INNOCENT VICTIM

2. Cheat 'N' Lie (4:50)
3. The Dance (4:49)
4. Choices (5:42)

BONUS TRACKS ON 1997 REMASTERED CD:
1. Illusion / Masquerade LLUSION / MASQUERADE (8:18) full unedited version, Masquerade was single b-side
2. The River (3:07) Out-take, released for the first time on 'A Time Of Revelation' (1996)

Search URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim lyrics

Search URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim tabs

- Mick Box / guitars
- John Lawton / vocals
- Ken Hensley / keyboard, guitars, vocals
- Lee Kerslake / drums, vocals
- Trevor Bolder / bass

1977 UK: Bronze BRON 504

URIAH HEEP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim Music

Mca Special Products 2006
The Ultimate CollectionThe Ultimate Collection
Remastered · Import
Sanctuary Records 2003
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep
Island Def Jam 2001
LiveLive
Mercury 1989
Sweet FreedomSweet Freedom
Extra tracks · Import
Universal I.S. 2004
Live '73 Expanded: Deluxe EditionLive '73 Expanded: Deluxe Edition
Phantasm Imports 2010
Uriah Heep Head First Mercury SRM 1 4073 Canada original Inner Sleeve VG++ LP US $12.49 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble - Vertigo - 6360 006 - UK / Canada VG++ LP US $499.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
URIAH HEEP - CONQUEST [UK EXPANDED DELUXE EDITION] - NEW CD US $29.63 Buy It Now 2h 38m
URIAH HEEP - DIFFERENT WORLD [CASTLE BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $27.19 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself CD UNIVERSAL SPECIAL PRODUCTS US $9.59 Buy It Now 3h 20m
URIAH HEEP LIVE 1973 1ST , LAMINATED, BOOKLET ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $80.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
The Best of Uriah Heep [Mercury] by Uriah Heep (CD, Jul-1976, Mercury) US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards Cassette MCR 4-1-630 ORIGINAL from 1972 US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
URIAH HEEP LIVE RARE YUGOSLAV PRESSING DOUBLE LP VG/EX- US $29.96 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Uriah Heep vintage LP's ...Magician's Birthday... Demons and Wizards... + 2 jack US $10.00 [0 bids]
5h
URIAH HEEP Best Of LP Rare New Zealand Demostration Pressing US $175.00 [0 bids]
ACETATE / URIAH HEEP - EASY LIVIN / RETURN TO FANTASY / US $249.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
URIAH HEEP Firefly - CD DA Distr. import UKRAINE - BONUS ALTERN. US $16.90 Buy It Now 5h 46m
URIAH HEEP Wake the Sleepers - CD DA Distr. import UKRAINE US $16.90 Buy It Now 5h 48m
URIAH HEEP High and Mighty - CD DA Distr. import UKRAINE US $16.90 Buy It Now 5h 50m
URIAH HEEP Return to Fantasy - CD DA Distr. import UKRAINE - BONUS UNRELEA US $16.90 Buy It Now 5h 52m
URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim - CD DA Distr. import UKRAINE - BONUS tracks US $16.90 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Uriah Heep Import Only Island Bronze Comp LP 1975 US $14.00 Buy It Now 6h 28m
URIAH HEEP -EASY LIVIN' 7" 1972 -RARE SPANISH UNIQUE PS **PROMO** HARD PROG US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
LP GERMANY PRESS - URIAH HEEP (VERY EAVY VERY UMBLE) - 1970 - ISLAND 85 690 IT US $50.00 Buy It Now 7h 39m
LP GERMANY PRESS - URIAH HEEP (FALLEN ANGEL) - 1978 - BRONZE 26 449 + CALENDER US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
EUROPEAN TEAM - SPORT ALIVE -SEALED 12" EP MOTORHEAD VENOM URIAH HEEP GIRLSCHOOL US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 45m
URIAH HEEP - Rarities From The Bronze Age (Sequel #NEX CD 184 - UK, 1991) - IMP US $14.99 [1 bids]
URIAH HEEP - The Best Of. Part 2 (Castle Communications #CMACD 534 - USA, 1999) US $14.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP - Return To Fantasy (Sequel Records #1001-2 - USA, 1996) - MINT CD US $14.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP - Equator (Columbia/Sony Music #493339 2 - UK, 1985) - IMP CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP CELEBRATION RARE ORIGINAL OFFICIAL UK RECORD COMPANY POSTER US $16.96 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin' (2006) NEW/SEALED 24HR POST US $4.62 Buy It Now 9h 2m
