
FRANK ZAPPA Zoot Allures LP WB VG++ psych 70s in shrink US $9.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Of Invention - Absolutely Free NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa - Cruising With Ruben & The Jets NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa The Mothers Of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa - Chunga's Revenge NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa The Mothers - Fillmore East - June 1971 NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa The Mothers - Just Another Band From L.a. NEW CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Frank Zappa just another band from L.A. US $24.99 [0 bids]
2h
The Grand Wazoo by Frank Zappa (CD, May-1995, Ryko Distribution) US $19.99 [0 bids]
2h
Frank Zappa - Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar (NEW 2CD) US $22.52 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Frank Zappa Mothers Of Invention We're Only In It For The Money US $5.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa:Ship Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch/Barking Pumpkin orig+inner sl US $8.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - FINER MOMENTS 2XLP - 180 GRAM - AUDIOPHILE - SEALED US $24.94 Buy It Now 2h 26m
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS "200 Motels"w/ Royal Phil Orch. - Record 1971 2 LP Set US $25.95 Buy It Now 2h 31m
FRANK ZAPPA 8 TRACK TAPE Orchestral Favorites TESTED nw pad & s - Duke of Prunes US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
FRANK ZAPPA "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 6" 1992 Barking Pumpkin US $37.77 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention [CD New] US $13.66 Buy It Now 3h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA "Freak Out!" 1995 Ryko Pressing of 1966 Original Wild Improvisation US $17.77 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Frank Zappa chunga's Revenge Lp (VG) 12" US $19.26 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh [CDZAP 24] US $3.92 [2 bids]
Frank zappa apostrophe 8 track tape US $5.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere [Vinyl New] US $28.94 Buy It Now 4h
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures [CD New] US $12.97 Buy It Now 4h
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes [CD New] US $12.17 Buy It Now 4h
Frank Zappa Sexual Harassment in the Workplace 3"CD US $19.95 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa [LP] Studio Tan *EX* [Discreet; DSK 2291] (1978) US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA - JOE'S GARAGE ACT II & III - 2-LP 1979 ORIG. N/M VINYL EX. COVER US $12.00 [0 bids]
THE GRAND WAZOO THE MOTHERS/FRANK ZAPPA 1972 REPRISE K44209 US $32.78 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life Cassette Tape #1 ONLY US $3.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-"CLEAN AMERICAN VERSION" RARE 1995 U.S. RYKO PROMO CD-NM CD-14 TRKS. US $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Ship Arriving Too Late.. BARKING PUMPKIN LP valley girl moon prog US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels -Original 1971- 2LP - W/Booklet & Poster BEATLES US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Rolling Stone June 11 1981 James Taylor cover / Queen / Frank Zappa US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
FRANK ZAPPA-"RETURN OF THE SON OF KILL UGLY RADIO" RARE 1996 U.S. RYKO PROMO CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Them Or Us '84 SVBO74200 2 LP orig gatefold mothers of invention !! US $47.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
FRANK ZAPPA Apostrophe' DISCREET RECORDS 1974 EX to Near Mint US $37.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
FRANK ZAPPA Sheik Yerbouti ZAPPA RECORDS 1979 2lp NEAR MINT US $34.95 Buy It Now 5h
OVER-NITE SENSATION-FRANK ZAPPA-DISCREET-MS2149 US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
12 8-Track tapes FRANK ZAPPA, STEVIE WONDER, FRANK SINATRA, DICK HYMAN others US $9.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA ~ WAKA / JAWAKA ~ HOT RATS ~ 1972 Bizarre Album ~ NEAR MINT US $125.00 Buy It Now 5h 40m
FRANK ZAPPA The Old Masters Box One 7 VINYL NEAR MINT CONDITION VERYHARD TO FIND US $195.00 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention : 'Absolutely Free' : UK stereo LP US $18.85 [2 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA HOT RATS JAPAN MINI LP CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA THE MOTHERS Fillmore East June 1971 NM in Shrink Orig Bizarre Label US $39.95 Buy It Now 6h 24m
