INNOCENT VICTIM

2. Cheat 'N' Lie (4:50)
3. The Dance (4:49)
4. Choices (5:42)

BONUS TRACKS ON 1997 REMASTERED CD:
1. Illusion / Masquerade LLUSION / MASQUERADE (8:18) full unedited version, Masquerade was single b-side
2. The River (3:07) Out-take, released for the first time on 'A Time Of Revelation' (1996)

Search URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim lyrics

Search URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim tabs

- Mick Box / guitars
- John Lawton / vocals
- Ken Hensley / keyboard, guitars, vocals
- Lee Kerslake / drums, vocals
- Trevor Bolder / bass

1977 UK: Bronze BRON 504

URIAH HEEP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim Music

Demons & WizardsDemons & Wizards
Mercury 1990
OutsiderOutsider
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Magician's BirthdayMagician's Birthday
Mercury 1990
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Uriah Heep
Island Def Jam 2001
Cleopatra 2013
LiveLive
Mercury 1989
URIAH HEEP - HIGH AND MIGHTY LP US $9.04 Buy It Now 37m 48s
Uriah Heep~"Demons and Wizards"~lp vinyl record gtfd Mercury U.S. SRM-1-630 US $29.99 Buy It Now 42m 47s
Uriah Heep~"The Magician's Birthday"~lp vinyl record gtfd Mercury U.S. SRM-1-652 US $29.99 Buy It Now 43m 9s
Uriah Heep~"Uriah Heep Live"~dbl lp vinyl record Mercury Records SRM-2-7503 US $9.99 Buy It Now 43m 20s
URIAH HEEP 45 What Can I Do / Something Or Nothing 45 Warner Brothers WB 7836 US $5.79 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Vinyl LP - URIAH HEEP Demons And Wizards - 1972 SRM 1-630 Mercury US $0.99 [1 bids]
Vinyl LP - URIAH HEEP The Magician's Birthday - 1972 SRM 1-652 Mercury US $0.99 [1 bids]
URIAH HEEP Logo Original Vintage 70`s/80`s Printed Sew On Patch Unused #3 US $9.78 Buy It Now 2h 13m
URIAH HEEP~ WONDER WORLD ~CHRYSALIS CHR-1227~RARE LABEL US $39.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Look At Yourself 1971 MERCURY Classic Rock LP SIS US $5.99 [0 bids]
"Classic Rock" "Uriah Heep" "The Magician's Birthday" "Rare LP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep Live January 1973 Gatefold With Original Sleeves And Program US $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 31m
URIAH HEEP LIVE 2s LP FREE SHIP January 1973 SRM-2-7503 Mercury gatefold picture US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
URIAH HEEP HIGH AND MIGHTY (1976) BS 2949 ( NM-) US $12.60 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Very "Eavy Very 'Umble DEBUT SELF-TITLED USA - Uriah Heep LP GATEFOLD US $9.99 [1 bids]
Demons And Wizards - Uriah Heep LP GATEFOLD Roger dean art US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Magician's Birthday - Uriah Heep LP GATEFOLD Roger Dean art US $5.99 [1 bids]
Return To Fantasy - Uriah Heep LP GATEFOLD US $3.99 [0 bids]
High And Mighty - Uriah Heep LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
"THE BEST OF URIAH HEEP" 8 TRACK TAPE US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
URIAH HEEP" SWEET FREEDOM" "STEALIN'" 8 TRACK TAPE US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Live in the USA by Uriah Heep/new cd US $35.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Uriah Heep Live 1973 Totally awesome live Rock Very Nice 400 Fair priced LP's US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 22m
URIAH HEEP "ABOMINOG" PROMO LP VINYL SRM-1-4057 US $0.50 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-2 CLASSIC ROCK ITEMS-INNOCENT VICTIM UK LP & EASY LIVIN US 45 US $7.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP - The Collection - Cassette England 1989 press - Tape US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h
URIAH HEEP Salisbury, VINYL LP Mick Box Ken Hensley Paul Newton Autograph SIGNED US $149.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
