THE FLOCK

Buy THE FLOCK Music
Studio Album, released in 1969

1. Introduction (4:50)
2. Clown (7:42)
3. I Am the Tall Tree (5:37)
4. Tired of Waiting (4:35)
5. Store Bought - Store Thought (7:00)
6. Truth (15:25)

- Ron Karpman / drums
- Rick Canoff / tenor saxophone
- Tom Webb / tenor saxophone
- Frank Posa / trumpet

CD Columbia CK-9911 (1969) / LP Columbia CS-9911 (1969)/ CD Columbia 4694432 (1995) / CD One Way 26657 (1996)

THE FLOCK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE FLOCK The Flock Music

Flock / Dinosaur SwampsFlock / Dinosaur Swamps
Import · Remastered
Bgo - Beat Goes on 2002
FlockFlock
Music on CD 2013

VINYL 12" SINGLE - Flock of Seagulls - The more you love - JIVE T 62 USD $12.54 Buy It Now
A Flock Of Seagulls - Who's That Girl (She's Got It) 7" USD $7.53 Buy It Now 50m 34s
A flock of seagulls-Listen-Rare Original 1983 poster Ad Framed USD $75.33 Buy It Now 1h 18m
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS Self Titled Original 1982 Vinyl LP Album JLB68297 JIVE Record USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $11.40 Buy It Now
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - WISHING RARE 12" PICTURE DISC PROMO SINGLE LP NM NEW WAVE USD $179.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
If You See Me Say Yes - Of Dimes Flock Compact Disc USD $15.28 Buy It Now 2h 48m
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS "I Ran" JIVE UK Import 12" EP new wave / alt LONG VERSION Hear USD $7.99 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS I RAN/PICK ME UP 1982 GERMAN 7"PS USD $8.84 Buy It Now 3h 39m
A Flock Of Seagulls The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls 1986 Jive records HIP 41 USD $4.39 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS Magic MIX & EXTENDED & DANCE & INSTRUMENTAL CD single 1989 USD $23.74 Buy It Now 4h 28m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS WISHING (IF HAD A PHOTOGRAPH OF YOU) JIVE 1982 DUTCH PRESS USD $6.26 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Various K-Tel Hit Explosion LP (Survivor, Rush, Flock of Seagulls, Santana) VG+ USD $12.23 Buy It Now 4h 58m
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS THE STORY OF A YOUNG HEART CASSETTE USD $1.24 [0 bids]
Flock Of Seagulls - The More You Live The More You Love - 45 Rpm 7" Vinyl Record USD $10.41 Buy It Now 7h 17m
THE FLOCK s/t LP OOP late-60's psych-rock USD $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
TOMMY SHEPARD Shepard's Flock CORAL NM- & VG++ Al Cohn, Hal McKusick, Nat Pierce USD $27.99 Buy It Now 8h
A Flock Of Seagulls Transfer Affection Picture Disc 1983 Jive records P 41 USD $3.75 [0 bids]
2 Flock of Seagulls 7" vinyl - Wishing (Photograph of You) + Space Age Love Song USD $2.50 [0 bids]
Flock of Seagulls **Wishing: The Very Best **Brand New 2 CD Set! USD $6.98 Buy It Now 8h 42m
The Flock - Inside Out - LP Record/Vinyl 1975 Mercury Rec. SRM-1-1035 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 42m
The Flock - Dinosaur Swamps - Gatefold Record/Vinyl Columbia Rec. C 30007 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 43m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS The More You Live The More You Love/Lost Control 45 RPM USD $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Esther Coleman He Shall Feed His Flock 78 Rpm Gramophone Record (98) USD $18.83 Buy It Now 8h 54m
A Flock of Seagulls - Nightmares + Rosenmontag - 7" 45 RPM 1983 UK Single! USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9h
THE FLOCK, The Flock (360 label) LP USD $17.00 Buy It Now 9h 17m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS LOT OF 3 CASSETTES LISTEN THE STORY FREE SHIPPING USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Flock of Seagulls "Story of a Young Heart" 1984 Arista 8250 NM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 12m