FRANK ZAPPA BURNT WEENY SANDWICH JAPAN MINI LP CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 3 FRANK ZAPPA 7" Records LP Dancin' Fool Valley Girl "I Dont Wanna Get Dr US $6.50 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA CHUNGA'S REVENGE JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa/Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere 2DS 2202 (LP) Vinyl Record US $19.95 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA FILLMORE EAST JUNE 1971 JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A. JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA WAKA/JAWAKA JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA THE GRAND WAZOO JAPAN MINI LP CD PROMO OBI US $24.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa We're Only In It For The Money/Lumpy Gravy CD Rykodisc RCD40024 NIB US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention, Zappa, Frank, Good Original recordi US $10.89 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Vintage 1976 Frank Zappa Zoot Allures Vinyl LP Record Album 2970 EX+ or better US $5.49 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Jazz from Hell cd 1990 Zappa records French version CDZAP32 US $7.85 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Ruben and The Jets "Con Safos" 1973 Rock/Psych LP,Nice EX!,Original, Frank Zappa US $24.95 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Over-Nite Sensation by The Mothers (Frank Zappa) vinyl LP Discreet MS 2149 US $32.95 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Frank Zappa, The Man From Utopia (Digitally Remastered, 1983) vinyl LP US $32.95 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Over-Nite Sensation LP - Discreet - DSK 2288 Frank Zappa, Mothers Of Invention US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts 2 & 3 vinyl LP shiny 2 LP set US $27.95 Buy It Now 7h 11m
"7"-Frank Zappa-Bobby Brown Goes Down/I have..PS German US $14.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + BACKING TRACKS + FREE BONUSES US $8.46 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Frank Zappa nd the Mothers - We're Only In It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy US $7.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa Zomby Woof RARE CD Single Collector Item Rykodisc Barking Pumpkin US $8.18 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow 7" - RSD Record Store Day 2014 US $13.99 [0 bids]
Apocrypha Frank Zappa Four CD Import rare Mothers of Invention Live SO cool. US $299.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
FRANK ZAPPA "Them Or Us" UK 1984 EMI w/Inner Sleeves US $14.73 Buy It Now 8h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA - STUDIO TAN - DISCREET LBL - 1978 LP US $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 6m
FRANK ZAPPA - ORCHESTRAL FAVORITES - DISCREET LBL - 1979 LP US $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 6m
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS. OVER-NITE SENSATIONS, DISCREET. 1973. PROG/ROCK US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Frank Zappa ex original bizarre with booklet 2LP Uncle Meat US $49.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Frank Zappa ex remaster LP Ship Arriving too Late US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Frank Zappa m- LP Man from Utopia US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Frank Zappa mint records 2LP In New York US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Frank Zappa Mothers in shrink LP Fillmore June 1971 US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
LP-Autosalvage-RARE 1968 ORIG~HIPPIE GARAGE PSYCH UNDERGROUND = FRANK ZAPPA US $34.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa UA with poster 2LP 200 Motels US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Frank Zappa white label LP Waka/Jawaka US $49.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Acts II & III ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Joe's Garage, Acts II & III reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This is another double LP: the continuity of the "Joe's garage Act I" album, again with many of the Frank's vocal intervention as the Central Scrutinizer. This album has many excellent guitar solos, among the best Zappa's solos, sounding a bit like on the "Wet-T shirt" song: "Keep it greasey" contains such an outstanding combination of excellent long guitar solo, tons of fast drums and a catchy & fast popping bass. The guitar solo on "He Used to Cut the Grass" is absolutely delightful, but the best solo is on the next track "Packard Goose": along with "Black Napkins" (Zoot allures), this solo makes the history, with its unbelievable wah-wah effects. "Packard Goose" is also an excellent 11 minutes song: very catchy, full of rhythm & melody changes and excellent lead & backing vocals (even Dale Bozzio has its place!). The reggae & relax "Sy Borg" is about having sexual gratification by a robot. "Watermelon in Easter hay" has a perfect Oriental-like, echoed & atmospheric guitar sound: Zappa REALLY takes care of his sound here! The last track "Little green rosetta" has a party ambience: full of pleasant & childish xylophone and party vocals, you make it play while you eat a barbecue T-bone during a hot night of July: do not forget to turn on the multicolor plastic lights laying on the lawn! Some tracks are more ordinary, like "Outside Now", "A Token of My Extreme" and "Dong Work for Yuda". I you look for a Frank Zappa at his best on guitar, then this record is the right one!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#39632) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
5 stars The stunning middle and conclusion to Frank Zappa's epic Joe's Garage series is a lot like Act I. Very guitar oriented, very blunt and to the point, and very technically complicated. From the 5/4 sections of Keep it Greasey, to the blistering guitar solo of Watermelon in Easter Hay, Acts II and III do not disappoint. Frank Zappa keeps the same crew of personnel this time around, but now has Terry Bozzio in on drums as well as Vinnie Colaiuta. Spot on performances and spot on vocals are highlights of this part of the story.