GRAND PRIX "Samurai" Original LP 1983 (Chrysalis) MICHAEL SCHENKER, URIAH HEEP US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 26m
URIAH HEEP-OUTSIDER-JAPAN MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK F83 US $30.50 Buy It Now 7h 42m
URIAH HEEP 2 LADY IN BLACK/SIMON THE BULLIT GERMAN 7"PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP 3 LADY IN BLACK/SIMON THE BULLIT GERMAN 7"PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP FREE ME/MASQUERADE 1977 RARE EXYU 7"PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP FREE ME/MASQUERADE 1977 RARE GERMAN 7" PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP HEAD FIRST RARE YUGO PRESS LP MINT US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP LIVE RARE PRESS YUGOSLAV 2LP N/MINT US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP PRIMA DONNA/SHOUT IT OUT 1975 EXYU 7"PS US $20.49 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP RAGING EQUATOR 85' RARE EXYU PRESS MINT LP US $28.69 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP SOMETHING OF NOTHING 1974 RARE EXYU 7"PS US $28.69 Buy It Now 8h 29m
URIAH HEEP SWEET FREEDOM ULTRA RARE 1st PRESS YUGO LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
URIAH HEEP WONDERWORLD RARE YUGOSLAV PRESSING LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
URIAH HEEP: OFFICIAL BOOTLEG: LIVE AT SWEDEN FESTIVAL 2009 NEW CD 2010 US $13.63 Buy It Now 8h 30m
CD - URIAH HEEP - HIGH & MIGHTY US $9.05 Buy It Now 10h 5m
...Very 'eavy ...Very 'umble by Uriah Heep (CD, May-1999, Castle Music UK) US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
BORN TO BE WILD Vol.3 - Nazareth/Girlschool/Uriah Heep/Moody Marsden+ (16Trk CD) US $3.25 Buy It Now 10h 17m
Uriah Heep - Head First Bonus Tracks Eng Rmst CD US $16.42 Buy It Now 11h 17m
DAVID BYRON URIAH HEEP Hello Suzie Natural Born Boogie Wet Dream RARE Avenue EP US $24.49 [0 bids]
DAVID BYRON URIAH HEEP Soul Busters ELTON JOHN RARE UK Avenue Mini LP NUE 139 US $13.06 [0 bids]
PETER GOALBY "Aint It Funny" UK Promo 1975 Pre Uriah Heep/Trapeze US $6.51 Buy It Now 13h
URIAH HEEP anthology vol.II blood on stone 2 CD SS US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
The Best of Uriah Heep 1978 RCA Music Club Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, VG++ US $17.60 Buy It Now 13h 56m
URIAH HEEP The Collection CD BRAND NEW Compilation US $14.44 Buy It Now 14h
Uriah Heep LP Demons And Wizards 1972 Roger Dean Cover Art VG+/VG++ US $10.99 Buy It Now 14h 24m
Uriah Heep - Salisbury (NEW CD) US $10.19 Buy It Now 14h 38m
WEED URIAH HEEP KEN HENSLEY RARE CD GERMANY EXCELENT US $119.00 Buy It Now 15h 12m
URIAH HEEP head first Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $32.00 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Uriah Heep - Head First (1983) Japan Mini LP CD Sealed +5 bonus tracks US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Uriah Heep - Innocent Victim (1977) Japan Mini LP CD Sealed +6 bonus tracks US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
WRECKLESS ERIC-ORIGINAL 1 PAGE INTERVIEW N PIC-URIAH HEEP-STEELY DAN-24.2.1979 US $3.67 Buy It Now 15h 57m
URIAH HEEP / THE MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY LP Gatefold Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 7m
Uriah Heep Look At Yourself + Inner A-1U B-1U ?LISTEN? UK LP Bronze 1971 US $48.97 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Uriah Heep The Best Of *MINT* German LP Bronze 1975 NM US $16.31 Buy It Now 16h 21m
Uriah Heep Look at yourself lp US $9.78 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-INNOCENT VICTIM-GERMAN UNIQUE DIFF. COVER LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Uriah Heep, Look At Yourself On CD. VG Condition US $2.50 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep Lot Of 2 UK 7" Abominog Junior That`s The Way That It Is Tin Soldier US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Demons and Wizards, Uriah Heep, New US $23.34 Buy It Now 17h 40m
