BEGINNINGS

Happy The Man Beginnings album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy HAPPY THE MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone (9:16)
2. Passion's Passing (8:40)
3. Don't Look To The Running Sun (9:52)
4. Gretchen's Garden (11:04)
5. Partly The State (9:20)
6. Broken Waves (5:49)
7. Portrait Of A Waterfall (6:45)

Search HAPPY THE MAN Beginnings lyrics

Search HAPPY THE MAN Beginnings tabs

- Mike Beck / drums, percussion
- Cliff Fortney / lead vocals, flute, Rhodes (2-5)
- Rick Kennell / electric bass
- Kit Watkins / multi-keyboards, vocals
- Stanley Whitaker / electric guitar, vocals
- Frank Wyatt / keyboards, alto sax, flute, vocals

Cuneiform #55003

HAPPY THE MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HAPPY THE MAN Beginnings Music

THE CURE CATERPILLAR HOLLAND 12 INCH RECORD HAPPY MAN US $25.49 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Perry Como, Happy Man / Another Go Around ~ NM 1968 RCA Victor 45 US $2.77 Buy It Now 4h 58m
B.J. Thomas Happy Man ~ Shrink Wrap ~ 1978 ~ MSB-6593 US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Here We Go/Happy Man (7" Single by Stakka Bo) 1993 US $1.60 [0 bids]
The Jive Five I'm a Happy Man LP US $27.50 [0 bids]
JIVE FIVE UA 6455 I'M A HAPPY MAN M- ST $70.00 US $70.00 Buy It Now 7h 39m
VG++ ROCK 45 - DATEN THOMAS - A HAPPY MAN - REPRISE 0456 PROMO US $9.99 [0 bids]
B.J. Thomas-Happy Man-1978-MSB 6593-33 1/3 rpm-LP-EX/EX US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Pat Terry Group Songs Of The South lp Home Where I Belong Happy Man US $9.99 [0 bids]
IMPACT HAPPY MAN 7" SINGLE CHEAP US $6.06 Buy It Now 22h 17m
SPARKLEHORSE-HAPPY MAN V11 EDIT 1TRK PROMO CD CS371 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Billy Lee Riley "Happy Man" b/w "Sittin' and A Waitin'" 45rpm Atlantic 45-2525 US $2.00 [0 bids]
Re 45 JIVE FIVE/SHOWMEN - I'm A Happy Man/It Will Stand w/ sleeve/strip NM WABC US $7.49 [0 bids]
BILLY LEE RILEY: Happy Man / Sittin & Waitin' (soul vinyl 45) dj, close to M- US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BJ B.J. Thomas Happy Man CASSETTE Pop Christian Religious Gospel From the Start US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
1976 Little Golden Book & Record #213 The Happy Man and His Dump Truck US $1.99 [0 bids]
BJ Thomas Happy Man lp US $3.99 [0 bids]
chris pope (the chords) one happy man/the road i never took rare 2 track cd US $3.23 [0 bids]
Soul 45 THE JIVE FIVE I'm A Happy Man on United Artist US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JIVE FIVE~I'M A HAPPY MAN~NEAR MINT~UNITED ARTISTS~KISS KISS K~ NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mike Doughty - Sad Man Happy Man - US PROMOTIONAL cd - RARE! US $7.17 Buy It Now 2 days
Greg Kihn Band Happy Man / Trouble In Paradise 7" 45 rpm Beserkley B-47463 NM US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GREG KIHN BAND Kihntinued-Classic 12" Vinyl-Happy Man/Every Love Song/Testify+++ US $2.99 [0 bids]
Brilliant Orange-Happy Man-12"-W/ Lyric Sheet-Near Mint-Vinyl-45 RPM-Zulep 3 US $11.95 Buy It Now 2 days
the jive five, i'am a happy man, united artists - 853 US $8.11 [0 bids]
2 GREG KIHN BAND 45s Happy Man , The Breakup Song BESERKLEY 47149 US $2.97 [0 bids]
The Jive Five - Im A Happy Man - The Ua Album NEW CD US $15.79 Buy It Now 2 days
GREG KIHN BAND - Happy Man - Excellent Condition 7" Single Beserkley X 9735 US $6.47 Buy It Now 2 days
GREG KIHN BAND happy man 7" b/w trouble in paradise (bsk a2255) uk beserkley 198 US $8.09 Buy It Now 2 days