URIAH HEEP - WAKE THE SLEEPER - BRAND NEW SEALED MINI LP CD - SHIPS FROM NY US $17.98 Buy It Now 9h 8m
URIAH HEEP REVELATIONS CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P&P! US $152.74 Buy It Now 9h 21m
URIAH HEEP RAGING SILENCE CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P&P! US $152.74 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Uriah Heep - Equator (CD 2010) - 24HR POST!!! US $16.96 Buy It Now 9h 39m
URIAH HEEP DEMONS & WIZARDS CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P& US $152.74 Buy It Now 9h 43m
URIAH HEEP - THE DEFINITIVE SPITFIRE YEARS - NEW CD US $6.81 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Look at Yourself by Uriah Heep (CD, May-2006) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - The Best Of - Mercury - SRM 1-695 - Canada - VG++/VG++ LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Uriah Heep - Official Bootleg Series [CD New] US $82.66 Buy It Now 10h 36m
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents In Concert by Uriah Heep (CD, Jun-1997, King B US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 43m
URIAH HEEP - OFFICIAL BOOTLEG SERIES (IMPORT) NEW CD US $101.32 Buy It Now 10h 49m
URIAH HEEP, LOOK AT YOURSELF - TAIWAN STEREO LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 11h
THE BEST OF URIAH HEEP RECORD ALBUM VINYL US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards [Vinyl New] US $29.81 Buy It Now 11h 24m
URIAH HEEP SALISBURY CASSETTE US $11.88 Buy It Now 11h 45m
URIAH HEEP - Abominog - Mercury - SRM-1-4057 - VG US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Uriah Heep "Uriah Heep Live" (SRM-2-7503) - Vinyl / 2xLP / Gatefold / VG+ US $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 30m
? Uriah Heep - Best of (Mercury 1-1070) (with "Gypsy") US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 19m
URIAH HEEP DEMONS AND WIZARDS JAPAN EMPTY BOX FOR MINI LP CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - Anthology RAW LP 012 UK 2LP 1985 Raw Power US $15.28 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - Conquest BRONX 524 UK LP 1980 Bronze US $3.39 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - Salisbury ILPS 9152 UK LP 1970 Bronze US $11.88 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday CLALP 109 UK LP 1986 recorded 1972 US $3.39 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live 1973 BRSP 1 UK 2LP 1977 Bronze + Booklet US $11.88 [0 bids]
Lot of (4) metal LPs VANDENBERG michael schenker URIAH HEEP saxon MAGICIANs BDAY US $6.50 [2 bids]
ROUGH DIAMOND 1977 LP URIAH HEEP DAVID BYRON humble pie VG+ HARD ROCK US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 21m
CD Lost Gems ~ Various Artists: ELP, GTR, Humble Pie, Kingfish, Uriah Heep US $1.75 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep-Still ´eavy Still Proud RARE Best of CD 1992 Two Decades of... US $9.99 [0 bids]
16h
Uriah Heep Lady in Black CD (1994, Made in Germany) RARE / OOP / MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Innocent Victim by Uriah Heep [Vinyl VG++ | Cover VG++] US $15.30 Buy It Now 16h 43m
The Magician's Birthday by Uriah Heep [Vinyl VG | Cover VG] US $9.00 Buy It Now 16h 43m
Ex! URIAH HEEP Live JAPAN 2LP w//OBI+INSERT+G/F PS WBS-40088~89 Toshiba-EMI US $59.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
Ex-! URIAH HEEP The Wizard /Gypsy JAPAN 7" SINGLE LL-2584-BZ Nippon Columbia US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 47m
URIAH HEEP Seven Stars /One Day JAPAN 7" SINGLE LL-2625-BZ Nippon Columbia US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 47m
Come Away Melinda, Uriah Heep, Good Single US $9.50 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Sonic Origami by Uriah Heep (CD, Jul-1999, Spitfire Records (USA)) US $9.05 Buy It Now 18h 5m
