ONES & ZEROS: VOL. 0

Studio Album, released in 2018

1. Re1nstall_0verture (3:56)
2. Connecting (4:53)
3. Olympia (5:15)
4. The Future Doesn't Need You (5:49)
5. Unintended Consequence (3:34)
6. Perfect Babies (4:42)
7. Logical Conclusion (6:40)
8. Click Away! (15:27)
9. Ones & Zeros (7:25)

- George Dobbs / lead & backing vocals, keyboards, percussion, violin
- Robert James Pashman / bass, keyboards, backing vocals
- Patrick Kliesch / acoustic & electric guitars, keyboards, backing vocals
- Robert Durham / drums, percussion
- Eric Pseja / electric guitar, backing vocals
- Bryan Zeigler / electric guitar, backing vocals

- Aaron Nobel / drums, percussion on "Logical Conclusion"
- Sheuh-Li Ong / Theremin on "Olympia"
- Moorea Dickason / Co-lead vocal on "Unintended Consequence"
- Jay Friedman / Additional violin on "Click Farm"
- Ava Penelope Pashman / Spoken voice on "Perfect Babies"

Thanks to 3RDegree for the addition

Buy 3RDEGREE Ones & Zeros: vol. 0 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Ones & Zeroes: Vol. 1Ones & Zeroes: Vol. 1
10T Records 2015
$10.25
The Long DivisionThe Long Division
CD Baby 2012
$11.33
Human Interest Story (Remastered)Human Interest Story (Remastered)
CD Baby 2017
$13.47
The Long Division by 3rdegree (2013-05-04)The Long Division by 3rdegree (2013-05-04)
CD Baby
$33.80
Narrow-Caster by 3rdegree (2008-11-11)Narrow-Caster by 3rdegree (2008-11-11)
CD Baby
$50.39
Hunters Unite (feat. Fluid) - SingleHunters Unite (feat. Fluid) - Single
Starfury Films 2011
$8.98
Narrow-CasterNarrow-Caster
CD Baby 2008
$12.40

More places to buy 3RDEGREE music online Buy 3RDEGREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

3RDEGREE Ones & Zeros: vol. 0 ratings distribution

3RDEGREE Ones & Zeros: vol. 0 reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars New Jersey's gift to intellectually stimulating eclectic and crossover prog is back with the follow-up (or predecessor?!) to 2015's wonderful Ones & Zeroes, Vol. 1.

1. "ReInstall_Overture" (3:57) fast, brash, and poppy, this one let's me know that we're in for a more rock operetta- like adventure here. I'm reminded here of XTC or some of the poppier KING CRIMSON or ASIA music from the 1980s. It's very nice, but not great. (8.75/10)

2. "Connecting" (4:53) bleeds over from the opening overture, quickly adding singing to the mix. There's a cool intensity to this one while the vocals are going on, but then it gets weird between. "You are the [&*!#] tonight" is an odd lyric to throw in there before going back to stronger intensity. The intricate weave is pretty cool in the next section. This is almost feeling like a visual song, a vehicle for a story to be told on stage. (9/10)

3. "Olympia" (5:15) again bleeding over from the previous song, I like the flow of this section of the album. Great melody line for the first verse followed by a nice little instrumental and decent call-and-response chorus. The story is again feeling as if it's being delivered (or should be delivered) on a stage. And a good story it is with Olympia being some kind of AI servant/slave (who goes off like the OS in the film Her). (9/10)

4. "The Future Doesn't Need You" (5:50) continues the story in a much more delicate, emotional way, with the album's best music, best melodies and powerful lyric. (10/10)

5. "Unintended Consequence" (3:35) Broadway, anyone? (8/10)

6. "Perfect Babies" (4:43) Despite continuing the clever tongue-in-cheek story, despite getting stronger as the song goes along, this one just misses. (7.5/10)

7. "Logical Conclusion" (6:40) despite two awesome instrumental sections (from the end of the second minute to 3:18, and 3:55 to 5:15) and a great choral section near the end, this song fails to "hook" me with any melodic or lyrical lines. (8.5/10)

8. "Click Away!" (15:28) an epic that opens with a sound very familiar to those who have luxuriated in the sonic magic of THE FLAMING LIPS' 2002 masterpiece, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. The lyrics (referring to modern humankind's obsession with quick-access information and entertainment) are great but the melody and song dynamics fall a little flat. Despite several shifts and nice injections from chords, riffs, arpeggi, and interesting instruments/sounds, the song never really rises to a level deserving of superlatives. Great sound and melody in the chorus at 3:50. As a matter of fact, it's the "Thank you Click Farm" choruses throughout that are the most engaging highlights of the song. (8/10)

9. "Ones & Zeroes" (7:07) reminding me of a lot of some music by the CARS, this one gets into my brain enough to bring me back for more. For the finale of the story line, I'm not quite sure what the point has been: "It's always been binary code," means ... what exactly? (8.5/10)

I think the failing of this album is in the band's decision to try to be cleverer and quirkier than they needed to be-- especially with vocal melody lines; just too busy! The best song has the most stable and simple melodies.

Four stars; an excellent addition to the prog lexicon--especially to the necessary conversations regarding the values and priorities of "civilized" society. Too bad the album doesn't maintain the high and engaging standard that is sets forth with the first four songs.