GREG KIHN BAND happy man 7" promo b/w trouble in paradise (bska2255) uk beserkle US $8.09 Buy It Now 2 days
GREG KIHN BAND happy man 7" b/w trouble in paradise (x9735) uk beserkley 1982 US $8.09 Buy It Now 2 days
THOMAS LANG happy man 10" uk epic 1988 3 track featuring long version,skin and a US $8.09 Buy It Now 2 days
IMPACT ~ Happy Man (Pt. I) / Happy Man (Pt. II) - 7" Single - R&B Soul Disco US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE JIVE FIVE I'M A HAPPY MAN ON UNITED ARTISTS SILVER SPOTLIGHT VG+ US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE JIVE FIVE "I'M A HAPPY MAN" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Jive Five I'm A Happy Man / Kiss Kiss Kiss 45 RPM VG+ US $6.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Thomas Lang - The Happy Man (CD) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Len Payton Happy Man/Hoe-Boogie vinyl 7" Windsor Records 4184 orig outer sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE JIVE FIVE I'm A Happy Man ORG ' 65 MONO SOUL EX! US $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Good Dog Happy Man, Frisell, Bill, New US $15.85 Buy It Now 3 days
vintage happy man dump truck Wonder record VINYL LP 7" 45 RPM / childrens childs US $0.99 [0 bids]
+ BILL FRISELL 'Good Dog, Happy Man' CD VGC US $17.41 Buy It Now 3 days
IMPACT Give A Broken Heart Break/Happy Man DISCO 12 Funk ATLANTIC Rare 1976 US $17.40 Buy It Now 4 days
B.J. Thomas--Happy Man 1978 Vinyl LP Record US $5.99 [0 bids]
BILL FRISELL "Good Dog, Happy Man" 2LP & CD 2009 Nonesuch (Vinyl Album) NEW US $29.95 Buy It Now 4 days
MAJORS~A WONDERFUL DREAM-I'M A HAPPY MAN~45 NEW~HEAR IT US $4.95 Buy It Now 4 days
BILLY McFARLAND - A HAPPY MAN - CD - New Release US $18.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Colonnials Lazy Mississippi Western Folk Pop 45 NM! Fabor Song of a Happy Man US $5.17 Buy It Now 4 days
Perry Como- Happy Man / Another Go Around -45rpm US $0.99 [0 bids]
B.J. THOMAS HAPPY MAN 1978 LP 33 MSB-6593 SEALED US $39.97 Buy It Now 4 days
BJ THOMAS CHRISTAIN LP..HAPPY MAN..VG PLUS VINYL US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Mike Doughty Soul Coughing - Sad Man Happy Man - U.S. cd - RARE! US $7.17 Buy It Now 4 days
Impact Happy Man Part 1 & 2 Vinyl 45 US $6.29 Buy It Now 4 days
IMPACT: Happy Man (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Jive Five-I'm A Happy Man (VG+) US $6.00 Buy It Now 5 days
JIVE FIVE - IM A HAPPY MAN - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $31.69 Buy It Now 5 days
1132 RONNIE DAVIS-HAPPY MAN-U MAN RITES-REGGAE 45 7" US $49.00 Buy It Now 5 days
GOOD DOG HAPPY MAN BY FRISELL,BILL (CD) US $24.33 Buy It Now 5 days
ROCK 45 - WILD HONEY - WHAT ABOUT OUR LOVE / WILD SENSATIONS - HAPPY MAN 1033 US $11.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Mike Williams - Free Man Happy Man LP Vinyl PRIVATE Folk BFDeal SIGNED RARE US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Frisell Bill - Good Dog Happy Man CD US $18.38 Buy It Now 5 days
Sad Man Happy Man by Mike Doughty (CD, Oct-2009, ATO (USA)) US $6.97 Buy It Now 5 days
Silicone Blondes 'Heaven' DJ 12" CHIC - HAPPY MAN -2002 US $3.23 Buy It Now 5 days
Thomas Lang - The Happy Man (New Version) US $2.27 [0 bids]
The Jive Five (1965 VG+) "I'm A Happy Man & Kiss, Kiss, Kiss " UA # 853 See Pics US $2.99 [0 bids]
Good Dog, Happy Man by Bill Frisell (CD, May-1999, Nonesuch (USA)) US $5.55 Buy It Now 6 days