WONDERWORLD - URIAH HEEP (CASSETTE) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED, US $39.99 Buy It Now 17h 41m
URIAH HEEP Something Or Nothing 45rpm PROMO 7" NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 18h 19m
Uriah Heep - Spellbinder - Live (NEW CD) US $15.49 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Uriah Heep Live LP 1973 MERCURY SRM 2-7503 WITH 10 PAGE PROGRAM 1ST PRESS OOP US $8.00 Buy It Now 18h 50m
URIAH HEEP "Uriah Heep" Prog Rock Vinyl LP Mercury Records VG+ Debut, Gatefold US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 3m
URIAH HEEP LOVE STEALER / NO RETURN UK BRONZE 'A' LABEL PS 80s PROG/ROCK US $3.26 Buy It Now 19h 17m
URIAH HEEP- Rock Champions CD (2001 Dutch Digipak) The Best of/Greatest Hits US $12.39 Buy It Now 19h 19m
Uriah Heep Innocent Victim 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
Uriah Heep Look At Yourself US $7.99 [8 bids]
URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim LP Russian pressing RARE COVER DESIGN US $19.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP fallen angel LP VG CHR 1204 Vinyl 1978 Record US $10.00 Buy It Now 20h 25m
URIAH HEEP:LIVE,1973,BRONZE,W/BOOKLET,DBL LP US $1.62 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-"ON THE REBOUND" 1982 U.S. ISSUE PROMOTIONAL 12" SINGLE-NM VINYL US $7.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP~EASY LIVIN~NEAR MINT~MERCURY~73307~ALL MY LIFE~~ ROCK 45 US $16.99 Buy It Now 20h 32m
The Best Of Uriah Heep - Vinyl LP - Ken Hensley Manfred Mann US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Live In Armenia Uriah Heep 2 CD + DVD Set Sealed ! New ! 2011 US $13.44 Buy It Now 20h 41m
URIAH HEEP - Live In Wolverhampton 2011 (Live Recording) US $12.00 [6 bids]
Uriah Heep Abominog LP Vinyl Album US $8.00 Buy It Now 20h 47m
Gods - Samuel a Son UK Psych LP Ken Hesey Uriah Heep ? US $29.99 Buy It Now 21h
BLACKFOOT-STRIKES ORG USA /BLACK SABBATH/JUDAS PRIEST/SAXON/UFO/URIAH HEEP/AXE US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACKFOOT - SIOGO RARE ORG USA COPY/BLACK SABBATH/RAINBOW/NWOBHM/URIAH HEEP US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANGEL-S/T RARE 1975/PRIVATE HARD ROCK /KISS/JUDAS PRIEST/RAINBOW/URIAH HEEP/BOC US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANGEL-LIVE WITHOUT NET ORG /KISS/JUDAS PRIEST/GIUFFRIA/RAINBOW/URIAH HEEP/BOC US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANGEL-WHITE HOT VERY RARE /KISS/JUDAS PRIEST/GIUFFRIA/RAINBOW/URIAH HEEP/BOC US $9.99 [0 bids]
CD Double: Ken Hensley & Live Fire : Live : Europe 2012 SIGNED Uriah Heep US $44.63 Buy It Now 21h 24m
CD Double: Uriah Heep : Easy Livin' The Singles A's & B's US $20.14 Buy It Now 21h 24m
HARD ROCK/ Uriah Heep - Head First (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Uriah Heep "Uriah Heep Live" Double LP Mercury Records SRM-2-7503 US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 33m
Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards Pink Rim Island Pressing LP Record US $59.95 Buy It Now 21h 39m
LONE STAR "FIRING ON ALL SIX" LP WLP UFO URIAH HEEP RELATED US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 44m
Uriah Heep Look At Yourself Mercury SRM 1 614 Stereo Vinyl Record Album US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 9m
"The Best of Uriah Heep" LP Record Album US $9.50 Buy It Now 22h 10m
URIAH HEEP "Demons and Wizards" LP 2013 Wax Cathedral GREEN Color vinyl NEW US $36.00 Buy It Now 22h 15m
URIAH HEEP- MERCURY- 73349- SWEET LORRAINE- BLIND EYE - PROMO - VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy URIAH HEEP music online Buy URIAH HEEP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for URIAH HEEP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim ratings distribution

