TURN OF THE TIDES

Tangerine Dream Turn Of The Tides album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TANGERINE DREAM Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Pictures at an Exhibition * (3:01)
2. Firetongues (6:32)
3. Galley Slave's Horizon (7:47)
4. Death of a Nightingale (5:30)
5. Twilight Brigade (9:45)
6. Jungle Journey (6:34)
7. Midwinter Night (4:38)
8. Turn of the Tides (7:40)

* Composed by Modest Mussorgsky, Orchestration by M. Ravel

- Linda Spa / Alto saxophone, Tenor saxophone, Soprano saxophone
- Jamie Klimek / backing vocals
- Julie Ocean / backing vocals
- Roland Braunstein / trumpet

CD Virgin 839454 2 (Holland) / CD Miramar MPC 2806 (USA)

TANGERINE DREAM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TANGERINE DREAM Turn Of The Tides Music

Virgin Years: 1974-1978Virgin Years: 1974-1978
EMI Import 2011
Dream Sequence: Best ofDream Sequence: Best of
EMI Import 2002
Music Cd Le Parc Tangerine Dream Relativity Records 1985 Used US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 37s
Tangerine Dream Thief Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD 2004 James Caan US $27.99 [0 bids]
TANGERINE DREAM: Exit LPELKETRA 5E557 US 1981 WHITE PROMO WLP NM US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
TANGERINE DREAM: Exit LP VIRGIN RECORDS V2212 US 1981 NM  US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
MISS LI - TANGERINE DREAM - 2012 CD [7330014212735] US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Tribute to Tangerine Dream, Various Artists, Good US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
TANGERINE DREAM PHAEDRA PROMO PRESSING US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
THIEF SOUNDTRACK - TANGERINE DREAM - LP RECORD US $4.25 [0 bids]
Virgin Collections 1973-1987 4-CD's Japan, Tangerine Dream, Sex Pistols, UB40 US $69.99 [0 bids]
TANGERINE DREAM Cyclone lp Vinyl Album US Virgin - Clean Near Mint NM Condition! US $5.99 [2 bids]
TANGERINE DREAM EXIT LP WLP PROMO KRAUTROCK PROG US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
TANGERINE DREAM - WHITE EAGLE ~ D/Rem CD Album *NEW* US $20.28 Buy It Now 4h 17m
NEW - Tyranny of Beauty by Tangerine Dream US $15.80 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Record LP Grade M- Excellent US $13.00 Buy It Now 5h 26m
TANGERINE DREAM PHAEDRA PAPER LABELS CASSETTE US $6.76 Buy It Now 5h 38m
TANGERINE DREAM - ROCKOON - CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Tangerine Dream vinyl LP record Logos - Live At The Dominion - London '82 NZ US $57.39 Buy It Now 7h 22m
TANGERINE DREAM Ricochet ORIG Twin-Heads GERMAN 1975 N/M Live LP KRAUTROCK US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
TANGERINE DREAM Rubycon VIRGIN UK LP NM KRAUTROCK US $59.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
TANGERINE DREAM Rubycon (1975) JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Slip Single: Tangerine Dream A Cage In Search Of A Bird US $13.51 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Magic Of Tangerine Dream-The Anthology CD US $23.42 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Tangerine Dream - Zeitgeist Concert-Live At The Royal Al [CD New] US $29.96 Buy It Now 8h 49m
TANGERINE DREAM - PURGATORIO - GERMAN 2 X CD SET-18 TRKS - ELECTRONICA - AMBIENT US $13.98 Buy It Now 9h 4m
TANGERINE DREAM-ZEIT (LTD) (BOX) (SPKG) CDBL NEW US $121.56 Buy It Now 9h 17m