NOS GREG KIHN BAND ....... HAPPY MAN US $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Thomas Lang - The Happy Man 7" US $6.48 Buy It Now 7 days
DOUGHTY, MIKE-SAD MAN HAPPY MAN CD NEW US $14.88 Buy It Now 7 days
Mike Doughty Sad Man Happy Man 13-trk ADVANCE Promo CD! US $7.69 Buy It Now 7 days
THOMAS LANG feels so right 7" b/w happy man live (7dryc1) pic slv uk dry communi US $8.09 Buy It Now 7 days
THOMAS LANG happy man 7" b/w injury (vow1) pic slv uk epic 1987 US $8.09 Buy It Now 7 days
THOMAS LANG happy man 7" new version b/w skin (vow4) promo sticker on pic slv uk US $8.09 Buy It Now 7 days
THOMAS LANG happy man 7" new version b/w skin (vow4) pic slv uk epic 1987 US $8.09 Buy It Now 7 days
The Jive Five, I'm A Happy Man / Kiss Kiss Kiss, 1965, UA 853, EX! US $29.90 Buy It Now 7 days
THE JIVE FIVE I'M A HAPPY MAN ON UNITED ARTISTS ORIGINAL VG+ US $14.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Frisell, Bill .. Good Dog Happy Man US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
IMPACT HAPPY MAN pt 1 & 2 Atlantic uk issue 10780 US $8.11 Buy It Now 8 days
Good Dog, Happy Man by Bill Frisell -- NEW CD Jazz US $75.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Vizitors Happy Man / For Mary's Sake Capitol 2163 Promo M- Psych 60's Rock US $30.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Michael Watford Happy Man 12" Vinyl Single US $13.37 Buy It Now 8 days
1965 45 rpm VERY CLEAN Late Doo-Wop THE JIVE FIVE I'm A Happy Man United Artists US $9.00 Buy It Now 8 days
HEAR 45 RPM::: THE FABLES Earthquake ~ Happy Man LAYNE 1001 Tennessee Doo Wop US $3.77 Buy It Now 8 days
the JIVE FIVE i'm a happy man U.S. U.A.LP UAL-3455_orig 1965 MINT PERFECT SEALED US $78.75 Buy It Now 8 days
The Impact Northern Soul 45 "Happy Man (pt. 1) " US $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
BROOKLYN BRIDGE 45 Free As The Wind / He's Not A Happy Man - NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Bill Frisell Good Dog Happy Man 2xLP sealed 180 gm vinyl + CD Nonesuch US $33.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Mike Doughty Soul Coughing - Sad Man Happy Man - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! 071214 US $8.97 Buy It Now 9 days
Sunnyboys Happy Man Tribute CD Off The Hip Aussie Powerpop US $17.50 Buy It Now 9 days
Michael Watford "Happy Man" Promo 12" Single Mint US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Bill Frisell Good Dog, Happy Man 12 Track CD 1999 Nonesuch Jazz Ry Cooder US $10.94 Buy It Now 9 days
THOMAS LANG "THE HAPPY MAN, INJURY" 7in P/S UK PRESSING US $7.00 Buy It Now 9 days
The Stephen Barry band - Happy man (CD,1995,Bros) US $2.70 Buy It Now 10 days
Greg Kihn Band-Happy Man(PS) Mint US $6.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Jive Five 45 I'm A Happy Man ~ The Showmen - It Will Stand (Soul) NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Good Dog, Happy Man by Bill Frisell (CD, May-1999, Nonesuch (USA)) US $17.95 Buy It Now 10 days
1976 IMPACT SOUL LP on ATCO - Near Mint / HAPPY MAN US $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Jive Five - IM A Happy Man CD US $27.94 Buy It Now 10 days
BILL FRISELL - GOOD DOG, HAPPY MAN [075597953626] - NEW CD US $12.74 Buy It Now 10 days
THOMAS LANG the happy man VOW T4 uk epic 1987 12" PS EX/EX US $14.57 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy HAPPY THE MAN music online Buy HAPPY THE MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HAPPY THE MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HAPPY THE MAN Beginnings ratings distribution