URIAH HEEP Innocent Victim reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars HUA HA HA HA . I laugh myself on this album. You know why? It's the cover man! The cover! What's wrong with it? Nothing wrong with it. Only something wrong with my mind, you know what? I was so scared of snake when I was a child. Even I'm still scared now, you know . Hua ha ha ha ..That's the reason why I never dare enough to purchase this CD. But, I knew my fave singer Lawton (previously with LUCIFER's FRIEND) took part in this album and .. I loved THE DANCE as it was once a hit in our country when this album was released. So, I borrowed this CD from a friend and asked him not to put the cover with the jewel. It also the case with YES "Relayer", I turned my CD cover upside down so that I would not see the snake at front cover. Funny hah? Yeap .

Musically, this is a good album but non-essential. I know that Lawton has a high quality voice that fits my taste. I always like the way he sings. Though, I will not bias my rating due to my personal like with his voice. I'd rather look at the music as a whole. "The Dance" is definitely my favourite and the reason why I enjoy this album. "Free and Easy" is a short song with powerful lead guitar by Mick Box, high tone voice of Lawton. It's a good track to rock and enjoy!

"Illusion" is my other favorite as well. It's a ballad with great keyboard sound and repeated melody (but it's nice, though ..). There is bonus track with "Illussion ? Masquarade" in it. It's nicer than the original version. "Free Me" is another easy listening rock with great and simple lyrics. It's a motivating tune, I guess. If you get mad with your boss, just yell this tune "Free Me!". Believe me, your boss will love you, definitely! Why? Cause you are rocking him!

Overall, only two tracks out of 11 that I do not enjoy. However, it's too naïve to conclude this album with 4 star. So, I give 3 ½ star for this. What do you think? - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31363) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Choices to be made

Once you get past the rather grotesque and somewhat inappropriate cover picture (the US version had a more appealing collage of the band members), Uriah Heep's second album with John Lawton on vocals is a pleasant, if rather lightweight offering.

The songs are pretty straightforward, leaning more towards melodic rock than prog. Once again, Hensley favours his synthesiser over the Hammond organ sound which laid the foundations of the band's early work, creating a more orchestral backing. There are a couple of good ballads in "Choices" which has great power, and the softer "Illusion. "Free me" is a catchy pop tune. It's not exactly challenging but should have been at least a minor hit in the UK, as it was in several other countries.

"The dance" is almost funky, a style which suits Lawton's voice far better than it would have Byron's. Finally, there are a number of more traditional rock tracks such as "Keep on ridin'", "Flyin' high" "Free'n'easy" and "Cheat'n'lie"

Ultimately I am left with a feeling that the band's inspiration, and especially Hensley's, is drying up rapidly. This is perhaps further evidenced by the fact that non band member Jack Williams wrote two of the songs, and co- wrote a third with Hensley.

The fade out at the end of "Illusion" was always intriguing, as the pace quickens, and the tune changes completely for a brief moment. This is explained on the 1997 remaster, which includes an eight minute two part track "Illusion/Masquerade". The two were apparently intended to form a single piece (in the way "Paradise" and "The spell" did on "Demons and Wizards"), but the latter was dropped from the album, appearing only as a single B side.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31364) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2004

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars Heh, I think this album has one of the most funniest vintage covers I have yet seen, a banal masterpiece by an artist called John Holmes (!). It makes a very strange first impression on this album too, if you look at it while listening to the happy, acoustic opening track "Keep on Riding". Some nice tunes of this album makes it as a potential purchase for fans of 1970's rock music, but would not recommend to don't spend your last money on it. "Free Me" is a true hit song with much potential, maybe Ken Hensley's biggest achievement on that standard. "Free 'n' Easy" is also a funny hard rock song with heavy riff and a really fast tempo. Some less decent fillers are also present on this album, but such may sadly appear on the albums by a band which does LP's on a one year intervals. "Illusion" is a fine dreamy slow number, and "Choices" is a great pathetic ballad. I haven't heard the bonus tracks from the CD reissues, but the extended medley and the un-released outtake could be fun to hear.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#31366) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 03, 2005

Review by b_olariu
4 stars First, i want to say this is not a bad album at all, second on of my fav from them. I think this one needs more attention from the prog lovers, after all Innocent victim is more hard/boogie than prog but the resoult is cool and good in the same time. The dance is excellent track and i always like the voice of John Lawton. Free me was in that time a great radio hit, even my parents remembered this one as an every day track in some radio satation from my city in the late '70. A well done album in my opinion, Uriah Heep fans are agree with me. Every track sound powerfull and played in Uriah heep standards. 4 stars

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#84302) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 20, 2006