URIAH HEEP - SONIC ORIGAMI NEW CD US $19.45 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Uriah Heep *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 11 Songs ) US $6.85 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP ~ Look At - RARE Orig 1992 RUSSIA LP EX/M- US $24.98 Buy It Now 20h 25m
NN~URIAH HEEP~DEMONS & WIZARDS~MINT CD~US PRESSING US $15.00 Buy It Now 22h 33m
^ URIAH HEEP high and mighty JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $59.99 Buy It Now 23h 13m
Uriah Heep In Concert - Show Souvenir UK tour programme TOUR PROGRAMME 1973 US $217.25 Buy It Now 23h 28m
Live Uriah Heep 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) UK ISLD1 BRONZE 1973 US $58.13 Buy It Now 23h 29m
Uriah Heep vinyl LP album record The Magician's Birthday - 2nd - EX UK US $134.00 Buy It Now 23h 29m
URIAH HEEP Conquest JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +5 US $29.99 Buy It Now 23h 41m
URIAH HEEP Demons And Wizards JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +5 US $79.99 Buy It Now 23h 41m
URIAH HEEP Head First JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +5 US $24.99 Buy It Now 23h 41m
URIAH HEEP High And Mighty JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +8 US $39.99 Buy It Now 23h 42m
URIAH HEEP Live January 1973 JAPAN LTD MINI LP 2SHM-CD SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 23h 42m
Uriah Heep 7" 2 Disc Set Bronze Unusual Limited Edition VG- Order Gate Sleeve US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Uriah Heep - Box Set Live in Armenia Japan 2xCD 1XDVD SEALED!! US $20.35 [0 bids]
Rough Diamond -s/t LP TEST PRESSING ~w/Uriah Heep's David Byron, Clem Clempson US $34.95 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - Family Show (1975) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS Do You Kill Me/ PROMO + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - Kansas City (1974) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - New Orleans (1974) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS Do You Kill Me (1974) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS We Are Goin' Down Jordan/ JOHN LAWTON URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single THE LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - Carnival (1973) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS Take Care Of Me(1972) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS Old Man Moses (1971) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
7"-Single THE LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - Mexico (1972) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Uriah Heep The Magicians Birthday 1972 Vinyl lp SRM-1-652 Gatefold Made in USA US $16.96 [0 bids]
The Gods - To Samuel a Son CD (2002) Prog Rock (1969) (Uriah Heep) US $14.24 Buy It Now 1 day
1976 - URIAH HEEP - High & Mighty + UK Tour - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
LP GERMANY PRESS - URIAH HEEP (ABOMINOG) - 1982 - BRONZE 204 532 US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LP HOLLAND PRESS - URIAH HEEP (HIGH AND MIGHTY) - 1976 - BRONZE 27 438 XOT US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
URIAH HEEP - THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION [URIAH HEEP] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.37 Buy It Now 1 day
MARK CLARKE - MOVING TO THE MOON (New CD) Ex Colosseum Uriah Heep US $10.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Uriah Heep - Spellbinder Live Recording, CD 1996 NEW SEALED US $4.23 Buy It Now 1 day
URIAH HEEP HEAD FIRST RARE EX YUGOSLAVIA ORIGINAL 1ST PRESS 1983 EX-/EX US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
URIAH HEEP SOMETHING OF NOTHING RARE EX YUGOSLAVIA 1974..EX+/NM- US $23.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy URIAH HEEP music online Buy URIAH HEEP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for URIAH HEEP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim ratings distribution

URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars HUA HA HA HA . I laugh myself on this album. You know why? It's the cover man! The cover! What's wrong with it? Nothing wrong with it. Only something wrong with my mind, you know what? I was so scared of snake when I was a child. Even I'm still scared now, you know . Hua ha ha ha ..That's the reason why I never dare enough to purchase this CD. But, I knew my fave singer Lawton (previously with LUCIFER's FRIEND) took part in this album and .. I loved THE DANCE as it was once a hit in our country when this album was released. So, I borrowed this CD from a friend and asked him not to put the cover with the jewel. It also the case with YES "Relayer", I turned my CD cover upside down so that I would not see the snake at front cover. Funny hah? Yeap .

Musically, this is a good album but non-essential. I know that Lawton has a high quality voice that fits my taste. I always like the way he sings. Though, I will not bias my rating due to my personal like with his voice. I'd rather look at the music as a whole. "The Dance" is definitely my favourite and the reason why I enjoy this album. "Free and Easy" is a short song with powerful lead guitar by Mick Box, high tone voice of Lawton. It's a good track to rock and enjoy!

"Illusion" is my other favorite as well. It's a ballad with great keyboard sound and repeated melody (but it's nice, though ..). There is bonus track with "Illussion ? Masquarade" in it. It's nicer than the original version. "Free Me" is another easy listening rock with great and simple lyrics. It's a motivating tune, I guess. If you get mad with your boss, just yell this tune "Free Me!". Believe me, your boss will love you, definitely! Why? Cause you are rocking him!

Overall, only two tracks out of 11 that I do not enjoy. However, it's too naïve to conclude this album with 4 star. So, I give 3 ½ star for this. What do you think? - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31363) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Choices to be made

Once you get past the rather grotesque and somewhat inappropriate cover picture (the US version had a more appealing collage of the band members), Uriah Heep's second album with John Lawton on vocals is a pleasant, if rather lightweight offering.

The songs are pretty straightforward, leaning more towards melodic rock than prog. Once again, Hensley favours his synthesiser over the Hammond organ sound which laid the foundations of the band's early work, creating a more orchestral backing. There are a couple of good ballads in "Choices" which has great power, and the softer "Illusion. "Free me" is a catchy pop tune. It's not exactly challenging but should have been at least a minor hit in the UK, as it was in several other countries.

"The dance" is almost funky, a style which suits Lawton's voice far better than it would have Byron's. Finally, there are a number of more traditional rock tracks such as "Keep on ridin'", "Flyin' high" "Free'n'easy" and "Cheat'n'lie"

Ultimately I am left with a feeling that the band's inspiration, and especially Hensley's, is drying up rapidly. This is perhaps further evidenced by the fact that non band member Jack Williams wrote two of the songs, and co- wrote a third with Hensley.

The fade out at the end of "Illusion" was always intriguing, as the pace quickens, and the tune changes completely for a brief moment. This is explained on the 1997 remaster, which includes an eight minute two part track "Illusion/Masquerade". The two were apparently intended to form a single piece (in the way "Paradise" and "The spell" did on "Demons and Wizards"), but the latter was dropped from the album, appearing only as a single B side.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31364) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2004

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars Heh, I think this album has one of the most funniest vintage covers I have yet seen, a banal masterpiece by an artist called John Holmes (!). It makes a very strange first impression on this album too, if you look at it while listening to the happy, acoustic opening track "Keep on Riding". Some nice tunes of this album makes it as a potential purchase for fans of 1970's rock music, but would not recommend to don't spend your last money on it. "Free Me" is a true hit song with much potential, maybe Ken Hensley's biggest achievement on that standard. "Free 'n' Easy" is also a funny hard rock song with heavy riff and a really fast tempo. Some less decent fillers are also present on this album, but such may sadly appear on the albums by a band which does LP's on a one year intervals. "Illusion" is a fine dreamy slow number, and "Choices" is a great pathetic ballad. I haven't heard the bonus tracks from the CD reissues, but the extended medley and the un-released outtake could be fun to hear.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#31366) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 03, 2005

Review by b_olariu
4 stars First, i want to say this is not a bad album at all, second on of my fav from them. I think this one needs more attention from the prog lovers, after all Innocent victim is more hard/boogie than prog but the resoult is cool and good in the same time. The dance is excellent track and i always like the voice of John Lawton. Free me was in that time a great radio hit, even my parents remembered this one as an every day track in some radio satation from my city in the late '70. A well done album in my opinion, Uriah Heep fans are agree with me. Every track sound powerfull and played in Uriah heep standards. 4 stars

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#84302) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 20, 2006

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars One of my faves from UHs.Pretty weak tracks in the beginning (the first 3) - that's why only 4 stars instead of deserved 5.Highlights like "Illusion" and "Choices" are known by me since the very childhood - my father is a huge Heep fan, and I remember I was frightened with the cover of the disk when I found it in daddy's stuff...Still enjoyable and incomparable,Victim is the last highlight from Heeps and one of the must-haves from the 70s ending.Highly recommended!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#103155) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 15, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I must honestly say that since "The Magician's Birthday", the Heep did not produce anything really great in terms of studio album. This one will be no exception. The opener "Keep on Ridin'" is absolutely awful : a combination of gospel / soul with desperate rock flavour. Definitely not the type of song one is expecting form the Heep. "Flyin' High" is a boring pop / FM rock tune with no feeling nor sensibility. "Roller" is a good bluesy/rocky track : again, very close to the Purple production of the Mark III era. It is one of the best song of the album : violent as they could be, fantastic tempo, great keys.