HAPPY THE MAN Beginnings reviews

Review by Greger
4 stars HAPY THE MAN's "Crafty Hands" from 1978 are one of my favorite albums ever. The recordings on "Beginnings" (1990) are from HAPPY THE MAN's first two years - 1974 and 1975. Five out of the seven songs were recorded with two mikes onto 2-track tape, while the other two were recorded onto 4-track tape. They may not be as good as on "Crafty Hands", but their originality and strong compositions are already shown at this early stage of their career. And although the songs were simple recorded the sound quality is magnificent. The blend of Canterbury, Jazz, Progressive and Symphonic Rock are delicate. They had already found an original style, but there are also traces of CAMEL, CARAVAN, GENESIS, MIRTHRANDIR, PINK FLOYD and VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR in their sound. The music is really intricate and in many ways it reminds a lot of 70's Italian Progressive Rock. This album is a must have for HAPPY THE MAN fans, and I can add another album to my favorites.

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#3399) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Review by NJprogfan
2 stars Sorry, but being a fan of this band going back to 1978, I find the songs on this album to be almost in the "cringing" style. What?, you may ask. Well, what starts out as a somewhat decent instrumental track, "Leave that kitten..." sounds like a lesser track from one of their proper studio albums, somewhat new agey and a bit boring. The next four tracks have vocals. Now, when it comes to songs that give prog that "cheesey" sound, these would fit the bill. Musically, they're the best songs on the album. They all pretty much start out pedestrian with vocals and lyrics that ruin what ends up being some awesome prog as each song reaches the end on a high note. I would say that they rival, to a degree, any of their classics off of the Arista albums musically, but those vocals and those horrible lyrics! UGH! And to make matters worse, the vocals are so poorly recorded it's a pity that any lyrics had to be used. The last two songs are similiar to the first track, better recorded by a mile, but not as adventurous as the vocal tracks. It hard for me to give this album a "good" rating because of the poor vocalization and sound of the middle tracks. But if the instrumental tracks were of high quality, then yes, it would have been at least three stars. But alas, my favorite American prog band's first output only garners a two star rating. Better to get the first two actual studio albums to get an understanding on how REALLY good these guys are.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#81120) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team
3 stars They say it's good to look to the beginnings...and in this case there is nothing wrong with that. While this album is not a masterpiece, and thus can not compare to HTM first two albums, this will provide you with some excellent unrelease material. One thing that I notice is that the heavier use of percussion instruments (such as, woodblocks, sleigh bells, etc), which I think is a nice touch, and a path I wish they would have continued on. Highlights included the fabulous and album worthy Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone. This is the first of many delicious melodys found on this album. And it really takes a turn for the better towards the end. One of the my favorite HTM songs. Don't Look To The Running Sun is another lost gem, IMO. Great lyrics, drumming, guitar, sax...well pretty much everything. This is another one that I feel could have made an album. The album dips a little in the middle, but each song still has something to speak positively for. It ends strong with Broken Waves and Portrait of a Waterfall, which really shows off the softer side of HTM. All the musicians sound like they have been doing this for more years then they have, and stated before, create top notch melodies.

All in all, Beginnings is a great addition to any HTM collection. While people unfamilar with their work should try either HTM or Crafty Hands, this album should not disappoint once you fully digest the essense of Happy The Man. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Man With Hat (BETA) | Report this review (#100176) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars A year after the release of a compilation ("Retrospective"), the fans could grab this "Beginnings". An album with songs from their very debut and never released so far (some fifteen years later).

I am usually septic about such releases. Why were these songs not featured on some previous studio works if they were so good? That's the question.

Five songs are recorded "live" on a two track tape. The band was playing in their own house without any audience. The restoration did take place in 89-90 by Kit Watkins (one of the keyboard players).

The jazzy atmosphere of the opening track is elegant but complex. Already a T of this band in these early days. The cohesion of the band is good during this exercise but unfortunately they won't be able to repeat this throughout the album. The music is very quiet during several songs (limit dull during "Passion's Passing") even if some pastoral fluting is not too bad and little passion perspires from this album, but to be honest, I am not a die-hard fan of HTM.

The jazzy mood is already well present in their repertoire, like in the second part of "Don't Look To The Running Sun". This section is just a boring and useless jam IMO. But overall, this song is not too bad.

My favorite one of this album is also the longest one. Clocking at over eleven minutes, "Gretchen's Garden" is very much "Trespass" oriented. The band had repeated this mood during their official releases and this one is particularly well achieved. Very good vocal harmony, fine keyboards, sweet flute, tranquil mood: you get it all there. The highlight.

On the other end of the specter, "Partly The State" is a very poor song. Vocals a la "Gentle Giant", this jazz number is particularly hard to bear. At least for my ears. And the nice flute break is not enough to raise the level of this other long song.

The jazzy instrumentals "Broken Waves" and "Portrait Of A Waterfall" (both recorded in 1975) close the album on a low note. Not really structured nor melodic, they don't add anything to the credit of the band.