We Are The '80s - Flock Of Seagulls (CD Used Very Good) USD $4.31 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Flock of Seagulls NM 45 rpm "The More You Live, The More You Love" USD $2.00 Buy It Now 11h 47m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS vs bp vs Effcee - I Ran (so far away) Remix 12 inch USD $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS A Flock of Seagulls 25AP2475 LP Ft3031 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Psych Jazz Prog THE FLOCK ~ Dinosaur Swamps ~ COLUMBIA LP US Press USD $16.00 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Prog Jazz Psych THE FLOCK ~ SELF TITLED ~ 1969 ORIGINAL 360 STEREO LP USD $18.00 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Guy Farley : The Flock [OST][digipak] CD (2009) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 55m
Flock Ruben Machtelinckx Audio CD USD $32.55 Buy It Now 13h 8m
DEBUT MAGAZINE ISSUE 5 VARIOUS VINYL/MAGAZINE CHURCH VISAGE FLOCK VG+ USD $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Flock - Flock CD-JEWEL CASE USD $17.28 Buy It Now 14h 10m
A Flock Of Seagulls (Expanded) - Of Seagulls Flock Compact Disc USD $15.66 Buy It Now 14h 15m
Rock Pop 8 Cassette New Wave U2 Depeche Mode Scandal Pet Shop Boys Flock Seaguls USD $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 46m
A Flock Of Seagulls vinyl LP album record The Story Of A Young Heart UK HIP14 USD $17.51 Buy It Now 16h 14m
ULTIMIX 132 CD A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS LUMIDEE KAT DELUNA Information Society USD $18.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Never Again - Poster Sleeve A Flock Of Seagulls 7" vinyl single record UK USD $13.75 Buy It Now 17h 4m
Millionaire Outside The Simian Flock UK CD album (CDLP) PIAS061CD PIAS 2001 USD $11.91 Buy It Now 17h 9m
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS Listen 1983 Zomba LP Album in EX+!! USD $3.95 Buy It Now 17h 31m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS : CUTTINGS COLLECTION -adverts interviews- USD $7.53 Buy It Now 18h 36m
A flock of Seagulls - Wishing / Committed - Arista 45 RPM Record Picture Sleeve USD $4.95 Buy It Now 19h 19m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 4 X 12" SINGLES UK ISSUES 1982 TO 1986 USD $12.55 [0 bids]
Bell X1 - Flock Kang & Music 2008 Audio CD Sealed $2.99 Ship USD $15.99 Buy It Now 20h 53m
A Flock Of Seagulls Nightmares 7" Jive JIVE33 EX/VG 1983 picture sleeve, Nightm USD $8.15 Buy It Now 22h 3m
A Flock of Seagulls - Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) Rare/N Mint UK 12" USD $16.31 Buy It Now 22h 8m
A Flock Of Seagulls Transfer Affection 7" Jive JIVE41 EX/EX 1983 picture sleeve, USD $8.15 Buy It Now 23h
Takemitsu/a Flock Descends Into The... (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $15.33 Buy It Now 23h 32m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS UK 1983 12" Single TRANSFER AFFECTION Disc=NearMINT USD $5.64 Buy It Now 23h 36m
A Flock Of Seagulls Who's That Girl 7" Jive JIVE106 EX/EX 1985 picture sleeve, W USD $8.15 Buy It Now 23h 49m
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - WISHING (IF I HAD A PHOTOGRAPH OF YOU) - 7" VINYL SINGLE USD $1.26 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS 'WISHING' UK 7" SINGLE USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
A flock of seagulls clock- the more you live 7" vinyl record clock gift USD $12.54 Buy It Now 1 day
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS-BEST OF A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS CD NEW USD $7.47 Buy It Now 1 day
WHAM*BLUE ZOO*JAPAN*A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS....(VINYL LP)*1308 USD $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
THE FLOCK TIRED OF WAITING FOR YOU 45 CBS 1969 USD $0.63 [1 bids]
Bell X1 - Flock - Promotional Giveaway CD - Enhanced CD - 1219 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bell X1 - Flock (CD, 2006, Universal) Music Album USD $6.80 Buy It Now 1 day
