WHEN THE DUST SETTLES

Buy SALMON Music
Studio Album, released in 2004

1. King for a Day (9:22)
2. Grey Velvet (6:26)
3. Time to Fantasize (19:27)
4. September Weeps (7:05)
5. Three (7:46)
6. Dubious Dried Ink (8:20)

Total time: 58:29

Search SALMON When The Dust Settles lyrics

Search SALMON When The Dust Settles tabs

- Sven de Haan / bass, bass pedals, backing vocals
- Gerrit Hoogenbeen / acoustic & electric guitars, backing vocals
- Jan Jaap Langereis / lead vocals, keyboards
- Michel Nieuwenhuis / drums, percussion

SALMON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SALMON When The Dust Settles Music

When The Dust Settles...When The Dust Settles...
Self-Produced

More places to buy SALMON music online Buy SALMON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SALMON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SALMON When The Dust Settles ratings distribution

SALMON When The Dust Settles reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I am totally stunned that there are no reviews with a comment for this good Dutch band. OK, they don't play in the major league, they might sound retro-prog; but still: their music is very pleasant and should draw much more of your attention. I just hope that justice will be done with my humble contribution.

When you listen to this album, you will be brought into some of the great bands who are the heart and soul of this site. Some might find this irritating (and I belong to these at times as well) but this is a nice trip into past glory; but with some modern and catchy touch.

The opener "King Of A Day" should please any "Yes" or "Genesis" fans (in terms of music) combined with "Gentle Giant" ones (for some vocal parts). Complex and simple at the same time, this fine symphonic piece is an excellent start.

I even find that Japp Langereis has improved in his vocal duties in comparison with their debut album. His name is also funny (but you need to grab some Dutch to get it): it literally means long trip. This song holds a fine melody and even borrows some lines to "Watcher Of The Skies" of which you might have heard already.(ah, quand tu nous tiens.).

A song as "September Weeps" is so moving, so melodic. the delicate piano play is outstanding and what to say about but a so emotional guitar break. Some might find this mellow, but I am just found of these moments. A fine track indeed.

The shadow of Watcher is again hanging over the intro of "Three". I might be on a good mood tonight but I really like these seventies sounds which are making every second of this track a pretty good and wonderfully symphonic matter. This is a fine instrumental which can be also related to ELP of course. And I like it quite a bunch.

The closing "Dubious Dried Ink" also holds some gorgeous synth parts. OK, they are Banks oriented, but I told you, I'm in a good mood tonight and I am so enchanted with those sounds from my youth. Did I say nostalgia?

To be complete, there is an almost twenty minutes epic song called "Time To Fantasize" as well. The intro is a splendid band's work: each of the musician being so much in line with his colleagues; and to perform this gentle yet sophisticated music is such a beautiful treat.

If I had one negative comment about "Time.", it would be the lead vocals which are closer to the ones of their debut album than what we could experience on "When The Dust Settles". But even if most of this track is on the mellowish side, there are some fine synths and GG type of vocals. Some will say: again. But they are so pleasant.

IMHHO this good Dutch band holds the symphonic flag pretty high in the prog sky. Together with their excellent Dutch colleagues "Knight Area". Two good examples of the lively Dutch scene. It is a pity though that so little information is available from this band.

I like this album very much. When I discovered it, I rated with "Y" which means "Yes" which means five stars in my jargon. I wouldn't rate it that high for my official post (it is somewhat too derivative to achieve the highest rating) but I grant it four stars.

This is a very good achievement and a very enjoyable album. From A to Z. A fantastic return to days I would like to return to. Unfortunately it is physically not possible; but musically, such a good work helps.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#188255) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 07, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Although I thought I had quite some knowledge about the dutch prog scene thanks to some friends in there (hi Erik & Henk!), I had never heard about this band till very recently when I found this CD totally by chance in a friendīs house. It amazed me that such talented and strong group is hardly mentioned on the many prog forums I visited. Nevertheless, it is always good to discover such fine piece of work.

The production of the album is very good, and I was amazed to find that Salmon is only a quartet. They play like a seven member outfit! Their sound is a good mix of many different influences played through some modern hands. There are hints of Yes, Genesis and others, but generally they have a sound of their own. Their Gentle Giant-like harmony vocals are some of the more tasteful and beautiful I have ever heard: it fitted their style like a glove. Much better then a lot of groups that seem to try emulate GG without ever grasping that legendary bandīs knack for the simple tune (yes, behind all their complexity GG knew all along that less is more!).

The CD has no highlights, all the songs deserve a careful listen. The tracks are quite varied and yet retain a cohesive whole. Even if it is not perfect, When The Dust Settles shows that Salmon has both the chops and the songwriting skills to become one of progīs most proeminent acts to appear in latter days. If you, like me, never heard of Salmon, then there is still time to find this little symphonic gem. Iīm looking forward to hear their future works. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#220805) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009

4 stars Music refined on a good foundation of keyboards, and arpeggiated guitars. The voice is also characteristic and protagonist. A good rhythmic bass accompaniment, and drums neat, punctual. It is a product rather thoughtful and to listen carefully. Especially in Time to Fantasize perceived this. ... (read more)

Report this review (#979296) | Posted by sinslice | Sunday, June 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the nicest surprises so far this year. This Dutch band is under most proggers radar, but really deserves the scene's full recognition. The mood and style of this album reminds me a lot about Cathedral's superb debut album Stained Glass Stories. Just a lot less heavier and more baroque. ... (read more)

Report this review (#224416) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, July 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SALMON "When The Dust Settles"