A curiosity. Five out of ten reduced to two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#168108) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 19, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This is a collection of tracks recorded by Happy The Man on their own, mostly in their rehearsal facilities, dating back to before their record contract in the seventies. The sound is mostly light prog, somewhat jazzy, with occasional spurts of energy (much like their studio albums).

While I would not rate this as good as their studio albums, there are some worthwhile pieces to be found. Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone, one of their best titled pieces, after a slow beggining, becomes quite listenable. Passion's Passing has a spacey feel, reminiscent of the verse sections of Pink Floyd's Us & Them. Sadly, Partly The State, the best song on the album, has a fairly poor sound quality. Thedistortion on the vocals (unintended, I would assume), make the song difficult to listen to.

I'd say this is a must for HTM fans, just an okay addition for others.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#262433) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 25, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars This collection of early Happy the Man recordings from their earliest years will doubtless be a must-buy for avid fans of the band who can't get enough Kit Watkins material, but personally I can't recommend it particularly highly. Even setting aside the issues with production quality which are part and parcel of decades-old home recordings such as these (though I must say Cuneiform seem to have done an excellent job of producing listenable mixes from them), the fact is that at this very early stage the band simply hadn't honed their songwriting very much and were still groping towards their distinctive style.

On some songs, they're almost there. Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone, nails the tranquil and mellow atmosphere of some of the best work from the debut or Crafty Hands. Other songs clearly aren't polished products yet, occasionally to a comical extent; Don't Look to the Running Sun comes across as a lazy attempt at Genesis imitation, complete with theatrical-sounding vocals from Cliff Fortney who, bless him, just can't quite pull them off without sounding goofy. The rest of the songs exist between these two extremes. Collectors and fans will be keen on this release, but I can't see it appealing to the rest of us.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#544342) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 06, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars The history of this legendary US group started in 1972, when guitarist Stanley Whitaker and bassist Rick Kennell met in Germany and shared the same admiration for British Progressive Rock.Whitaker was back in USA by the next year and Kennell, who remained in German grounds for a while, introduced him two of his former bandmates, drummer Mike Beck and singer/flautist Cliff Fortney.The original keyboardists were David Bach and Frank Wyatt, the first was soon to be replaced by Kit Watkins.So Happy The Man were born and in 1974 Kennell was back to USA as well with the band starting full rehearsals.Material from this early 1974-1975 period was released in 1990 under the title ''Beginnings'' by Cuneiform.

The love of HAPPY THE MAN for early British Prog is apparent in every track and actually Whitaker and Kennell were both great fans of KING CRIMSON, GENESIS and VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR.Noy surprisingy at all these are the main influences dominating the band's early sound with original singer Cliff Fortney sounding a lot like PETER HAMMILL and, to lesser extent, like PETER GABRIEL.The tracks are quite long with plenty of space for nice psychedelic instrumentals, elaborate symphonic arrangements along with a light jazzy breeze.Happy The Man's early sound lacks any kind of full-blown musicianship and the band was focusing on creating dreamy and atmospheric soundscapes, both in vocal and instrumental parts, with nice use of organ, sax and electric piano in the vein of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR along with floating synth parts, delicate flute passages and melodic guitar solos in the vein of GENESIS.But a ton of a talent could not been that easily hidden, so there are also plenty of moments, where the sound becomes trully rich with some cool complex themes, highlighted by a VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR/KING CRIMSON-ian atmosphere with bombastic sax and organ interplays next to demanding keyboard flights and more adventurous guitar hooks.The result was a band with numerous interesting ideas but far from creating their unique personality.

It can get more Classic Prog-styled than this.Of course it is not HAPPY THE MAN's greatest release or, even more, very far from original, but is it a beautiful archival release with a full hour of previously unreleased material of the band's early days and fans of Classic Prog in the vein of the aforementioned legends should track this down.Warmly recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#755305) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012

4 stars This collection turned out to be an intriguing and surprisingly good acquisition for my collection. I'm happy (.man)! The first track, Wyatt's Leave That Kitten Alone, Armone is a rough diamond which was recorded in July, 1975...a typical HTM meandering piece, it would have fit comfortably ... (read more)

Report this review (#165252) | Posted by Rutgers Joe | Friday, March 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This was my first HTM album and I must admit that I needed to listen to it several times before I could really like it. There's a jazzy approach all through the record that I adore. The material offered in "Beginnings" covers HTM's first two years. The songs are very creative with constant cha ... (read more)

Report this review (#44849) | Posted by DACE | Tuesday, August 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HAPPY THE MAN "Beginnings"