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS Who's That Girl MADE IN SPAIN LAUREN BACALL ON COVER 7" USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GRATEFUL DEAD/PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC&THE FLOCK THEWAREHOUSE OPENING 1970 USD $64.00 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS DEBUT 1982 33 VINYL LP RECORD EXCELLENT USD $38.46 Buy It Now 1 day
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS LISTEN 1983 33 VINYL LP RECORD EXCELLENT USD $38.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Red Shepard & The Flock: She's A Grabber / I can't Hold On 45 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Flock Self Titled Lp USD $6.26 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS "Space Age Love Song & I Ran" 12" Vinyl DJ Electro Synth-Pop USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Gospel 45 Lura Stone And Lydia Summers - He Shall Feed His Flock, Come Unto Him USD $7.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Best of a Flock of Seagulls, New Music USD $11.63 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best of A Flock of Seagulls [Jive] by A Flock of Seagulls (CD, Feb-1991,... USD $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Tour de Flock Live at the Point Audio CD USD $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE FLOCK self titled Jerry Goodman Frank Posa Fred Glickstein 2 eye LP w insert USD $11.97 Buy It Now 1 day
A Flock Of Seagles The Best Of Used CD USD $3.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Eye Theory Vagrant Flock CD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Flock of Seagulls Backtrax USA With Kid Kelly CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS: THE STORY OF A YOUNG HEART CASSETTE GERMAN IMPORT USD $17.47 Buy It Now 1 day
"The Flock" Columbia Records Psych LP USD $8.99 [0 bids]
A Flock Of Seagulls 7" record Who's That Girl + Picture Di... UK USD $16.26 Buy It Now 1 day
THE FLOCK-dinosaur swamps '70 DUTCH CBS LP ORIG+LAM. PSYCH ROCK USD $31.39 Buy It Now 1 day
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - LISTEN (EXPANDED) CD NEW+ USD $21.86 Buy It Now 1 day
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS Listen French magazine ADVERT / Poster 11x8 inches USD $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
The Weight - Prisoners of the flock CD 2012 Digipak new USD $1.24 Buy It Now 1 day
The Flock Guy Farley (Audio CD) USD $11.24 Buy It Now 1 day
FLOCK New CD USD $10.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Flock-Heaven Bound CD NEW USD $16.27 Buy It Now 1 day
The Album 1969 Stereo LP VG++ Illinois Speed Press Byrds Flock Spirit USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Godley Creme~Freeze Frame~1979 Japan 1st Press~Simple Minds~Flock Of Seagulls~ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
A Flock Of Seagulls vs BP vs Effcee I Ran So Far Away New Year's Day 12" Sealed USD $12.72 Buy It Now 2 days
THE FLOCK 2LP ~ NETHERLANDS HOLLAND CBS IMPORT NM Self Titled ~ PROG PSYCH 1972 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS / SPACE AGE LOVE SONG / JIVE T 17 / 12" 45 RPM 1982 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS SAME CBS/SONY 25AP 2475 Japan OBI Vinyl LP USD $1.25 [2 bids]
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS THE STORY OF A YOUNG HEART LP WITH INNER SLEEVE 366 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE FLOCK Self Titled 1972 LP Vinyl Record Album holland press jazz prog USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
THE FLOCK goodman glickstein ORGL 1969 US ISSUE JAZZ PSYCH PROG ROCK LP USD $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
FLOCK OF SEASGULLS - Wishing - 7" Single EX Con USD $2.55 Buy It Now 2 days
A Flock of Seagulls-(Its not me)Talking 12" USD $1.24 [0 bids]
A Flock of Seagulls-Telecommunication 12" USD $1.24 [0 bids]
PROG vinyl PROMO in store LP w/ LOVECRAFT GREENSLADE SPIRIT FLOCK NICKY HOPKINS USD $15.96 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy THE FLOCK music online Buy THE FLOCK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE FLOCK The Flock ratings distribution