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars One of my faves from UHs.Pretty weak tracks in the beginning (the first 3) - that's why only 4 stars instead of deserved 5.Highlights like "Illusion" and "Choices" are known by me since the very childhood - my father is a huge Heep fan, and I remember I was frightened with the cover of the disk when I found it in daddy's stuff...Still enjoyable and incomparable,Victim is the last highlight from Heeps and one of the must-haves from the 70s ending.Highly recommended!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#103155) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 15, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I must honestly say that since "The Magician's Birthday", the Heep did not produce anything really great in terms of studio album. This one will be no exception. The opener "Keep on Ridin'" is absolutely awful : a combination of gospel / soul with desperate rock flavour. Definitely not the type of song one is expecting form the Heep. "Flyin' High" is a boring pop / FM rock tune with no feeling nor sensibility. "Roller" is a good bluesy/rocky track : again, very close to the Purple production of the Mark III era. It is one of the best song of the album : violent as they could be, fantastic tempo, great keys.

Every time the Heep will try and replay "Easy Livin", it will be one of the best song of the album. "Free'n'Easy" won't be different. A phenomenal beat, with some crazy guitar and bass (of course, even if there is again a new bass p^layer). It is a true Heep song with all its grandeur. Wow !

Total contrast with "Illusion" : this one is a mellow FM rock ballad of limited interest. "Free Me" is another soul oriented song which sounds very poor and little Heep to my ears. I guess that we have to be happy with a track like "Cheat 'n' Lie" : good rock song with an OK chorus. We won't get much better here, I'm afraid. Well, actually the closing number is very good : "Choices" has great vocals, superb guitar from Box and good supporting keys. This makes a total of three good songs for the whole album.

An EP would have made it (would have then being rated as four stars). The only reason why I am still commenting this band (as I do with others) is that I believe it is also worthwhile to provide comments even if they are not too positive.

I have been a great Heep fan in the early seventies. This band has been extremely prolific since their start : eleven studio albums and three (recorded but not published) live ones in seven years ! But this will be at the cost of quality.

To be complete, I must admit that the longer version for "Illusion" including a section called "Masquerade" and available on the remastered version is not bad at all.

The year of release, 1977, is of course the year during which a lot of things will change. I guess there was little room for a band like Heep. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#115986) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Review by febus
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam
1 stars BAD THINGS HAPPENED TO GOOD BANDS!

One year after FIREFLY, URIAH HEEP came back with the same line-up,but the creative inspiration that helped make FIREFLY a rather interesting album has almost completely vanished by the time of this recording!

The first two tracks KEEP ON RIDIN and FLYIN HIGH SOUND absolutely horrible . URIAH HEEP is playing Detroit soul Motown with some gospel choir to make it sound more ''real''. The same people who came with LOOK AT YOURSELF a few years before!!!! Then, John LAWTON is trying some kind of JAMES BROWN cloning on ROLLER saved only by a more HEEP sounding in the middle of the song. What is happening to the band?? Trying hard to redefine themselves in this 1977 musical changing world, i guess!! FREE AND EASY is your classic HEEP unconsequential rocker, not bad, but that's not EASY LIVIN by any means.

After such a long suffering, things get a little bit better! ILLUSION at least stops the bleeding, that's a nice sweet ballad with some nice harmonies. It won't be featured on any UH best-of CD, but believe me , that's a relief after the abomination which precedes this song. Then comes the ''hit'': FREE ME; Very poppy song, ready to go on the top 40; music stripped down to the minimun, a melody sure to please TV shows producers, but not the old URIAH HEEP fan, the one that grew up with VERY HEAVY, VERY HUMBLE. Because there is absolutely nothing very heavy on this album; sounds like all the intruments have been almost euthanized. The horror continues with CHEAT N' LIE with the most cheesy chorus you can hear!! But what they were thinking???They completely forgot about their old fans and were trying to reach to the stars! They succeed as this album sold quite a lot and reach a new audience.

Finally, the band URIAH HEEP, shows up on the last 2 tracks of the album with THE DANCE and CHOICES, not great tunes but at least reminding me a little bit of FIREFLY. Just notice that these 2 tracks are composed by someone from outside the band, WILLIAMS who also co-signed the awful KEEP ON RIDIN , I mentioned at the beginning.I guess KEN HENSLEY creative inspiration was OFF at this time.

A very forgetable album, but there is one thing i like about it: the cover! can't go unnoticed!! I hesitate between 1 and 2 stars, but i shoul not!