Review by LearsFool
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars Listening to this, the new and hotly anticipated 3RDegree album, my first thoughts centered around "Connecting": the band, more aggressive than ever, sings of trolls emerging, not in the high fantasy sense you'd expect from most prog but in the contemporary sense of malicious online hordes more fearsome than the forces of Mordor. Mostly, where Vol. 1 was focused on a parodic, Kafkaesque near future Internet of Things, Vol. 0 - appropriately enough for numerically taking a step back - is a record of the present, of our current technological issues, and from here looking forwards. The lyricism becomes dead serious, but the lyrics, concept, and songs still fail to glitch. And even on this very in-the-now release, the band still finds time for "Olympia", an interesting exploration of relationships with artificial intelligence and the group's fascinating idea of a love song.

Of even greater note are the instrumentals. As mentioned earlier, the band comes charging out of the gate; "Re1nstall_0verture" and "Connecting" form a double whammy of some of their hardest edged material yet, proving quite exhilarating as their sound fleshes out. The tracks, especially the aforementioned three and the suite "Click Away!", prove their best yet. The guitars and keys here are used to their maximum potential, weaving vivid electronic soundscapes, beautiful prog-pop, and driving rock. As the binary switches, 3RDegree has gone into overdrive, crafting another winner.

Review by FragileKings
4 stars Some of you may recall seeing in the #5 position of the 2015 PA Top 100 an album called "Ones & Zeroes ? Volume 1" by a band named 3RDegree. I noticed it, and in early 2016 I ordered a copy and was sufficiently impressed to go ahead and order the previous three albums, all of which have their share of rewards. However, this top-ranking album really stood apart from the others for me. More than a collection of songs, it was a concept album about life extension and ultimately becoming trans-human, i.e. becoming integrated with the Net as an entity, leaving your biological human form behind.

Now with any "volume 1" there can be expected a second volume, and after a long wait, 3RDegree finally released "Ones & Zeroes: vol. 0". Perfect! The duology is now complete!

There was some trepidation on behalf of the band. Would the second part live up to the expectations of listeners who rated volume 1 so highly? From the get go, any doubts just fly out the window. Just plug into the opening track, an instrumental entitled "Re1install_Overture". If that isn't a solid welcome back that'll pull you out of your seat then I don't know what. It's a brilliant start to the album!

Now just let that album play and get into it. We are done with the topic of extending one's existence and so we've also said goodbye to Valhalla Biotech, which I felt added charm and atmosphere to volume 1. But our future modern world is dissected further with the topics of synthetic companions, genetic manipulation of the unborn, click farms, and other technological wonders we are enjoying or on the cusp of benefitting from.

I say this with intended irony because that it how 3RDegree wants you to understand their views of these technological developments. As with the lyrics of any of their albums I know, there is a cynicism masquerading in na´ve optimism. Which brings me round to the opinion that each song has lyrics intended to provoke thought and possibly a little alarm or concern as well. Add to that the unique and skillful vocal delivery of George Dobbs and you have songs that beckon your attention.

3RDegree have no problem coming up with engaging music, but at times you might not really pick up on the prog aspect. Their music often strikes me as 1990's alternative college radio intellectual tunage that was fed and raised on seventies prog. Wait! Was that a bit of Supertramp I heard closing off the album? Maybe it's just my imagination. But anyway, 3RDegree's music is like a complex architectural structure that does its job. No blazing cascades of notes. No overt brandishing of time signatures in your face. No forced stops and starts. Just music that sounds cool and offers more nutrition for the soul than your typical mainstream alternative band.

What else can I say but congratulations to 3RDegree for an album well worth the wait! Now I really want to hear volumes 1 and 0 back to back!

5 stars Ones & Zeros: vol. 0 is another stellar album from 3RDegree and the only problem with it is that if follows the masterpiece Ones & Zeros: vol. 1. Perhaps it is a prequel in the timeline, but I have had no problems listening to either one independently. The band has really progressed since the e ... (read more)

Report this review (#1931756) | Posted by javajeff | Tuesday, May 15, 2018 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I read somewhere that the journey is always more interesting than the actual destination, and that's what we're getting with 3rDegree's latest release of Ones & Zeros Vol. 0. This album is a dynamic, thought-provoking companion to the previous release of Volume 1. The opening overture jumps ... (read more)

Report this review (#1920712) | Posted by thesmokingman | Thursday, May 10, 2018 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 3RDegree is a cross former rock band from New Jersey, United States. Founded in 1990, California guitarist Patrick Kliesch and George Dobbs of New Jersey hit it off, recruiting several other members to form a group. Their ideas and ideas for the album It was joined together via the Internet. Soon th ... (read more)

Report this review (#1918384) | Posted by mitarai_panda | Sunday, April 29, 2018 | Review Permanlink

5 stars In 2015 the always adventurous 3rDegree released what I assume will be their artistic peak. A completely fresh and uncategorizable concept album called Ones And Zeroes Pt 1, it sounded different every time I played it and still does. Working within the limits of niche band economics, they achiev ... (read more)

Report this review (#1917474) | Posted by Greg Jones | Wednesday, April 25, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of 3RDEGREE "Ones & Zeros: vol. 0"