THE FLOCK The Flock reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars 2.5 stars really!!

Signed on the CBS brass-rock craze after BS&T's mega success, than Chicago Transit Authority's much more prog success, Columbia signed also the eclectic Illinois Speed Express, the psychedelic Aorta and the brassy The Flock, all three also from Chicago and releasing their debut album the same month as CTA did as well. Apparently a marketing plan to create a Chicago scene, this ploy actually worked since three of the four albums recoded two albums (not going further than that, but we all know what a monster Chicago became. Alas, CBS wouldn't enjoy the same brassy success than with BS&T and CTA, even if both their albums sold quite well at the time.

Opening on the judiciously-named Introduction, a slow-developing instrumental violin feast, actually Jerry Goodman's worst moment IMHO (he was the latest addition to the group), as he's just not deciding whether he's playing a violin or a fiddle. After such a non-representative start, TF comes with the much more Flock-ish Clown, which sounds very BS&T brassy, but the middle section is full-blown prog and ends up in a mad bluesy outro. Tall Tree seems more like a good Vanilla Fudge track, at least until Goodman's violin entrance (leader Rick Canoff's sax and vocals being the main other attraction and brings this VF dimension), but the track is over-staying its welcome. Tired of Waiting starts again on Goodman's fiddle but once the group is in swing, we're in a totally different world, although the violin accompanies the group through the verses but not the VF-like choruses, where Glickstein's fuzz guitar works well.

The flipside is made of only two tracks, the first of which Store Bought where TF's other leader Fred Glickstein's guitar pulls a real show with his guitar fighting off the brass squad, the track fading into a jazzy-blues intermezzo, gradually picking back up speed enough (Goodman is also on guitar, and I believe he's the one playing in the break), and once the energy gathered, the band returns to its funky soul-beat. The 15-mins-monster track Truth is a slow blues where Glickstein and the boys go through the motion rather convincingly, but they're still going from one cliché to another. It holds some real best-forgotten meanders, most notably the violin gradual build-up, going way over its welcome. Once the build-up is complete,the band resumes unsurprisingly to the groovy blues that had opened, but first talking a few unnecessary meanders more.

Actually most of the doubts one could have about Goodman's real belonging in the group is a bit real: his contributions are often so different than what the rest of the band is doing, that it often feels that it was just stuck or wedged in the rest of the group. Part of the reason why I think this is that Goodman's violin recording sound choice are irksome for me. While TF developed an honest brass rock, it's clear they were Flocking an almost dead horse, with CTA and BS&T and Electric Flag saying whatever there was to say and that many of the much more inventive British counterparts couldn't bring to attention

Review by Gatot
4 stars This is a classic album featuring violin master Jerry Goodman whom later joined Mahavishnu Orchestra. I also owned his solo album "Ariel" that sounded differently than The Flock. One thing that triggered me to purchased this album was the use of violin, especially in progressive rock. This album may favor those who like or can appreciate fusion music and may NOT favor those who like progressive metal or even symphonic progressive. The music of The FLOCK reminds me to bands like CHAZE, CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY (before it later became CHICAGO only) or BLOOD, SWEAT and TEARS. They are not closely alike but they same to be in the same family, I think. So, if you only love Genesis like or Dream Theater like, forget about this CD - it will be a waste for you. But, if you like brass rock or fusion or bands like I mentioned above, yeah man . this one is for you!

The album kicks off with "Introduction" (4:50) that basically introduces you to the sort of music they play - well, not really because it contains an exploration of violin solo and guitar fills in quiet passage. It flows to "Clown" (7:42) in exactly the same vein like CHAZE - the band whom all the members died tragically in a plane crash - or CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY. Oh man, this track is so powerful in compositions: solid bass lines, excellent improvisations, great solos and good melody that projects an image of classic rock tunes. The third track "I Am the Tall Tree "(5:37) continues with a mellow style vocal and guitar / violin at opening part and it flows with some influence of blues and jazz music. It reminds me to the music of BLOOD, SWEAT and TEARS.

"Tired of Waiting" (4:35) gives an opportunity for violin to do long solo during opening part. It flows to classic rock style with great violin and guitar solo. The fifth track "Store Bought - Store Thought" (7:00) is one of my favorite as it has stunning guitar solo - relatively long - during opening part accompanied with excellent brass section and seventies singing style.

"Truth" (15:25) concludes the album with some blues touch - nice one - that reminds us to blues-based rock bands like BLIND FAITH, CUBY + THE BLIZZARD, LIVIN' BLUES, KEEF HARTLEY band PLUS great violin and brass section. I love the singing style as well as the combination between violin, guitar solo and brass section that make up this excellent composition. The exploration of trumpet and tenor saxophone in the middle of this track is truly excellent.

Recommended! (for those who like Chaze, Chicago Transit Authority, BS&T and sort of jazz/blues music. For those who like only music like Dream Theater or only Genesis, forget this album!). After all ..keep on proggin'!!!!