TANGERINE DREAM SORCERER SOUNDTRACK RECORD LP 12" UK US $32.63 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Hawkwind Self-Titled Debut LP OG US United Artists 1971 Psych Tangerine Dream US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Kraut Rock Synth LP TANGERINE DREAM 'STRATOSFEAR" on VIRGIN RECORDS (1976) US $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 5m
TANGERINE DREAM - TOURNADO : LIVE (NEW) Rare 1997 Release US $8.43 Buy It Now 11h 50m
Tangerine Dream Tournado Live CD NEW 1997 Prog. US $8.43 Buy It Now 12h 19m
TANGERINE DREAM - RICOCHET LP US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 25m
TANGERINE DREAM - TANGRAM LP US $6.74 Buy It Now 12h 27m
Tangerine Dream - Hollywood Years, Vol. 1 US $5.48 Buy It Now 12h 31m
TANGERINE DREAM Tangines Scales CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Stratosfear 2012 UK 180g vinyl LP SEALED / NEW US $33.79 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Timesquare Dream Mixes Two CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Tangram 2008 CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Valentine Wheels CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Optical Race CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Tournado Live CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Turn Of The Tides CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM Madcap's Flaming Duty CD SEALED/NEW US $10.12 Buy It Now 12h 58m
TANGERINE DREAM STRATOSFEAR JAPAN US $49.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
TANGERINE DREAM 'RICOCHET' UK LP US $13.51 Buy It Now 13h 22m
TANGERINE DREAM 'STRATOSFEAR' UK LP US $15.20 Buy It Now 13h 22m
TANGERINE DREAM - BOOTLEG BOXSET VOL. 1 - EREACD71031 US $52.40 Buy It Now 13h 34m
TANGERINE DREAM - OPTICAL RACE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $64.35 Buy It Now 13h 53m
TANGERINE DREAM cyclone LP 3 track green label design gatefold sleeve matrix a1/ US $36.22 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Klaus Schulze -Timewind Great Britain 1st Press CA 2006 -Tangerine Dream US $55.00 Buy It Now 14h 34m
Rock TANGERINE DREAM Stratofear NM PZ-34427 ORIG EB704 US $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Tangerine Dream - The Pink Years: Best of Tangerine Dream CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 14h 48m
TANGERINE DREAM Phaedra LP cover framed for wall mounting black or silver US $23.65 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Peru Forlian Tangerine Dream Moog Klaus Schulze Berlin School Synth Music ASHRA US $44.99 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Peru Continents Tangerine Dream Moog Klaus Schulze Berlin School Synth Music US $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 17m
THREE O'CLOCK HIGH SOUNDTRACK LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1ST PRESS 1987 TANGERINE DREAM US $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 23m
Alpha Wave Movement 4cd Set New Space Synth Music Tangerine Dream Jarre Ashra US $27.99 Buy It Now 15h 33m
Tangerine Dream Warsaw In The Sun 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 41m
Tangerine Dream-Cyclone German prog cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Tangerine Dream - Private Music of (1993) {CD} D1013 US $8.43 Buy It Now 15h 55m
Tangerine Dream - Tangram - RARE Israel Israeli Made LP 70's Electro Prog US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h
Tangerine Dream Quinoa 1999TDI Germany ambient synthesizer PPG Froese prog VG++ US $8.00 [0 bids]
EX/EX- !! Tangerine Dream/Streethawk/1985 Jive 12" Single US $55.78 Buy It Now 16h 40m
TANGERINE DREAM - STRATOSFEAR [TANGERINE DREAM] [077778609223] - NEW CD US $5.71 Buy It Now 16h 50m
