RISE AND FALL

Buy JOHN HOLDEN Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Leap of Faith (10:10)
2. Rise and Fall (6:23)
3. The Golden Thread (4:56)
4. Dark Arts (7:06)
5. Heretic (9:20)
6. After the Storm (6:09)
7. Ancestors and Satellites (8:57)

- John Holden / guitar, bass, keyboards, drum programming

With:
- Sally Minnear / vocals (5-7)
- Lauren Nolan / vocals (3,7)
- Jean Pageau (Mystery) / vocals (2,7)
- That Joe Payne (The Enid) / vocals (3,4,5,7)
- Peter Jones (Tiger Moth Tales, Red Bazar, Camel) / vocals, recorder, whistle (1,7)
- Oliver Day / guitars, lap steel (2,4-6)
- Zaid Crowe / guitar solo (4)
- Michel St-Pere (Mystery) / guitar solo (7)
- Vikram Shankar / piano & keyboards (1-3,5-7)
- Oliver Wakeman / piano & keyboards (3,4)
- Jon Camp / bass (2)
- Billy Sherwood (Yes, Circa, Conspiracy) / bass (4)
- Simon Fitzpatrick / bass (5,7)
- Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Kevin Gilbert, Big Big Train) / drums (2,4-7)
- Emily Dolan Davies / percussion (2)

Format: CD, Digital
February 29, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy JOHN HOLDEN Rise and Fall Music

More places to buy JOHN HOLDEN music online

JOHN HOLDEN Rise and Fall ratings distribution

JOHN HOLDEN Rise and Fall reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars I was really not ready to listen to any new music this year until I was given notice from Bandcamp that John Holden had released a new album. Some of you may remember John's 2018 debut, Capture Light, the one that stirred none other than Maestro Steve Hackett to endorse and proclaim it's success, and an album that earned a B+/4.5 star rating from me. Well, John is back and much of the same amazing guest list from Capture Light is back contributing to eight brand new, amazingly sophisticated, mature, and polished religiously- or classically-tinged songs. Back are brilliant guitarist Oliver Day, singers "That" Joe Payne (THE ENID, METHEXIS, ZIO), Peter Jones (TIGER MOTH TALES, CORVUS STONE), Sally Minnear (daughter of Kerry, has performed with DAVE BAINBRIDGE), and Jean Pageau (MYSTERY), as well as Nick D'Virgilio (TEARS FOR FEARS, GIRAFFE, THUD, SPOCK'S BEARD, MIKE KENNEALY, COSMOGRAF, DAVE KERZNER, BIG BIG TRAIN, THE FRINGE), Oliver Wakeman (yes, THAT Wakeman; YES, STRAWBS) and Vikram Shankar (GRIOT, GRAVITY, LUX TERMINUS, THREADS OF FATE, SILENT SKIES, OUR DESTINY, and single song contributions of Billy Sherwood, Jon Camp (RENAISSANCE), Michel St.-Pere (MYSTERY), and Zald Crowe.

I don't know how John has attracted such a stellar cast of collaborators, but I'm so glad he has: his compositions, so steeped in religious and theatric traditions, are rendered here, as on Capture Light, beautifully, with absolute top quality skill and the highest quality of engineering and production. I usually don't begin writing reviews this early in the year, but this album was an auto-buy for me and has been on regular rotation since it came out a month ago? and I can't get enough of it. Five star songs: 1. "Leap of Faith" (10:11); 4. "Dark Arts" (7:06); 5. "Heretic" (9:18), and; 6. "After the Storm" (6:08).

Four star songs: 2. "Rise and Fall" (6:22), 3. "The Golden Thread" (4:53), and; 7. "Ancestors and Satellites" (8:56).

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Reviewer
5 stars Although the name John Holden may be new to many of you, I know the stellar guestlist involved in this album will be extremely familiar. More of them later, but hopefully that namecheck will intrigue you enough to search out what is an incredibly powerful album in so many ways. The other thing people need to do is go to John's website where there are full details of what every song means, how it came about etc. I am not going to try and condense that all within the review, as it is much better for everyone to go and read it themselves as it is the perfect accompaniment to what is an incredible piece of work. John provides guitar, bass, keyboards and drum programming and writes the music while his wife Libby provides the lyrics, and then together with the guests bringing in their expertise and experience these wonderful songs are then lifted to a whole new level. If I were pushed to describe the sound, I would suggest crossover progressive rock that somehow also has a hymn-like quality, and in many ways is quite bombastic while also being incredibly restrained. At all times it is the voices which are front and centre, and the use of different singers seems right in the context of an album which never sounds like a project but always like a solid performance from an incredible band. Every musician is there to do a particular job, and they all relish the opportunity to perform on the material, adding their own flavours yet never trying to dominate. For me, the section on "Dark Arts" that really made me turn my head was some rippling piano behind the main melody which only lasted a few bars yet totally transformed the song.

There is aggression, huge breadth of styles, yet it is always in total control. It may be solemn at times, yet there is a beauty and joy which swells through. I can imagine this being performed in a cathedral and the sounds reaching up to the vaulted ceilings and the reverberations and echoes taking the music to new heights. "Heretic" featuring "That" Joe Payne (The Enid) is incredibly powerful yet delicate, with Sally Kinnear providing some sublime backing and duet vocals. Sheer beauty, nothing less. It is hard to fathom this is just the second album by an independent musician, with no label support, yet surely it can only be a matter of time until he is picked up as this is a superb piece of work which needs much wider recognition.

Oh, those guests? How about Peter Jones, Sally Minnear, Lauren Nolan, Jean Pageau and That Joe Payne on vocals; Nick D'Virgilio on drums; Jon Camp, Simon Fitzpatrick and Billy Sherwood on bass; Vikram Shankar and Oliver Wakeman on keyboards; Zaid Crowe, Oliver Day and Michel St-Pere on guitar! They felt this was an important project to be involved, and your ears are demanding you get in involved with it as well. There is a grace within this album that is palpable. Go to the site, read about the album, then buy it ? you will not regret it.

3 stars Basically, a disappointment after 'Capture light'. I think that it shows that such an album relies on the tonality of the singers, and this is where it falls down, with too many 'muddy' tones pervading the middle of the album. As an extreme example, didn't Chris Squire choose Jon Anderson because ... (read more)

Report this review (#2436469) | Posted by sussexbowler | Monday, August 10, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOHN HOLDEN "Rise and Fall"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.