Progressively yours,

GW

Review by greenback
4 stars As I already said before in a Darryl Way's Wolf review, bands who play simultaneously electric violin and electric guitar are rare; The Flock belong to this select group. As if it was not enough, a very inspiring Zappa-esque mini-brass section garnishes furthermore the melodies, often falling into a refined fusion style: because of all that, The Flock remains a very unique band, capable of being hard rock, big band, bluesy, psychedelic, fusion or even folk: that's why we can classify them as an art rock artist, since they can borrow different musical styles. The Hendrixian & Zeppelin-esque restless running bass patterns contribute to make catchy rhythmic tracks easy to follow. There are absolutely NO keyboards involved on this record. The violinist Jerry Goodman here has a pretty similar style to Stephane Grapelli. The drums & bass free "Introduction" track is absolutely unique & progressive for 1969!
Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars It is very bizarre that this album ended up in my home in 1972 because jazz-rock and brass were not my cup of tea (and still aren't).

Actually, I first came in contact with The Flock in 1971. I got a CBS sampler album on loan ("Fill Your Head With Rock") and one of the tracks featured was "Tired Of Waiting" which is featured here as well. I liked it and while I was lying in my bed in 1972 (the whole year actually), I used my mail order system to buy this album.

Since my eldest cousin was doing his military service in Germany, he could purchase record at half price. Needless to say that I used this option substantially during this year.

So, the first time I listened to this album, I was a bit disappointed since there was a lot of sax and an overall jazzy mood. But I kept on listening to it (I had basically nothing else to do since I couldn't walk for more than ten months) and I managed to even like this album (although moderately).

Music here is diverse : the great violin play especially during "Introduction" but not only is definitely a highlight of this album. The great jamming capabilities of this band being another one (the instrumental section of "Clown" for instance). Subtle music and beautiful vocal ("I Am The Tall Tree") adds another string to their bow; that's a given.

Their style is very unique. Remember, this was recorded in 1969. To have a full time violinist was not common in those days. And this introduction was rather successful. But to be honest, I had not listened to this album for a very, very long time. I did it some three years ago as well as today for the purpose of this review.

I have to say that my opinion about "Tired of Waiting" has changed a bit. Not as great as I thought. Vocals are excellent and as usual, Jerry Goodman is fabulous. Not bad a track at the end of the day. And the same impression prevails about S"tore Bought.". Even if there is a good guitar section, the brass parts are too much in here.

This album closes on "Truth", the epic track of the album. Over fifteen minutes of a heavy bluesy mood. This one has always been difficult to listen to. Even if there are some cues, this seems widely improvised style; brass being over dominating. Great violin solo again, but you have been used to this by now. It ends up as a complete chaos.

I have been brought back some thirty-six years ago. A souvenir of my youth. I guess that it is always nice (even if '72 was rather painful for me as far as health is concerned). I will rate this work with three stars, sentimentally. An original and different album.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Columbia Records seemed to have a hankering for these brassy rock bands with complex arrangements and jazz-fusion arrangements back in the late sixties and early seventies. Among the biggest were Chicago and Santana (San Francisco), as well as Weather Report, Steely Dan and Blood, Sweat & Tears from New York, most if not all of them inspired by the likes of Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie but with a firm grounding in rock sensibilities and showmanship as well. The Flock never achieved the same level of recognition as any of these bands, but managed to crank out a couple of pretty decent albums before fracturing with the departure of violinist Jerry Goodman for Mahavishnu Orchestra.

This debut album is rather brief compared to some of the more grandiloquent and lengthy early releases by some of their peers, particularly Chicago and BS&T. And Goodman's electric violin overshadows most of the music, with the brass section playing a complementary role but not dominating as did the horns of the other brass-rock bands of the era. In fact, the first two tracks on this album ("Introduction" and "Clown") are virtually primers on how to employ a violin on a rock album, with "Introduction" being nearly a Goodman solo save for mellow percussion rhythm and a bit of guitar.

The other interesting tracks here are the pompous cover of the Kinks "Tired of Waiting" and the lengthy jam "Truth". "Tired of Waiting" is enhanced by significant fuzzed guitar and a fleshed out the bass line that far exceed the original, in addition to a brief but impressive appearance of Goodman's violin toward the end. "Truth" features the most brass on the album but the band still can't resist adding a lengthy and sometimes disjointed violin solo midway through before descending into a rather glorious brass/bass jam session. Despite the constant comparisons to Chicago, other than the violin this song sounds more like the first Chicago album than anything else on the record.

The only track that borders on filler is "Store Bought - Store Thought" with it's overemphasis of rather weak vocals and lack of general direction. A modestly decent tune but not on par with the rest of the record.