Rock Around Berlin Lou Reed Alphaville Tangerine Dream Japan Nina Hagen RARE NEW US $7.00 [0 bids]
Slip Album: Tangerine Dream : The Soft Dream Decade US $15.20 Buy It Now 17h 23m
Slip Album: Tangerine Dream : Optical Race US $15.20 Buy It Now 17h 23m
TANGERINE DREAM-CHANDRA - THE PHANTOM FERRY - PART II CD NEW US $31.04 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Tangerine Dream ?Sorcerer Soundtrack LP 1977 Germany MCA 62.085 Import Vinyl US $9.95 [1 bids]
Tangerine Dream - Rockoon (CD 1992) FASTPOST US $8.10 Buy It Now 17h 46m
TANGERINE DREAM THE SORCERER / WAGES OF FEAR 1977 USA SOUNDTRACK VINYL LP*EX/NM US $13.44 Buy It Now 18h 3m
RARE NEW Sealed KLAUS SCHULZE X RARE 2CD TANGERINE DREAM US $24.99 [0 bids]
WAVELENGTH (1983 science fiction film) score by Tangerine Dream US $25.00 [0 bids]
OMNI 2-CD Lot Metropolis + Starscape Tangerine Dream Patrick O'Hearn YMO Cusco US $13.00 [0 bids]
RISKY BUSINESS (Muddy Waters & Bob Seger & Tangerine Dream ) Soundtrack LP US $11.95 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Vintage CD The Private Music Of Tangerine Dream US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 14m
Vintage CD Tangerine Dream Phaedra US $11.99 Buy It Now 19h 15m
TANGERINE DREAM GR-LP Stratosfear KRAUT COSMIC ELECTRO KLAUS SCHULTZE/KRAFTWERK US $49.99 [0 bids]
TANGERINE DREAM: Rubycon / Gatefold cover -LP VINYL RECORD US $13.99 Buy It Now 20h 10m
Vintage CD Tangerine Dream Miracle Mile US $10.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Vintage CD Tangerine Dream Lily On The Beach US $7.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
CD Double: Tangerine Dream : Purgatorio La Divina Commedia Part 2 : 2CDs Sealed US $26.69 Buy It Now 20h 31m
Tangerine Dream Livemiles 2 Concert Austrian CD Albuquerque / West Berlin US $6.99 [0 bids]
Force Majeure by Tangerine Dream CD Virgin Records US $3.00 [0 bids]
Peter Baumann ?Repeat Repeat 7 1981 Portugal Release Tangerine Dream US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Best of Tangerine Dream Music CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tangerine Dream Encore (Live) CD US $11.82 Buy It Now 21h 18m
TANGERINE DREAM Ricochet 1st U.K. pressing 1975 "Live" LP. Vinyl = A1! US $10.99 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Tangerine Dream-Alpha Centauri/Atem-Virgin 2504-2LP SET ENGLAND US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Klaus Schulze:Picture Music Japan CD Mini-LP ARC-7267 Mint (tangerine dream Q US $61.75 Buy It Now 22h 16m
Tangerine Dream:Atem 2 SHM CD Japan Mini-LP Mint Belle121945-6 (edgar froese Q US $71.25 Buy It Now 22h 16m
Tangerine Dream:Zeit 2 SHM CD Japan Mini-LP Mint Belle121943-4 (edgar froese Q US $71.25 Buy It Now 22h 16m
Tangerine Dream RECORD "Cyclone" 1978 Virgin USA PRESSING VI 2097 VINYL LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 23h 3m
TANGERINE DREAM**KNIGHTS OF ASHEVILLE: 2011**2 CD SET US $14.50 Buy It Now 23h 4m
Dream Sequence: The Best of Tangerine Dream US $20.27 Buy It Now 23h 5m
T Shirt Tangerine Dream : I Am An Alien ~ I Love TD Black Size L US $35.48 Buy It Now 23h 10m
T Shirt Tangerine Dream : I Am An Alien ~ I Love TD Black Size M US $35.48 Buy It Now 23h 10m
T Shirt Tangerine Dream : Rocking Out The Bats Concert 2009 Black Size XL US $38.01 Buy It Now 23h 10m
T Shirt Tangerine Dream : I Am An Alien ~ I Love TD Black Size XL US $35.48 Buy It Now 23h 10m
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear LP Krautrock synth s US $12.99 Buy It Now 23h 23m
TANGERINE DREAM Exit (1981) 1984 UK CD issue no barcode Nimbus England US $24.00 Buy It Now 23h 37m