The Central Scrutinizer continues the tale in this section of the story, in which Joe is now in prison doing work to get by without getting sexually assaulted. Soon he imagines his own song, and then laments over the decisions he has made in life. Finally, he is released and decides to work in the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. Highlight tracks are Packard Goose, which has an outstanding vocal line, great guitar and bass play, and some awesome alternating time signatures during the verses. Watermelon in Easter Hay is a guitarist's dream, a 9 minute guitar solo that goes through all the motions, evolving and unevolving into a brilliant and emotional piece of work. And the finale, Little Green Rosetta, with its party atmosphere and a great ramble in the middle from Uncle Frank himself.

Overall, I feel that not only does this album surpass Act I, it totally exceeded my expectations of what Frank Zappa could do with his music. This is a masterpiece of an album in my opinion, and no one should miss it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, and some might find it too crude to listen to, but to me it cannot get any better than Joe's Garage Acts II and III. 5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#45877) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Review by LiquidEternity
3 stars This album gets a three star rating for the same reason that Act I does: you need the compilation of all three acts together for the true experience of this story.

On its own, Acts II & III is a pretty good Zappa album, beginning with some very odd tunes and then exploding into full-blown progressive songs the like of which still remind me to Zappa's 1969 magnum opus, Hot Rats. We've got some commercial sorts of songs early on, but on the whole, this is complicated (and very weird; at least, more so than usual) music from Frank, and so it's certainly worth looking into if that's your favorite side of the man. However, without Act I, this album is fairly weak and incomplete. Not only is the story unfinished, but the musical styles present in the first release add so much build up and cleverness to the music in Acts II & III.

Again, I'm going to borrow my words from my review of the compilation, to save you time:

Act II begins with A Token of My Extreme, where Joe is visiting the Church of Appliantology. The second act features slightly longer songs, a few more progressive bits, and more jamming. Also, Act II features the most explicit lyrics on the whole shebang, possibly in Zappa history. The strongest track here is Keep It Greasey, a rather unpleasantly-lyricked track with absolutely inhuman bass. Plus, we get a particularly long guitar solo over some strange time signature that I can't count out because I'm not good at math. Act II, I think, on the whole, is the weakest of the three.

The last act is only four songs, but here Frank stretches the songs out, building massive jams for the first three. Packard Goose features a wonderful, twisting guitar solo for a good portion of its length--the song is streamable from this site. Watermelon in Easter Hay is my personal favorite, featuring a lovely clean solo played in 9/4 time or something. I think. Did I mention that I'm not good at math? Anyways, the final song, A Little Green Rosetta, is a rather random concluding band jam with a lot of folks singing the title over and over again. It's fun, and I suppose Frank couldn't have ended the album in any better of a way.

A good album, but denied its possibly deserved fourth star on account of you should buy the compilation of all three acts. It's the only way to properly listen to and enjoy this release.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#184654) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 03, 2008

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars A deranged high school play.