This was an interesting debut by a band that showed considerable talent and promise as the seventies dawned. Unfortunately they were unable to capitalize and despite a couple more records the Flock would disintegrate before the decade reached its midpoint. A good though not great album, but mildly recommended to anyone who has ever been a fan of jam-length, brassy music in the vein of Chicago and the like. Three stars.

peace

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'The Flock' - The Flock (52/100)

Even while many of the then-obscure acts of the late 60s and early 70s have earned the status of legend, The Flock remains something of a footnote. They're probably best known for being an early home to violinist Jerry Goodman (of Mahavishnu Orchestra glory) but when speaking of their music it's probably best to talk about them in the context of the contemporaneous 'brass rock' scene with which they were a part of. The fusion of driving rock and trumpet embellishments were flagshipped most notably by Blood, Sweat & Tears and the Chicago Transit Authority (better known to FM radio acolytes as Chicago), but there were plenty of imitators that didn't fare nearly so well. The Flock would go on to release two albums following this self-titled debut, but they ultimately failed to realize the potential of their sound. With two saxophonists, a trumpeter and the aforementioned violinist backing up the more conventional rock musicians, I might have expected to hear The Flock bring a higher degree of sophistication to their music than they do. The Flock's debut is a fairly middling rock record with unessential jazz elements sprinkled overtop- the tired psychedelia and American blues rock fetishism aren't anything special, but it's the potential a seven-piece had to become so much more that makes The Flock's debut feel so disappointing.

It's a common criticism I have for many debut albums, but The Flock don't seem to have totally figured out where they want to go musically on this debut. The uninventively named "Introduction" suggests a focus on violins, whereas "Clown" offers up a strong blend of blues rock and jazz-tinged jamming. On the other side, "Truth" unfolds as a dreadfully overdrawn slow blues jam. "Store Bought - Store Thought" sees the band even try their hand at tepid science fiction themes. A more ambitious act could have made these ideas work together, but- to put it bluntly- The Flock aren't particularly good at songwriting. All of the album's greatest moments are when the music starts to take a more improvised turn (see "Introduction"); even then however, The Flock can't seem to figure out how to maximize the use of their jazz instruments.

Frontman Fred Glickstein's voice isn't a mile away from that of the immortal Robert Plant, although he lacks the distinctive charisma that made Zeppelin's frontman spectacular; the vocals on this album however range from that to weak falsettos and headscratching pseudo-opera- believe me when I say it's not nearly as interesting or groundbreaking as it might sound on paper! Although four of the seven musicians in The Flock are playing non-rock instruments, they never seem to figure out how to make proper use of the potential. The trumpets and saxophones are used as a light embellishment at most, and the abundant jams on the album are utterly typical for British rock at the turn-of-the-decade. Not surprisingly, it's Jerry Goodman's violin that earns the lion's share of respect on the album. "Introduction" is a pleasantly misleading track, focusing predominantly on Goodman's violin, even hinting at a possible avant-garde approach with the dissonant and playful way the instrumental unfolds. Of course, that's an exception to the rule. Suffice to say, fans of the Mahavishnu Orchestra will likely find this album horribly underwhelming; even if Goodman's work with electric violin is excellent, there are far better albums you can hear him playing on.

The Flock isn't a bad band, nor is their self-titled a bad album. With so many bands of this ilk forming flash-in-the-pan careers around the same time however, it's pretty difficult to get excited over what they were doing here. Overall, the impression is one of disappointment. The Flock had unconventional instruments enough to do something really interesting stylistically, and instead they stay clung to middling slow blues jams, Kinks covers and wimpy songs about robots. There was potential greatness lurking in The Flock, but like so many others, they failed to achieve the level of focus that needed to unlock it. A shame, really.

4 stars Here is my review of ''The Flock'' album.."Introduction'' is basically a violin solo song,while the next 3 song's ''Clown'',''I'm A Tall Tree'',and ''Tired of Waiting'' are good song's. The real highlight of the album is side 2,with the song's "Store Bought-Store Thought'',and the 15.5 minute ... (read more)

Report this review (#113517) | Posted by jasonpw. | Sunday, February 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I played in a neighourhood band from 1966 to 1971 in Oakville, Ontario, and we played all of the public schools, high schools, frat and sorority parties in the pre-GTA. We started with The Rascals, Ther Grass Roots (pre-CTA), converted to R & B (Wilson Pickett, Booker T., et al ) then discov ... (read more)

Report this review (#30872) | Posted by | Saturday, December 4, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE FLOCK "The Flock"