Every time the Heep will try and replay "Easy Livin", it will be one of the best song of the album. "Free'n'Easy" won't be different. A phenomenal beat, with some crazy guitar and bass (of course, even if there is again a new bass p^layer). It is a true Heep song with all its grandeur. Wow !

Total contrast with "Illusion" : this one is a mellow FM rock ballad of limited interest. "Free Me" is another soul oriented song which sounds very poor and little Heep to my ears. I guess that we have to be happy with a track like "Cheat 'n' Lie" : good rock song with an OK chorus. We won't get much better here, I'm afraid. Well, actually the closing number is very good : "Choices" has great vocals, superb guitar from Box and good supporting keys. This makes a total of three good songs for the whole album.

An EP would have made it (would have then being rated as four stars). The only reason why I am still commenting this band (as I do with others) is that I believe it is also worthwhile to provide comments even if they are not too positive.

I have been a great Heep fan in the early seventies. This band has been extremely prolific since their start : eleven studio albums and three (recorded but not published) live ones in seven years ! But this will be at the cost of quality.

To be complete, I must admit that the longer version for "Illusion" including a section called "Masquerade" and available on the remastered version is not bad at all.

The year of release, 1977, is of course the year during which a lot of things will change. I guess there was little room for a band like Heep. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#115986) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Review by febus
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam
1 stars BAD THINGS HAPPENED TO GOOD BANDS!

One year after FIREFLY, URIAH HEEP came back with the same line-up,but the creative inspiration that helped make FIREFLY a rather interesting album has almost completely vanished by the time of this recording!

The first two tracks KEEP ON RIDIN and FLYIN HIGH SOUND absolutely horrible . URIAH HEEP is playing Detroit soul Motown with some gospel choir to make it sound more ''real''. The same people who came with LOOK AT YOURSELF a few years before!!!! Then, John LAWTON is trying some kind of JAMES BROWN cloning on ROLLER saved only by a more HEEP sounding in the middle of the song. What is happening to the band?? Trying hard to redefine themselves in this 1977 musical changing world, i guess!! FREE AND EASY is your classic HEEP unconsequential rocker, not bad, but that's not EASY LIVIN by any means.

After such a long suffering, things get a little bit better! ILLUSION at least stops the bleeding, that's a nice sweet ballad with some nice harmonies. It won't be featured on any UH best-of CD, but believe me , that's a relief after the abomination which precedes this song. Then comes the ''hit'': FREE ME; Very poppy song, ready to go on the top 40; music stripped down to the minimun, a melody sure to please TV shows producers, but not the old URIAH HEEP fan, the one that grew up with VERY HEAVY, VERY HUMBLE. Because there is absolutely nothing very heavy on this album; sounds like all the intruments have been almost euthanized. The horror continues with CHEAT N' LIE with the most cheesy chorus you can hear!! But what they were thinking???They completely forgot about their old fans and were trying to reach to the stars! They succeed as this album sold quite a lot and reach a new audience.

Finally, the band URIAH HEEP, shows up on the last 2 tracks of the album with THE DANCE and CHOICES, not great tunes but at least reminding me a little bit of FIREFLY. Just notice that these 2 tracks are composed by someone from outside the band, WILLIAMS who also co-signed the awful KEEP ON RIDIN , I mentioned at the beginning.I guess KEN HENSLEY creative inspiration was OFF at this time.

A very forgetable album, but there is one thing i like about it: the cover! can't go unnoticed!! I hesitate between 1 and 2 stars, but i shoul not!

1 STAR!

Send comments to febus (BETA) | Report this review (#131523) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 03, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Uriah Heep´s Innocent Victim came at a time when disco and punk were hot and classic rock was on the wane. Well, I loved this album when it came out. Unlike their previous efford, the weak and largely directionless Firefly, this one has its own personality and the songwriting is very strong here. There are plenty of good stuff and the band is much more tight. Ok, just don´t compare them to the UH of the Byron years. But for the time, it was great!