Joe's Garage is an amazing piece of work, Zappa really outdid himself with this.

Acts II and III are way better than Act I but I still have some small troubles with it for the same reason. The vulgarity. Now, Act III isn't really vulgar it's the most progressive act but Act II is extremely vulgar. It's funny at first but it just grows into something that I can't really handle...

All that aside, the playing on this album by Zappa is darn near his best and you have to love that. On pretty much every song the guitar solo is either emotional or stunning or sometimes both (like Watermelon In Easter Hay). The concept is a funny/serious one so there is a good mix of humor and "serious business" involved.

The songs on Act II are all wonderfully catchy and the ones on Act III are downright epic. Take your pick.

4 Stars everybody, hope you don't mind a little (lot) dirty humor.

"And for those of you in the 4th world where life is really hard, keep the record going by rubbing two sticks together..."

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#318290) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 13, 2010

Review by Prog Leviathan
2 stars If Joe's Garage really were a live musical, I would walk out in the third act.

The first two acts are amazing, but this last disc drops the ball so staggeringly that I was genuinely let down. The sardonic wit which worked so well in the first disc misfires here completely, given that the first 13 minutes are about prison-rape, and the remaining songs don't advance the story in any worthwhile way. The lyrics are scatter-brained and unfocused, as the meandering songwriting. The satirical pop feel of the first two acts vanish entirely, and the art-rock style doesn't work as well with the timbre of Zappa's playing or vocals here.

That being said, there are some instrumental highlights which caught my eye-- though mostly because they were the fey bright spots in this release. "Keep it Greasy" has some funktastic bass work and a groovy jam section, while most tunes feature very smooth, extended Zappa guitar soloing, which isquite satisfying. However, these are scarce compensation for vacuous song-writing. If Zappa could read a review like this (which I am sure he never would), he'd probably laugh and say something snarky... but I know entertaining music when I hear it, and Joe's Garage Part 3 isn't.

Readers should note that the first two acts are contained on a single disc in the compilation of Joe's Garage, which is the way to go if you're interested in checking out this album; this third act isn't irredeemable, but I can almost garuantee that the first disc will see much more play then this one.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Replay: 2

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#383395) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 19, 2011

5 stars In my opinion some of the coolest Zappa songs can be found on here, Act's 2 and 3 of this fantastic concept release, although at this point in the album it does to drag on a bit and i think a couple of the songs could have been cut down a couple of minutes (Watermelon in Easter Hay is basically a ... (read more)

Report this review (#289290) | Posted by FarBeyondProg | Monday, July 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Joe's Garage was perhaps the FZ album that got me convinced that I had to be a Zappa follower! It's possibly the funniest album I have ever heard. Zappa as The Central Scrutinizer is simply genius. A lot of guitar soloing is on this album with Zappa depicting the main character Joe who is a guit ... (read more)

Report this review (#170142) | Posted by Devnoy | Wednesday, May 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Frank Zappa's follow up to Joe's Garage Act I, released the same year, was a bit dryer in my opinion. There's very little jazz, no "Grand Wazoo" style big band songs, and the songwriting is a bit less interesting. In other releases, Zappa would throw in countless sudden changes, hooks, progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#132264) | Posted by Shakespeare | Wednesday, August 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Uncle Frank continues the story of Joe and Mary (Joseph and Mary?) and scores some major musical points along the way. Acts 2 & 3 carry on in the vein mined in Act 1. Tight band, pointed lyrics and some great soloing from Zappa combines with some stereotypical Zappa "oddness" to make up the se ... (read more)

Report this review (#35251) | Posted by | Sunday, June 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This review applies to the firs act too: a real masterpiece, great songs, many different styles masterfully arranged and perform, a successful blend between the mood of the music and the mood of the lyrics (sometimes whith the contrast of musical grandiosity and soap-opera situation of the ch ... (read more)

Report this review (#30269) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Joe's Garage, Acts II & III"