More places to buy TANGERINE DREAM music online Buy TANGERINE DREAM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TANGERINE DREAM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TANGERINE DREAM Turn Of The Tides ratings distribution

TANGERINE DREAM Turn Of The Tides reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars I probably fell into the same trap as a lot of other long-term Tangerine Dream fans after first hearing this 1994 effort, comparing it (unfavorably, of course) to such unqualified TD classics like "Phaedra", "Ricochet", and "Stratosfear". Maybe it was the anonymous sheen of all those new digital keyboards, or else the steady diet of generic dance-floor drum programs. But at first exposure the album sounded little better than boilerplate New Age movie soundtrack mush.

All right, so their musical strategy is more conventional than it was in the old days. But the band in the 1990s needs to be measured with a different yardstick. This is not your parent's Tangerine Dream anymore, and neither does it pretend to be. On its own merits the music itself is often gorgeous beyond description, sounding on some tracks ("Galley Slave's Horizon") not unlike the classic symphonic Prog of Andy Latimer and CAMEL: quite a radical departure from the counter-culture doodles of their early Krautrock days.

There's even (further shades of Golden Age Prog Rock) a concept of sorts behind it all. The album was composed around an obscure, allegorical narrative penned by the prime T. Dreamer Edgar Froese himself, apparently after one too many screening of a Wojciech Has movie (remember "The Saragossa Manuscript"?) The mood is set, oddly but effectively, by the "Promenade" from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition": an unconscious nod, perhaps, to fellow synthesizer advocate Keith Emerson? This brief but luxurious version was arranged by TD debutante Linda Spa, with the sounds of a horse-drawn carriage on rain-swept cobblestones adding to the overall cinematic effect.

Spa's recruitment into the band still tends to confound the more chauvinistic corners of the Tangerine Dream fan base. But to these ears her graceful handling of the saxophone adds a welcome soft touch to a band historically obsessed with the latest electronic hardware. Likewise, a notable performance by guitarist Zlatko Perica brings the typically cosmic TD sound even closer to Earth, trading his sometimes overwrought pyrotechnics (see "220 Volt Live") for a more polished approach, often with an unexpected Spanish flair (as on the track "Firetongues").

Approach it with skepticism if you must, but don't dismiss the album without an impartial hearing. Too much good music can be irretrievably lost when doggedly kept at arm's length.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#80563) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is another winner in the very extensive TD discography. It is amazing to notice how effectively the band was releasing good albums one after another (even if some scarce flows can be noticed once in a while).

I was of course curious to listen to their version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" that I discovered in the early seventies with ELP (I don't know the original version, shame on me). I have to say that they pass the test quite well to be honest.

There are no masterpiece tracks featured here (at least I feel so), but some engaging music that combines both electronic with Middle-Eastern influences ("Firetongues").

Of course, as "Neu!mann" says in his reviews, this work can't be compared to the several masterpieces that the band delivered, but it remains of pretty decent quality. The addition of several members do provide a variety that was not too often met in their previous releases, the best of which is held by the superb sax play from Linda Spa during the excellent "Midwinter Night" for instance. Same nice feel can be experienced in the smooth and atmospheric" Galley Slave's Horizon". The one of that kind too much probably being "Death Of A Nightingale".

Another good and quite diversified track is the long "Twilight Brigade". The closing section is just brilliant: it consists of a superb guitar solo which is maybe one of the best that can be heard on a TD album. Really impressive. The upbeat (and somewhat "tribal") "Jungle Journey" is also a fine moment which contrasts with the usual atmospheric TD mood.

One blunder though here: the closing and title track which is too much "dance" oriented to my ears. The band released some of these previously (but hopefully not too much). And even if it is one of the longest track available on this "Turn On The Tides", one out of eight is not a drama, right?

Three stars for this good album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#228405) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 26, 2009

Review by Chicapah
3 stars The outfit known as Tangerine Dream is without a doubt the longest-lived prog band in existence that I have unwittingly and without good reason avoided giving a fair listen. As a musical entity, they've been around since 1967 and, like the Energizer bunny, are still going so it's with a smidgen of embarrassment that I meekly own up to my stark ignorance of their art. A lot of that stems from their genre, progressive electronic. That's never been a magnet for my ears because I prefer vocals and lyrics in my prog rock diet but it's not like I have something against instrumentals in general. On the contrary, I've always been a huge fan of classical symphonies in addition to considering myself a jazz rock fusion buff so it may just be a matter of not being exposed to that much of it more than anything else. I do recall seeing their intriguing album covers sticking out in the record bins back in the 70s and being curious about what it was this odd bunch did, exactly, but I was never enticed enough to shell out my sparse lettuce for one of their LPs. Plus, none of my musician cronies ever said boo about them so they were far from being the talk of the town, so to speak. By doing a little web research recently I quickly learned that one multitalented guy named Edgar Froese is the sole survivor of all the incarnations of the group and, therefore, is the main mastermind that the band revolves around to this day. And, in case you're like me and didn't know squat about them, this is a Germanic combo. In fact, the roster of members and guest artists that have been associated with Tangerine Dream over the decades reads like a list of participants in an accordion-playing contest held at a Midwestern town's Oktoberfest. Just sayin'. Lotta folks coming and going through the studio door, for sure. Anyway, I read that the group was a lot more experimental in the 70s and 80s, did a lot of movie soundtracks for flicks like 'Risky Business' and 'Firestarter' along the way and swerved over into the realm of electronica in the 90s. (I'm still not sure what the 'electronica' connotation means, precisely, but I'm okay with that.) Honestly, I was just hoping to hear some cool stuff.

