ZEA MICE

Mother Turtle Zea Mice album cover

Buy MOTHER TURTLE Music
Studio Album, released in 2018

1. Zea Mice Part 1-Kukuruzu (6:44)
2. Zea Mice Part 1-#Cornhub (8:06)
3. Zea Mice Part 2-Sea Mice (6:53)
4. Zea Mice Part 2-Zeitenlik (1:21)
5. Zea Mice Part 2-Vermins (6:40)
6. Zea Mice Part 2-Fourward (1:57)
7. Zea Mice Part 3-Vermins(Reprise) (1:11)
8. Zea Mice Part 3-Nostos (16:38)

Total time 49:30

- Kostas Konstantinidis / guitars, MiDi, ukulele, lead & backing vocals, composer
- Giorgos Theodoropoulos / keyboards, programming
- Babis Prodromidis / saxophone
- Alex Kiourntziadis / violin
- George Filopelou / bass
- Giorgos Mpaltas / drums

With:
- Elpida Papakosma / vocals (1,5)
- Aristotelis Mavropoulos / poems reading (4)
- Apostolis Georgiadis / percussion

Artwork: Synodinos Moschidis

FLAC download - bandcamp.com (2018)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy MOTHER TURTLE Zea Mice Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
IIII
$21.99
Mother TurtleMother Turtle
$21.99
Featuring Marsia Shuron Harris Original Soul RockFeaturing Marsia Shuron Harris Original Soul Rock
CD Baby 2005

More places to buy MOTHER TURTLE music online Buy MOTHER TURTLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MOTHER TURTLE Zea Mice ratings distribution

MOTHER TURTLE Zea Mice reviews

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Metal / Heavy / RPI / Symph Prog Team
4 stars The band has evolved in a new direction with this new album which seems weird to consider them a Heavy Prog band. You will hear some space, psychedelic influences and still some jazz parts. They enjoy building their songs like a jam session slowly for most of their songs except for the first track and last one which has a frenetic pace that is more complex with many twists. The songs are developed with such simplicity that it easy to get you hooked in a kind of infectious groove where each instrument is seducing you, starting with the great drums and that heavy sounded bass As for the keyboards, they are still present in the background subtly in the Canterbury style. And what about the great guitar playing of Kostas Konstantinidis. The addition of some violin and sax to the drum/bass combo bring more textures to the overall sound of this brilliant album. I heard influences from bands like Djam Karet and Ozric Tentacles and a lot more in this album that is mostly instrumental. Recommended!
Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars After dropping the surprise bomb on me two years ago with their amazing "II"--a Top 10 Album of 2016 for me--I was super excited when Bandcamp notified me of this new release.

1. "Zea Mice part 1: Kukuruzu" (6:44) opens like a prog song with long-held buzzing solo synth and vocal samples from field recordings in Russian (?) before breaking into a hard-driving, engagingly-themed rocker. Reminds me of The D Project's "Shimmering Lights." Nice work from bass, drums, and saxophone. (8.5/10)

2. "Zea Mice part 1: #Cornhub" (8:06) solid foundational music over which several instrumentalists put on a great show: Alex Kiourntziadis' violin, Kostas Konstantinidis' acoustic and electric guitars, George Theodoropoulos' synths. I love the sound of George Baltas' metronomic snare! Marked down for being little more than a smooth jazz jam song. (9/10)

3. "Zea Mice part 2: Sea Mice" (6:53) a nice smooth jazz groove over which synths, electric guitar, and violin take turns at the fore. I like the violin solo and the tension of the final third the best. (8.75/10)

4. "Zea Mice part 2: Zeitenllik" (1:21) an ominous soundscape over which an obviously scary narration is performed . . . in Greek. (4/5)

5. "Zea Mice part 2: Vermins" (6:40) seems a continuation of "Sea Mice" with the same (or variation of the same) driving groove. The female vocalise of Elpida Papakosma range in sound from Ofra Haza's Persian "scatting" to Björkian Sugarcube-era sounds. Guitar and violin lead us into a thicker, faster section in the fifth minute. The final minute becomes more spacious and synthed, themed around a kind of James Bond riff. Nice tune. (9/10)

6. "Zea Mice part 2: Fourward" (1:57) North African drumming within which piano and synths sneak intermittent riffs. Cool! (4.5/5)

7. "Zea Mice part 3: Vermins (reprise)" (1:11) a stripped down, acoustic version of the Vermins theme? Pretty but I don't hear the similarity. (4.5/5)

8. "Zea Mice part 3: Nostos" (16:38) excellent hard-driving instrumental prog over a techno-synth rhythm track. The final third turns radically into some smoky lounge jazz. Excellent sound but . . . why? (9/10)

It's taken me a long, long time to get up to writing a review of this album--despite the fact that I've owned it for over half the year. There's just a lot of dense music--which is particularly challenging to critique with instrumental music. The quality of performances and "hooks" is high but I really miss the wonderful storytelling that the vocals and instruments did with the previous album.

4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of instrumental progressive rock.

5 stars Mother Turtle from Thessaloniki, Greece, established in 2011. The style is heavy avant-garde, which I personally consider to be one of the best avant-garde rock bands in Greece (hardly one). 16 years I was shocked 2 specifically ordered me hooked (but that is not heavy, more art). They were also inf ... (read more)

Report this review (#1888158) | Posted by mitarai_panda | Wednesday, February 21, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOTHER TURTLE "Zea Mice"