1 STAR!

Send comments to febus (BETA) | Report this review (#131523) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 03, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Uriah Heep´s Innocent Victim came at a time when disco and punk were hot and classic rock was on the wane. Well, I loved this album when it came out. Unlike their previous efford, the weak and largely directionless Firefly, this one has its own personality and the songwriting is very strong here. There are plenty of good stuff and the band is much more tight. Ok, just don´t compare them to the UH of the Byron years. But for the time, it was great!

Highlights are the powerful Free ´n Easy (that reminds of early Iron Maiden), the beautiful Free Me, the sophisticated The Dance and Choices. The production is right for this material. This surely the best John Lawton era work by this band. It was a bold move for the time (sticking to their guns instead of jumping into the new fashion bandwagon like so many acts did under recording companies pressure). I´m glad it was a success. it still stands well today. 3,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#165176) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 27, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars After the very good Firefly, Uriah Heep seems to have tried to become more commercial with this album. It didn't work very well, this is easily their least good album since the debut album. There are filler on all Uriah Heep albums, but on this one there seems to be (almost) nothing but filler! The hit (in Germany?) Free Me is a good song, but a rather straightforward rock/pop song, clearly aimed at the radio. Free 'n' Easy is the only harder rocking song on this album, but it isn't at all memorable.

The best songs here are Illusion and The Dance. Illusion was originally longer and coupled with another composition called Masquerade. The full unedited version of this song is featured on the CD version of Innocent Victim as a bonus track. Too bad that they decided to edit it for the original album, since it was the last remaining hint at the past progressiveness of Uriah Heep (not implying, of course, that the full Illusion/Masquerade is by any means a progressive piece in any substantial sense).

Innocent Victim is then one of Uriah Heep's least progressive and also least hard rocking albums.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177618) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by poslednijat_colobar
2 stars Oh... so interesting cover art for this album - Innocent Victim! Probably this one is head of dragon or something like that, but in any case it is not a suitable cover art for album like that. I'm not sure the dragons like this kind of music - almost clear rock & roll; when I see this kind of cover art I expect something harder, you know!!! But this cover art cheat 'n' lie like the homonymous song on the album. Innocent Victim proved to be the softest Uriah Heep's album up to that date and one of the softest albums in their entire career! Almost the entire album is clear rock & roll and I think the direction made by the band at that moment is little bit wrong. I can mention two songs with classic Heep sound - Illusion and Choices - the best songs on the album. The other songs are full of simple rock & roll chords and doesn't attract me very much. These two songs doesn't make the album good enough!!!

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#190522) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars Once again, this band can perform quite well. They just seemed to pull lyrics out of a generic hard rock phrase generator. Keep On Ridin'? Flyin' High? Free 'N' Easy? Cheat 'N' Lie? Really? Did these guys get paid by the apostrophe?

Sure it's okay background music for your seventies themed party, and there are some noce guitar and keyboard licks, but the album just doesn't stand up to repeated listens. Whatever spark Ken Hensley and Mick Box had captured on their earlir albums seems to have gone out by this time. It sounds to me like rock by numbers.

Nice cover, though.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#556462) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 24, 2011

3 stars Uriah Heep i don't know why i choosed this album as my first Uriah Heep album reviewed here ... as i own all their 70s albums for years... ant that's not my favourite of course... Now the cover...It's one of the most ridiculous creepy hard rock badtasty cover released around that time (Novemb ... (read more)

Report this review (#889672) | Posted by SeventhBridgeofSighs | Monday, January 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Wow, Uriah Heep went from a hero, to a zero very quickly, it only took a few months. This is so much worse than Firefly, it's unbeilevable that a good band could make such a bad and boring album. The main problem is that this is way too poppy and the songs don't really have interest, though ... (read more)

Report this review (#257125) | Posted by Rushlover13 | Sunday, December 20, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If Firefly was Heep's new beginning, here they prove definitely what this Lawton/Hensley/Box/Bolder/Kerslake formation has come for. By no meanings a spent force, surviving to the most shocking line-up changes, here we find a band recycling their style. Moving into a more boogie sound, appro ... (read more)

Report this review (#98980) | Posted by Grimble Crumble | Wednesday, November 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars "Innocent Victim" is the second Uriah Heep album to feature John Lawtons's vocals. Earlier tha same year "Firefly" had been released and that albums saw Lawton's debut with Uriah Heep. "Firefly" however was a far better album than this follow up. Most of the songs are straightforward rock song ... (read more)

Report this review (#39344) | Posted by | Wednesday, July 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of URIAH HEEP "Innocent Victim"