When I finally decided to sample their wares I was bedazzled by their enormous body of work so I took the old dartboard approach and picked an album at random. 1994's 'Turn of the Tides' got the luck of the draw. The first thing I heard was a peal of thunder, some rain and horse hooves clopping down a cobbled street, all of which were accompanying the familiar theme of Mussorgsky's 'Picture at an Exhibition.' I wasn't sure what to make of that scenario but the music turned out to be a rather straightforward, synthesized rendition of that composer's famously regal score. Not a bad way to start, I figured. 'Firetongues' is next and it opens with an ominous drone before entering into an Alan Parsons Project-styled motif propelled by Edgar's strong, active drum track. A flourish of Flamenco acoustic guitar provides an exciting edge and a true focal point. I really like the overall ambience of their sound, as well. The number was written by Froese's son, Jerome, who had joined the cast in 1990 so it seems that the tangerine didn't fall far from the tree if you catch my drift. Junior also composed the next cut, 'Galley Slave's Horizon,' a song wherein the plodding pace doesn't drag the momentum down too much and the heavily stacked electric guitars fill up the spaces nicely. About halfway through it drops down to a piano-led atmospheric passage that contains a cavernous depth of field (something I always dig). After that the drums reenter to establish a moving rhythm reminiscent of what Sade does so effortlessly. My only complaint is that the adventurous guitar work is buried too far down in the mix to be effective.

Edgar's 'Death of a Nightingale' sports a beautiful modern Asian texture that sets a serene, meditative tone from the start. Linda Spa's soprano sax is a perfect fit and the tune eases along like a peaceful stream. This piece deserves repeated listens. Jerome's 'Twilight Brigade' follows and the light, funky drums strutting under its lush soundscape help to distinguish it from the other cuts but it runs into trouble at the midway point when some ill-advised guitar licks spoil the scenery. Since Edgar, Jerome and some dude named Zlatco Perica are all listed as guitarists it's difficult to finger the perpetrator but it almost sounds like they accidentally left a scratch guitar track in because there are several bad notes that are unnecessarily foisted upon the listener without cause. Other than that rude gaffe I found myself waiting for something to surprise me in the arrangement but it never happened. Jerome's 'Jungle Journey' is next and, while it wasn't what I anticipated due to its title, it's not a big letdown per se. It possesses more of a techno dance groove than the African aura one would expect and, while interesting at times, it's not particularly engaging, either. Edgar's 'Midwinter Night' is decent. It's a simple but warm ballad supplemented by Spa's tender saxophone ride and, all in all, it's not intended to be a jab when I tell you it's unobtrusive music to read a book by. 'Turn of the Tides' brings up the rear. A mysterious intro leads to a Latin disco throb that persists throughout most of the song. Brassy synthesizers hog the spotlight for a while and then the number evolves to project a more ethereal mode toward the end where choir-like voices waft about.

As I indicated earlier in this review, I'm a novice when it comes to this brand of instrumental prog. I really like what Camel did on their 'Snow Goose' album and, at times, this sorta reminds me of the amiable spirit that inhabits that excellent record. I recently discovered the minimalist genius contained in some of Brian Eno's work so I'm slowly but surely widening my horizons by venturing farther into this wing of the prog museum. I guess Vangelis and Kraftwerk are bound to be sitting somewhere on my need-to-hear list, too. While this record didn't exactly wow me I did find it enticing enough to want to hear more from them. While admittedly not all that invigorating or energizing, I can still appreciate their acumen and the professional level of musicianship involved so I'm somewhat satisfied with the final product. 2.8 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1059358) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 13, 2013

1 stars This is one of the weakest albums of Tangerine Dream's history, a brand name which just ten years before released the magnificent live album Poland (1984). OK, back then we had a very different group, formed by Edgar Froese, Chris Franke and Johannes Schmoelling. Franke left in 1988, replaced ... (read more)

Report this review (#46848) | Posted by jobim | Friday, September 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars "Turn Of The Tides" could have been one of the greatest TD albums ever. It's a concept album (auspicious start right there!) and it's a grand,lavishly produced affair with Edgar and Jerome being augmented by guestmusicians on guitar,sax and vocals laying the basis for a quite splendid album. W ... (read more)

Report this review (#32574) | Posted by Pixel Pirate | Monday, February 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TANGERINE DREAM "Turn Of The Tides"