Highlights are the powerful Free ´n Easy (that reminds of early Iron Maiden), the beautiful Free Me, the sophisticated The Dance and Choices. The production is right for this material. This surely the best John Lawton era work by this band. It was a bold move for the time (sticking to their guns instead of jumping into the new fashion bandwagon like so many acts did under recording companies pressure). I´m glad it was a success. it still stands well today. 3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#165176) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 27, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars After the very good Firefly, Uriah Heep seems to have tried to become more commercial with this album. It didn't work very well, this is easily their least good album since the debut album. There are filler on all Uriah Heep albums, but on this one there seems to be (almost) nothing but filler! The hit (in Germany?) Free Me is a good song, but a rather straightforward rock/pop song, clearly aimed at the radio. Free 'n' Easy is the only harder rocking song on this album, but it isn't at all memorable.

The best songs here are Illusion and The Dance. Illusion was originally longer and coupled with another composition called Masquerade. The full unedited version of this song is featured on the CD version of Innocent Victim as a bonus track. Too bad that they decided to edit it for the original album, since it was the last remaining hint at the past progressiveness of Uriah Heep (not implying, of course, that the full Illusion/Masquerade is by any means a progressive piece in any substantial sense).

Innocent Victim is then one of Uriah Heep's least progressive and also least hard rocking albums.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177618) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by poslednijat_colobar
2 stars Oh... so interesting cover art for this album - Innocent Victim! Probably this one is head of dragon or something like that, but in any case it is not a suitable cover art for album like that. I'm not sure the dragons like this kind of music - almost clear rock & roll; when I see this kind of cover art I expect something harder, you know!!! But this cover art cheat 'n' lie like the homonymous song on the album. Innocent Victim proved to be the softest Uriah Heep's album up to that date and one of the softest albums in their entire career! Almost the entire album is clear rock & roll and I think the direction made by the band at that moment is little bit wrong. I can mention two songs with classic Heep sound - Illusion and Choices - the best songs on the album. The other songs are full of simple rock & roll chords and doesn't attract me very much. These two songs doesn't make the album good enough!!!

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#190522) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Once again, this band can perform quite well. They just seemed to pull lyrics out of a generic hard rock phrase generator. Keep On Ridin'? Flyin' High? Free 'N' Easy? Cheat 'N' Lie? Really? Did these guys get paid by the apostrophe?

Sure it's okay background music for your seventies themed party, and there are some noce guitar and keyboard licks, but the album just doesn't stand up to repeated listens. Whatever spark Ken Hensley and Mick Box had captured on their earlir albums seems to have gone out by this time. It sounds to me like rock by numbers.

Nice cover, though.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#556462) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 24, 2011

3 stars Uriah Heep i don't know why i choosed this album as my first Uriah Heep album reviewed here ... as i own all their 70s albums for years... ant that's not my favourite of course... Now the cover...It's one of the most ridiculous creepy hard rock badtasty cover released around that time (Novemb ... (read more)

Report this review (#889672) | Posted by SeventhBridgeofSighs | Monday, January 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Wow, Uriah Heep went from a hero, to a zero very quickly, it only took a few months. This is so much worse than Firefly, it's unbeilevable that a good band could make such a bad and boring album. The main problem is that this is way too poppy and the songs don't really have interest, though ... (read more)

Report this review (#257125) | Posted by Rushlover13 | Sunday, December 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If Firefly was Heep's new beginning, here they prove definitely what this Lawton/Hensley/Box/Bolder/Kerslake formation has come for. By no meanings a spent force, surviving to the most shocking line-up changes, here we find a band recycling their style. Moving into a more boogie sound, appro ... (read more)

Report this review (#98980) | Posted by Grimble Crumble | Wednesday, November 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars "Innocent Victim" is the second Uriah Heep album to feature John Lawtons's vocals. Earlier tha same year "Firefly" had been released and that albums saw Lawton's debut with Uriah Heep. "Firefly" however was a far better album than this follow up. Most of the songs are straightforward rock song ... (read more)

Report this review (#39344) | Posted by | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of URIAH HEEP "Innocent Victim"